Hightower V2 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hightower V2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toingtoing View Post
    I cracked my HT LT a while ago but I was still able to ride for several more months. I contacted SC immediately when the V2 came out a few weeks back and they were quick to send me the frame. I had the frame sitting for a minute waiting for the Lyrik to arrive. I sticker bomb the rear triangle bc it's okay to be different

Attachment 1272195

Attachment 1272197
    Nice!
    Was it a warranty replacement?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Nice!
    Was it a warranty replacement?
    Thanks. It's a crash replacement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Wait so if you ride an older model and it breaks they send you a new model? Danggggg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by borgomen View Post
    Wait so if you ride an older model and it breaks they send you a new model? Danggggg
    If they don't still have any of your older frame they do. When I got a big chip in the bb area of my bronson v2 , they still had v2 frames even though the v3 was out and wouldn't give me a v3 frame for a crash replacement but they offered me a v2 crash replacement at half the normal cost. Since I had a broken hand and couldn't ride anyways I just waited, and the next time I contacted them they were all out of v2 frames and offered me a v3 crash replacement but at full normal cr cost.

They also wouldn't let me pick a different model either time, I couldn't cr my v2 bronson and have them send me a HTLT frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Love the comments on this new rig. I'm likely waiting for the alloy frame and build one from scratch or get the s build. Concerns based on what I've seen and read are the seatpost and brakes, would rather have 35mm rims (loved them on the Ripmo and all others I've ridden), can only fit a 2.4s, and I've seen reports of rock damage where there's limited clearance at the center of the rear tire and lower link. Personally, I'd also like to have the new 12spd shimano since it can be shifted under power! I wish they were like other brands and gave you options on this stuff. For the Ibis, you can get NX, GX, SLX, XT, and on up. You can even get NX and a 36 Grip2 to save money and upgrade later. Those are nice options to have. Are we still hearing October for alloy HT2 frames?
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr super member
    For those interested to know, I picked up my carbon s build today that I ordered the week the bike was released and it came with the new 175mm C1 reverb.

Making a few changes before my first official ride but Iím stoked on the bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallak View Post
    Hi, if anyone is wondering, the DVO Topaz fits fine on the new Hightower v2. I have been using DVO's on my recent SC bikes and it works like a dream.
    What's the size of the shock on the Hightower v2? It may be me but I can't find this information anywhere.

I have a custom built v1 and I'm thinking about getting the new frame next year, and moving everything to the new bike. I'm not a lover of rockshox suspensions, my v1 has the missing link with a metric dpx2 at 210x55, wondering if the size on v2 is the same or I would need a new shock.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dellock View Post
    What's the size of the shock on the Hightower v2? It may be me but I can't find this information anywhere.

I have a custom built v1 and I'm thinking about getting the new frame next year, and moving everything to the new bike. I'm not a lover of rockshox suspensions, my v1 has the missing link with a metric dpx2 at 210x55, wondering if the size on v2 is the same or I would need a new shock.
    210x52.5mm

It could be the same shock as yours but with a travel reducing washer, that seems to be quite common practice but that would need to be confirmed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    210x52.5mm

It could be the same shock as yours but with a travel reducing washer, that seems to be quite common practice but that would need to be confirmed.
    Thanks!
    At least now I can check if mine can be shortened.

Luca

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks!
    At least now I can check if mine can be shortened.

Luca
    If your current shock is 210x55, it can absolutely be reduced to 210x52.5 by any capable suspension tech.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Or maybe check first if the Hightower is capable of running the extra travel before reducing the travel on the shock? If there's no tyre rub or any other clearance issues you'll be the first to long shock the bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    anybody ever shopped at mikeís bike? I havenít called but seems like they might be offering deals on the new bikes!

anybody able to buy for less than msrp?
    Because they had XXL and my 2 local SC dealers could not get one for more than a month, I bought mine from Mikes. While I am very much in the BUY LOCAL camp, this was amazing. They basically rebuilt the bike and then repackaged for shipping in 24 hrs. I put the front when and bars on and rode the back after a few safety checks.

What I missed the the chance to have the SHITTY SRAM brakes exchanged for XTs and maybe a tire swap but that is not reflective of Mikes.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'd maybe ride the new Super Deluxe before you set your minding to swapping for a DPX2. I haven't always been a fan of RS shocks, but it really works on this bike.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    How do you like the 8020s? How is it next to the shifter? Are you using a single mount?
    Love the brakes but the finned brake pads are super rattly. Replacing with non finned pads today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffard View Post
    For those interested to know, I picked up my carbon s build today that I ordered the week the bike was released and it came with the new 175mm C1 reverb.

Making a few changes before my first official ride but Iím stoked on the bike!
    I can confirm this as well, got the newly designed reverb. Huge improvement over the old one although mine has a few mm of twist play. Not sure if that's by design (my old Specialized dropper was the same) and it doesn't affect ride-ability at all. One thing I noticed is that you need to make sure not to clamp it too tight or it will start creaking. About 6 N.m. seems just right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I'd maybe ride the new Super Deluxe before you set your minding to swapping for a DPX2. I haven't always been a fan of RS shocks, but it really works on this bike.
    I agree with this, I didn't really like the megatower with the superdeluxe and was nervous how the hightower would feel but once I got on the hightower demo bike, I realized that the superdeluxe works great.

Although I have ridden bikes with a variety of shocks (DPS, X2, DPX2, etc.), I am hardly an expert on different shocks. Still, I don't see a reason to upgrade the superdeluxe on my bike so far.

Same with the rest of the components on my bike, I am used to fox forks and was disappointed that it was going to have a RS fork but I too am very happy with the lyric. Same with brakes, I still need to get them dialed in but I can't see spending money to replace them with shimano or anything like that. Even wheels, I am used to I9's but I haven't found any reason to go run and swap my raceface rim/dt hub wheels for something else as they are working fine.

Basically, there were a lot of uncertainties about the new hightower but once I got it I have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks everyone for the comments on the shock.

I'm not planning to replace everything, just the shock. Since I built my OGHT with every custom component (Selva S fork, DPX2, Shimano Zee, Reserve wheels, and other components) I was thinking, not even planning at this stage, to get again just the frame and just move all the components.

This would also mean to give up the Mango Hightower, which is a bike and a color I love.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Love the brakes but the finned brake pads are super rattly. Replacing with non finned pads today.
    Just took them on their first real ride - they seem to have quieted down - maybe the pistons needed to be broken in a bit and find their place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Interesting to compare weights of my HTLT cc Large to my wifeís Medium Maverick c.

There are a few component differences.
    Xx1 11spd vs gx 12
    Assegai/dissector vs DHR2
    Fox36 factory vs Lyric Select +
    Dpx2 vs Superdeluxe
    Carbon SC bars vs Alloy Raceface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Those differences in kit listed might account for about 1/2 kg of the extra weight? 300g for GX, 200g tyres, 100g bars, fork and shock similar weights. Canít see the frame being 800g heavier - brakes, wheels, seatpost & saddle probably round out the numbers. 14kg is up there for a premium medium build but if itís not noticeable under pedal, who cares right?🙂

Have you had a spin on the wifeís bike yet and can you give us an honest comparison of it versus the LT?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by stock.man View Post

Have you had a spin on the wifeís bike yet and can you give us an honest comparison of it versus the LT?
    Not a long ride, but we have a little test track nearby I had a quick blast on. Itís poppy. Way more than the LT. Manuals easier and also feels very plush. Feels more like the V2 Bronson I demoed before buying the HTLT. Just more flickable & playful so far.

I really want to get it on a long rowdy descent though to see how it really handles though.

Itís definitely too short for me, at 178cm tall Iím only just over the 165-175 range of the medium. So for anyone not sure donít second guess the recommended sizing.
    That said itís not unrideable just cramped. A longer stem might be a solution but not the best Iím sure.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sure wish they offered that color in the men's version. Looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogvet View Post
    How does it compare with the Nomad 4?
    Thanks
    Have owned the Nomad V4 for almost a year, and picked up my new HT2 Friday. Have about 25 miles on the HT2 now and have climbed tech, ridden double black single track, and took it to the DH park yesterday for greens/blues/blacks/and high elevation single track.

Not enough time to give a full on comparison but the HT2 picked up SO much more speed at the DH park on the straights. Like scary speed. I've ridden the Nomad V4 at the DH park with air and coil and the HT2 wasn't far behind, if at all, in terms of comfort over braking bumps. The Nomad feels a bit more planted, while the HT2 feels lighter on its feet (they weigh within a 1/2 lb of each other).

Going to take the HT2 out on some more single track today like Kokopelli or high elevation mountain trails (tough making riding decisions when living in the epicenter of MTB heaven), but the HT2 had me considering selling the Nomad for a second yesterday - something I didn't plan on or expect AT ALL. Along with the Nomad, the HT2 ranks up there as one of the best bikes I've ever ridden (for my trails, of course).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, put a deposit down and ordered a carbon s build today. Took me forever to decide and like 6 different demo bikes. Should be awesome. It was down to this or the ripmo. Liked the ripmo's build kits better but the hightower should have the better ride (based on my Bronson experience) so SC it is. Parts can be swapped later if they give me issues. The outgoing bike is a 2012 Transition so this will be a huge improvement!
    Last edited by sfr4dr; 08-18-2019 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I was going to wait on the new Hightower, but I am a liar so I didnít.

I picked up a large carbon S build and swapped out the following parts:
    Santa Cruz Carbon 780 bars with turbine stem
    Next R cranks (though the stock cranks were pretty light)
    Reynolds TR309 wheels

Weight was at 31.22 lbs stock with carbon wheels. 30.8 lbs with the carbon wheels and bar/stem upgrade. 30.6 lbs with the cranks swapped. (without pedals)

Did a 13 mile ride this morning. It was an XC ride with rough, chunky rocks, rolling hills, and a little buff single track. I had demoed the HT2 in Whistler, but itís hard to compare to my OGHT when I was unfamiliar with of the trails. On trails Iíve ridden 60-70 times I got a good feel for the new bike.

Overall I was extremely impressed, the bike was very efficient, stable, playful, and confidence inspiring.

The two things that impressed me the most were the tech climbing and the fact that my back didnít hurt at all, when it generally does after hard pedaling.

I loved the DHR2s front and rear. There is nothing my OGHT does better than this bike. Before I got the new one out I was a little hesitant to want to sell my OG. After my ride I want to throw it in the trash. Also, the new bike made me consider selling my Tallboy3 also. The new geometry is that good.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-bf0f0592-1357-4da8-8c96-94f06bcb22b1.jpg  

Hightower V2-66e5b63f-c0c0-4844-911d-9a52fd811485.jpg  

2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member

Hightower v2 X01 Reserve build weights

When I got home with my HTv2 CC X01 build with Reserve wheels (size large) I weighed it right away:

It came to 13.59kg (30lbs) without pedals or any thing added.

After I added Sixpack Vertic pedals, Garmin Edge 130, K-Edge Garmin mount, Spec. Z-Cage with multi tool, Spec. 26oz water bottle (Empty), MarshGuard mud guard, DYEDBRO complete frame protection, RF crank boots and swapped out the WTB saddle for my Spec. Phenom Comp. and Pamdale grips for Ergon GA2 Fat grips it came up to 14.56kg (32lbs).

