Nomad V5 rumors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nomad V5 rumors?

Based on Santa Cruz's lineup and timing of what has been redesigned and when, we should be seeing a new Nomad this year. Heard anything on the rumor mill? I am assuming "it" is at the Andes Pacifico, but havent seen any spy shots on Instagram yet.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Wondering same thing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I was wondering the same thing. The bike if according to SC schedule of every 3 years should be out this year, just strange that there is absolutely nothing out there regarding the Nomad V5. I imagine rear triangle will be new, steeper seat tube angle and perhaps slacker .5 or 1 degree HT angle. Travel wise probable 180 in the front, i hope not 170 is like a sweet spot for me but who knows, but options are always good. If the bike was out on the Andes pacifico is so hard to tell apart a bronson from a Nomad on a quit glance specially if the rear triangle are the same, but if it is alive it was there most likely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Maybe no new Nomad, because they needed the developing resources for the emtb Heckler?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That will suck .... but you do have a point.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fedfox View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. The bike if according to SC schedule of every 3 years should be out this year, just strange that there is absolutely nothing out there regarding the Nomad V5. I imagine rear triangle will be new, steeper seat tube angle and perhaps slacker .5 or 1 degree HT angle. Travel wise probable 180 in the front, i hope not 170 is like a sweet spot for me but who knows, but options are always good. If the bike was out on the Andes pacifico is so hard to tell apart a bronson from a Nomad on a quit glance specially if the rear triangle are the same, but if it is alive it was there most likely.
    These changes would be awesome! I'm a big fan of the steeper ST on newer bikes, need all the help I can get!

mtbr member
    Nomad-E version!

mtbr member
    Here’s when things got announced for full-suspension trail bikes going back as far as the first Bronson in 2013. This is just new models, not the color and build kit updates:

You can see the three year cycle in the list. From that the Nomad looks kind of lonely all by itself as up for this year, but there's also the Heckler e-bike that just came out for 2020 (that I'm not tracking).
    2019: Hightower, Megatower, and Tallboy.
    2018: Bronson, 5010, and Blur
    2017: Nomad (and the now-dead HTLT)
    2016: Hightower and Tallboy
    2015: Bronson and 5010
    2014: Nomad
    2013: 5010, Bronson, Tallboy

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    havent seen any spy shots
    I'm not sure you will around the EWS or Trans-* circuits. While the Nomad v3 was promoted as an "enduro race bike", that slot seems to be well-occupied by the Megatower (and also the Hightower) these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by toubr View Post
    Maybe no new Nomad, because they needed the developing resources for the emtb Heckler?
    When you look at a planned release of the Heckler in the Spring, expect another release in the summer. The timing is better to not constrain production at the factory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One has to ask will the Nomad just fade away. Will SC keep with the 27.5 line up? How many brands are introducing new or updating 27.5 bikes?

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It would be a bold move, but the Nomad could become a mullet. I have heard Roskopp praising the pros of mixed wheels so who knows. Either way probably 180mm F/R and 64 HA or sub 64.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeti sb165 and 140. Transition with the new scout last week. Don't get me wrong, I agree that 29ers are very trendy right now as that's what feeds from racing. But there is still a lot of people who want 27.5 bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jvo View Post
    It would be a bold move, but the Nomad could become a mullet. I have heard Roskopp praising the pros of mixed wheels so who knows. Either way probably 180mm F/R and 64 HA or sub 64.
    I wouldn’t be against a mullet, they sound really interesting but I don’t think they’ll have one this soon. SC tends to R&D stuff for a while before just releasing latest trends. So I imagine they’ll be prototyping mullets for a while but we won’t see one from them this year.

mtbr member
    I think the SB165 is a good reference point of what a new Nomad would be. I personally think they will keep the Nomad going, but could be wrong ... its such an iconic name for SC it would be a shame to see it fade away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    One has to ask will the Nomad just fade away. Will SC keep with the 27.5 line up?
    IMO the 5010 is more likely to disappear than the Nomad. Lots of people still like the smaller wheels and big travel for park riding, where as the advantages of smaller wheels on a short travel bike appeal to a smaller section of the market. TBH I'm surprised they haven't already gone to a two bike 27.5 line-up like the SB165 and 140, or Patrol and Scout. All just speculation, would be interested to know what the sales figures suggest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    IMO the 5010 is more likely to disappear than the Nomad. Lots of people still like the smaller wheels and big travel for park riding, where as the advantages of smaller wheels on a short travel bike appeal to a smaller section of the market. TBH I'm surprised they haven't already gone to a two bike 27.5 line-up like the SB165 and 140, or Patrol and Scout. All just speculation, would be interested to know what the sales figures suggest.
    There's a lot of regional trends in sales, I have and see tons of 5010s around the NE, way more than I see nomads at the park, but we don't have much grind up, bomb down mountains.
    Since SC has been tweaking the lower link bikes, I would expect at some point revised geo and kinematics on the nomad, will it be this year who knows, I'm sure they will at least change the colors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The reason I bring up "maybe it will just fade away" is that 29er's growing in popularity as they are refined and what could SC do to it where it would'nt be harder to make the choice between it and the Mega. If they do introduce some tweeks make them. 1) dual up-rite rear. 2) 180mm rear to go with the new Fox38. 3) 1 degree steeper seat tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Last season i saw more Nomads (and other 27.5" bikes) at the bike park then any other long travel 29er's...
    I'll be surprised if they discontinued the Nomad, spacial since Yeti released the SB165 not to long ago.

