mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    My big forked (170mm), sized up HTLT (Lrg instead of Med)Attachment 1218182
    Love that color

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    My big forked (170mm), sized up HTLT (Lrg instead of Med)Attachment 1218182
    what water bottle/water bottle cage did you install? im in search for a water bottle for my HTLT

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by balentong16 View Post
    what water bottle/water bottle cage did you install? im in search for a water bottle for my HTLT
    The side entry bottle holder from Spez

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thatís the Zee cage from Specialized, available in left or right load, plastic and carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Shockwiz

Got this result from my shockwiz run.
    I've got an xxl ht with Fox dpx2 my18. What can I do about this, there is no high speed compression adjustment, or?
    The shock has a 0.4 spacer

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-screenshot_20181006-122903.jpg

mtbr member
    Unless you send your shock off for a custom tune, or buy an X2 with all the dials, this is what you get. I'm nearly in the same boat with my DPX2.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    I'll just drop this here. Gutted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_8302.jpg  

Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post

That sucks man. I don't know why they don't have the rubber guard extend all the way to the edge here. It's such an easy place to damage. After a getting a big rock chip I put helicopter tape there.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroll View Post
    Got this result from my shockwiz run.
    I've got an xxl ht with Fox dpx2 my18. What can I do about this, there is no high speed compression adjustment, or?
    The shock has a 0.4 spacer
    You can try a different starting condition. (air pressure and spacers) Because Shockwiz seems to accept a relatively wide range of initial baseline air and spacer combinations as OK, it seems to leave the tuning process open to landing in a sub-optimal place. Only way around that is experimenting with a number of different starting air and spacer combinations. (or trying a different shock)

<edit removed detail of the shock tuning as they weren't making sense to me after I re-read, overall approach of different baseline and spacer experimentation was what worked for me, details fuzzy after a year>

LCW
    mtbr member
    Ouch.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ouch. I hope SC makes those frame protectors wider. Non drive side gets blasted with rocks right on that edge.

mtbr member
    Went to the bike shop for inspection on the hit, which seems pretty soft and the cracks are nearly 3 inches long (pic above). I guess I was so focused on the impact spot that I missed this on the opposite side of the bottom bracket. This was one single event. I'm pretty sure this frame is done. ARGH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_8318.jpg  

Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Went to the bike shop for inspection on the hit, which seems pretty soft and the cracks are nearly 3 inches long (pic above). I guess I was so focused on the impact spot that I missed this on the opposite side of the bottom bracket. This was one single event. I'm pretty sure this frame is done. ARGH.
    Uf-da! Sorry....

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    What exactly was the "single event"? I'm curious what could do that to this frame.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Don't want to release too many details till I hear what SC has to say, but I was on a tame blue trail at the bike park, approx 15 MPH in a berm, big rock flung up from front wheel of some sorts. I didn't case anything or hit a stationary rock of any type. I knew when it happened that it likely caused a scratch because it wasn't a lightweight hit, but I never dreamed it would look like this. I rode right through the event. Honestly, its got me a little sketched period on carbon after all the confidence I thought I had. I am sure it was a one in a million event. I wish I had a replay! Based on pics alone I am sure any company would be thinking "Damn, he hit the hell out of something way harder than he's saying." Meanwhile I'm slightly over here like "Damn, I cant believe this happened as a result of THAT." LOL Not the type to point fingers or cause drama. It is what it is....an unfortunate event. I'm positive something good natured will work out.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a HTLT with the XE-kit and DT 370 hub. I need to replace the useless E Thirteen cassette with one from Shimano. Does anyone know if the freehub body on the 240/350 hub will fit the 370? The hub does no longer exist on DT website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by torepuma View Post
    I have a HTLT with the XE-kit and DT 370 hub. I need to replace the useless E Thirteen cassette with one from Shimano. Does anyone know if the freehub body on the 240/350 hub will fit the 370? The hub does no longer exist on DT website.
    Yeah, you have to look at the wheel conversion charts with the 3-pawl. DT Swiss part number HWYABM00S6150S for the driver and end cap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
    Yeah, you have to look at the wheel conversion charts with the 3-pawl. DT Swiss part number HWYABM00S6150S for the driver and end cap.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Update: SC took care of me today with my claim on the frame. Satisfied fully in their efforts towards the cause and they just kept me a SC customer for a while for sure. I spent the money based partially on their reputation and it paid off.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Update: SC took care of me today with my claim on the frame. Satisfied fully in their efforts towards the cause and they just kept me a SC customer for a while for sure. I spent the money based partially on their reputation and it paid off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Fantastic!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