Quite a bit more than my HTv1 S build (13.18kg - 29lbs) minus garmin, multi tool and water bottle and my pride and joy custom build 2019 Stumpjumper (12.49kg - 27.5lbs with pedals but empty SWAT Box).

I can definitely feel the extra weigh compared to my Stumpjumper... I only have 3 rides on it so far and still getting it dialed in... I will give a comparison of the three bikes later after a couple races and bike park time. (end of September)

Hightower V2-img_6981.jpg

Hightower V2-img_7009.jpg
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Walked in to The Path yesterday to check out sizing and finally see one in person... and I walked out with an XL CC X01 build in Desert/Orange. Should be getting it in the dirt here in a few days, but it felt incredible in the parking lot and ripping around the neighborhood. The suspension feel off the top is way better than any of the upper link configuration VPPs I've ridden.

I also wanted to put in a plug for The Path in Tustin, CA. A truly great shop, and even though they are an hour away for me, I'm very happy to continue to give them my business for the quality of bike-buying experience they offer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Walked in to The Path yesterday to check out sizing and finally see one in person... and I walked out with an XL CC X01 build in Desert/Orange. Should be getting it in the dirt here in a few days, but it felt incredible in the parking lot and ripping around the neighborhood. The suspension feel off the top is way better than any of the upper link configuration VPPs I've ridden.

I also wanted to put in a plug for The Path in Tustin, CA. A truly great shop, and even though they are an hour away for me, I'm very happy to continue to give them my business for the quality of bike-buying experience they offer.
    And a kick ass podcast to boot

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Walked in to The Path yesterday to check out sizing and finally see one in person... and I walked out with an XL CC X01 build in Desert/Orange.
    That's my idea of a shopping trip. Well played.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Does anybody know if you can fully insert the 150 dropper on the medium?
    TREK SLASH 8
    SANTA CRUZ CHAMELEON
    CANNONDALE TOPSTONE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Iíd think so, donít know exactly but based on pinkbike juliana reciew where she said she fit confortably on a M with a 170 dropper and 27Ē inseam, my guess was that you can fully insert the 150 mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks everyone for the comments on the shock.

I'm not planning to replace everything, just the shock. Since I built my OGHT with every custom component (Selva S fork, DPX2, Shimano Zee, Reserve wheels, and other components) I was thinking, not even planning at this stage, to get again just the frame and just move all the components.

This would also mean to give up the Mango Hightower, which is a bike and a color I love.
    Probably won't ride as well since I believe the new HT uses a custom spec L/L tune with lower bearings. Unless u wanna pony up couple hundred just to retune a dpx2 and then reduce travel to 52.5 or goodluck finding L tune dpx2 on pinkbike, plus buy new front and rear bushings to fit the frame.

but, 210x55 dpx2 should be same as 210x52.5 sans 2.5mm spacer , also you can just run the 55mm and and see if you get interference on the tire or triangle. if it does you could put in volume reducers make it harder to get to the last 2.5mm

all this trouble, might as well just run the SuperDeluxe, honestly. smh, lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by accuracy View Post
    Probably won't ride as well since I believe the new HT uses a custom spec L/L tune with lower bearings. Unless u wanna pony up couple hundred just to retune a dpx2 and then reduce travel to 52.5 or goodluck finding L tune dpx2 on pinkbike, plus buy new front and rear bushings to fit the frame.

but, 210x55 dpx2 should be same as 210x52.5 sans 2.5mm spacer , also you can just run the 55mm and and see if you get interference on the tire or triangle. if it does you could put in volume reducers make it harder to get to the last 2.5mm

all this trouble, might as well just run the SuperDeluxe, honestly. smh, lol.
    Well, "IF" (huge IF) I go for the new frame, for sure at first I'll just try the stock shock. I was just checking because I cound't find the info about the shock size.

Forgive my ignorance, what's the meaning of L/L?

PS: I live in Italy, as much as I love the amount of nice deals that I see in the pb marketplace, there's nothing in my region. lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Forgive my ignorance, what's the meaning of L/L?
    light rebound / light compression .

I believe this was done to improve small bump compliance on the HT2 , but i'm no suspension wiz or anything. just from what i've browsed thru the internet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by accuracy View Post
    light rebound / light compression .

I believe this was done to improve small bump compliance on the HT2 , but i'm no suspension wiz or anything. just from what i've browsed thru the internet.
    Ah ok got it. I'm not an expert either, I just rotate some levers and see if I like the setting lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Howís the L/L tune for bigger riders? Iím currently about 210 ready to ride. Ready to build up a mid travel 29er and looking at either the new ht, the sb130 or a ripmo.

I can demo the latter two but unfortunately all the sc dealers near me have confirmed they wonít have a ht2 in their demo fleets this season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm in the same boat. Except I'm 230 lbs riding. Anyone please chime in. I had Giant Trance 2 9 recently with Fox DPS and had to go well above 300 psi for correct sag. Found that the rebound was pushed to limits with this - way too fast at slowest setting. Really don't want to fork over a lot of money for a great bike with inferior shock for my weight.

mtbr member
    210 kitted and shock is set to 240psi with LSC about middle and same for rebound. - could go lower if I want but prefer a firmer ride vs. what I feel at 33 percent sag.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Got my frame 3 weeks earlier than SC said it would be! Sheís all built up, ready to party! 29.76 pounds with my candy pedals. Canít wait to get this thing out!

mtbr member
    Iíd think so, donít know exactly but based on pinkbike juliana reciew where she said she fit confortably on a M with a 170 dropper and 27Ē inseam, my guess was that you can fully insert the 150 mm
    definitely fit, you can put a 150 slammed down and there is clearance between tire and saddle at full compression, this was with a reverb axs, tire gets pretty close to the battery but still 10mm or so Iíd think!

I have no clue how the pinkbike reviewer said she could fit a 170 on a M with 27Ē inseam, 170 wouldnít work me and Iím 29Ē inseam on a bad day, demo bike had 175mm cranks but Iíd still need to clear another 15mm or so... I will measure tomorrow before I return the bike the max insertion on the M frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    Got my frame 3 weeks earlier than SC said it would be! Sheís all built up, ready to party! 29.76 pounds with my candy pedals. Canít wait to get this thing out!

Looks great with that Pike and the RF bars
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I actually realized another issue in eventually migrating to the v2 frame: the head tube. The v2 frame has 130mm, while my v1 has 100mm. I didn't check how much tube I have in excess in my Selva fork, but I remember we cut the steerer tube "as needed" without thinking about leaving some extra.

Out of curiosity, I went and check similar bikes, noone is even close to the new Hightower: Sentinel and Ripmo are 110, Foxy 29 is 100. Maybe there's a reason for such an increase in the size?

EDIT: I've been confused by geometrygeeks site, they had the measures wrong, 130mm is the XL, the L is 110, so only 1cm more than the v1. It may not be a big problem.
    Last edited by dellock; 08-23-2019 at 05:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    definitely fit, you can put a 150 slammed down and there is clearance between tire and saddle at full compression, this was with a reverb axs, tire gets pretty close to the battery but still 10mm or so Iíd think!

I have no clue how the pinkbike reviewer said she could fit a 170 on a M with 27Ē inseam, 170 wouldnít work me and Iím 29Ē inseam on a bad day, demo bike had 175mm cranks but Iíd still need to clear another 15mm or so... I will measure tomorrow before I return the bike the max insertion on the M frame
    This was on Brittany Phelans Roubion... she has the same post on the maverick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on this bike for bigger riders? Around 270lbs with gear.

any help would be appreciated.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by bermymiyan View Post
    Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on this bike for bigger riders? Around 270lbs with gear.

any help would be appreciated.
    There is someone on here about your weight riding one and loves it. There is also a thread about this on the Clydesdale forum.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Lot to read here, so apologies if these questions have been answered.

Anyone had this bike in the bike park yet? Also, has anyone overforked one yet? 160 maybe?

I'm really interested in the hightower but am a little worried i may end up being underbiked for some of the riding I do. Coming from 2019 patrol, which i absolutely love, but has been the loudest bike I've ever owned. Constantly taking it apart to try and keep the creaks and squeaks down, but they just keep constantly coming back and its driving me insane riding it.

Megatower is probably more in line with bikes I've owned in the past, but from what I've read it just sounds like a lot of bike, that isnt particularly the fastest or particularly the most fun. HT seems like it will be more fun, and ok for most the local stuff I ride (big bear, skypark, simi valley, greer ranch, mt wilson for any LA area folks) but I also travel a lot. Did 3 weeks in colorado this year, a week of which was at winter park, going to whistler next month. Morzine last year, etc.

Always been a 1 bike kinda guy and just deal with being overbiked most the time. I'm small 5'9 130 lbs so I feel like maybe I can get away with the HT with a 160 fork in bike park or enduro race situations, but I just dont see many people riding this bike in those situations yet, so I'm not sure. Oh I also love jumplines and big ones at that. Done crab apple hits, and all the big stuff at coast gravity. I'm pretty smooth and light like I said, and come from a bmx background, but a little worried the 140 travel in the rear wont be enough for these big hits.

Sorry for rambling, but thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Santa Cruz does say you can run a 160 fork on it so that's no problem. Otherwise it's a classic case of you being between bikes for your intended use. Got to pick between being overbiked half the time or underbiked half the time. You're lightweight but hitting big jumps so that keeps you between bikes as well. I'm in the same boat except I weigh about 175 and live and ride in Truckee/North Lake Tahoe. I don't hit the big jumps, don't shuttle a lot and don't ride Northstar so leaned towards the HT. It's on order and still contemplating swapping it for the Ripmo. I do ride everything else and will hit gapped jumps up to several bike lengths. I wish they made the new HT 150/150 travel with a 160 fork option. Now that would make it perfect for us in between. Keep in mind, there's pro enduro racers on Ripmos and they're only 145/160. That wouldn't be my first choice to race on though! A lot of these bikes are tough to pick between for people like us. Sentinal, SB150, Mega, etc. seem to be more for the big hit guys and enduro racing. Smuggler, SB130, Offering, HT, Ripmo more for the guys riding everything except for racing and hitting the really big kickers. I really pushed a new Bronson on a demo and it was the perfect amount of travel for me, but I want 29" wheels.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by longroadtonowhere View Post
    Lot to read here, so apologies if these questions have been answered.

Anyone had this bike in the bike park yet? Also, has anyone overforked one yet? 160 maybe?

I'm really interested in the hightower but am a little worried i may end up being underbiked for some of the riding I do. Coming from 2019 patrol, which i absolutely love, but has been the loudest bike I've ever owned. Constantly taking it apart to try and keep the creaks and squeaks down, but they just keep constantly coming back and its driving me insane riding it.

Megatower is probably more in line with bikes I've owned in the past, but from what I've read it just sounds like a lot of bike, that isnt particularly the fastest or particularly the most fun. HT seems like it will be more fun, and ok for most the local stuff I ride (big bear, skypark, simi valley, greer ranch, mt wilson for any LA area folks) but I also travel a lot. Did 3 weeks in colorado this year, a week of which was at winter park, going to whistler next month. Morzine last year, etc.

