Santa Cruz Megatower - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 2,000 of 2024
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redSled View Post
    IMHO yeah it's an improvement. I gained more compliance at initial stroke up to and slightly beyond sag without being too wallowing and the more pronounced midstroke support was noticeable on certain trails at speed, while turning and pumping.

With that said, this bike still wants to go fast or it still doesn't feel completely right at normal trail pace - no surprise. It's worth the grind up in order to bomb downward though. The Megneg won't turn this into a trail bike but it will make the rear end a little more comfortable and compliant at lower to moderate speeds while still allowing you to obtain full travel (when dialed in).
    Hmm I wonder if the leverage curve isn’t as similar to the Nomad even though both can take a coil. It seems that comment of the Megatower not really working until at Mach speed seems to be pretty common and some reviews thinking a lighter compression tune would help. Never really hear these comments on the Nomad and owning one I can say the rear is pretty impressive ground traction I just wonder what a megneg would do but no one in the Nomad section has tried one. Maybe I’ll just have to go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill View Post
    Hmm I wonder if the leverage curve isn’t as similar to the Nomad even though both can take a coil. It seems that comment of the Megatower not really working until at Mach speed seems to be pretty common and some reviews thinking a lighter compression tune would help. Never really hear these comments on the Nomad and owning one I can say the rear is pretty impressive ground traction I just wonder what a megneg would do but no one in the Nomad section has tried one. Maybe I’ll just have to go for it.
    Only way to find out is to be the pioneer for the Nomad people haha. I'm not quite done tweaking yet, very close. Might drop a band and go down to 2. Still gonna stick to 32-33% sag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I didn't feel at all like it rode up in the travel. Since you're running no bands, you are exacerbating the effect of the megneg in that you'll have the most mid stroke support (which is likely what you're feeling) and it should be MUCH more plush in the beginning of the stroke, up to and slightly past your sag point.

My bike became so much more easier to pedal hard over chunkier sections of trail because the rear end wasn't dancing around. So much softer and floatier in that early stroke but not negatively. Gotta find the right balance with it. Try to add two bands and play with it some more. Sag at 32 ish % and you'll need to take away rebound dampening with the larger - chamber almost certainly.

You should be able to use all your travel once or so on the roughest bits or drops, etc. of your ride for the day  this thing really does take a lot of experimenting to get it right. Think I'm about there now.
    I ended up running two bands in the negative chamber, psi went down to 255-ish, and I added a larger orange volume spacer to my Fox 36 (it's a 16/17 non boost Fox 36 with a bunch of tweaks).

Overall: better

The o-ring landed just short of the 57.5mm mark on the shock so I was using full most of all the travel. The bike felt overall better balanced front and rear. Still not running any tokens in the shock. For my last little loop on the mountain I threw in a third band but I didn't get a chance to fully open her up. I think I'll end up settling on the two bands. And yes, still pedals great in those little sections where you have to jump a bunch of gears and extend the dropper in a moment's notice.

I gotta say... even though this is supposed to be an 'enduro' bike, I think it out performs my previous 'all mountain' bike in all aspects....including pedaling uphill. I truly think any bike that needs to be pedaled even a little bit, whether is has 120mm or 170mm travel, needs that 76+% seat angle.

Since everyone is more or less running their rebounds and compression settings open, I'm wondering if I could find someone to lighten the tune to put my adjusters more in the middle.
    Intense 951 Evo and Santa Cruz Megatower

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    I ended up running two bands in the negative chamber, psi went down to 255-ish, and I added a larger orange volume spacer to my Fox 36 (it's a 16/17 non boost Fox 36 with a bunch of tweaks).

Overall: better

The o-ring landed just short of the 57.5mm mark on the shock so I was using full most of all the travel. The bike felt overall better balanced front and rear. Still not running any tokens in the shock. For my last little loop on the mountain I threw in a third band but I didn't get a chance to fully open her up. I think I'll end up settling on the two bands. And yes, still pedals great in those little sections where you have to jump a bunch of gears and extend the dropper in a moment's notice.

I gotta say... even though this is supposed to be an 'enduro' bike, I think it out performs my previous 'all mountain' bike in all aspects....including pedaling uphill. I truly think any bike that needs to be pedaled even a little bit, whether is has 120mm or 170mm travel, needs that 76+% seat angle.

Since everyone is more or less running their rebounds and compression settings open, I'm wondering if I could find someone to lighten the tune to put my adjusters more in the middle.
    That's all good to hear man! You probably won't need any tokens in the + end with two bands. You and I must be damn close in weight because I'm finding myself in that 250-260 psi range as well.

Remember, the more bands you add, the less supportive the mid stroke gets and you start to lose a little of that cush in the beginning stroke up to the sag point or so.

I feel like 2 to 3 bands is going to be the sweet spot on this shock (with megneg). The first time out, I had one band and while it felt super plush off the top, it got a little wallowy in other conditions - ie not enough motion control early in the stroke, followed by a more abrupt ramp up in resistance by mid stroke. Felt off. I just need to settle on either 2 or 3 bands - no token or my 'custom' shaved down token lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So turns out a local suspension shop (well an hour away) that mostly deals with RockShox, agree the tune for the Megatower is too harsh and they can tune the SD to lighten it up. I might try that for now.

shredthögnar
    so far no luck opening my super deluxe (to install megneg) using just gloves and elbow grease. Have to take a stroll to my lbs to have it crack'd open, heh.

mtbr member
    So turns out a local suspension shop (well an hour away) that mostly deals with RockShox, agree the tune for the Megatower is too harsh and they can tune the SD to lighten it up. I might try that for now.
    That's interesting because I ran mine with the LSR and LSC nearly closed. It could have been me trying to compensate for the small negative chamber though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    they preload the rebound shimstack, effectively making it an orifice damper. sending it to vorsprung is the best thing you can do for that shock. after they work on it, it becomes a world class damper that also happens to weigh 150 grams less than an X2, is easier to work on, and is more reliable than X2.

also, the megneg does wonders for this shock and it's a real tragedy it's not spec'd as OEM on bikes that aren't already highly progressive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_futurist View Post
    so far no luck opening my super deluxe (to install megneg) using just gloves and elbow grease. Have to take a stroll to my lbs to have it crack'd open, heh.
    I cracked my super deluxe open last night to add a volume spacer. Strap wrench on the can and adjustable wrench on the eyelet above the piggyback did the trick. There is no chance I could've gotten enough purchase on the can with just my hand due to the piggyback being in the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Need some advice guys. I have a HT2 on order and a few weeks out. This is probably the best bike in stock form for me. My local shop has the MT in stock in both air and coil. Question is, is there a way to basically "detune" the MT to make it more nimble at slower speeds and more plush like the HT2? I haven't ridden one but hear the MT is more stable (not as maneuverable) and comes alive at higher speeds. Might not be as plush over the small trail trash but does great with large hits and speed.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Need some advice guys. I have a HT2 on order and a few weeks out. This is probably the best bike in stock form for me. My local shop has the MT in stock in both air and coil. Question is, is there a way to basically "detune" the MT to make it more nimble at slower speeds and more plush like the HT2? I haven't ridden one but hear the MT is more stable (not as maneuverable) and comes alive at higher speeds. Might not be as plush over the small trail trash but does great with large hits and speed.
    If you want a bike like the HT2 then wait for it. The MT will not be a HT2 whatever you'll do with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Fluid Function?

The HT2 comes with an LL (low compression/low rebound) tune on its SuperD and rides much more sensitive to square edge hits than the Megatower.
    The Megatower comes with a MM tune and as you see rides harshly, and as reported in their marketing and reviews more tuned for the 'racers'.

I'm not sure the MegNeg is the best call for the Megatower as its already quite progressive and the MegNeg will only make it MORE progressive.

I would love to hear what they suggest and hope that a tune change is all the Megatower needs.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the best tune for MT is a coil

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Fluid Function is the one.

I haven't seen any leverage ratio graphs to show how progressive the Megatower is. Either way, two bands in the MegNeg seemed to work well...for me anyway. No volume spacers in the positive chamber. I'm kinda torn between going to Fluid Function for a simple re-tune ($140 CAD plus some taxes and shipping) or going a little further to Whistler and sending it to Vorsprung for their Tractive tune ($310 CAD).

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Which sounds cool as I‘ll be getting mine in two weeks time (after having waited for more than 5 months for the frameset).

Depending on how the RS Coil works in the MT, I‘ll be getting an EXT Storia before long.

Which brings me to the question how well the RS Coil performs in the MT. I‘m a heavy rider (90kg) and have already bought a 550 spring as mine comes with a 500. I don‘t really care for the weight but would really like to know how the RS fairs in the MT.

Just wondering because before the MT SC went for Fox and I would like to know if the change is just economy based.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Sounds like the best tune for MT is a coil

shredthögnar
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I'm not sure the MegNeg is the best call for the Megatower as its already quite progressive and the MegNeg will only make it MORE progressive.
    Dunno what's the factory setting on the SD regarding spacers, but at 30% sag I like the suppleness but could use more mid and end support. MegNeg seems to address some of these needs according to reviews, but of course I also read the review on Storia yesterday and want one just like everyone else now :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Dunno what's the factory setting on the SD regarding spacers, but at 30% sag I like the suppleness but could use more mid and end support. MegNeg seems to address some of these needs according to reviews, but of course I also read the review on Storia yesterday and want one just like everyone else now :-)
    Having ran a EXT on my Bronson V3 I am now considering one of those or an ElevenSix for my MegaTower. Decisions, decisions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It's pretty wild how different some people's experiences are with the shock. At 30% sag I found it to he anything but plush. Harsh off the top, rough on the successive square edge hits, etc. I still remind myself this is not a trail bike. I deal with the climbs and tech sections of trail in order to fly back down. 33% sag and two spacers helped a bit. Megneg helped some more. At the end of the day, it still has a M/M shim stack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Fluid Function is the one.

