Hightower V2 - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,719 of 1719

Thread: Hightower V2

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Gaci I run 30% on my 160 Fox 36 Factory.

Santa Cruz Hightower v2 CC XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaci View Post
    Have you actually increased sag a tiny bit to achieve 30% on a 55stroke or left it where it was and you just have a bit more bottom out manoeuvre?
    The difference in sag is negligible between 55 and 52.5 (.75mm). Iím running the same air pressure but I did put a larger volume reducer in to add a bit more progression.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzc View Post

ill post a pic of how the coil and coil eyelet ring must be position so thereís no rubbing. Because if itís not correct there is rubbing.
    Can you show us a pic of how to position the coil so there is no rubbing?

bababooey!

No good

‚Äč
    Last edited by racerzc; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:35 PM.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Cheers mate!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The spring clip on that Cane Creek shock is not in the right place. Its meant to be on the eyelet and it looks like you have it spring clip-bottom out bumper-eyelet? If you do do not ride it any further until you have changed it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    The spring clip on that Cane Creek shock is not in the right place. Its meant to be on the eyelet and it looks like you have it spring clip-bottom out bumper-eyelet? If you do do not ride it any further until you have changed it.
    Ahh, I think I know what you mean. The bumper has no function the way it is in the pictures, right? Itīs installed on the wrong side of the spring-clip.
    Why would someone do that?
    correct:
    bumper-->spring clip -->eyelet

wrong(picture in last post):
    spring clip-->bumper -->eyelet

Bottoming out is NOT a good idea in this case.....

Hereīs how it should be (picture below)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-canecreekdbilcoil.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Wooow youíre right! The spring retainer is on top of the bottom out bumper!

It should be at the very bottom of the shaft. Like on this picture.

shredthŲgnar
    what in the world

bababooey!

Iíll go to my dark corner now
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    does anybody has a good recommendation for a bearing press/removal tool for the H2? I don't mind expending some money for a nice tool. I was thinking about buying the abbey bike micro bearing press that would work for me and other friends bikes but I would still have to find a way to remove the bearing. Specialized kits like RWC look very nice one

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...CLSD-7902.html

that can remove/press the closed link bearings, but if I'm not mistake Santa Cruz had a note on their bearing collet puller that this would not work for my18+ bikes because of type of bearing used, does anybody know if this kit would work?

SC said to use a punch but looking at how the collet work and where SC tells you to position the punch I don't see how the puller wouldn't work (unfortunately SC gear shot is closed now, so I can't go back and read their note).

Any other recommendation? Abbey Bike press is definitely a nicer tools and better investment and wouldn't cost me much more than the RWC kit for both 6902 and 6900 bearings, but I like the adapters to remove the bearing that RWC has as well as RRP (unfortunately only for open links where you need access on both sides of the bearing).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Iíll go to my dark corner now
    Can you re-assemble and tell us if the fitment is still ok? I for one, am very interested in this shock option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    does anybody has a good recommendation for a bearing press/removal tool for the H2? I don't mind expending some money for a nice tool. I was thinking about buying the abbey bike micro bearing press that would work for me and other friends bikes but I would still have to find a way to remove the bearing. Specialized kits like RWC look very nice one

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...CLSD-7902.html

that can remove/press the closed link bearings, but if I'm not mistake Santa Cruz had a note on their bearing collet puller that this would not work for my18+ bikes because of type of bearing used, does anybody know if this kit would work?

SC said to use a punch but looking at how the collet work and where SC tells you to position the punch I don't see how the puller wouldn't work (unfortunately SC gear shot is closed now, so I can't go back and read their note).

Any other recommendation? Abbey Bike press is definitely a nicer tools and better investment and wouldn't cost me much more than the RWC kit for both 6902 and 6900 bearings, but I like the adapters to remove the bearing that RWC has as well as RRP (unfortunately only for open links where you need access on both sides of the bearing).
    Try this

https://www.bearingprotools.com

They are inexpensive and they do the job like any other tool!

Edit:

We now have a sister site BearingProToolsUSA.com shipping to the US and Canada from US-held stock!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    CC DBCoil IL on a 2020 Tallboy but the same logic applies to the 2020 HT

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Dvfubj...d=gr2rwx71r6dq

The Tallboy has a puny 190x45mm shock size specification so it was pretty difficult to find a coil shock for it. Most piggyback coil shocks come in 200x57, 210x55 to 230x60 sizes.

The Cane Creek DB Coil Inline came in both the new metric 190x45 and older imperial 190x50 sizing, but I decided to long stroke the shock to 50mm giving me an additional 12mm of rear travel bringing it to 132mm. Bonus deal. The shock + spring combo comes in at 545gm.

The VPP already does a great job of isolating the rear forces from the rider when coupled with an air shock but it feels even better paired with a coil shock (note that the Tallboy has a progressive leverage curve so it plays well). The 350lbs spring gives me about 27-30% sag, running with a healthy dose of 10 clicks of LSC to pair well with the short travel + VPP. Will talk more about air vs coil another day.

bababooey!
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwun View Post
    Can you re-assemble and tell us if the fitment is still ok? I for one, am very interested in this shock option.
    Yes, I have already. Regardless of the spring position the coil rubs the tunnel on the right side. The only difference between the youtube review and what I have on is a 500 pound progressive spring. So I PM'd him to see what spring rate he chose with his [i think] linear spring. (I think I saw that the linear springs are black and progressive springs are white)

The rub is VERY minor so its super close to fitting. But until I find out more I have my air shock back on for now.

edit-ill take some measurements of my spring once i return from riding today.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Try this

https://www.bearingprotools.com

They are inexpensive and they do the job like any other tool!