-Santa Cruz doin' what Santa Cruz does!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    just curious, did SC replaced it with wicklow green color?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    So glad to hear SC came to the party, that's why i bought a HTLT. But i still don't get why the downtube bashguard isn't wider! I run a MRP Chainguide/Bashguard to minimise bottoming out on carbon frame, well worth the 130'ish grams. Seems like all the high end brands run the worst frame protectors, Trek do the best job of this. Rocky Mountain only give you stick on soft foam.
    Last edited by Slash65; 10-12-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 1/2 View Post
    Fits a lot better with the Zee cage
    what size is your frame?

mtbr member
    what size is your frame?
    Itís XL

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Can we have a Hightower pictures thread like there is for the Bronson?

Would love to see what colour schemes others are running for Wicklow green HT frames. My fork decals are a bit ratty and looking at replacing and wondering what to change to from stock. (Fox 36 blacked out graphics)

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here is my 2018 wicklow green HTLT

Fox float 36 kashima coat 160mm
    Fox DPx2 rear shock
    enve 800mm handlbar
    thompson 50mm stem
    CK droptset headset
    XT m8000 brakes with xtr shifter and RD
    XX1 eagle crank
    CK BB
    oneup 170 dropperpost
    WTB volt saddle
    Maxxis minion DHF DHR 2.3
    CK hub on a stans flow mk3
    HT AO3 pedals
    Oneup EDC tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_0063.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_0062.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
    Funny, my Fabric bottle arrived last night and failed the test-fit. I am really trying to avoid a traditional (ugly) cage but eyeballing the water bottle systems you mentioned I believe we would have similar results unfortunately.

Evan

Attachment 1169715Attachment 1169716Attachment 1169717
    how did you able to fit the fabric water bottle? i have that on my tallboy but after moving to HTLT size M, it doesnt fit anymore

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So I have the 2018 X01 Hightower LT w/ Reserve wheels...absolutely love the bike (coming off a 2017 Nomad). The bike took some getting used to in regards to climbing with 29Ē wheels and tight switchbacks. After a short while though I totally got used to it...I now love climbing with it and can push those 29Ē wheels in hella tight situations.

About 6 months ago I upgraded to the Push 11/6...Amazing! Note... I really liked the Fox Shock it came with. After riding all Summer (including bike park days at North Star & a week at Whistler) I decided to upgrade the Fox Fit 4 fork. After the 11/6 upgrade on fast, gnarly trails I did notice my fork would never t keep up with how sweet the 11/6 performed (the 11/6 just stays glued to the ground pushes the front end + eats up park days even when you over clear jumps).

I decided to long shock the fork at 170mm Push AC3 coil kit. 90% of my riding is trail (where I have to earn it with long climbs)...I live in NorCal. Iím hoping I made the right decision as I plan on keeping this bike another year and really want to push its (my capabilities) on the local trails focusing on bombing down hill sections.

Tomorrow will be my 1st roll with the Push AC3 fork...Iíll report out!

Anyone else long shock their Hightower LT? Feedback / thoughts....?

mtbr member
    Do 200mm Centerline rotors fit the rear without rubbing the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Do 200mm Centerline rotors fit the rear without rubbing the frame?
    yes

JDO
    Heart Plumber

My birthday gift

Well, this epic. My wife presented me this HTLT X01 Size M for my birthday. I was blowed away, I didnít suspect anything. She was talking secretly with my friend for two weeks and they told her this was my dream bike. Even better that my preferred color was at 10% discount.
    She bought it by herself and kept it at a friend house for days. The morning of my birthday I went to the kitchen for a coffe and there it was.

Love my wife!!!!

So far the bike is everything I dream it was. Already change stock stem, handlebar and grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-39c2781a-df15-472f-9992-effd46557c7b.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-39ca1851-7e88-494a-b421-5b1268d19898.jpg  

Last edited by JDO; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDO View Post
    Well, this epic. My wife presented me this HTLT X01 Size M for my birthday. I was blowed away, I didnít suspect anything. She was taking secretly with my friend for two weeks and they told her my this was my dream bike. Even better that my preferred color was at 10% discount.
    She bought it by herself and kept it at a friend house for days. The morning of my birthday I went to the kitchen for a coffe and there it was.

Love my wife!!!!

So far the bike is everything I dream it was. Already change stock stem, handlebar and grips.
    Happy Birthday - wow! Kudos to your wife!
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Kudos to your wife!
    Amen!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDO View Post
    Well, this epic. My wife presented me this HTLT X01 Size M for my birthday. I was blowed away, I didnít suspect anything. She was taking secretly with my friend for two weeks and they told her my this was my dream bike. Even better that my preferred color was at 10% discount.

Love my wife!!!!

This is epic. Congrats on probably one of the best birthdays ever!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Rad little graphic I found on the gram

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5uC7NB...=18tvw1p7m4vi6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loud hubs save lives

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

Late night build and my HTLT is ready to party. Demoíd one last year and could never shake how much i liked the bike. I know theyíre due for an update, but itís a sick bike and will continue to be.

Mix of old and new.

Itís stablemate Big Honzo got quite a few of the stock parts and still have enough to rebuild my 111 for sale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any words or rumours regarding new HTLT (or any kind of 29 SC-Enduro). Somewhere I read that it will be basically a 29er-Nomad.
    Especially I am eager reagarding the planend timing/release date.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    SC almost always announces around Otter then releases in June/July. I think the new LT will be 150-160 rear with the new Bronson linkage. At least Iím hoping. The Bronson rear end is amazingly good at small chop and big hits while feeling very planted and pedals awesome. They could even keep the OG HT and update the rear also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    I know theyíre due for an update, but itís a sick bike and will continue to be.

I like your thinking and that color is awesome.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Anyone have the color
    Code for the sky blue LT?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Interesting to see if they announce separate models by 165mm and 150mm travels. There is increasing demand for long travel 29Ē, while 150mm is also important. Like Nomad and Bronson. Anyway no regrets with present LT and going to keep it for years since it is so good. Seat angle works really well, when seat is pushed to front. Also the updated linkage over the Oght is sufficiently progressive. Interesting to see if new model is better regarding the suspension, you can create suspension curve by so many different ways, the limiting factor should not be if the link is located up, or near the bb. For the cosmetic reasons it can be.

Magically Delicious

Wow! Throw in a Kickstand for just $14.99!! I'm in.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-20181027_162002.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sky Blue HTLT Pantone Codes below, direct from SC:

Paint (Blue) - PMS 551c
    Decal (Brown) - PMS 10375c

New frame on the way shortly!
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Anyone who buys this caliber of bike should know how to install the kickstand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181027_162002.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1222817

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ear_ache View Post
    Anyone who buys this caliber of bike should know how to install the kickstand.

I don't know how to put a kickstand on a Hightower.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Neither do I
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    it replaces a spacer in the BB :-) they can also be is ISCG :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Fork offset question. Currently I'm running my HTLT with Pike RCT3 150mm with Luftkappe installed. The fork has 46mm offset. I'm thinking of buying Lyrik RC2 160mm which comes either with 42 or 51 mm offset. As I understund, the bike was not designed for smaler fork offsets but lot of people ride it with FOX 36 with 44mm offset version.

Will it benifit from a 42mm offset fork or 51mm woud be better option?

Alternativy, to save some budget, I'm thinking of keeping the Pike and extend it to 160mm with the Debonair upgrade. Can it be consider as the gold middle or Liryk RC2 will be realy noticible upgrade for the money?

Lightly salted
    I just called Santa Cruz today asking about fork offset.
    I was told that both the original Hightower and Hightower lt come with a 44mm offset fork on the full builds. 42mm is a lot closer to 44mm then the 51mm offset.
    Might be worth you calling Santa Cruz and asking them their opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Any Hightower LT V2 rumors

I'm planning to upgrade to a Hightower LT, but I'm not a fan of that seat tube angle, especially with a 160mm fork. What are the odds of Santa Cruz updating the bike next May? Has anyone heard anything? I think it must be due for a refresh

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    The seat tube isnít an issue. Just slide the seat forward if u have to. Go back several posts to see HTLT 2019 speculation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Would not swap the Luftkappe to debonair piston. Luftkappe should be even better with higher neg volume than Debonair. 160 mm maybe better than 150 mm, but some negative effect to bb height and SA. Offset gains are marginal. New Lyric or 36 grip2 are the best upgrades at 150.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    XXL HTLT Custom build
    I'm 6'5 with a short 32" inseam. Arms are also 6'5" so long torso and arms and short legs. 245-250lbs is my weight + gear

I literally got a fit yesterday and they changed things up quite a bit. I'll post numbers when I get home.

One thing I'd say is Minnaar's setup is probably going to be a lot different than most of ours...so I'd say don't stress too much.

I went with RaceFace Six C carbon bars 800mm wide 35mm rise
    I ordered the wrong Aeffect stem the one with the 6ļ rise and they ended up flipping it upside down yesterday and raising it up 1 spacer.

150mm travel, 50mm rf aeffect stem

In the end, my seat is just slightly lower than my that my bars.

Well I'm quoting myself, but I'm down to about 234lbs not including pack.

My lower back has been killing me on descents when in the attack position and I end up having to sit on the saddle to let it subside and then stand again.

I'm on a Hightower LT XXL as well and have been trying different stems. (40mm, 50mm, 60mm with 6 def rise) I have 35mm riser bars. Debating trying a 40mm rise bar.

I had a bike fit at the shop and things were good for a bit but then it started up again. They also had my handlebars higher than my seat height, but I think it was too low, so I raised it a little bit and now it seems like the seat is taller than the bars.

I feel like there is a little more pressure on the grips than I'd like, but the main issue is the descents. I almost feel like I'm too hunched...so maybe at my size I need to stick with the 60mm and maybe flip down.

My sag was also off after the weight loss - so I've fixed that. Needed around 300 psi with no spacers.

I do have a history of back problems/tight hips, so I've been stretching and trying to keep loose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    Well I'm quoting myself, but I'm down to about 234lbs not including pack.

My lower back has been killing me on descents when in the attack position and I end up having to sit on the saddle to let it subside and then stand again.

I'm on a Hightower LT XXL as well and have been trying different stems. (40mm, 50mm, 60mm with 6 def rise) I have 35mm riser bars. Debating trying a 40mm rise bar.

I had a bike fit at the shop and things were good for a bit but then it started up again. They also had my handlebars higher than my seat height, but I think it was too low, so I raised it a little bit and now it seems like the seat is taller than the bars.

I feel like there is a little more pressure on the grips than I'd like, but the main issue is the descents. I almost feel like I'm too hunched...so maybe at my size I need to stick with the 60mm and maybe flip down.

My sag was also off after the weight loss - so I've fixed that. Needed around 300 psi with no spacers.

I do have a history of back problems/tight hips, so I've been stretching and trying to keep loose.
    Have you thought about bumping up the fork travel 10mm?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismomike View Post
    Have you thought about bumping up the fork travel 10mm?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Naw, I'm not even going through the 150mm of travel. Maybe once my skills improve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    The seat tube isnít an issue. Just slide the seat forward if u have to. Go back several posts to see HTLT 2019 speculation.
    When you ride an XL or XXL, then YES, the slack seat tube IS an issue. My seat is all the way forward on the rails and its not enough. I want a steeper seat tube.