I haven't seen any leverage ratio graphs to show how progressive the Megatower is. Either way, two bands in the MegNeg seemed to work well...for me anyway. No volume spacers in the positive chamber. I'm kinda torn between going to Fluid Function for a simple re-tune ($140 CAD plus some taxes and shipping) or going a little further to Whistler and sending it to Vorsprung for their Tractive tune ($310 CAD).
    Exactly, that's where I'm at now. 2 bands and now nothing in the + end. My last ride was also 2 bands but with 1 shaved down single token (little thicker than 1/2 a token) in the +. I'd previously done 3 bands with my 'custom' token and that was OK, but think I like the slight decrease in initial stroke resistance with 2 bands.

Despite with anyone says about how progressive the MT is, the Megneg seems to just work. With my Megneg setup and 33% sag I still found bottom once or twice on larger drops on my runs. So...still not experiencing increased difficulty to use full travel.

It also seems mildly suspicious there hasn't been any data regarding this frame's progression curve, despite constant assurance of it's progressive nature.

FWIW, I run the frame in Hi mode. Also, FWIW, the Santa Cruz enduro team is currently testing and racing (at Northstar) with the Megneg on the SD shock on their MT bikes. More testing to come before Zermatt.

Not a clue what tune the team guys have on their SD shocks but, they still are experimenting with Megneg...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post

Which brings me to the question how well the RS Coil performs in the MT. I‘m a heavy rider (90kg) and have already bought a 550 spring as mine comes with a 500. I don‘t really care for the weight but would really like to know how the RS fairs in the MT.
    I think it actually feels pretty good. I have my bike in the low setting and it feels supportive in the mid stroke but still sensitive off the top. It still feels a little harsh with the square edge stuff at slower speeds, but at race speeds it really feels better. I will echo every review and say that it really comes alive when pushed hard. With a 170 up front and the low setting, the bb isn’t too low and everything still feels balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    I think it actually feels pretty good. I have my bike in the low setting and it feels supportive in the mid stroke but still sensitive off the top. It still feels a little harsh with the square edge stuff at slower speeds, but at race speeds it really feels better. I will echo every review and say that it really comes alive when pushed hard. With a 170 up front and the low setting, the bb isn’t too low and everything still feels balanced.

Thanks for the info. I'll be running it with my Selva up front so there won't be any 170mm anytime soon. I'll start in the high setting and go from there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's pretty wild how different some people's experiences are with the shock. At 30% sag I found it to he anything but plush. Harsh off the top, rough on the successive square edge hits, etc. I still remind myself this is not a trail bike. I deal with the climbs and tech sections of trail in order to fly back down. 33% sag and two spacers helped a bit. Megneg helped some more. At the end of the day, it still has a M/M shim stack.
    So looks like I’m going to finally jump into the custom tune route. This is for my Nomad not a megatower but thought you guys might be interested to know in Steve’s opinion the MegNeg won’t compliment the Nomad and Megatower and you’ll end up more sagged and slacked out. Using the MegNeg to try and fix sensitivity and harshness seems to be the wrong route. I think it’s starting to become agreed upon that the stock damper tune is just very heavy (at least on the megatower). Maybe SantaCruz really needed something between light and medium but RS doesn’t seem as willing to make custom tunes so they went for more support, maybe why the tall boy is back on Fox now that they offer the rear eyelet bearings and do custom valving for their oem stuff.

Excited to see how my turns out, seems all reviews have been positive and thanks to vorsprung to keeping it user serviceable after.

mtbr member
    So looks like I’m going to finally jump into the custom tune route. This is for my Nomad not a megatower but thought you guys might be interested to know in Steve’s opinion the MegNeg won’t compliment the Nomad and Megatower and you’ll end up more sagged and slacked out. Using the MegNeg to try and fix sensitivity and harshness seems to be the wrong route. I think it’s starting to become agreed upon that the stock damper tune is just very heavy (at least on the megatower). Maybe SantaCruz really needed something between light and medium but RS doesn’t seem as willing to make custom tunes so they went for more support, maybe why the tall boy is back on Fox now that they offer the rear eyelet bearings and do custom valving for their oem stuff.

Excited to see how my turns out, seems all reviews have been positive and thanks to vorsprung to keeping it user serviceable after.
    We are going to be making a link for the Megatower in the near future that's similar in concept to the one we did with the Nomad. This link is more progressive than the stock link and intended to be run with the light (Nomad) tuned RS products. Depending on the travel reducer used in the shock (57.5, 60, 0r 65 mm stroke) the link will be able to provide 166, 170, or 180 mm of travel. We've been testing the most extreme variation on the shore and it has been awesome...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeComponents View Post
    We are going to be making a link for the Megatower in the near future that's similar in concept to the one we did with the Nomad. This link is more progressive than the stock link and intended to be run with the light (Nomad) tuned RS products. Depending on the travel reducer used in the shock (57.5, 60, 0r 65 mm stroke) the link will be able to provide 166, 170, or 180 mm of travel. We've been testing the most extreme variation on the shore and it has been awesome...
    I don’t think the Nomad comes with a “light” tune, at least mine and others I’ve seen are M/M

mtbr member
    I don’t think the Nomad comes with a “light” tune, at least mine and others I’ve seen are M/M
    I've talked to Steve at Vorsprung a fair bit about suspension tunes vs leverage ratios and he mentioned that the Nomad uses a lighter tune than the Megatower. I would assume that makes it a light tune since I don't think there's anything between medium and light, but that's an assumption. Also I would assume Steve is right since suspension tunes are his business. I did take the shock off my Nomad and put it on a Megatower and it felt more lively. Maybe that could be because of the damping tune, but maybe it's because the shock was well ridden in.

Steve actually has one of our pre-production Megatower links so he could maybe comment on that at some point.

mtbr member
    Anybody notice a difference in shock sensitivity between long and short chainstay position? There should be some but not sure if it is noticeable.

I second the opinions about coming alive when plowing. I'm working on my own tuning but the chainstay lengthing should make it more sensitive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Storia works well 👍

Santa Cruz Megatower-bd5ef10f-ad2f-43dd-a0ee-58e875a1fc14.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeComponents View Post
    I've talked to Steve at Vorsprung a fair bit about suspension tunes vs leverage ratios and he mentioned that the Nomad uses a lighter tune than the Megatower. I would assume that makes it a light tune since I don't think there's anything between medium and light, but that's an assumption. Also I would assume Steve is right since suspension tunes are his business. I did take the shock off my Nomad and put it on a Megatower and it felt more lively. Maybe that could be because of the damping tune, but maybe it's because the shock was well ridden in.

Steve actually has one of our pre-production Megatower links so he could maybe comment on that at some point.
    Huh that’s interesting, so maybe RS does have more than one medium tune now. It would explain why the Nomad never got the harshness comments that the Megatower does but mine and other shocks are clearly etched M/M 320 so it should be medium/medium 320lbs threshold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ND79 View Post
    Storia works well
    Interesting. I'll be riding the RS coil for now as I'm not willing to pay 1000€ without having tested the shock the frame comes with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    Like someone said
    How does the color hold up? Did you just spray the spring with no prior treatment?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    All interesting stuff for sure (Vorsprung, Cascade Components...etc).

As much as I hate to admit it, I found the full lockout on the SD actually helpful during the mind-numbing fireroad climbs. It puts you at the top of that 76 deg seat angle and makes the bike move that much easier than even in the middle position. So while Vorsprung says their tuning isn't for people wanting a lockout, I wonder how 'stiff' that setting would be. Same goes for Avalanche. I'll have to call Craig and see what he says about his system since I already have one of his cartridges in my fork.

Now regarding Push Industries...I'm assuming that since the Nomad V4 uses the 'SS' or compact reservoir on their ElevenSix the Megatower would need the same??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    All interesting stuff for sure (Vorsprung, Cascade Components...etc).

As much as I hate to admit it, I found the full lockout on the SD actually helpful during the mind-numbing fireroad climbs. It puts you at the top of that 76 deg seat angle and makes the bike move that much easier than even in the middle position. So while Vorsprung says their tuning isn't for people wanting a lockout, I wonder how 'stiff' that setting would be. Same goes for Avalanche. I'll have to call Craig and see what he says about his system since I already have one of his cartridges in my fork.

Now regarding Push Industries...I'm assuming that since the Nomad V4 uses the 'SS' or compact reservoir on their ElevenSix the Megatower would need the same??
    If you have an RCT I don’t believe the lockout force gets changed at all. The RCT I believe has a HSC stack and then a second pathway/piston and threshold shim stack on the reservoir piston. The lever closed off the HSC and forces all oil through the threshold circuit if I’m thinking this right. Guess I’ll see what I have when I get mine back, I never really used the lever climbing off-road anyway.

shredthögnar
    I'm coming from bird am9 which has one of the highest antisquats available and is quite harsh. Compared to that MT feels like a magic carpet :-D recently tried the new ht2 and I do notice it being slightly bit plusher. But then again when just plowing thru rocks I'm happy I went with the bigger brother

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    vorsprung threshold feels about like 320lb stock threshhold. maybe a bit softer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Had a few rides on my MegaTower coming off a V3 Bronson and it feels really good. Felt quite like my Bronson which is a good thing. Hopefully out on it again tomorrow. Currently running a SD air shock but putting an Elevensix on next week.

mtbr member
    Love this color.
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Love this color.
    I‘ll spray my spring today. It‘s gonna be a darkish blue like the i9 hubs I‘m running.

mtbr member
    I‘ll spray my spring today. It‘s gonna be a darkish blue like the i9 hubs I‘m running.
    Will looks nice!!!
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Headed to N* this weekend... I scooped up a demo 11/6 from my local bike shop to test over the weekend. Coming off a superdeluxe air that was stock on my cc x01 build. This will be my first test on coil for this frame.

