Issue with Cytoe downtube protector on Tallboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Issue with Cytoe downtube protector on Tallboy

I installed a cytoe downtube/bottom linkage protector on my Tallboy. After just one ride I removed it and noticed that the finish was rubbed off of the bottom suspension linkage where the protector rubs on it. The protector has 2 velcro strips (soft loop side) underneath that look to be designed to rub on that linkage, but the strips collect dirt and then work like sandpaper on the linkage.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Is there a better solution than the velcro strips?

I just installed a complete frameskins kit, which includes protective tape covering the downtube and bottom bracket. Is adding the cytoe protector to this overkill? I do ride lots of rocky technical terrain.

I am Beaver
    My bike is new this fall and my solution was to form a skid plate using a piece of 3/16 kydex sheeting and mount it to the down tube using the bottle mounts, looks like it's going to do the trick and is pretty damned light weight. This stuff is pretty impact resistant.

I'll know more after some testing. I copied some ideas I've seen here concerning carbon linkage and downtube protection. Once I had the material it took less than an hour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I installed a cytoe downtube/bottom linkage protector on my Tallboy. After just one ride I removed it and noticed that the finish was rubbed off of the bottom suspension linkage where the protector rubs on it. The protector has 2 velcro strips (soft loop side) underneath that look to be designed to rub on that linkage, but the strips collect dirt and then work like sandpaper on the linkage.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Is there a better solution than the velcro strips?

I just installed a complete frameskins kit, which includes protective tape covering the downtube and bottom bracket. Is adding the cytoe protector to this overkill? I do ride lots of rocky technical terrain.
    I had same issue. Glued a little foam on the plastic. Good to go.

mtbr member
    Too bad there isn't a second hole to allow greasing both zerks without removing the skid-plate. Has anyone made a second hole?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    The only issue I have is that he hasn't finished making a version for the aluminum Tallboy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the frameskin and the protector on....I don't think it's overkill because the the tape is really there for scratch resistance. The plastic is great for larger items like rocks.

I also have the frameskin + a plastic downtube protector on an Ibis and it's held up great for the past year.

my body breaks the falls
    I cut a pair of 1" wide sections off an old tube and pulled them over the end (doubled up). This had the added benefit of silencing the protector when riding through chunky stuff that would cause it to "slap" the links on occasion. Works pretty well.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

I am Beaver
    This is my first prototype, so far so good, I may cut the next one into a modified Y pattern where the holes are cut.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    I cut a pair of 1" wide sections off an old tube and pulled them over the end (doubled up). This had the added benefit of silencing the protector when riding through chunky stuff that would cause it to "slap" the links on occasion. Works pretty well.
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I borrowed a friends Tallboy and made some tweaks to my plate design. The plate now does not touch the linkage and the gap should be enough to limit the slap in the chunk. I'll have my test mule verify this

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Should it mount flat against the downtube, or should there be some washers under it to provide a gap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Should it mount flat against the downtube, or should there be some washers under it to provide a gap?
    The plate you have mounts flat (no washers for gap). The plate I've posted here follows the shape of the down tube better, which lays flatter (and also does not contact the linkage at rest).

mtbr member
    id love something like this for my BLTc, but how would I attach it? theres no water bottle mount on the BLTc......

mtbr member
    The new design looks vastly improved, especially with the 2 grease holes.
    I'll take one when you are ready to ship.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    The plate you have mounts flat (no washers for gap). The plate I've posted here follows the shape of the down tube better, which lays flatter (and also does not contact the linkage at rest).
    I was wondering because in the photo above it looks like there is a gap between the skidplate and the downtube.

I put a frameskin kit on my TB, including the downtube protective tape. Then I put the skidplate over it. When I removed the skidplate, the protective tape was deformed by the skidplate (squished down where the edges of the center slit are, and bubbled up in between), and it makes me wonder if it is putting stress on the downtube in those areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was wondering because in the photo above it looks like there is a gap between the skidplate and the downtube.

I put a frameskin kit on my TB, including the downtube protective tape. Then I put the skidplate over it. When I removed the skidplate, the protective tape was deformed by the skidplate (squished down where the edges of the center slit are, and bubbled up in between), and it makes me wonder if it is putting stress on the downtube in those areas.
    Hmm...are you sure you are not over tightening the bottle mount screws?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hmm...are you sure you are not over tightening the bottle mount screws?
    No, not sure. How tight should they be?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, not sure. How tight should they be?
    The screws really don't need to be overly tight...just tighten till they are snug. I guess it's hard to describe w/o a torque wrench. No tighter than if you where putting on a water bottle mount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi Cytoe just sent you a pm. Hoping to pick up a newly designed plate for my Carbon XL Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
    Hi Cytoe just sent you a pm. Hoping to pick up a newly designed plate for my Carbon XL Tallboy.
    Hi island life,

I didn't get a PM...but here's my current ad with the updated Tallboy plate: Rock protection for the Santa Cruz Tallboy and Niner RIP 9 (all sizes and model years) - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    I just ordered one. Please make sure it's the new design with 2 grease holes.
    Thanks
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi Cytoe,

Just placed an order. Do you have the new design in stock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
    Hi Cytoe,

Just placed an order. Do you have the new design in stock?
    Yes. I'll get it in the mail tonight. All plates shipping now are the new design.
    Thanks

bicycle rider
    I've got one on my cf Tallboy. It works pretty good, but it is noisy in chunk. How to fix the clacking noise?

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    I've got one on my cf Tallboy. It works pretty good, but it is noisy in chunk. How to fix the clacking noise?

Morgan
    Hi Morgan,

Is this the previous version (only one zerk hole)?

bicycle rider
    Hi Morgan,

Is this the previous version (only one zerk hole)?
    Yes:

Issue with Cytoe downtube protector on Tallboy-2011-12-05_09-07-08_851.jpg

Morgan

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Cytoe, got the UHD protector for the TBc. From previous versions I thought I'd take a couple of pics to see if you think the shape is right?

The plate shape doesn't cover the carbon drive side of the rear triangle lower pivot, and protrudes the other side just shy of half an inch (pics sort of show this).

Is this the right plate for a TBc or is this a TB Lt plate? (order = Item Title.Tallboy (carbon frame) Utra-Duty protection plate)

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    Hi Cytoe, got the UHD protector for the TBc. From previous versions I thought I'd take a couple of pics to see if you think the shape is right?

The plate shape doesn't cover the carbon drive side of the rear triangle lower pivot, and protrudes the other side just shy of half an inch (pics sort of show this).

Is this the right plate for a TBc or is this a TB Lt plate? (order = Item Title.Tallboy (carbon frame) Utra-Duty protection plate)
    I'm wishing there's that bit of overhang plate on the LTc. If the skid plate stopped right at the edge of the pivot, I can see a situation where if you hit slightly off to the non-drive side, the plate will shift/twisting to the other side a bit and exposing the pivot to damage.
    You're setup looks ideal if an idler pulley was installed...like a Blackspire Stinger...which will help stop the twisting/shifting over to the other side. And, the overhang offers a bit more protection from things flipping up and around into the pivot.
    Just my thinking...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Agree - the non-drive side overalp looks good, but the drive side looks like the plate may be cut for something different?. Just checking.

banned
    Oct 2004

Mine w/ a Stinger

Agree - the non-drive side overalp looks good, but the drive side looks like the plate may be cut for something different?. Just checking.
    Hope this helps...what I said about the Stinger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue with Cytoe downtube protector on Tallboy-skid-b.jpg  

Issue with Cytoe downtube protector on Tallboy-skid-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've had my Tallboy carbon protector for a year and it works great. I would like to get one without grease port holes. I think it will keep the linkage cleaner. When will these be available?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

WWJR
    take yur hairdryer and heat it up. it moves quite easily when its warm.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oops...looks like you got the TBLTc plate. Shoot me an email and we can get it cleared up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I've had my Tallboy carbon protector for a year and it works great. I would like to get one without grease port holes. I think it will keep the linkage cleaner. When will these be available?
    Email or pm me... I can make a special for you

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup... That's either a TBLTc or Blur TRc plate. Email me and I'll get the right plate out

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cheers, mate - will do.

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Too bad there isn't a second hole to allow greasing both zerks without removing the skid-plate. Has anyone made a second hole?
    Just got mine for the TBLTc. It has no holes for grease ports and is a poor fit with about a 1" gap between the protector and pivot.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjunkie View Post
    Just got mine for the TBLTc. It has no holes for grease ports and is a poor fit with about a 1" gap between the protector and pivot.
    There was no point in making grease port holes on the TBLTc plate since the grease zerks are at an angle. Having no holes keeps the bb area cleaner too. As for the gap between the pivot and the plate, it is by design (stated in my ad). The gap prevents the plate from rubbing or slapping; the VPP linkage actually moves forward and backward some, so if the plate were snugged up to the pivot, it would rub the pivot raw. If there are any other concerns, please let me know...I'm always trying to improve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How are you? I am trying to buy a downtube protector for my tallboy ltc and your ad is no longer on mtbr.com. Can you send me a link to buy one

Thanks
    Jeremy

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Never mind. I found the new link

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy36 View Post
    How are you? I am trying to buy a downtube protector for my tallboy ltc and your ad is no longer on mtbr.com. Can you send me a link to buy one

Thanks
    Jeremy
    Here's the new link to my ad: Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories