Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

The first report has appeared, so here's a new thread with the bike's name. Let the discussion commence...

New Santa Cruz Chameleon spotted in the wild! - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    thats the bike ive been waiting for. hoping to get mine this summer

Last edited by nauc; 03-07-2017 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well if I ever break my 2014 Trek Stache I now know what I will replace it with.

WNC Native
    subscribed
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Yup...this might actually be my next trail bike.

Although I'm leaning more towards a TB3
    Last edited by LCW; 03-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Might have to order this frameset... Who wants to buy a 17.5 Stache 5 (Miami)? LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Will it be available as a frame only?

WNC Native
    just in case anyone hasn't seen this - 2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27.5+ spy photos - Mtbr.com
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon has this been hiding in plain sight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon has this been hiding in plain sight?
    Whoops, looks like I wasn't supposed to see that.

SS Pusher Man
    Cambriabike has them listed for sale.

Santa-Cruz

Here is the geometry chart:

https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core...f3410&expurl=T

$1599 for "D" Kit
    $1999 for "R" Kit
    $749 for frame
    Bicycles dont have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    $1599-$1999
    small, medium and large available in two different build kits
    Trail hardtail
    Adjustable Drop-outs
    29 or 27.5 Plus wheel options
    Single speed compatibility
    Boost rear spacing
    67.5 Degree HT Angle

D Kit
    Recon Silver 120mm fork on both 29 and 27.5 Plus
    1x11 SRAM NX drivetrain (11-42 cassette)
    SRAM Level Brakes
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Front / Rear

R1 Kit
    Fox Rhythm 120mm fork on both 29 and 27.5 Plus
    1x11 SRAM NX Drivetrain (XD/10-42 cassette)
    SRAM Level T Brakes
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Front / Rear

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the info!

Why is there a frame set for 27.5 plus and 29? Shouldn't they be the same?

Are they really different? Geometry charts shows the 29 has a 100mm HT in S and M, but it's 90mm for 27.5 plus. What gives?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    does anyone know yet if it can handle a longer travel fork? is the geometry adjustable with the rear drop outs and a longer fork?

mtbr member
    how are the SRAM Level brakes? are they at least reliable? i had some Juicy 3 brakes... pita!

fraid of heights
    Well the color looks a lot better in these shots and on CBO. (MTBR color looked very baby puke green)

I don't get why they put such a slack seat tube on it?

More reach needs to be accompanied by a steeper seat tube to keep the top tube number in check. They've got an XXL top tube on a XL bike with a Medium head tube length but at least the angle on the head tube is decently slack...? WTH

Also they already have the Highball 27.5. So they have "tame hardtail" totally covered. The next time they update the molds for the highball 29 they could have added a little extra 27.5+ width clearance and had this bike covered. To call this a Chameleon it should have been ready and waiting to get a 130-140 fork and not end up hanging your ass over your rear tire... (read steeper seat tube angle) OR if not that then how come no rack and extra waterbottle mounts. Why no nut strap, etc. If it's not gonna be all mountain than it would have been cool for it to be set up for backcountry...

Same thing with the GT Pantera. The name and history is awesome to me. Army green is awesome! But like this it's got some odd geometry choices.

The great thing with the Chameleon's of old, (I guess not this one OR the one before it), was that you could set it up from freeride/DJ/DS to cross country with the same frame. (and obviously deciding what's important to you and sizing accordingly)

Still, some black stickers over the purple and it would look good. And maybe I could live with slamming my seat all the way forward...??? OR not over forking it and sizing down to a large BUT then having to run a riser stem with riser bars so I don't OTB!!!

EDIT/looks like they don't cut the steerer tube? so I guess I would just need to keep 4 inches of steerer and I won't OTB...???

Would really like to have owned a Chameleon again, had been waiting and waiting for this and had been holding off buying a 27.5+. At least with hardtails you can still afford to try it out to see if you like it without mortgaging your first born...

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I hope they eventually offer a carbon version to compete with the Stache 9.

mtbr member
    Finally on website https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

Sorry if somebody already posted it, but I guess its NOT being labeled a 29+ plus which was mentioned in a article before.

BTW its crazy that it says the Large is for 5'10" to 6'1'' but the XL is for 6'1'' to 6'6''.

I dont know but that reach looks crazy long to me.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No weights listed.

I calculated the weight based on manufacturer weight listings for each of the parts and it comes in at around 26.5lbs for the D+ build. Does that seem right? Seems lighter than I expected. I realize these numbers can be a fair bit off, so are we talking somewhere in the 27-28lb range for the D+ build?

Even still, that doesn't seem horrible considering how heavy the NX drivetrain is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That geometry chart doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't put too much stock into it quite yet.

How the heck does top tube length change by wheelsize, but bottom bracket height stays the same? See? It's a bit funky and might be revised later.

This bike is amazing though. Great color, great spec. Certainly gives the Kona Honzo/Big Honzo a run for its money.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    BTW its crazy that it says the Large is for 5'10" to 6'1'' but the XL is for 6'1'' to 6'6''.

I dont know but that reach looks crazy long to me.
    I did a little parking lot spin on a new Honzo (size large, 475 reach) and it didn't feel nearly as huge as I expected. Honestly, it didn't feel that much bigger than my regular bike that has a 425 reach. Go figure.

mtbr member
    NSMB has ridden it.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/2017-santa-cruz-chameleon/

EDIT - among other things the reviewer has some specific thoughts and recommendations on how to build it up, essentially advocating ordering a frame instead of stock in order to get a longer travel fork. YMMV not valid in all 50 states some restrictions apply do not taunt happy fun ball etc.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 03-15-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added note about reviewer build suggestions

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I probably would have gone with this Chameleon over my Honzo AL/DL had the choice been available to me last year around this time.

I like the Honzo, but the lack of options for tire sizes in the rear is a bummer.

I considered making the switch to the new Chameleon, but I kind of want to just save money for a while and get a Stinner Tunnel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Honzo AL/DL fits 27.5+ easily. The problem is that it lowers the BB even more, and it's already crazy low. The Big Honzo has a higher BB. I pulled the rear wheel from the Big Honzo and stuffed it into the Honzo AL/DL, (and the Hei Hei 29) and it fits just fine.

I like that Santa Cruz is incorporating flip chips (Tallboy/Hightower) and dropouts (Chameleon) to compensate for the smaller diameter 27.5+ wheels. I think these provisions will set the standard for these swappable wheelsize bikes.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    this came off the link posted #22

Chameleon 'D Kit' : $1599 USD | $2249 CAD | 29lbs 29'er | 29.5lbs 27+
    Chameleon 'R Kit' : $1999 USD | $2749 CAD | 27.7lbs 29'er | 28.6lbs 27+
    Chameleon Frame Only : $749 USD | $1099 CAD | 4.6lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    No weights listed.

I calculated the weight based on manufacturer weight listings for each of the parts and it comes in at around 26.5lbs for the D+ build. Does that seem right? Seems lighter than I expected. I realize these numbers can be a fair bit off, so are we talking somewhere in the 27-28lb range for the D+ build?

Even still, that doesn't seem horrible considering how heavy the NX drivetrain is.

mtbr member
    No weights listed.

BikeRadar says the Large 29er R1 build weighs 28.4 lbs (without pedals)

Santa Cruz Chameleon 2017 R1 29 first ride review - specs, weight, price review - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    BikeRadar says the Large 29er R1 build weighs 28.4 lbs (without pedals)

Santa Cruz Chameleon 2017 R1 29 first ride review - specs, weight, price review - BikeRadar USA
    You can easily add another pound for the D build with it's Rockshox fork and NX 11-42 cassette vs the R build's Fox fork and 10-42 XD drive GX cassette.

mtbr member
    wonder how the 27.5+ wheels compare to the 29er wheels, weight wise

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by dunleavy View Post
    I did a little parking lot spin on a new Honzo (size large, 475 reach) and it didn't feel nearly as huge as I expected. Honestly, it didn't feel that much bigger than my regular bike that has a 425 reach. Go figure.
    Steep seat tube and short stem so your not that much farther away from the bars even though the reach is longer.

That's why I don't get the geo on the new Chameleon...?

AND it even says 140mm fork compatibility. They must mean the headtube is strong enough to take it. Not that the geometry of the bike is meant to use one!

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Honzo AL/DL fits 27.5+ easily. The problem is that it lowers the BB even more, and it's already crazy low. The Big Honzo has a higher BB. I pulled the rear wheel from the Big Honzo and stuffed it into the Honzo AL/DL, (and the Hei Hei 29) and it fits just fine.

I like that Santa Cruz is incorporating flip chips (Tallboy/Hightower) and dropouts (Chameleon) to compensate for the smaller diameter 27.5+ wheels. I think these provisions will set the standard for these swappable wheelsize bikes.
    Pry why most 27.5Plus Honzo/Process 111 conversions put on longer forks to help raise it back up some. (even the Hightower with the flip chips uses a longer fork to adjust the geo for the plus wheels)

I still don't think it makes sense the Chameleon says it has the same BB height with both wheel sizes? Maybe if you backed the adjustable drop out all the way out so the chainstay was as long as it could be and since the threads are angled with the chainstay it should lower the BB drop on the frame.

And then suck the drop out in as far as it could go which would raise the BB drop and then with the smaller outer diameter plus size wheels you might get the same BB height? (however it doesn't seem like the BB drop would change that much...??? BIDK)

BUT the geo chart says they were both done with the adjustable dropout at the same place...?

Also, the wheels front to back on the Plus version are the same size, but on the 29er the front is a little bigger. So the geometry measurements would have to be "slightly" different even with super techy drop outs...??? I call BS!

SO the only way the two versions could have the same geo is if they "cooked the books" and put on 2.2's front and back on the 29er wheels and 3.0's on the plus wheels! (not that I'm sure that even does it, but should be close)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My interpretation is that you need an entirely different dropout for 27.5+ than for 29, not that you just adjust one dropout for the conversion. So, the 27.5+ dropout could raise the chainstays enough to keep the BB height static.

Downcountry AF
    My interpretation is that you need an entirely different dropout for 27.5+ than for 29, not that you just adjust one dropout for the conversion. So, the 27.5+ dropout could raise the chainstays enough to keep the BB height static.
    "The frames use easily swappable wheelsize specific dropouts in order to maintain geometry with both sizes of hoops." From the NSMB article linked above.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Ok so who's ridden one so far?

(Besides this guy: https://youtu.be/HjaMLm8qes0)

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    "The frames use easily swappable wheelsize specific dropouts in order to maintain geometry with both sizes of hoops." From the NSMB article linked above.
    Yeah, I checked the Santa Cruz website to see how much those dropouts run, but it doesn't appear they have them up there yet. Maybe they just give you both sets with the frame.

SS Pusher Man
    Yeah, I checked the Santa Cruz website to see how much those dropouts run, but it doesn't appear they have them up there yet. Maybe they just give you both sets with the frame.
    Not likely....the Highball and older Chameleon came with one set of dropouts....if you wanted the SS dropouts you had to pony up for them.

mtbr member
    So I rode 47 mi. round trip to a bike shop in Scottsdale to see the R1 27.5+ Cameleon today. Was a little strange as the Guy (Ricky) who posted a quick look video on Youtube of this bike was the person who helped me. Bike looks nice. They only had a large on the floor but are building up a med next week and was offered a parking lot ride. If it goes well I'll probably take it and if not it's a good excuse for another 47 mi. ride!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Lovely bike but $749 for the frame only seems pretty steep.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by AspiringXCGuy View Post
    Lovely bike but $749 for the frame only seems pretty steep.
    Same price as the Highball Al and the old Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm really curious how it compares to steel frames in the same price range (e.g. Nimble 9)

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Not likely....the Highball and older Chameleon came with one set of dropouts....if you wanted the SS dropouts you had to pony up for them.
    I emailed SC the other day. It comes with the set you order (e.g. 29er geared only, etc); additional drop outs need to be ordered separately. Max tire clearance is 2.5" on 29 and 3.0" on 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a TB3 as my main trail bike, and I also have an old Niner SIR9 that is usually set up as a singlespeed, but I'll sometimes put gears on it. The SIR9 has a been a good bike, but I've gotten used to the more modern geometry of slacker head angles and shorter chainstays, so I've been thinking of getting a new hardtail frame at some point. The new Chameleon looks pretty good, but I have some mixed feelings about it.

A good thing is the swappable dropouts so I can set the bike up as singlespeed or geared, 29er, or 27.5+. The geometry also looks pretty good -- I like the short chainstays and the head angle is slack but not too slack.

For bad things, I generally prefer steel or titanium for hardtails and never much liked the feel of aluminum hardtails. The frame also seems heavy for aluminum. It's 4.5 lbs., which is as heavy as my steel SIR9. The seat tube angle also seems a little too slack, but I'd probably fine with sliding my saddle a little more forward on the rails.

I can get a good deal on the frame, but the problem is that I'd have to also buy a new fork and probably wheelset. I'd also want to buy a dropper post for it. So all that stuff would add up to a lot.

Most of my friends' SIR9's eventually broke (usually at the rear dropout). Maybe if mine breaks I'll have a good excuse to get a new hardtail frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Gonna do a custom build with one of these, do 27.5+ and 29er use the same fork? Rockshox looks to sell pike/yari/lyrik as 27.5+/29 but fox seem to have 27.5 specific.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Gonna do a custom build with one of these, do 27.5+ and 29er use the same fork? Rockshox looks to sell pike/yari/lyrik as 27.5+/29 but fox seem to have 27.5 specific.
    I have a 27.5 plus Fox 34 and use it for a 29 plus setup... Going to it on this frame, 29 and 27.5 plus... Should be fun switching back and forth as needed... Ordered frame with both dropouts...

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    . Ordered frame.
    Curious,
    what size frame did you order and what was your eta?

I ordered a small and it's eta is April 17

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    For bad things, I generally prefer steel or titanium for hardtails and never much liked the feel of aluminum hardtails. The frame also seems heavy for aluminum. It's 4.5 lbs., which is as heavy as my steel SIR9.
    Spend an extra $150 ($999 total) for one of the 2017 boosted Vassago Verhauen frames arriving next week. It has similar updated geometry, can run all the same wheels/tires, and it's a steel frame that weighs the same as the Chameleon.

Thank me later.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Spend an extra $150 ($999 total) for one of the 2017 boosted Vassago Verhauen frames arriving next week. It has similar updated geometry, can run all the same wheels/tires, and it's a steel frame that weighs the same as the Chameleon.

Thank me later.
    Do you have a link to the updated geometry?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newagebiker View Post
    Do you have a link to the updated geometry?
    Tom (from Vassago) provided me with all the new geo details verbally. If you have any specific questions, I can probably answer them.

That said, Tom also has an entire website overhaul ready to go live as soon as the 2017 frames arrive -- which should be sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

If you have specific questions about the geo, send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer them.

You can also post your questions in the Vassago thread and I'll see them:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=760486

(Sorry for the thread hijack!!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm also very interested in this frame (the Santa Cruz, that is. I will probably also be very interested in the Vassago when I see the numbers for it.)

Here are a couple more ride reports for the Chameleon.

Singletrack Magazine | First Ride: The Chameleon From Santa Cruz Bicycles

Note that the bikeradar.com report is by the same guy from the youtube video that LCW posted. Now if only I had some money!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Curious,
    what size frame did you order and what was your eta?

I ordered a small and it's eta is April 17
    SIZE M... ETA was April as well...

mtbr member
    It looks like a nice bike but every time I buy a HT I realize I hate HT and sell it....lol
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'5 and is smack in the middle of a small and medium made my deposit and have yet to decide between sizes. I ride a medium 5010 and medium chameleon v6... Worried about the longer ty...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Were did you guys order from?
    Local shop?
    Online?

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    So I rode 47 mi. round trip to a bike shop in Scottsdale to see the R1 27.5+ Cameleon today. Was a little strange as the Guy (Ricky) who posted a quick look video on Youtube of this bike was the person who helped me. Bike looks nice. They only had a large on the floor but are building up a med next week and was offered a parking lot ride. If it goes well I'll probably take it and if not it's a good excuse for another 47 mi. ride!
    Mole
    Which shop in Scottsdale had one? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Which shop in Scottsdale had one? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bike Haus. I just got back from there again and will be taking the med. home tomorrow. The large is still there and I think they have a yet to be built small. Did a short ride around the shop area and only got to jump off curbs and ride it down some concrete stairs but enough to tell it fits right and steers well. Smooth ride front and back and excellent balance are what stood out on initial ride, brakes a little weak but not bedded in so expect them to improve (we'll see how much). Liked it enough to buy it, probably will get a chance to do a night ride tomorrow and have more (hopefully good things) to report.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hopefully by the time I save up for one, they'll have more colors!
    NBD soon @mikerides.mtb

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Hopefully by the time I save up for one, they'll have more colors!
    I agree! I keep wanting to go see one at the nearest dealer (2 hours away from me), but then I remember I don't have any money right now.

mtbr member
    im ok with the colors. its different but not bad. i think this looks pretty badazz

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Frame arrived today!!! Earlier than expected!!!

