New Hightower LT vs Hightower- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Hightower LT vs Hightower

So, since this happened (both bikes stolen):

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...c-1051021.html

I'm now in the market for a hightower, hightower LT or Ibis Mojo 3.

I've never ridden a 27.5 + bike but they seem like fun...

And I am replacing a tallboy LT..

Any opinions on which?

I am leaning to Hightower with 27.5 + and then getting extra wheels..

and then the Ibis mojo 3 seems awesome..

I may head to downieville to demo some..

Thanks for any and all replies...
    don't believe everything you think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Following. I'm thinking about a Hightower too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Picking up my HT+ on Saturday, will post my Thoughts this weekend in case you haven't pulled the trigger yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What year are you getting

mtbr member
    It's a new 2018 the Grey "looks white to me" with Blue. already got the shop adding a Chromag Cockpit, crank boots, Chester's and a Marsh guard before I pick her up.
    Super Pumped!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I can imagine you are! Cingrats

mtbr member
    Thanks, coming off a rockhopper 29 I got 6 months ago, I'm sure this thing will be sweet.

mtbr member
    I would agree with the HT, with 27+, then 29" wheels to follow.

27+ is fun, and great to have, but I think you will eventually be on the 29" more. You'll definitely want the 130mm fork so get the plus or build from frame up.

FWIW, I'm on a TB3, with 27+ at the moment, and just waiting for the Reserve wheels to come aftermarket so I can buy some 29".

mtbr member
    Fork on the + is 150MM

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yep, get the plus set up and then add 29's. I think you will end up with the 29's tho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a TB3 came with 27.5+. Bought 29er wheels and never looked back. I put my 27.5+ on occasion. Nice to be able to change it up

LCW
    mtbr member
    If you want or need the extra travel, the HT LT is a great choice, as it doesn't give up much if anything in terms of pedaling. (at least when i compare to my Following - which I'll likely be selling because of that fact).

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    The HT LT is a very good choice, I went with the 27.5+ because it can run both wheel sizes and still has the same travel in front as the LT Bike, just a bit less in the rear and, If I'm not mistaken, you can't run the + wheels on the HT LT.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I chose to run 160 up front

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    well, I'm old. I'll probably fall off and break something as it is. 160 might be enough to kill me!!! hahahaha

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm currently in the French Alps on my HT with 27.5+ wheels and Minion tyres - it's amazing fun and I'm riding some pretty full on rocky trails and they're holding up great. I've got 160 36s upfront and an X2 shock and haven't once felt like I needed more travel.

Amazing bike and with two wheelsets, far more versatile than an LT IMVHO.

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?...5724456089703/

mtbr member
    Looks like a Blast

mtbr member
    I've got a regular HT with a 650+ wheelset and a 29 wheelset. Amazing bike and I'm loving the $%#@ out of it. I don't really need the 650+ wheelset tbh. The bike is so damn amazing in 29r mode that the 650+ mode just seems meh.

mtbr member
    Thanks for responses/replies...

Locally a 2018 hightower 27+ is available on mango (S+ build) as well as Hightower LT in the R build, which I will go look at tomorrow...

Hard decision I just wish I knew whether I wanted 27+ (or not) but it seems like a nice application with some choices...

anyways...
    don't believe everything you think.

mtbr member
    Either way you go, I'm sure you will be pleased.
    Good luck!

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    It's a new 2018 the Grey "looks white to me" with Blue. already got the shop adding a Chromag Cockpit, crank boots, Chester's and a Marsh guard before I pick her up.
    Super Pumped!
    Yeah, looks white but close. Got RF Next handle bar, RF Turbine 50mm stem, ODI TLD grips for cockpit and Monarch Plus for rear shock.
    You'll love it:

New Hightower LT vs Hightower-2017-08-24_0617.jpg

New Hightower LT vs Hightower-2017-08-24_0639.jpg

Have fun.
    HVC

mtbr member
    Very nice, Think I'm going to go with the Fox DPX2 Factory on the rear and an MRP ramp control in the fork, still have to do a little more research tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal View Post
    So, since this happened (both bikes stolen):

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...c-1051021.html

I'm now in the market for a hightower, hightower LT or Ibis Mojo 3.

I've never ridden a 27.5 + bike but they seem like fun...

And I am replacing a tallboy LT..

Any opinions on which?

I am leaning to Hightower with 27.5 + and then getting extra wheels..

and then the Ibis mojo 3 seems awesome..

I may head to downieville to demo some..

Thanks for any and all replies...
    Demo is obviously your best bet. That said here's my thoughts:

Background: Got the Mojo 3 when it first came out and rode it for 5 months. Switched to the HT last November. About 2 months ago I got a '18 X2 for the HT. I have both 29 and 27+ wheelsets and have ridden this many places in OR, CA, UT and CO.

Mojo 3: Great zippy bike but the suspension is incredibly linear and I kept bottoming out - even with spacers. The super short wheelbase makes it very nimble but also NOT very stable at speed (comparatively). I like 27+ but can't see ever wanting to ride regular 27.5 again. This bike won't fit 29. Get it if you want the zippiest most XC like of the three and you don't aim for the rowdiest trails. Oh and you don't want a 29" option.

OGHT: Nice to have both 27+ and 29 options. I use both. It's a horses for courses situation. The HT is the right tool for the job for 95% of my riding. I don't race XC and I rarely ride super mellow trails. On the contrary my wife and I seek out all the backcountry black and double black trails. This often requires a lot of climbing to get the sweet descents. Even with a shuttle I'll still log 4k' of climbing to get 6k' of down. The HT doesn't hesitate when you hit the pedals and it doesn't ride heavy. The addition of the X2 made a HUGE difference. There is more midstroke support, the bike is more composed on rough sections and it handles the big hits incredibly well. I'm running a 150 fork and NEVER felt I needed more rear travel.

HTLT: I cannot speak to the ride quality of the LT, but I can say this: My wife is moving to the HT from the Mojo 3. I set her up to demo mine (we ride the same size frame) and she immediately got several PRs. Until she rode the HT she didn't realize how much the M3 was holding her back. The Sriracha Red was the only color she likes - the color I rode - so I gave her mine. This freed me up to get the LT if I wanted. The only time I've felt like I might want a bigger bike was riding lifts all day at the bike park. The key word is might. Besides not liking the colors of the LT I did want the option to use 27+ in addition to 29. Ya can't do this on the LT. Sure the tires will fit but the bottom bracket is realllllllly low. A new OGHT will be arriving tomorrow and we're getting an X2 on it right away. If you don't care at all about 27+ wheels then I'd probably consider the HTLT.

Now I'll complicate things: Rocky Mountain dropped the Instinct/Pipeline today. For '18 they're the same frame. Mounted with 27+ it's called the pipeline, with 29er hoops it's the Instinct. It's close to the OG Hightower travel/geo, but they do make the BC edition which is similar to the HTLT. The BC edition has a different link and shock stroke. I don't know if you can get the other link aftermarket. Had this come out a few days ago I might have gone that route.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal View Post
    Thanks for responses/replies...

Locally a 2018 hightower 27+ is available on mango (S+ build) as well as Hightower LT in the R build, which I will go look at tomorrow...

Hard decision I just wish I knew whether I wanted 27+ (or not) but it seems like a nice application with some choices...

anyways...
    I got the plus version and love it. There are times when, for better acceleration and overall speed, I wish I had gotten 29ers. The 27.5+ are remarkably forgiving though and I would argue are the better way to learn on this bike. The bike is FAST and though it's not the best jumper, I have gotten far too much air on some features just by hitting them faster than I ever had. The plus size tires are more forgiving on landings and make washouts pretty infrequent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Background: Got the Mojo 3 when it first came out and rode it for 5 months. Switched to the HT last November. About 2 months ago I got a '18 X2 for the HT. I have both 29 and 27+ wheelsets and have ridden this many places in OR, CA, UT and CO.
    I appreciate your bike breakdown. very informative.

Do you think putting a X2 on the Mojo3 could tune in a fix for the linear travel/ bottom out issue?

How far off is the HT+ in terms of snappy, quick handling? Noticeable difference in climbing/accelerating?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I appreciate your bike breakdown. very informative.

Do you think putting a X2 on the Mojo3 could tune in a fix for the linear travel/ bottom out issue?
    I'm not sure if it would fit or not. Honestly it's not what I'd try to do. It's like trying to make the bike something it's not. If you did try to go this route I might try for a DPX2 or CC DB Inline. Though if you like the Ibis and simply want more capability (without the 29er option) then I'd look at doing the HD3 or HD4. Both will take 27+ (HD3 in boost version). The Boost HD3 should feel much like a M3 but more capable. The HD4 is a more significant change

Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    How far off is the HT+ in terms of snappy, quick handling? Noticeable difference in climbing/accelerating?
    It's not massive. The M3 and HT both cover a lot of ground in what they're capable of. It's just that the HT is slightly more biased towards the rowdy end of the spectrum and the M3 is more biased towards the XC side of things. There's still a lot of overlap. Ask yourself if you want something that's more XC/Trail oriented with only a bit of all-mtn, or All-Mtn/Trail with only a bit of XC.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    Yeah, looks white but close. Got RF Next handle bar, RF Turbine 50mm stem, ODI TLD grips for cockpit and Monarch Plus for rear shock.
    You'll love it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-24_0617.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	1153882

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-24_0639.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	1153888

Have fun.
    HVC
    Hi is the monarch plus 200 x 57 ?

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner23 View Post
    Hi is the monarch plus 200 x 57 ?
    No, 200x51.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Hightower LT vs Hightower-2018-01-11_0604.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    No, 200x51.
    badass sexy

mtbr member
    My 5 cents. I have OGHT with both 29" and 27.5" wheelsets. I bought the bike with 29" but with 15 mm fork so I have no experience whatsoever riding this rig with 140 mm and to be honest, I feel there is no need for that either. The only reason why I did not buy the HTLT was an ability to use 27.5+ wheels. I have them installed currently and they are more fun. 29" is about the speed and precision, but 27.5 is where the fun starts (at least for me). They are more stable and more forgiving (as said previously) but more importantly they have awesome traction especially in wet conditions, on slippery roots and rocks (I have Minion DHF/R II in both wheelsets). The tiny difference between 2.3" and 2.8" is actually quite noticeable what comes to support in soft ground and snow.

On the other hand, with 29" wheelset OGHT is turned into a racing beast. It is fast, more precise to maneuver where I point the front wheel and much more planted to the ground creating something I only can describe as high speed stability. 29ers definitively roll better and are my choice for a longer trips, occasional enduro races and other situations where speed and rolling are needed. When I just want to have fun (as it's been lately due to the weather conditions and time limitations) I use 27.5+.

So for me, the ability to have two wheelsets basically gives me two bikes. Not to mention that I have SC Chameleon as well which uses the same wheels so four bikes in two frames.
    Roots, bloody roots