Edit:

thanks for the suggestion, I just got for $46 the press/puller kit for the megatower, same bearing sizes of hightower v2. for $46 it's a no brainer much cheaper than anything else and will give it a try.

their puller works similar to the collet puller but don't really have the hooks on the backside, it uses pressure applied to the bearing, not as nice as the collet but for the price it's worth a try for sure! I don't really like hammering my frame but since all the bearings are inside the link I'm not too worried about using a punch

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I used one of their extractor on my SB130 few days ago and it worked perfectly ... then you put it back in your toolbox and see you next year

I donít like to bang on my frame either but honestly you donít need a lot of force to push them out ... after the first hit they just get released!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, I have already. Regardless of the spring position the coil rubs the tunnel on the right side. The only difference between the youtube review and what I have on is a 500 pound progressive spring. So I PM'd him to see what spring rate he chose with his [i think] linear spring. (I think I saw that the linear springs are black and progressive springs are white)

The rub is VERY minor so its super close to fitting. But until I find out more I have my air shock back on for now.

edit-ill take some measurements of my spring once i return from riding today.
    Thanks for the update.
    Wonder if it a coil will work with this linkage?

Hightower V2-img_ea8b492fa9db-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks for the update.
    Wonder if it a coil will work with this linkage?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_EA8B492FA9DB-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	1319277
    Yes it will! They always add more progression along with a bit more travel when they can. It should come out soon, they are working on it ... (at least they did before the whole COVID-19 outbreak)

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Good news boys and girls, the upcoming linkage from ęCascade ComponentsĽ will (as expected) give more progression (see leverage curve) and they are aiming for 150mm of travel with the stock stroke (52.5mm)! And YES that means 157mm of rear travel with a 55mm stroke shock! Boom! LOL.

The prototype is not finalized yet so it could still vary a little but thatís the numbers they are aiming for!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Good news boys and girls, the upcoming linkage from ęCascade ComponentsĽ will (as expected) give more progression (see leverage curve) and they are aiming for 150mm of travel with the stock stroke (52.5mm)! And YES that means 157mm of rear travel with a 55mm stroke shock! Boom! LOL.

The prototype is not finalized yet so it could still vary a little but thatís the numbers they are aiming for!

Maybe if they bring out some decent Hightower colours this would be more exciting but right now a Black Mega imo is the smart buying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wasn't sure the hightower would see the cascade link to be honest, seeing as the megatower exists. Nice that it will be available for those who kinda want a bit of each.

Also, I don't think the new link will help with the coil clearance issues though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    Also, I don't think the new link will help with the coil clearance issues though.
    Not everyone is having clearance issues with a coil ... and those who do can easily bypass them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by springs View Post
    Maybe if they bring out some decent Hightower colours this would be more exciting but right now a Black Mega imo is the smart buying.
    I wouldnít say buying a bike based on itís color is ... smart!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I wouldnít say buying a bike based on itís color is ... smart!
    Agreed. I bought a blue Hightower and overlooked the colour hoping the bike would be awesome but I soon sold it as it wasn't what I was looking for. Fitting a coil helped immensely but the coil rubbed no matter what I did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Agreed. I bought a blue Hightower and overlooked the colour hoping the bike would be awesome but I soon sold it as it wasn't what I was looking for. Fitting a coil helped immensely but the coil rubbed no matter what I did.
    I thought I would do a dBInline Coil, but after riding with the MegNeg add-on, I'm seriously impressed with the rear suspension performance - don't feel like it needs an upgrade. I guess YMMV depending on your weight and riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I thought I would do a dBInline Coil, but after riding with the MegNeg add-on, I'm seriously impressed with the rear suspension performance - don't feel like it needs an upgrade. I guess YMMV depending on your weight and riding style.
    Agree, the megneg is sublime.

Santa Cruz Hightower v2 CC XL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not everyone is having clearance issues with a coil ... and those who do can easily bypass them!
    Hi Digev, I'm keen to run a coil on my HT2 but reluctant to order one because of the rubbing. Can you tell me how i can 'bypass' the clearance issues?

Do some coil shocks fit better than others? Ordinarily, I wouldn't chose a CCDBIL if a had a choice. But if this is the only coil setup that will work I think I would grab one.

I'll keen to try the cascade link when that becomes available, presumably the cascade link would allow me to choose from a broader range of shock options like Fox DHX2, Ohlins etc, is this a fair assumption?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Iím about to pull the trigger on the megneg upgrade after reading about it and everyoneís feedback so far. For people that installed it themselves, was it a pain to put on? Iím not the most mechanically inclined.Sorry if this is a question already asked! I figured with basically being quarantined on the weekends due to whatís going on in the world it would be a good project to take up some time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N8USMC View Post
    Iím about to pull the trigger on the megneg upgrade after reading about it and everyoneís feedback so far. For people that installed it themselves, was it a pain to put on? Iím not the most mechanically inclined.Sorry if this is a question already asked! I figured with basically being quarantined on the weekends due to whatís going on in the world it would be a good project to take up some time.
    I would describe myself as someone who usually knows enough to be dangerous, but manages to get mechanical work done, even if with some swearing. Watch the video a few times, take your time. It's pretty straightforward.

mtbr member
    Getting the shock on and off the bike is more difficult than the process itself. I'd also recommend a small strap wrench. Outside of that, the video is spot on man, and I am sure you could knock it out.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    I would describe myself as someone who usually knows enough to be dangerous, but manages to get mechanical work done, even if with some swearing. Watch the video a few times, take your time. It's pretty straightforward.
    like he said it's no harder than an air can service which is pretty simple and there are lots of good videos available to watch on youtube!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi Digev, I'm keen to run a coil on my HT2 but reluctant to order one because of the rubbing. Can you tell me how i can 'bypass' the clearance issues?