Maybe they'll change it to mullet bike, but i doubt...

And personally, i dont see the point of 29er's except for race bikes, short travel bikes and HT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    SC bikes could use some geometry updates, and this coming from a SC bikes fan. Recently demoed the Bronson and Hightower and they still felt short compared to their competitors.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    While I agree on all the general trends our shop sold a bunch of 5010s last summer and even more of the Juliana version, all with mid-level builds. At least in our area shorter people are drawn to the nimbleness and lighter weight of 27.5 in that category. Maybe it's a price point thing since at that price 29ers are heavy.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    SC bikes could use some geometry updates, and this coming from a SC bikes fan. Recently demoed the Bronson and Hightower and they still felt short compared to their competitors.
    Short in a good or bad way? When I hop on a bike with over 470 reach it feels too long, regardless of the stated size or marketing. My preferred reach has only grown 20mm in the last 10 years. Over that time I've switched from XLs to larges and now have a lot of seatpost showing. If current trends continue I'll run out of seatpost even with a 200mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Short in a good or bad way? When I hop on a bike with over 470 reach it feels too long, regardless of the stated size or marketing. My preferred reach has only grown 20mm in the last 10 years. Over that time I've switched from XLs to larges and now have a lot of seatpost showing. If current trends continue I'll run out of seatpost even with a 200mm dropper.
    Short in a bad way. I know that there is a balance that needs to be struck but demoing bike from various brands it just feels like SC is lagging

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Still nothing? I'm hoping this one drops in the next couple of weeks. Could be a strong contender for my next bike.

I bet they'll pitch this next iteration as more of a freeride bike like the SB165, Slayer, or Patrol. I think there's still a market for it. Not everybody is looking for a race bike.

My predictions:
    ~64 deg head angle
    ~77 deg seat angle
    adjustable chainstays
    ribbed chainstay protector
    drive-side brace between upper and lower links on rear triangle
    upper link tucked in closer to seat tube
    clearance for 2.6" tire
    retains flip chip, coil compatibility, and shuttle guard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Still nothing?
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire year takes a pause. Are frames of existing bikes even being produced right now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire year takes a pause. Are frames of existing bikes even being produced right now?
    Well if they were already planning to release the bike this spring, then they've presumably already sunk most if not all of the R&D costs at this point. Why not bring the bike to market and try to start getting a little return on your investment even if the market's not quite as hot as you were hoping? There have still been new products coming even just these past couple of weeks including nearly a whole line of updated suspension from Fox and a few new bikes.

mtbr member
    Still nothing? I'm hoping this one drops in the next couple of weeks. Could be a strong contender for my next bike.

I bet they'll pitch this next iteration as more of a freeride bike like the SB165, Slayer, or Patrol. I think there's still a market for it. Not everybody is looking for a race bike.

My predictions:
    ~64 deg head angle
    ~77 deg seat angle
    adjustable chainstays
    ribbed chainstay protector
    drive-side brace between upper and lower links on rear triangle
    upper link tucked in closer to seat tube
    clearance for 2.6" tire
    retains flip chip, coil compatibility, and shuttle guard
    Put a 180 fork on it and fall line seat dropper with a 20mm offset seat clamp

mtbr member
    Well if they were already planning to release the bike this spring, then they've presumably already sunk most if not all of the R&D costs at this point. Why not bring the bike to market and try to start getting a little return on your investment even if the market's not quite as hot as you were hoping? There have still been new products coming even just these past couple of weeks including nearly a whole line of updated suspension from Fox and a few new bikes.
    I suspect this is the approach they will take. Putting a bike release on hold for 6-12 months probably makes things worse. The only thing that will likely be a problem is all the marketing associated with a bike release, including press and dealer events cant be held as they normally do.

shredthögnar
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I think we've hit the plateau with the current geometry for some time atleast. SC being comfortably in the middle with some outliers pushing for imo boring long bikes. With that said I've slammed the seat on my MT and on bigger sizes I can imagine people would love to see tad steeper ST angle.

and another point: if you pref. a longer bike SC has kept their seat tubes pleasantly short so you can upsize quite easily.

mtbr member
    I suspect this is the approach they will take. Putting a bike release on hold for 6-12 months probably makes things worse. The only thing that will likely be a problem is all the marketing associated with a bike release, including press and dealer events cant be held as they normally do.

While the R&D cost has been spent as you mentioned, in another thread people were saying that the Santa Cruz factory is closed due to California shut downs right now. With a warehouse full of Nomad v4s that are sitting on a shelf getting dusty I doubt that they would launch a V5 as soon as they planned in April. Also, cash-strapped dealers are probably not in a position to load up on a bunch of new bikes from anyone.

I would bet that any bike that isn't from a direct brand or getting launched now during "digital Sea Otter" will get delayed until LBS can afford to buy bikes again. Who knows when that will be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bockscar View Post
    While the R&D cost has been spent as you mentioned, in another thread people were saying that the Santa Cruz factory is closed due to California shut downs right now.
    Which thread was that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bockscar View Post
    While the R&D cost has been spent as you mentioned, in another thread people were saying that the Santa Cruz factory is closed due to California shut downs right now. With a warehouse full of Nomad v4s that are sitting on a shelf getting dusty I doubt that they would launch a V5 as soon as they planned in April. Also, cash-strapped dealers are probably not in a position to load up on a bunch of new bikes from anyone.

I would bet that any bike that isn't from a direct brand or getting launched now during "digital Sea Otter" will get delayed until LBS can afford to buy bikes again. Who knows when that will be.
    yup

mtbr member
    Which thread was that?
    I can't speak for bockscar but my bet is the shipping time thread, particularly starting with Modulus' post in there about 4 weeks ago.

You can also check out Santa Cruz' own post from Monday of this week about their work to make PPE for medical workers in the context of COVID-19.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for the links! I read them both, and nothing seems to definitively indicate that the factory or warehouse are shut down at this time. It sounds like they've been backlogged since last year due to circumstances unrelated to the virus, but people are still reporting orders received even as recently as this past week or two.

mtbr member
    Whilst I totally agree with the sentiment, that didn't stop Fox from announcing their revised line up. You can bet that Santa Cruz put a big order in for the 38 on the new Nomad and more generally, have a full refresh of their lineup that has been in play for 12 months, which likely includes new Fox gear that they need to try and move.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Backcountry just discounted Nomad and some other SC offerings. Sign of upcoming release?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Whilst I totally agree with the sentiment, that didn't stop Fox from announcing their revised line up. You can bet that Santa Cruz put a big order in for the 38 on the new Nomad and more generally, have a full refresh of their lineup that has been in play for 12 months, which likely includes new Fox gear that they need to try and move.
    The product cycle for Fox is much shorter than the Santa Cruz product cycle. It has come to be expected Fox will announce their new MTB offering during the week of Sea Otter. Fox is traded on the US Stock Exchange and will be held accountable by mr. market if they were to delay a product launch. Not to say Santa Cruz would delay a launch of a new bike though. There could also be disruption in their supply chain from China.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    As far as I can tell it’s only last years colors that are discounted. The current color ways are still full price

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by a_double View Post
    Backcountry just discounted Nomad and some other SC offerings. Sign of upcoming release?
    Sign of COVID-19.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    I have a 2018 Nomad 4 as well as a 2019 YT Tues 29.

Lap times at the bike park are similar. Tues is more stable over the chunk, Nomad is better in the air.

The Nomad has SC Reserve wheels and a Push Elevensix. Will probably get the Push coil upgrade soon.

I dunno. I just don't see that much more room for improvement. It's already an amazing bike. I don't lust after a Megatower or a Spesh Enduro 29. I think SC would really have to go back to the drawing board to make the Nomad 5 worth the cost of upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post

And personally, i dont see the point of 29er's except for race bikes, short travel bikes and HT.
    I ride bikes for fun.
    I have most fun when I’m going fast.
    For my riding style, I can go fastest on 29ers.
    Therefore, all my bikes and future bikes will be 29ers.
    Any further questions to help clarify?

mtbr member
    I think its a typo, but the article about how to service suspension linkages mentions its using a Nomad 5 linkage in the diagram

https://reviews.mtbr.com/how-to-serv...nsion-linkages

Also looks the same as a 4, so yeah prob a typo.

Wouldn't be adverse to a mullet either. Let's wait and see what, if anything, comes out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I ride bikes for fun.
    I have most fun when I’m going fast.
    For my riding style, I can go fastest on 29ers.
    Therefore, all my bikes and future bikes will be 29ers.
    Any further questions to help clarify?
    No need, its very simple - different people with different needs.

So far SC having 29er and 27.5" wheels for every category. Lets hope they'll keep it like this, and won't destroy their freeride bike.

Enjoy your monster tracks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    I have a 2018 Nomad 4 as well as a 2019 YT Tues 29.

Lap times at the bike park are similar. Tues is more stable over the chunk, Nomad is better in the air.

The Nomad has SC Reserve wheels and a Push Elevensix. Will probably get the Push coil upgrade soon.

