Nomad V5 rumors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nomad V5 rumors?

Based on Santa Cruz's lineup and timing of what has been redesigned and when, we should be seeing a new Nomad this year. Heard anything on the rumor mill? I am assuming "it" is at the Andes Pacifico, but havent seen any spy shots on Instagram yet.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Wondering same thing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I was wondering the same thing. The bike if according to SC schedule of every 3 years should be out this year, just strange that there is absolutely nothing out there regarding the Nomad V5. I imagine rear triangle will be new, steeper seat tube angle and perhaps slacker .5 or 1 degree HT angle. Travel wise probable 180 in the front, i hope not 170 is like a sweet spot for me but who knows, but options are always good. If the bike was out on the Andes pacifico is so hard to tell apart a bronson from a Nomad on a quit glance specially if the rear triangle are the same, but if it is alive it was there most likely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Maybe no new Nomad, because they needed the developing resources for the emtb Heckler?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That will suck .... but you do have a point.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fedfox View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. The bike if according to SC schedule of every 3 years should be out this year, just strange that there is absolutely nothing out there regarding the Nomad V5. I imagine rear triangle will be new, steeper seat tube angle and perhaps slacker .5 or 1 degree HT angle. Travel wise probable 180 in the front, i hope not 170 is like a sweet spot for me but who knows, but options are always good. If the bike was out on the Andes pacifico is so hard to tell apart a bronson from a Nomad on a quit glance specially if the rear triangle are the same, but if it is alive it was there most likely.
    These changes would be awesome! I'm a big fan of the steeper ST on newer bikes, need all the help I can get!

mtbr member
    Nomad-E version!

mtbr member
    Here’s when things got announced for full-suspension trail bikes going back as far as the first Bronson in 2013. This is just new models, not the color and build kit updates:

You can see the three year cycle in the list. From that the Nomad looks kind of lonely all by itself as up for this year, but there's also the Heckler e-bike that just came out for 2020 (that I'm not tracking).
    2019: Hightower, Megatower, and Tallboy.
    2018: Bronson, 5010, and Blur
    2017: Nomad (and the now-dead HTLT)
    2016: Hightower and Tallboy
    2015: Bronson and 5010
    2014: Nomad
    2013: 5010, Bronson, Tallboy

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    havent seen any spy shots
    I'm not sure you will around the EWS or Trans-* circuits. While the Nomad v3 was promoted as an "enduro race bike", that slot seems to be well-occupied by the Megatower (and also the Hightower) these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by toubr View Post
    Maybe no new Nomad, because they needed the developing resources for the emtb Heckler?
    When you look at a planned release of the Heckler in the Spring, expect another release in the summer. The timing is better to not constrain production at the factory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One has to ask will the Nomad just fade away. Will SC keep with the 27.5 line up? How many brands are introducing new or updating 27.5 bikes?

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It would be a bold move, but the Nomad could become a mullet. I have heard Roskopp praising the pros of mixed wheels so who knows. Either way probably 180mm F/R and 64 HA or sub 64.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeti sb165 and 140. Transition with the new scout last week. Don't get me wrong, I agree that 29ers are very trendy right now as that's what feeds from racing. But there is still a lot of people who want 27.5 bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jvo View Post
    It would be a bold move, but the Nomad could become a mullet. I have heard Roskopp praising the pros of mixed wheels so who knows. Either way probably 180mm F/R and 64 HA or sub 64.
    I wouldn’t be against a mullet, they sound really interesting but I don’t think they’ll have one this soon. SC tends to R&D stuff for a while before just releasing latest trends. So I imagine they’ll be prototyping mullets for a while but we won’t see one from them this year.

mtbr member
    I think the SB165 is a good reference point of what a new Nomad would be. I personally think they will keep the Nomad going, but could be wrong ... its such an iconic name for SC it would be a shame to see it fade away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    One has to ask will the Nomad just fade away. Will SC keep with the 27.5 line up?
    IMO the 5010 is more likely to disappear than the Nomad. Lots of people still like the smaller wheels and big travel for park riding, where as the advantages of smaller wheels on a short travel bike appeal to a smaller section of the market. TBH I'm surprised they haven't already gone to a two bike 27.5 line-up like the SB165 and 140, or Patrol and Scout. All just speculation, would be interested to know what the sales figures suggest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    IMO the 5010 is more likely to disappear than the Nomad. Lots of people still like the smaller wheels and big travel for park riding, where as the advantages of smaller wheels on a short travel bike appeal to a smaller section of the market. TBH I'm surprised they haven't already gone to a two bike 27.5 line-up like the SB165 and 140, or Patrol and Scout. All just speculation, would be interested to know what the sales figures suggest.
    There's a lot of regional trends in sales, I have and see tons of 5010s around the NE, way more than I see nomads at the park, but we don't have much grind up, bomb down mountains.
    Since SC has been tweaking the lower link bikes, I would expect at some point revised geo and kinematics on the nomad, will it be this year who knows, I'm sure they will at least change the colors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The reason I bring up "maybe it will just fade away" is that 29er's growing in popularity as they are refined and what could SC do to it where it would'nt be harder to make the choice between it and the Mega. If they do introduce some tweeks make them. 1) dual up-rite rear. 2) 180mm rear to go with the new Fox38. 3) 1 degree steeper seat tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Last season i saw more Nomads (and other 27.5" bikes) at the bike park then any other long travel 29er's...
    I'll be surprised if they discontinued the Nomad, spacial since Yeti released the SB165 not to long ago.

Maybe they'll change it to mullet bike, but i doubt...

And personally, i dont see the point of 29er's except for race bikes, short travel bikes and HT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    SC bikes could use some geometry updates, and this coming from a SC bikes fan. Recently demoed the Bronson and Hightower and they still felt short compared to their competitors.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    While I agree on all the general trends our shop sold a bunch of 5010s last summer and even more of the Juliana version, all with mid-level builds. At least in our area shorter people are drawn to the nimbleness and lighter weight of 27.5 in that category. Maybe it's a price point thing since at that price 29ers are heavy.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    SC bikes could use some geometry updates, and this coming from a SC bikes fan. Recently demoed the Bronson and Hightower and they still felt short compared to their competitors.
    Short in a good or bad way? When I hop on a bike with over 470 reach it feels too long, regardless of the stated size or marketing. My preferred reach has only grown 20mm in the last 10 years. Over that time I've switched from XLs to larges and now have a lot of seatpost showing. If current trends continue I'll run out of seatpost even with a 200mm dropper.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Short in a good or bad way? When I hop on a bike with over 470 reach it feels too long, regardless of the stated size or marketing. My preferred reach has only grown 20mm in the last 10 years. Over that time I've switched from XLs to larges and now have a lot of seatpost showing. If current trends continue I'll run out of seatpost even with a 200mm dropper.
    Short in a bad way. I know that there is a balance that needs to be struck but demoing bike from various brands it just feels like SC is lagging