Hightower V2 - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1300

Thread: Hightower V2

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlex View Post
    Plusher in the initial part of the stroke with more mid stroke support and the end part of the stroke firms up without being harsh. I was bottoming every ride previously, now I'm close but yet to bottom! So now there is more grip and balance, zero harsh feelings.
    Curious....what is your riding weight, air pressure you are running and any bands or vol reducers? Thinking this might work for me.

Trail Rider
    Installed MegNeg on my HT. Riding weight 190, was running 195 psi in stock super deluxe with 2 tokens, 4 clicks of LSC (from open) just a hair shy of bottoming out. Shock felt pretty good, but a little harsh compared to my last bike, which had a DPX2.

The MegNeg made the shock go from good to great. Removed the tokens from the positive chamber, running MegNeg with 2 bands out of 4, 3 clicks of LSC. Had to increase pressure to 238. Shock is very plush, with good mid support.

Now running the bike in the high position. Was running in low before, because the bike's suspension kinematics felt better with that geometry.

Edit: Just watched the Bike Magazine HT review, they liked the bike but commented that the rear suspension felt harsh/chatttery compared to the Norco Sight. I think the MegNeg fixes that characteristic. My HT still climbs just as well as it did before BTW.

2020 Bible is out so I know what I'm doing for the next couple of hours. Bike rules for not posting one review per day as opposed to the PB Field Test series.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the info, you are same weight as I am so this sounds good. So you went up in air pressure (I assume to maintain proper sag) but the shock feels less harsh, interesting.

I have not tried the high position but I have not been riding rocky or challenging terrain yet. No pedal strikes so far.

Trail Rider
    The larger negative air spring necessitates more psi. The instructions on shock setup states that you'll need about 20% more psi.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Installed MegNeg on my HT. Riding weight 190, was running 195 psi in stock super deluxe with 2 tokens, 4 clicks of LSC (from open) just a hair shy of bottoming out. Shock felt pretty good, but a little harsh compared to my last bike, which had a DPX2.

The MegNeg made the shock go from good to great. Removed the tokens from the positive chamber, running MegNeg with 2 bands out of 4, 3 clicks of LSC. Had to increase pressure to 238. Shock is very plush, with good mid support.

Now running the bike in the high position. Was running in low before, because the bike's suspension kinematics felt better with that geometry.

Edit: Just watched the Bike Magazine HT review, they liked the bike but commented that the rear suspension felt harsh/chatttery compared to the Norco Sight. I think the MegNeg fixes that characteristic. My HT still climbs just as well as it did before BTW.

2020 Bible is out so I know what I'm doing for the next couple of hours. Bike rules for not posting one review per day as opposed to the PB Field Test series.
    I thought the same thing in relation to the chattery back end. I was quite shocked at this given all reviews had said how good the back end was but I found it slightly uncontrolled and didn't go a good job at all over high speed repeated hits.

The megneg did help it quite a bit, giving a little more movement easier near the sag point over small high speed chatter. Over the bigger single hits the megneg gave lots of support and helped with ramping up even more so that was a definite improvement.

I went a step further and put an Ohlins coil in there (525lb spring) and this got it closer to how it should have been from factory in relation to chatter. Much more controlled, chatter muted another level, still not erased by any means but not distracting like it was with the air shock. (The chain slap noise I experienced with the air shocks was decent enough to be annoying, now its tolerable...I like a quiet bike).

I just fitted the RWC needle bearing into the bottom mount of the coil and this has made a further improvement to the chatter. Now I've started to forget about the suspension and just ride it so it's damn close to the best that it's going to get. Definitely lost a little pop fitting the coil but not enough that it's a negative. Bike is much calmer in relation to trail feel and noise, much nicer to ride overall now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Got a ride between rain storms, first time out on the new tire set-up I mentioned, Aggressor 2.3 out back, Ardent 2.4 front. 25 psi in both to start. The ride I was on is a urban easy 12 mi loop in the local hills that does not get real wet after rain and when all the good trails are closed this one is where everyone ends up. It's not technical by any means, has a lot of long steady hills to go up, two very steep grunt hills and a few good high speed down hill sections, you can get up over 30 mph. We call it the exercise ride, good spin for the legs

So Immediately noticed a much faster bike on the flats, far less effort to keep it rolling, especially in the tacky dirt and slight uphill sections. The DHR II's were clearly bogging the bike down. I had all the traction I needed from the Aggressor, never slipped or spun out, even when I was somewhat trying to. There are only a hand full of spots on this ride where you can lean into the front tire, I rode each of those several times over increasing my speed into the turn every time trying to find the limit. I never experienced any wash out or loss of grip from the Ardent, and I tried. We did have hero dirt which helps a lot but I got no feeling it was inconsistent.