I also threw a set of cushcore XC into my park wheelset to try it out. I put a 2.5 EXO+ assegai on the front paired with the 2.4 exo+ dhr2 in back, both with cc xc inserts. The assegai is a beast, but also a boat anchor of a tire. It provides a noticeable increase in grip over the DHF (let's call it 20-25% in my loose socal conditions) and prob adds a 10% rolling speed hit.

The 11/6 already feels ridiculous even playing around in my neighborhood. I already want one. The shop put me on a 475lb spring for 185lb riding weight. Seems light to me but sag numbers seem to check out in low setting. Anyone close to that weight that can comment on what spring they are running?

Santa Cruz Megatower-img_20190904_070849.jpgSanta Cruz Megatower-img_20190904_070743.jpg

mtbr member
    One more tidbet of info that may be helpful to some. I swapped tires on all of my wheelsets over the last 2 weeks and I weighted the built up wheelsets.

SC Reserve Set:
    -30iw
    -dt350 hubs
    -GX cassette
    -200mm Rotors
    -Front 1055g
    -Rear 1590g
    -Total 2645

Stock Aluminum Mega wheelset
    -30iw arc 30
    -dt 350 hubs
    -GX Eagle Cassette
    -200mm Rotors
    -Front 1130g
    -Rear 1665g
    -Total 2795g

Delta between the stock megatower aluminum wheelset to SC reserve carbon is 150g. With equal hubs.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190904_070743.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	1276607
    How do you like the Synchros fender?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Guys,

Do you know if your Megatower's have the updated Reverbs that have the "vent valve" that is similar to the Revive dropper?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocksh...t900amcst.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    How do you like the Synchros fender?
    I like it. The only drawback (which you can see in my photo in post #1840) is that it has an open area between the tire sidewall/casing and the stanchion. This can allow mud/dirt to access the dust wiper area, although in practice, I haven't had this become an issue.

The good parts is that it covers all of the backside of the frame bridge/arch so that dirt and mud can't get in there. It's stiff enough to do what it needs to, but flexible enough to not get messed up, or get tweaked and not return back to it's normal shape. The other nice thing is that just attaches with two screws into the bridge instead of zip ties. The screws are a bit of a pain to access because with a L shaped torx tool, you can't get a full revolution on the bolt. Minor quibble but I think it's a good fender and I like that I can attach it to the fork without creating the possibility of scratching or wearing down the fork finish. Granted, my crashes are far more efficient at that then any fender ever could be...

LCW
    mtbr member
    I like it. The only drawback (which you can see in my photo in post #1840) is that it has an open area between the tire sidewall/casing and the stanchion. This can allow mud/dirt to access the dust wiper area, although in practice, I haven't had this become an issue.

The good parts is that it covers all of the backside of the frame bridge/arch so that dirt and mud can't get in there. It's stiff enough to do what it needs to, but flexible enough to not get messed up, or get tweaked and not return back to it's normal shape. The other nice thing is that just attaches with two screws into the bridge instead of zip ties. The screws are a bit of a pain to access because with a L shaped torx tool, you can't get a full revolution on the bolt. Minor quibble but I think it's a good fender and I like that I can attach it to the fork without creating the possibility of scratching or wearing down the fork finish. Granted, my crashes are far more efficient at that then any fender ever could be...
    Great - thanks for providing those details!

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member

A few people said is too small compared to normal size ones. What do you tjing about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Time to enjoy this Beast!!

Santa Cruz Megatower-5c5356ea-ef67-4fad-ad58-ea821026c0a7.jpg

Finally tried the long chainstay option last weekend, riding park (Thunder Mountain, MA). Really liked it!!! I'm 6'1", riding an XL MT. Coil SD shock.

There's not a huge difference to the short chainstay, but I did feel that there's a little more 'room' to balance your weight between front and rear wheel, in steep gnarly trails. Bike didn't loose any poppyness on jump trails.

I'm now keeping the bike in long chainstays, low flip-chip position all the time. Even for trail riding (RI).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lankycrank View Post
    Finally tried the long chainstay option last weekend, riding park (Thunder Mountain, MA). Really liked it!!! I'm 6'1", riding an XL MT. Coil SD shock.

There's not a huge difference to the short chainstay, but I did feel that there's a little more 'room' to balance your weight between front and rear wheel, in steep gnarly trails. Bike didn't loose any poppyness on jump trails.

I'm now keeping the bike in long chainstays, low flip-chip position all the time. Even for trail riding (RI).
    I find climbing better in the long position, makes sense, better grip and less 'wheelie' off the back in steep tech. I also don't find the SA to be that steep in the Low position so the Long position helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It seems as if SC doesn‘t offer the MT frameset with the coil shock anymore. I‘ll be getting it next week or so it seems.

At 200lbs, will I need tokens for the shock?

mtbr member
    It seems as if SC doesn‘t offer the MT frameset with the coil shock anymore. I‘ll be getting it next week or so it seems.

At 200lbs, will I need tokens for the shock?
    Yeah, I'm 215 and ended up needing 2.5 tokens.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Those gnar dog ones?

Edit: A quick read told me that a gnar dog token is like 2.5 normal tokens. What I don‘t understand is if they come in different sizes. Oh and does SC deliver tokens with their frameset or are any tokens installed?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Yeah, I'm 215 and ended up needing 2.5 tokens.

mtbr member
    Those gnar dog ones?

Edit: A quick read told me that a gnar dog token is like 2.5 normal tokens. What I don‘t understand is if they come in different sizes. Oh and does SC deliver tokens with their frameset or are any tokens installed?
    Yeah, I ended up with just the gnar dog token. The token options are regular tokens and the gnar dog token (1 gnar dog = 2.5 regular tokens). SC doesn't ship the bike with any tokens.

mtbr member
    Just got back from my weekend at N* raging my megatower. I had been enjoying my megatower before this last weekend... but getting it into the bike park solidified all of the reasons why I own it. I rode it in low, short with an 11/6 demo I had from my LBS. I fell in love with the 11/6 almost immediately, will be placing an order for one of those soon.

I destroyed a dhr2 on the first run that took 4 dynaplugs in the tread and 2 in the bead, despite running cushcore and 30psi. I annihilated the stock RF offset rear wheel on the last run, every single spoke is loose.

The megatower performed great, more impressions on the 11/6 later. My current plan is to borrow a stock SD Coil setup for a few rides so I can determine of the 11/6 is worth it over the stock sd.

mtbr member
    Just got back from my weekend at N* raging my megatower. I had been enjoying my megatower before this last weekend... but getting it into the bike park solidified all of the reasons why I own it. I rode it in low, short with an 11/6 demo I had from my LBS. I fell in love with the 11/6 almost immediately, will be placing an order for one of those soon.

I destroyed a dhr2 on the first run that took 4 dynaplugs in the tread and 2 in the bead, despite running cushcore and 30psi. I annihilated the stock RF offset rear wheel on the last run, every single spoke is loose.

The megatower performed great, more impressions on the 11/6 later. My current plan is to borrow a stock SD Coil setup for a few rides so I can determine of the 11/6 is worth it over the stock sd.
    Thats something im waiting i have stock coil with 600lbs spring and the idea of the 11-6, is on my head everyday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thats something im waiting i have stock coil with 600lbs spring and the idea of the 11-6, is on my head everyday.
    EXT Storia should be nice too.

mtbr member
    I annihilated the stock RF offset rear wheel on the last run, every single spoke is loose.
    Mine has gotten so bad I've had to tighten the loose spokes mid-ride the last few times I rode. It's at the LBS getting some sort of thread locker put on. I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting the SC Reserve upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I usually setup my bikes to be as firm and supportive as I can get away with, just before it feels harsh. I find this bike to have good suppleness and sensitivity near sag, and terrific big hit feel, but I'm struggling on those successive 75% hits. The bottom out bumper in the X2 kicks in around 75% and ramps up quickly. You can feel this when cycling through the shock with no air. I'm pretty happy with the feel except this area around 75% stroke where the shock ramp up meets suspension ramp up. Feels like a dead spot on successive square edge hits where the back end feels wooden. I've been able to soften this area by removing all tokens (+ adding more air pressure) and making the shock more linear but makes the suspension a little dead for my liking.

I'm wondering what other owners are running for their X2 setups. I'm struggling with getting the rear end to feel exactly how I want.

2 setups that are close to dialed for me right now. I weigh about 175lbs.

215psi
    1 volume spacer
    Fast-ish rebound.
    almost no lsc/hsc
    Goal - soften the shock ramp up and rely more on the frame. Feels more plush but a bit vague overall. Adding a bit more lsc helps a tad. I imagine this is what a coil would feel like.

195psi
    3 volume spacers
    Fast-ish rebound.
    almost no lsc/hsc
    Goal - Increase the progression/support before the sharp 75% ramp up. Feels more predicable but still using more travel than I'd like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    From what you describe it sounds like the frame has too much progression for the bump stop in the X2. Tried rolling it back to the old pre-2019 bump stop design?

Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    I usually setup my bikes to be as firm and supportive as I can get away with, just before it feels harsh. I find this bike to have good suppleness and sensitivity near sag, and terrific big hit feel, but I'm struggling on those successive 75% hits. The bottom out bumper in the X2 kicks in around 75% and ramps up quickly. You can feel this when cycling through the shock with no air. I'm pretty happy with the feel except this area around 75% stroke where the shock ramp up meets suspension ramp up. Feels like a dead spot on successive square edge hits where the back end feels wooden.....”

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Can anyone confirm which damper tune the SuperDeluxe Air on the Mega ships with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoGram View Post
    From what you describe it sounds like the frame has too much progression for the bump stop in the X2. Tried rolling it back to the old pre-2019 bump stop design?
    Possibly. I'll need to do some research to understand what changes were made to the bump stop.

