Nomad grease nipple repair with photos- Mtbr.com
    ...is still one gear

Nomad grease nipple repair with photos

Greetings all. I know this has been talked about a lot, but I wasn't able to find any photos, so I thought I would share the love a little. After a couple of years, my Green Ano Nomad 2 lower link has taken quite a beating, even to the point where one of the grease nipples was smashed by a low flying rock and ended up quite deformed and non functional. This winter, I figured I would pull it all down and replace the nipples. In the end, I removed the push in nipples and drilled out the holes to 5mm and then cut an M6mm thread into each of the holes. It was quite simple, and allows me know to either run the M6 grease nipples (which you should be able to find at most good hardware stores) or a pan head bolt (bolts will have to be shortened!) - which is probably what I will do as it offers a little more protection. You simply have to remove the bolt and screw in the grease nipple when you want to use the grease gun. Anyway, hope this helps. Happy trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad grease nipple repair with photos-nomad_1.jpg  

Nomad grease nipple repair with photos-nomad_2.jpg  

Nomad grease nipple repair with photos-nomad_3.jpg  

JDO
    Heart Plumber
    Thank you, this is a great idea. Sometimes the most important changes or upgrades are the simplest.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmmmm...looks like I will have to figure out how to do this, thanks for the tips. My one isn't excepting grease anymore.

mtbr member
    i cant get mine to accept grease anymore either. i got SC to send me some replacement press-in nipples. Any ideas on how to get the old ones out and how to press in new ones? i dont want to go drilling my link if i can avoid it...

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    This

mtbr member
    Great solution. Running low profile bolts is a great idea. The newer zerk fittings work with the grease gun? I am passing this on to a few of my Nomad riding buddies and we may see if we can reproduce this. Great work.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    i cant get mine to accept grease anymore either. i got SC to send me some replacement press-in nipples. Any ideas on how to get the old ones out and how to press in new ones? i dont want to go drilling my link if i can avoid it...
    Vice grips should make quick work of the old ones, and I imagine that pressing in the new ones shouldn't be terribly difficult. Probably could insert one in the tip of the grease gun to press it in for a little more leverage.

I don't have any problems with the zerk's on my BLT, but if it does become an issue, I'll be doing this for sure.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

...is still one gear
    With regard to removing the old nipples, I just clamped the old grease nipple in a vice and pulled on the link. Just make sure you pull straight, otherwise you will ovalise the hole and have less material to cut the M6 thread into.
    Check out our Euro Enduro antics @:
    https://www.facebook.com/JeanetteAnthonyOnTour

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by onetothepowerofn View Post
    With regard to removing the old nipples, I just clamped the old grease nipple in a vice and pulled on the link. Just make sure you pull straight, otherwise you will ovalise the hole and have less material to cut the M6 thread into.
    What did you use to tap the hole?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Has anyone thought of using a flush head fitting? It's basically a panhead bolt that is greaseable.
    1/8" NPTF FLUSH GREASE FITTING, 1/8" NPTF FLUSH GREASE ZERK, 1/8" NPTF FLUSH ZERK
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for posting the photos and your instructions.

One of the zerks on my BLT2 is damaged. Are they a standard size? What do I ask for at a hardware store?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Use this for grease fittings that are clogged GREASE FITTING REJUVENATOR, GREASE FITTING CLEANER, GREASE ZERK CLEANER and they come in different sizes and formats. Use this to install threaded fittings Tungsten Tap and Die 110-Pc. SAE/Metric Set | Tap + Die Sets | Northern Tool + Equipment or you can buy the tapping tools seperate. Pretty easy process if your mechanical at all. I would also recommend using screws that are flush when screwed in similar to these if you dont want to keep a grease fitting in it Set screws, Allen, Cup point, Stainless steel 18-8 - Bolt Depot just use an allen wrench to install.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have the same Problem...but I am not able removing grease nipple of the the link

mtbr member
    Are the new ones not threaded? The ones on my Bronson sure look to be!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

replacment

Sooner--
    Did you have to replace press-fit with threaded? How did it go?
    Last edited by steviebadmash; 02-23-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steviebadmash View Post
    Sooner--
    Did you have to replace press-fit with threaded? How did it go?
    SC sent me replacement press fit nipples and I figured out a way to press them in. That said, they never worked perfectly for me as I guess maybe the hole was ovalized, so the new ones would pull out when i tried to pull the grease gun off the nip.

I dont have that bike anymore (warrantied) but eventually, SC sent me a brand new lower link for my BLTc becuase I was having issues with the new nipples staying in the old link. I only used it for like 3 months before having to get that bike warrantied. I dont know if the nips in there are press or threaded. I still have it if anyone needs a nearly new Blur LTc lower link

Members who have read this thread: 2