The color is WAY nicer in person...

I don't have boost wheels yet, so need to scavenge of another bike for now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Frame arrived today!!! Earlier than expected!!!
    What was your original ETA? I put in an order (full bike order) with the LBS the day they officially announced this bike and was told the ship date would be April 12. Wondering if I have reason to get my hopes up for early delivery haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was told mid April... Totally caught me off guard... I don't have all the parts to build yet...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ordered mine uetwrday mostly custom. At 5'9"/5'10" on a good day went with the med.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Tried a 29 plus in the rear... No go using Chupacabras with i45 rims... It spun, but rubbed the seatstay where the tire was out of true... About 2mm clearance on the true side... Trying to find a 2.8 in 29plus, but don't think that tire exists... Will install a plus DHR2 and DHF and see... Calipers show they are about 3mm narrower than the Chupacabras.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tried a 29 plus in the rear... No go using Chupacabras with i45 rims... It spun, but rubbed the seatstay where the tire was out of true... About 2mm clearance on the true side... Trying to find a 2.8 in 29plus, but don't think that tire exists... Will install a plus DHR2 and DHF and see... Calipers show they are about 3mm narrower than the Chupacabras.
    pictures please... i ordered a small... hopefully i get in May...

mtbr member
    Is there any place online that I can order one of these?
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Is there any place online that I can order one of these?
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NhdDEwMDE1Nw==

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post

Thank me later.
    Head tube angles aren't even close!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Thanks, I wish they had the plus version at the cheaper price, unless im not seeing it.
    2017 Surly Ogre

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Head tube angles aren't even close!
    You're right. I was just passed the geo for the new Vassago frames, and the HTA is 69* with a 120mm fork and regular 29er tires. The SC Chameleon is definitely a bit more slack, and the chainstays on the SC are 15mm shorter, as well (415 vs 430mm).

In fact, after finally seeing the brand new Vassago numbers, the two bikes are completely different animals.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I wish they had the plus version at the cheaper price, unless im not seeing it.
    id get that one

mtbr member
    I think availability is going to be an issue for a while. Rode my R1+ across town to the shop I got it at (only dealer in Phoenix whose had any) and was told it was good timing when I came in because the 3 they got were all they'd see till May. Also they happened to be having a Santa Cruz demo going on and the Santa Cruz employee working it had never even seen a Chameleon before today. Glad I got mine when I did!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ik have ask every dealer in the Netherlands and in Belgium, no one can delivier it. One dealer called to SC Germany and they also had no clue when it will be availlabe again :-(

Soy Chingon
    Ordered mine a couple days ago. LBS told me I would get it second week in May. The wait begins...

I was also told that there will not be too many of these bikes made. San Diego, where I live, will only be getting thirty of them for all the LBS.
    Soy Chingon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    New bike day!

This one came in as scheduled (was originally told April 12 when ordered, and that's when the shop got it). It got built up by the shop and I picked it up today. The only changes were a 32T chainring (better for West Michigan) and some Bombolonis because I know those roll and grip like crazy on our trails around here.

Haven't gotten it out on the trail yet, but even while messing around in the yard I can feel the balance and the maneuverability of this bike. Can't wait to take it out for a proper shakedown.

Side note: the shop said that their most recent order for one of these had a delivery date of late June. Yikes!

mtbr member
    thats a really interesting looking bike.... could be a solid option to replace the Stache! I'm also digging the colour combo
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    i replaced my 2016 stache 5 with it and don't regret it one bit, however with 28-inch inseam the smaller bike/tires suit me better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignition16 View Post
    New bike day!
    Haven't gotten it out on the trail yet, but even while messing around in the yard I can feel the balance and the maneuverability of this bike. Can't wait to take it out for a proper shakedown.
    I noticed that too right off. My "test ride" didn't even involve any dirt, just jumping off curbs and riding down some stairs. Bike is a quality tool!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ordered mine, a large, just under four weeks ago and was given an estimated date of April 18th, tomorrow. Stopped into the shop I ordered it from and they said no joy, estimated ship date now is May 8th

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bomboloni barely fits (pictured)... DHRII Plus has a little more room (not pictured)...

First off, all the reviews are spot on... Comfy in the rear, responsive in the crank, and rails hard!!!

Bought the frame and it weighed 5.4 lbs, size M (seat collar removed). 28 lbs on the nose as seen built... Sorry, for the crappy Anthropology shot...

Borrowed the wheels from another bike, as I didn't have any other Boost 29er wheels... Weight is slightly felt when climbing, but it is very stable - 780mm bar with 50mm stem, 120mm 27.5 plus fork... No dabs on the climbs yet though. 30x44 has been just enough...

Bombs down the chunk like my Nimble 9 and reminiscent of my Stache 5 Plus. The rear feels like I'm riding a plus tire, and closely muted like the N9 - close but not the same. Figured the stiff "cheena carbon" rims, i30 with 2.2 Ardent Race, would be jarring, but not at all - 17 psi, 250 lbs geared up.

Looking to setup in all configurations, as the 27.5 plus dropouts were also purchased. 130mm fork in 27.5 plus mode sounds spot on. 29plus rigid was always in my sights too, but will have to wait for a 2.8" 29er or 2.6" 29er for the rear. I really wish that 3.0" fit... Maybe the 2.6" will offset the front enough to get close to the target HT angle - 480mm A-C rigid fork. Doubtful, but maybe I'll try it with 2.2" rear first.

That said, my Stache 5 will be for sale... Rolling chassis: size 17.5, Miami Green, rigid fork and stock wheels... Might have kept the Stache if it was a size 18.5. Reach feels short now after riding the 440mm reach on the SC "lizard"...

I love this bike!!!

Sorry for you guys that have to wait for delivery. Feel free to ask me questions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-cham_bombo_1.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-cham_bombo_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bomboloni barely fits (pictured)... DHRII Plus has a little more room (not pictured)...

First off, all the reviews are spot on... Comfy in the rear, responsive in the crank, and rails hard!!!

Bought the frame and it weighed 5.4 lbs, size M (seat collar removed). 28 lbs on the nose as seen built... Sorry, for the crappy Anthropology shot...

Borrowed the wheels from another bike, as I didn't have any other Boost 29er wheels... Weight is slightly felt when climbing, but it is very stable - 780mm bar with 50mm stem, 120mm 27.5 plus fork... No dabs on the climbs yet though. 30x44 has been just enough...

Bombs down the chunk like my Nimble 9 and reminiscent of my Stache 5 Plus. The rear feels like I'm riding a plus tire, and closely muted like the N9 - close but not the same. Figured the stiff "cheena carbon" rims, i30 with 2.2 Ardent Race, would be jarring, but not at all - 17 psi, 250 lbs geared up.

Looking to setup in all configurations, as the 27.5 plus dropouts were also purchased. 130mm fork in 27.5 plus mode sounds spot on. 29plus rigid was always in my sights too, but will have to wait for a 2.8" 29er or 2.6" 29er for the rear. I really wish that 3.0" fit... Maybe the 2.6" will offset the front enough to get close to the target HT angle - 480mm A-C rigid fork. Doubtful, but maybe I'll try it with 2.2" rear first.

That said, my Stache 5 will be for sale... Rolling chassis: size 17.5, Miami Green, rigid fork and stock wheels... Might have kept the Stache if it was a size 18.5. Reach feels short now after riding the 440mm reach on the SC "lizard"...

I love this bike!!!

Sorry for you guys that have to wait for delivery. Feel free to ask me questions...
    envious... can't wait for my small frame to arrive... will build it as 27.5 plus. I already have a Highball as 29'er... what rims are those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    envious... can't wait for my small frame to arrive... will build it as 27.5 plus. I already have a Highball as 29'er... what rims are those?
    China carbon hoops, i30... Laced by Dusty at Hubsessed with Onyx hubs... The silent roll is trippy...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    5.4 pounds for the frame , thought it was supposed to be about 4.5 pounds.

I love this bike!!!

mtbr member
    Well they are sold out of the plus version and only have a select few 29ers available.

mtbr member
    Oops meant to add this

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    5.4 pounds for the frame , thought it was supposed to be about 4.5 pounds.
    Sorry, I meant 5 lbs, 4 oz... so more like 5.25 lbs, but still heavy...

mtbr member
    Guessing no one has managed to get a frame only if the completes are that scarce?

Australia
    For those who've moved from a 29+ Stache (with suspension fork, not rigid) it would be nice to hear how the 2 compare. The new Chameleon looks sick. I bet that colour combo is awesome IRL.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    For those who've moved from a 29+ Stache (with suspension fork, not rigid) it would be nice to hear how the 2 compare. The new Chameleon looks sick. I bet that colour combo is awesome IRL.
    My Stache 5 (2016 rigid) is/was fun as hell!!! I stripped all the stock parts and made it my own. I rode it rigid 80% of the time for typical SoCal trails, and would install a Fox 34 for shuttle run rides. Very capable in the fast, flowy, and rocky stuff. However, I discovered the bike was getting twitchy in the steep downs and had to be mindful at times, squishy or rigid. Never crashed, but figured I should have gotten the 18.5 and not 17.5 size. Tried a longer stem, and sliding the wheel all the way back, but it lost some of its flickability. Almost bought a larger frameset but built a Slash instead. Felt weird spending more coin to build an almost identical bike. My Stache would still be in one piece if not for the new Chameleon.

The longer reach of most new bikes really intrigued me, especially because of the scenario with my Stache. First ride with the Lizard blew me away! 29er mode though, with same Fox 34. Railed hard and stable in everything else. Better acceleration than the Stache, but lost the float roll. Felt higher on the Chameleon vs the Stache, where I was more in the bike, than on top. Not sure what the BB height difference is, but handling was not impacted. In terms of comfort when bombing down the chunk, with a 2.2 Ardent race on i30 rim felt very similar to the Stache with 3.0 rubber. It's not the wheel or rubber, but the frame doing its magic. Difficult to quantify, but it's there.

Will try 29plus with a rigid fork To see how it feels. 2.2 in the back to slack it out, and will try 2.6 too. 27.5plus wheels are being built, so I'll get to try it that too.

Australia
    Thanks mate. It's interesting to hear that in certain situations the 2.2 felt similar to the Stache with its 3.0 in terms of comfort. It's great that you're going to be able to try a multitude of different wheel/tyre combos over the next few months.

I love my Stache (a lot!) but the grass is always greener on the other side right? I'd just need to set aside an additional $1500 for all the purple anodized Hope bits in the promo shots, haha.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Guessing no one has managed to get a frame only if the completes are that scarce?
    got mine ordered as frame only option... dealer in the Philippines said I was one of the first batch to get ordered and arrival in SCB factory/assembly is 1st week of May... it mght take extra long to get it in the Philippines as it comes from Taiwan, then US, then back to the Philippines...

mtbr member
    Chameleon Bling - Mole

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-001.jpg

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Chameleon Bling - Mole
    Name:  homer.jpg
Views: 17600
Size:  25.7 KB
    29+ Stache

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Has anyone tried to fit a 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon or NN to a 2017 chameleon?

mtbr member
    Well I went a little different direction and went with a NS Essentric Djambo, the bikes seem real close and the frame cost me 325 bucks. NS Bikes 2017 - Stay True!
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Next available on autumn 2017 says my LBS.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Next available on autumn 2017 says my LBS.
    Yeah, mine said they will release new build kits and prices in July. They are willing to sell me their demo bike, but it is the D+ kit - not sure I want to go in w/ the Recon fork.

mtbr member
    Well I went a little different direction and went with a NS Essentric Djambo, the bikes seem real close and the frame cost me 325 bucks. NS Bikes 2017 - Stay True!
    That's a pretty tempting deal. Only thing that keeps me off it is that with a 140 or 150mm fork, the HTA would probably be 64 degrees. Too slack for me.

mtbr member
    Put my order in for a D build 29er today. LBS says mid-July arrival date

since 4/10/2009
    Pretty sure my next bike will be some sort of versatile AM hardtail that can do either 27.5+ or 29" wheels and this one is high on my list to build from the frame. It seems that everything I have access to locally has long waitlists, though.

My wife had better decide what new FS she wants and get that stuff ordered, because she'd get pissed at me for ordering a new bike before she does.

I just specced out a possible build to see what sorts of weights I'd be looking at. I have a number of different industry connections, so thankfully I won't have to pay retail (but that makes it next to impossible to come up with a price list before I start buying stuff). I definitely didn't go weight weenie for the build, but it at least looks reasonably possible to get build weight for a Chameleon frame to around 26lb (MRP Ribbon fork, Arc40 27.5+ rims/I9 hubs, SRAM GX 1x11, Shimano 180/160 brakes, Thomson Covert dropper, DMR Vault pedals, not a drop of carbon in the build).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    That's a pretty tempting deal. Only thing that keeps me off it is that with a 140 or 150mm fork, the HTA would probably be 64 degrees. Too slack for me.
    I just finished my build with a 150mm fork, bike looks super slack, Im waiting on a shorter stem than I will take sone pics.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Subscribing here. Thinking about getting one for my wife who rides 3-5 times a year on paths and some hard pack and currently doesn't have a bike. I'm thinking I can set it up as kind of a dirt jump bike for myself although I actually plan not to jump it other than trail stuff but to ride it around town on 20 mile rides. I am currently riding a 24" bmx on these rides and I love it. I also have a new Tallboy 3 and I love that too. I'm thinking either a small or medium Chameleon might fill that gap and do double duty for when my wife wants to ride. Just got off the phone with my LBS and he said the SC rep stopped by 2 weeks ago and said they are all sold out and it's going to be some time before they get more. He's calling to confirm for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had a 29 x 2.6 NN delivered for another bike today. I'll drop the wheel in my Chameleon to see if it fits. Hubs aren't boost, but it'll give you an idea of clearance on a wide (42mm outside Nextie Crocodile) rim. Need to post pics of my Chameleon and thoughts as well when it's not 12:30 AM! 😊

Australia
    I find it odd that these bikes were in stores before they were listed on the SC website, yet they're all sold out and are still no new ride reports.
    Last edited by bataleon; 05-06-2017 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'd love to hear some ride reports too! I contacted SC and they said they went very fast and aren't due back in stock until July.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm fairly new to MTB world and am really close to ordering a SC Chameleon and was wondering if 10% off, no tax and free shipping is a good deal? Also, is the R version worth the upgrade?

This will be my first bike so I am just looking for some advice. Then the other question would be, 27.5+ or 29? Is the frame the same for both setups?

Thanks,

Cameron

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I think it's a great choice! I also think that's a pretty good deal at least for what I can get it for. In fact I'd love to have you maybe pm me where you plan to get it from so I could possibly order one as well, I would however wait until you order yours. In regards to the R version, I think it's worth the upgrade myself and that's what I plan to order. However that's pretty subjective just like picking which bike is right for where you plan to ride. I have a 27.5+ and love it. I plan to order the 29er version as I don't have one yet. Id spend some time researching between the two. I was told when I bought mine (fairly recently) to go with 27.5+ and then later add a nice set of 29er wheels. Needless to say I love my 27.5+ tires. I do climb a lot and they are unstoppable and plow through everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I will send you a PM.

