Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

Now it has a name, here's a new thread for the Hightower LT. Get everything in one place, rather than having to navigate three or four threads and hijack the Hightower thread!

In the absence of official info thus far, here's the 'review' from Competitive:
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/l...55963_eeece4e5

Mine's on pre-order! While it's obviously an evolutionary stage and there's likely something else coming in a year or so, as someone whose been waiting for its release, I think it was worth the wait. It's a Hightower with a little extra, exactly what some on here have created with long-shocking, and that'll work for me. Looks very similar to the Yeti SB5.5 but with adequate stand over in the larger sizes, a less complex set of working parts, the right diameter seatpost, and at least one cool color. I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That frame color reminds me of the first gen tennis ball yellow of the Bronson. I hope it's as good looking as that bike was!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    That frame color reminds me of the first gen tennis ball yellow of the Bronson. I hope it's as good looking as that bike was!

Yeah, I had a Bronson in that color. Excellent-looking bike. Hoping this is as cool!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Did anyone see chart with the geo numbers that was readable at XL + XXL sizes. Saw a few in the other thread but can't make out the digits on them. Kind of thinking I should drop in on this bike but no dealers here in Sweden where I live have them. Wondering if I should go for XL or XXL with 6"4 35 inch inseam (all torso). Running a bike with 475mm reach at the moment, would be nice with a bit more, also concerned about seat high on the LT in larger sizes.

//EDIT// Found it https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...tain-bike-2018 .

Still wondering if I should go XXL though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Santa Cruz website still not updated with the new bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblom View Post
    Wondering if I should go for XL or XXL with 6"4 35 inch inseam (all torso).
    Iíd say XL. Im 6í5/35. Actually it depends. XL is a bit more maneuverable and easier to toss around. XXL is more of a downhill bomber, will feel more planted and stable due to longer wheelbase. So I guess it depends on your terrain and riding steez.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dblom View Post
    Still wondering if I should go XXL though.
    6'4.5 36" inseam. Been on an XL Hightower for a year. Started out with a 70mm stem but felt cramped. Switched to 80mm. Much better. Than the XXL came out. I put a 90mm on my XL to simulate the XXL with a 60mm stem. Wow! What a difference. It felt great out of the saddle everywhere from turning to low sped rock crawling and and of course downhills. The Hightower was not designed around a 90mm stem. The XL is too small for me. I'm switching to an XXL as soon as Santa Cruz releases the LT and I can convince my wife that the bike I just bought to replace my other bike because it was too small is now too small.

mtbr member
    Now he will be even more confused. Forum job done well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How is the bike out but not on the Santa Cruz website?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...INT_ID=IB22106

mtbr member
    XXL is the most intriguing thing about this... Yes, the 150mm rear too. Disappointed at not having a 160 fork option. Geo on the XL is almost identical to Yeti SB55, but SB has the 160 fork. Looks like the regular HT will get an XXL size also.
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCostaClydesdale View Post
    XXL is the most intriguing thing about this... Yes, the 150mm rear too. Disappointed at not having a 160 fork option. Geo on the XL is almost identical to Yeti SB55, but SB has the 160 fork. Looks like the regular HT will get an XXL size also.
    Seems like many stock forks are trivial to modify for extra travel. Anyone know if the HT LT shock can be easily modded for 160mm. I wouldn't mind things a bit slacker and with a bit higher bb.

mtbr member
    Unless the build kits are coming with some special Fork the fox 36 is wildly easy to convert between 150 and 160

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by themanro View Post
    Now he will be even more confused. Forum job done well.
    Never trust anyone over 6'2 for advice on how well a bike fits. Until SC made the XXL Hightower and v2 tallboy they were all too small.

mtbr member
    So when is a launch not a launch? This has to be one of the weirdest bike launches ever. Team riders on completely undisguised bikes a month or more before anything official comes out. Open order site so that anyone that has any real interest can see the bike before they order. Large retailer puts it up on their site including a ride review, but it is not on the SC site yet.

Just seems weird, kind of like your prom date asking if you can get it on before the dance... It sounds great, but then you realize the drama and sense of excitement is lost.

mtbr member
    Finally, Hightower LT is now on SC website! Check it out:
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/hightower-lt

2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C XX
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks great, no surprises that I found from the rumors. Anyone notice on the main page this image:
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/as...uddy-shock.jpg

Looks like the rear triangle has cracked right near the top pivot.

