Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher

I bought my 2011 white SC Butcher (size large) last April. Two weeks ago, I was cleaning it and noticed the bottom of the crank case had a bunch of cracks in the paint (not from impact as no scratches). Nothing you can get your finger into, but there are a lot of them...looks like a spider web or a custom crackled finish, which it's not. It's the factory white. I started looking around and noticed it's also on the top of the crankcase, around all the welds, the seat tube and basically on every other tube on the bike...not covering the bike, but a good portion. I wouldn't expect the paint to do this. I'm concerned the paint will eventually start chipping as the cracks get worse and will cover more of the bike. I'm bringing into my LBS this week. Anyone have this issue or ever heard of something like this? If so, any information on how SC handled it?
    Last edited by rmichaels55; 01-11-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: To correct Info

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by rmichaels55 View Post
    I'm bringing into my LBS this week.
    Good call.

I am confident that SC will take care of you.

mtbr member
    so the paint is cracking underneath the clearcoat? no idea what SC would do. havent heard of this happening.

i would imagine that unless its really bad, SC wouldnt do much. id be pretty annoyed if that happened to my bike so i certainly feel your pain.

post a pic. id like to see if you can portray it in a closeup pic

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just broke down and decided to call SC. I spoke to a tech and he said it sounds like the paint didn't cure properly. He asked me for pics, but based on my description he sounded fairly confident of the issue. I will bring it to my LBS this week to re-confirm. He said if that's the issue, it would need to be sent back to them, they would strip it and re-paint it. Bad news, it sounds like SC messed up and I assume that means there's more out there. Good news, it sounds like I'm getting a fresh paint job.

Anyone else have this issue?

boxcar
    I bought my 2010 white SC Butcher (size large) last April. Two weeks ago, I was cleaning it and noticed the bottom of the crank case had a bunch of cracks in the paint (not from impact as no scratches). Nothing you can get your finger into, but there are a lot of them...looks like a spider web or a custom crackled finish, which it's not. It's the factory white. I started looking around and noticed it's also on the top of the crankcase, around all the welds, the seat tube and basically on every other tube on the bike...not covering the bike, but a good portion. I wouldn't expect the paint to do this. I'm concerned the paint will eventually start chipping as the cracks get worse and will cover more of the bike. I'm bringing into my LBS this week. Anyone have this issue or ever heard of something like this? If so, any information on how SC handled it?
    I built up two Butchers this past Fall. I installed the HS upper cup on the first one and as I was looking to see if the cup was flush with the HT noticed dozens and dozens of "spiderweb, small cracks" in the paint. I thought it happened as I installed the HS and looked at the other brand new Butcher frame and noticed the same "cracks" on that one. Carefully installed the HS, was pretty sure the paint was gonna flake, but it did not and while the cracks are still there, that's just it, aesthetic with no progression of the "damage" from then till now. I never contacted SCB. Please post up what you find with them as I am curious on how they treat it. FWIW I did view it as a bummer, but ultimately a non-issue, so again will be interested in what SC says.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    See pics...is this what yours look like? Not the clearest, but you get the idea...they're everywhere. I'm bringing to LBS on Thursday so I will let you know where this goes. The way I look at it, just aesthetics or not, it was painted for a reason...to look good. If the paint gets ruined, I want it to be from something I did...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher-2012-01-10_19-16-44_943.jpg  

Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher-2012-01-10_19-21-04_241.jpg  

Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher-2012-01-10_19-17-18_24.jpg  

Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher-2012-01-10_19-16-30_45.jpg  

boxcar
    Whoa. Wow. That is exactly what our paint looks like but in a MUCH more minimal area, near the (mostly) top and less on the bottom of the head tube. Like you said, they are EVERYWHERE on your frame. I agree dude, only aesthetic or not, I would want that addressed.
    Good luck, keep us apprised and thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    yea that would kind of annoy me. hopefully SC takes good care of ya although your bike might be out of commission for a month or so...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It seems like winter might finally be arriving in the Northeast, so probably the best time I can think of to be without. Although my luck it'll be 55 degrees for the next month. Definitely don't want to go through this in May...

Tmh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    I built up two Butchers this past Fall. I installed the HS upper cup on the first one and as I was looking to see if the cup was flush with the HT noticed dozens and dozens of "spiderweb, small cracks" in the paint. I thought it happened as I installed the HS and looked at the other brand new Butcher frame and noticed the same "cracks" on that one. Carefully installed the HS, was pretty sure the paint was gonna flake, but it did not and while the cracks are still there, that's just it, aesthetic with no progression of the "damage" from then till now. I never contacted SCB. Please post up what you find with them as I am curious on how they treat it. FWIW I did view it as a bummer, but ultimately a non-issue, so again will be interested in what SC says.
    Same thing and same place on my white Butcher. They are really small paint cracks and I didn't even notice earlier but one time when I was cleaning the bike and used additional light I saw these. I tought it was because headset installation but seems like there has been some quality issues on the painting process.

Nickel Havr
    Wow... I'm gonna go check my black Nickel now!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quick update: Santa Cruz has confirmed its an issue with the way the paint cured and they will repaint the frame under warranty.

boxcar
    Quick update: Santa Cruz has confirmed its an issue with the way the paint cured and they will repaint the frame under warranty.
    Rad! stok'd for ya. thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Update: She's back...and black? Ha yes, they gave me option to change colors and I said..."s*%# why not"! They only thing I had to pay for was one way shipping to SCB. First ride on her in about T- 3 ..can't wait to get back out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Cracks on Santa Cruz Butcher-2012-02-18_08-16-58_563.jpg  

mtbr member extraordinair
    Wicked Cool, man. Congrats. The black looks sharp!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

powder coat

Michaels55,
    Most bike companies do not do their powder coating process correct , what other people were saying was correct as far as the powder coat cure time . I have powder coated many frames over the years and big companies are trying to push out products as fast as possible . A normal bake time on powder is around 20 minutes at 375-400 degrees depending on the powder company and the material thickness. The BB area is a machined out area just like the HT and a few other parts of frames so the bake \ cure time need to almost double to cure and adhere properly to the material in those areas . SC is an amazing company and glad you got it all cleared up .

enjoy the ride !!
    Scab

I like bikes
    Black looks sick!!! Very nice.

boxcar
    congrats rmichaels55! stoked it got sorted. looks great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. Definitely a testament to SCB standing behind their bikes.

Butcher
    Damn. Thanks for the head's up. Just found this thread and had to go check my white Butcher. The rear triangle is littered with these spiderweb paint cracks. Can't really tell on the front yet, but will check again with better lighting tomorrow.

Couldn't hurt to send it back and have them redo it. to the OP... how long did it take for you to get the frame back?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I have this happening around the mech hanger on my Nickel's rear triangle but it's barely noticeable. Although I've let SC know about it, I'm undecided about whether or not to send it back yet...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Found it on my Butcher tonight. Seat tube/Top Tube have it all over and thats all Ive checked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Same thing happened on my Gloss Raw Tallboy pretty quickly. Willie handled it super quick, only about 2.5 weeks between sending out and coming back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Probably a stupid question, was the bike kept inside? I bought a white Butcher frame in June 2010, and I'm not seeing any paint cracking on my frame anywhere. I keep my bike inside at all times, except when I'm riding it. I live in the high desert where it gets up to 112 degrees or more in the summer, and I can see the sun damaging the powder-coat, if left outside pretty quick. I wonder how many white frames SC made?

mtbr member

Paint crack on Sc Nomad

A case similar to an Italian customer was denied warranty by Santacruz because the bike had more than one year. The frame is guaranteed for 2 years and the paint only one ..... The Italian distributor has offered 100 euro (133 usd) for repainting but the total cost( in italy..) including disassembly, reassembly of the bike and the new adhesive is at least twice.......

I wreck alot
    Was this bike painted or powder coated originally? I've read the term 'painted' and 'power coated' in this thread. I just stripped a SC Chameleon and the powder coat was the toughest I've ever had to strip (and Ive stripped a ton of auto parts that were PC).

Bike looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've had my white Butcher since July of 2010. I just passed the 5,000 mile mark a month ago. The little bit of paint cracking or maybe it's the clear coat cracking, doesn't bother me. My bike is ridden daily on desert trail or desert roads only, it's an amazing bike. Pivots, bolt and bearings are all good. My bike will outlive me probably.