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct, that the only difference between the 27.5+ model and the 29er model is the the size of tires? Is there anything else different? Also, are both the 27.5+ and the 29er capable of switching to the smaller/bigger tire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yes, as far as I believe they are the same except for the wheel size. It's possible the derailleur bracket is different but I can't recall. Yes you can swap between 27.5+ and 29er and I thought I even read somewhere that you can stuff some fairly wide 29ers on it. It's a super flexible setup bike and that's a major reason for my interest.

mtbr member
    Well since the Chemeleon frame was so much money I found this 2017 NS Eccentric Djambo on pinkbike for 300 bucks, I had parts laying around so I used those and the wheels and tires I was swapping with my Hightower,but I prefer the Hightower in 29er mode more. Anyway here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-20170507_121128.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-20170507_121206.jpg  

2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone with a bike have any insight on sizing? I'm 5'10" so right on the line between medium/large per Santa Cruz suggested sizing, but I have long arms and I'm fairly flexible. Currently on an '09 Superfly SS Large which lines up similarly with the SC medium but I'm thinking really the only way to tell is to ride both... hard to do when they're sold out everywhere!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Hub in Brevard, NC has a large plus build available or did as of Sunday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeg1999 View Post
    I'd love to hear some ride reports too! I contacted SC and they said they went very fast and aren't due back in stock until July.
    Rode my D+ model this past weekend in the Mud, Sweat, & Beers race in Traverse City, MI. It's a 21-miler with some short steep climbs, fast two-track, flowy singletrack, and plenty of sand and roots. The only drawback I can find on the bike is just the weight of the wheels when trying to accelerate (I have Bomboloni tires instead of the Rekons, so mine are even heavier), but those plus tires give some amazing traction to hold speed in corners and over bumps. The bike is ridiculously balanced and poised through ups, downs, and turns. Despite this being really my third good ride on the bike, I found it very easy to feel comfortable blasting through sandy and root-filled downhill sections where others were grabbing the brakes (hitting 35mph on one of them! haha). When climbing up some steep sections and making the most of that 42t ring in the back I didn't run into any problems with the front end wandering despite the slacker head angle. The climbing traction of the bike is unreal with that plus tire on the back. When going through turns the bike is easy to set into corners and pedal through to keep the power down. The rider's normal position is very neutral and ready to handle about anything that could be around the next turn.

One other thing I noticed is how great I felt after the race. I didn't feel near as fatigued as I would have expected based on the level of training I had done. I noticed this same thing on my first ride on the bike as well. The combo of the plus tires and the fantastic design work from SC on the back part of the bike make it a really comfortable aluminum hardtail.

The only thing I've really had a minor issue with thus far is getting the seat height right and getting it to stay there. I'm 6'2" and riding a large, and the seat post is almost maxed out to get up to the right height. Additionally, the clamp they provided was slipping a lot on the first couple of rides. I didn't seem to have any trouble with the post sliding down much during the race though, so I must've finally been able to get it tight enough.

If you have any further questions, let me know!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeir13 View Post
    Anyone with a bike have any insight on sizing? I'm 5'10" so right on the line between medium/large per Santa Cruz suggested sizing, but I have long arms and I'm fairly flexible. Currently on an '09 Superfly SS Large which lines up similarly with the SC medium but I'm thinking really the only way to tell is to ride both... hard to do when they're sold out everywhere!
    The Hub in Brevard, NC has a large plus build available or did as of Sunday.
    I took that large plus Chameleon for a quick spin on Saturday. I'm usually a medium guy, but occasionally feel good on a large. I'll say that large Chameleon felt pretty good to me. I'm 5'8 with longer arms, so the bike felt pretty good in the tt length department. But I didn't have much ST length exposed...certainly not even enough for a 125mm dropper. I'll bet that a large Chameleon will probably be a good fit for 5'10 with longer arms.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I took that large plus Chameleon for a quick spin on Saturday. I'm usually a medium guy, but occasionally feel good on a large. I'll say that large Chameleon felt pretty good to me. I'm 5'8 with longer arms, so the bike felt pretty good in the tt length department. But I didn't have much ST length exposed...certainly not even enough for a 125mm dropper. I'll bet that a large Chameleon will probably be a good fit for 5'10 with longer arms.
    I just got mine this weekend. I am 5'10" with short arms and I went with the medium. I would think that you will want the large. I pretty much have my bike maxed out. I am hoping that I wont need a longer stem. I still need to ride it a few times but I have my seat as far back as possible and seat post is up a lot on the medium. I prefer a small bike and on my first ride it felt fast and great, very playful. That being said if I had longer arms I think I would be wanting the large.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Rode my D+ model this past weekend in the Mud, Sweat, & Beers race in Traverse City, MI. It's a 21-miler with some short steep climbs, fast two-track, flowy singletrack, and plenty of sand and roots. The only drawback I can find on the bike is just the weight of the wheels when trying to accelerate (I have Bomboloni tires instead of the Rekons, so mine are even heavier), but those plus tires give some amazing traction to hold speed in corners and over bumps. The bike is ridiculously balanced and poised through ups, downs, and turns. Despite this being really my third good ride on the bike, I found it very easy to feel comfortable blasting through sandy and root-filled downhill sections where others were grabbing the brakes (hitting 35mph on one of them! haha). When climbing up some steep sections and making the most of that 42t ring in the back I didn't run into any problems with the front end wandering despite the slacker head angle. The climbing traction of the bike is unreal with that plus tire on the back. When going through turns the bike is easy to set into corners and pedal through to keep the power down. The rider's normal position is very neutral and ready to handle about anything that could be around the next turn.

One other thing I noticed is how great I felt after the race. I didn't feel near as fatigued as I would have expected based on the level of training I had done. I noticed this same thing on my first ride on the bike as well. The combo of the plus tires and the fantastic design work from SC on the back part of the bike make it a really comfortable aluminum hardtail.

The only thing I've really had a minor issue with thus far is getting the seat height right and getting it to stay there. I'm 6'2" and riding a large, and the seat post is almost maxed out to get up to the right height. Additionally, the clamp they provided was slipping a lot on the first couple of rides. I didn't seem to have any trouble with the post sliding down much during the race though, so I must've finally been able to get it tight enough.

If you have any further questions, let me know!
    Do you live in TC? I live here and just got my Chameleon this last week but no tin time for MSB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by parkin11 View Post
    I just got mine this weekend. I am 5'10" with short arms and I went with the medium. I would think that you will want the large. I pretty much have my bike maxed out. I am hoping that I wont need a longer stem. I still need to ride it a few times but I have my seat as far back as possible and seat post is up a lot on the medium. I prefer a small bike and on my first ride it felt fast and great, very playful. That being said if I had longer arms I think I would be wanting the large.
    Thanks for the sizing input, guys - there is actually a large 27.5+ R build about an hour away from me (at Erik's in St. Cloud, MN). Given the low stock, I called them to hold it and I'll be checking it out tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Do you live in TC? I live here and just got my Chameleon this last week but no tin time for MSB.
    Nope, I live down by GR, but love visiting TC any chance I get. That was my first time doing MSB, and that's a great race. I'll be back next year for sure. Did you go for the 29er or 27.5+ version?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Nope, I live down by GR, but love visiting TC any chance I get. That was my first time doing MSB, and that's a great race. I'll be back next year for sure. Did you go for the 29er or 27.5+ version?
    I went with the R+. Really like it on my first ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I went with the R+. Really like it on my first ride.
    Good choice - I love how those plus tires just roll through all the sand we have around here. It's not a beach cruiser by any means, but it still gives you plenty of confidence when rolling through those random sand pits on trails where even a normal 29er tire can get real squirrelly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeir13 View Post
    My experience is similar to what's been said here, go with the Large. I'm 5'8" on a med. and am most comfortable with a laid back post (best leg position over cranks).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Shoot, this has me wondering a bit now. I'm 5'9" and ride a Large TB3 and am really happy with it. I was planning to order a Chameleon in Medium but now I'm wondering if Large may be better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride a medium 5010 V1 and had problems with the TT with a 50 mm stem and 760 mm HB. I had difficulty leaning back on steed trails... so when I ordered this new Chamelion, opted a small... I'm 5'5, stocky built and in my height it was in the middle of a S and a M, since on paper it said it had longer TT than my medium 5010, i just went on the small frame, hopefully I made the right choice =)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi, I have preordered a medium frame here in New Zealand they are not due until June / July so the wait continues. I'm 5'8" but with long limbs and always use a 20mm offset seatpost and a slightly longer stem.
    Currently riding a rigid Stache 5 29+ and find at times a bit too wheel to deal with, on tight single tracks and wish for a little bit more stand over clearance. Was going to set it up 27.5+ but the low bottom bracket rule that out.
    I know everyone will think its mad but will be setting the Chameleon up with a rigid fork for starters, might look at a Reba fork later.
    Have collected most of the parts for the build, but the stem as not quite sure of the length ? If anyone could tell me What length stem is spec on the medium size bike ?
    Would be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm both new to these forums and to 27.5+ bikes. However, I picked up a Medium Chameleon 27.5+ just over a week ago. I'm 5'8 (5'9 on a good day) and find that size to be perfect for me. I think I have average size limbs so prefer a shorter reach.