Overall for me this is the change the bike needed, I have a renewed excitement and really enjoy the ride on the more mellow trails now. I had previously felt the bike was riding slow and dare I use the descriptor "lead sled". That is not even a thought now. so if you have similar issues different tires does make a huge difference. This combo may not work for you but feels pretty awesome to me. Total weight change is just about a pound less, no biggie but certainly does not hurt!

mtbr member
    Once that Ardent bites you a few times, put a Dissector on up front instead. ITís a fantastic balance of grip and weight for mellow trails with a ton of pedaling. Iím running it with an Aggressor rear on one bike and a Rekon rear on another and itís livened the bike up tremendously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadpop View Post
    I am running a 160mm air spring on a Pike Ultimate on my V2. There are hash marks on the stanchions for 150mm and 160mm travel for setting the sag. Fork feels really nice. Coming off 4 bikes with Lyriks I find the Pike totally capable for me at 175 pounds.
    Wait, what? So you put in a 160mm air spring for a Lyrik into a 29er Pike Ultimate?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    Wait, what? So you put in a 160mm air spring for a Lyrik into a 29er Pike Ultimate?
    No you want a 160mm pike B1 Debonair spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Once that Ardent bites you a few times, put a Dissector on up front instead. ITís a fantastic balance of grip and weight for mellow trails with a ton of pedaling. Iím running it with an Aggressor rear on one bike and a Rekon rear on another and itís livened the bike up tremendously.

- I just had my 1st ride with a Dissector 2.4WT Front & Rekon 2.4WT Rear and couldn't be happier!

Granted, the dirt is sooooooooooo good right now in Toro Park that a SpecialEd Fastrack/Renegade combo would work. LOL!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    No you want a 160mm pike B1 Debonair spring.
    Is that true also for 29 wheels and 2020 Pike model?
    I thought that Pike 2020 for 29 wheels is just up to 150mm and that scale on the leg 160mm is meant for 27,5 wheels.
    Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was talking to a Santa Cruz rep today and he mentioned a spacer can be removed in the super deluxe bumping the travel up alittle to 146. He only had good things to say about doing it. Has anyone else done this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I would assume he was talking about the internal bumper not a spacer, would want to make sure there is clearance for the extra travel of the rear tire. I could be wrong though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookstar View Post
    I was talking to a Santa Cruz rep today and he mentioned a spacer can be removed in the super deluxe bumping the travel up alittle to 146. He only had good things to say about doing it. Has anyone else done this?

It's been hinted at a few times in this thread, but no one has yet to confirm this is happening successfully. We all just keep teasing and staring at each other. LOL Any other details from the conversation you can share?

I'm installing a megneg next week, so I may play around while I am dabbling and see how she looks.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, how much clearance is there to the seat tube at full bottom out with the stock shock deflated?

mtbr member
    This thread needs more photos. LOLOL Happy New Years fellas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-7b614792-b981-47a6-9ab8-61274a69f764.jpg  

Hightower V2-11d8c5a0-9d66-4706-b2b9-44df8140702c.jpg  

Hightower V2-f19f5ff1-6d81-440c-81fd-1edb252661ec.jpg  

Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^^Looks goooooood.

Parts are starting to trickle in for my HT build. Currently torn between GX Eagle and XT 12 spd. Anyone running the XT 12 spd? How you liking it?
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have heard the XT 12 is smoother under tension shifting like when starting a climb. My Eagle gives off quite a loud chain jump noise if I am in the wrong gear for a climb and try a quick downshift w/o backing off the pedal. Sometimes sounds like a tooth was broke off.

I have XT on my 27.5 bike but it is 10 speed so not a good comparison, but it is a much more precise shift than I get with my Eagle.

Trail Rider
    I've been running XT 12 speed on my HT for about a month now. Always preferred Shimano, ran 11 spd XT most recently. Also have owned a bike with GX Eagle, and ridden X01.

Shimano 12 speed is the benchmark in drivetrains now. Not even close. I'm sure there are Sram fans out there that would vehemently disagree with this statement, but I speak from experience (bike mechanic for the last 25 years).

Not saying that Sram Eagle doesn't do its job, but it is a big performance upgrade from Sram Eagle/Shimano 11 speed.

Like someone else said on a different thread, Shimano may be late to the party, but they brought hot pizza and cold beer.

Hightower V2-20191206_144718-1-.jpg
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    I've been running XT 12 speed on my HT for about a month now. Always preferred Shimano, ran 11 spd XT most recently. Also have owned a bike with GX Eagle, and ridden X01.

Shimano 12 speed is the benchmark in drivetrains now. Not even close. I'm sure there are Sram fans out there that would vehemently disagree with this statement, but I speak from experience (bike mechanic for the last 25 years).

Not saying that Sram Eagle doesn't do its job, but it is a big performance upgrade from Sram Eagle/Shimano 11 speed.

Like someone else said on a different thread, Shimano may be late to the party, but they brought hot pizza and cold beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191206_144718(1).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	530.3 KB 
ID:	1302859
    Shimano were 3 years behind when Eagle launched, they are about to become the same once again.

Trail Rider
    Really?

Is it because Chris Hilton, who oversaw the introduction of XX1 1x systems, 12 speed Eagle and wireless AXS drivetrains, left Sram in October to join YT?

ooooh, let me guess....AXS brakes?!
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Shimano were 3 years behind when Eagle launched, they are about to become the same once again.
    Wishful thinking or do you have any evidence?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I picked up a MegNeg and am excited to get it installed. I'll let you know how it feels. Now I just have to decide if I should grab a couple of beers and tackle it myself or let my LBS do it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post
    I picked up a MegNeg and am excited to get it installed. I'll let you know how it feels. Now I just have to decide if I should grab a couple of beers and tackle it myself or let my LBS do it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    It's so incredibly easy to install that you'd be wasting your money to have your LBS do it. The only thing you might need is a strap wrench to loosen the can up... everything else is done with common tools and your hands. From the very start until the beginning, you'll be done within an hour, taking your sweet time.