Looking forward to the new bikes come April/May! Was pretty close to switching out for the Yeti SB150 but they're having tire clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what adapter I need to for 200mm rotors in the rear. I got the Sram 20S adapters which works for the fork but not the frame. The rear of the pad ends up too high with the 12.5mm spacer. The front post with the 7.5mm spacer looks perfect.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what adapter I need to for 200mm rotors in the rear. I got the Sram 20S adapters which works for the fork but not the frame. The rear of the pad ends up too high with the 12.5mm spacer. The front post with the 7.5mm spacer looks perfect.
    60mm is rear from sram. 00.5318.009.004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    60mm is rear from sram. 00.5318.009.004
    That doesn't look right. That has holes for horizontal bolts.

mtbr member
    That doesn't look right. That has holes for horizontal bolts.
    errrrps, sorry, yeah, that's the IS adapter for the og hightower, I forgot what thread I was in. The HTLT is 180mm post mount, so you need the 20mm rotor adapter for sram, if shimano, you need the adapter for the 203mm rotor or 23mm. shimano has some weird naming conventions to this, so you'll have to look up what they are calling it if that's your bake of choice.

mtbr member
    I have a 20mm adapter from Sram. It works for the fork, not the frame.

Edit: Nevermind. I had the spacers swapped on the posts. Apparently the "upper" post on the frame is toward the front.
    Last edited by jeremy3220; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I just called Santa Cruz today asking about fork offset.
    I was told that both the original Hightower and Hightower lt come with a 44mm offset fork on the full builds.
    Wait, what? They changed the spec for fork offset on the 2019 models? Can anyone confirm this?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    Wait, what? They changed the spec for fork offset on the 2019 models? Can anyone confirm this?
    Call Santa Cruz.
    I called them twice and got 2 different employees and was told the same thing twice.
    Hightower and Hightower lt full builds now spec with 44mm offset fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Call Santa Cruz.
    I called them twice and got 2 different employees and was told the same thing twice.
    Hightower and Hightower lt full builds now spec with 44mm offset fork.
    Fuenstock, sorry if it came off like I didn't believe you. Mostly I was just surprised. But also, there's plenty of examples of folks getting mixed information from a company depending on who you talk to--look at all the conflicting info from Fox about the "extra" clicks on their Grip2 damper. Anyway, I wasn't doubting you.

I spoke with SC just now, and was told that they've moved to 44mm offset for all the 29ers, not just the Hightower models.

mtbr member
    ^ that comes without any change in geometry? If so, would that make the wheelbase shorter? What impact that might have on riding. I'm curious since I'm thinking to update my OGHT MY2017 fork and if 44 mm offset is what SC recommends, I'll get that.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Minor change, 44mm works for sure, but so does the old std. Probably a bit greater effect in more longer and slacker bike.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    ^ that comes without any change in geometry? If so, would that make the wheelbase shorter? What impact that might have on riding. I'm curious since I'm thinking to update my OGHT MY2017 fork and if 44 mm offset is what SC recommends, I'll get that.
    I was told that the 44mm would give better high speed stability and that the 51mm is better for slow tight twisty trails. They also said either is fine to use, but they decided to go to a 44mm fork.
    My last oght had s 51mm fork and my current oght has a 44mm fork and I canít really say I feel a big difference.

mtbr member
    Having an awesome time with my N4, I decided to dump my 5.5 and order the clay LT, size Large. Can't wait to pimp it out! total mess in the garage, but love how the N4 turned out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    When you ride an XL or XXL, then YES, the slack seat tube IS an issue. My seat is all the way forward on the rails and its not enough. I want a steeper seat tube.

Looking forward to the new bikes come April/May! Was pretty close to switching out for the Yeti SB150 but they're having tire clearance issues.
    Thanks. I would be buying an XL, which is why I'm concerned. Haven't had a chance to demo one yet, but I'll try sliding the seat forward when I do.

I was looking at the SB150 as well and the Ibis Ripmo, but I love my Bronson 1 so much, that I'd really rather stick with SC

mtbr member
    Holy Hell. My new warranty replacement frame just arrived. I LOVED my wicklow frame and almost didn't go sky blue just because I've loved the WG so damn much but SON, this Sky Blue frame in person is sexy. WOOOOOO! Just had shoulder surgery on Friday so this is gonna be a loooooong wait. This frame is SICK. I will say I thought it was gloss....and it aint.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Holy Hell. My new warranty replacement frame just arrived. I LOVED my wicklow frame and almost didn't go sky blue just because I've loved the WG so damn much but SON, this Sky Blue frame in person is sexy. WOOOOOO! Just had shoulder surgery on Friday so this is gonna be a loooooong wait. This frame is SICK. I will say I thought it was gloss....and it aint.
    I'm waiting on a warranty replacement frame in blue too. I prefer the slate grey but the blue looks good for sure.

loud hubs save lives
    I just got a Wicklow green, but saw the blue in person last weekend at the Hub in brevard

Looks very nice and i liked the matte finish. I was slightly relieved that it wasnít exactly Carolina blue ( because i wouldíve definitely wanted it )

mtbr member
    I was told that the 44mm would give better high speed stability and that the 51mm is better for slow tight twisty trails. They also said either is fine to use, but they decided to go to a 44mm fork.
    My last oght had s 51mm fork and my current oght has a 44mm fork and I canít really say I feel a big difference.
    Now I'm confused. Based on discussion on mbtr tech talk, an increase in offset should increase the wheelbase and aren't longer bikes more stable? I also thought that shorter 44 mm offset is to compensate that poor handling in modern longer frames.

Now if you install a fork with 44 mm offset to HTLT (that is not very long bike), wouldn't you make it even more twitchy?

https://reviews.mtbr.com/tech-talk-h...bikes-handling
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Couple of pics in different light for you guys. That's Toyota Cement Gray as a color reference as a background in the one pic. No idea why the pics turn when I upload....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_8797.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_8795.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_8796.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-img_8794.jpg  

Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice colour!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyjared View Post
    I was looking at the SB150 as well and the Ibis Ripmo, but I love my Bronson 1 so much, that I'd really rather stick with SC
    Be careful with the SB150, not only is it really expensive, but Yeti is having problems with the rear seat stays getting left to right tire rub. Not to mention it comes with PFBB. Right now Yeti seems to be warrantying the rear triangles on those frames, but not sure if the same issue will still happen. I've been on the Ripmo, it pedals really really good and because the frame is so light, it can be built up at 27.5 - 28lbs easy. But the HTLT is really so good that you wouldn't be disappointed. Ride em both and decide.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Be careful with the SB150, not only is it really expensive, but Yeti is having problems with the rear seat stays getting left to right tire rub. Not to mention it comes with PFBB. Right now Yeti seems to be warrantying the rear triangles on those frames, but not sure if the same issue will still happen. I've been on the Ripmo, it pedals really really good and because the frame is so light, it can be built up at 27.5 - 28lbs easy. But the HTLT is really so good that you wouldn't be disappointed. Ride em both and decide.
    Yeti also didnt warranty my Sb5.5 this summer that had a cracked head tube. The company is garage.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Now I'm confused. Based on discussion on mbtr tech talk, an increase in offset should increase the wheelbase and aren't longer bikes more stable? I also thought that shorter 44 mm offset is to compensate that poor handling in modern longer frames.

Now if you install a fork with 44 mm offset to HTLT (that is not very long bike), wouldn't you make it even more twitchy?

https://reviews.mtbr.com/tech-talk-h...bikes-handling
    Shorter offset gives you more trail in the front of the bike which increases on center feel. The 6mm of 1200ish wheelbase is small, but the 6mm of 100mm trail is large.
    Either way this is a relatively small change and you will get used to it in a couple of rides. I ride XL, XXL bike and love shorter offset forks to keep the front rear ratio somewhat in check.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Propr
    Couple of pics in different light for you guys. That's Toyota Cement Gray as a color reference as a background in the one pic. No idea why the pics turn when I upload....
    So is this thing matte finish like you would want matte invisiframe on it, or would you go gloss?
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LTcc - Ď18 Lg - Sold
    (Building up Ď19 in XL)

mtbr member
    that light blue is really sweet

mtbr member
    Gloss would definitely not look clean. I heard the Matt invisiframe is more ďsatinĒ so I went with that. Iíll definitely report back for you broís.

mtbr member
    Nice! I really like the cement color on your tundra too! am looking at getting one soon....and a HTLT.
    I said, ďDoc, when I do this, it hurts!Ē Doc responds, ď then donít do thatĒ.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

mtbr member
    Shorter offset gives you more trail in the front of the bike which increases on center feel. The 6mm of 1200ish wheelbase is small, but the 6mm of 100mm trail is large.
    Either way this is a relatively small change and you will get used to it in a couple of rides. I ride XL, XXL bike and love shorter offset forks to keep the front rear ratio somewhat in check.
    OK. I kinda thought that longer offset would move front axle center forward but it is the other way around.
    Roots, bloody roots

b4z
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    New to the club, love this color combo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-newbike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anybody else have pics of the 2019,LT in that blue? I just changed from the clay color to blue on my order.

b4z
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Couple more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Hightower LT-htlt2small.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT-htlt1small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Question for you guys. Has anyone played around with the stack height or stem length to try different riding configurations? Wondering if you guys have found dropping the stack, swapping stems, or a combo of both have given the bike a more substantial balance or control? Iím 5í10Ē with 30Ē inseam and ordered a large. Thinking of swapping to Renthal bars with 35mm riser...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiburi View Post
    Question for you guys. Has anyone played around with the stack height or stem length to try different riding configurations? Wondering if you guys have found dropping the stack, swapping stems, or a combo of both have given the bike a more substantial balance or control? Iím 5í10Ē with 30Ē inseam and ordered a large. Thinking of swapping to Renthal bars with 35mm riser...
    I run 20 mm Renthal rise with 10 mm of spacers on an XL at 5'10" and a 32 inseam. It is personal preference, but I think you will be fine with the 35's.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Iím 6í on an XL with a slammed 30mm stem and it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just donít want to strain my lower back by being extended too far. I think Iíll go with a 50, since thatís the normal build from the factory. Thx guys! If any of you ride in Santa Cruz, let me know. Iím in the South Bay and ride Santa Teresa, Coe, and recently San Vicente has become my preferred local... I donít know the trails very well in SC, but want to ride it more often and would like to hook up with anyone who rides there. With the smoke these days, it seems SC is the only area in the Bay that has clean air..
    Last edited by chiburi; 1 Day Ago at 08:58 PM. Reason: Mispell

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chiburi View Post
    Yeah, I just donít want to strain my lower back by being extended too far. I think Iíll go with a 50, since thatís the normal build from the factory. Thx guys! If any of you ride in Santa Cruz, let me know. Iím in the South Bay and ride Santa Teresa, Coe, and recently San Vicente has become my preferred local... I donít know the trails very well in SC, but want to ride it more often and would like to hook up with anyone who rides there. With the smoke these days, it seems SC is the only area in the Bay that has clean air..

Iím the same height 5í10 but a 33Ē inseam
    Running a large frame, 45mm stem with uncut Enve RSR bars. My stack height is 10mm and I canít go higher as fork was cut by previous owner that low.
    I found i was a long way forward compared to my old stumpy. But the position is very good for attacking. However a recent back injury (looped out manualling) has me thinking of getting similar height bars as you plan to get a bit more upright. I donít really want to play around with seat position too much. Alternatively I could go a slightly shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Makes sense! Thanks for sharing. Hope the back heals quickly for you. Let me know if you make the change in bars and how it feels.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728