I was only able to test a medium though. The LBS only had one Chameleon in. I did test ride a Kona Big Honzo in a large and that seemed a bit big for me. Looking at the specs they seem to have similar characteristics.

Not sure how much that helps, with the limited stock around it seems you have to get what you can find.

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by middle america View Post
    I had a 29 x 2.6 NN delivered for another bike today. I'll drop the wheel in my Chameleon to see if it fits. Hubs aren't boost, but it'll give you an idea of clearance on a wide (42mm outside Nextie Crocodile) rim. Need to post pics of my Chameleon and thoughts as well when it's not 12:30 AM! 😊
    How did you go with the NN 2.6, did you get a chance to try it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

I'd also like to hear about some wider 29ers for this bike. Not sure if it was this thread or the inter webs where I read it may fit up to a 3.0! Just curious, and I will go back through this thread.

*Edit earlier in the thread it's posted as SC stating max 29er is 2.5"

Would still be interested to hear if the above NN 2.6 fit.
    Last edited by Jakeg1999; 05-11-2017 at 05:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

more sizing information

Now that I'm a proud owner, I wanted to contribute my experience with sizing so that others who search the interwebs might find some insight:

My measurements: I'm barely under 5'10" but my wingspan is about 6'2" so reach is definitely more of a factor than stack for me.

I picked up the Large R+ from an Erik's in St Cloud, MN and I was surprised to find that I actually felt CRAMPED initially. Once I got it home, I took some measurements of my previous bike (2009 Gary Fisher Superfly SS, Large). On the Superfly, with a 75mm stem and 25mm offset seatpost, the total cockpit length is roughly 57 cm. On the large Chameleon, which had a 50mm stem stock, and with the seatpost slammed all the way back on the zero offset stock Race Face seatpost, the cockpit length was ~54 cm. No surprise I felt a little cramped. My plan is to double check saddle setback from the BB and add length at the stem if I need to. I don't think I'll need to get a setback seatpost but we'll see. Seems like most droppers are zero setback with the exception of the 9point8 Fall Line, so if I go the dropper route, it's either the Fall Line (standard or offset) or the Thomson Covert dropper (which has a 5 mm offset).

Other thoughts:
    -NX shifting is pretty darn good for entry level. The shifter itself does seem a little cheap since it's a lot of plastic, and it's kind of a bummer that it isn't Matchmaker-compatible. GX shifters are pretty cheap, though, so I may swap it out for that in order to use Matchmaker clamps.
    -The Level T brakes seem fine. I read somewhere that the SRAM brake with DirectLink have less space between the rotor and the pads than SRAM SwingLink or Shimano brakes (generally) and that seems to ring true. My SLX brakes on my old bike definitely have more space around the rotor, so we'll see if I swap those out or not. If so, Problem Solvers makes the MisMatch 1.1 adapter so I could still run a single clamp for brakes/shifters.
    -The wheels are probably boat anchors, but I'm pretty happy with them so far. It's a nice touch that it came with the tubeless kit (Erik's no longer sets bikes up tubeless on the sales floor), and the tubeless setup was a breeze with a floor pump. We'll see how low I can go pressure-wise, but the setup process has me optimistic for a very solid tubeless performance. Also, the tubes I took out were 300 GRAMS EACH! So I saved over a pound by going tubeless.
    -On the topic of weight, this bike is a little beefy. After the tubeless conversion and with a pair of Syzr pedals on it, my scale put it at ~29.4 pounds. That's about 9 pounds heavier than the rigid carbon SS 29er I'm coming from, but having gears on the climbs and front suspension on the DH will make up for it.
    -Suspension-wise, I'm fairly inexperienced, having run rigid 29ers for the past 8-9 years, so fork feedback is within that context. The Fox Rhythm is definitely super smooth and I'm very happy to have a Fox fork for the $2K price (definitely a reason I considered this bike over others). The compression damper control level is on the top of the right stanchion and while it's not a true lockout, it certainly firms up fork action plenty for extended climbs or long fireroad/paved sections.
    -Saddle seems fine. I'm used to firmer road saddles, so the WTB Race Volt is fairly soft in comparison. Still, I have no complaints on that choice as I've had good luck with WTB saddles in the past.
    -I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but the stock Race Face bars/stem are 35.0 clamp diameter, so keep that in mind if you're looking to make any part swaps.
    -No complaints on the crankset either. My neighbor was jealous of the external BB. I would change the stock 175mm arms for 170s but that's my personal preference.

I haven't had a proper first ride yet since local trails were closed yesterday due to rain, so this evening I'll be breaking it in right. Hopefully my very positive first impressions stick around after some dirt time!

mtbr member
    I highly recommend to get 9point8 Fall Line.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Does anyone know whether Santa Cruz are speccing / recommending the 51mm offset forks on the Chameleon?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have just ordered the large frame (I am 5' 9") and am looking to go with the 27.5+ wheel option. It should be here in 4-6 weeks.

Anyone built one recently? I wanted to go with the custom build as I have wanted to have a go at this for a while now.

Any advice on the parts for the rest of the build? Going to spend the next few weeks getting some bit together and progressively building over the summer.

Was thinking of the SLX 1x11 group set and possibly some hope finishing bits in purple and the rest is still TBC..with the forks and wheels being my biggest question as not really had much to do with 27.5"+ until now.

I have a 35mm Easton Haven carbon bar so far and that's it !!

Thanks and any advice/pics appreciated.

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Still short some parts for mine so am not rushing it but got the BB and cranks on tonight. Was a little worried how tight it would be with a direct mount 32t boost chainring but fits fine with one spacer on the driveside of the bottom bracket. Cranks are a tight fit against the chainstays though.

Last edited by BertRoot; 10-06-2017 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    man, that crankarm is really close. hope theres no flex

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Looks worse on the pictures. Gap is just over 5mm on non drive side and 3mm on the drive side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What headset does the Chamelion need? Website says Integrated (IS41/52), however I can not find a IS 41??? only close is 42... is the website correct? thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone tried running the Cham with a straight set of 27.5 rather than plus?
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independant Kayak Site. No BS!

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have had my 27 plus Chameleon for a month now. I started out with 29 wheels and did not feel the love for some reason. Switched to the stock 27 plus set up and to me a huge difference. Bike became more fun, rails the turns now. The stock wheelset is heavy for climbing but really doesn't do too bad. Love the hard tail for climbing. I get no peddle strikes at all. I think that is why the 29er wheels made me feel disconnected is because the Bottom bracket is definitely not to low and the 29er wheels were about 3/4 inch taller.
    I agree with a previous poster that the cockpit is cramped. I am just under 6 feet tall have a large frameset and
    I added an after market longer stem with more rise to it and higher rise bars which helped. I really think a 140mm fork would help with fit. For me a raise in the front end up would be nice. Then I could go back to the stock stem with strait bars. Really fun bike. It is just taking awhile to get completely dialed to my liking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
    I have had my 27 plus Chameleon for a month now. I started out with 29 wheels and did not feel the love for some reason. Switched to the stock 27 plus set up and to me a huge difference. Bike became more fun, rails the turns now. The stock wheelset is heavy for climbing but really doesn't do too bad. Love the hard tail for climbing. I get no peddle strikes at all. I think that is why the 29er wheels made me feel disconnected is because the Bottom bracket is definitely not to low and the 29er wheels were about 3/4 inch taller.
    I agree with a previous poster that the cockpit is cramped. I am just under 6 feet tall have a large frameset and
    I added an after market longer stem with more rise to it and higher rise bars which helped. I really think a 140mm fork would help with fit. For me a raise in the front end up would be nice. Then I could go back to the stock stem with strait bars. Really fun bike. It is just taking awhile to get completely dialed to my liking.
    Curious, did you swap the dropouts? 29er wheels on the 27.5+ dropouts would tweak the geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I thought that was the case but my LBS said there are really only two available drop-outs. I thought from the pre market stuff there were three. The 27 plus and the 29 are the same. The option is the single speed drop out. I would like to know if my LBS was wrong but I doubt it. I really do not care at this point because the more I ride this bike the more I like it in 27 plus format. To much fun. I kinda wish there was some adjustment in the stock drop-out to make the wheel base even shorter. My current tire a 2.8 Rocket Ron on the rear could be moved farther forward with no clearance problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Articles at the bike's release stated there were four different sets of dropouts - Two boost and two 142. Each axle type had one dropout set that was 8mm lower than the other to make up for the height difference between 29er and 27.5x2.8 tires while keeping the geometry fairly similar.

That said, with the limited stock of frames, it wouldn't surprise me if SC hasn't gotten around to making a good stock of the different spare dropouts yet.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I read all that stuff and was stoked to have the options but when I asked about getting a 29 drop-out at my LBS they informed me it was not available. That was the end of April. Who knows about availability now?

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Mine have 27.5 written on them and the 29s had that on. Assume there is a difference but haven't compared them side by side.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I think my LBS gave me the wrong information when I inquired about getting 29er drop-outs for my 27plus. BertRoot and Ignition are correct. I went back to the release pictures that show the 4 drop-outs available. It was clear there is a difference between the 29 and 27 plus. Without throwing my LBS under the bus I figure they were not available when I asked about getting some. Who knows? Never-the-less I am very happy with 27 plus being the way to go for me. I am old school and never had a dropper seat post. I think its time for me to get one and get some air on this ripper!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Keep swinging between one of these and a cotic solaris max as a general use winter & light trail bike. I will initially build as 27+ but plan to swap out wheels from my full suss 29 when appropriate. I have not been on a hard tail for years and wondered if the new chameleon is a comfortable ride when compared to steel? (Still not seeing many ride reports online since launch as I guess most people have them on back order!)

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Dropouts are 57 quid from Jungle. Will post up a ride report if the shop that sent me the wrong front wheel ever get me the right one. For now it looks like this -

edit:Bah photobucket.
    Last edited by BertRoot; 10-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Nice start there Bert. To bad your just one wheel short of a test ride. What size frame and how much travel on your fork? I just pulled the trigger on a Fox 140 fork to replace my stock 120mm Fox Rhythm. I feel like my large framed Chameleon could use more travel.
    I will post a ride review after I get it dialed and a few rides under me.
    Good luck with yours.
    BTW. I checked out Jungle for the SC 29 dropouts. Very nice option for you. I am not aware of such company in the USA the has such a large offering of parts. Too bad they do not ship out of the UK. At this point experimenting with 29 set-up is a no for me. I sold my 29 wheel set to off set the cost of a new fork and dropper post. It never ends.

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Jungle are the UK importer for SC. I have put a 140mm Boost Pike on a medium frame but the wheel I got was a 100mm hub with a 10mm adapter so sent it back for a proper Hope Boost unit. Shop screwed up but wheel should be here Friday. Frustrating seeing it on the stand like that.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Any idea on availability? This is going to be my next bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Mid July from what I've been told by SC. I'm impatiently waiting as well!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Jungle are the UK importer for SC. I have put a 140mm Boost Pike on a medium frame but the wheel I got was a 100mm hub with a 10mm adapter so sent it back for a proper Hope Boost unit. Shop screwed up but wheel should be here Friday. Frustrating seeing it on the stand like that.
    29er or 27.5 fork?
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independant Kayak Site. No BS!

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unsponsored View Post
    29er or 27.5 fork?
    27.5, no interest in 29 for this thing. Masses of clearance with a 2.8" Rekon on a 35mm wide rim, even with the wheel skewed on the wrong hub.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    My LBS has just advised that my frame will now not be here till mid August.... I ordered mine mid May.

Gives me a it more time to source bits for the build but a little annoying...

Any recommendations on wheels ? I am going for the 27.5+ .

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    I went for Hope Texh 35W and they are running 2.8 Rekons alright. Front wheel landed before. Bike rides brilliantly. Easy to hop and lift the front and feels a lot longer than my full suss.

Bucket edit
    Last edited by BertRoot; 10-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Nice ride BertRoot. Enjoy. Every time I ride mine I come back with a smile. Really amazing ride for a hard tail. I am using 2.8 Rocket Rons front and rear on 40mm rims. Air at 14 lbs rear and 11 in the front. I am at 170 lbs currently for ride gear on weigh in and it is real smooth. Not missing rear suspension at all. How is the 140 fork?

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Fork rides really well and won't miss the rear sus till I hit something big as it does ride smooth. Best thing is the weight or lack of it. Looked high at the front when I first got the wheel in but the ride is how I wanted it to be, low rise bar, short headtube and 0 degree stem all seem to bring it together with the 140 fork. Will take it out later and dial the forks a bit more.

mtbr member
    how tall are yall? what size did you get? how do you like the fit?

mtbr member
    I went for Hope Texh 35W and they are running 2.8 Rekons alright. Front wheel landed before. Bike rides brilliantly. Easy to hop and lift the front and feels a lot longer than my full suss.

nice!

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    5 foot 9 with normal legs and got a medium. Fits great and not got the seat up high really. Feels longer than my other bike but that feels a little short and will probably get a 20mm longer stem soon. Running a 50mm stem and a 780mm bar. Feels similar in length to my old 2008 Orange Five.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Looking very nice Bertroot - I think I will go for a set of hope wheels also , after seeing them in a pic - it would be wrong not too 😉

I have gone for a 50mm Easton Havoc stem and an Easton Haven carbon bar.

Going to get the Hope bits in purple also (seat clamp, headset cup) and have an Easton seat post.

What saddle did you go for? my current bike has a crank brothers Iodine 3 but that is not comfortable on long rides and is in white so won't swap over - was looking at WTB Volt team or comp.

August delivery cannot come quick enough now.......

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Went for a Fabric Scoop as it was cheapish and purple. I like Selle Italia Max Flites but can't find the one I like any more. This thing is comfy though.

mtbr member
    no dropper post?!?.. u newb!

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Haha. Was waiting on the Reverb X1s but see they are out now. Will see what happens.

since 4/10/2009
    Haha. Was waiting on the Reverb X1s but see they are out now. Will see what happens.
    My wife has one of those. While it is a major improvement over the old plunger lever, I still like my Thomson Covert + Wolftooth ReMote better.

I am going to start frame shopping soon, I think. Haven't decided how long I am willing to wait for a Chameleon frame yet, so I have been compiling a list of alternatives.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Anyone had any updates on when this next round of bikes will start shipping? Mine is due out in July sometime and I'm getting impatient!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Just test rode one today at the factory. They told me they plan to start shipping late July. It's a great bike, felt extremely similar to my TB3, so much so that I'm now having second thoughts about getting one. I liked it a lot, but I kind of want something that feels a bit more different in a good way than my TB3. Felt a little bit lighter, not a large amount, and felt basically like a completely locked out version of my Tallboy. Fun bike for sure, but I too have started to look elsewhere but I have not crossed it off my list just yet. I want something super versatile and I'm planning to start with something in a single speed fashion and I'm drawn to trying 29+ wheels. Starting to think about maybe a fat but run it with some plus tires instead. I don't plan to ride in snow mud or much sand but I ride a ton of rocky chunky stuff. So many options, but I definitely wouldn't mind waiting for the Chameleon, if it wasn't so darn close in feel to my current bike I'd be all over it and still might.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have really been enjoying my Chameleon but sadly I need to sell it. Shameless plug for a very clean low hour Large R1plus build. Figure I might find someone who doesn't want to wait for the uncertain shipping of the next batch. I would like to sell it here in Utah soon or Hood River Oregon area after July 1. PM if interested. Priced to sell. Remove this if it is inappropriate. It has been a really fun ride.
    Last edited by wallydog; 06-21-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: size

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Has anyone fitted a 36t chain ring to the standard crank? Is there sufficient clearance?

Sent using Tapatalk

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Lodasa clearance for a 32 Boost on a Hope crank and reckon it could easily manage a 34.

Last pic of it. Really glad I did it now. It is a toss up between this and my 98 Zaskar LE for my best hardtail so far
    edithotobucket
    Last edited by BertRoot; 10-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Soy Chingon
    I ordered my 27.5 Chameleon right after it was announced and I'm still waiting on it. It's been two months since original delivery day...
    Soy Chingon

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can someone tell me what size the seat clamp is on the new Chameleon??

TIA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    They really need to offer a different color on this bike. I'd go buy one tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Get out and go ride.

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    Seatclamp is a 36.4mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bumping up the topic of whether 2.6 Nobby Nics will fit on wide 30-40mm 29" rims: Anyone know if this works? What does the clearance measure out to in back? @middle america, did you try this tire in the frame like you said you might do earlier in this thread? Thanks!
    Last edited by Wines of WA; 06-30-2017 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looking to build up a chameleon to run both 29 and 27+ depending on conditions. I was hoping will be possible to run the new 2018 fox 34 forks 29 boost, but not sure what the tyre clearance will be like with a 27x3. Should I connsider the 27+ specific fork instead?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Still riding my Chameleon as my new bike has not come in yet. Going to be hard to see this bike go. Every ride ends with a smile.
    I felt the same about the color until I got it. It grows on you. I really like the color now. I took the pink Fox decals of the fork because it was just too much pink. Sorry BertRoot. I thought about changing the downtube pink logo to orange but like I said it ends up being pretty nice eye candy and I do get many compliments on the bike on the trail.
    As far as clearance for a 29 X 3 tire I do not see an issue. Santa Cruz designed this bike nicely. Lots of clearance and no calf or foot strikes on the frame at all. Very few pedal strikes also. My old Giant Anthem X 29er wacked the pedals way more often. I am running 2.8 Rocket Rons 14 lb. back and 11 front with excellent results. Very smooth ride going down and love how this thing climbs. Nothing like feel of a hard tail lock up standing/mashing those pedals and making it up and over that last steep section. Yeah.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As for color of the frame paint and decals, isn't it possible to buy a decal set from SC and replace the purple with some other color? Or are the decals under a clearcoat?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The factory pink is under a clear coat but you can buy any colored decal to go over that. Around 16 bucks. I thought orange would work for me but I like the pink now that I reduced overall pink by taking the fork decals off. I think Santa Cruz realizes this as they supply the over decals in many colors for all their bikes.

mtbr member
    Just joined the proud owner of a chameleon. Got the D+ kit, threw the fork out and put a pike on her. What a blast! Giving the xfusion manic dropper post a try.

Also going with a 150 pike with a little extra sag. Lots to adjust but what a playful bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I will have mine next weeke. Two month of waiting. R+ build. Can't wait til ride it. My first real mountain bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    thats the bike ive been waiting for. hoping to get mine this summer

Sorry,

which size is that frame? XL? Thank you

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Shameless plug. Just posted my Large frame 2017 Chameleon 27.5 plus top build in mtbr classified. Hardtails and Fat Bikes. Get it now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

It's Arrived

My wait is over received my medium size frame today here in New Zealand and started my build tonight, Got the bottom bracket and XT crankset with a 30T chainring and fork semi set up still need to trim a little bit more off the steer tube. Going for a rigid setup, should be interesting. The frame weighed in at 2.38kg, I did think it would have been a little lighter as my medium Stache 5 frame was 2.1kg with the pressfit BB. but still hoping for a 10.5kg total build weight. A teaser photo of it so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-chameleon-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got 2 SC chameleon's small for the wife and lg for me. Both r1+ but mine has black fork tubes and hers does not. Does anybody know why
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-forks.jpg
    Last edited by Kentucky Kid; 07-10-2017 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    ODD KIWI, post up as you go, Im watching your build closely, bout exactly the setup I want

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Kid View Post
    I got 2 SC chameleon's small for the wife and lg for me. Both r1+ but mine has black fork tubes and hers does not. Does anybody know why
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forks.jpg 
Views:	3092 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	1145896
    Thats kickass, you got the Elite Uppers, maybe Fox ran out of the clear Anodized/Rhythm versions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

It's Arrived Part 2

Well I got a little bit more done last night, Trimmed the steer on Bontrager Bowie fork and mounted up my handlebars with brakes and shifter. I still use a narrow bar 580mm wide with bar ends but will need to get a shorter stem thinking 70 to 80mm long, Does any one know how what length stem is spec on the medium size bike ? Hope to do the wheels tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-chameleon-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Large frame came with a 50mm x 6 degree rise. Looking at your picture the seat tube angle is slack so you may need a zero off-set seat post to get forward enough. Factory specs a zero off-set seatpost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
    Large frame came with a 50mm x 6 degree rise. Looking at your picture the seat tube angle is slack so you may need a zero off-set seat post to get forward enough. Factory specs a zero off-set seatpost.
    Thanks for your reply about the stem length, I decided to go with a 70mm stem, Hopefully it will be the right length. I'm 5'8" with longish limbs and prefer to ride smaller
    frames. I like to feel I'm over the bike rather in the bike, old XC rider habits die hard. I have been riding a 17.5" rigid Stache 5 and was setup the same way, but with a 40mm longer top tube on the Chameleon I hoping the 30mm short stem will be right. Climbing is my thing that's why I still use bar ends on a narrow bar, hopefully the stem will arrive by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

It's Arrived Part 3 The Wheels

The build continues,
    I'm using American Classic Smokin' Guns wheelset 40mm internal width. Went with Rocket Ron's 3.0 lite skin with 180mm front and 160mm rear Ice Tech rotors
    They went tubeless very easily use some sealant to lube the bead and use my Topeak fatbike floor pump with the presta value removed, They pop on to the rims bead very easily and added 80mls of Stan's through the valve stem, lubed the presta value, Did the shaky thing and haven't lost any air since I had put the tyres on a few days ago.
    Weight wise the wheels come in at 830gm Front and 930 Rear with valve and tape. All up with tyres and rotors the front is 1.8kg and rear 1.86 so 3.66kg for the full wheelset. I'll be using 11-42 Xt cassette

The other thing I like to do with my frames is to run a bead of clear neutral silicone between the slit in the seat tube clamp area and slide an O ring on the seat post to help stop water and grit getting in. Just put some tapeon the inside of the tube and fill the slot in, see photo
    Might get the wheels on and the brakes lined up tomorrow night and may be the drive train Fingers crossed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-ac-wheelset-3.66kg.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-ac-front-wheel-1.8kg.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-ac-rear-wheel-1.86kg.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-chameleon-seat-tube-sealed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Kiwi View Post
    Thanks for your reply about the stem length, I decided to go with a 70mm stem, Hopefully it will be the right length. I'm 5'8" with longish limbs and prefer to ride smaller
    frames. I like to feel I'm over the bike rather in the bike, old XC rider habits die hard. I have been riding a 17.5" rigid Stache 5 and was setup the same way, but with a 40mm longer top tube on the Chameleon I hoping the 30mm short stem will be right. Climbing is my thing that's why I still use bar ends on a narrow bar, hopefully the stem will arrive by the weekend.
    Looks to me like you should be good with your setup. On my Med. frame I run a Thompson laidback post (to get correct position over crank) and the stock 50mm stem w/750mm wide bar (I'm also 5'8"). Longer stem you used should compensate for your preferred narrower bars to give similar riding pos.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I am so close to ordering mine, but holding for the 2018, should be any day now I hope right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    I am so close to ordering mine, but holding for the 2018, should be any day now I hope right?
    Is there something different about the 2018?

mtbr member
    I guess the new build kits are out? Does that make it 2018 now on their site? Santa Cruz said the new build kits are already out???

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    I guess the new build kits are out? Does that make it 2018 now on their site? Santa Cruz said the new build kits are already out???
    Wow, you're right. They seem to have already updated the builds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

It's Arrived Part 4 Nearly Finished

Nearly Finished, got the cassette and derailleur all shifting smoothly, Brake and gear cable tied in place, But still need to finish and line up the brake calipers. I just temperately setup for a quick ride around the yard. I ordered a 70mm stem but think I might have to go with a 80mm instead just a feeling thou.
    A couple of night shots not the best photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-chameleon-3.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-chameleon-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Kid View Post
    Could you please post a few photos of the small? The profile view would be great. I'm interested in that size for myself. How does your wife feel about the top-tube length? Do you have the 2017 or 2018 models?

mtbr member
    Niceeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    I ride a medium 5010 V1 and had problems with the TT with a 50 mm stem and 760 mm HB. I had difficulty leaning back on steed trails... so when I ordered this new Chamelion, opted a small... I'm 5'5, stocky built and in my height it was in the middle of a S and a M, since on paper it said it had longer TT than my medium 5010, i just went on the small frame, hopefully I made the right choice =)
    How do you like the small? I'm your height, but with short legs, so I'm looking hard at the size M.

mtbr member
    wife is 5'6" and absolutely loves her small.Still playing with tire pressure for her, 14 rear and 12 for front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Finally got everything modified for sharing purposes

Size is large D+ kit
    Modifications:
    Rockshox pike boost 27+ set at 140 mm
    Vorsprung luftkappe
    SRAM guide R
    Raceface Next carbon bars
    ESI chunky grip