I wonder if much of the hard edge feel could be from the rigid chassis of the Megatower. I definitely like having feedback through my hands and feet, but it's enough that makes me wonder what's going on back there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I usually setup my bikes to be as firm and supportive as I can get away with, just before it feels harsh. I find this bike to have good suppleness and sensitivity near sag, and terrific big hit feel, but I'm struggling on those successive 75% hits. The bottom out bumper in the X2 kicks in around 75% and ramps up quickly. You can feel this when cycling through the shock with no air. I'm pretty happy with the feel except this area around 75% stroke where the shock ramp up meets suspension ramp up. Feels like a dead spot on successive square edge hits where the back end feels wooden. I've been able to soften this area by removing all tokens (+ adding more air pressure) and making the shock more linear but makes the suspension a little dead for my liking.

I'm wondering what other owners are running for their X2 setups. I'm struggling with getting the rear end to feel exactly how I want.

215psi
    1 volume spacer
    Fast-ish rebound.
    almost no lsc/hsc
    Goal - soften the shock ramp up and rely more on the frame. Feels more plush but a bit vague overall. Adding a bit more lsc helps a tad. I imagine this is what a coil would feel like.

195psi
    3 volume spacers
    Fast-ish rebound.
    almost no lsc/hsc
    Goal - Increase the progression/support before the sharp 75% ramp up. Feels more predicable but still using more travel than I'd like.
    what do you weight?

mtbr member
    Possibly. I'll need to do some research to understand what changes were made to the bump stop.

I wonder if much of the hard edge feel could be from the rigid chassis of the Megatower. I definitely like having feedback through my hands and feet, but it's enough that makes me wonder what's going on back there.
    Have you looked at Fox's damper recommendations for the X2? I'd start there.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...dampersettings

You'll basically then have to go through the "is it better or worse" test by adjusting pressure and each damper setting one at a time. I found not enough HSC on this shock will feel a bit wooden on the hits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Any riding impressions on it? Did you get needle bearings for it or just normal 30x8 ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by ND79 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD5EF10F-AD2F-43DD-A0EE-58E875A1FC14.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	1275603

mtbr member
    Well second ride with archer components d1xtrail, really amazing stuff for the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andi73 View Post
    what do you weight?
    175lbs

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Can anyone confirm that the RS Super Deluxe only has a stroke reducer installed if taken out will lead to 65mm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

215psi
    1 volume spacer
    Fast-ish rebound.
    almost no lsc/hsc

195psi
    3 volume spacers
    Fast-ish rebound.
    almost no lsc/hsc
    I have an X2 on my MT as well. I weigh about 170 but have the bike roughly setup for 180 pound rider (I lost some weight and didnt realise!) and I found it to be a bit stiff on my last ride. I am going to try a softer setting tomorrow. But for what it is worth. Here are my current settings, and in brackets the settings I will try tomorrow.

Fox X2

SAG 30% (Required me to pump to 210 PSI on gauge but will try 200PSI or 32% SAG)

Clickers
    LSR - 12 out
    HSR - 11 out
    LSC - 15 out (will try 17 out)
    HSC - 14 out

Fox OEM Performance 36 at 80PSI (Felt too stiff so I'm lowering to 72PSI for next ride)

Tyre Pressure on the stock Maxxis Minions:
    Front: 21PSI
    Rear: 22PSI

I find the bike handles big hits well but feels a bit stiff/harsh in the smaller choppy stuff. I'm sure with some tinkering I will find the sweet spot with this X2. After all, the beauty of the X2 is in the level of adjustability its reasonable that it would require some time to find the best settings for your trail.

Just some additional background. The bike came with the Rockshox Coil select Plus and I really like that shock! Nothings beats the buttery smooth feel of the coil shock and the confidence it gives you. The X2 however brings the bike to life easier in the smaller stuff so I will likely keep it on the bike.

Overall, I am really enjoying this bike and couldn't be happier.

Will report back with any updates I have after the ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The guys with X2/DHX2 shocks, ever consider custom tuning? While marketing says you can tune these twin-tube style dampers to any bike and rider, I don't think it's necessarily true.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtek5 View Post
    I have an X2 on my MT as well. I weigh about 170 but have the bike roughly setup for 180 pound rider (I lost some weight and didnt realise!) and I found it to be a bit stiff on my last ride. I am going to try a softer setting tomorrow. But for what it is worth. Here are my current settings, and in brackets the settings I will try tomorrow.

Fox X2

SAG 30% (Required me to pump to 210 PSI on gauge but will try 200PSI or 32% SAG)

Clickers
    LSR - 12 out
    HSR - 11 out
    LSC - 15 out (will try 17 out)
    HSC - 14 out

Fox OEM Performance 36 at 80PSI (Felt too stiff so I'm lowering to 72PSI for next ride)

Tyre Pressure on the stock Maxxis Minions:
    Front: 21PSI
    Rear: 22PSI

I find the bike handles big hits well but feels a bit stiff/harsh in the smaller choppy stuff. I'm sure with some tinkering I will find the sweet spot with this X2. After all, the beauty of the X2 is in the level of adjustability its reasonable that it would require some time to find the best settings for your trail.

Just some additional background. The bike came with the Rockshox Coil select Plus and I really like that shock! Nothings beats the buttery smooth feel of the coil shock and the confidence it gives you. The X2 however brings the bike to life easier in the smaller stuff so I will likely keep it on the bike.

Overall, I am really enjoying this bike and couldn't be happier.

Will report back with any updates I have after the ride tomorrow.
    If your shock is feeling stiff/harsh, in the smaller choppy stuff, try using as little as possible (or even none) LSC and HSC. Just dial in enough damping to where you are not bottoming out to frequently. I usually start with none, then dial some in to taste. Just my 2 cents. Give it a try. Once you’ve felt the buttery feel of a coil, you get spoiled and it’s hard to go back to air. If plush is your thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Been running this shock since end June. Had it fitted by Mojo Rising based in Monmouth. They make brass bushes on site so went with those. Best shock I’ve ridden. Historically on other bikes I’ve had DHX2. Dpx2. X2. RS coil that came on MT. Chris at Mojo also did a bike set up with me which resulted in a stiffer fork set up. I think this has also helped quite a lot.

Overall this is the best shock I’ve ridden. Feels plush but plenty to push against once the tune was dialled in. The bottom out is great which means you can afford a bit more plush without any harsh bangs off bigger hits.

Off the bike last two weeks with separated shoulder but itching to get riding again. Bike is awesome

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Any riding impressions on it? Did you get needle bearings for it or just normal 30x8 ones?
    Thought I’d quoted your question. Answer above. 👍

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Who’s got the lightest Large CC? I just finished my build. Major components include Fox 36 Factory 170, Float X2, i9 Enduro 310c wheels, sRAM XO1 drivetrain, HT flats, onza Aquila tires. Came out to 31.8 lbs. I was hoping for sub-31 but oh well.

Hope to get it out on the trail this week. Feels great on asphalt despite upsizing.

Interesting note: you can’t slam a Fox Transfer 150mm internal in a large frame due to how the cable guide exits frame from right side (down in seat tube).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    FWIW my medium CC with Fox x2, XTR and i9 101 wheelset came in at 31.3 with pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Large CC with Super Deluxe Coil, 170mm Lyrik, Saint brakes, Reserves w/i9 Hydras, EXO+ Minions, and Deity Bladerunner pedals puts it at 32.9 pounds. Not exactly the lightest components, but feels great to me. Still climbs worlds better than my Gen 3 Nomad.

32.1 pounds without the pedals FWIW.

Santa Cruz Megatower-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    im think about giving a DHX2 a try but still not sure which would be the right spring rate for my weight (165lb).
    What would you suggest and what spring rate do you ride in reference to your weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SebIBK View Post
    im think about giving a DPX2 a try but still not sure which would be the right spring rate for my weight (165lb).
    What would you suggest and what spring rate do you ride in reference to your weight?
    Dpx2 is air shock

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I meant the dhx2

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Santa Cruz website recommended spring rate was spot on for me, 82kg = 500lb, so would probably be a decent starting point. Make of coil shock shouldn't make a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by a_double View Post
    Who’s got the lightest Large CC? I just finished my build. Major components include Fox 36 Factory 170, Float X2, i9 Enduro 310c wheels, sRAM XO1 drivetrain, HT flats, onza Aquila tires. Came out to 31.8 lbs. I was hoping for sub-31 but oh well.
    With a different rear tire, I would've gotten sub 31. As it is now (see parts below) it came in at 31lbs.

Frame and Forks

• Frame: Santa Cruz Megatower CC 2019 (Size L) (green)
    • Forks: Formula Selva 160mm (orange CTS, 2 Neopos)
    • Rear Shox: Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ultimate

Wheels

• Front hub: i9 Hydra (blue)
    • Rear hub: I9 Hydra (blue)
    • Front rim: DT EX511 29’’
    • Rear rim: DT EX471 29’’
    • Spokes front: Sapim Sapim Laser/Laser
    • Spokes rear: Sapim Laser/D-Light
    • Nipples: Sapim Polyax Double Square Alloy (blue)
    • Rim tape: DT Swiss
    • Tires: Der Kaiser Projekt 2.4 front/ Der Kaiser Projekt 2.4 rear (tubless setup)

Brakes

• Front brake: Trickstuff Direttissima, Trickstuff Power+ pads, Trickstuff UL rotor 203mm
    • Rear brake: Trickstuff Direttissima, Trickstuff Standard pads, Trickstuff UL rotor 203mm

Drivetrain

• Cranks: Shimano XTR 9120
    • Front Chainring: Absolute Black oval 28T
    • 74 Designz Tacco Bash inkl. Chainguide
    • Hope Bottom Bracket (blue)

Groupset: XTR M9100

Seating

• Saddle: Mcfk padded
    • Seatpost: Bikeyoke Revive 185mm
    • Seat Clamp: Cruel Components (blue)

Steering

• Headset: Hope (IS41/IS52)
    • Stem: Intend Grace EN 31.8mm
    • Grips: Ergon
    • Handlebars: Beast Components 31.8/35mm Rise

Invisiframe + Rock Guardz

Pedals: DMR Vault

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Man, I feel like mine is heavy at 33lb even. Maybe 32.9 depending on how the wind is blowing that day:

-Large CC frame with full RideWrap.
    -Crankbros Highline dropper with Ergon seat (I think it's the Highline post that's heavy)
    -RS Super Deluxe AIR

-RaceFace Next SL carbon cranks
    -Crankbros Mallet E pedals
    -MRP bashguard
    -Shimano XT drivetrain (RF bottom bracket, Oneup front ring)
    -Saint brakes with 203 rotors

-Chromag 50mm stem and Chromag 800mm carbon bar

-Industry 9 hubs with Nobl 36mm carbon rims
    -Maxxis DHR2 2.35 EXO rear tire with Cushcore insert
    -Maxxis Assegai 2.5 EXO front tire with no insert

-Fox 36 160mm (air spring)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for sharing spec's and weight folks.