Always been a 1 bike kinda guy and just deal with being overbiked most the time. I'm small 5'9 130 lbs so I feel like maybe I can get away with the HT with a 160 fork in bike park or enduro race situations, but I just dont see many people riding this bike in those situations yet, so I'm not sure. Oh I also love jumplines and big ones at that. Done crab apple hits, and all the big stuff at coast gravity. I'm pretty smooth and light like I said, and come from a bmx background, but a little worried the 140 travel in the rear wont be enough for these big hits.

Sorry for rambling, but thoughts?
    I would say the shock options on the mega would be the bigger draw than the 20mm for me, under those conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    I would say the shock options on the mega would be the bigger draw than the 20mm for me, under those conditions.
    Hmm. More of this talk and I may be swayed. My local shops have several Large Megatowers in stock, both coil and air.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Anyone knows if any coil shock would clear the frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd like to try a Fox DPX if they make one in the correct size.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hightower V2-img_3132.jpg
    Hightower V2-img_3134.jpg

TRANCER
    Ride

mtbr member
    Are those white spokes? Or just shiny? Great job - really sharp looking!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks! Theyíre just silver anodized spokes on my I9 Enduro 305 wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Seeing as Iíve been interested to hear other peopleís reviews of the Hightower I thought Iíd add mine. Picked up a medium demo Juliana maverick on Thursday in my quest to replace my original mk1 carbon bronson after 6 years of ownership. Iíve already demod an Orbea rallon, ibis ripmo and the latest bronson. Came as the top spec CC reserve build which will be pretty much identical to how Iíd build it bar a few odd touches.

Iím an above average rider, just got back from a whistler trip where I can comfortably ride their black diamond rated trails and rode some double black diamond. I ride approx 100 miles a week all over the UK and to give it a proper demo Iíve brought it to my favourite trails in the tweed valley. Glentress with off piste yday, inners with off piste today followed by a golfie trail. Will be hitting the golfie again tomorrow taking on some of the favourites.

Climbing wise I would say that it does climb quite well, it definitely out climbs the newest Bronson thanks to the steeper seat tube, however, the ripmo climbs better. That thing is like a goat and springs alongside you. I think a certain portion of this is down to the weight and the difference between the two, Iím a light rider and although my legs are strong Iím still 67kgs and I need to drive the bike up stuff. I would agree I think with some of the original testers who commented on bob on fireroads, I think when youíre churning up a fire road it can feel like a slog but on single track this isnít noticeable. Itís certainly not as firm as the original VPP. This bike can climb anything in the UK but I think if you were climbing in BC for example where itís super technical climbs along with the tough gradient then you wouldnít struggle but it wouldnít be the BEST bike for it.

Descending wise this bike IMO at least beats the ripmo and as others have said feels a lot like the new bronson but with the rollability of the 29ers. It is really planted and stable yet any time you want it to leave the ground with you itís completely ready. I can see itís going to potentially get me into a lot of trouble the speed at which you can sometimes end up approaching a corner just because of the roll ability of it. You can feel whatís going on underneath you but it isnít too ridiculously active and I found the demo ripmo a little bit too active and felt everything a little too much. Itís agile and not too long, have easily gotten it around the right technical turns so far with little problem.

Iíve also had a chance to try the code RSCs which Iíve been really impressed by. I normally run hope tech3 e4 brakes but riding in the tweed valley Iíve found sometimes they lack power when youíre hitting ridiculously steep stuff but so far with the code Iíve had total confidence in the power they have as well as being able to feather them and not have the on off sensation of Shimano brakes.

For me after two days riding, Iím completely convinced and will be ordering it as soon as I return the demo. I think for some people the ripmo would be awesome for its sheer climbing and if I was only ever going to ride it around the tame stuff near me in the west mids then it would be fab. However, I want a bike that can come with me to whistler or Spain, Italy etc. and be the perfect bike and not holding me back. For me riding a bike is primarily about the downs and chasing the leaderboards or beating past times and not how quickly I can get up a climb or whether I can ride 30 miles in a day and still get back to the top again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Chick View Post
    Seeing as Iíve been interested to hear other peopleís reviews of the Hightower I thought Iíd add mine. Picked up a medium demo Juliana maverick on Thursday in my quest to replace my original mk1 carbon bronson after 6 years of ownership. Iíve already demod an Orbea rallon, ibis ripmo and the latest bronson. Came as the top spec CC reserve build which will be pretty much identical to how Iíd build it bar a few odd touches.

Iím an above average rider, just got back from a whistler trip where I can comfortably ride their black diamond rated trails and rode some double black diamond. I ride approx 100 miles a week all over the UK and to give it a proper demo Iíve brought it to my favourite trails in the tweed valley. Glentress with off piste yday, inners with off piste today followed by a golfie trail. Will be hitting the golfie again tomorrow taking on some of the favourites.

Climbing wise I would say that it does climb quite well, it definitely out climbs the newest Bronson thanks to the steeper seat tube, however, the ripmo climbs better. That thing is like a goat and springs alongside you. I think a certain portion of this is down to the weight and the difference between the two, Iím a light rider and although my legs are strong Iím still 67kgs and I need to drive the bike up stuff. I would agree I think with some of the original testers who commented on bob on fireroads, I think when youíre churning up a fire road it can feel like a slog but on single track this isnít noticeable. Itís certainly not as firm as the original VPP. This bike can climb anything in the UK but I think if you were climbing in BC for example where itís super technical climbs along with the tough gradient then you wouldnít struggle but it wouldnít be the BEST bike for it.

Descending wise this bike IMO at least beats the ripmo and as others have said feels a lot like the new bronson but with the rollability of the 29ers. It is really planted and stable yet any time you want it to leave the ground with you itís completely ready. I can see itís going to potentially get me into a lot of trouble the speed at which you can sometimes end up approaching a corner just because of the roll ability of it. You can feel whatís going on underneath you but it isnít too ridiculously active and I found the demo ripmo a little bit too active and felt everything a little too much. Itís agile and not too long, have easily gotten it around the right technical turns so far with little problem.

Iíve also had a chance to try the code RSCs which Iíve been really impressed by. I normally run hope tech3 e4 brakes but riding in the tweed valley Iíve found sometimes they lack power when youíre hitting ridiculously steep stuff but so far with the code Iíve had total confidence in the power they have as well as being able to feather them and not have the on off sensation of Shimano brakes.

For me after two days riding, Iím completely convinced and will be ordering it as soon as I return the demo. I think for some people the ripmo would be awesome for its sheer climbing and if I was only ever going to ride it around the tame stuff near me in the west mids then it would be fab. However, I want a bike that can come with me to whistler or Spain, Italy etc. and be the perfect bike and not holding me back. For me riding a bike is primarily about the downs and chasing the leaderboards or beating past times and not how quickly I can get up a climb or whether I can ride 30 miles in a day and still get back to the top again.
    Great review. I found the LSC settings can tune out most of the bob without negatively impacting the bikes performance elsewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2019

King ThreadFit BSA30

Anyone running one of these BBs? Are there any issues w/ the rear triangle coming in contact w/ the cups?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Dumb question here, but wouldn't the V4 be a more apples to apples equivalent to the Codes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Great review Golf_Chick. I'm always happy to hear it rides like a 29er Bronson. I've demo'd the Ripmo and Bronson V3 along with a bunch of others and walked away with the Bronson my favorite but wanting it in 29. Didn't ride the Offering or SB130 LR edition but I think they're also right there in this race. I felt the Bronson climbed great, tad bit less efficient than the Ripmo but not by much, so I'm guessing the HT2 is right in between these two. Climbing up and through obstacles felt oddly similar dw to new vpp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Comparing v4 to code wise that depends on your outlook i guess. The tech 3 e4 is a 4 piston setup plus it has bite end lever adjustment the same as the code rsc and I think getting down to measure the pad size and piston size would be the only way to compare the two even more and perhaps then say oh well the v4 is maybe more comparable, and Iím definitely not doing that! Seeing as the top end Hightowerís come with these and you generally would only spec the v4 on to a DH rig, thats the closest I could get.

The only reason I may stick with the hopes is because if say for example I need a new seal or piston, I can ring them up and explain whatís happening and theyíll send the part then and there. I know some of the codes have had issues with the lever becoming super sticky, that happened with a hope and replacement would be with me in a matter of days. I donít have that confidence with the SRAM the same and itís yet another reason I donít run Shimano brakes. I like a product that has a manufacture backup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Great review Golf_Chick. I'm always happy to hear it rides like a 29er Bronson. I've demo'd the Ripmo and Bronson V3 along with a bunch of others and walked away with the Bronson my favorite but wanting it in 29. Didn't ride the Offering or SB130 LR edition but I think they're also right there in this race. I felt the Bronson climbed great, tad bit less efficient than the Ripmo but not by much, so I'm guessing the HT2 is right in between these two. Climbing up and through obstacles felt oddly similar dw to new vpp.
    Yeah I walked away from the ripmo liking it but disappointed with the descending, eventually saying in my head Ďwell maybe Iíll get the fox x2 and thatíll make it more plushí but with nothing definite as all the demos have been built with the dpx2. Tried the bronson and was instantly struck by how much I liked it on the descents but slightly disappointed by the climbs and also like you I wanted a 29er because thatís where everyone seems to be going and I want my bike to be future proof as much as I can.

I didnít bother trying any evil bikes because for my taste at least I think theyíre ugly and I doubt it rides so much more amazingly to tip me over the edge buying a bike Iíll never like the look of.

Yeti I think would be phenomenal, however, I donít think the SI system is made for UK riding and our dirt, mud and winters and I donít want a bike that is broken for a month at a time while I wait for new parts so again it could be phenomenal but Iíve written it off immediately down to where I ride and the behind the scenes stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Had a chance to demo a Hightower V2 and a Megatower yesterday through Santa Cruz with Calgary Cycle. I am currently on a Hightower OG and a Nomad V3. I am 6'2" and demoed a XL on both. I rode the same trail on both bikes for a direct comparison.

Climbing: I didn't take either bike on a long climb but far enough up some single track with some steep and technical sections and some smoother bits.

Megatower: The demo Megatower was in the long chain stay setting and it definitely felt like a big long bike. I would be curious to try it in the short and high setting and see the difference. It was definitely a bit of a grind on the climb and I could feel how big it was especially through tighter sections. It wouldn't be the bike I would want to do longer climb days on but that's not it's intent either.

Hightower: The Hightower was a noticeably better climber especially in the tighter stuff. I felt it more responsive when putting the power down and got up some technical bits much easier than on the MT. I felt it climbed better than my OG Hightower as the rear gave lots of traction.

Descending: I rode both bikes down a trail called SHAFT (Super Happy Awesome Fun Trail). It's rated a blue but would say it's more blue/black. It has a bit of everything with some flow sections, technical steep stuff and a few small drops and jumps.

Megatower:This bike plows through anything. I was purposely picking stupid lines and the bike didn't flinch. I was really surprised with how well it did steeper switchbacks. I thought it would be like cornering a semi truck but it with the right body position, it handled it really well. Very impressed. Slower tight moves were definitely more challenging. I could really feel how big the bike was. The suspension on this bike (both front and rear) was fantastic. Traction and support for days.

Hightower:The Hightower was a blast. Much more responsive (IMO) and easier to flick around the trail. I was actually a bit faster on this bike than the MT on this trail. It didn't get as hung up on the slower tighter moves and I was able to carry more speed. I also really noticed a difference in the rear traction from my current OG HT. It didn't skip through the rocky off camber sections and I could really lean the bike over with confidence.

Test Comments: The MT I rode had a Fox 36 on it while the Hightower had a Lyric. I found the ride of the Fox much better. This could very well be due to being demo bikes and a quick setup based on your weight and bouncing in the parking lot. I also ride Fox 36 on both my current bikes and have spent time tuning them to how I ride
    I didn't like the brakes on either bikes. Again this is a preference and also being demo ones but I would definitely switch to Saints or XTRs.

So which one would I get? Both actually... LOL For the majority of my riding the Hightower for sure. It is a more confident descender than my current OG HT and Nomad V3. I have ape like arms and my body position on both these bikes was much better. As I do visit bikes parks and have a wife that rides and we plan vacations to ride in Italy and the Alps, I would also get full use out of the Megatower. They are quite different rides IMO that they both have their strengths.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Still loving my HT2! I really feel like it's an amazing all around bike for my area and my style of riding. Incredibly confidence inspiring. The only thing I've changed is the brakes. I thought the Code RSC's were nice but since I already had a set of Magura MT7's from my other bike, I decided to try them on the HT2... IMHO the Magura's are just downright awesome. By far my favorite break choice.

As others have mentioned, brakes are a very personal choice. If you're considering the new hightower and are unsure about the codes, I really wouldn't worry. They work and feel really nice.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Iím interested to hear the follow up on creaks and finding them and solving them as the demo bike has already developed one and I certainly want to be able to stop it if mine turns up and creaks!!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Comparing v4 to code wise that depends on your outlook i guess. The tech 3 e4 is a 4 piston setup plus it has bite end lever adjustment the same as the code rsc and I think getting down to measure the pad size and piston size would be the only way to compare the two even more and perhaps then say oh well the v4 is maybe more comparable, and Iím definitely not doing that! Seeing as the top end Hightowerís come with these and you generally would only spec the v4 on to a DH rig, thats the closest I could get.

The only reason I may stick with the hopes is because if say for example I need a new seal or piston, I can ring them up and explain whatís happening and theyíll send the part then and there. I know some of the codes have had issues with the lever becoming super sticky, that happened with a hope and replacement would be with me in a matter of days. I donít have that confidence with the SRAM the same and itís yet another reason I donít run Shimano brakes. I like a product that has a manufacture backup.
    That's why I'm also on Hope...2 sets of V4s and 2 sets of E4s. Rebuildabilty is YUGE in my books. I still have a few sets of Avid Juicy/Ultimates floating around now that replacement parts are so cheap...including a set of the old Elixir based Codes. This is also why I'm ditching all of my Shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    I'd like to try a Fox DPX if they make one in the correct size.
    On Instagram Nina Hoffman has a dpx2 in her Maverick.
    And hereís fellow German Raphaela Richter with an X2

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by foxpuppet View Post
    On Instagram Nina Hoffman has a dpx2 in her Maverick.
    And hereís fellow German Raphaela Richter with an X2

Any more details? Low position only on the link, offset bushing to lower the shock so the air sleeve doesn't hit, custom link,...etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight70 View Post
    Any more details? Low position only on the link, offset bushing to lower the shock so the air sleeve doesn't hit, custom link,...etc?
    Nope, unfortunately it was just a flash on hofmmans story, but enough to identify what she had in there. I do remember she has had the chance to work with Jordi at Fox at a few of the world cups so they likely had something made up.
    Iíll pop a question up on Richters post and see if it gets a response.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Nope, unfortunately it was just a flash on hofmmans story, but enough to identify what she had in there. I do remember she has had the chance to work with Jordi at Fox at a few of the world cups so they likely had something made up.
    Iíll pop a question up on Richters post and see if it gets a response.

Thanks very much!

mtbr member
    Iím wondering if itís really a tight fit and it can potentialy hit the frame if it flexes somehow. just like nate hills that runs a 36t ring on his sb130 but yeti says to eun up to 34t, of course if his ring hits the frame he gets a new one, canít say the same for us average joes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    I have a 2018 Reverb 150mm and can't get it quite low enough for my 30" inseam. It's sticking out probably 2 inches, and ideally need another 1/4 inch insertion to pedal comfortably.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    [QUOTE=Golf_Chick;14278655]Iím interested to hear the follow up on creaks and finding them and solving them as the demo bike has already developed one and I certainly want to be able to stop it if mine turns up and creaks!

I was wondering about the creaking noise. is this on bikes that come built from a LBS? or bikes that were purchased from SC and built up at home by the owner / rider? because I would think if my new low mileage bike made noise I would be back at the shop having them fix the issue on such a new bike.

mtbr member
    I measured ~235mm of max insertition, the issue is the connectamajig that needs another 100mm according to the specs!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    I have a 2018 Reverb 150mm and can't get it quite low enough for my 30" inseam. It's sticking out probably 2 inches, and ideally need another 1/4 inch insertion to pedal comfortably.
    Oneup droppers have the smallest insertion length out there, are cheap, light, and work great. Could probably sell your reverb for about the cost of the oneup, get your dropper low enough, and have a better post in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So regarding the Fox x2 fitment....

Itís a sneaky custom build Raphaela Richter has got. itís not a Maverick/HT2, itís actually a Megatower in custom paint to match the Maverick. She has it just for racing. As well as a Maverick...

mtbr member
    Chris Johnston posted a pic on Insta stories of a HT2 with a DHX2. Is there a big difference in diameter of the two shocks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Looking for some suggestions on rotors! I believe the HT2 comes with Avid centerline 180mm, which I just bent on mine. I bent it back but curious if there are performance benefits by upgrading the rotor, not just size however (i understand a 203mm could help) but what would you buy as a replacement? is it too pedantic thinking about rotors (of simile size) and hence should just buy the same again?
    If i went to 203mm is it just plug and play with existing stock code brakes on my HT C build? or more adjustments needed?

mtbr member
    I donít see a reason to change, if you go 203 in case you are looking for more power you are gonna need brake adapters since lyrik and frame both fit a 180 without any spacer/adapter and you would need those to clear the rotor!

Iíve heard good things about galfer rotors but Iíve never used them myself! I think centerline perform just like rt86 shimano.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I donít see a reason to change, if you go 203 in case you are looking for more power you are gonna need brake adapters since lyrik and frame both fit a 180 without any spacer/adapter and you would need those to clear the rotor!

Iíve heard good things about galfer rotors but Iíve never used them myself! I think centerline perform just like rt86 shimano.
    And if you do go up to a bigger rotor, decide on your preferred brand as the post mount adapters are two different sizes. Centerline next setup is 200mm, while shimano ice tech is 203mm. You will need a different adapter for either.

edit for clarity

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    So after thinking about it for awhile I decided on a Hightower V2 carbon C , S build! I was just wondering for people that had to order from a LBS how long they had to wait on average for theirs to get in? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by longroadtonowhere View Post
    Oneup droppers have the smallest insertion length out there, are cheap, light, and work great. Could probably sell your reverb for about the cost of the oneup, get your dropper low enough, and have a better post in my opinion.
    I believe the OneUp dropper needs a different bottom actuator to work with the new SC bikes with the lower link shock:

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/prod...uator-kit-v2-1

Or maybe the original actuator works but this one is better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N8USMC View Post
    So after thinking about it for awhile I decided on a Hightower V2 carbon C , S build! I was just wondering for people that had to order from a LBS how long they had to wait on average for theirs to get in? Thanks!
    right now it should be a couple of weeks! my lbs is telling me 2 to 3 weeks for a frame

mtbr member
    Both actuators appear to work on my HT2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So regarding the Fox x2 fitment....

Itís a sneaky custom build Raphaela Richter has got. itís not a Maverick/HT2, itís actually a Megatower in custom paint to match the Maverick. She has it just for racing. As well as a Maverick...

I just grabbed a screenshot of a different image of Raphaela's bike from her Instastory, see below. When I first saw it, I was super surprised at just how much clearance there was around the X2. Then I saw foxpuppet's comment, and took another look at the picture, and sure enough, looking at the cable routing on the side of the headtube (like on the MT) as opposed to the front of the headtube (as on the Maverick/Hightower) confirms his comment. She's got a Mega.

Hightower V2-image-1.jpg

mtbr member

Hightower V2

duplicate

mtbr member
    canít understand whatís the point of pretending the X2 fits and saying itís a maverick!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    canít understand whatís the point of pretending the X2 fits and saying itís a maverick!
    There no pretending, sheís an ambassador as well as racer and the MT fits her needs better. Without the Strega in the lineup anymore or a womenís Mega, she said they didnít want to take anything away from the Maverick launch so prepped her a bike in the same livery.

mtbr member

Hightower V2

There no pretending, sheís an ambassador as well as racer and the MT fits her needs better. Without the Strega in the lineup anymore or a womenís Mega, she said they didnít want to take anything away from the Maverick launch so prepped her a bike in the same livery.

I understand she is an ambassador, but her post clearly states a new bike day juliana maverick which isnít true! also there was no mention when people asked about the X2 where she was like ďyeah, itís the x2Ē

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    right now it should be a couple of weeks! my lbs is telling me 2 to 3 weeks for a frame
    Oh okay awesome, that's not bad at all! Mine told me estimated time like the first week in October, but said it's common for them to come earlier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I understand she is an ambassador, but her post clearly states a new bike day juliana maverick which isnít true! also there was no mention when people asked about the X2 where she was like ďyeah, itís the x2Ē
    I'm really struggling to accept this entire situation about the HT v2 shock. It's hard to take away from my mind the idea that they did it just to avoid killing the sales of the megatower; if this is not the reason, then I'd love to hear someone from SC to explain us why. Because the only thing I've read so far is "give the stock shock a try, it's superbly setup", which may even be true, but it's not an answer. What if I prefer Fox? What if I spent my money on a nice coil shock and I'd like to carry it over? Can we at least have a list of which shocks can fit? DPX2? Topaz? The upcoming Mara Pro (which i'm looking at the moment for my v1)?

This is really annoying because it's really the only problem I can find (on paper) in this bike, but it's not a small one in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm really struggling to accept this entire situation about the HT v2 shock. It's hard to take away from my mind the idea that they did it just to avoid killing the sales of the megatower; if this is not the reason, then I'd love to hear someone from SC to explain us why. Because the only thing I've read so far is "give the stock shock a try, it's superbly setup", which may even be true, but it's not an answer. What if I prefer Fox? What if I spent my money on a nice coil shock and I'd like to carry it over? Can we at least have a list of which shocks can fit? DPX2? Topaz? The upcoming Mara Pro (which i'm looking at the moment for my v1)?

This is really annoying because it's really the only problem I can find (on paper) in this bike, but it's not a small one in my opinion.
    This is from santacruz website :

The Hightower fits most shocks on the market, with some exceptions. Fox Float X2, Cane Creek DB Air, and all coil shocks are not compatible. We recommend the Rockshox Super Deluxe, Deluxe, Fox DPX2, Fox Float DPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_rider View Post
    This is from santacruz website :

The Hightower fits most shocks on the market, with some exceptions. Fox Float X2, Cane Creek DB Air, and all coil shocks are not compatible. We recommend the Rockshox Super Deluxe, Deluxe, Fox DPX2, Fox Float DPS.
    Well, "none of the coil shocks" is not most of the shocks on the market.
    Again, I get their point of view, but can't stop thinking it is only commercial and not technical, that's what annoys. It could have been designed to properly accept coil, if they just wanted so.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    That's true. And they clearly did NOT want to. I don't know why. I guess the question is: Does it matter? The bike is built and on the market. The company has stated which shocks fit and which don't. As a consumer, you either accept that or not.

Or buy the bike and be the test shock guinea pig that we all need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That's true. And they clearly did NOT want to. I don't know why. I guess the question is: Does it matter? The bike is built and on the market. The company has stated which shocks fit and which don't. As a consumer, you either accept that or not.

Or buy the bike and be the test shock guinea pig that we all need.
    Ahah, yeah sure lol.

Well, let's say this way: I want to test the Mara Pro when it comes out hopefully in a month, and if I'll get it I will need eventually to find out if it fits the v2 frame for next year (no frame change before mid 2020 at least). Everything else on this bike is good for what I'd like to have.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No offense, sounds to me like the tail is wagging the dog, man. Have you demo'd the bike to ascertain that you don't, in fact, like the stock setup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No offense, sounds to me like the tail is wagging the dog, man. Have you demo'd the bike to ascertain that you don't, in fact, like the stock setup?
    No, as there are no demo bikes here, and most of all I'm not planning to change for the moment, I was just thinking for the future, if I can :-)

mtbr member
    do we have any info on leverage ratio? Pivot was pretty serious about saying their bikes would not work with a coil shock because of the ratio. I don't remember seeing any ratio graphs or conversation about the HT v2 leverage ratios, how progressive / regressive, etc...

To me I'm with dellock, it's not a deal breaker for me it's just disappointing not having this flexibility, but I'm not willing to go for the megatrail as a one bike.

dellock, have you considered the SB130 at 136mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm just under 6', with a 32" cycling inseam and a -2in ape index - anyone of a similar size? What size HT2 did you wind up on? I'm hearing to size up (which would put me in an XL).

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Anyone interested in a Large Desert and Orange? It's an AXS Reserve build currently that was sent to our store on accident and we are stuck with it's too expensive of a build for us to have as a floor bike. Doesn't have to be sold as this build, I have a brand new x01 eagle build I could swap out as well as selling it with or without the Reserve wheels. If you're interested message me and we can figure something out.

Hightower V2-img_1464.jpg

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    That's true. And they clearly did NOT want to. I don't know why.
    As markets mature, choice diminishes. We've seen this in many other industries, and MTB is no exception. Despite all the different brands out there, everyone's bikes are getting more and more similar. Have you seen the new Specialized Enduro?

SC must have concluded through internal and external sales data that coils were on such a small minority of SC bikes that it wasn't worth compromising air shock performance, especially when Youtube bike reviewers are so obviously splitting hairs in order to differentiate one bike from the next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Have you demo'd the bike to ascertain that you don't, in fact, like the stock setup?
    I'm one of the people, as mentioned before in this and other threads, who was annoyed when the bike came out that it was going to be rockshox only with limited options for some things but found the rear shock to be great once I actually rode the bike. As far as I know the bike has been designed around/optimized for the rockshox superdeluxe, so wouldn't you have to get a custom tune on a replacement shock like a dpx2 anyways to get it to compete with the stock performance of the superdeluxe?

I do agree it is annoying along with the inability to fit wider than 2.4/some 2.5 rear tires but neither problem has been an issue in real life and I'm guessing that getting the bike to fit wider tires and coil shocks would create some unintentional side effects, such as living with longer chainstays to fit wider rear tires than most riders will use.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    As markets mature, choice diminishes. We've seen this in many other industries, and MTB is no exception. Despite all the different brands out there, everyone's bikes are getting more and more similar. Have you seen the new Specialized Enduro?

SC must have concluded through internal and external sales data that coils were on such a small minority of SC bikes that it wasn't worth compromising air shock performance, especially when Youtube bike reviewers are so obviously splitting hairs in order to differentiate one bike from the next.
    Good points. As mentioned above too the lack of some options on the bike is mildly annoying but I am guessing SC chose to optimize the bike and make the best out of what it is at the cost of being able to run some other options on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can someone who has a medium let me know how much post you can insert so I can decided if I can get away with a 180mm oneup components dropper? I know I can from the height above but maybe not below. Ibis kindly specify all different seatposts and lengths etc. but Santa Cruz leave you guessing and waiting!

mtbr member
    Ahah, yeah sure lol.

Well, let's say this way: I want to test the Mara Pro when it comes out hopefully in a month, and if I'll get it I will need eventually to find out if it fits the v2 frame for next year (no frame change before mid 2020 at least). Everything else on this bike is good for what I'd like to have.
    I measured the tunnel on HT2 and TB4 and due to less material on TB4 it actually has a wider opening
    Not sure about the distance from the shock eye to the tunnel though... It might be shorter on TB.

mtbr member
    What is the reason for Cane Creek shocks not being compatible?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    What is the reason for Cane Creek shocks not being compatible?
    Guessing because they have a big fat air can like the X2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can someone who has a medium let me know how much post you can insert so I can decided if I can get away with a 180mm oneup components dropper? I know I can from the height above but maybe not below. Ibis kindly specify all different seatposts and lengths etc. but Santa Cruz leave you guessing and waiting!
    A handful of posts above, MFA81 said he measured ~235mm insertable on a medium.

mtbr member
    I measured ~235mm on a demo, I was able to fully insert a 150 reverb axs that was installed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    do we have any info on leverage ratio? Pivot was pretty serious about saying their bikes would not work with a coil shock because of the ratio. I don't remember seeing any ratio graphs or conversation about the HT v2 leverage ratios, how progressive / regressive, etc...

To me I'm with dellock, it's not a deal breaker for me it's just disappointing not having this flexibility, but I'm not willing to go for the megatrail as a one bike.

dellock, have you considered the SB130 at 136mm?
    I actually looked at the v2 directly at first, then when I looked at those details, yes I also thought about other frames for 29" wheels and to be around 140mm rear - 150mm front. The SB130 is not on my list as I don't like Yeti's honeslty. My short list is:
    - Hightower v2, still my favorite
    - Ibis Ripmo, really cool
    - Mondraker Foxy Carbon 29, super cool, almost perfect as the v2, but I'm worried about the cabling going under the bottom bracket, too exposed to rock hits
    - Transition Sentinel, dropped as it's really too slack and heavy, if I'd even go for such a bike, I'll get the megatower.

But if I can get over the "shock issue", I'll go for another hightower.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I actually looked at the v2 directly at first, then when I looked at those details, yes I also thought about other frames for 29" wheels and to be around 140mm rear - 150mm front. The SB130 is not on my list as I don't like Yeti's honeslty. My short list is:
    - Hightower v2, still my favorite
    - Ibis Ripmo, really cool
    - Mondraker Foxy Carbon 29, super cool, almost perfect as the v2, but I'm worried about the cabling going under the bottom bracket, too exposed to rock hits
    - Transition Sentinel, dropped as it's really too slack and heavy, if I'd even go for such a bike, I'll get the megatower.

But if I can get over the "shock issue", I'll go for another hightower.
    Might as well throw in the Offering. By all accounts in 140/150 travel, it's a great all around ride.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Just installed a SRAM MegNeg can on my HT2. It fits, and Iíll follow up with how it rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbend View Post
    Just installed a SRAM MegNeg can on my HT2. It fits, and Iíll follow up with how it rides

havenít heard much, is the megneg similar do debonair in the old monarch? what do you gain with the megneg installed?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    havenít heard much, is the megneg similar do debonair in the old monarch? what do you gain with the megneg installed?
    https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/ss-upk-mgn-a1

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Might as well throw in the Offering. By all accounts in 140/150 travel, it's a great all around ride.
    Yep, I looked at it too, but as much as geometry is ok, for some reason Evil bikes are not attractive for me. Same reason I don't have the Stumpjumper in the list.

mtbr member
    Just to have the info out there, my Large CC frame was 3380gr incl axle and seat post clamp

shredthŲgnar
    Quote Originally Posted by stgr View Post
    Just to have the info out there, my Large CC frame was 3380gr incl axle and seat post clamp
    on par with megatower it seems

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Anyone fit a chain guide on the HT yet? I was trying to swap over my E13 TRS+ (2018) from my HTLT and couldn't get it to work out. When mounting directly to the ICG mounts there wasn't any way to position it to avoid interference with the rear triangle. It would need to be spaced out away from the frame which would also require spacing out the drive side BB shell. I have a GX crankset and aside from screwing up the chain line, it doesn't seem like the non drive crank arm would seat properly with any spacers in the BB.
    Slugs love beer.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm running a OneUp oval chain guide (guide only, no bash). Fits like a champ.

mtbr member
    From Santa Cruz:

Blue Frame Pantones
    Frame - PMS 2153c
    Decal - PMS 4545c
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    May 2006

Very interested in how it rides with the Megneg air can. How much clearance do you have on either side of the can once installed? What part# did you go with?

mtbr member
    Speculation already that the 200x52.5 shock has a spacer in it and that there could be a 2.5mm spacer in there to be removed. LOL Who's gonna be the first to dabble and let us all know??? Got me thinking like.....
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinarybikes View Post
    Very interested in how it rides with the Megneg air can. How much clearance do you have on either side of the can once installed? What part# did you go with?
    second that! let us know what you think!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Not a ton of clearance, but here are some pictures. And the part number:

mtbr member
    what do you have connecting your rd and brake cables? I see some ziptie thing...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I decided to go ahead and install my Megneg that I had sitting in a box. Wasn't sure if it would fit, but after seeing photos and hearing someone else was successful...
    Hightower V2-img_3152.jpg
    Hightower V2-img_3150.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster View Post
    Anyone fit a chain guide on the HT yet? I was trying to swap over my E13 TRS+ (2018) from my HTLT and couldn't get it to work out. When mounting directly to the ICG mounts there wasn't any way to position it to avoid interference with the rear triangle. It would need to be spaced out away from the frame which would also require spacing out the drive side BB shell. I have a GX crankset and aside from screwing up the chain line, it doesn't seem like the non drive crank arm would seat properly
    with any spacers in the BB.
    iím using one up bash guide, added all the spacers to distance from the frame. Top part of the chain guide bracket is very close to rear triangle pivot point, but no issues what so ever.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    second that! let us know what you think!
    I am also interested to hear how it does, and if it is worth the upgrade??? I just took my Hightower on it's 2nd ride today. I am riding the rear shock at about 30% sag. I feel like the new vpp design is much more active when pedaling, and had to add extra air to get less pedal bob. Anyone else feel this way? Wondering if the MegNeg would help at all. I like that it does better over the rocks climbing though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    I am also interested to hear how it does, and if it is worth the upgrade??? I just took my Hightower on it's 2nd ride today. I am riding the rear shock at about 30% sag. I feel like the new vpp design is much more active when pedaling, and had to add extra air to get less pedal bob. Anyone else feel this way? Wondering if the MegNeg would help at all. I like that it does better over the rocks climbing though.
    Add some clicks of LSC on the rear shock and see if that helps, I did on my bike and felt that it really helped the bob. You will probably get some pedal bob still when you are out of the saddle pedaling hard but I think it really helps.

I so far have been riding with what is apparently the suggested SC sag (1 psi per pound of body weight, ~33% sag) and have been fine but will ride with a few more PSI next ride since I was bottoming out. I also forgot to factor in my helmet, water, tools, etc. that I carry with my on my ride so I had the shock set a few psi lower than recommended.

Edit: I too though am curious how that superduluxe upgrade alters the shock performance, i'd mostly be concerned about the suspension link hitting it when bottoming out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Add some clicks of LSC on the rear shock and see if that helps, I did on my bike and felt that it really helped the bob. You will probably get some pedal bob still when you are out of the saddle pedaling hard but I think it really helps.

I so far have been riding with what is apparently the suggested SC sag (1 psi per pound of body weight, ~33% sag) and have been fine but will ride with a few more PSI next ride since I was bottoming out. I also forgot to factor in my helmet, water, tools, etc. that I carry with my on my ride so I had the shock set a few psi lower than recommended.

Edit: I too though am curious how that superduluxe upgrade alters the shock performance, i'd mostly be concerned about the suspension link hitting it when bottoming out.
    I was thinking about dropping the pressure a little (to the 33% sag) and adding some LSC to see what that does. I will give it a try.

mtbr member
    Not a ton of clearance, but here are some pictures. And the part number:

Looks like the old aquarium hose & zip tie trick....classic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Looks like the old aquarium hose & zip tie trick....classic!
    is this a santa cruz thing? never heard of it, maybe because Iím coming from a Yeti...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Would love to take credit for it. Iíve got a great LBS

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    From Santa Cruz:

Blue Frame Pantones
    Frame - PMS 2153c
    Decal - PMS 4545c
    Where did you find the color numbers?

With my luck, i got 'color chipping' in the only place i dont have frame protection, so im looking for the primer grey Bronson v3 color number...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Where did you find the color numbers?

With my luck, i got 'color chipping' in the only place i dont have frame protection, so im looking for the primer grey Bronson v3 color number...
    Hey man, you should pop a quick email straight to SC. They will get you what you need pretty quick for color codes. Usually they get posted up on these threads for folks ordering custom graphics etc...
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stgr View Post
    A friend received his Large C frame. 3560gr with axle and I guess post clamp (it was not on the picture).

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Hightower V2

MegNeg 1st ride:
    Iím 235lbs and an average rider. Ran the stock shock at 240-250psi and set up the MegNeg in the same fashion.

Initially the rear end of the bike felt kind of firm, and I wondered if I shouldíve run lower pressure. As the ride went on, I noticed that the rear and seemed to gobble up small rocks and bumps really well. During high speed berm turns, I think I learned what mid stroke support means. It felt great. Kept me from bobbing in and out of the turn.

All in all, happy with the MegNeg after the first ride. I was shocked to see that I had used about 90% of the travel, and I look forward to fine tuning it.

No clearance issues at all.

Last edited by mikeinbend; 08-29-2019 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did my first ride with the Megneg installed, yesterday. When installing it, I removed the factory installed token on the SD. I added two red bands to the neg. air chamber to start with and ended up adding roughly 20% more air pressure to achieve 33% sag. Starting out, the bike immediately pedals better and has more support at the sag point. I even went as far as to back off all of my low speed compression from what I had previously ran with the stock shock configuration. The bike doesn't feel as plush as before over medium sized hits. At the end of my ride I had checked to see if I was getting full travel and I did not. The red o-ring for travel indicator was 5-8mm from full bottom out on the shock body. I will have to do more tinkering with this set-up.

mtbr member
    I did my first ride with the Megneg installed, yesterday. When installing it, I removed the factory installed token on the SD. I added two red bands to the neg. air chamber to start with and ended up adding roughly 20% more air pressure to achieve 33% sag. Starting out, the bike immediately pedals better and has more support at the sag point. I even went as far as to back off all of my low speed compression from what I had previously ran with the stock shock configuration. The bike doesn't feel as plush as before over medium sized hits. At the end of my ride I had checked to see if I was getting full travel and I did not. The red o-ring for travel indicator was 5-8mm from full bottom out on the shock body. I will have to do more tinkering with this set-up.
    Thanks for the feedback regarding the MegNeg, I too am intrigued by the concept, especially considering I am a fan of increased negative air chambers (I run a Luftkappe in my 36). In conversation with Fluid Function in Squamish, they had indicated that the MegNeg does not play well with V2 Hightower and that the feedback was that it was hard to achieve full travel. Not sure the sample size or whether it was a light or heavy rider etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CORMONTE View Post
    Thanks for the feedback regarding the MegNeg, I too am intrigued by the concept, especially considering I am a fan of increased negative air chambers (I run a Luftkappe in my 36). In conversation with Fluid Function in Squamish, they had indicated that the MegNeg does not play well with V2 Hightower and that the feedback was that it was hard to achieve full travel. Not sure the sample size or whether it was a light or heavy rider etc.
    Yeah, its almost as if you need to be able to remove two tokens to make it work and achieve full travel. Only one comes standard though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ordered my maverick frame CC today with a 4-6 week wait but I really hope itís sooner although that gives me time to strip and sell bits in order to buy new parts. Got £400 knocked off retail for buying at my local place so happy with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm very curious to hear more about tuning from riders in the 200+ pound range. I've only had one real trail ride on my HT V2 (which I absolutely love), but I felt like at 235 psi (I'm 230 lbs ready to ride) that I wasn't getting full travel.

mtbr member
    Yeah, its almost as if you need to be able to remove two tokens to make it work and achieve full travel. Only one comes standard though.
    what type of riding? I'm always curious when riders say they did not achieve full travel, are we talking about 3" or 4" drops? huck to flat? I wouldn't expect or even want to achieve bottom out full travel on every ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Interesting to hear multiple people saying they arent using full travel. Early reviews I read talked about finding the end of the travel maybe a little too quickly. That said an interview with the dude from push said if youre using full travel every ride your suspension isnt set up right. On a typical trail ride you should probably only be using about 85% of travel and that extra 15% should be for really big compressions and oh shit moments.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've heard many folks say similar things as ^^^. What if your everyday trail ride has multiple "oh-sh!t" moments? Mine do, so I commonly use all or most of my travel on trail rides. I set my suspension up accordingly.

In other words, there's no "one size fits all" setup given the vast differences in what riding style and trail difficulty.

mtbr member
    Also, the thread and general tuning is getting sidetracked with this megneg thingamajjiger. I plan on giving the bike a go as SC intended it before I start making any changes. Some of the feedback is starting to get confused between regular and negmeg I think.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone with time on a HT2 that's also ridden the Bronson v3 able to compare? I have a V3 Bronson now, and 150/160 feels a bit much on the climbs and flatter but very rocky sections of Annadel. The bronson feels great at speed on the downhills, but when you aren't pushing it on the flatter sections, it feels more like the older Nomad v3 and seems to be lacking in the playful side.

I'm shopping for a 29er and had been leaning towards a SB130 or maybe a ripmo, but am also intrigued by the HT2 and the Ripley v4.

Local SC dealer already confirmed they're not getting any demos in this season, so while I could go 3+hrs and factory demo it on UCSC I can't experience it for myself. So I'm hoping someone here has time on both and can give some input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You can demo HT2 at the The Path in Tustin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Anyone with time on a HT2 that's also ridden the Bronson v3 able to compare? I have a V3 Bronson now, and 150/160 feels a bit much on the climbs and flatter but very rocky sections of Annadel. The bronson feels great at speed on the downhills, but when you aren't pushing it on the flatter sections, it feels more like the older Nomad v3 and seems to be lacking in the playful side.

I'm shopping for a 29er and had been leaning towards a SB130 or maybe a ripmo, but am also intrigued by the HT2 and the Ripley v4.

Local SC dealer already confirmed they're not getting any demos in this season, so while I could go 3+hrs and factory demo it on UCSC I can't experience it for myself. So I'm hoping someone here has time on both and can give some input.
    I've spent about 3 weeks (8-10 rides or so) on a V3 bronson and I've had two rides on the ht2, and also own a megatower. I personally wouldn't spend money to change a v3 bronson to a hightower. I do prefer 29r wheels, but the v3 bronson was an absolutely amazing bike to me and I had no problem playing with it and getting it to pop off of anything I saw.

I think the HT2 will indeed be a better bike for pedaling and covering ground in places the bronson may seem a smidge sluggish, but we're splitting hairs here. Both have pretty much the same suspension travel with very similar feel to both of them. They both pretty much have the same ultimate capacity on the trail and run out of abilities at about the same point. I think they both pretty much pedal the same right up until you're talking about technical rock climbing where the 29r wheels are an advantage, but that being said, with regards to suspension on climbs (pedaling platform and grip) they are the same.

It's a minute difference between the two that to me, comes down to the 29r wheels. IMO both bikes fill the exact same spot in the stable, fit the same type of rider and perform very similarly. Unless you are itching for a new bike, I wouldn't go out of your way to make the swap and if you do, I wouldn't expect a totally different trail experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Itís a very progressive frame, which along with the damper tune gives it very good bottoming resistance. As others have noted, ďachieving full travelĒ is not a dynamically useful performance target. Conversely ďnot bottoming out all the timeĒ certainly is.

I'm very curious to hear more about tuning from riders in the 200+ pound range. I've only had one real trail ride on my HT V2 (which I absolutely love), but I felt like at 235 psi (I'm 230 lbs ready to ride) that I wasn't getting full travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Anyone with time on a HT2 that's also ridden the Bronson v3 able to compare?
    If you read back through the thread a few of us have given opinions on the two bikes and how they compare. As well as how the two also compare to the Ripmo.

However, as youíve asked Iíll share my thoughts again. If youíre after a very similar feeling bike to the Bronson, same platform and same capabilities, but want the advantages of bigger wheels then get a Hightower. If you want something different, and letís face it not everybody needs a bike like this with the style it has and the attitude and trails it suits, then get something different. You led the question with some of the bits you want to be different on a new bike, none of which will be different on the Hightower. Having also ridden a Ripmo with a dpx shock I would say it will address some of your Ďwantsí.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hightower V2-thumbnail_image-1.jpg

It looks like a coil shock might just fit after all...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Since I'm new to 29ers, does anyone have concerns that a 2.4 rear/"some 2.5" rear tires is the max on this frame? I rode with the Rocky Mountain EWS team 2 weeks ago and they all ran 2.5" Assegai/2.4 DHRII on their Instincts, which is what I'm probably going to run. It's just a bummer that I probably can't fit the 2.5" Assegai or any 2.6" on the rear. I demo'd both the Ripmo and Bronson with 35mm wheels and 2.6's and thought they provided amazing grip, however, I did raise the pressure up quite a bit to keep them from feeling squirmy on jumps lips and hard cornering. Oh and this is for typical Tahoe terrain, big mountains, rocks, jumps, etc.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I always thought that anything beyond 30mm is too big for a rim and really limits your choices if you also want a decent shape of the tire once installed. 35 is too much for my taste, and i've never installed anything more than 2.5" on my bikes.
    Also, remember that EWS guys are insanely fit not just for downhill but also for pedaling, what what could be a good tire for them, could maybe kill us. I tried to pedal my assegai DH tire, no way I can use that thing outside of bike parks.

Long story short, no I don't see the clearance limits as an issue.

mtbr member
    Since I'm new to 29ers, does anyone have concerns that a 2.4 rear/"some 2.5" rear tires is the max on this frame? I rode with the Rocky Mountain EWS team 2 weeks ago and they all ran 2.5" Assegai/2.4 DHRII on their Instincts, which is what I'm probably going to run. It's just a bummer that I probably can't fit the 2.5" Assegai or any 2.6" on the rear. I demo'd both the Ripmo and Bronson with 35mm wheels and 2.6's and thought they provided amazing grip, however, I did raise the pressure up quite a bit to keep them from feeling squirmy on jumps lips and hard cornering. Oh and this is for typical Tahoe terrain, big mountains, rocks, jumps, etc.
    2.5 aggressor fits fine.

mtbr member
    2.4 Max is a non issue for me really. I run usually a 2.4 DHR2, tried the Aggressor 2.5. The aggressor 2.5 was chewing my chainstay up a bit but was indeed working but the big tire on 30.5 rims was just too much and too vague for me. I'm a 2.4 guy and don't plan on going much larger.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    I honestly don't feel very limited with a 2.4 tire in back. I do agree, for some park and non pedal gnar days, it would be nice to fit a 2.5 in back... but really there isn't a huge difference there with regards to tire volume and tread pattern.

Regarding 2.6 tires... I am local to socal and ride in your area a lot. I, like you, can't really ride 2.6 tires in this terrain as there just isn't enough sidewall support. I end up having to run within 1-2 psi of my normal WT casing tire pressures otherwise I just fold the sidewalls and burp sealant. Admittedly, I haven't run any 2.6", 29r setups for park style terrain (N* etc) but i have ridden a 2.6 equipped v3 bronson up there and found the same thing you did that the landing, cornering and g-out characteristics where not what I was looking for. I did like the extra width and volume, but the reality is that I have no problem riding loose N* and mammoth style kitty litter and dust on 2.5" front and 2.4" rear... so it's really looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have been riding pretty hard so far and haven't gone over the limit yet of the dhr2 rear, I think once or twice I pushed a little too far and the tire kicked out but it caught itself again. So, the 2.4 DHR2 is all you need on the rear really and a lot of people like to ride with less tire than that on the rear even for some pretty aggressive riding. I am definitely one of the people in the crowd who have complained numerous times about the lack of tire clearance but the 2.4's are fine.

The more I ride though the more I see benefit for having 35mm rims, at least if you are only going to ever ride maxxis WT (wide trail) tires or wide tires from other brands. I thought when the first WT tires were released maxxis said they were optimized around 35mm rims but now that the 2.4 dissector was released maxxis mentioned somewhere that really anything 30mm-35mm is ideal for their WT tires. And all of this is coming from someone who only ever used to ride 2.3 maxxis on narrow rims and thought that the 2.4dhr2s and 30mm rims on the hightower were going to be way overkill. The wide rims on the ripley were a nice touch even with 2.35 schwalbes.

It looks like a coil shock might just fit after all...
    Anybody know which coil that is and how they got it to fit, if it just slid right in or if they had to do any mods? I am guessing you can message that rider on their instagram and find out.

I personally don't plan on going coil any day soon but after reading a lot more about coils the last few days, I can understand why people want to throw one in the hightower, especially if the bike is progressive enough (IDK if it is). It seems though that both mullet bikes and coil shocks are the hot thing right now and comments elsewhere indicate that they always make a resurgence every few years then go away again, so I am guessing there is a reason why people stop caring about coils after a certain point. Maybe everyone in 5 years from now will be riding a mullet bike with a coil, but if history repeats itself, nobody will care about either in a few years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good feedback on the tire clearance. I tend to agree, I don't think anything bigger than 2.4/some 2.5's in the back is an issue and about right for this type of bike. Having liked 35mm/2.6s on other bikes but only after bringing the pressure way up to support aggressive riding, the extra pressure surly negated any traction benefit of the larger tires but it's what I needed to get the support I'm used to. Two demos I had, I went into my first few jumps and turns and almost stacked it because of the low pressure and was getting the tires to rub against the forks! I guess I push into the base of jumps and berms a lot. Haha
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have been riding pretty hard so far and haven't gone over the limit yet of the dhr2 rear, I think once or twice I pushed a little too far and the tire kicked out but it caught itself again. So, the 2.4 DHR2 is all you need on the rear really and a lot of people like to ride with less tire than that on the rear even for some pretty aggressive riding. I am definitely one of the people in the crowd who have complained numerous times about the lack of tire clearance but the 2.4's are fine.

The more I ride though the more I see benefit for having 35mm rims, at least if you are only going to ever ride maxxis WT (wide trail) tires or wide tires from other brands. I thought when the first WT tires were released maxxis said they were optimized around 35mm rims but now that the 2.4 dissector was released maxxis mentioned somewhere that really anything 30mm-35mm is ideal for their WT tires. And all of this is coming from someone who only ever used to ride 2.3 maxxis on narrow rims and thought that the 2.4dhr2s and 30mm rims on the hightower were going to be way overkill. The wide rims on the ripley were a nice touch even with 2.35 schwalbes.

Anybody know which coil that is and how they got it to fit, if it just slid right in or if they had to do any mods? I am guessing you can message that rider on their instagram and find out.

I personally don't plan on going coil any day soon but after reading a lot more about coils the last few days, I can understand why people want to throw one in the hightower, especially if the bike is progressive enough (IDK if it is). It seems though that both mullet bikes and coil shocks are the hot thing right now and comments elsewhere indicate that they always make a resurgence every few years then go away again, so I am guessing there is a reason why people stop caring about coils after a certain point. Maybe everyone in 5 years from now will be riding a mullet bike with a coil, but if history repeats itself, nobody will care about either in a few years.

Enhance..... looks like a fox dhx2

mtbr member
    is this a santa cruz thing? never heard of it, maybe because Iím coming from a Yeti...
    no...been around awhile

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Enhance..... looks like a fox dhx2

I am guessing it won't be long now until we see others pop up on the forums here with them in their bike in that case. For SC to say no coils will fit when someone obviously has one in their bike it makes me wonder if they did anything special to make it fit that will void the warranty or if anyone can do this. If coils fit but were less than ideal for the frame I think SC would say that rather than saying none will fit.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I am guessing it won't be long now until we see others pop up on the forums here with them in their bike in that case. For SC to say no coils will fit when someone obviously has one in their bike it makes me wonder if they did anything special to make it fit that will void the warranty or if anyone can do this. If coils fit but were less than ideal for the frame I think SC would say that rather than saying none will fit.
    A few pages back someone posted a pic of a ruler in the tunnel and it showed something around 2.25" width. I took the 500# SLS (which would be a bit light for my weight...200 R2R...and a 55mm stroke DHX2) off of my Nomad 4 just to get a clue on the diameter of a spring in that weight. As it turns out, it was around 2.05" on a caliper.

If the spring doesn't bend, 0.1" on either side miiiight just work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Any Alloy frames spotted in the wild yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    A few pages back someone posted a pic of a ruler in the tunnel and it showed something around 2.25" width. I took the 500# SLS (which would be a bit light for my weight...200 R2R...and a 55mm stroke DHX2) off of my Nomad 4 just to get a clue on the diameter of a spring in that weight. As it turns out, it was around 2.05" on a caliper.

If the spring doesn't bend, 0.1" on either side miiiight just work.
    IDK, if you are a heavier rider i'm assuming you have to use a bigger diameter spring? Having never dealt with coil shocks it sounds like then that it will work if you are light enough to run a small enough diameter spring to fit in the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoGram View Post
    Any Alloy frames spotted in the wild yet?
    None seen here.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    IDK, if you are a heavier rider i'm assuming you have to use a bigger diameter spring? Having never dealt with coil shocks it sounds like then that it will work if you are light enough to run a small enough diameter spring to fit in the frame.
    None seen here.
    Pretty sure I qualified my post with my weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Pretty sure I qualified my post with my weight.
    No, I meant that heavier riders in general will need a wider diameter spring, correct? I poorly worded that question. I have zero experience adjusting coil shocks, limited knowledge about them (only having dealt with air shocks) and almost zero experience riding them so I don't know how much of a difference in shock fit there would be for riders of different weights. Either way I am lighter than you so I am guessing that it wouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    For info...the outside diameter of the springs used on the EXT Storia coil is 55mm. Another potential option. Wouldn't mind seeing the leverage curve of this frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Outside diameter doesnít usually change much between rates.

[QUOTE=agreenbike;14290079]No, I meant that heavier riders in general will need a wider diameter spring...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Hightower V2

Coil width is determined by the shock itself. Not the rider weight or spring rate. You can make virtually any spring rate at virtually any diameter. The heavier the rider the higher the spring weight they need but the shock spring mounts stay the same and thus so does the spring diameter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Outside diameter doesnít usually change much between rates.

No, I meant that heavier riders in general will need a wider diameter spring...
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber252 View Post
    Coil width is determined by the shock itself. Not the rider weight or spring rate. You can make virtually any spring rate at virtually any diameter. The heavier the rider the higher the spring weight they need but the shock spring mounts stay the same and thus so does the spring diameter.
    Cool thanks for explaining. I know some spring specs for different weights listed their inner diameters so I wasn't sure. But in that case it will be interesting to see if anyone else here attempts to fit a coil and documents it.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Cool thanks for explaining. I know some spring specs for different weights listed their inner diameters so I wasn't sure. But in that case it will be interesting to see if anyone else here attempts to fit a coil and documents it.
    Dude, I'm not sure what bronxbomber is going on about, but your original assumption is correct.
    There is no friggin' way a 250# x 3" stroke spring will have the same outer diameter as a 600# x 3" spring.
    You can wind a spring w/ less turns to get a stiffer spring, or when that will exceed the material's elastic limit, you can use thicker wire to wind the spring. And, going from 250 up to 600, there's simply no way to do it w/o using a thicker wire. Thus, w/ the inner diameter as a fixed point for shock fitment, the outer diameter *must* increase when you go from 250 to 600...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pike or Lyrik

I have a Hightower frame on the way and Iím deciding between the Pike and Lyrik forks. A lot of my riding requires long climbs for some fun descents as well as some general tech singletrack. I have a Blur with a Fox 34 for xc riding/racing so on one hand Iím leaning towards the Lyrik, but on the other Iím a bit of a nana so probably donít really Ďneedí a Lyrik and keeping the weight down will help with the long climbs.

Given both have the same axel to crown measurements and same sized stachions, is there any reason to not go with the Pikeís even though all the builds from SC come with a Lyrik?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yeah youíre right, but stiffness is super sensitive to wire gauge and so OD doesnít change by much. Stiffness increase of 10% would be in the order of 0.1-0.2mm wire diameter increase, so not generally significant from a package perspective.

Dude, I'm not sure what bronxbomber is going on about, but your original assumption is correct.
    There is no friggin' way a 250# x 3" stroke spring will have the same outer diameter as a 600# x 3" spring.
    You can wind a spring w/ less turns to get a stiffer spring, or when that will exceed the material's elastic limit, you can use thicker wire to wind the spring. And, going from 250 up to 600, there's simply no way to do it w/o using a thicker wire. Thus, w/ the inner diameter as a fixed point for shock fitment, the outer diameter *must* increase when you go from 250 to 600...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana View Post
    I have a Hightower frame on the way and Iím deciding between the Pike and Lyrik forks. A lot of my riding requires long climbs for some fun descents as well as some general tech singletrack. I have a Blur with a Fox 34 for xc riding/racing so on one hand Iím leaning towards the Lyrik, but on the other Iím a bit of a nana so probably donít really Ďneedí a Lyrik and keeping the weight down will help with the long climbs.

Given both have the same axel to crown measurements and same sized stachions, is there any reason to not go with the Pikeís even though all the builds from SC come with a Lyrik?
    I went with a Pike Ultimate, no regrets.
    I personally think the Lyrik is a little overkill. But to each their own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana View Post

Depends what you aiming for the HTv2 to be, since its all mountain bike. You can build it as a light trail bike up to burly enduro machine depends on the parts you using. And since you already having Blur for XC and light trail riding, i would go with the Lyriks and make it more aggressive bike to complement it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If anyone is in the market for a C-level XL frame, mine is for sale on PB (same user name).

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    I went with a Pike Ultimate, no regrets.
    I personally think the Lyrik is a little overkill. But to each their own.
    Is the only difference between the Pike and the Lyrik Ultimate the stiffer fork bottoms?

mtbr member
    Is the only difference between the Pike and the Lyrik Ultimate the stiffer fork bottoms?
    I believe the stanchions are also stiffer, I remember push acs3 uses different springs for lyrik/yari and pike, the stanchions walls are ticker

other than that the internals are all the same I believe

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    So I'm really splitting hairs on deciding between this Hightower and the new Kona Process 134. Wondering if anyone else is debating a similar move. The Kona has 134/140 travel so a bit less. But it is coil compatible. I demoed a process 153 in Big Sky and was blown away at how it handles and especially jumps. But sluggish uphill. This bike seems to be very capable on the steeps. Probably a bit hehind the HT on the downs but maybe a bit livelier everywhere else. Reviews have been really good. Anyway - I know this bike is often compared to Ripmo etc. Just thought I'd throw this one in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Anyone know how many tokens* come in the lyric? I assume its just 1 like the Lyrics that come in other non-SC bikes, but I think I will remove it. I am finding it impossible to use the last 20-30mm+ of travel on the fork even when the pressure is set lower than Rockshox recommends and I use just about full travel on the rear shock at SC's recommended pressure. There's quite a few times where I do a big jump or drop that you would expect to bottom out most bikes and the fork still shows a surprising amount of travel left, such as 25mm. From reading other Lyric threads here and on other forums, it seems that it is pretty much impossible to use near full travel even at a bike park with 1 or more tokens in the fork (unless you are running at some super low pressure or something like that). I know you want to avoid bottoming out the fork as much as possible but there's at least 15mm of travel there that I should be using that I can't use in any scenario.

Setting up the rear shock has been relatively easy, 1 PSI per pound of riding weight as SC recommends seems to be just about perfect and the LSC set near the middle # of available clicks feels good. But the fork is a different story, I think if I raise the pressure in the fork and get rid of the token then I should be using more of the travel while still (hopefully) not bottoming out and also not blowing through the first bit of travel as easily.

Edit*: tokens
    Yeah youíre right, but stiffness is super sensitive to wire gauge and so OD doesnít change by much. Stiffness increase of 10% would be in the order of 0.1-0.2mm wire diameter increase, so not generally significant from a package perspective.
    So in that case, heavier springs are larger diameter then, but only by a negligible amount then? Makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone know how many tokens* come in the lyric? I assume its just 1 like the Lyrics that come in other non-SC bikes, but I think I will remove it. I am finding it impossible to use the last 20-30mm+ of travel on the fork even when the pressure is set lower than Rockshox recommends and I use just about full travel on the rear shock at SC's recommended pressure. There's quite a few times where I do a big jump or drop that you would expect to bottom out most bikes and the fork still shows a surprising amount of travel left, such as 25mm. From reading other Lyric threads here and on other forums, it seems that it is pretty much impossible to use near full travel even at a bike park with 1 or more tokens in the fork (unless you are running at some super low pressure or something like that). I know you want to avoid bottoming out the fork as much as possible but there's at least 15mm of travel there that I should be using that I can't use in any scenario.

Setting up the rear shock has been relatively easy, 1 PSI per pound of riding weight as SC recommends seems to be just about perfect and the LSC set near the middle # of available clicks feels good. But the fork is a different story, I think if I raise the pressure in the fork and get rid of the token then I should be using more of the travel while still (hopefully) not bottoming out and also not blowing through the first bit of travel as easily.

Edit*: tokens

So in that case, heavier springs are larger diameter then, but only by a negligible amount then? Makes sense.
    From the chart Iíve seen, the 150mm Lyrik comes with 2 tokens. Iím going to pull mine apart some time this week, and Iíll let you know.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi, just in the process of building up my new V2 frame and I'm using the Hope headset from my V1. Noticed the top cap doesn't sit flush with the headtube so there's a little lip all the way round of unpainted carbon, like the top cap hasn't got a big enough diameter. Was fine on the V1 and the same size headset also sits nice on my Chameleon. Anyone else using a Hope headset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jim0905 View Post
    Hi, just in the process of building up my new V2 frame and I'm using the Hope headset from my V1. Noticed the top cap doesn't sit flush with the headtube so there's a little lip all the way round of unpainted carbon, like the top cap hasn't got a big enough diameter. Was fine on the V1 and the same size headset also sits nice on my Chameleon. Anyone else using a Hope headset?
    I just moved everything over from my v1 to v2 frame (SC's lifetime warranty is AWESOME by the way) and noticed the same thing with my Cane Creek 110 headset. There's a little bit of unpainted carbon showing around the bearing cap on the top. I find it especially weird because SC uses Cane Creek headsets in all but their highest-end builds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The Lyrik has stiffer lowers and the option to run longer travel. The biggest air spring you can get for a 29er Pike is 150mm - I put a Lyrik on my Hightower because I wanted the option to run it at 160mm, which seems to work very well, judging from my trip to Steamboat this past weekend :-)

mtbr member

Can I just leave this here?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-frisby-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by foxone View Post
    A friend received his Large C frame. 3560gr with axle and I guess post clamp (it was not on the picture).
    I'm assuming these weights are with the shock. My medium CC frame is 2790g with seat clamp but without the shock or axle. The Super Deluxe Ultimate adds 504g. The axle is 62g. Total 3356g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hmm interesting about the comments of the pike vs lyrik. I thought there was more to the difference than just thicker stanchions and lowers etc I thought the internals were designed to cope with more demanding terrain. As a lighter rider I'm now wondering if I should even bother going lyrik and shed a tiny bit of weight. I'd always thought this was the case but then everyone seems to say I should go lyrik so that it can 'cope' with what I ride.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hmm interesting about the comments of the pike vs lyrik. I thought there was more to the difference than just thicker stanchions and lowers etc I thought the internals were designed to cope with more demanding terrain. As a lighter rider I'm now wondering if I should even bother going lyrik and shed a tiny bit of weight. I'd always thought this was the case but then everyone seems to say I should go lyrik so that it can 'cope' with what I ride.
    I've clarified this further...the stanchions (the black stationery tubes connected to the CSU) are 35mm and the same on both the Pike and Lyrik.

The fork bottoms are heavier duty on the Lyrik and this is where the extra stiffness/weight comes from and gives the ability to run longer travel.

The internals are the same.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CORMONTE View Post
    Looks great with the different frame decals

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The internals are the same. I did a bunch of digging and, being a 150lb rider myself, don't think the added stiffness really justifies the extra 170g of weight in the Lyrik. So if you're certain you won't want to bump the fork to 160mm, I'd go with the Pike. That said, I went with the 160 Lyrik in the end and so far have been very happy with the extra 10mm of travel up front.

mtbr member

Hightower V2

I've clarified this further...the stanchions (the black stationery tubes connected to the CSU) are 35mm and the same on both the Pike and Lyrik.

The fork bottoms are heavier duty on the Lyrik and this is where the extra stiffness/weight comes from and gives the ability to run longer travel.

The internals are the same.
    Lyrik/Yari have different uppers, the walls are thicker and have a small internal diameter. they use a different CSU than the Pike one.

this was explained by Daren in the acs3 thread regarding the different coil springs for the pike and lyrik/yari

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 200 lbs and went with the Pike to keep the weight down, plus I was looking to build more of a trail bike than enduro. I feel like the Pike is plenty stiff. I just did a big ride with lots of dh, chunk, and small drops yesterday. The bike was still wanting to go faster than what what I am capable of. I'm not the fastest guy out there, but was passing plenty of people.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    So, has anyone managed to shoehorn a 210x55 into the frame w/o the rear tire buzzing the back of the seat tube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I canít figure out how to post a picture on here off my iPhone.. but I just found a picture on Instagram of a new Hightower with a DHX2 coil on it

mtbr member
    May 2017
    So, has anyone managed to shoehorn a 210x55 into the frame w/o the rear tire buzzing the back of the seat tube?
    Is the shock not a 210x55 with a 2.5mm travel limiting spacer in it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gotow View Post
    The internals are the same. I did a bunch of digging and, being a 150lb rider myself
    Yeah unkitted im 130lbs so a light weight rider. Ran pikes for the last 6 years and never thought I needed a stiffer fork but would like as responsive a fork as possible when it comes to chatter and repetitive small hits because I tend to find my weight struggles to get forks to respond. 170g is a lot of weight to save when I'm trying to keep weight down as much as possible to get as close to my bronson build as possible, I dont really understand why the maverick's are being spec'd with lyriks then when most female riders are going to be on the lighterweight side. Equally I'm an above average rider who hits some pretty gnarly tuff and pretty steep stuff and sometimes long intensive runs but if the internals are identical I dont see what the point is!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAutoGlassGuy View Post
    I canít figure out how to post a picture on here off my iPhone.. but I just found a picture on Instagram of a new Hightower with a DHX2 coil on it
    Post 562 beat you to it

mtbr member since 1996
    I swapped my wifeís Pike for a Mattock on her Furtado. Great change. Plenty stiff, lighter tune (and easy to reshim for custom tunes), and very responsive to small trail noise and chatter. They also have longer travel enduro forks, forget the name.

I really donít know why SC specks the same tune fork in a bike for 180lb men and 120lb women. The same tune canít cope with both well. They tune the shocks lighter riders so why not the fork? I know....cost.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I saw that, the picture I found is different. But I guess itís some reassurance there is a coil that will fit!

Post 562 beat you to it

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast