Ripley LS or 5010 v2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Ripley LS or 5010 v2

Cross posting on sc and south east forums for advice. Hoping there's enough real world experience on both as I don't have demo available for Ripley

Been on 29ers for the past 4-5 years. Currently have one do it all bike, carbon highball v2 size large with a Pike @120. Ride in Georgia, NC and TN and I really enjoy climbing and going as fast as I can everywhere. The HB is a great bike and am looking to add a FS to smooth out the descents a bit (need justification for a 2nd bike &#128527

Never ridden DW, my Local shop which r dear friends is my SC dealer and they treat me right. To the point that if i go Ripley i'll take it to them to kit out and build. Gotta say, I've wanted a Ripley since they started teasing V1

There's a new review on here from Dillon Caldwell for the 5010 that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. A bike that's a 60/40 bias favoring xc but that can handle chunky trails better than my beefy Hard tail which is an Awesome bike

Super rambling but am bottom line looking for perspective from folks that have ridden both beyond parking lot tests. Don't think I could go wrong with either and my shop just got their med. 5010 v2 demo in but any real world experience comparing the 2 is greatly appreciated. Thanks if u made it all the way through 👍

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This would be easier if you decided on wheel size first.

mtbr member
    Are you short? If not, why go 27.5 over 29 for this application? If it were a Bronson, I 'd get it, but it is clear 29ers are here to stay so you can pick a larger wheel without worrying about parts down the road. For XC bias, the jury is back and 29ers are it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you like to climb and higher trail speeds then the Ripley would win. If you like cornering and quickness and a more playfull bike then the 5010 is clearly the winner. They are two diff. Bikes IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    on the short side of average, I'm 5' 8, i tell myself 5.85" :-) sounds better
    I do love how the 29er rolls, I have zero qualms about the handling traits. I haven't been on a smaller wheel size since a intense spider about 5-6 years ago. I moved from an old high ball size med. to a the new version in size large. Running a shorter stem and wider bars and the longer reach of the new frame has made it very easy to ride over the front wheel and really weighing it to get around corners. This has got me thinking about the playful carving nature of the 5010. I was hoping some folks from the SE would have already ridden both and have similar backgrounds. pretty sure I'll find a way to demo them, whether heading to the Hub in Brevard or planning a trip out to cali. I'll post up once I get some miles on both and see if I can help any guys my height in the SE pick up what I would hope is the finest trail bike available in 2016

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd vote for the 5010, but one nice aspect of the ripely would be that you could swap wheels between your two bikes if necessary. I'm hoping SC comes out with a Tallboy TRc (110-120 travel in back, little shorter CS, little longer reach, little slacker HA). If/when that happens it'll probably run boost and you'll lose the wheel set compatibility you'd have with the ripley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I used to live in Chatt town for a few years and rode a Diamondback Overdrive Comp hardtail and a Tallboy C 120mm. I got the SC from Eastridge bikes. I now ride a Tallboy LTc 140mm front Pike. Like some have said, you are talking about 2 different bikes. For Tenn area trails you can't go wrong with a Ripley or a 5010. Some say the agility thing is a push if you are a good rider with the exception of take off speed. The issue is what wheel size do you want?

I recently purchased a close out LTc from Competive Cy because I don't live in Tenn any longer, boo... Miss it! Anyways, I had the opportunity to get the Ripley as well because they carry the Ripley too. HEre is why I chose the Tallboy LTc, it may be a small thing but for me I really like VPP suspension and second, I HATE PFBB! As far as I know, Ripley will come out with thread in BB's till the new year, at least that was what I was told. PFBB will give you trouble guaranteed, they will begin creaking and cracking and I hate all that crap.

Had a Jet 9 RDO and was sick of that noise, LATER! But that is me, it may not be a big deal for you. I have no experience on the Ripley and would've gone with it if it did not have the PFBB. I love the LTc and I'm glad I made the choice.

Do this, call around, probably more in the Carolinas, you may find a Ibis dealer and see who has one you can demo. At least get on one and see how it feels and ride it if you can. All the reviews are nice but you got to love it. Do the same with the 5010. It's worth driving a few hours if you have to man, its your money and you want to be happy with it.

Make sure you ask them about the threaded bb, you don't want the PFBB. Ask them about the boost hub as well. IF you want that, I think they may be shipping those in Jan as well. Allegedly the new Tallboy LTc 29er is coming in a couple of months as well. Something to think about, but no concrete date.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, I've been holding out for a TB TRc for a loooong time. had the original TBc and liked it. That would immediately bring it to the mix.

Being able to move the Enve HV's over to the Ripley would be a huge benefit, but how cool would it be if a TB TRc with boost could also handle 27.5+? I'm not getting rid of the High Ball so the Enve's will always have a home

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Love Chatta. I'm lucky enough to have it in my work geo and hit up Raccoon. Not sure when the last time you made it back there but they've built a ton of top notch trail in the area.

Hear ya' on PFBB. The new Ripley is PFBB no more all new frames take threaded

Hope you're loving your LTc, sweet bike and great fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    back on topic though. I totally get the 27.5 vs. 29 handling preference thing. But one thing that is consistently said is that the Ripley rides like a 27.5. On paper the LS and 5010 v2 seem like very, very similar tools for the job no?

Really looking forward to a trip to Brevard. The Hub has 5010's bronson's followings and Ripleys, that would be super fun to plan a 3 day trip and demo different bikes each day

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -It's only a couple of months, I'd wait to see what the new TBLTc looks like.

I have a feeling it's going to be exactly what people have been asking for.........