Do some coil shocks fit better than others? Ordinarily, I wouldn't chose a CCDBIL if a had a choice. But if this is the only coil setup that will work I think I would grab one.

I'll keen to try the cascade link when that becomes available, presumably the cascade link would allow me to choose from a broader range of shock options like Fox DHX2, Ohlins etc, is this a fair assumption?
    Hey Obiwun,

I'm waiting for a bit of info to confirm and cross check something then I can tell you everything I know about all this

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hey Obiwun,

I'm waiting for a bit of info to confirm and cross check something then I can tell you everything I know about all this
    Looking forward to that info as well....I ordered a CC DB IL just because it was such a good deal...even though knowing that there are a lot of problems with rubbing. Hopefully there is a cure...
    Luckily delivery time should be 8-10 weeks, so still a lot of time....
    At first I was not totally happy with the standard shock but now that I have managed to set it up properly....I am not sure if going coil is the right thing. But hey....It might be worth a try.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Getting the shock on and off the bike is more difficult than the process itself. I'd also recommend a small strap wrench. Outside of that, the video is spot on man, and I am sure you could knock it out.
    Strap wrench is key.

Ive been experimenting with a different megneg setup. Previously had bike in high position
    No tokens
    2 bands in megneg
    235 psi, 2 clicks of LSC 5 clicks of rebound from open
    ready to ride weight 195

Changed geo to low pos
    removed 1 band from megneg
    everything else the same

Magic carpet ride
    2020 SC CC Hightower

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Alright, here we go! Full disclaimer before we get started, I donít own a HighTower 2020 but I've spent enough time messing with coil shocks and springs to help you figure out how to fit a coil shock onto this frame!

The main issues are:

1) - Bottom out
    2) - Rubbing

Letís talk about the bottom out prevention.

The stock linkage gives an average progression rate of 24% in the low position, and the high position is about 3% less progressive. To be honest thatís really not catastrophic and even with the stock linkage you could run a coil shock without any problems.

But letís say we want even more progression, we have two options.

- A new linkage
    - A progressive spring

Cascade will release a new linkage pretty soon and it will add 10% of progression, pushing it to 34% in the low position and 150mm of travel with the 52.5mm stroke or 157mm with the 55mm stroke. Now, no need to be worried about harsh bottom outs (if they ever happened anyway) so we wonít need a progressive spring.

FYI the MegaTower is rated for both Air and Coil and itís average progression rate is 31% in the low position and 27% in the high position. So we get even more progression than the MT with the new Cascade linkage. Whoop Whoop!!

Now what if we want to keep the stock linkage? In that case do we have enough progression to fit a coil shock? I would be tempted to say yes. If you think about it, the difference between the MT in the high position and the HT in the low position (both with stock linkage) is only 27% vs 24%.

3% of progression is not a huge difference!

OK now letís talk about SPRINGS and our issue number 2, rubbing.

Depending on the spring, either linear or progressive you will have to make sure it doesnít contact the frame under compression while riding. How do we do that?

Easy

What are the fixed values and what are the variables?

Fixed value:

Spring length: 2.25" (57mm)

Variables

ID (internal diameter): 35mm min - 36.5mm max
    OD (outer diameter): HERE LIES OUR ISSUE WITH CLEARANCE! The VALT springs OD can vary between 52.5-54mm and the SLS springs are on average 2.5mm thinner given the same rate
    Spring rate: Matching the rider's weight, ready to ride

Now you should know something about the VALT vs SLS ... they are both compatible with the CCDB Coil IL but they have a different ID

VALT ID = 36.5mm
    SLS ID = 35mm

The VALT is a bit loose once fitted to the shock and the SLS has a snug fit so it doesnít rattle even with just 1 turn of preload. The SLS has an advantage when it comes to clearance because itís thinner.

Letís have a look at 2 compatible springs and measure their OD.

VALT Linear 2.25x450lb = 52.7mm OD

SLS Linear 2.25x400lb = 50.4mm OD

See? I did not find my 2.25x400 VALT but I guess it would be very close to the 450.

The coil manufacturers donít have much choice to increase the rate.

The length is pre-set, the ID is pre-set so the only way to add more material is to increase the OD. Got it?

That means the heavier you are, the wider the OD will have to be to increase the spring rate!

And now back to our rubbing issue. At the moment nobody has measured/published the maximum spring OD compatible with the HT v2, so until someone does we have to guess.

@racerzc is running a 500lbs-610lbs progressive VALT and he reported a small amount of friction/rubbing against the frame. Nothing crazy but still.

Based on the CaneCreek website, this is the firmer progressive spring rate they have.

210 x 55 Shock Size Compatible VALT Springs:

AAD1784 VALT Ė 2.25X350
    AAD1763 VALT Ė 2.25X400
    AAD1764 VALT Ė 2.25X450
    AAD1765 VALT Ė 2.25X500
    AAD1766 VALT Ė 2.25X550
    AAD2288 VALT Ė 2.25X600
    AAD2418 PROGRESSIVE VALT Ė 55mmX400-488lbs
    AAD2419 PROGRESSIVE VALT Ė 55mmX450-550lbs
    AAD2420 PROGRESSIVE VALT Ė 55mmX500-610lbs

@semi-sendy who is running the 2.25x450lbs linear VALT on the other end did not report any rubbing. (Rider 175lbs/80kg)

So what do we do with all that knowledge? Well, it shows that running a coil shock on the HT v2 is definitely a possibility and we have several options to make it happen.

Linear VALT up to 450lbs?
    Progressive VALT up to 400-488lbs?
    Linear SLS up to ???

If you are light enough you might get away with a VALT but if you are heavier and the VALT rate means wider OD then you can always try a SLS (Btw they are much lighter too, so even if your VALT fits nicely but you want to save weight you can go to the SLS as well)

This setup is really light, it can even be lighter than a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate (Damn thatís a long name) + MegNeg ... depending on the spring rate you need.

I run this setup on my Yeti SB130 and on 3 other bikes before that (SB6/SB5.5/Jeffsy) and this shock is dope!

Same length, same stroke (210x55)

455g

If you want to make your HT punch above itís weight and unlock its potential, a coil shock will do just that. Youíll really benefit from a coil if you ride fast, rocky, rooty trails. If youíre happy about your actual shock, keep it

I hope this will help some of you!!

Be safe everyone, and no ridding until further notice
    Last edited by digev; 6 Days Ago at 02:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    And you typed all this on your mobile phone ?? INSANE !

Great job as usual!

Keep in touch mate

bababooey!
    Digev 2020-helping make America sprung again

edit-helping make the world*****forgot all of us donít have a child for the leader of their country
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Strap wrench is key.
    an old spare tube works fine if you don't have a strap wrench, that's what I used when doing air can service on my old monarch

mtbr member
    May 2017
    SLS springs deflect quite a bit more than the Valt or Ohlins springs and will rub too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Customer of mine tried a 450lb valt spring on a IL coil and it rubbed the tunnel on his HT. Size large frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Tunnel clearance may vary depending on frame size and type (alloy/C/CC)
    Got this on Semi Sendy Youtube channel

Tobi Onassis

Is it a Hightower V2 CC frame or a C frame? CaneCreek told me that a CC frame has less clearance for the spring - thatīs why.

Semi-Sendy

This is the C frame Tobi. That's good to know as I hadn't heard that about the CC frame yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2uKLqMYLE&t=313s

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_79 View Post
    Tunnel clearance may vary depending on frame size and type (alloy/C/CC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2uKLqMYLE&t=313s
    Mine was a CC XL frame and all springs rubbed. Fingers crossed Cascade comes thru with a solution because the bike really responds well to a coil imo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    SLS springs deflect quite a bit more than the Valt or Ohlins springs and will rub too.
    SLS: 35mm ID
    ÷hlins: 36mm ID
    VALT: 36.5mm ID

The SLS fits perfectly on the CCDB IL body when the other 2 are loose and move a lot. The SLS is on average 2.5mm thinner at the same rate. In short, tighter and thinner!

Draw your own conclusions but donít make any assumptions, you might be surprised

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Chris_79;14632011]Tunnel clearance may vary depending on frame size and type (alloy/C/CC)

Thatís some good info right there!

So when testing you need to provide:

Frame size:
    Frame material:
    Spring rate:
    Spring brand:
    Spring type:
    Spring ID:
    Spring OD:
    Link position:
    Result:

By cross-testing you will build the necessary knowledge needed to help the HT community! In the end you'll know what spring brand/rate to use on what frame size/material.

If itís a miss or hit scenario at the moment itís because youíre not sharing enough info to build that knowledge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Customer of mine tried a 450lb valt spring on a IL coil and it rubbed the tunnel on his HT. Size large frame.
    Thanks Rick! Do you remember the frame material? Aluminum/C/CC

mtbr member
    May 2017
    SLS: 35mm ID
    ÷hlins: 36mm ID
    VALT: 36.5mm ID

The SLS fits perfectly on the CCDB IL body when the other 2 are loose and move a lot. The SLS is on average 2.5mm thinner at the same rate. In short, tighter and thinner!

Draw your own conclusions but donít make any assumptions, you might be surprised
    I'm not making any assumptions. I had the bike and tried the springs. Didn't you already say you didn't own a Hightower? Are you making assumptions or just passing on secondhand info?

Also, for info for those that want to go with coil, 30% of wheel travel sag should be around 13mm on the 55mm stroke shock. 30% of shock travel (about 18mm) puts you too deep into the travel. That's good info from Jimmy at Cascade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I'm not making any assumptions. I had the bike and tried the springs. Didn't you already say you didn't own a Hightower? Are you making assumptions or just passing on secondhand info?
    Which springs? Wich rates? Wich frame material? Wich position?

Assumptions are all I can make right now in order to HELP others

Now if people start posting hard facts and numbers we can have a clear understanding of whatís going and move towards a solution! I've seen enough similar situations to believe itís possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Mine was a CC XL frame and all springs rubbed. Fingers crossed Cascade comes thru with a solution because the bike really responds well to a coil imo.
    So i guess CC frames are not compatible coil with stock linkage. Hopefully Cascade can make one that gives more clearance by taking the shock a bit lower in the tunnel (55mm width). I guess the sping rubbed on top of tunel ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Fair question! Does the rubbing occur at the top of the spring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Cascade Components testing the proto HT link yesterday ...

Now have a look at some of the comments

Coil! Coil! And It seems the link will lower the shock so it will give even more clearance! Thatís good news

Testing a DHX2 and various spring rates/ODs ... heyhey

Source: http://www.instagram.com/p/B-LKZ20n5...d=by647be3x4ao

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hoping for some quick help here....

Can a kind soul measure the length of the steerer tube from an XL (or L assuming they use the same length) HT with a factory build?

My Lyrik is coming soon and I'd like to cut the steerer to the length SC does on their builds.

Thanks.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks rick! Do you remember the frame material? Aluminum/c/cc
    cc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Hoping for some quick help here....

Can a kind soul measure the length of the steerer tube from an XL (or L assuming they use the same length) HT with a factory build?

My Lyrik is coming soon and I'd like to cut the steerer to the length SC does on their builds.

Thanks.
    Any particular reason you want to cut your steerer tube to a particular length other than the one that works for you? This is usually done by the LBS not SC, steerer tubes are not cut from the factory there is no reason to do that other than when the bike is being built.

mtbr member
    Any particular reason you want to cut your steerer tube to a particular length other than the one that works for you? This is usually done by the LBS not SC, steerer tubes are not cut from the factory there is no reason to do that other than when the bike is being built.
    I don't want to pile on, but also, leave it long. Run a spacer above your stem. Once you cut a steerer tube you can't uncut it. But yeah, why rush thru cutting it when you don't even have the bike? I would generally advise against that. Could make for an expensive mistake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    I don't want to pile on, but also, leave it long. Run a spacer above your stem. Once you cut a steerer tube you can't uncut it. But yeah, why rush thru cutting it when you don't even have the bike? I would generally advise against that. Could make for an expensive mistake.
    I'm just trying to get idea of where to start with spacers and stack height, that's all. The steerer on the fork from my V1 Hightower is about 7.5 inches so also curious if that has changed.

I've installed many forks and cut many steerers, I know to measure twice and cut once.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Shout out to Jimmy @ Cascade Components for sharing some details about the upcoming link and specifically about clearance!

The link will indeed lower the shock! The shock mount location on this prototype is 3 mm closer to the pivot than the stock link with the flip chip in low. Regardless of if we change anything with the leverage curve this will remain the same. 3 mm added clearance to the top of the tunnel is a benchmark for us.

bababooey!
    Cascade Components testing the proto HT link yesterday ...

Now have a look at some of the comments

Coil! Coil! And It seems the link will lower the shock so it will give even more clearance! Thatís good news

Testing a DHX2 and various spring rates/ODs ... heyhey
    If thatís the case then I think itíll clear, mine rubbed only at the top right of the tunnel. So if The link lowers the rear mount of the shock even 1mm I think the new angle would allow clearance.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

If thatís the case then I think itíll clear, mine rubbed only at the top right of the tunnel. So if The link lowers the rear mount of the shock even 1mm I think the new angle would allow clearance.
    Absolutely

The SLS would fit as well but if you think about getting the new link and donít mind a bit of extra weight from the VALT then youíll be golden!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    how much does the cascade link lower the BB?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    No idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    2.5mm for Bronson linkage

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_79 View Post
    2.5mm for Bronson linkage
    but I'm not asking about the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    but I'm not asking about the Bronson.
    I know but it should be pretty much the same IMO

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Well I'm definitely convinced and just ordered it to get shipped to my house. Can't wait to get it installed! Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    I have an alloy frame. I have been talking to someone who has an alloy frame as well and he said no way a coil will fit..even with the cascade link!

Oh well...anyone looking to sell their super deluxe ultimate?

Do larger frame size's really increase the tunnel diameter at all?

bababooey!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoma22 View Post
    I have an alloy frame. I have been talking to someone who has an alloy frame as well and he said no way a coil will fit..even with the cascade link!

Oh well...anyone looking to sell their super deluxe ultimate?

Do larger frame size's really increase the tunnel diameter at all?
    He has a cascade link already?! Lucky!
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    He has a cascade link already?! Lucky!
    Lol no I donít believe he does. He did say even with the link a coil would not fit. Meaning the C frame has more clearance vs alloy in stock form.

However, I am optimistic, so if the link does provide more tunnel clearance via being lower, it could change things.

Not sure how many alloy riders are out their but weíll have to see what the link provides, clearance wise, and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Hightower V2

Yeah, I have an alloy frame and there is no way a coil will fit.
    I might get the cascade link though if there are general improvements to be had. I like air shocks and want to keep the weight of the bike down as much as possible.

How much does the cascade link weigh? The stock link is 331grams with grease and bearings.

The raw link might also look good on my raw frame.

mtbr member
    Just measured my XL XTR HT2 w/reserve and OGHT L size X01 build and the weight difference was 200g (13.94 vs 13.73 kg)! Not bad, judging by hand, I thought that HT2 would have been much heavier. Larger size and different weight distribution while lifting confuses the eye.

I also learned I'm stronger that I thought: all my home gym weight plated were heavier than indicated
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

mtbr member
    Feb 2020

Hightower V2

Yeah, I have an alloy frame and there is no way a coil will fit.
    I might get the cascade link though if there are general improvements to be had. I like air shocks and want to keep the weight of the bike down as much as possible.

How much does the cascade link weigh? The stock link is 331grams with grease and bearings.

The raw link might also look good on my raw frame.

Looks great btw! How much does yours weigh? Mines an xl just over 35lbs! W/ pedals. Lol. Sheís a beast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    thanks, it will be 32.5lbs (14.7kg) when its got all the parts on it.
    still to add some carbon rims.
    I was looking at getting some different tyres, but I like the Minions. Might get a HR2 for the rear to lose another 150g

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Wow that's quite a bit lighter than mine. I'm full NX drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

DHX2 (2.25x500 SLS) + Cascade link

mtbr member

It would be great if Cascade would test X2 fitment as well. Please and thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2017

Great to see. How's the clearance on the right hand side? My shock was slightly offset to the right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Great to see. How's the clearance on the right hand side? My shock was slightly offset to the right.
    The clearance to the top of the shock tunnel is quite good, that was the main issue. Better than the clearance to any of the sides. So the limiting factor for coil spring size will be the width of the shock tunnel.

Jimmy sending it this morning during testing! Itís fair to say it wonít bottom out that easily

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The clearance to the top of the shock tunnel is quite good, that was the main issue. Better than the clearance to any of the sides. So the limiting factor for coil spring size will be the width of the shock tunnel.

Jimmy sending it this morning during testing! Itís fair to say it wonít bottom out that easily

Mine rubbed on the RHS of the tunnel. Even the 480lb Ohlins spring rubbed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Mine rubbed on the RHS of the tunnel. Even the 480lb Ohlins spring rubbed.
    We'll see, testing in progress ... at the moment itís all fine with the 500lb SLS. (No rubbing at all)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just a few rides in to my new HT v2 and absolutely loving 29er wheels so so fast coming from 27.5 and never owning a 29er

One thing I'm hearing a bit of is cable rattle, but not from the rear end (I've got axs so no cable), my rattle is from the reverb hose out front, it's very loose in the entrance to the hole (holes bigger than the reverb outer) so it's very rattly on the descents

Has anyone else noticed this or not and if so is there a cure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Didzy2009 View Post
    One thing I'm hearing a bit of is cable rattle, but not from the rear end (I've got axs so no cable), my rattle is from the reverb hose out front, it's very loose in the entrance to the hole (holes bigger than the reverb outer) so it's very rattly on the descents

Has anyone else noticed this or not and if so is there a cure?
    Try to use a zip-tie to attach the hose with front brake hose. The hose should not be loose, but maybe you could tune it with a rubber grommet?
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Try to use a zip-tie to attach the hose with front brake hose. The hose should not be loose, but maybe you could tune it with a rubber grommet?
    Will have a look see if I can get it taught enough with the zip tie method, it's very rattly by hand just doing it at the entrance port, it feels loose and baggy for the size of the hole so can see how it's doing it

On my bronson v3 the reverb was the other side and never caused a issue

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

This is great news. Do you have any info about that mounting hardware, looks custom? Are there any shocks that can be ordered with the 30x8mm bearing on the lower eyelet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anybody have details on the new colors?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Finally got this guy done today after picking the frame up back in November. Took it around a 3 mile dirt road loop and everything feels great. Hoping for some dry trails to put it through the ringer on this week.

Build:
    XL frame
    Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
    Hope/Race Face ARC 30 wheels
    XT 12 speed
    XT brakes
    2.5/2.4 Minion rubber
    PNW Bachelor dropper
    Race Face Atlas bars, cranks
    Chromag HiFi stem

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

Finally got this guy done today after picking the frame up back in November. Took it around a 3 mile dirt road loop and everything feels great. Hoping for some dry trails to put it through the ringer on this week.

Build:
    XL frame
    Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
    Hope/Race Face ARC 30 wheels
    XT 12 speed
    XT brakes
    2.5/2.4 Minion rubber
    PNW Bachelor dropper
    Race Face Atlas bars, cranks
    Chromag HiFi stem

How portly is your girl?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight70 View Post
    How portly is your girl?
    Right around 30 lbs according the bathroom scale. Right about where I expected it to be.

mtbr member
    Had an eye opener last night while chasing a creak. Just curious how many of you all have really gotten into the linkage section of your HT2? I went one bolt at a time cleaning and lubing but when I got to the main links at the bottom I was mind blown at this design. The amount of grit and grime collecting down there is quite concerning to me and I can see this being a long term issue if not short term. The rear tire is literally churning dirt directly onto that black linage system and the bearing covers are already wearing.

If you haven't pulled your rear wheel and really dug into this, it might make sense to do so more regularly. It's the first thing on the bike where I felt a little panic about this set up overall. It rides fantastic but from a maintenance standpoint seems like a nightmare. I'm about 300 miles in...no much riding really. Average conditions.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Had an eye opener last night while chasing a creak. Just curious how many of you all have really gotten into the linkage section of your HT2? I went one bolt at a time cleaning and lubing but when I got to the main links at the bottom I was mind blown at this design. The amount of grit and grime collecting down there is quite concerning to me and I can see this being a long term issue if not short term. The rear tire is literally churning dirt directly onto that black linage system and the bearing covers are already wearing.

If you haven't pulled your rear wheel and really dug into this, it might make sense to do so more regularly. It's the first thing on the bike where I felt a little panic about this set up overall. It rides fantastic but from a maintenance standpoint seems like a nightmare. I'm about 300 miles in...no much riding really. Average conditions.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at mine later today.
    Any pics to show bearing cover wear?

Are replacement bearings even available yet from Santa Cruz for the HT2?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was rushing through, grease and paper towels everywhere man, so I apologize I didnt get any. The process of going one at a time is rather painless. What I mostly discovered was a collection of dirt and debri around and over the covers. However the covers fit a bit loosely in their respective spots. Sooooo on the lowest pivot point especially, the grit is already wearing down the outer edges of the covers (metal on metal with grit in between) and creating silver/sharp edges. To be honest, the positive was that the bearings still look perfect, but eventually the wearing of these covers will begin to let more and more water and dirt in there.

The little fender keeps crap off the shock for the most part but that link is taking a beating from just normal dirt collection. Hard to tell if its better to keep things more dry in there? Wash it out more often? Blow it with air? Just trying to consider on the regular (weekly) what I can do to help.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Are replacement bearings even available yet from Santa Cruz for the HT2?
    yes, I've got one from SC a few weeks back, maybe a month ago. It's the same kit used on the Mega (I guess, bearings are the same not sure about the spacers but I think it's all the same) got it in a few days, after I asked for, just in case I needed new bearings for the spring overhaul.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The little fender keeps crap off the shock for the most part but that link is taking a beating from just normal dirt collection. Hard to tell if its better to keep things more dry in there? Wash it out more often? Blow it with air? Just trying to consider on the regular (weekly) what I can do to help.
    I'm also curious about this, as I just got a new HT v2. The same linkage has been used a while for the Nomad, Bronson, etc.. which have been out longer. I wonder if others have run into any long-term issues with the low shock linkage design? And if not, how they are regularly maintaining it.

I'm used to wiping down all my stanchions after a ride. With the design of the mud flap that covers the shock, it's pretty tedious if you need to take that off every time..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone having squeaking from the Monarch rear shock? I know its been a problem with some SRAM shocks in the past and now mine has developed this issue after a month of riding.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

I'll Pass...

Quote Originally Posted by SCFord View Post
    Iím a long time lurker but first time poster. I had a chance to take out the new Hightower on Friday and thought Iíd give my thoughts in case anyone is interested.

I have an OG HT and it has been my favorite bike, so Iíve been looking forward to the new version for a while now. I ride in Santa Cruz and prefer tech, Iím not super rowdy but will do 4-5 ft drops and jump about 1.5-2 bike lengths.

Im 5í10 and rode a large, position felt fine, it definitely had a firm platform for climbing, no pedal bob. I did notice the front end wanted to wonder a bit more than the OG, I run a 150 so same size fork. It also didnít feel as nimble going around corners, I got hung up on stuff I donít normally do.

Descending I was a bit disappointed, a lot of that could be just needing to get used to the new geo, I only had the bike for 4 hours and would definitely want to set the cockpit up differently than stock. The front end felt floppy, almost like it was too slack and I found myself getting kicked off my lines pretty easily. I tried to keep weight over the front end but still couldnít find myself getting along well with the bike. I also have a v4 nomad for reference, that I love, so I am used to a slack front end.

The bike seems to have lost the trail bike soul, it didnít feel as agile and flickable as my OGHT. Iím pretty bummed you canít run a coil on it as I think that would be an amazing combo, I get it to separate the MT from the HT but I think Santa Cruz should have made it coil compatible and let the customer decide, especially since the bike is so down hill focused now.

The tan color looks pretty rad in my opinion, clearance in the rear looks fine for at least a 2.5 tire, Iíll attach some pics for reference. Overall I was a bit let down, when I demoed the OG and the Nomad I immediately felt I need to have this bike, for the HTv2 I didnít come away with that feeling. I felt the same way with the v3 Bronson, in all honesty the v3 Bronson and v2 HT feel pretty much the same, theyíre both great bikes but I personally didnít feel like I Ďneedí to have them.
    I agree, too. Although the V2 feels "better" .... the dollar differential between my OGHT and the V2 or even Megatower does not justify the loss of cash and time, upgradng parts to a newer frame.

This is my subjective opinion, and nobody has to agree with me. My 2017 OGHT CC XE is still by no means a "Dinosaur." I was able to demo a 2019 Megatower for one week and the significantly lighter OGHT still had all the chops:Hightower V2-ht1.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Lots of friends I had at the Sedona MTB festival and a few others threw a leg over a TON of bikes. Interestingly there was overwhelming feedback that the MT and HT2 felt like they were just too locked in to straight lines and didnt want to carve and turn like other bikes. some of those bikes were even slacker. Interesting for sure.

I love my HT2 but I also dont go around flirting with other rides...just for that reason. I'm also running my old HTLT fork on it with the old offset, because I figured the juice wasnt worth the squeeze in buying a new fork. LOL

BTW, they both had the GG Smash in their top two bikes of everything they rode...and they previously threw some serious shade in that direction. Interesting. The Pivot was up top as well.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I was rushing through, grease and paper towels everywhere man, so I apologize I didnt get any. The process of going one at a time is rather painless. What I mostly discovered was a collection of dirt and debri around and over the covers. However the covers fit a bit loosely in their respective spots. Sooooo on the lowest pivot point especially, the grit is already wearing down the outer edges of the covers (metal on metal with grit in between) and creating silver/sharp edges. To be honest, the positive was that the bearings still look perfect, but eventually the wearing of these covers will begin to let more and more water and dirt in there.

I have wondered about this as well. Every time I clean my bike and take the back wheel off that amount of dirt and grit in the bottom of that lower link bothers me. This is my main gripe on this bike is how to keep the linkage down there clean?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by N8USMC View Post
    I have wondered about this as well. Every time I clean my bike and take the back wheel off that amount of dirt and grit in the bottom of that lower link bothers me. This is my main gripe on this bike is how to keep the linkage down there clean?
    I just took my lower link apart today to clean out all the dirt and mud and there was a lot. Not really sure how to keep it clean other than either hose down that area good if thatís even advisable or take it apart every few rides and at least wipe it down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
    I just took my lower link apart today to clean out all the dirt and mud and there was a lot. Not really sure how to keep it clean other than either hose down that area good if thatís even advisable or take it apart every few rides and at least wipe it down.

This seems to be the only options I can think of as well!

So a little off topic from the lower link issue, I just finished putting the megneg upgrade on my super deluxe. I can't seem to find what the torque spec is for the shock bolts that fasten the shock to the bike. Does anybody know by chance?

mtbr member
    16nm

Save this link on your phone for easy access. I hit it all the time.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en...tower/2-carbon

mtbr member
    Double Post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

tunnel clearance

I 3D printed a gauge to check the tunnel clearance on my HT2 CC size L. It slips over the RS SDU so it is aligned to the path of the shock. I printed the gauge at 54mm OD which is the max OD for the Cane Creek Vault spring when it is uncompressed. The spring should 'swell' a little when it compresses.

My findings were,

Hightower V2-img_4980.jpg

Tunnel clearance is adequate on the non-drive side and the top.
    Hightower V2-img_4991.jpg

Tunnel clearance is very tight on the drive side.
    Hightower V2-img_4998.jpg

I think the SLS spring is going to be ok but I'm not sure about the Vault or other 54mm OD springs.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    I agree, too. Although the V2 feels "better" .... the dollar differentiial between my OGHT and the V2 or even Megatower does not justify the loss of cash and time, upgradng parts to a newer frame.

This is my subjective opinion, and nobody has to agree with me. My 2017 OGHT CC XE is still by no means a "Dinosaur." I was able to demo a 2019 Megatower for one week and the significantly lighter OGHT still had all the chops:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ht1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	1321417
    I long-shocked my OG Sriracha red with a X2 to get ~151mm on the rear and bolted a 170mm 36 Grip2 w/ 51mm rake and the thing is a beast! It lifted the whole bike enough to be noticeable on the CO front range chunk with less pedal strikes...and that's w/ 175mm arms!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I 3D printed a gauge to check the tunnel clearance on my HT2 CC size L. It slips over the RS SDU so it is aligned to the path of the shock. I printed the gauge at 54mm OD which is the max OD for the Cane Creek Vault spring when it is uncompressed. The spring should 'swell' a little when it compresses.

My findings were,

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	1321575

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	1321577

Name:	IMG_4998.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	1321579

I think the SLS spring is going to be ok but I'm not sure about the Vault or other 54mm OD springs.
    Wow, thatīs amazing work. The tunnel clearance on the drive side is really tight - there might be some rubbing. Probably not on parking lot but during rough chatter over rocks and roots....that might be not enough. I got a HTV2 CC Large as well and am really grateful for every information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

My findings were,

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	1321575

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	1321577

Name:	IMG_4998.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	1321579

Congratulations! You killed it. Thanks a lot for that post and the forward thinking

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    FYI

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    The general guideline I go on is anything over 20% rising rate will work fine with a linear coil, and over 30-35% is a "high" amount of progression. A rough estimate for progressive springs is adding 10-15% to the rising rate so anything around 10% will be gold with the extra ramp up and I highly recommend a progressive spring there. The Commencal is right on the 20% so can either have a nice linear feel without too much bottoming risk, or a healthy amount of ramp with a progressive spring
    Source: https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...e-1105413.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    16nm

Save this link on your phone for easy access. I hit it all the time.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en...tower/2-carbon
    Awesome, thanks! Megneg is installed and back on the bike now. Hope to be able to get on the trails soon to try it out once the rain stops!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone try running a 170mm fork on their HT v2?

MntBikeGuy
    Jul 2019
    Let me look for a photo of my 2019 Hightower.

bababooey!

my stock 2.4 leaving this much buzz for those who think 2.5 is possible.

had a rainy day ride today

this is how the linkage looked...3 standard condition rides and todayís ride since her last disassemble, clean, and grease. For yíallís info!

heres the ride.
    https://youtu.be/EdfrwfbQhVk
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member

my stock 2.4 leaving this much buzz for those who think 2.5 is possible.

had a rainy day ride today

this is how the linkage looked...3 standard condition rides and todayís ride since her last disassemble, clean, and grease. For yíallís info!

heres the ride.
    https://youtu.be/EdfrwfbQhVk
    am I the only one that can't see the pics?

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Broken pictures!

bababooey!
    am I the only one that can't see the pics?
    Hm it shows up on my phone. Is this better?

Hightower V2-70706acf-ea10-4ed6-813b-10028443738c.jpeg

Hightower V2-4fc4d89a-39d4-4314-9529-f78976dc69e0.jpeg

Hightower V2-6f4af261-d9ec-4409-bfe0-93417f746d38.jpeg

Hightower V2-a6792be2-d40f-4b28-91bb-bd309acde84d.jpeg
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Those came through. Glad I prefer 2.5 front and 2.4 rear.

bababooey!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoma22 View Post
    Those came through. Glad I prefer 2.5 front and 2.4 rear.
    Thatís what Iím running. Maybe Iím a bit wider due to the cushcore being in there?
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Thatís what Iím running. Maybe Iím a bit wider due to the cushcore being in there?
    Shoot could be. I have never ran cushcore. I need to check mine now haha.

mtbr member
    I can see the pics now. I'm running dissector 2.4 and so far no problems, but I haven't ridden in so much mud. I have about 7.5mm clearance both sides and front with the dissector 2.4

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Can this bike run to 2.6 front / 2.5 rear ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Can this bike run to 2.6 front / 2.5 rear ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If you are not riding too much mud I think it's possible. My dissector 2.4 measure ~60mm vs ~63mm assegai 2.5 so I would still have ~5mm of clearance. I think it's doable for summer months, probably wouldn't try myself in the winter.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789