Trail Rider
    This is a good step by step. I would mute it and provide your own soundtrack though...

https://youtu.be/XWkqYSAqY0I
    2020 SC Hightower

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty2019 View Post
    Wishful thinking or do you have any evidence?
    I have the same question as Frosty.

The fact that the guy who oversaw the development of ground-breaking MTB tech such as 1X, 12spd Eagle, and AXS (and yes, it was groundbreaking) left a Global company like SRAM for a direct to consumer bike brand leads me to think that maybe there aren't any new innovative paradigm shifts on the horizon at SRAM to further propel mountain bike technology into the future, ready to annihilate and relegate Shimano's new system into the trash bin of history...

but I could be wrong.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    I just completed my megneg install man. I used the SRAM manual online and that video above. If I can do it, you can. Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's been hinted at a few times in this thread, but no one has yet to confirm this is happening successfully. We all just keep teasing and staring at each other. LOL Any other details from the conversation you can share?

I'm installing a megneg next week, so I may play around while I am dabbling and see how she looks.
    The rep said he heard it from his boss, making it sound like if anyone would know it was him. He said it doesn't affect the warranty either. Im pretty sold on it, and with a megneg I think it would amazing

mtbr member
    Clearance between tire (2.4 Rekon) and seat stay at full compression, photo as requested. (I'm sticking with 140 because its been crushing for me just how I like it). Also a pic of the megneg installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-img_2398.jpg  

Hightower V2-img_2409.jpg  

Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Apologies as I asked this before but I don't think I got an answer. What are people running for rebound?

I've tried so many different things that I'm kind of lost now.

My current settings:
    weight: 220lbs
    shock: 215 PSI (33ish % sag)
    LSC: 4 clicks from full open

Riding mostly Bay Area trails - Tamarancho, UC, Demo. Looking for a "glued to the ground" feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Clearance between tire (2.4 Rekon) and seat stay at full compression, photo as requested. (I'm sticking with 140 because its been crushing for me just how I like it). Also a pic of the megneg installed.

Whatís your weight and how many spacers are you running in the negative chamber?

mtbr member
    On Rebound:
    I was running three clicks from open at 178psi. Probably not gonna help you too much there man.

Megneg:
    Just based on other's feedback I put two in there to see how she feels, while removing the one and only spacer in the posi chamber. One of the main youtube videos (almost all of them seem to be Transition bikes with very linear curves) suggested starting with all of them, then removing all of them while conducting trial and error. Man, I dont have time for that and getting this shock on and off isnt the easiest. I am hoping this feels better than without it so I can feel like I accomplished something. My set up without it felt pretty damn dialed so for me...I am after small bump compliance. If it frustrates me, I will go back to the standard can, add a token and drop PSI. We'll see. Quite a few guys claiming this thing really works well.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone tried or just thinked about Mulleting HT2? in High setting could be a nice setup, or maybe too low BB?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tibowski View Post
    Anyone tried or just thinked about Mulleting HT2? in High setting could be a nice setup, or maybe too low BB?
    I wouldnít try that. Everything I have read/seen about mulleting a bike says that itís best done with a 27.5 bike specd with a larger front fork. If you do it to a 29er you drop the bb too low and you have too long of chain stays to really make a difference on the back end.

If you have a wheel, throw it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tibowski View Post
    I was thinking about this too. My plan was to throw a 2.6 tire on a rear 27.5 rim and set the chip to High. However, I'm still trying to figure out my 29" setup so the mullet experiment will have to wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    On Rebound:
    I was running three clicks from open at 178psi. Probably not gonna help you too much there man.
    This does provide some data. Thanks!

mtbr member
    First ride on the megneg with a shockwiz score of 92. Wow. I didn't expect to be this stoked. Trying to put it all in words because its definitely a lot of "feel" but I'll get something together shortly for you guys. Can't disagree with most of what has already been posted.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what's the size of the megneg that fits on the HT2 super deluxe?

mtbr member
    A few posts up there is a picture of the box label with the correct sizing my man! Shows 47.5-55mm, but I am not at home to look at my shock.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone know the max seatpost insertion depth on a Large CC frame? Looks like that shock tunnel may get in the way of a 160mm Revive for my 31" inseam....

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone know the max seatpost insertion depth on a Large CC frame? Looks like that shock tunnel may get in the way of a 160mm Revive for my 31" inseam....
    Can't help with exact dimensions but the Large complete build comes with a 170 Reverb as standard that can be slammed.

I also have a slammed 185 Revive on my XL frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm running a 185 Revive in my size Large CC. I don't know what my inseam is but I'm 5'11" and the 185 is spot on.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone knows where to get the silver santacruz frame stickers (without a black edge) that match the lyrik silver stickers? Can't find them on invisiframe's site

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    Anyone knows where to get the silver santacruz frame stickers (without a black edge) that match the lyrik silver stickers? Can't find them on invisiframe's site
    Click custom order and ask for "foil"!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    A few posts up there is a picture of the box label with the correct sizing my man! Shows 47.5-55mm, but I am not at home to look at my shock.
    Yup; it synchs with what SC has posted in the "components" section of the HT page:
    Eye to Eye length 210mm
    Stroke 52.5mm

So when you see the different choices available, just make sure those 2 numbers are included.

bababooey!
    Jan 2020
    Greetings all,
    Looking into ordering the Fox Float 36 forks. Wondered if anyone could supply a part number of any kind for the options that fit the Hightower V2 in an XL?
    Was trying to look up the specs on SC site but it seems to be down at the moment. I've spent the last two days reading this thread here and there. I know I've most likely missed what I'm looking for so I apologize in Advance for my missed information.

Also, looking into the Renthal Fat Bar so I can get a little bit of rise on the bars. Any headset combo recommendations?

Anywho, first post so Ill leave a review of my steed.
    I have to add my two cents as far as the HT V2 goes. I scoured the web for the beafiest sounding bike that can still tote my ass up a hill or two. I was leaning towards the MT but most reviews said she shines most if you are more of a shuttle kind of guy. So I went with the HT V2 in an XL in the Desert Tan. I'm 6'3" 190 without gear. I went against my local root rule and I ordered mine from Mike's Bikes during their Christmas sale and must say the Gold Assembly offering was awesome. Being a Caterpillar mechanic, I went over all the work of an unknown bicycle mechanic to check the trustworthy-ness. I did find a couple loose bolts and nuts. But nothing worth complaining over.
    First ride impression: Climbing on this bike was like no other all-mountain bike I've ever ridden. I came off of an Iron Horse 6Point4, so I'm kind of in the dark to try and compare it to anything of recent ages. I experienced a minor amount of front wheel bob when I wasn't concentrating climbing up a half pipe shape sort of trail. I am able to stay in the saddle a lot more when climbing technical rocky areas and can pretty much point and go.
    The decent was what I really got this bike for and I can't say a single negative thing about my experience throughout the decent. Very rocky and technical, some at rather high speed where other bikes are super loud, this was very quiet. The bike was very nimble and responsive, it doesn't bounce around making incredibly easy to maintain your line at speed. I did notice some pedal strikes but I do have it in the Low setting and I have shimano DT pedals on it for now. (until I choose a pedal color based on the color scheme I choose) Overall a great ride up and down the mountain and 10/10 would recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to customize mine and post her up!

Oh, I also took it to San Juan Creek and it absolutely amazed me coming down, the switchbacks were very rough after the rains and I was able to carry momentum around corners so well that i scraped the bottom fork tubes on numerous occasions. Not only does it handle high speed decent but it corners very well. I have yet to take to anything with big hits or drops yet. But will update if anything pops up. Thanks for all the help and info. so far guys! Happy Trails
    Last edited by racerzc; 1 Week Ago at 09:25 PM. Reason: To Maintain Proper English

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    https://www.invisiframe.co.uk/santa-...ut-decals.html

chose color: silver foil gloss

mtbr member

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by racerzc View Post
    Greetings all,
    Looking into ordering the Fox Float 36 forks. Wondered if anyone could supply a part number of any kind for the options that fit the Hightower V2 in an XL?
    Was trying to look up the specs on SC site but it seems to be down at the moment. I've spent the last two days reading this thread here and there. I know I've most likely missed what I'm looking for so I apologize in Advance for my missed information.

Also, looking into the Renthal Fat Bar so I can get a little bit of rise on the bars. Any headset combo recommendations?

Anywho, first post so Ill leave a review of my steed.
    I have to add my two cents as far as the HT V2 goes. I scoured the web for the beafiest sounding bike that can still tote my ass up a hill or two. I was leaning towards the MT but most reviews said she shines most if you are more of a shuttle kind of guy. So I went with the HT V2 in an XL in the Desert Tan. I'm 6'3" 190 without gear. I went against my local root rule and I ordered mine from Mike's Bikes during their Christmas sale and must say the Gold Assembly offering was awesome. Being a Caterpillar mechanic, I went over all the work of an unknown bicycle mechanic to check the trustworthy-ness. I did find a couple loose bolts and nuts. But nothing worth complaining over.
    First ride impression: Climbing on this bike was like no other all-mountain bike I've ever ridden. I came off of an Iron Horse 6Point4, so I'm kind of in the dark to try and compare it to anything of recent ages. I experienced a minor amount of front wheel bob when I wasn't concentrating climbing up a half pipe shape sort of trail. I am able to stay in the saddle a lot more when climbing technical rocky areas and can pretty much point and go.
    The decent was what I really got this bike for and I can't say a single negative thing about my experience throughout the decent. Very rocky and technical, some at rather high speed where other bikes are super loud, this was very quiet. The bike was very nimble and responsive, it doesn't bounce around making incredibly easy to maintain your line at speed. I did notice some pedal strikes but I do have it in the Low setting and I have shimano DT pedals on it for now. (until I choose a pedal color based on the color scheme I choose) Overall a great ride up and down the mountain and 10/10 would recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to customize mine and post her up!