[edit] Upon closer inspection I think that's just invisishield or similar stickers to minimize scratches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looks like a lot of errors on the specs and geo. I hope SC fixes it soon.

mtbr member

New question here.

Huh? Sram Guide brakes on today's HT LT???
    Is this an error?

[edited] The pictures shows Guide calipers indeed. It's a surprise to me since the N4 come with newer Code brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice first ride report on Pinkbike. Calls it just what it is: a Hightower with a little extra. I like the comment about it being like a big-wheeled Bronson, which sounds ideal to me.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cr...de-review.html

The SC website has a section describing the process of developing the new link and in no way tries to hide the fact that they're using the same front triangle, or that this is an evolution of an existing bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Shock spec

200x57
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_1417.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good review by Jeff Brines, especially the comparison between HT and LT HT.

2018 Santa Cruz Hightower LT CC XX1 29 Reserve - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Finally a non-arguable nice looking bike from Santa Cruz again. The much anticipated Nomad 4 was such a disappointment look wise. The HT LT is definitely a move in the right direction and back on track with why I am willing to pay for a Santa Cruz. Look is not everything, but when they cost an arm and a leg, it better look good. HTLT is right on the money. Hope the well known pivot squeaky problem from the shorter travel high tower has been fixed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nice review. I was dead set on getting the HT. Now I want the HTLT specially because of the Wicklow Green. I planned to spec my HT w a 150 fork anyway. So just go full on 150/150 with the HTLT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    Good review by Jeff Brines, especially the comparison between HT and LT HT.

2018 Santa Cruz Hightower LT CC XX1 29 Reserve - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB
    What he pointed out with the others is that the Fox DPX2 is not that great and the tire clearance is not that great either. SC screwed everyone on the new triangle tire clearance. Should have allowed the option for a 2.6 width at least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    What he pointed out with the others is that the Fox DPX2 is not that great and the tire clearance is not that great either. SC screwed everyone on the new triangle tire clearance. Should have allowed the option for a 2.6 width at least.
    I've read the article 2x he never mentioned anything about tire clearance. According to SC website, it can take up to 2.5, but I know people have put 2.6 on the regular HT. I'm sure people will try to do the same on the HT LT.

mtbr member
    I am sure upgrade to Fox X2 will make significant difference, in a positive way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like the looks, the travel and the build kits.
    I don't like that they just took the old frame and got more travel out of it by adding a new link and a longer shock/fork.
    The geometry is too much compromised by this. Will stick with my current bike for now.
    Filme von Draussen
    Instagram Profile
    Current bikes:
    Pivot Switchblade
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 3
    Orbea Alma

mtbr member
    Would have really liked to see X2 and DHX2 designed in stock, though they much optionality doesn't seem typical for SC base builds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCostaClydesdale View Post
    Disappointed at not having a 160 fork option.
    I bet they stuck with a 150 fork to avoid a crazy slack seat angle. Going from 140 to 150 dropped it by ~.6 degrees (HT to HTLT), a 160 fork would put you at 73 degrees...effective. Of course, yall can just balance that out buy long shocking the LT right? Who will be the first to run at 170/165?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    They went with the 150 fork for warranty purposes. Regular HT and HT LT has the same front triangle. It won't stop people from putting a 160 or more fork on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well I am extremely stoked to say that I have ordered the LT HT in Black Gloss Slate, XL, XO1 with Reserve Carbon wheels.

Having tried the "standard" HT a couple of times now and had an absolute confidence inspiring rides and into boot achieving a number of Strava PB segments without really trying I was hooked and so was playing the waiting game for a number of weeks now until its final release today.

So I am very pleased to be joining the "elite" bike club - just need to seriously improve my bike handling skills now....

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bliz2z View Post
    I don't like that they just took the old frame and got more travel out of it by adding a new link and a longer shock/fork.
    The geometry is too much compromised by this. Will stick with my current bike for now.
    Not just a link and longer shock stroke...completely new swingarm as well.
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8
    Trek Checkpoint SL 6

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What I'm wondering is how pedal friendly the LT really is. Could 15mm more really have an impact on how pedal friendly and poppy a bike is?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    What I'm wondering is how pedal friendly the LT really is. Could 15mm more really have an impact on how pedal friendly and poppy a bike is?
    Pinkbike's article today suggests there really isn't much of a pedaling penalty for the extra 15mm of travel
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Pinkbike's article today suggests there really isn't much of a pedaling penalty for the extra 15mm of travel
    I think most longer travel bikes pedal very well these days. Whether it's as poppy seems less certain to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sounds like the only way to really know is grab a demo then. I've ridden the original Hightower and it seemed like a pretty playful bike. I own a Ripley LS now and that bike is definitely more poppy/pedal friendly with its 120mm rear travel. It does however get a little overwhelmed in the fast downs.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by ALC0R73Z View Post
    I've read the article 2x he never mentioned anything about tire clearance. According to SC website, it can take up to 2.5, but I know people have put 2.6 on the regular HT. I'm sure people will try to do the same on the HT LT.
    So is the HTLT a pure 29er long travel FS bike? Gone is the 27.5+ option?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    From what I can tell even the stock fork looks very likely to require a small tweak to hit 160mm. Fox doesn't advertise a 150mm in that model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The option is gone (can't buy 27.5+ from SC). The flip chip is gone. Picking between 140 and 150mm front forks (from SC) is gone.

Obviously some 27.5 wheels will fit, however it's possible that the tweaks to the rear triangle have been optimized for 29" (taller and thinner) instead of 27.5+ (shorter and wider). The combinations of no flip chip and no fork changes means that any 27.5+ is likely to lower the BB.

So no promises from SC, doesn't mean some 27.5's won't work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    So is the HTLT a pure 29er long travel FS bike? Gone is the 27.5+ option?
    The 27.5+ option is still available on the 135mm HT. Yes, you are correct. The HT LT is pure 29er..

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    The option is gone (can't buy 27.5+ from SC). The flip chip is gone. Picking between 140 and 150mm front forks (from SC) is gone.

Obviously some 27.5 wheels will fit, however it's possible that the tweaks to the rear triangle have been optimized for 29" (taller and thinner) instead of 27.5+ (shorter and wider). The combinations of no flip chip and no fork changes means that any 27.5+ is likely to lower the BB.

So no promises from SC, doesn't mean some 27.5's won't work.
    Don't say you can't buy 27.5 plus from SC because it still available on the regular HT and the TB.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by ALC0R73Z View Post
    The HT LT is pure 29er..
    As it should be
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm currently on a Specialized Enduro 29, a large 2015 aluminum version, with 160 pike, monarch plus shock, wtb asym 35/29 wide rims, an upgraded 350 ratchet hub, guide rsc brakes. The thing is a monster. I have a 26" carbon nomad and a 27.5 alum reign with 160 fox 36's, but I feel perfect, and am faster, on the Enduro (I'm almost 6-1). I want to like the HTLT, and will probably demo it, along with the new enduro (either the carbon or alum) and select few other lt 29ers. But looking at the geometry and the specs of the HT, especially compared to the enduro...I know everyone despises Big Brother, but the bang for the buck of the Enduro vs the Hightower is huge - the only thing the $4,900 comparable build kit for the LT has going for it is the eagle drive train (plus look at those seat angles! 76 vs not even 74). I'm a SC fan boy but I have a hard time justifying an LT purchase, unless the ride of the $4,900 build is absolutely mind-blowing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You think there will be any chance that SC will sell the link/ rear triangle seperate so current HT owners can upgrade?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    You think there will be any chance that SC will sell the link/ rear triangle seperate so current HT owners can upgrade?
    No, especially since the triangle has changed. However...High quality mountain bike components proudly manufactured in the U.K has one coming, stock stroke of 51mm but upping the travel to 143mm I believe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    (deleted)
    "deleted"
    [deleted]
    Last edited by spikebike; 07-07-2017 at 02:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Wrong thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-screenshot_2017-07-07-01-44-08.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Edit

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    I saw some coverage claiming SC said no. Basically they said so much changes (rear triangle, linkage, and shock) that it was more cost effective to just sell the old frame and buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    With the difference in geo numbers for the LT vs the standard HT how would that translate to handling in the tight twisty singletrack woods?

Would you still have fairly good acceleration out of corners?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    When do those that have ordered the LT HT expect to receive their new steed ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchief View Post
    When do those that have ordered the LT HT expect to receive their new steed ?
    Competitive had many builds (except XX1) scheduled to arrive today. I have a frame on order that I'm hoping will arrive by the end of the week, assuming the delivery dates hold.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the HT lt weighs in at for the cc xx1 with carbon rims. The sc website showed it as 27.5 lbs yesterday, reviews have it at 29 lbs, today the website has it at 30 lbs with regular rims and 32 lbs for carbon rims. All over the place?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone know what frame only prices of the LT are ,can't find it cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggyg View Post
    Anyone know what frame only prices of the LT are ,can't find it cheers
    I could be wrong, but I read $2999 somewhere...

Is the fox fork the fit 4? Or the one with LSC/HSC?.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any opinions on fit for inbetween sizes? I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and longish arms. Right between L and XL. XL would be more of a modern fit except for the long seat tube and 48" wheelbase.

Coming from a L T275c with a 19" seat tube and only a 120 mm reverb so I would be still be able to drop my seat more with proper dropper length on the XL which I would like for descending. Wheelbase would be about 1" longer than what I'm used to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    Any opinions on fit for inbetween sizes? I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and longish arms. Right between L and XL. XL would be more of a modern fit except for the long seat tube and 48" wheelbase.

Coming from a L T275c with a 19" seat tube and only a 120 mm reverb so I would be still be able to drop my seat more with proper dropper length on the XL which I would like for descending. Wheelbase would be about 1" longer than what I'm used to.
    Obviously the best way to know is to get on both and ride, but I'm 6'1.5" and wouldn't consider a large in the regular HT. I've ridden both (HT, not LT HT) and the XL felt perfect to me -- wouldn't imagine fit will be that much different between the two bikes.

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

Why no frame-only option? Not just HT LT... all new models don't list a frame only price option... looking at mobile site

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Why no frame-only option? Not just HT LT... all new models don't list a frame only price option... looking at mobile site
    comp said they expected frames by the end of the month

what's unknown is if kashma will be 2999 or if there will be 2 shock options with factory getting a 100-200 bump in price

trek & yeti have kind of given the ok to charge 3200-3400 for a top tier frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks for your input guys. I'm leaning towards a XXL atm. Been looking a lot at this google doc someone put together, helpful in search of a geo that fits. Not updated w HTLT though.. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RI8M/htmlview#

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have just ordered a frame only in Canada.. 4099CAD for the CC frame and it comes with the Fox Factory DPX..

Going to go full hog and put a DHX2 on it.. Anybody got any commentary running coils on Hightowers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfun4bill View Post
    Anyone know what the HT lt weighs in at for the cc xx1 with carbon rims. The sc website showed it as 27.5 lbs yesterday, reviews have it at 29 lbs, today the website has it at 30 lbs with regular rims and 32 lbs for carbon rims. All over the place?????
    On the release date, the HT LT website showed me the weight of CC XX1 build as '21.8 lbs', holy s**t, , that's lighter even than a 5010 or typical road bikes.

Lots of errors on SC new sites

Sent from my hands using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wellyxc View Post
    I have just ordered a frame only in Canada.. 4099CAD for the CC frame and it comes with the Fox Factory DPX..

Going to go full hog and put a DHX2 on it.. Anybody got any commentary running coils on Hightowers?

Ask Ratboy

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wellyxc View Post

Is the frame shipping right away?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Competitive told me that some frames were arriving this week, same time as most full bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So I thought this is a 29er only? Or is the website all wrong? Clicked on the top 3 kits to see what they are spec'd with and the wheels all say 27.5+. Strange...

mtbr member
    Which has the smoother ride?

Hightower 27.5+ or Hightower LT?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Kinematics analysis of the new Hightower LT:

https://mrblackmorescorner.blogspot....anta-cruz.html

mtbr member
    Which has the smoother ride?

Hightower 27.5+ or Hightower LT?
    If I had to guess, it would be the fatter tire due to low psi.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Blackmores View Post

Excellent - thnx!!

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is there an English version?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Shows up in English for me... I think i have automatic google translate going though...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks LCW!

@Duffman1976 The Google translator is at the right in the blog. Anyway the translations aren't very good. If you have any doubt or question please post a comment in English, I'm happy to answer you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks LCW!

@Duffman1976 The Google translator is at the right in the blog. Anyway the translations aren't very good. If you have any doubt or question please post a comment in English, I'm happy to answer you.
    Awesome. Thanks! I can understand most of it. Just takes me a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quick question hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can answer....

I think I remember reading that using a 160mm Fox 36 had near or exactly the same effect as using a 150mm Pike in terms of change in slackness, reach, etc. Is this true? I had a 150mm Pike in my original Hightower, wondering if a 160mm 36 on a LT will be similar.

The Large HT fit great at just under 6'1, but wanting to go 160 on the LT, fighting having to go XL with the seat tube and wheelbase. Thanks everybody

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyCO View Post
    Quick question hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can answer....

I think I remember reading that using a 160mm Fox 36 had near or exactly the same effect as using a 150mm Pike in terms of change in slackness, reach, etc. Is this true? I had a 150mm Pike in my original Hightower, wondering if a 160mm 36 on a LT will be similar.

The Large HT fit great at just under 6'1, but wanting to go 160 on the LT, fighting having to go XL with the seat tube and wheelbase. Thanks everybody
    It's not equal but closer than the 10mm in travel. I believe it is around 6-8mm difference (like 542 vs 549mm) axle to crown. So you will get maybe 0.3 degrees slacker bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Difficult to decipher in English but thanks for the effort. Are you able to tell how much more 'progressive' the HT LT is over the HT? The original HT has a progressivity of 14%. It would be nice if the LT had more ramp up right at the end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks and sorry for Google translator. Looking at this the progressivity is about 12% and the LT is about 13%, so it's practically the same and also the shape of the curve is the same. Anyway the key is in the values. The LT has lower values and this means that more force is needed in the rear wheel to compress the shock. There is a difference of 0.1 more or less which is considerable so the LT requires a bit more force to reach full travel. In other words, a bit lower spring (air or coil) for the same compression force.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I just ordered the Hightower LT Base Model in XXL from my LBS. They had some models that were available on demand from Santa Cruz, but the XXL wasn't until August 3rd. I guess it's gonna be a long month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I also went in to my LBS today. Rode a regular HT in L. They didn't have an XL but I rode an XL Nomad V3 which has similar numbers to the XL HT LT. LT has a little longer reach but with a 160 fork they will be about the same. At 6'1" and a 34" inseam I preferred the feel of the XL. It felt really good. Wish I could test it on actual trails.

So wasn't the best comparison but if the LT has a shorter reach than the regular HT than XL is the way to go for me. Also according to my measurements I'll be able to run the 170 reverb with the collar slammed all the way down which will be awesome for descending.

Was also told that if I ordered today August 3rd would be delivery day.

mtbr member
    So what do you guys think on sizing for the hobbit folks? I'm 5'4"-ish and am on a M N3. I just tried a small N4 and it fit better. I'm short legged and long armed. I've been looking at the GEO numbers and it's not helping any. I guess I should try a M HT out and see how it feels...
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I can't wait to hop on this thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I also went in to my LBS today. Rode a regular HT in L. They didn't have an XL but I rode an XL Nomad V3 which has similar numbers to the XL HT LT. LT has a little longer reach but with a 160 fork they will be about the same. At 6'1" and a 34" inseam I preferred the feel of the XL. It felt really good. Wish I could test it on actual trails.

So wasn't the best comparison but if the LT has a shorter reach than the regular HT than XL is the way to go for me. Also according to my measurements I'll be able to run the 170 reverb with the collar slammed all the way down which will be awesome for descending.

Was also told that if I ordered today August 3rd would be delivery day.

Dude, that's ****ing awesome. I did a similar test ride with a Tallboy XL. I could tell it was close, but a bigger frame would be perfect. Santa Cruz bikes feel so amazing.

I was told that the bikes would ship out on August 3rd, not arrive at LBS, just an fyi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    Dude, that's ****ing awesome. I did a similar test ride with a Tallboy XL. I could tell it was close, but a bigger frame would be perfect. Santa Cruz bikes feel so amazing.

I was told that the bikes would ship out on August 3rd, not arrive at LBS, just an fyi.
    Ok. That's sounds right. Luckily I'm about 2 hours from Santa Cruz so 4th or 5th of August. Maybe...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the analysis. I am currently in between getting an HT or the LT version.

So looking at the HTLT vs HT there is almost no pedaling penalty by going HTLT. Also there is a very slight increase in progressiveness in the HTLT. And the only penalty with going HTLT will be the weight increase vs the HT?

Are those fair assumptions based on the charts?

Thanks and sorry for Google translator. Looking at this the progressivity is about 12% and the LT is about 13%, so it's practically the same and also the shape of the curve is the same. Anyway the key is in the values. The LT has lower values and this means that more force is needed in the rear wheel to compress the shock. There is a difference of 0.1 more or less which is considerable so the LT requires a bit more force to reach full travel. In other words, a bit lower spring (air or coil) for the same compression force.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Sulit View Post
    Thanks for the analysis. I am currently in between getting an HT or the LT version.

So looking at the HTLT vs HT there is almost no pedaling penalty by going HTLT. Also there is a very slight increase in progressiveness in the HTLT. And the only penalty with going HTLT will be the weight increase vs the HT?

Are those fair assumptions based on the charts?

That is. I think you must choose the bike which the geometry fits you better.

My words are based in the charts, which are based in mechanisms theory. So it's only about kinematics but you can get an idea of how the system works and the shock that needs the bike according to your preferences.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    For the lay person, does this mean the ht lt or the ht 27.5+ provides a smoother ride over rough Terrain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    For the lay person, does this mean the ht lt or the ht 27.5+ provides a smoother ride over rough Terrain?
    Probably the 27.5+ provides a smoother ride due to lower pressure and more contact of the tire with terrain but not due to suspension system because is quite similar. The best answer I can give you is trying to test both configurations :S

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post
    It's not equal but closer than the 10mm in travel. I believe it is around 6-8mm difference (like 542 vs 549mm) axle to crown. So you will get maybe 0.3 degrees slacker bike...
    Cool, thanks. So how does the HT with 150mm Pike compare to the LT with 150 36 compare in regards to reach?

If you ran 150 on the HT is the stock reach near the same on the LT I guess is what I'm asking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    In Low (29er mode), stock reach on a Large HT is 17.72" (551mm axle to crown fork)

LT, stock reach on a Large is 17.44" (561mm axle to crown fork)

So you would need to find the axle to crown measurement of the fork you will be using and you could get a good idea on how it would affect the reach.

mtbr member
    In Low (29er mode), stock reach on a Large HT is 17.72" (551mm axle to crown fork)

LT, stock reach on a Large is 17.44" (561mm axle to crown fork)

So you would need to find the axle to crown measurement of the fork you will be using and you could get a good idea on how it would affect the reach.
    I have run the numbers, with a Fox 36 160 the LT or standard HT has a 438 mm reach which is identical to the Nomad 3

mtbr member
    My LBS has a frame on display but no full builds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post

My shop said a M complete would be end of August if I ordered it today.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have run the numbers, with a Fox 36 160 the LT or standard HT has a 438 mm reach which is identical to the Nomad 3
    That's actually really good news as I loved the way the XL Nomad 3 fits me. STA would get a hair more slack but that doesn't bother me too much. Most of my trails are fire road grinds that lead to miles of singletrack descents.

Oh, but that orbea rallon! Something about the clean lines of the HT/Nomad 3 just does it for me tho... Still keep coming back to the wreck as well but the extra frame weight is just too much. It's the equivalent of 2 pints of beer I could bring with me on the ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great blog. Not sure if asked before, but could you do a linkage analysis of the regular Hightower but with a 57mm stroke, aka long-shocked.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hence why I jumped on it ASAP. I knew they were gonna start filling orders and have to push deliveries back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggyg View Post
    200x57
    thanks for shering it,

it loks like santa has changed finally the damper valving for the vpp from L/L comp and reb for M/M comp and reb\

I have put for my HT from begining the Float X with M/M and it's a perfect match

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I can't wait to see the builds start rolling in!
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    My shop said a M complete would be end of August if I ordered it today.
    So are dates starting to get pushed back already? Just completes or frames also?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast