My Santa Cruz Surprise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Santa Cruz Surprise

I've been spending the past year trying to decide what new bike to buy. For reasons I've gone into before, I can't make the purchase until June.

After demo's on dirt of various rides and asking way too many annoying questions I pretty much determined that the TBLTc was the best choice for me.

Last week the SC demo van came to eastern PA. I drove 2 hours to take one more ride on the LTc in conditions similar to my normal trails.

First, I rode over an hour on my current Trance to warm up and get to know the park. Next came an hour on the LTc over the same route. I enjoyed it but there seemed to be something missing. "Tossability?" The LTc took the tight twisty turns a bit wider.

I wanted to try the 5010 next but the large was out so I decided to ride the Bronson. I had the pre-conceived notion that it was more bike then I needed. I was so wrong! I absolutely fell in love. The 6" travel felt perfect. I had no climbing issue, it took the turns as well as my 26" and had me riding things I would normally avoid. The size of the smile I had indicated I had found "my" ride.

Next I went out on the 5010 but could not find any reason not to go with Bronson which was hardly on my radar that morning.

Now I just have to wait for the 2016 kit. The LBS I'm dealing with said to expect a new 1x11 in the SLX price range and, of course, the new Fox shock.

mtbr member
    Congrats on finding one you love! It just goes to show that the specs on paper are not the end all be all of bike selection.

mtbr member
    Thank you and I agree on written specs versus actual riding experience.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing photos of it when you get it delivered, built, and most importantly being ridden!

b a n n e d
    Sounds like the SC Demo truck did exactly what its supposed to do . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I rode the TBLTc and the Bronson before I bought my Bronson. The Tallboy felt closer to my 2007 Blur LT, and thus more familiar. I had a hard time getting used to the Bronson at first. Second ride sold me.

I have since jumped on a friend's TBLTa and I am very glad I chose the Bronson. The more I get used to it, the more it can do. Huge confidence boost on steep chunky stuff.

mtbr member
    i think too many people just think the Bronson and Nomad are for nasty stuff only. theyre so wrong

mtbr member
    That's one of the rewards of doing your research and investing on demo a bike, thumbs up!
    Highball CC
    Ripley 1st Gen