Oh, I also took it to San Juan Creek and it absolutely amazed me coming down, the switchbacks were very rough after the rains and I was able to carry momentum around corners so well that i scraped the bottom fork tubes on numerous occasions. Not only does it handle high speed decent but it corners very well. I have yet to take to anything with big hits or drops yet. But will update if anything pops up. Thanks for all the help and info. so far guys! Happy Trails
    you want a factory, performance? fit4, grip2? you need to be a bit more specifc about fork, but in the end to keep as close as possible to the oem lyrik you want a 150mm / 44 offset. if you you want their high end grip2 I think you have to buy a 160mm and then decide if you want to keep or replace the air shaft to 150mm because I think there is no 150mm/grip2.

Iíve been using a Chris King Dropset (1 or 3 will work) headset and itís been perfect, but itís a little tricky to get the griplock to sit perfectly the way it should, but Iíd definitely buy again!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    oooh tricky, its a different place thank you!

bababooey!
    Jan 2020

Hey now

Thank you, I realized I didnít specify that Iíd like the new Grip2 Fox Float set. I think I found what I was looking for. I had just found a set for 400 and panicked that Iíd need to buy before it was gone, but unfortunately it wound up being the old modeL
    Thanks for the headset suggestions, being a moto guy I MUST have renthal bars

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thank you, I realized I didnít specify that Iíd like the new Grip2 Fox Float set. I think I found what I was looking for. I had just found a set for 400 and panicked that Iíd need to buy before it was gone, but unfortunately it wound up being the old modeL
    Thanks for the headset suggestions, being a moto guy I MUST have renthal bars
    I bought the Factory 150: 36 FLOAT 29 150 FIT4 Factory, black Fox Code 910-20-705

I'm effectively the same size as you and have the Fatbar and King dropset 3. Great stuff. I've had a few King sets and key to getting the GripLock to go for me was a touch of grease of the bearing surfaces that contact; they can be a bit grabby if not and then don't quite settle properly when setting preload.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Has anyone tried both high and low settings? Care to share your experience with how the super deluxe feels? I am having my lbs install a 160 air shaft and 170mm carbon cranks to help with pedal strikes on my XL (high setting) and wondering if I should just keep in in high or if low makes the shock ramp up or make it more progressive? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Have not tried both. I just run the low setting which is recommended by SC. There is an article on the Megatower Suspension on PB where they suggest running in high setting and not to much SAG. But the MT is more progressive so low is fine i think with the Hightower. I have 175 Cranks in low but not too many rocks in my area. It has been fine so far. 170 and low setting will be no Problem. The RS Deluxe is great but i never tried Fox so what do I know. Feels super supple due to the Bearing in lower shock mount.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Theres a bunch of posts in this thread about low vs high setting.

TLDR: high is more "poppy" but also more likely to bottom out. Slightly higher up.
    low is more progressive, less "pop", less likely to bottom out.

Because of this many have installed the MegNeg on the super deluxe, which achieves the same "poppy" feeling on high, but without bottoming out as easily. Note that I only feel the difference going downhill, not up. I felt the low vs high setting was much more interesting than on the original HT.

I end up using the low setting for more aggressive trails ("enduro"), and high for easier trails because its more fun ("trail")

Finally, the super deluxe feels super smooth to me, even smoother with megneg, either are much smoother/better than my fox float dps on the original HT and the suspension works better in all conditions (pedaling, mid stroke, drops, everything).
    Have not tried a DPX2 on the HT2, but I did read that the DPX2 was "better" unless you installed the megneg. Take that with a grain of salt, i dont even remember where i saw this - but I'm guessing its true.

Of course, your own mileage will vary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Has anybody tried a Cane Creek DB inline coil shock? Experiences?
    Is the progression of the frame suitable for a coil?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    According to the Linkage Design website, the leverage progression is a straight line from 3.06-2.32, which is around 30%. Should be plenty of progression to run a coil.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hightower V2-img_2487.jpg

Took this home today. My new buddy bike which I own for all my friends to ride.

Neighborhood Rider
    Jul 2015
    Bike shop in SoCal said these guys have been on backorder, anybody know when they'll be back in stock?? Or is that a bike shop specific thing?? (Specifically Aluminum R build, but I don't think they have any in the shop rn)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JA15 View Post
    Bike shop in SoCal said these guys have been on backorder, anybody know when they'll be back in stock?? Or is that a bike shop specific thing?? (Specifically Aluminum R build, but I don't think they have any in the shop rn)
    what color? quick search and I found a Blue M online ready to ship.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Path bike shop in Tustin usually has them in stock, if not the owner Tani seems to get them quickly regardless. Good luck with the hunt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

New question here.

Here some detail info regarding ck threadfit and sram dub bb that I wish I had before

Clearance is definitely more on the safer side, I still want to check the sram bb in the hi position and compare that with the ck in the low position

ck bb is 50.55mm diameter and sram dub is 45.60 so almost 5mm difference which would result in ~2.5mm in clearance with the swing arm
    Great info thanks. I'm planning a HT v2 build myself and was planning to use a CK BB. I'm now looking for alternatives such as Wheels Manufacturing, Hope, Rotor or Kogel. I'm not sure what the diameters of these BB's are and whether they would have a similar clearance issue?

What are others using other than RF and SRAM.

Cheers

bababooey!
    Jan 2020
    I think Jenson in Corona has a Medium or Large in the Desert Brown. I forget if it was Carbon or Aluminum though

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Good job!

I did some digging around and some other 46mm OD BB's same as the SRAM DUB and Race Face Cinch are the Rotor BSA30 and Kogel BSA30. These all use the Park Tool BBT-79 socket.