Do you all think there is a significant difference in weight between black and green frames?

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing spec's and weight folks.

Do you all think there is a significant difference in weight between black and green frames?
    no. Fwiw, my XL x01 air build with reserves is 31.6lbs with a 2.5 DHF and 2.3 DHR2 and XTR trail pedals. Bike is stock save a bikeyoke revive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    With a different rear tire, I would've gotten sub 31. As it is now (see parts below) it came in at 31lbs.

Frame and Forks

• Frame: Santa Cruz Megatower CC 2019 (Size L) (green)
    • Forks: Formula Selva 160mm (orange CTS, 2 Neopos)
    • Rear Shox: Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ultimate

Wheels

• Front hub: i9 Hydra (blue)
    • Rear hub: I9 Hydra (blue)
    • Front rim: DT EX511 29’’
    • Rear rim: DT EX471 29’’
    • Spokes front: Sapim Sapim Laser/Laser
    • Spokes rear: Sapim Laser/D-Light
    • Nipples: Sapim Polyax Double Square Alloy (blue)
    • Rim tape: DT Swiss
    • Tires: Der Kaiser Projekt 2.4 front/ Der Kaiser Projekt 2.4 rear (tubless setup)

Brakes

• Front brake: Trickstuff Direttissima, Trickstuff Power+ pads, Trickstuff UL rotor 203mm
    • Rear brake: Trickstuff Direttissima, Trickstuff Standard pads, Trickstuff UL rotor 203mm

Drivetrain

• Cranks: Shimano XTR 9120
    • Front Chainring: Absolute Black oval 28T
    • 74 Designz Tacco Bash inkl. Chainguide
    • Hope Bottom Bracket (blue)

Groupset: XTR M9100

Seating

• Saddle: Mcfk padded
    • Seatpost: Bikeyoke Revive 185mm
    • Seat Clamp: Cruel Components (blue)

Steering

• Headset: Hope (IS41/IS52)
    • Stem: Intend Grace EN 31.8mm
    • Grips: Ergon
    • Handlebars: Beast Components 31.8/35mm Rise

Pedals: DMR Vault
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Megatower-20190917_151047.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've got a stock XO1 build that comes in at 32.72 on my scale. Only exceptions are below:

Industry Nine A35 Stem
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Vorsprung Luftkappe in the Fox 36
    Fox Kabolt on the 36
    Saint clipless pedals
    32t XX1 chainring
    185mm BikeYoke Revive Dropper post
    Vorsprung Tractive on the SD Air Ulitimate shock
    Specialized Phenom Cro-mo saddle
    We Are One Union 32h rims, double butted spokes, I9 Hydra hubs
    Specialized carbon Zee cage
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    You can win one of these from Trans-Cascadia if you donate to the $10 for Trails fundraiser. Money goes towards expanding and maintaining trails in the Cascades. They've done work all over the Willamette and Gifford-Pinchot National Forests over the past several years, including reopening some huge rides for the first time in decades (Grasshopper, Old Cascades Crest, O'Leary, just to name a few that I know personally here in Oregon). Plus, you know, you could win a Megatower.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I've got a stock XO1 build that comes in at 32.72 on my scale. Only exceptions are below:

Industry Nine A35 Stem
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Vorsprung Luftkappe in the Fox 36
    Fox Kabolt on the 36
    Saint clipless pedals
    32t XX1 chainring
    185mm BikeYoke Revive Dropper post
    Vorsprung Tractive on the SD Air Ulitimate shock
    Specialized Phenom Cro-mo saddle
    We Are One Union 32h rims, double butted spokes, I9 Hydra hubs
    Specialized carbon Zee cage
    Any pre and post vorsprung tractive ride reports?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    I am also interested in this info.

mtbr member
    Only a few rides so far, but loving it. I've ridden it on some rougher more XC pedally type trails, and one day riding some rougher/root filled gnar typical PNW stuff. Sounds cliche I know, but the shock just does what it needs to, and the rear end just kinda disappears.

Stays higher up in the midstroke, pedals well, and the bottom out is very smooth. Really happy with it so far, I'd highly recommend it. The climb switch is also nice. It essentially just moves the elbow of the LSC up, so it takes more force to open up the shock. But once that point is reached, it behaves the same as if the switch was off. I spoke with Steve @ VS, and he confirmed it was fine to ride a whole trail with the climb switch on, if say you were riding a XC/pedally trail.

I'm pretty good at noticing when something feels off, and not getting that feeling with this. I will be putting my X2 up for sale shortly.

FWIW, I didn't ever ride the SD Air in stock form. My Mega came with the coil, and I was using the X2 off my old Nomad on my Mega (with a spacer installed to limit the stroke to 57.5 vs 60mm)

Also, the SD Air is about 130 grams lighter than the X2, if that matters to you.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    First proper ride out on my Megatower since I fitted the ElevenSix on Saturday. Looking forward to getting some miles on it. If its anything like the one I had on my Tracer 275 then it's going to make it a rocket ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I guess push in Push Industries means thrust thus makes bike into rocket ship 😃

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Can’t comment on it for the Megatower however I think it should be even better because the Megatower seems like SC speced way to firm of a tune after all reviewers and riders commenting it being a bit harsh.

So I have one ride on mine on my Nomad 4 that I used stock SD RCT air for the 2 years before and it is a pretty nice change even on the Nomad that seems to have come with a better tune (all reviews mentioned how great the traction was in stock form). With the tractive I get same travel usage but it feels more calm/supported yet at same time traction is better over stutters and small bumps. Also square edge hit feel more like a thud in the feet rather than a smack or slap. I thought it was just a re shimming to your weight but he actually replaces the HSC piston with a linear piston (stock is dished) so now the compression stroke is smoother. You do lose the lock out because it is no longer a pre loaded HSC shim stack but in all honesty I think this will be a benefit because the stock is useless on real off-road climbs because you get hung up on rocks and roots whereas something like my old CCDB which is just a “firming” switch you could actually use it and it worked well (probably still the best because it also slows the rebound) now with only one ride on this I think the lockout feels more similar to a forming switch so I’m more likely to use it now. One ride in I’m really happy with it and looking forward to downieville this weekend.

My opinion would be if your bike came with an x2 then lucky you because with enough time you have a huge tuning range to dial it in to you without needing custom tuning. If your bike came with a super deluxe then lucky you someone can now tune and improve them at a much cheaper price than an entire new shock and takes the guess work out.

mtbr member
    Anyone overshock this bike yet? Possibly swapping from a nomad v4 and want to swap my 11/6. Looks like the added stroke would put the rear travel and 167.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Almost the same question. Has anyone ridden the MT with 180mm up front? I was offered a Lyric Ultimate Deluxe and was wondering...

mtbr member

Hope to get it out on the trail this week. Feels great on asphalt despite upsizing.

Interesting note: you can’t slam a Fox Transfer 150mm internal in a large frame due to how the cable guide exits frame from right side (down in seat tube).
    I was able to get it down to 8 lb 13 ozSanta Cruz Megatower-scale.jpgSanta Cruz Megatower-simpler.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Anyone overshock this bike yet? Possibly swapping from a nomad v4 and want to swap my 11/6. Looks like the added stroke would put the rear travel and 167.
    this is a shock with 60mm hub completely compressed on the MT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Megatower-20190722_191252.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thats close!!

mtbr member
    We will be releasing a Megatower link soon that will allow running up to a 65 mm stroke shock. Depending on the shock stroke it will deliver either 166, 170, or 180 mm of travel. Don't try and run a 65 mm shock with the stock link... it'll hit the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Is this in the long or short chainstay setting?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mine comes in at 33.6lbs

Frame: Santa Cruz Megatower CC 2019 (Size L) (black)
    Forks: RockShox Lyrik Ultimate (Push HC97 and a SD Components DVC)
    Rear Shox: Push Industries ElevenSix SideStack

Front hub: Chris King ISO AB (MatteJet)
    Rear hub: Chris King ISO B (MatteJet)
    Front rim: SC Reserve 30 29’’
    Rear rim:SC Reserve 30 29’’
    Spokes front: Sapim Race
    Spokes rear: Sapim Race
    Nipples: Sapim secure lock Double Square Alloy (black)
    Rim tape: WTB

Front brake: Sram Code RSC 200mm rotor
    Rear brake: Sram Code RSC 200mm rotor

Cranks: eeWings 170mm
    Front Chainring: Sram GXP directo mount 32T oval
    OneUp components bash guard and chain guide
    Race Face BSA 30 bottom bracket

Groupset: Sram Eagle XX1 AXS

Saddle: Fizik Gobi M1
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb C1 175mm, 1X remote
    Seat Clamp: SC standard

Headset: Chris King Dropset 1 (Matte Jet)
    Stem: Burgtec MK2 Enduro 35mm
    Grips: RevGrips
    Handlebars: Burgtec Carbon Enduro 20mm ride, 35mm clamp

Pedals: Burgtec MK4 Penthouse flats ti axles

RRP Proguard max front mudguard

Garmin mount on the bars

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfun4bill View Post
    I was able to get it down to 8 lb 13 ozClick image for larger version. 

Name:	scale.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	1280825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simpler.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	414.1 KB 
ID:	1280827
    Under 29?!

Nice!

My mind is blown.

shredthögnar
    very nice but can you actually use all the travel with such delicate tyres?

mtbr member
    Appreciate it. What tire??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Mine comes in at 33.6lbs

Rear Shox: Push Industries ElevenSiX
    Mind sharing your 11/6 tune details?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't think you'll notice any change in travel. While your 11-6 has 2.5mm of extra stroke, you have that bottom out bumper that I highly doubt will compress so much that you get the extra travel.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what a 170mm fork does to the HA, SA and BB height ? Ideally I’d keep the 160mm fork but I have a 170mm push ACS on my current set up and understand swapping it over would raise the megatower fork to 170.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Anyone know what a 170mm fork does to the HA, SA and BB height ? Ideally I’d keep the 160mm fork but I have a 170mm push ACS on my current set up and understand swapping it over would raise the megatower fork to 170.
    slackens HA and SA by 0.4 degrees, raises BB by 4mm

shredthögnar
    Can all 2019 rc2 lyriks be upped from 150 to 170 with just air shaft swap?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can all 2019 rc2 lyriks be upped from 150 to 170 with just air shaft swap?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm selling a brand new RS Coil Ultimate on PB if interested.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2648648/

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Rattle

Has anyone experienced some kind of rattle that comes from the rear end?

I cannot figure out where it comes from. It sounds like the chain rattling but it could also be the cables inside the rear triangle or maybe the reduction spacer inside the rear shock?

You can hear it in this video (10:22 is a good example). It only rattles when going fast over roots and other stuff. I cannot reproduce it by just letting fall the rear end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Has anyone experienced some kind of rattle that comes from the rear end?

I cannot figure out where it comes from. It sounds like the chain rattling but it could also be the cables inside the rear triangle or maybe the reduction spacer inside the rear shock?

You can hear it in this video (10:22 is a good example). It only rattles when going fast over roots and other stuff. I cannot reproduce it by just letting fall the rear end.

Yes I notice a similar rattle on my bike but figured it was the Shimano finned pads rattling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I have found cutting a small ~5mm thick band of rubber from a road bike tube and wrapping that around the top of the Saint pads (under the finned section) is very effective at attenuating that rattle without compromise.

Yes I notice a similar rattle on my bike but figured it was the Shimano finned pads rattling.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am looking at possibility of increasing to 60 or 65mm . Can I use the stock nomad 4 rockshox deluxe coil 230x60 and mount to the MT ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner23 View Post
    I am looking at possibility of increasing to 60 or 65mm . Can I use the stock nomad 4 rockshox deluxe coil 230x60 and mount to the MT ?
    Yes you can use that shock on the Megatower no problem. With the stock link you can't run a 65 mm stroke shock, however, or it will hit the frame deeper in its travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I don‘t ride Shimano brakes. I kinda think it‘s the chain but why didn‘t I notice this on my old bike then? Maybe the internal cable routing in the rear triangle but that sounds different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This article confirms what I'm feeling with the 2020 Fox X2 on the Mega. That bottom out bumper does not get along with the progressive nature of this frame. Need to figure out how to remove it now.

https://nsmb.com/articles/long-term-...rip2-float-x2/

mtbr member
    I'm hitting the bottom out bumper multiple times a ride with 4 spacers in my X2. Maybe take out the volume spacers if you're not getting full travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Hi,

Has anyone waiting a MT frame alone to build?. I got one in back order since June 30th and SC say the frame were sold too fast. I don't know if someone has the same issue or had so much waiting period for the frame. I got all the parts sitting in my home pre-assembled and the time is killing me

R gds.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I was told that if I mount a rockshox super deluxe coil 230x60mm from a nomad , it might not work well for my mega as the SD coil is specially tune for nomad . Is this true ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Depends on where you live I guess. In Germany, I ordered mine on April 17 and got it two weeks ago. I was told that there won‘t be any new frames delivered in 2019 in Germany. I dunno about other countries though. It seems that SC has a preference for the US, which is understandable being a US company.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricio fracchia View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone waiting a MT frame alone to build?. I got one in back order since June 30th and SC say the frame were sold too fast. I don't know if someone has the same issue or had so much waiting period for the frame. I got all the parts sitting in my home pre-assembled and the time is killing me

R gds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yeah I’m waiting until end of October (Australia)

Hi,

R gds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I was told that if I mount a rockshox super deluxe coil 230x60mm from a nomad , it might not work well for my mega as the SD coil is specially tune for nomad . Is this true ?
    they both should have the same mid tune but you just get some more travel out of the 60mm coil on your MT

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone run a CC Double Barrel on their MT?? I'm assuming it'll be similar to the feeling of a DHX2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone run a CC Double Barrel on their MT?? I'm assuming it'll be similar to the feeling of a DHX2.
    Nope but I have plenty experience of them, its superior to the DHX2 IMHO.

Larger shaft, far superior climb switch and no chance of jammed adjusters are just some of he reasons.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ahh ok, good to know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Weight as shown (without liquid inside the water bottle) 14.5kg

Santa Cruz Megatower-2423835-i0dk2o84bxlx-scmegatower1-large.jpg

Santa Cruz Megatower-2423832-vadxvfjldike-scmegatower4-large.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I rode a medium Megatower all day at Highland and pretty much fell in love on the first run. The bike was a huge confidence booster overall. I didn't get to do any double blacks but I am pretty sure the bike could handle anything in the park. Maiden Voyage and Hemlock looked intimidating to me but I couldn't believe how things just worked themselves out. I didn't experience this as much with the Nomad so I'm guessing the 29" wheels made the difference. I trusted the bike and it delivered leaving me wanting to pick up the pace on the next run.

I spent most of my day nailing down the Hellion jump trail and holy crap was it good. The bike was so forgiving that I was able to get dialed in quickly. By the third run I was hitting everything smoothly except the last big jump. By the last few runs I was clearing that as well. Now I must have one. Didn't expect to love a 29er this much. Obviously didn't get to do a real climb but I tried it out going up a fire road it did way better then I thought it would. Great bike! Overall it was kind of like an easy button for the park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Perhaps useful information for XXL size owners - the XL size rockguardz fits to the XXL size megatower. requires around 13 minutes in hot water before fit and then push to the frame and secure with screew. after 12 hours the rockguardz adapted like it was made for the xxl. Tested personally

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks niconj I bought mine in USA, because that is the weird waiting time, some crazy time for delivery in Germany dude.

Thanks for the answer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks Mondogram I bought mine in USA, I hope sometime soon it arrive at home.

Thanks for the answer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not in my MT (waiting arrive yet) but has one in my Nomad and had other in my Ibis Mojo HD, it works great, I didn't used the Fox because the CCDB was great, you will not go wrong, just need to used to set it correctly and the bike will perform completely different, I suggest you to play a little with the settings up and down some clicks to find the perfect one, is useful at the beginning, after that period you will love the shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Not in my MT (waiting arrive yet) but has one in my Nomad and had other in my Ibis Mojo HD, it works great, I didn't used the Fox because the CCDB was great, you will not go wrong, just need to used to set it correctly and the bike will perform completely different, I suggest you to play a little with the settings up and down some clicks to find the perfect one, is useful at the beginning, after that period you will love the shock.
    I'm thinking of going with the CCDB Air with CS. As much as I'd like to go back to coil front and rear, for some reason I'm up to 32.9lbs and I outright refuse to go any heavier (even though the CCDB Air is a tad heavier than the Super Deluxe).

mtbr member
    I've been liking the megatower for the last 3-4 months, although I may trade down for a ripmo af...If the MT is blinged out into a lighter build, it can be an awesome all-arounder. Coming from the HTLT, I think the MT is actually a better climber, but only if you put a lot of $$ into it to lighten the load (XO, XX, XTR, carbon wheels, etc). If you keep sub-$500 wheels and GX-level builds, the LT was definitely a better climber even with the out-dated geometry. Another niggle with the MT, and it may just be with my frame, is that it is ridiculously difficult to force the dropper post cable housing up through the seat tube...but the new shock placement and kinematics make all of the new SC bikes (MT, HT, Tallboy along with the prior 27.5 Nomad and Bronson) make them seriously capable on the downs - the bikes just hug the ground and track so well at crazy speeds...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well the nearest shock to set like a coil is the CCDB air, but you need to get used to it. I'm going full coil in the MT, full Push kits front for the Liryk and the 11.6 back. Just to give a try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    (Reposting this from the Hightower 2 thread for more visibility)

I live and ride on the North Shore / Squamish / Whistler / Pemberton. I have a DH bike and ride the Whistler park fairly often. (Although I'm not a fan of it).

I'm trying to decide between a Megatower and the new Hightower. I'm looking for a very capable, confidence inspiring descender. I like having a strong pedaling bike, but it's not a priority. Ideally I can replace my DH and trail bikes with this and ride anything in the sea to sky.

I'm currently leaning towards the Megatower as I'd like to have a bike I can trust to carry me through some hairy stuff.

Were any of you guys on the fence? What made you go with one over the other?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dude, I think Megatower is your answer:

I don't think you'll be able to replace your DH bike with a Hightower. While I'm sure it's a capable bike (I haven't ridden one), the MT should descend better. Also consider the fact that Cascade Components has a MT lower link in the works that will boost the rear travel depending on stroke of shock and make the leverage a little more progressive. That's where you replace your DH bike.

My schedule was wonky this season so I only rode my MT on Fromme and Seymour to date (plus I got my frame towards the end of the season too). While climbing the mind-numbing fire road on Fromme can be done on any bike, the steep seat angle of the MT made it painless, but I also use the lockout feature on my Super Deluxe Air. As for Seymour, I've started on the Hyannis side and climbed up Good Sir Martin to that top fire road with my MT; It worked better than my previous Intense 29er bike.