I dunno. I just don't see that much more room for improvement. It's already an amazing bike. I don't lust after a Megatower or a Spesh Enduro 29. I think SC would really have to go back to the drawing board to make the Nomad 5 worth the cost of upgrade.
    IMHO, the main problem with the Nomad 4 is the 74 deg seat angle. My current bike has a 75 deg seat angle and quite a bit less travel and even with the saddle slammed all the way forward the seat angle still feels a little too slack on steeper climbs. I'm in the market for a longer travel bike and have been demoing quite a few bikes over the past 6 months or so. I've been finding that ~77 deg seat angles feel much better all around. I don't know that a new Nomad would be ground-breaking enough to entice Nomad 4 owners to upgrade, but I personally would not buy a Nomad 4 right now with so many other great options available that have better climbing geometry (Patrol, SB165, HD5, Megatrail, Rune V3, Tyee, etc.).

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    IMHO, the main problem with the Nomad 4 is the 74 deg seat angle. My current bike has a 75 deg seat angle and quite a bit less travel and even with the saddle slammed all the way forward the seat angle still feels a little too slack on steeper climbs. I'm in the market for a longer travel bike and have been demoing quite a few bikes over the past 6 months or so. I've been finding that ~77 deg seat angles feel much better all around. I don't know that a new Nomad would be ground-breaking enough to entice Nomad 4 owners to upgrade, but I personally would not buy a Nomad 4 right now with so many other great options available that have better climbing geometry (Patrol, SB165, HD5, Megatrail, Rune V3, Tyee, etc.).
    I have a Nomad 4 and come from a Patrol, the Nomad is much better climber! I won´t compare on downhill...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    any news of the new Nomad? awfully hard to get anything on SC lately.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dlxah;14675279]
    clearance for 2.6" tire

V4 already has clearance for 2.6 tires. Close to 1 cm on each side of the chainstay which is a guess without actually measuring.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    IMHO, the main problem with the Nomad 4 is the 74 deg seat angle.
    Yeah, that's the most obvious shortcoming with the current geo. Other than that, I think they should move upper link closer to seatstay to make the frame look better. Lastly I think they should offer a mullet option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I went into the santa cruz shop in Morzine last week and the guy working said back end of this year but wouldn't tell me anything else?

bike rider
    I was recently given some insight into upcoming SC models but there was no mention of the Nomad. I got the impression that it's been forgotten about.

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My sources say The Nomad will be back with a mullet option. Hoping it is true, although the megatower mullet is working great until then. I would suspect as with everything these days - it will be delayed a little bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Per Santacruz the Nomad is long gone, at least for 2021.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo99 View Post
    Did they tell you anything about the megatower? Also do you know if there ordering website is back up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by crossXX View Post
    Did they tell you anything about the megatower? Also do you know if there ordering website is back up?
    Plenty of info on the Megatower thread. No big changes, just colors and kit options including a 38 in the coil version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Plenty of info on the Megatower thread. No big changes, just colors and kit options including a 38 in the coil version.
    Yeah ive read a lot on there but no official or definitive answer, i was just wondering since it seems like you had the inside scoop lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    When i asked my LBS couple weeks ago about it, the guy told me they can't order the v4 anymore and new one should come soon, so I'm hoping you're wrong.

It will be a shame if they won't update the Nomad and take it out from the lineup. Dont know how poplar is it world wide, but most of the SC likes i see are Nomad v4 & V10, and once in a while other models...

mtbr member
    Maybe they'll add a battery

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    Maybe they'll add a battery
    haha

the new SC e-bike has less travel, Heckler lite.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The world would not be the same without a Nomad!

Highly reliable source says new N5 coming in a couple of months.

27.5 front/rear, 170/170 travel, 64/63.7 high/low HTA, 78-79 STA, designed around a 37mm offset fork and size specific chainstays.

These numbers combined with the suspension performance/feel of the current N4 should make for one seriously fast bike I think.

mtbr member
    What is the Nomad's competition these days?

It seems like all the halo, long travel bikes these days have 29 in wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    What is the Nomad's competition these days?

It seems like all the halo, long travel bikes these days have 29 in wheels.
    Transition, Yeti, Norco, specialized, GG, commencal, YT and more still have long travel 27.5 options with modern geo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Transition, Yeti, Norco, specialized, GG, commencal, YT and more still have long travel 27.5 options with modern geo.
    Revel

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Revel
    Yes for sure, I am bummed that outerbike in VT got cancelled, I wanted to demo the Rail, I guess next year their new Orange color is sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I heard a rumor based on a part number for a tire that the next Nomad build kit has shows one of them being a 29er... is the V5 Nomad going Mullet????

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Nope it's not a a reverse mullet and boy it looks nice! Think 27.5 MT with cable ports like a hightower tallboy.

mtbr member
    If you want a mullet nomad... just get a megatower, a 27.5 rear wheel, a 170mm fork (air spring) and run a 230x60 shock and run the bike in high. Ultimate trouble maker, party mode fin

I get knocked down...
    I do agree, they at least will update the frame to internally route the rear brake cable.

The trend to include in-frame storage is hopefully something that stays. IE the current Specialized Enduro.
    2020 SC Nomad C X01 Reserve Wheels
    2021 SC Hightower C S

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Nope it's not a a reverse mullet and boy it looks nice! Think 27.5 MT with cable ports like a hightower tallboy.
    Boy I hope so, then I won’t want it as bad and can stay on my current N4 longer lol. I’m think the next gen is more refinement rather than breaking the mold but who knows. I’m really looking for a true mullet with size specific chain stays as my next SC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Judging by the responses to another newly released SC, people are going to love at least one of the two color options and the variety of builds available. My next bike will probably be a 2021 Megatower or Nomad when I decide to get rid of my 2019 Bronson build.
    Don't like it? Don't buy it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    My bet: 650b, 170mm front and back, updated cable ports and internal routing for the rear brake line, size specific chainstays, top tube link closer to the seat stays, steeper STA.

As much as I'd like on-bike storage, I'm not holding my breath on this one

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    One wheel will be 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Maybe there will be some sort of MX kit available afterwards, but none of the kits show MX as stock options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I am holding my breath and this is becoming my daily landing page, only news I got, it's for next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Told ya that there is no more Nomad. Maybe its gone for good or a redesign with a new name or who knows it may come back another year but there was never a plan for a Nomad this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Not the info I've heard

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    Not the info I've heard
    Then SC is trolling one of us.
    This would be the first time tho...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The page I saw has two new colors and builds listed... maybe it's for another year, but the colors I saw are new, at least one of them is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    It will launch in September.

Shartacular Spectacular
    It will launch in September.
    The Messiah spoketh, and born unto California on this the month of September, the Nomad V5, ever radiant!

Or not...his credibility as a prophet, no less the Messiah is riding on this...
    18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    The Messiah spoketh, and born unto California on this the month of September, the Nomad V5, ever radiant!

Or not...his credibility as a prophet, no less the Messiah is riding on this...
    Having seen it myself I can assure you its launching this month. Done away with the older rear triangle with a brace on the NDS, its now braced on both sides, looks like a MT but 27.5" and with the newer Tallboy/Hightower front headtube cable enters ports.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Having seen it myself I can assure you its launching this month. Done away with the older rear triangle with a brace on the NDS, its now braced on both sides, looks like a MT but 27.5" and with the newer Tallboy/Hightower front headtube cable enters ports.

Nice!

Going to complain then, haha.
    Maybe I misunderstood or maybe they think Im a leaker.
    Im just going to wait till we get all the other models stock for our distributors.

But seriously we didn't order any cause we were told no nomad this year, weird.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Is it me or the Orange and Carbon color I see now on web site is new ? I remember only Black or Aubergine options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Orange Carbon is a 2019 color that was carried over to 2020. I have a 2019 Orange Carbon that I got in July of 2018.

If you look at the pictures, it shows the DHF and DHRII spec from 2019.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Orange Carbon is a 2019 color
    Yup here's mine. About a year and a half old now.

Nomad V5 rumors?-img_0389.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2020
    My mate saw Sam Dale up at Mac forest tonight doing a photo shoot on the new nomad, got very little info to give but it's gonna be dropping soon.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I was hoping bit would be a mullet but he seemed to think it was 27.5, would of been my next bike if it had been a mullet. He only saw it briefly but described it as Kermit green 🐸

Shartacular Spectacular
    Nice!

Going to complain then, haha.
    Maybe I misunderstood or maybe they think Im a leaker.
    Im just going to wait till we get all the other models stock for our distributors.

But seriously we didn't order any cause we were told no nomad this year, weird.

Exposed as a Wahoo untrusted by the SC overlords, all hail the Messiah and the good news he brings, let us bow our heads and ride...
    18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yup here's mine. About a year and a half old now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	1361293
    Looks like a yakima bike rack.
    I lost a bike this way with the rear tire hanging off like yours.

I ended up putting a 2x4 under so the rear tire rests on it. Problem solved

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My Nomad 4 is currently under warranty replacement (had a pretty hard knock on the bottom bracket shell that left a dent and a small crack), and SC said that they had no front triangles left but they would get more stock in September. Not sure if that meant a new color or the Nomad 5. My guess is the latter since it's due this year.

However, given that there was a large fire in Santa Cruz, and that 44 SC staff members have been affected (4 of which have lost their homes), I would imagine that any Nomad updates will be delayed. This fire is big tragedy for everyone affected in Santa Cruz. Here's the GoFundMe page...
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/czu-fire-...-scb-employees

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Kinda shame if Santa Cruz is missing the mullet train with Nomad v5.

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    Kinda shame if Santa Cruz is missing the mullet train with Nomad v5.
    You got that right!!! My next bike will be a purpose built mullet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    My Nomad 4 is currently under warranty replacement (had a pretty hard knock on the bottom bracket shell that left a dent and a small crack), and SC said that they had no front triangles left but they would get more stock in September. Not sure if that meant a new color or the Nomad 5. My guess is the latter since it's due this year.

I cracked my front and snapped the rear triangle on my Nomad 4cc over a year ago. At the time all they could offer me was a mismatched front and rear with the front being just a a standard c. Have been holding out for something better, I wasn't hopping back on another N4 after that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don’t understand the ‘mullet” obsession here... just because a goof ball trend has caught on elsewhere doesn’t mean it needs to infect every bike out there.

The Nomad was never intended to be a straight-up purpose-built race bike, as far as I know... it’s “enduro’ish” for sure, But a 29” front wheel has no place on a Nomad. If you think it does you’re looking at the wrong bike.

I’ve had my finger hovering over the “just buy a V4 button” for months now. I guess I’m gonna have to wait a few more weeks to see what the deal with V5 is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Of course my info could be wrong as I've not seen it first hand but I've heard this bike will be mullet and there will also be a new mullet e bike with the new shimano motor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In my opinion, I doubt it will be mullet.

The new 5010 is proof that Santa Cruz can and does ignore some of the pointless trends out there.

They’ve got enough 29ers right now. Just like the 5010, the Nomad caters to a specific rider and I just can’t see them putting a wagon wheel up front. Not when they have other bikes that fill that space.

BUT, I also couldn’t see them making an e-bike either, so what the hell do I know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post

The Nomad was never intended to be a straight-up purpose-built race bike, as far as I know... it’s “enduro’ish” for sure, But a 29” front wheel has no place on a Nomad. If you think it does you’re looking at the wrong bike.
    Agreed. My N4 nomad was actually a really bad race bike. I didn’t get along with it on race days. It was a great bike for park laps, but against the clock it felt like a pig. If you want to be fast get a megatower, I did and it is day and night a better race bike than the nomad was.

I hope they keep true to the free ride aspect of the nomad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I hope they don't go mullet. It may seem superficial but at some level I have to like the look of the bike I'm buying now matter how well it rides. And mullets just look naff in my opinion.

shredthögnar
    mulleting a 27 aint that difficult. if its 180/170 27 in native form I'd happily run it 170/170 mullet with lo chip

(I run a mullet mega currently)

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Totally agree with that statement. Also, bikes need to be differentiated in their purpose. Mega serves the race-bike crowd, Nomad has always been a sort of freeride-ish bike that pedals well and is fun to ride everywhere. I hope it stays on 27.5, though I think a flip-chip that has a Mullet setting could be a nice-to-have.

I don’t understand the ‘mullet” obsession here... just because a goof ball trend has caught on elsewhere doesn’t mean it needs to infect every bike out there.

I’ve had my finger hovering over the “just buy a V4 button” for months now. I guess I’m gonna have to wait a few more weeks to see what the deal with V5 is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    None of the 2021 builds currently show the new Nomad as a mullet. All wheel sizes state 27.5, all colors and parts are listed (and they're parts that were recently released so I know it's the upcoming Nomad), but the detailed geo and photos of the bike are MIA.

Maybe they'll change it suddenly when they reveal the photos, but there is something else coming that leads me to believe that if the Nomad says 27.5 on the build sheet, it's 27.5 on release.

mtbr member
    I suspect that the main reason why SC released the V10 in mullet form was because they have to have it made available for the public ... some UCI ruling? Could be wrong, but SC usually avoid short term fads and the Nomad has always been in that freeride/park but can pedal category, which 27.5 still continues to be the go-to. As others have stated, if you want to go fast, get a Megatower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJJ205 View Post
    None of the 2021 builds currently show the new Nomad as a mullet. All wheel sizes state 27.5, all colors and parts are listed (and they're parts that were recently released so I know it's the upcoming Nomad), but the detailed geo and photos of the bike are MIA.

Maybe they'll change it suddenly when they reveal the photos, but there is something else coming that leads me to believe that if the Nomad says 27.5 on the build sheet, it's 27.5 on release.
    I don’t suppose you can share what the colors are?

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread a vibrant “Kermit” someone saw in the wild... I love loud colors on bikes but not green. I hope the other color is something more neutral.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    The one Sam Dale has got is defo bright green

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fordo 197 View Post
    The one Sam Dale has got is defo bright green
    Like 2014 Bronson V1 Green? ugh...

I’d almost rather neon pink or sriracha mayo or another one of their oddball colors.

At least it would mean the other color will probably be more understated.

EDIT: googled it and turns out Sam Dale has a bright green 2021 Tallboy. SC isn’t gonna make a bright green Nomad. Not with a bright green Tallboy in the current lineup.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    It's 100% the new nomad, he was there with a camera man. Also know he's not keeping after he's finished the media stuff as another mate is thinking of having if off him. It's Kermit green, he sent the hip on the middle fiteroad on it, went really big too.

mtbr member
    Like 2014 Bronson V1 Green? ugh...

I’d almost rather neon pink or sriracha mayo or another one of their oddball colors.

At least it would mean the other color will probably be more understated.

EDIT: googled it and turns out Sam Dale has a bright green 2021 Tallboy. SC isn’t gonna make a bright green Nomad. Not with a bright green Tallboy in the current lineup.
    Ah ... you know SC had a kermit green Nomad back in 2013 right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    fordo 197 isn't imagining things.

mtbr member
    As in the same green as the 2018 Juliana Strega?

mtbr member
    Hold on till 15.12.

I am a Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE-prague View Post
    Hold on till 15.12.
    New Nomad v5 until 15th December 2020, that is way too long/late, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    New Nomad v5 until 15th December 2020, that is way too long/late, isn't it?
    between covid and the fires... they have a lot of things dictating and changing their plans.

mtbr member
    It's 100% the new nomad, he was there with a camera man. Also know he's not keeping after he's finished the media stuff as another mate is thinking of having if off him. It's Kermit green, he sent the hip on the middle fiteroad on it, went really big too.
    link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    between covid and the fires... they have a lot of things dictating and changing their plans.
    Whilst everything going is clearly impacting SC, releasing this 2 weeks before Christmas doesn't make a lot of sense. If they are delaying the announcement that far out I would assume it'll be pushed out to Feb/Mar 21.

Are you sure that isnt an availability date?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    All of this conflicting info makes me belive what I told you guys before is true, per SC this years Nomad is discontinued.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Is it matte kermit green (like the 2018 Strega) or shiny kermit green?

Huge fan of the matte green on the Strega.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by guylovesbike View Post

It is gloss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

From what I could see it seems like it's a matte green, but darker than the Strega green. I think kermit green is a good description.

The other color is similar to a recently released SC bike and it's a beauty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    All of this conflicting info makes me belive what I told you guys before is true, per SC this years Nomad is discontinued.
    That's wrong I'm afraid, it is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    It is gloss.
    From what I could see it was matte, but the picture I was looking at was quite small and you might be right about it being gloss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That's wrong I'm afraid, it is coming.
    The Messiah knows what he's talking about!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_nomad View Post
    From what I could see it seems like it's a matte green, but darker than the Strega green. I think kermit green is a good description.

The other color is similar to a recently released SC bike and it's a beauty.
    And what color is the SC logo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    And what color is the SC logo?
    Magenta/pink SC logo on the kermit green from what I could see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It is gloss.
    Part of me thinks you guys, or one of you, are related to Santa Cruz in some way and are deliberately slowly releasing details the more we approach the release date, while also throwing people off with a few things here and there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I remember an interview with someone from SC on PB about a year ago. The interviewee mentionned that of the things they like about competitor's bike were size specific chainstay (like Norco) and in-frame storage. Now that they have the size specific chainstay with the 5010, will the new Nomad have in-frame storage? That would be great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    We're all the same person (Mr. Santa Cruz himself) and this is a marketing ploy to get you all to spend your money on a new V5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm

We're all the same person (Mr. Santa Cruz himself) and this is a marketing ploy to get you all to spend your money on a new V5.

This guy knows

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    count me in!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    One of the things I wish the Nomad V5 has is more pop (vs. V4). The Nomad could benefit in being a little bit more playful. This seems to be the way marketing is pushing the 27.5 bikes anyway, while 29er are sold as being the plow-through-all enduro machines.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    One of the things I wish the Nomad V5 has is more pop (vs. V4). The Nomad could benefit in being a little bit more playful. This seems to be the way marketing is pushing the 27.5 bikes anyway, while 29er are sold as being the plow-through-all enduro machines.
    Apparently the N5 is going to have a shorter stroke than the N4, but with the same 170mm rear travel. I'm not a suspension expert, but maybe the increase in the leverage ratio will make if feel more poppy than the N4?

mtbr member

New Nomad?

Apologies for the poor screen grab, new episode of Dialed @ 2:36 looks like a new Santa Cruz with a Zeb....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad V5 rumors?-image0.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CORMONTE View Post
    Apologies for the poor screen grab, new episode of Dialed @ 2:36 looks like a new Santa Cruz with a Zeb....
    If you look at the SC site, the only bike in their current lineup with such an angular, chunky looking head tube area is the 5010.

Makes me think the bike you pictured is an XL 5010 in an unofficial color.

EDIT: although a Zeb on a 5010 doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for anyone save the hardest charging riders... IF the Zeb can even be reduced far enough to work on a 5010. maybe there IS something to that pic.

EDIT 2: is that an X2/DHX2 shock on it? Kinda looks like one of the adjustment thingies sticking out there near the top.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you look at the SC site, the only bike in their current lineup with such an angular, chunky looking head tube area is the 5010.

Makes me think the bike you pictured is an XL 5010 in an unofficial color.

EDIT: although a Zeb on a 5010 doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for anyone save the hardest charging riders... IF the Zeb can even be reduced far enough to work on a 5010. maybe there IS something to that pic.
    Hmm this one is interesting. The design (look) of the head tube Could mean anything since they could have just taken that influence off the 5010 since it’s their other latest bike. However the length of the head tube is what seems odd. It looks especially long and typically the frames designed for longer forks get a shorter head tube so the front end isn’t too tall. So that leads me to think this is a 5010 yet the fork also doesn’t look reduced so that’s curious. Maybe SC has lengthened their head tubes for bigger sizes which honestly might not be a bad thing because I think they’ve been a little short for L and XL frames, you see Peat and Minaar always having to run maxed stack heights and taller risers and I myself was running maxed stack and now ditched the 20mm bar for a 35 rise to allow myself some adjustments on stack. Maybe bigger size frames will get longer chainstays and head tubes moving forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill View Post
    Hmm this one is interesting. The design (look) of the head tube Could mean anything since they could have just taken that influence off the 5010 since it’s their other latest bike. However the length of the head tube is what seems odd. It looks especially long and typically the frames designed for longer forks get a shorter head tube so the front end isn’t too tall. So that leads me to think this is a 5010 yet the fork also doesn’t look reduced so that’s curious. Maybe SC has lengthened their head tubes for bigger sizes which honestly might not be a bad thing because I think they’ve been a little short for L and XL frames, you see Peat and Minaar always having to run maxed stack heights and taller risers and I myself was running maxed stack and now ditched the 20mm bar for a 35 rise to allow myself some adjustments on stack. Maybe bigger size frames will get longer chainstays and head tubes moving forward.

Someone did post earlier claiming the Nomad V5 would have size specific chainstays. And I THINK the bike pictured has an X2/DHX2 on it?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Spotted this in the new dialed video, probably the new nomad, has 5010 styling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad V5 rumors?-nomad.jpg  

mtbr member
    Different rubber on chain stays. Hm hm. Grey didn't made me drooling

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Unless they decided to completely change the color at the last minute, that is not the official second color for the V5.

bike rider
    Apparently the N5 is going to have a shorter stroke than the N4, but with the same 170mm rear travel.
    Yikes. Santa Cruz is really trying to lose me. Every thing they do now I disagree with.

I'm not a suspension expert, but maybe the increase in the leverage ratio will make if feel more poppy than the N4?
    No.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Unless they decided to completely change the color at the last minute, that is not the official second color for the V5.
    It doesn’t even look painted to me. No readily apparent down tube decals. It’s definitely got more angular headtube construction And different cable routing than the Mega, which is the only other bike in the lineup that it would make any sense to put a Zeb on.

That’s got to be a nomad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Am I the only one thinking that head tube looks extremely long for a long travel bike though? If that’s a Zeb at 170 then that head tube is at least that if not longer. An XL 5010 is 165mm long (a current Nomad XL is 130 for comparison). So it’s be odd but maybe just some weird franken 5010.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill View Post
    If that’s a Zeb
    Why would any bike with a Zeb on it be in Jordi's shop?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Looks like a bronson replacement imo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Checking out the competition I guess? I kind of wondered the same, but there’s little doubt in my mind that that’s what we’re seeing, so... who knows?

shredthögnar
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    Checking out the competition I guess? I kind of wondered the same, but there’s little doubt in my mind that that’s what we’re seeing, so... who knows?
    or maybe just helping a mate out with quick service or smth

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CORMONTE View Post
    I saw this bike on my local trail.. I thought it was a Megatower but the MT doesn’t have the angular head tube design. The length of bike stick out to me, that thing was long

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SCNomadCC View Post
    I saw this bike on my local trail.. I thought it was a Megatower but the MT doesn’t have the angular head tube design. The length of bike stick out to me, that thing was long
    New Bronson

mtbr member
    New Bronson
    Oh, come on, Bronson with Zeb? In fox dialed series? That must be serial setup

I am a Nomad
    Evaluating the competition, perhaps...?

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    No idea about that frame, but that is most definitely a Zeb. Have one on my mega. The arch, color and graphics are a dead give away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad V5 rumors?-zeb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Why is it suck a reach that a RS product is in his shop? maybe it has a fox shock on the mule? maybe it's a friends bike, etc etc? I'm fully confident he could tune a zeb just as well as a 38

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Why is it suck a reach that a RS product is in his shop?
    I dunno. Marketing is sensitive about tires, and they infamously get sharpied out, etc. You'd think that something like a fork would get someone yelled at. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