Also the Wheels Manufacturing BSA30 BB may work, it has a 48.5mm OD (same as Shimano BB's) and uses a proprietary tool.

I will keep looking there might be more out there.

bababooey!
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Just placed an order for a CC frame with my LBS.

In the meantime, I'm trying to source a 150mm Lyric Ultimate in Black.
    Are these impossible to locate online? I can only find either Red or 160mm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Not sure if you've made any progress. But FYI, I'll have a black Lyrik 150mm for sale in a week or two! I will actually have the 160mm upgrade as well if you'd be interested. I only have 3 rides on mine.

I have the 2020 Fox Float 36, Factory Kashima, 29", GRIP2, 15x110, Shiny Orange coming in the mail. Hoping I chose the correct fitment.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Not sure if you've made any progress. But FYI, I'll have a black Lyrik 150mm for sale in a week or two! I will actually have the 160mm upgrade as well if you'd be interested. I only have 3 rides on mine.

I have the 2020 Fox Float 36, Factory Kashima, 29", GRIP2, 15x110, Shiny Orange coming in the mail. Hoping I chose the correct fitment.
    Thank you for the offer, but I bought a 160mm Lyrik/Ultimate last month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Has anyone tried a 210mm Reverb or One-Up dropper in a large frame? Can it be "slammed" in the frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagesforsegways View Post
    Has anyone tried a 210mm Reverb or One-Up dropper in a large frame? Can it be "slammed" in the frame?
    I can only talk for AL version, my large can exactly slam a 180 oneup, nothing more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagesforsegways View Post
    I actually just checked this on a demo Large CC frame this past weekend. A 175mm V2 Reverb Stealth can be almost slammed with about 2mm showing. So a 210mm Reverb definitely cannot be slammed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lzmtbkr View Post
    I can only talk for AL version, my large can exactly slam a 180 oneup, nothing more.
    A related question is, at full bottom out, does the rear wheel come close to the slammed saddle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Speaking of slammed saddles and bottom out, I experienced something that has not happened to me before. I got my butt buzzed pretty good by the rear wheel on a drop that was not that big. The HT is my first 29er, never happened on my 27.5. Anyone else experience this? Got my attention big time, glad I had the lower profile knobs on the Aggressor instead of the DHR II, that might cause some damage if you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastline View Post
    Speaking of slammed saddles and bottom out, I experienced something that has not happened to me before. I got my butt buzzed pretty good by the rear wheel on a drop that was not that big. The HT is my first 29er, never happened on my 27.5. Anyone else experience this? Got my attention big time, glad I had the lower profile knobs on the Aggressor instead of the DHR II, that might cause some damage if you know what I mean.

Haha I know what you mean. I used to buzz the biffin quite a bit on my HT V1, but I haven't done it on the HT2. I feel its due to the extra length (of the bike) and the slacker HTA, I am more centred on the bike. I don't feel the need to hang off the bike as much on steep drops etc.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the 29ner club man. LOL I have a 29.5 inseam so trust me, I know the feeling but this isn't outside of the ordinary every once in a while. Take a look at the shorts of these WC DH riders after a few runs on the steeps with 29's. Tire tracks all over the place.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Meh...
    I buzz my crack all the time on my 27.5 DH bike. Maybe tweak your thinking that it's you getting after it vs it's something not right...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry if this has been hashed out already, but what's the consensus on running a 51 offset fork on the new HT V2? I may be getting an XL HT V2 and have a 2017 Fox Fit4 160 with 51 offset that I'd like to use.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    Sorry if this has been hashed out already, but what's the consensus on running a 51 offset fork on the new HT V2? I may be getting an XL HT V2 and have a 2017 Fox Fit4 160 with 51 offset that I'd like to use.

Thanks.
    Not sure about running a 51 offset, haven't tried. But you can buy a reduced offset CSU for the 36 from WW Cyclery for $275 (with the black stanchions). This is what I wound up doing to bring my grip2 36 from my V1 to the V2.

bababooey!
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sdt0012 View Post
    Not sure about running a 51 offset, haven't tried.
    I think I read a few posts prior about someone getting the Grip2 160mm with a 51mm offset.

But wouldn't that make BB closer to contact with ground? Would running Flip in High compensate, therefore elongating travel equally between front and rear?
    Last edited by racerzc; 3 Days Ago at 12:28 PM. Reason: clarity
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I sent a message to Santa Cruz in which I asked whether a CaneCreek DB IL Coil shock would work / is recommended in the Hightower V2.
    This is the answer I got from SC.

"Thanks for reaching out and those are all great questions. I've spoken with our engineers about this and they have told me that the Hightower V2 is not coil shock compatible. I have seen people do it, however, I've been told that it rubs the paint on the inside of the shock tunnel and I would imagine it would void the warranty. In addition to clearance issues, the leverage curve is regressive at the end of the stroke to offset the progressivity of an air shock. That would lead to some harsh bottom outs. If you're going to run any coil, and again, we wouldn't recommend that you do, I'd recommend a progressive spring.

Best,"

Matt Conn | Rider Support
    2841 Mission Street
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobionassis View Post
    I sent a message to Santa Cruz in which I asked whether a CaneCreek DB IL Coil shock would work / is recommended in the Hightower V2.

"Thanks for reaching out and those are all great questions. I've spoken with our engineers about this and they have told me that the Hightower V2 is not coil shock compatible. I have seen people do it, however, I've been told that it rubs the paint on the inside of the shock tunnel and I would imagine it would void the warranty. In addition to clearance issues, the leverage curve is regressive at the end of the stroke to offset the progressivity of an air shock. That would lead to some harsh bottom outs. If you're going to run any coil, and again, we wouldn't recommend that you do, I'd recommend a progressive spring.

Best,"

2841 Mission Street
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    You should also ask Cane Creek. I know, the TB V4 shock tunnel is few mm wider than HT V2 though...
    I got this answer when I asked about the Tallboy V4 and DB IL Coil.

"The DBcoil IL would be great for that bike. And I'm not just saying that because it's the only shock we have that fits it, but it actually is a very*progressive leverage curve*so it is a perfect candidate*for a coil.

As for over-stroking it, we don't have any official confirmation from Santa Cruz and we don't promote using unconfirmed shock sizes. That said, if you went 190x50 you would add 13mm of travel. But conveniently enough, you can actually have both stroke lengths. The 45mm variant is just a 190x50 with a 5mm stoke reducer clip that sits under the bottom out bumper. So order the 190x45, pop that clip off, mount up the shock without a spring on it and you can check for clearance with that longer stroke. If it doesn't work, pop the clip back on and run it as a 45mm."

I will be running a longer stroke shock on my TB4, making it 134mm rear. There is enough clearance for it. Just an idea for those who wanted the HT to stay at 135mm

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tobionassis View Post

Best,"

2841 Mission Street
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    Here's the Hightower leverage curve. Doesn't look to have any regression in its stroke.
    Name:  Santa Cruz Hightower LP 2020_LevRatio.gif
Views: 66
Size:  49.8 KB

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If anyone in SoCal is interested in a new Large Blue XO1 CC message me.

mtbr member
    It was me that is running the 51mm offset. The fork is off of my 2018 HTLT, and I threw the Grip 2 in it. Size medium though. I guess its one of those ďyou donít know, what you donít knowĒ things, because the bike absolutely rips. I havenít had any geo issues and I am running my OG 175mm cranks. Whatever works man....
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Removed - answered my own question, can't delete the attachment, sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-rs-edit-2.jpg  

bababooey!
    Jan 2020
    deleted for being dumb
    Last edited by racerzc; 2 Days Ago at 03:51 PM.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Thanks chuch, thatís +9mm to the original offset. If I go off my Lyrik fork, but I have an XL C frame.

Greater offset: More stability at speed, less nimbleness throughout berms and cornering etc...
    This is incorrect. You gain stability at speed with shorter offset forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JA15 View Post
    Not sure about backorder, but my LBS has had major problems contacting SC as apparently their dealer portal is down for maintenance for an extended period so I imagine most dealers are struggling to get any info from SC re inventory and orders right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For those of you who have installed MegNeg, it'd be great to hear how people are going? Are you enjoying it and what configuration have you settled on.

I'm currently running zero positive tokens (I ran 2 tokens with debonair can) and yesterday I tried 4 bands in the negative chamber which I quite liked. I tried 3 bands before that. I went to 4 bands to see if it would use full travel easier. But I found that my initial pressure didn't change much between 3 and 4 bands to achieve sag so bottom out was relatively unchanged.

I did feel that 4 bands is more 'poppy' and three bands is more 'groundhuggy' to use a Bike Mag term. My pressure has gone up from 190psi to 220psi (222psi with 3 bands) at 30% sag. My weight is 78kg (172 libs for the yanks).

The HT linkage certainly feels progressive. Even with zero positive tokens I only manage to achieve full compression off pretty long jumps to flat. When I ride trails where I used to always use full travel, I'm now seeing a good chunk of travel unused. It's quite an adjustment to get your head around. Even though I'm not using as much travel, the bike feels smooth, it's definitely keeping its shape in corners and g-outs better, I find pumping generates more speed. It feels quicker over rocks, it seems to get hung up less.

I do think that MegNeg has taken a slight edge off the HT climbing ability, I noticing a tiny bit of extra pedal bob when seated pedalling.

Overall though, there is a lot to like about the supportive mid-stroke and smooth composure. I'm looking forward to more riding and experimenting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thinking about doing a custom 2020 Hightower build. Anything I'm missing? Critiques?

Hightower V2-hightower.png

Wheels are narrow at 23mm internal, but I already own them.
    Not sure if Dissector is a good front tire, might go w/ DHR II instead.

Frame price is 5% off plus tax and shipping. Rest is online prices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by balake777 View Post
    Thinking about doing a custom 2020 Hightower build. Anything I'm missing? Critiques?

Name:	Hightower.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	1305643

Brake mount adapters - careful with that front one too, not sure how a standard SRAM one will go with a 203mm rotor - you may need to shim it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I went full XT too after using SRAM for years. Can't wait to get it going.

Has anyone put the 2.4 WT Maxxis on their HT? I was going to go that route and was curious about rear chainstay clearance.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You should be GOOD VTSession.
    I'm using a 2.4WT / 30mm rim on my OG Hightower without issue.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwun View Post
    For those of you who have installed MegNeg, it'd be great to hear how people are going? Are you enjoying it and what configuration have you settled on.

I'm currently running zero positive tokens (I ran 2 tokens with debonair can) and yesterday I tried 4 bands in the negative chamber which I quite liked. I tried 3 bands before that. I went to 4 bands to see if it would use full travel easier. But I found that my initial pressure didn't change much between 3 and 4 bands to achieve sag so bottom out was relatively unchanged.

I did feel that 4 bands is more 'poppy' and three bands is more 'groundhuggy' to use a Bike Mag term. My pressure has gone up from 190psi to 220psi (222psi with 3 bands) at 30% sag. My weight is 78kg (172 libs for the yanks).

The HT linkage certainly feels progressive. Even with zero positive tokens I only manage to achieve full compression off pretty long jumps to flat. When I ride trails where I used to always use full travel, I'm now seeing a good chunk of travel unused. It's quite an adjustment to get your head around. Even though I'm not using as much travel, the bike feels smooth, it's definitely keeping its shape in corners and g-outs better, I find pumping generates more speed. It feels quicker over rocks, it seems to get hung up less.

I do think that MegNeg has taken a slight edge off the HT climbing ability, I noticing a tiny bit of extra pedal bob when seated pedalling.

Overall though, there is a lot to like about the supportive mid-stroke and smooth composure. I'm looking forward to more riding and experimenting.
    Well, I owe a bit of a review myself. I am 178 nekked, probably another 10 kitted up, on a size medium. I went with zero spacers (removed the only single) in the positive chamber and 2 bands in the negative chamber.

Before:175psi After:245 (31 ish pct sag)

Interestingly enough the findings thus far are almost contradictory at points. Here are some things I notice with the change. It sits taller in its travel. Mid stroke support is higher thus prividing a way "poppier" vibe. I have better small bump comliance, and less chatter/harshness through out, bigger hits feel more bottomless and plusher, the bike feels more progressive, and the shock feels smoother. There also seems to be an almost imaginary feeling of the shock feeling damped in a higher quality fashion, if that makes any sense. It seems to have magically gotten better in nearly every direction.

I put the bike through some shuttle work this weekend and at times the rear end felt like it was hovering and it was the first time I had really ever felt that on the rear of a bike. In that top half of travel the bike is just really performing well all the way around with suppleness and traction galore. It's also sitting higher in that space so at 140mm it is better prepared for bigger hits. I was scoring about 88 on my shockwiz on three different runs, and mostly it was asking me to remove high speed compression, which I dont have a dial for. When I got into trouble or big chunky stuff, it made the 140mm rear end feel so damn good. (I'm comparing to an older Capra 27, 3 stumpies, and 2 HTLT's)

On climbing I am not experiencing any additional pedal bob, but the rear end is still extremely/more so active than before. The HT is FINALLY making roots and stuff disappear while climbing, very similarly to my old Horst link Stumpies. Very supple with more traction on the climb. Flat pedals feel almost XC ish. Again, more support, but more supple...somehow. Usually it seems I am tuning out one of those to get the other.

Overall, the Super Deluxe ultimate was pretty rad, but with this thing it really does change the bike. I guess I could mess with it a bit more, but after this weekend I am at the "screw it" phase......and I am THE tinkerer of my crew. That says a lot. If you are considering the $80 upgrade and any of the above sounds good to you, just do it.

I wish I had more time to put my thoughts together a bit more clearly for you guys, but if you have any specific questions, just say the word.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If anyone is interested in a Large Tan CC Build let me know. Currently built as an XX1 AXS Build but would be willing to replace whatever parts to make it more affordable or get you a deal on the way it is.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-img_1713.jpg  

Hightower V2-img_1715.jpg  

Hightower V2-img_1714.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    So I bought my Hightower back in October and noticed there is a thin film of what looks like oil on the shock stanchion occasionally. Is this normal? This is the first bike I have had that has rockshox suspension and didnít know if that was normal for the brand? Thanks for any information!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by N8USMC View Post
    So I bought my Hightower back in October and noticed there is a thin film of what looks like oil on the shock stanchion occasionally. Is this normal? This is the first bike I have had that has rockshox suspension and didnít know if that was normal for the brand? Thanks for any information!
    Thatís normal. Likely easier to see because it is new and black. If you get an actual droplet, then you need to open up the shock and replace the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Has anyone put the 2.4 WT Maxxis on their HT? I was going to go that route and was curious about rear chainstay clearance.
    dissector 2.4 on 30mm wheels and no issues

mtbr member

Looks great, why not go with the XT M8120 4 pot. brakes over the SRAM RSC?
    They actualy cost a little les too.
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well, I owe a bit of a review myself. I am 178 nekked, probably another 10 kitted up, on a size medium. I went with zero spacers (removed the only single) in the positive chamber and 2 bands in the negative chamber.

Before:175psi After:245 (31 ish pct sag)

i'm the same weight but size L, otherwise i'd echo pretty much the same feedback with the megneg installed, if that helps. Definitely have to go pretty high up in pressure compared to before for things to not feel sluggish. I also run 2 bands in the negative chamber.

mtbr member
    dissector 2.4 on 30mm wheels and no issues
    Can even go 2.5 Agressor with no issues as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Can even go 2.5 Agressor with no issues as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2.5" Agressor fits in the rear with zero rubbing?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567