I hear you on Whistler. Too many people. All the trails end up in the same exit point at the bottom of A-Line. I live in Vancouver so traffic is ****ed 100% of the time. I'm kinda over it which means my DH may have to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Dude, I think Megatower is your answer:

I don't think you'll be able to replace your DH bike with a Hightower. While I'm sure it's a capable bike (I haven't ridden one), the MT should descend better. Also consider the fact that Cascade Components has a MT lower link in the works that will boost the rear travel depending on stroke of shock and make the leverage a little more progressive. That's where you replace your DH bike.

My schedule was wonky this season so I only rode my MT on Fromme and Seymour to date (plus I got my frame towards the end of the season too). While climbing the mind-numbing fire road on Fromme can be done on any bike, the steep seat angle of the MT made it painless, but I also use the lockout feature on my Super Deluxe Air. As for Seymour, I've started on the Hyannis side and climbed up Good Sir Martin to that top fire road with my MT; It worked better than my previous Intense 29er bike.

I hear you on Whistler. Too many people. All the trails end up in the same exit point at the bottom of A-Line. I live in Vancouver so traffic is ****ed 100% of the time. I'm kinda over it which means my DH may have to go.
    Thanks for the response my guy!

You haven't found it to be too much bike for around here (I live in North Vancouver)? I prefer trail riding to park riding most of the time. (I do LOVE going for the TOTW to Khyber/Kashmir lap though).

My favorite trails are things like Microclimate, Howler, Out There, Overnight Sensation, Cream Puff, Executioner, Ned's. I still do big climbs to trails like Dark Crystal or Lord of the Squirrels. Ideally my bike won't straight up murder me if I try it.

Most of my friends ride long travel enduro rigs anyways. The crew rides on bikes like the 2018 Enduro, the 2019 Range, 2019 Reign, Process 153, etc.

How've you found your Megatower for trails with some tighter / flatter sections? (like the middle part of Dales or Forever After)? Is it still fun?

If I wanted to make a MT more "trail worthy" what could I do? Get some super light wheels and a fast rolling rear tire? Run with less sag?

Super curious to hear about your experiences.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Natazhat View Post
    Thanks for the response my guy!

You haven't found it to be too much bike for around here (I live in North Vancouver)? I prefer trail riding to park riding most of the time. (I do LOVE going for the TOTW to Khyber/Kashmir lap though).

My favorite trails are things like Microclimate, Howler, Out There, Overnight Sensation, Cream Puff, Executioner, Ned's. I still do big climbs to trails like Dark Crystal or Lord of the Squirrels. Ideally my bike won't straight up murder me if I try it.

Most of my friends ride long travel enduro rigs anyways. The crew rides on bikes like the 2018 Enduro, the 2019 Range, 2019 Reign, Process 153, etc.

How've you found your Megatower for trails with some tighter / flatter sections? (like the middle part of Dales or Forever After)? Is it still fun?

If I wanted to make a MT more "trail worthy" what could I do? Get some super light wheels and a fast rolling rear tire? Run with less sag?

Super curious to hear about your experiences.
    I PM'd you

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I PM'd you
    I'm interested in some thoughts on the MT...I'm also on the fence between the same two bikes as Natazhat.

With only 14g differences in weight, it just seems the HT2 gives up too much in setup options...mainly coil/X2 option and flip chip at the rear axle.

Some have noted the MT isn't nearly as compliant as the HT2's. Is that just the shock's OE tune, or is it really the kinematics? Can it be tuned out...anyone using a DHX2 managed to dial out the harshness?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I PM'd you
    I'm curious to your response as well knowing the same trails.

I feel like the answer is pretty simple when all your riding partners are all riding 150+ enduro bikes...go Mega. I'm in the same boat trying to decide between High2/Mega/SB150 and while I haven't really enjoyed climbing the Mega on the few days I rode it, I'm still leaning in that direction due to it's adjustability (chainstay length, shock change) and the fact that everyone I ride with is on a 150+ bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight70 View Post
    Some have noted the MT isn't nearly as compliant as the HT2's. Is that just the shock's OE tune, or is it really the kinematics? Can it be tuned out...anyone using a DHX2 managed to dial out the harshness?
    Yes, probably mostly, High2 comes Low/Low while the Mega come Med/Med. First thing I would do if I went Mega with air would be to send it in to either Vorsprung or Fluid Function or whatever tuning centre you happen to have close by.

Anybody I know running coil has NOT described the bike as feeling harsh, contrary to the Air can.

I don't know what you mean by 14g weight difference? There is at least a 1lbs (400-450g+) difference in frame weight alone Mega vs. High2.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I don't know what you mean by 14g weight difference? There is at least a 1lbs (400-450g+) difference in frame weight alone Mega vs. High2.
    I got this from SC...bare large CC frame, no shock...14g on paper.

Name:  MT vs HT2 bare frame weight.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  21.1 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight70 View Post
    I'm interested in some thoughts on the MT...I'm also on the fence between the same two bikes as Natazhat.

With only 14g differences in weight, it just seems the HT2 gives up too much in setup options...mainly coil/X2 option and flip chip at the rear axle.

I'm curious to your response as well knowing the same trails.

I feel like the answer is pretty simple when all your riding partners are all riding 150+ enduro bikes...go Mega. I'm in the same boat trying to decide between High2/Mega/SB150 and while I haven't really enjoyed climbing the Mega on the few days I rode it, I'm still leaning in that direction due to it's adjustability (chainstay length, shock change) and the fact that everyone I ride with is on a 150+ bike.

Hey guys... I essentially said for North Shore riding, the MT is good. Bottom line. I haven't had mine long and I built it up from the frame at the end of the season. I haven't had a chance to fully go out on the North Shore as my schedule has been a mess this season. What I did say is it performed better in every way compared to my Intense Carbine 29er (but looking back now, I think that bike was outdated within one year). Also, they are two different bikes, I know. I think you can get away with the HT2 on the Shore but descending won't be as fun, stable and 'safe' as the MT. I mentioned those tight turns on Krinkum and Kirkford on Fromme...you have to plant your front wheel on the outside of those turns to get the MT around (just as an example). I've also taken it on Seymour from the Hyannis Rd side and climbed up the trail Good Sir Martin to that first fire road at the top. There are some annoying switchbacks climbing but the MT made it just fine. The seat tube angle makes all the difference. I currently have mine setup in short and low.

I haven't done Dales or Forever After on this bike. Maybe next week when I get back in town but based on how I remember those trails, I don't see why it wouldn't perform well.

I was worried about the harshness of the MT and yeah it's there...BUT, I've also started embracing it. The tendency for people across the board is to reduce LSC and HSC when things feel harsh. I've watched Steve at Vorsprung's video about compression damping to remind myself NOT to reduce compression too much. I retuned my Push'd Fox 36 and my rear shock and my last ride did feel a little rough (not uncontrollably so), but I felt I actually went faster, was higher in the travel and was able to 'whip' the bike around a little better. There are still a bunch of tuning options out there for the Super Deluxe if you still don't like it (and I have Avalanche in mind down the road).

You can build it to be trail worthy but it's still going to be a low 30s bike. No ways to get around that. I feel like I've done decently with my build but I'm still at 32.9-33lbs. Coil is NOT an option for me at this point.

I'm sure the guys with DHX2s will chime in but they complained they weren't able to fully tune her in. I'm convinced some will need some more custom tuning to get the most out of this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Another question for all you MT owners - how has your paint been holding up? I'm wondering if the matte finish on the blackout frame is prone to scratching or blemishes compared to the green.

Trying to decide between the colour options now.. Both are purdy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    when I demoed the MT this spring there have been a few black ones that hat some scratches you could recognize easy because of the matte finish.
    In general the paint of the MT isn't blackout its more darkgrey. Being honest im really happy that I attatched full frame protection that not only protects the frame but also make it look a lot darker

mtbr member
    The gloss finishes are pretty tough. My nomad only took damage to the finish in extreme situations. My mega is also pretty much clean. I have partial frame protection, but even the exposed sections look good still.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Am I right in thinking that a 170mm fork equalizes the geometry changes resulting in putting the shock in the low position?

mtbr member
    Am I right in thinking that a 170mm fork equalizes the geometry changes resulting in putting the shock in the low position?
    That is what multiple publications said. That is how I built mine up and it feels great.

mtbr member
    Putting the bike in low w/ a 170mm fork will make both the HTA and STA even more slack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I just ordered a Lyrik Ultimate with the new 2.1 charger in 170mm. Coming from a Formula Selva, this'll not only bring 10mm of travel but also a different offset (42 vs. 51).

I'll also be running the cascadecomponents link for the MT. This'll then end up in a 170/166 bike. A beast even more capable than the stock MT already is.

That is what multiple publications said. That is how I built mine up and it feels great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    when I demoed the MT this spring there have been a few black ones that hat some scratches you could recognize easy because of the matte finish.
    In general the paint of the MT isn't blackout its more darkgrey. Being honest im really happy that I attatched full frame protection that not only protects the frame but also make it look a lot darker
    LOL I almost think mine looks dark greenish grey. I have mine all wrapped so I can't comment on paint strength. I also added pieces of that thick clear 3M tape in certain areas I've been prone to smashing in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I just ordered a Lyrik Ultimate with the new 2.1 charger in 170mm. Coming from a Formula Selva, this'll not only bring 10mm of travel but also a different offset (42 vs. 51).

I'll also be running the cascadecomponents link for the MT. This'll then end up in a 170/166 bike. A beast even more capable than the stock MT already is.
    Not familiar with the formula, but the 2020 lyrik runs alot of sag due to the strong negative spring. i'd wager it might be closer to a 160mm fork effective. not a problem though, it's an excellent fork. send the damper to Shockcraft to make it even better

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Not familiar with the formula, but the 2020 lyrik runs alot of sag due to the strong negative spring. i'd wager it might be closer to a 160mm fork effective. not a problem though, it's an excellent fork. send the damper to Shockcraft to make it even better
    I can always upgrade the air shaft to 180mm. Still, I think that if you set the SAG correctly it is a true 170mm fork.

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Megatower

Mine comes in at 33.6lbs

Rear Shox: Push Industries ElevenSix SideStack

Front hub: Chris King ISO AB (MatteJet)
    Rear hub: Chris King ISO B (MatteJet)
    Front rim: SC Reserve 30 29’’
    Rear rim:SC Reserve 30 29’’
    Spokes front: Sapim Race
    Spokes rear: Sapim Race
    Nipples: Sapim secure lock Double Square Alloy (black)
    Rim tape: WTB

Front brake: Sram Code RSC 200mm rotor
    Rear brake: Sram Code RSC 200mm rotor

Cranks: eeWings 170mm
    Front Chainring: Sram GXP directo mount 32T oval
    OneUp components bash guard and chain guide
    Race Face BSA 30 bottom bracket

Groupset: Sram Eagle XX1 AXS

Saddle: Fizik Gobi M1
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb C1 175mm, 1X remote
    Seat Clamp: SC standard

Headset: Chris King Dropset 1 (Matte Jet)
    Stem: Burgtec MK2 Enduro 35mm
    Grips: RevGrips
    Handlebars: Burgtec Carbon Enduro 20mm ride, 35mm clamp

Pedals: Burgtec MK4 Penthouse flats ti axles

RRP Proguard max front mudguard

Garmin mount on the bars
    do you have a close up pic of your dropset headset / headtube interface? I’m trying to see how much gap should I expect to have, I know griplock are quite tricky to get them in place correctly so just trying to see what to consider normal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Went from Selva 160mm to Lyric Ultimate 2.1 170mm. First ride was pretty cool!

Santa Cruz Megatower-20191015_143238.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    do you have a close up pic of your dropset headset / headtube interface? I’m trying to see how much gap should I expect to have, I know griplock are quite tricky to get them in place correctly so just trying to see what to consider normal!
    I will get one tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Went from Selva 160mm to Lyric Ultimate 2.1 170mm. First ride was pretty cool!
    What did you think of it compared to the Selva? I have always fancied trying the Formula but its a jump into the unknown.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    What did you think of it compared to the Selva? I have always fancied trying the Formula but its a jump into the unknown.
    Out of the box, the Lyrik has a lot more friction when compressing it slowly. It may be that the forks have to be run in first. Other than that I cannot really compare yet as I have ridden the RS only once.

On the trail the Lyrik feels poppier but that might just be the different setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

This bike is so confidence inspiring

I went to the bikepark the other day. The MT jumps perfectly and going down fast rough stuff is much easier than with my previous bikes even in muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I went to the bikepark the other day. The MT jumps perfectly and going down fast rough stuff is much easier than with my previous bikes even in muddy conditions.

Danke Dir fuer den schalmmtour!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Switched out the SD Ultimate coil on my MT for an EXT Storia V3 Lok. Coming off a Nomad 4, I found the MT pedalled really well, but not as plush and smooth in rock gardens, high speed rough trails as I was used to on the N4. Besides that I loved the MT, so played around with different springs, compression and rebound on the SD Ultimate coil. In the end I switched the shock out for the EXT Storia V3 Lok. Long-shocked it with a 230x60, with a light compression tune, medium rebound tune (set 2 clicks from full open/fast). Big step up in small bump compliance, traction, and it now feels like a N4 with big wheels. Feels great at high speed in the rough, drops, cornering, exactly what I was looking for when going from the N4 to the MT.

Waldmeister
    Anyone knows the RAL code of the green?

Or better some random nailpolish that is somewhat close that I can get at Sephora or so?
    IMTB

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedh View Post
    Danke Dir fuer den schalmmtour!
    There'll be more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomShakkaLagga View Post
    Anyone knows the RAL code of the green?
    I don't know the RAL code, but Santa Cruz emailed me the Pantone values: Pantone PMS 2247c

mtbr member
    Fox transfer post installed, its feels amazing compared to my reverb dropper. Faster, lighter and really smooth.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bouddibandit View Post
    Switched out the SD Ultimate coil on my MT for an EXT Storia V3 Lok. Coming off a Nomad 4, I found the MT pedalled really well, but not as plush and smooth in rock gardens, high speed rough trails as I was used to on the N4. Besides that I loved the MT, so played around with different springs, compression and rebound on the SD Ultimate coil. In the end I switched the shock out for the EXT Storia V3 Lok. Long-shocked it with a 230x60, with a light compression tune, medium rebound tune (set 2 clicks from full open/fast). Big step up in small bump compliance, traction, and it now feels like a N4 with big wheels. Feels great at high speed in the rough, drops, cornering, exactly what I was looking for when going from the N4 to the MT.
    Hi May I know what bushing u use for your storia EXT v3

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    +1

I was told that the original RS bushings might even fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    20x 8 Racing bros bushings. The rear is RWC needle roller bearings in 30x8.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Finally broke my 1 year old record.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Finally broke my 1 year old record.
    Back on the Formula?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Back on the Formula?
    Nope. Just a video I had to edit and upload etc. One video a week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Are there any tricks to route cables "moto style" (front brake right hand) on this frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoGram View Post
    Are there any tricks to route cables "moto style" (front brake right hand) on this frame?
    Nope I'm afraid not.

mtbr member
    Fox transfer post installed, its feels amazing compared to my reverb dropper. Faster, lighter and really smooth.
    Agreed. I have a ht2 and had issues with three Reverbs. Fox Transfer with Wolftooth LA lever for the win. Smoother, and no seat post sag or movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bouddibandit View Post
    20x 8 Racing bros bushings. The rear is RWC needle roller bearings in 30x8.
    Hi, is this the one that you have for the lower mount?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Druster View Post
    Hi, is this the one that you have for the lower mount?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    It doesn't appear to be the same one, which may mean I ordered an RWC bearing with the shock, but the one I received may not be and RWC. If it's 30x8, the one you depicted should work. The one I received looks like it's from Enduro bearings

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Megatower-screen-shot-2019-10-30-8.26.00-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Megatower doing what it does best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone know for a Large frame Megatower, would a oneup dropper 210mm v2 will be slammed down to the collar? Or will a 180mm be better?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    not sure, but i know bikeyoke droppers give a ton of clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    not sure, but i know bikeyoke droppers give a ton of clearance.
    One Up with the SC actuator are supposed to give even more. A 210 won't fit all the way in though; I was told by OneUp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    One Up with the SC actuator are supposed to give even more. A 210 won't fit all the way in though; I was told by OneUp.
    Gotcha. So I may have to go for a 180mm then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithr1 View Post
    Gotcha. So I may have to go for a 180mm then.
    Or get the 210 and shim it to the longest you can get away with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Or get the 210 and shim it to the longest you can get away with.
    The 210 can only be shimmed down to 190mm and I guess that might even still be too long?

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Megatower

I knew I had to get the white onza’s the second I saw them on Instagram.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The 210 can only be shimmed down to 190mm and I guess that might even still be too long?
    I saw a photo of the Oneup CEO’s Megatower xl with a 210 and it’s
    Not slammed down. He is either a tall dude or shimmed it but still looks tall overall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I knew I had to get the white onza’s the second I saw them on Instagram.
    Haha, awesome! I hope you post that on VitalMTB and get Bike of the Day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithr1 View Post
    I saw a photo of the Oneup CEO’s Megatower xl with a 210 and it’s
    Not slammed down. He is either a tall dude or shimmed it but still looks tall overall.
    34'' Inseam and post shimmed to 200.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That pink bike is completely ridiculous!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just bought a Megatower! Woohoo! Goodbye bumps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Haha, awesome! I hope you post that on VitalMTB and get Bike of the Day.
    As it should.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PJJ205 View Post
    As it should.
    Agreed. I posted it on our German Forum and people didn't think it was good looking. For me it's absolutely amazing. Of course, after the first muddy ride, these tires wouldn't be as good looking anymore. I'd like to see a picture of that though.

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Megatower

I can post an updated picture after a few more rides. I am here in Southern California. We don’t have mud so I think it will stay relatively white. The trails around here are primarily a mix of sandstone, sand from said sandstone, and some red clay. So far the grips are actually the most discolored. Some of the black from my gloves seems to have worked into it.

I know it is definitely a polarizing look. The frame alone is love it or hate it and the over the top white bits are really against the norm of mtb. Glad you guys like it! I will post it to vital sometime this weekend.

Onza said they were going to do a batch with the gravity casing so there is a chance I could race next season with this look. Otherwise it will go back to black bits with some minions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If anyone is interested in a Fox X2 for their mega let me know. 2019 includes bearing mount.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If anyone is interested in a Fox X2 for their mega let me know. 2019 includes bearing mount.

Why you getting rid of it...going coil? Pros/Cons?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Why you getting rid of it...going coil? Pros/Cons?
    Yup looking for a coil to give the bike a split personality

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I heard the Cascadecomponents lower link will be out very soon! I'm gonna have to try it out.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yup looking for a coil to give the bike a split personality
    Did you already do a write-up/review about what you mean...I haven't seen it. Can you elaborate on this a bit? TIA

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I heard the Cascadecomponents lower link will be out very soon! I'm gonna have to try it out.
    I have on on order already.

mtbr member
    Figured I'd give you all a quick update on where this batch of Megatower links stands. The are currently finishing their final set up on in the mill. They will be done with that set up today. Tomorrow we will churn out all the bearing spacers. This means the links should be getting to the anodizer Wednesday. Their turnaround time is usually no more than 10 business days, which would be just in time for them to be back before Thanksgiving (fingers crossed). For this batch we are going to do black, silver, and a small number of red links for colors.

mtbr member
    Pics!!!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast