Moderator Moderator

Santa Cruz Carbon Chameleon

This is interesting......thoughts?

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice bike i'm sure, I just wish they would have gone with a steeper seat tube and a slacker head tube along with a tad longer reach.

SS Pusher Man
    I'm glad they finally have a carbon frame with SS dropouts.....too bad it took them 6 years to do it.

It means I can build a SS down around 22 lbs.....win/win.

I like it.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Looks like they're offering al frames with a better spec too.
    Do the math.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Looks like they're offering al frames with a better spec too.
    The "S" kit was added for 2019 when they updated the colors.

Ebikes are not bicycles

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinarybikes View Post
    Nice bike i'm sure, I just wish they would have gone with a steeper seat tube and a slacker head tube along with a tad longer reach.
    The seat tube will get steeper when you sit on the bike and sag the fork, but so will the headtube angle.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    The seat tube will get steeper when you sit on the bike and sag the fork, but so will the headtube angle.
    Forks don't sag when you're climbing so it's a bit slack and short for me, but a beautiful bike.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Forks don't sag when you're climbing so it's a bit slack and short for me, but a beautiful bike.
    Run it as a SS and it won't matter since you won't be sitting anyway.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The ibis hardtail is a grand retail why us this 1700? Maybe the Pon overhead? Seems pretty pricey

Rider
    Jan 2019
    I've never had any interest in a carbon framed bike. Until I watched their video. Now I kinda do.

Also, my daughter is going to take me shopping for make-up.

LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    The ibis hardtail is a grand retail why us this 1700? Maybe the Pon overhead? Seems pretty pricey
    Not saying it's good or bad, but $1000 is definitetly on the low end for a carbon hardtail, $1700 is more in line with other name brand carbon frames.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone know how much this frames weighs ? Curious about the savings from the alloy model

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Looks nice but damn 3800 for a hard tail?

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    Looks nice but damn 3800 for a hard tail?
    This! Everything about the bike is awesome but for that price I would personally get an aluminum stumpjumper or other nice aluminum trailbike instead. The advantage of this bike is it is light, but I have always thought that the loss of a rear shock would likely make the bike slower through any rough trail than the benefit of that reduced weight provides.

Of course I have never taken a hardtail on a real MTB trail so I might totally be missing out here, so this is just my opinion. Again this bike is pretty awesome, I personally just wouldn't get it over another bike unless I was riding some pretty smooth trails.

Edit: I do think the aluminum chameleon is a pretty awesome bike at a decent price though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Agreed. The Santa Cruz is sweet and has the option for single-speed, but other than that is very similar to the Ibis. The Ibis entry level NX build is $2200 versus entry level GX build for the Chameleon at $3,800. Is SS option and GX worth $1600 more? Ibis seems a better value for the money unless you have to have SS option

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    Agreed. The Santa Cruz is sweet and has the option for single-speed, but other than that is very similar to the Ibis. The Ibis entry level NX build is $2200 versus entry level GX build for the Chameleon at $3,800. Is SS option and GX worth $1600 more? Ibis seems a better value for the money unless you have to have SS option
    While I agree the carbon Chameleon is pricey for a HT, the Ibis DV-9 is a completely different bike in regards to geometry. The Ibis has a way shorter top tube across all sizes and longer chain stays. Completely different ride characteristics, etc.

mtbr member
    A sharp eye can spot a juicy hint at something new in the release video.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Bandito View Post
    Come on mang, don't tease us like that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'll bite, is it what's on the syndicate van/truck pulling in at the beginning?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    My god, you are high...not comparable bikes
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes different for sure..I think ibis cut their margins a bit to offer an affordable race bike. SC has to pay for Pons overhead. That's most likey the 700 difference. Two different bikes with different corporate motives. Pretty strait forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    I'll bite, is it what's on the syndicate van/truck pulling in at the beginning?
    Looks like the Nomad V4 to me, but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Just for comparison...

Santa Cruz Carbon Chameleon $1599
    Santa Cruz Highball $1899
    Ibis DV9 $999
    Orbea Alma $2899
    Niner Air 9 RDO $2000
    Pivot Les $2099
    Rocky Mountain Vertex $1849
    Specialized S-Works Epic $2500
    Trek Procaliber $1729
    Trek Procaliber SL $2499
    Trek Stache $1579

The Les and Stache are probably the only bikes that compare to the Chameleon on the above list, it seems like the Carbon Chameleon is on the lower end of the pricing curve as far as carbon hardtails go.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For a hardtail I still prefer the ride of steel (or titanium). I have a nice carbon Tallboy as my main trailbike, but I also ride an old steel singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    For a hardtail I still prefer the ride of steel (or titanium). I have a nice carbon Tallboy as my main trailbike, but I also ride an old steel singlespeed.
    Which brings up the question of whether they built in compliance by design, like they did with the Highball...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Trek Stache $1579

The Les and Stache are probably the only bikes that compare to the Chameleon on the above list, it seems like the Carbon Chameleon is on the lower end of the pricing curve as far as carbon hardtails go.
    I'm seeing $1,729 for the Stache. Either way, the DV9 is clearly the outlier in the group (not including the Big Brands that seemingly have to charge more for their MTB hardtails so that the price of their road frames looks slightly less exorbitant).
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I see that AUD RRP prices are now up for the carbon chameleon builds.

As much as I love the Santa Cruz brand and their products, I think they are fully taking the proverbial (or someone has made a typo) by asking AUD$9499 for a hardtail C frame, performance forks, Guide R brakes and a GX group!

With the carbon frame only price of $2399 plus $2899 for the reserves (a shop I deal with does reserves built with Pro4's for $2500), I think it will be easy to bring a build in well below SC's figure with higher spec components. I don't see too many completes selling...

SendIt
    Quote Originally Posted by rwo View Post
    I see that AUD RRP prices are now up for the carbon chameleon builds.

As much as I love the Santa Cruz brand and their products, I think they are fully taking the proverbial (or someone has made a typo) by asking AUD$9499 for a hardtail C frame, performance forks, Guide R brakes and a GX group!

With the carbon frame only price of $2399 plus $2899 for the reserves (a shop I deal with does reserves built with Pro4's for $2500), I think it will be easy to bring a build in well below SC's figure with higher spec components. I don't see too many completes selling...
    Has to be a typo. I dont see a complete Chameleon being $9499 AUD if the frame only is $2399 AUD. Doesnt make sense, i could be wrong though. But my guess is, its a typo...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I know most of us are interested in this thing to get sendy, but here's a different perspective. Man I want one!

http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/san...leon-c-review/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Bandito View Post
    Forgot my glasses, what's the juicy hint?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I saw the chameleon c announcement when I was ordering an aluminum chameleon 29R earlier this week. I was tempted by the carbon 29S build, but decided to stick with aluminum for now.

Nice to know thereís a lighter carbon frame available if I want it in the future. Think I read somewhere that the C frame weighs about a pound less, but not sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I still can't understand why they don't put two bottle holders in the triangle. You may as well buy a dually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wollongongdave View Post
    I still can't understand why they don't put two bottle holders in the triangle....
    Especially if they are trying to market it a bit toward the bikepacking crowd, which the triple boss under the down tube would suggest they are!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SS Pusher Man
    Toptube slopes down too much. A large bottle wouldnít fit on the seat tube anyway.

Also, I think with the short seattube, the cage bosses would interfere with the dropper post.

It was definitely something that raised a red flag for me when I broke my Highball and got the Chameleon Al as replacement. I refuse to use the under DT cage.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Santa Cruz released a fun video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QHMT8tXdjg

Quite Punny......

Props to Boy George and the 80's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Toptube slopes down too much. A large bottle wouldnít fit on the seat tube anyway.

Also, I think with the short seattube, the cage bosses would interfere with the dropper post.

It was definitely something that raised a red flag for me when I broke my Highball and got the Chameleon Al as replacement. I refuse to use the under DT cage.
    Maybe on a small frame the dropper may be an issue, but there would be ample room on other sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wollongongdave View Post
    Maybe on a small frame the dropper may be an issue, but there would be ample room on other sizes.
    I think that bend at the bottom of the seat tube (there to keep the chainstays so short, presumably) might be the issue.

Would be hard to have two bottle bolts in plane with each other and not be too low (to fit a bottle between the down tube and seat tube) or too high (interfere with a dropper post/have the bottle hit the top tube).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    I think that bend at the bottom of the seat tube (there to keep the chainstays so short, presumably) might be the issue.

Would be hard to have two bottle bolts in plane with each other and not be too low (to fit a bottle between the down tube and seat tube) or too high (interfere with a dropper post/have the bottle hit the top tube).
    Sure I mean those guys are way smarter than me - I would agree with you and others there is probably some engineering reason here. With the triple boss on bottom they obviously didn't mind the machining costs for some more bolts, but opted for under downtube vs. seat tube. I'll bet it was engineering not marketing there, but alas....

Ok so next question how do I sneak one of these into my household 2019 budget? LOL. Starting to stack the pennies that is for sure.....get some build pics posted when you guys can!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Sure I mean those guys are way smarter than me - I would agree with you and others there is probably some engineering reason here. With the triple boss on bottom they obviously didn't mind the machining costs for some more bolts, but opted for under downtube vs. seat tube. I'll bet it was engineering not marketing there, but alas....

Ok so next question how do I sneak one of these into my household 2019 budget? LOL. Starting to stack the pennies that is for sure.....get some build pics posted when you guys can!!
    My understanding is that the 3 bolts on the underside of the downtube are for mounting bikepacking racks like a King Many Things Cage, so you can run a full size frame bag in the front triangle.

mtbr member

Just built one.

Had the aluminum version and loved it as a Plus..not so much as a 29.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Carbon Chameleon-img_3470.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Any ride reports? Thx...

mtbr member

Ride report

Quote Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
    Any ride reports? Thx...
    I have extensive time on the aluminum version and now i have 3 rides on this carbon version. I prefer it as a 27.5" plus bike. The 29 is too harsh for me. Im still sorting the carbon one out as I am running it plus but just noticed i have the 29" dropout chips in the rear. Im running the fork at 140mm. The front wanders a tad but is awesome on the DH. I am hoping that changing the chips to plus will bring the rear up slightly and change the climbing characteristic a tad. If it doesn't change much I will lower the fork to 130mm.
    I don't remember ever having to change the chips in the rear on the aluminum. I ran it in both modes without changing the dropout chip and the fork at 140mm like this bike.
    More after I get the correct dropout......

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rgeniec View Post
    I have extensive time on the aluminum version and now i have 3 rides on this carbon version. I prefer it as a 27.5" plus bike. The 29 is too harsh for me. Im still sorting the carbon one out as I am running it plus but just noticed i have the 29" dropout chips in the rear. Im running the fork at 140mm. The front wanders a tad but is awesome on the DH. I am hoping that changing the chips to plus will bring the rear up slightly and change the climbing characteristic a tad. If it doesn't change much I will lower the fork to 130mm.
    I don't remember ever having to change the chips in the rear on the aluminum. I ran it in both modes without changing the dropout chip and the fork at 140mm like this bike.
    More after I get the correct dropout......
    Thank you!