Hightower V2 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hightower V2

mtbr member
    Just an update - HT 2 developed a strange creaking when pedaling light to moderately, only when seated. Ahh easy fix! Must be seat or seat post related, right?

So, first thing I tried was cleaning / re greasing all things seat related. Nope.

Tried changing seats. Nope.

Thought it might be dropper post. Nope. Swapped out and creaking still there.

Greased all drop outs, axles. Nope.

Removed, re-greased front chain ring and crank threads. Nope.

Different pedals. Nope.

Tried different back wheel. Nope.

Only thing left was bottom bracket, or rear suspension linkage (didn't think it was the actual shock itself).

Disassembled rear linkage - there was a lot of grit that had built up and SC seems to install the lower linkage with a ton of grease. Cleaned off excess grease, wiped grit off, re greased the high / low bolt. Axle bolts and associated collet bolts were dirt free so left them alone.

Also dropped tiny bit of Tri-flow around all of the hanger linkages and where the shock connects to the bike.

Creak finally gone.

Super frustrating, I think I have spent about 4 hours trying to fix this. Anyway, just passing along in hopes this helps someone else. I am not sure what the ultimate cuplrit was (hanger linkage, shock interface in shock eyelets, or the lower linkage itself, but in any case, will have to keep an eye on this as time goes by.

As a side note, lower linkage is pretty easy to disassemble - pretty much like original HT except the high / low bolt that goes through the shock. Be sure to do all of this in an area that if something drops to the ground it will be easy to find - the seal covers at the end of the shock tend to drop out / down to the floor, as do the high / low nuts (there are two of those, one on each side of the shock). Also, the clearance between the high / low bolt and the seat stay is very tight, so be careful not to scratch your paint with your whatever tool you are using. I also removed the little shock guard to give myself more room, but this isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was hoping a Float X2 may fit on the Hightower2 like it sort of does on the Bronson3...well, unless the diameter of the can has changed since the first couple seasons, it absolutely WILL NOT fit into an XL Hightower 2. I took off my X2 from the original HT to try.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Also dropped tiny bit of Tri-flow around all of the hanger linkages...
    I've had really good luck using carbon paste where aluminum meets carbon and the interface is not intended to move. A bit of a creak developed on my HTOG at the hanger. Coated everything there w/ carbon paste and it quieted it right down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I was hoping a Float X2 may fit on the Hightower2 like it sort of does on the Bronson3...well, unless the diameter of the can has changed since the first couple seasons, it absolutely WILL NOT fit into an XL Hightower 2. I took off my X2 from the original HT to try.
    I guess Santa Cruz was telling us the truth when they said an x2 (and coil) will not fit. Thanks for info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    How did it end up comparing to your LT on the demo ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    "But all else is never equal." I spent 2 hours on a new Bronson 27.5+ today followed by an hour on the latest 5010 27.5+. I rode the same trails with both bikes. Logic told me the 5010 would be faster since it had ample suspension for the technical trail I rode.
    It was lighter so why wouldn't it be?

It wasn't faster. The 3 extra pounds on the Bronson made it feel more stable and the latest VPP suspension did seem to help it track better and it certainly climbed faster because it wasn't as "skittish" as the 5010.

The current 5010 didn't feel much different then my own 5010 V1 even though the geometry was up to current standards. On the other hand, the latest Bronson felt much better then the V1 Bronson I rode when I choose my 5010.

So, yeah, I was surprised and all else is never equal and all the complaints about the weight of the new Hightower probably are really being blown out of proportion.

Now, if my shop can only get me a new Hightower to demo Ö.
    Appreciate everyones comparisons of the new HT and Bronson. I'm in the same boat as you. Been demo'ing a ton of bikes and the Bronson was by far my favorite. So planted, plush yet supportive, and efficient pedaling uphill. Been on a new stumpy, enduro, instinct bc, tracer, altitude, ripmo and the bronson. Only thing holding me back from buying is this new HT. Need to know if it really does ride like a 29er bronson v3 or where it's different.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    In my opinion it's very similar to the V3 Bronson. However, I feel like it's a much better all-rounder. Both bikes are really stable and confidence inspiring. That said, I much prefer the HT2 and the 29" wheels. I've been in 29ers for yesterday so that could be a big factor. The Bronson just felt slower (especially in the flats). And for me, I think the HT is just as playful, climbs better, and descends like a champ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just an update - HT 2 developed a strange creaking when pedaling light to moderately, only when seated. Ahh easy fix! Must be seat or seat post related, right?

So, first thing I tried was cleaning / re greasing all things seat related. Nope.

Tried changing seats. Nope.

Thought it might be dropper post. Nope. Swapped out and creaking still there.

Greased all drop outs, axles. Nope.

Removed, re-greased front chain ring and crank threads. Nope.

Different pedals. Nope.

Tried different back wheel. Nope.

Only thing left was bottom bracket, or rear suspension linkage (didn't think it was the actual shock itself).

Disassembled rear linkage - there was a lot of grit that had built up and SC seems to install the lower linkage with a ton of grease. Cleaned off excess grease, wiped grit off, re greased the high / low bolt. Axle bolts and associated collet bolts were dirt free so left them alone.

Also dropped tiny bit of Tri-flow around all of the hanger linkages and where the shock connects to the bike.

Creak finally gone.

Super frustrating, I think I have spent about 4 hours trying to fix this. Anyway, just passing along in hopes this helps someone else. I am not sure what the ultimate cuplrit was (hanger linkage, shock interface in shock eyelets, or the lower linkage itself, but in any case, will have to keep an eye on this as time goes by.

As a side note, lower linkage is pretty easy to disassemble - pretty much like original HT except the high / low bolt that goes through the shock. Be sure to do all of this in an area that if something drops to the ground it will be easy to find - the seal covers at the end of the shock tend to drop out / down to the floor, as do the high / low nuts (there are two of those, one on each side of the shock). Also, the clearance between the high / low bolt and the seat stay is very tight, so be careful not to scratch your paint with your whatever tool you are using. I also removed the little shock guard to give myself more room, but this isn't necessary.
    I too developed the creak while sitting....

I was able to get off the bike, grab the seat post with one hand and grab the frame with the other hand and twist. I was able to reproduce the noise. It felt like it was coming from the heart of the Fox Dropper.

I ended up pulling the seat post and cleaned it off. I took off all the paste (I know it doesn't make sense) and put a little bit of ATB on the post then reinstalled.

Creak Gone. Originally thought it was the seat post clamp.

Doesn't make sense. I chased it for 3 rides.

Will monitor it myself too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    SC puts cable guide tubes inside their frames which makes it easy to route cables through. You basically just push them until they pop out the other side. Frames without guide tubes can be tricky to thread a cable though.
    I am glad for that but the metal connectors / Banjo yolk thingie must be removed prior to inserting into the frame. Seems above my pay grade/mental capacity/tool kit to do this

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    People have said the increase is 1.5-2lbs heavier, so less than 1 would be not bad at all!
    I think you are speaking to someone else in your response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Took my V2 to Davis, WV for some rocky/rooty/muddy lovin'. I was able to ride significantly more trail obstecales that I could with my Specialized Camber. I know, different type of bike.

After a day of that style of riding we went to Snowshoe for two days of lift service goodness. At 51 y/o am not one to air bike out too much but found my self comfortable with 4-5 foot drops and clearing 10' length doubles. Any flaws were mine and calmly addressed by this bike. While it's a bit heavy I am cool with that. All I changed was to some carbon 780 bars, rear gripshift, and added a token in the Yari. The SRAM brakes in front were changed to Shimano SLX with a 203mm rotor. I need to have a shop change the rear one out and I will increase the rear rotor to 203 as well. I am baffled as to why the bike in CCL came with a 180mm front rotor. Overall, the brakes were the worst I've ever used.

Happy? Hell yes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    In my opinion it's very similar to the V3 Bronson. However, I feel like it's a much better all-rounder. Both bikes are really stable and confidence inspiring. That said, I much prefer the HT2 and the 29" wheels. I've been in 29ers for yesterday so that could be a big factor. The Bronson just felt slower (especially in the flats). And for me, I think the HT is just as playful, climbs better, and descends like a champ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Downhill bump compliance/suppleness and support on both small and big hits were great on the Bronson. The best of what I've demo'd. It also had the wide tires and rims which probably added to this. You think the HT had the same feel in this regard? I need a demo but can't get on one anytime soon. My local shop got one large and sold it in 3 days.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think the HT2 is just as good (if not better) in the categories you mentioned liking with the Bronson. The larger wheels definitely add to the small bump suppleness. I rode the V3 Bronson with both the wider wheels and tires and with the "normal" one. Felt like the normal setup was FAR better in every way for the trail conditions in the SF bay area. The wider wheels just made the bike feel slow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman3371 View Post
    I too developed the creak while sitting....

I was able to get off the bike, grab the seat post with one hand and grab the frame with the other hand and twist. I was able to reproduce the noise. It felt like it was coming from the heart of the Fox Dropper.

I ended up pulling the seat post and cleaned it off. I took off all the paste (I know it doesn't make sense) and put a little bit of ATB on the post then reinstalled.

Creak Gone. Originally thought it was the seat post clamp.

Doesn't make sense. I chased it for 3 rides.

Will monitor it myself too.

Got back from a small ride yesterday with some chunky downhill (Bernardo Mountain here in SD) and once again creak was back. Locked out rear shock and creak got worse. Bouncing up and down on bike made it go away for a few pedal strokes but it seems to happen when the rear travel is in its sag area. Got it back to garage and loosened, re greased bolt circled below. When loosening the bolt, there was quite a bit of a dry squeaking sound which makes me hopeful. The bolt is the same type as in the lower linkage. Out again today to see if this solved the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Coming off several years of Specialized 29ers including Cambers, Stumpjumpers, and Enduros. Decided to splurge on the HT2 AXS build. Here are some first impressions after a solid day at Demo in the Santa Cruz mountains.
    That's it, im jealous

mtbr member
    May 2012
    "pro tip" on the linkage, once its sorted out (which might require brand new bearings btw, if theyre broken or too dirty to fix, sadly), put helicopter tape or similar on top of them, which prevents 100% of dirt from coming in from the exposed bolt side. While dirt can technically come in from the other side its much less likely and ive bearings that last years since i do this (vs a few month lol)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thoughts on Rockshox v Fox?

For one RS not as good looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    has anybody got any recent update on frame only availability?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    WTB - Possibly OGHT - HTLT

mtbr member

Hightower V2

Ride #3 report for the new Hightower 2.

First off, the creak is gone! Once again, if you find you have a creak somewhere around the sag point when pedaling while seated, check seat, seat clamp, etc. first but if that fails, it may be the lower bolt of the upper linkage hangar. Mine was very tight / squeaky when loosening it, and after re-greasing with SC marine grease, the problem has been fixed. Ahh, total silence.

And speaking of silence, this bike continues to impress on how quiet it is. Today I had the bike up at Greer Ranch just outside Temecula, CA (hot!) with the goal to dial in suspension settings, brake lever, and brake feel. Over all of the rocks, jumps and drops, I honestly didn't hear the chain slap once against the chain stay. This bike is just super quiet!

Originally, I had the rear shock PSI set to 260 (250 after the usual 10psi loss when disconnecting the shock pump) and approx 28% sag. I consulted SC tech support documentation on their website and was surprised on how low the PSI / sag they recommended, but decided to give it a shot - so being roughly 215 kitted, I lowered the PSI to 220 and noted the 30% sag on the shock after I did so. I wasn't fully kitted at this time, but would guess I was right at the 33% that SC recommends. I also lowered the rebound a few clicks as well.

Coming from Shimano XT brakes, the SRAM CODE RSC brakes are a bit difficult to dial in. The levers are longer, so that means they sit a bit more inboard on the bars compared to the XTs to get the lever where I like it. Also, note that the knurled knob to set the bite point goes the opposite direction as the other one. Same thing for the lever throw. I stopped a number of times on the trail to get the brakes feeling where I like them, but ultimately was able to get things how I like it. The CODE RSC brakes are much better than the Guides IMO.

Now onto the ride experience - I own both the OG HT as well as a 2017 Pivot Firebird 27.5 (170mm/170mm) which I use at Greer Ranch most of the time. The FB is the ultimate "don't worry, let the bike take care of everything" ride. However, the downside of that is it is a bit hard to pop off some of the jumps there. The OG HT at the same place requires a bit more thought and line choice - while capable, I would always opt for the Firebird for that particular location.

Today, I was really stoked to see that the HT2 seems to be the bike that covers pretty much everything I need it to. The steep STA really facilitates more efficient climbing up the many tight switchbacks. The plush suspension including the RS Lyric Ultimate fork and Super Deluxe Ultimate Select rear shock just soak up all of the rock gardens and jump landings. The slacker HTA (compared to the OG HT) and the longer reach (compared to both the OG HT and the FB) absolutely put me into the strike zone of how composed I feel on the FB. I didn't ride full out today as I am getting to know the bike, but I would say I used about 90% of my front and rear travel according to the "fun meter." :-) So I would say the suspension is pretty much dialed at this point (including some minor LSC adjustments for both fork (reduced it to reduce hand fatigue) and shock.

Love this bike!! It isn't just a slightly updated HT - it really is at another level altogether.

Last edited by SDMTB'er; 07-29-2019 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    has anybody got any recent update on frame only availability?!
    I got my frame order in today. Hoping to find out an ETA sometime in the next day or 2. When I find out I'll post it. Have you ordered yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    I got my frame order in today. Hoping to find out an ETA sometime in the next day or 2. When I find out I'll post it. Have you ordered yet?
    lbs would call me, I said I was in for a frame, guess I will have to call them.

online shops still talking end of Aug!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    lbs would call me, I said I was in for a frame, guess I will have to call them.

online shops still talking end of Aug!
    I figure it will take a while. If I see the frame anytime in September I will be stoked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    WTB - Possibly OGHT - HTLT

PM Me - L OGHT CC CO1 for sale - 3500. Excellent condition, cleaned after every ride. Suspension just serviced. New RF ARC 30 wheels with new DHR II tires. Raceface 6C carbon bars (780).

mtbr member
    Ride #4 on the new HT today - same place as yesterday. Took significant time (approx 6%) off my PR for one of the descents (prior record was with my 170mm Pivot FireBird). I normally pump a road gap jump that is near the top of the trail, but today I sent it and it felt super plush on the landing. Trails I did today before it got too hot were Overdrive and Distortion for anyone that is familiar with the area. :-) Very stoked on this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ride #4 on the new HT today - same place as yesterday. Took significant time (approx 6%) off my PR for one of the descents (prior record was with my 170mm Pivot FireBird). I normally pump a road gap jump that is near the top of the trail, but today I sent it and it felt super plush on the landing. Trails I did today before it got too hot were Overdrive and Distortion for anyone that is familiar with the area. :-) Very stoked on this bike.
    Thanks for the update. So overall is it better in every way than your OGHT?

I'm taking mine to Whistler this week and I'm deciding whether I go for the new one or not.
    2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ride #4 ....Overdrive and Distortion...
    Love those trails! Hoping to get back there this Fall when it cools down a bit. Can't wait to build my HT2 up. Waiting for parts suck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
    Thanks for the update. So overall is it better in every way than your OGHT?

I'm taking mine to Whistler this week and I'm deciding whether I go for the new one or not.
    Yes. In every way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toingtoing View Post
    Love those trails! Hoping to get back there this Fall when it cools down a bit. Can't wait to build my HT2 up. Waiting for parts suck.
    Itís the perfect bike for these trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been riding an XL S build w/ Reserves the last two days in the LOW setting on the perfect test loop containing both fast and flowy with big roots and baby heads, and slower very rocky tech (both up and down). I'm 6'2" and currently own the original HT with 160 36/X2 rear and ride the Alberta Rockies.

Overall, yeah the new HT has been a lot of fun. The rear end has been feeling really nice and compliant and handling the chunk very well, a VERY different feel from the harshness I experienced on the Megatower.

BTW, I checked the RSAirs on both the HT and MT, the HT comes with an LL code (light rebound, light compression), the MT comes MM (medium rebound, medium compression).

On the fast but rooty/rocky terrain the HT2 felt amazing, great stability, easy to throw around, and ate that shit up so well.

Climbing has been good, not great. Yes it absorbs the little rocks and roots nicely and feels efficient enough, slight bit of bob seated and more standing. However, I found myself still having to get weight over the front on steep sections, not quite as much as on my more choppered OGHT. I was on some fresh legs last night and feeling strong for a quick climbing time but I was slower than I felt it should have been (~2-4 min on a 40 min climb). Climbing on both the Yeti SB150 and 130 has been more positive, better traction, quicker, and less weighting needed over the front, the SA is still simply steeper on the Yetis.

In tech terrain which I excel at (think many crux moves on rock spines, power moves up rocky features, etc) I was getting hung up more than I would have liked. Basically with the low bottom bracket I was getting more pedal strikes (which wasn't a big deal as I could accommodate) and with the longer front end and my weight further back from centre I was stalling and hanging up (where the Yetis weren't). Riding an XL I feel either a steeper SA (like the Yetis) or a longer chain stay (like the MegaT) helps. The HIGH position probably would have helped some too.

Bottom line, I think a lot of people are going to be very happy with this bike, its such a great all rounder and yes, goes down better than its predecessor with a more compliant/reactive rear, and climbs more comfortably (albeit slower). For me, having now ridden the MT, HT2, SB130, SB150...I wish the the SB150 fit like the SCs. I'm also going to give the MT another go as I have NOT ridden it in the HIGH setting and now have a better understanding on why the two bikes (MT vs. HT2) behave differently.

mtbr member

Hightower V2

for those with the bike, howís the clearance around the bb area? I see people having a hard time finding a 30mm bb that fits due to rear triangle touching it in the megatower thread.

I have dub cranks but was hoping to use a ck 30mm bb since they will have a dub adapter out in august, aparently it doesnít fit the mega based on reports on that thread
    Last edited by mfa81; 07-31-2019 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    for those with the bike, howís the clearance around the bb area? I see people having a hard time finding a 30mm bb that fits due to rear teiangle touching it!

I have dub cranks but was hoping to use a ck 30mm bb since they will have a dub adapter out in august, aparently it doesnít fit the mega based on reports on that thread
    Thatís a great question. I was planning to use my race face next R cranks, if I canít Iím going to lose it!
    2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of RaceFace Next R installed on my HT2 with a RaceFace bottom bracket. No issues with fitment.
    The bottom bracket is just starting to make some noise so I will be in the market for a new one.
    Suggestions?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Robnow: I'm interested in what you're saying. I, too, am coming off a choppered HT in XL (also 6'2, long arms and legs) with an X2.

Moving down to one bike for a bit, riding in the Phoenix area. On paper, the HT2 looks perfect. Curious if your "slower" statements climbing are your feeling or data-driven based on historical Strava times.

Also curious about the long front center comments in comparison to the newer Yeti bikes. Aren't all of these bikes relatively close in geo? That's assuming you were riding XLs in all.

I'm off to go demo a Mega this morning on South Mountain, but won't be able to do a true demo on the HT2 as I'm in the market now and no demos locally on such a new rig.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Robnow: I'm interested in what you're saying. I, too, am coming off a choppered HT in XL (also 6'2, long arms and legs) with an X2.

Moving down to one bike for a bit, riding in the Phoenix area. On paper, the HT2 looks perfect. Curious if your "slower" statements climbing are your feeling or data-driven based on historical Strava times.

Also curious about the long front center comments in comparison to the newer Yeti bikes. Aren't all of these bikes relatively close in geo? That's assuming you were riding XLs in all.

I'm off to go demo a Mega this morning on South Mountain, but won't be able to do a true demo on the HT2 as I'm in the market now and no demos locally on such a new rig.
    Canít speak for Robnow but the new HT2 for me climbs better due to more sensitive suspension (without pedal bob - low speed compression is able to be set on both fork and shock), slacker HTA which deflects less over rocks while climbing (saving energy as not as much punch required to get over stuff) and steeper seat tube angle reduces need to shift weight forward around switchbacks or other steep and loose climbs, again saving energy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    for those with the bike, howís the clearance around the bb area? I see people having a hard time finding a 30mm bb that fits due to rear teiangle touching it!

I have Next SL in mine as well, with a standard RF bottom bracket. I am in the process of replacing it with a Wheels Mfg or a Rotor one. I also heard just replacing the bearings in the RF one is a huge improvement.
    Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    I have a set of RaceFace Next R installed on my HT2 with a RaceFace bottom bracket. No issues with fitment.
    The bottom bracket is just starting to make some noise so I will be in the market for a new one.
    Suggestions?
    if the ck doesnít fit Iím gonna try wheels mfg. since I need a dub Iíve heard good things of the sram bb and itís cheap so not the end of the world if I have to replace it as long as it lasts a season!

for 30mm Iíd try first ck and then wheels mfg

mtbr member
    if the ck doesnít fit Iím gonna try wheels mfg. since I need a dub Iíve heard good things of the sram bb and itís cheap so not the end of the world if I have to replace it as long as it lasts a season!

for 30mm Iíd try first ck and then wheels mfg
    Wheels mfg with my race face cranks. 2years with minimal maintenance, no problem. RF BB is the worst component RF has ever made. Went through 2 in 3months.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

To be fair, I've been thinking about which bike I would be happiest with and it's not an easy decision, also thinking I would be perfectly content if I decided on the Hightower2.

Climbing - while I mostly agree with SDMTB, for me it still doesn't compare to the way the Yetis climbed (I'm talking steep, tech, loose climbs). The way he describes climbing on the HT2 is how I feel on the Yetis, and to a lesser degree on the SCs. Why I climbed slower I can't explain. I'm quite a fast climber and consistent, and as I said, I felt like I was on a heater of a climbing time, felt good, strong, smooth, yet my Strava showed a slow time compared to recent rides including the Yetis. I didn't feel more sluggish on the HT2, but I do suppose I feel a bit more 'sprightly' on my personal setup (and I run 2.5 DHF f/r with insert in the rear; I do find DHFs to be faster rolling than DHR2). The Hightower2 is a lesser build so maybe the weight factors in. I still feel the effective SA especially for those of us on bigger bikes (XL, XXL) is slacker on the HT2/Mega vs. SB130/150 (weight is more forward of the rear wheel putting us more centred and providing better traction).

Front centre - while I like these bigger/longer bikes, I feel for those of us again on XL/XXL the front centre/rear centre ratio is becoming too skewed/imbalanced. I personally wish they put the longer chain stay of the XXL onto the XL as well. I have a buddy sponsored by Forbidden and his XL has a 450mm chain stay length AND it grows as you compress the suspension, would love to give it a go but he lives a few hours away. Geometry wise, yes the SB130/MT/HT2 all have very similar geo with the SB130 having the advantage of the steeper SA putting our weight more forward/centred. The SB150 however, its another 17mm longer in the front and I feel it, more limo like, I'm hoping its something I can get used to.

I've been saying I need to try the Mega in the HIGH position, well I should have ridden the HT2 in the HIGH position as well. While it felt great in LOW on the faster but rough loop, HIGH position would have benefited the more technical loop.

mtbr member
    To be fair, I've been thinking about which bike I would be happiest with and it's not an easy decision, also thinking I would be perfectly content if I decided on the Hightower2.

Climbing - while I mostly agree with SDMTB, for me it still doesn't compare to the way the Yetis climbed (I'm talking steep, tech, loose climbs). The way he describes climbing on the HT2 is how I feel on the Yetis, and to a lesser degree on the SCs. Why I climbed slower I can't explain. I'm quite a fast climber and consistent, and as I said, I felt like I was on a heater of a climbing time, felt good, strong, smooth, yet my Strava showed a slow time compared to recent rides including the Yetis. I didn't feel more sluggish on the HT2, but I do suppose I feel a bit more 'sprightly' on my personal setup (and I run 2.5 DHF f/r with insert in the rear; I do find DHFs to be faster rolling than DHR2). The Hightower2 is a lesser build so maybe the weight factors in. I still feel the effective SA especially for those of us on bigger bikes (XL, XXL) is slacker on the HT2/Mega vs. SB130/150 (weight is more forward of the rear wheel putting us more centred and providing better traction).

Front centre - while I like these bigger/longer bikes, I feel for those of us again on XL/XXL the front centre/rear centre ratio is becoming too skewed/imbalanced. I personally wish they put the longer chain stay of the XXL onto the XL as well. I have a buddy sponsored by Forbidden and his XL has a 450mm chain stay length AND it grows as you compress the suspension, would love to give it a go but he lives a few hours away. Geometry wise, yes the SB130/MT/HT2 all have very similar geo with the SB130 having the advantage of the steeper SA putting our weight more forward/centred. The SB150 however, its another 17mm longer in the front and I feel it, more limo like, I'm hoping its something I can get used to.

I've been saying I need to try the Mega in the HIGH position, well I should have ridden the HT2 in the HIGH position as well. While it felt great in LOW on the faster but rough loop, HIGH position would have benefited the more technical loop.
    Good followup - I have never ridden a Yeti so can't comment. My comparisons are targeted towards the OG HT. Also I ride a large so can't comment either on how Yeti handles STA for XL and above frames. I think I *may* notice the weight difference of a lower build HT 2 compared to other bikes (i.e., Yeti, etc.) especially if they are under 30 lbs. A lower build C frame HT 2 could well exceed 32 pounds and with DHRII's would definitely not feel as light or roll as well as a CC build, with DHF / DHR II setup (like mine currently has), carbon rims, etc. But the extra pound-ish increase of the HT2 CC XO1 I have is felt as an advantage when descending due to the longer frame (read: more frame material) and more weight from the newer lower linkage config. I definitely climb with less effort than on my OGHT for the reasons above. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    but I do suppose I feel a bit more 'sprightly' on my personal setup (and I run 2.5 DHF f/r with insert in the rear; I do find DHFs to be faster rolling than DHR2). The Hightower2 is a lesser build so maybe the weight factors in. I still feel the effective SA especially for those of us on bigger bikes (XL, XXL) is slacker on the HT2/Mega vs. SB130/150 (weight is more forward of the rear wheel putting us more centred and providing better traction).
    Does a 3C 2.5 dhf really roll faster than a 2.4 3C dhr2? I never have been much of a fan of the dhr2 and always preferred the dhf on the narrower 2.3 maxxis sizes so I am curious now about trying it.
    I think I *may* notice the weight difference of a lower build HT 2 compared to other bikes (i.e., Yeti, etc.) especially if they are under 30 lbs. A lower build C frame HT 2 could well exceed 32 pounds and with DHRII's would definitely not feel as light or roll as well as a CC build, with DHF / DHR II setup (like mine currently has), carbon rims, etc. But the extra pound-ish increase of the HT2 CC XO1 I have is felt as an advantage when descending due to the longer frame (read: more frame material) and more weight from the newer lower linkage config. I definitely climb with less effort than on my OGHT for the reasons above. :-)
    In regard to both of these comments, I rode the yeti sb130 awhile back before demoing an ht2 and went with the HT2. Unless I am missing something, the yeti comes with faster rolling tires, is lighter, and I am actually a size down on Yetis compared to SC bikes, so I wouldn't be surprised if a yeti climbed a bit quicker. For example, if you are 5'10" a large santa cruz is perfect but yeti says to go with their medium and I felt happy on the medium I rode, but the medium yeti has different geo I think.

Also, assuming we are talking about the sb130 vs the HT2, the sb130 comes with a 2.5 dhf front and 2.3 aggressor rear and I can confirm that the 2.3 aggressor will climb a bit faster.

I can't remember how the suspension worked on the yeti but the HT2 was very efficient on smooth climbs, I would assume the sb130 might be a tiny bit more efficient do to the less travel but IDK. I do feel like the seat position of the HT2 puts me more over the top of the pedals than the yeti does so there might be different muscles involved in climbing too.

I expect the sb150 will climb slower than the sb130 based on feedback from people I've talked to and maybe even worse than the HT2.

Anyways, I went with the HT2 so that says what bike I personally liked better. The sb130 loved to pop off of stuff surprisingly well but the rebound may have just been set way too high on the demo bike so IDK, but the HT2 geo is amazing. Even if the sb130 climbs faster/ better and the HT2 is sluggish on climbs (and that's an "if"), there are enough advantages to go for an HT2 over a sb130 assuming the builds are the same. But the baragin gx build for the yeti may be better than the SC s build (yeti comes with 350 hubs and SC 370s? I forget).

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I liked the Mega I demo'd today (stock S build air, size XL), but it was A LOT of bike, even for South Mountain in Phoenix. I could see it as a second big bike or if I shuttled more, but I ended up going for the HT2. Without a test ride.

mtbr member
    I liked the Mega I demo'd today (stock S build air, size XL), but it was A LOT of bike, even for South Mountain in Phoenix. I could see it as a second big bike or if I shuttled more, but I ended up going for the HT2. Without a test ride.
    Good choice. I rode my mega on south mountain and took it on the lemmon drop a few weeks ago. While it was completely at home on the lemmon drop, it was definitely a noticeably long bike on national trail and on a few of the others I rode on south mountain. That was really my first true weekend on the mega, so I wasn't quite used to it's size. I am now, and I'm much more comfortable maneuvering it on technical terrain, but that being said the kind of ledgy climbing where you have to change directions and go right back into an explosive ledgy climb the mega showed it's size and travel. My only reservation is that the thing I notice most about my mega vs my trance adv 29 (both XL) is the wheelbase. The hightower, size for size, is the same wheelbase so really the defining thing between the two is just the travel and pedaling efficiency.

Either way, I could live with my mega in your local stuff. It's not the optimum bike for daily usage there... which is why I have it sharing a stable with a trail bike. I think if you're going for a more well rounded package the HT is a no brainer. Seems like the perfect bike for the pheonix terrian. Well... I think technically the switchblade with a 1 degree slacker head tube angle, 3 degree steeper seat tube angle and 20mm longer is the perfect bike. Basically a HT with the chainstays from a switchblade... now that would be the perfect phx bike to me.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, climbing National on it was a chore. Granted, it's monsoon season and it was about 85 degrees with 100% humidity when we started.

Interestingly, I thought the Mega climbed quite well and was efficient. But big ledge after big ledge up the mountain just flat wore me out. It was pretty bomber coming down, totally erased the Waterfall like it wasn't there. I did notice on the bottom third of National, where it's fastest and the chop is the most extreme, the rear -- while tracking straight -- felt a little harsh and almost hangy on square edges.

Still, fast bike for sure. Reminded me very much of my YT Capra 29, except it pedals much better.

I do think the HT2 is the better choice for an all-rounder, though I have to admit, if the new Ripley had just a touch more travel, I might've gone for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I do think the HT2 is the better choice for an all-rounder, though I have to admit, if the new Ripley had just a touch more travel, I might've gone for it.
    Then why not Ripmo?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I had a Ripmo that I should not have sold, but did. I'm not always successful, but I try not to buy the same bike again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    good god you two...
    Yeah. Skip a burger this week and drop a deuce before the ride. Problem solved.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think the HT2 is just as good (if not better) in the categories you mentioned liking with the Bronson. The larger wheels definitely add to the small bump suppleness. I rode the V3 Bronson with both the wider wheels and tires and with the "normal" one. Felt like the normal setup was FAR better in every way for the trail conditions in the SF bay area. The wider wheels just made the bike feel slow.
    Gotcha. I liked the wide wheels/tires but only ride up here and generally much less of the xc type trails. With the HT though, Iíd have no choice so a skinner setup it is!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    There were a handful of fear-mongering idiots posting incorrect weight numbers from the previous model year. One guy was saying that an S-build from 2018 was 28.5 lbs. If true (it wasn't), that would be miraculously 3 lbs lighter than my S-build from 2017.
    Whether it was right or not, it's what was listed on Santa Cruz's site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181214...n-US/hightower

mtbr member
    May 2015
    We usually start at 530 am (driving from SD) to beat the crowds and heat. Although last weekend the crowds were already there at the break of dawn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Just ordered my hightower! I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bermymiyan View Post
    Just ordered my hightower! I can't wait.
    Congratulations!

I demo'd one for a little while yesterday. I'm impressed for sure. Definitely climbs better, noticed ZERO pedal bob, and seemed easier and quicker in the tight switch backs. This is compared to my 2018 Hightower.

I am going to have to figure out how to sell a kidney.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Finally managed to track down a demo ride so will get a shot on one in a couple of weeks, lets see how it compares to the ripmo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bike porn for those waiting:

AXS upgrade ordered.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just picked up my XL S build yesterday. I'll get the touch points sorted today and shakedown on National Trail at South Mountain in Phoenix on Saturday.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Just picked up my XL S build yesterday. I'll get the touch points sorted today and shakedown on National Trail at South Mountain in Phoenix on Saturday.
    Nice! Can't wait to hear what you think.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    First ride in the books and it was a hoot. I'll keep this to initial impressions as it takes me several weeks to formulate a strong opinion of a bike.

XL S build, ridden mostly stock except grips and tires. I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape, 180 pounds before gear. Ran 20% sag front and 30% rear.

South Mountain Park in Phoenix, up Mormon Loop, up National to Buena Vista, back down National. Rode this same route on Wednesday on a Megatower demo (also XL, S build). Overall, 10 minutes faster on the HT2 vs the Mega on a 90-minute ride. Peak speed was 3mph faster on the Mega (which is a wrecking ball), but average speed faster on the HT2. That's not to mention clear trails on the Mega ride, vs. Saturday morning crowds today.

Another reference point, the Strava segment called "National DH." It's roughly half a mile toward the bottom of the trail, overall the steepest and the roughest with ledge after ledge and high-speed square edges. I find this a great tool for assessing suspension performance and tracking. My fastest time was on a dialed Ripmo that I'd been riding awhile; 2:25, which puts me historically in about the top 6-7 percentile on that downhill section.

First ride on the Mega, which was clean with no oncoming traffic: 2:27.

First ride on the HT2, which was not clean and had to speed check for oncoming traffic: 2:30. But the HT2 actually felt better through this section with the plush rear. The speed will come as I get used to the bike.

Pretty pleased with my choice at this stage. HT2 doesn't FEEL as big as the Mega, slightly better pedaling platform seated, I felt like it had more support when you come out of the saddle for climbing ledges and whatnot, which we do a lot of here.

Plus, I managed to yardsale down the infamous Waterfall obstacle in front of a crowd, so got my first crash out of the way.

Looking forward to cooler weather and more time on this bike.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    IMG_0633 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

mtbr member

Hightower V2

Just an update - still dealing with noise issues on my HT 2 - mainly dealing with RS Reverb Stealth posts and what I believe was some additional squeaking from the upper bolt of the hanger which I think I have addressed. Two different posts had significant side to side play creating a very obvious and annoying creaking and knocking sound while putting any decent effort into pedaling. Leaning bike against wall and pushing on any part of the post caused the same knocking sound. LBS has installed third dropper on bike so hoping this particular post does the trick.

mtbr member
    First ride in the books and it was a hoot. I'll keep this to initial impressions as it takes me several weeks to formulate a strong opinion of a bike.

XL S build, ridden mostly stock except grips and tires. I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape, 180 pounds before gear. Ran 20% sag front and 30% rear.

South Mountain Park in Phoenix, up Mormon Loop, up National to Buena Vista, back down National. Rode this same route on Wednesday on a Megatower demo (also XL, S build). Overall, 10 minutes faster on the HT2 vs the Mega on a 90-minute ride. Peak speed was 3mph faster on the Mega (which is a wrecking ball), but average speed faster on the HT2. That's not to mention clear trails on the Mega ride, vs. Saturday morning crowds today.

Another reference point, the Strava segment called "National DH." It's roughly half a mile toward the bottom of the trail, overall the steepest and the roughest with ledge after ledge and high-speed square edges. I find this a great tool for assessing suspension performance and tracking. My fastest time was on a dialed Ripmo that I'd been riding awhile; 2:25, which puts me historically in about the top 6-7 percentile on that downhill section.

First ride on the Mega, which was clean with no oncoming traffic: 2:27.

First ride on the HT2, which was not clean and had to speed check for oncoming traffic: 2:30. But the HT2 actually felt better through this section with the plush rear. The speed will come as I get used to the bike.

Pretty pleased with my choice at this stage. HT2 doesn't FEEL as big as the Mega, slightly better pedaling platform seated, I felt like it had more support when you come out of the saddle for climbing ledges and whatnot, which we do a lot of here.

Plus, I managed to yardsale down the infamous Waterfall obstacle in front of a crowd, so got my first crash out of the way.

Looking forward to cooler weather and more time on this bike.
    Awesome review!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Have had a few rides on the HT2 now and it continues to impress me. I'm still dialing in the rear suspension but all in all the bike is really a confidence booster. Super solid and stable. Climbs really well too. I've yet to even use the rear shock "climb mode". Right now my primary concern is that there's not much at all I want to change :-). After all, tweaking parts is like 60% of mountain biking isn't it?

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Rode this same route on Wednesday on a Megatower demo (also XL, S build). Overall, 10 minutes faster on the HT2 vs the Mega on a 90-minute ride.
    Considering the only major differences between the bikes are 20mm travel and 316g heavier tires (each), how much of the time delta do you attribute to these factors?
    My ultimate question is with identical builds (including forks), would you really notice a difference in pedaling between Mega and HT2? Or would you only notice the better DH performance in the Mega? Back when I was considering Bronson2 vs Nomad3 I ended up picking N3 because I felt the better DH was more noticeable then the minor pedal efficiency gain with B2.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I felt the same way about the Bronson vs. Nomad a couple years back (previous gen). I owned both simultaneously and sold the Bronson. The N3 was better downhill and I thought it was a pretty decent climber.

Not so clear on the HT2 vs Mega in my mind. But you have to take it with a grain of salt, given such limited ride time. And I did swap tires on the HT2.

I set both suspensions exactly the same as far as sag. The Mega was in low/short; the HT2 in low. I thought the FEEL of the HT2 suspension was superior, more plush and -- oddly enough -- less hangy feeling. The Mega was FAST. Like instantly fast; the bike is a ripper.

But the Mega also ate my lunch on the climb; I felt much fresher at the top of the same climb on the HT2. What's weird to me is the Mega felt, well, pretty normal as a seated climber. The dimensions don't back this up, but the Mega just felt like a lot more bike to me.

If you already have a dialed trail bike, the Mega is a no-brainer. But I was looking to move down to a single do-it-all rig, so the HT2 just made more sense.

shredthŲgnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster View Post
    Considering the only major differences between the bikes are 20mm travel and 316g heavier tires (each), how much of the time delta do you attribute to these factors?
    My ultimate question is with identical builds (including forks), would you really notice a difference in pedaling between Mega and HT2? Or would you only notice the better DH performance in the Mega? Back when I was considering Bronson2 vs Nomad3 I ended up picking N3 because I felt the better DH was more noticeable then the minor pedal efficiency gain with B2.

afaik also the damper tune is lighter on ht2

ive been sitting on the fence on the question of ht2 vs mt but ended up going the latter to be able to fit a coil or a big air shock for lift duties

shredthŲgnar
    also until someone proves me wrong I am going to stick to the conspiracy theory of SC limiting shock options of ht2 on purpose and I do not want to support such practices :-)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great discussion between the HT and MT amongst other bikes, this is very good info. I am looking at similar bikes.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    I felt the same way about the Bronson vs. Nomad a couple years back (previous gen). I owned both simultaneously and sold the Bronson. The N3 was better downhill and I thought it was a pretty decent climber.

Not so clear on the HT2 vs Mega in my mind. But you have to take it with a grain of salt, given such limited ride time. And I did swap tires on the HT2.

I set both suspensions exactly the same as far as sag. The Mega was in low/short; the HT2 in low. I thought the FEEL of the HT2 suspension was superior, more plush and -- oddly enough -- less hangy feeling. The Mega was FAST. Like instantly fast; the bike is a ripper.

But the Mega also ate my lunch on the climb; I felt much fresher at the top of the same climb on the HT2. What's weird to me is the Mega felt, well, pretty normal as a seated climber. The dimensions don't back this up, but the Mega just felt like a lot more bike to me.

If you already have a dialed trail bike, the Mega is a no-brainer. But I was looking to move down to a single do-it-all rig, so the HT2 just made more sense.
    Even more interesting is how you say the HT2 was more plush. Plush usually = less efficient for climbing. I hear you on being tough to judge with limited ride time. Some days my HTLT feels dialed and other days harsh.
    Slugs love beer.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm happy to parse some more specific data, particularly as it relates to climbing. Again, this is data taken from two rides, so not really representative other than as a point in time. However, they were three days apart with identical trails conditions, so it's somewhat apples-apples.

I'll use the main climb up South Mountain I did on both bikes. From the parking lot, up Mormon Loop, then up National trail to the Buena Vista saddle. It's just a touch under 5 miles and a touch over 1000 vertical feet. Those are relatively tough miles.

My personal PR on this climb is 1 hour 1 min. That was last December in great weather on a Ripmo.

Same climb on the HT2 in sweltering desert monsoon conditions (90 degrees at 6:30 am and nearly 100% humidity): 1:26

Same climb on the Mega in sweltering desert monsoon conditions (90 degrees at 6:30 am and nearly 100% humidity): 1:52

I felt relatively good after the HT2 climb given the weather. I felt markedly worse on the Mega. Remember, these were both first rides on these bikes, so I wasn't familiar with either. Also, I was with another rider on the Mega and alone on the HT2.

Again, not sure how useful these numbers are, but happy share them.

mtbr member
    Did you mean the longer time was on the MT?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Good catch. Edited.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Finally got my hightower and rode it, the two concerns I had before about the bike turned out to not really be an issue. My first concern was the seatpost being too long but the post can be inserted all the way to its collar so it fits fine even for those of us on the shorter end of the size chart.

The second concern was that the DHR2s are pretty slow, and although they aren't the quickest tires ever I felt like I climbed okay, I pedaled fine on the flats, and I had enough grip when descending. I was going to get rid of the rear dhr2 for something else but I think I'll leave them as is.

The bike actually climbed pretty quick, I was just a tiny bit short of my personal record that I set on my old bike which is shorter travel (but probably 0.5 pounds heavier than the hightower) with some light I9 wheels and 2.3 maxxis dhf/ aggressor which are quite a bit quicker rolling. Side-by-side I don't think I will ever be able to beat my older bike with the hightower for climbing but I think the difference was pretty acceptable considering that the hightower has slower rolling tires, I was tired, the bike still has quite a bit of adjustments needed on it, and the weather conditions were worse than when I set my personal record.

Its a lot of bike to get around tight banked corners but even that it does pretty well. Maybe I would have been better off with a 27.5 bike for that though or a sb130 for the shorter wheelbase but the stability the long wheelbase provides allowed for me to attack corners harder than I have ever before.

I still had about 20-30mm of travel available on the fork when riding it at 25% sag, so I think that means I need to remove a token? I forget how that works, the fork and rear suspension felt great but if I could use more of the travel then that would be good.

Anyways, I am pretty happy with the bike! I still think that the bike would be better for my personal needs if it had a 140/135mm travel setup like the OGHT but I can't complain about the extra travel and its a good bike for sure. We will have to wait to see how the TB4 stacks up but I think for me the HT was the better choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_futurist View Post
    also until someone proves me wrong I am going to stick to the conspiracy theory of SC limiting shock options of ht2 on purpose and I do not want to support such practices :-)
    The shock tunnel is pretty tight on the HT, IDK why they designed it that way but I can see how there might be an issue running an X2 or coil or something like that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I saw the new HT2 and Megatower the other day at a local bike shop. The shock tunnel is definitely wider on the Megatower vs HT2 .

mtbr member
    I now have three good rides in on my HT2 (coming from HTLT).

I am mostly used to but still adapting to the position on the bike and the geometry compared to the HTLT. And still tweaking suspension a little bit.

But, my really brief summary of what I think after three rides is:

The bike is superior to the HTLT in: feeling plush, feeling composed in the air and landing, fast technical descents, feeling composed climbing.

The one area where I will give the slight nod to the HTLT is just basic efficiency. I would say the HT2 is slightly less efficient, even though it feels more composed climbing it feels like a little bit more work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I had a little accident with my rear shock. Would 00 4118 283 005 be the correct shock to replace it with?

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    You are probably dead on with this. From what Iíve seen the HT2 frame and shock is roughly 1 pound heavier than HTLT. So if all components are equal you are moving an extra pound around = more work.
    Do you think the benefits outweigh this?
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    You are probably dead on with this. From what Iíve seen the HT2 frame and shock is roughly 1 pound heavier than HTLT. So if all components are equal you are moving an extra pound around = more work.
    Do you think the benefits outweigh this?
    Generally yes. The HT2 is a fairly incredible bike, my main concern was that I was going to feel like, oh this really isn't that much different than my HTLT. Which isn't the case at all.

And on the efficiency nod, it's a slight nod, not a glaring difference.

All that said, I still think the HTLT is a pretty great bike, but I'm glad I went with the HT2 as a replacement for it.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Iíve been between HT2 and Mega. Definitely donít want to give up any pedaling efficiency to HTLT. Did you ever demo a Mega? I wonít be able to where I live.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagesforsegways View Post
    I had a little accident with my rear shock. Would 00 4118 283 005 be the correct shock to replace it with?
    A little accident? Do tell..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Iíve been between HT2 and Mega. Definitely donít want to give up any pedaling efficiency to HTLT.
    The Mega is a completely different climbing beast to the HT2...end!

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    As in much worse Iím assuming???
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    I now have three good rides in on my HT2 (coming from HTLT).

I am mostly used to but still adapting to the position on the bike and the geometry compared to the HTLT. And still tweaking suspension a little bit.

But, my really brief summary of what I think after three rides is:

The bike is superior to the HTLT in: feeling plush, feeling composed in the air and landing, fast technical descents, feeling composed climbing.

The one area where I will give the slight nod to the HTLT is just basic efficiency. I would say the HT2 is slightly less efficient, even though it feels more composed climbing it feels like a little bit more work.

-Are you using the Climb-Switch on the shock to firm things up Mike???
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Iíve been between HT2 and Mega. Definitely donít want to give up any pedaling efficiency to HTLT. Did you ever demo a Mega? I wonít be able to where I live.
    The Mega is a completely different climbing beast to the HT2...end!
    As in much worse Iím assuming???
    I rode the HT V2,Megatower, and HTLT and went with the Hightower, I can't give an accurate comparison about climbing since I only spent ~1 hour on the megatower but in summary:

HT V2: Plush do it all trailbike that is agile enough and capable at tackling some crazy terrain.
    Megatower: Full enduro bike that really needs steep terrain and crazy-rough terrain to make it worth going to it over the hightower and to keep its momentum up. I'd agree with those who liked how the hightower rear suspension worked but didn't like the megatower as much.

I rode the hightower LT too long ago to give any worthwhile feedback.

So, this probably doesn't help much but if you are stuck between the mega and HT v2, you need to consider what you are looking for. I think for most people the Hightower is going to be the right bike and the megatower is only going to be right for those who exclusively ride some extreme downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I got a chance to demo a carbon S Hightower 2 in Whistler last weekend. I currently ride a 2016 hightower CC x01 (11 speed), enve m60s, and a float X2.

If I were to buy a HT2 it would be the S build and Iíd move some of my parts over.

I thought that with the difference in components and weight, the S build would feel like a tank compared to my bike. I was surprised to find out that it really didnít.

I rode some really rooty, rocky, trails with techy climbs and rock slab descents. The bike climbed well, climbed tech well, and descended well. I thought the rear suspension felt good, I was worried that the reduced offset fork would deaden the steering, but that wasnít an issue.

There was nothing I disliked about the bike, but I also didnít feel like I must have it.

Still thinking about it, I returned the bike, grabbed mine, and took the lift up to ride Top of the World and descended 5,000 feet back to town. On that ride I realized I still love my OGHT, though in the really fast chop my friend on his megatower with a push 11-6 barreled down on me.

My bike is faster pedaling than the HT2, but my bike is highly upgraded. Nothing stood out as worlds better with the new bike, but more like an incremental improvement compared to mine. Maybe if I rode it on trails I am more familiar with.

I will continue to think about it, but at this time I think I will keep riding my OGHT until spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-316f0b8f-a73d-445b-be6c-a722b649f396.jpg  

2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Finally got my hightower and rode it, the two concerns I had before about the bike turned out to not really be an issue. My first concern was the seatpost being too long but the post can be inserted all the way to its collar so it fits fine even for those of us on the shorter end of the size chart.
    how tall r u and what size dis you go for? Iím right in between sizes as well according to their size chart but still havenít had a chance to demo to find out the right size for me! :-(

seems like you sized up!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Toddzilla: Interesting assessment. I just came off a OGHT, overforked with Push ACS3 and an X2. Really good bike.

I feel like the new HT2 is the sort of progression you'd expect. The new bike feels heavier when you pick it up, but pedals pretty light. I think climbing/flat performance is probably close to a push, with the older rig maybe winning just due to weight.

The new rig I think is going to be much more of a descending monster than the older bike. It's just so plush and quiet.

mtbr member
    I'm happy to parse some more specific data, particularly as it relates to climbing. Again, this is data taken from two rides, so not really representative other than as a point in time. However, they were three days apart with identical trails conditions, so it's somewhat apples-apples.

I'll use the main climb up South Mountain I did on both bikes. From the parking lot, up Mormon Loop, then up National trail to the Buena Vista saddle. It's just a touch under 5 miles and a touch over 1000 vertical feet. Those are relatively tough miles.

My personal PR on this climb is 1 hour 1 min. That was last December in great weather on a Ripmo.

Same climb on the HT2 in sweltering desert monsoon conditions (90 degrees at 6:30 am and nearly 100% humidity): 1:26

Same climb on the Mega in sweltering desert monsoon conditions (90 degrees at 6:30 am and nearly 100% humidity): 1:52

I felt relatively good after the HT2 climb given the weather. I felt markedly worse on the Mega. Remember, these were both first rides on these bikes, so I wasn't familiar with either. Also, I was with another rider on the Mega and alone on the HT2.

Again, not sure how useful these numbers are, but happy share them.
    That's a significant difference between the HT2 and Mega! Thanks for sharing this, very eye opening to say the least!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    how tall r u and what size dis you go for? Iím right in between sizes as well according to their size chart but still havenít had a chance to demo to find out the right size for me! :-(

seems like you sized up!
    I normally say 5'10" but I'm actually closer to 5'9.5" I think really, I went for the large. I usually am a large in most brands but some large bikes are just a bit too big in terms of reach and occasionally have issues with dropper posts being too long. But then most mediums are too small but for some brands like yeti the medium is the right size for me. I checked again today and actually I can raise up my seatpost probably another 0.5-1 cm, so I think the SC size chart is pretty accurate.

But yeah I am sort of in the in-between sizes area for most manufacturers although Sc bikes fit me well. I think most of the issues I had with dropper posts being too long was for older bikes, I think most bikes that are released now are more appropriately designed and allow for you to fit a long dropper just fine.

Edit: Anyways the hightower fits great! Depending on how close you are to the size cutoff it may be tricky but I think the SC sizes are fairly accurate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    me:
    6í7Ē
    37Ē inseam

bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower V2.0 2020 XXL

Great Perfect fit. Zero complaints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-8ce97dc8-0818-4467-954a-c64d515030e6.jpg  

Hightower V2-ecea5fa3-e9a6-4c0a-a386-36fb9b43c4cb.jpg  

Hightower V2-0b4bb9a7-4307-4a40-a71b-0d78b38ababc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You make those wheels look like 26" lol

mtbr member
    I did demo the mega, I posted about it somewhere. Only disclaimer was that it was an S build kit but while it was a blast in certain places it definitely was more bike to push around (which makes sense). For example, there is a long, technical climb I do on a ride that I've done countless times, when I finished the climb on the mega it was definitely starting to feel more like work, which on any of my other bikes including the HTLT and now the HT2 it never does.

So like a lot of others have said, what it came down to for me was what is the vast majority of my time on the bike going to be, which is technical trail riding (i.e. I don't do a ton of shuttle rides or lift days). So the HT2 was better choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    I did demo the mega, I posted about it somewhere. Only disclaimer was that it was an S build kit but while it was a blast in certain places it definitely was more bike to push around (which makes sense). For example, there is a long, technical climb I do on a ride that I've done countless times, when I finished the climb on the mega it was definitely starting to feel more like work, which on any of my other bikes including the HTLT and now the HT2 it never does.

So like a lot of others have said, what it came down to for me was what is the vast majority of my time on the bike going to be, which is technical trail riding (i.e. I don't do a ton of shuttle rides or lift days). So the HT2 was better choice.
    I came from a OGHT and moved all the parts except fork over to a megatower frame and i my opinion it climbs just as well as the hightower, but that is also with lighter tires than standard on MT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    After selling the bike - I can say I truly liked it ... great comfortable fit ...

In comparison to xt pro - imo GX fell short noticeably...

Iím also a Fox guy ... I had a bluto few years ago and it sucked maybe that was in my head ...

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    After selling the bike - I can say I truly liked it ... great comfortable fit ...

In comparison to xt pro - imo GX fell short noticeably...

Iím also a Fox guy ... I had a bluto few years ago and it sucked maybe that was in my head ...

You sold a HT2 already? What did you go to?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    You sold a HT2 already? What did you go to?
    Pivot Trail 429

mtbr member
    Whatís everyone running for PSI / Sag on the H2

I am 210 kitted

105 psi fork / 25 %
    230 psi shock 30 %

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Whatís everyone running for PSI / Sag on the H2

I am 210 kitted

105 psi fork / 25 %
    230 psi shock 30 %
    I found just at riding weight to get 30%, so at 195 I went about 195psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I got a chance to demo a carbon S Hightower 2 in Whistler last weekend. I currently ride a 2016 hightower CC x01 (11 speed), enve m60s, and a float X2.

If I were to buy a HT2 it would be the S build and Iíd move some of my parts over.

I thought that with the difference in components and weight, the S build would feel like a tank compared to my bike. I was surprised to find out that it really didnít.

I rode some really rooty, rocky, trails with techy climbs and rock slab descents. The bike climbed well, climbed tech well, and descended well. I thought the rear suspension felt good, I was worried that the reduced offset fork would deaden the steering, but that wasnít an issue.

There was nothing I disliked about the bike, but I also didnít feel like I must have it.

Still thinking about it, I returned the bike, grabbed mine, and took the lift up to ride Top of the World and descended 5,000 feet back to town. On that ride I realized I still love my OGHT, though in the really fast chop my friend on his megatower with a push 11-6 barreled down on me.

My bike is faster pedaling than the HT2, but my bike is highly upgraded. Nothing stood out as worlds better with the new bike, but more like an incremental improvement compared to mine. Maybe if I rode it on trails I am more familiar with.

I will continue to think about it, but at this time I think I will keep riding my OGHT until spring.

-Keep in mind, you can update/upgrade your Fork to a reduced offset model on your OGHT and get some of the benefit of these modern geometry offerings... SCB did this on last seasons HT's whereas bikes like yours (and mine) came with 51's.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Not sure if the "juice will be worth the squeeze" with where i have my OGHT at.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgtopdeck View Post
    me:
    6í7Ē
    37Ē inseam

bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower V2.0 2020 XXL

Great Perfect fit. Zero complaints.
    It really seems like SC listened to the need for higher stack measurements. I am 6'4.5" and have not enjoyed the lowering of bikes lately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Hightower v2 -> DVO Diamond + Topaz

Hi, if anyone is wondering, the DVO Topaz fits fine on the new Hightower v2. I have been using DVO's on my recent SC bikes and it works like a dream.

20mm mounting kit front and 30 mm rear.

Coming from the current Bronson this "BrohTower 160" is like a 29'er Bronson! Playful but still confident when things get burly.

Hightower V2-20190806_180044-sc-hightower2-1024x.jpg

Hightower V2-20190806_174136.jpg
    SC HightowerV2 / X01 / Reserve / DVO Diamond/Topaz / Deity
    Team Santa Cruz Norway / GoPro Ambassador

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Have you fit 160mm forks then? Does anyone know what effect it has on particularly the seat tube and climbing to go for the longer forks.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Anyone compare the HT2 back to back with an SB130?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone compare the HT2 back to back with an SB130?
    I'm interested in this comparison too. I thought I was sold on the new HT but after seeing the colours in the flesh I wasn't exactly enamored so I'm back to looking at other options.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Folks certainly have different priorities. I would never let a color palette deter me from an otherwise awesome bike.

I didn't like either color on the screen. When I saw both in person, the tan really popped for me, but not the blue. Do wish it was more matte, but I'm pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Chick View Post
    Have you fit 160mm forks then? Does anyone know what effect it has on particularly the seat tube and climbing to go for the longer forks.
    10mm longer fork=half degree slacker HTA and STA. It'll take a few mm off the reach, add a few to the wheelbase. Result in a marginally less optimal climbing position, but still plenty steep and probably well worth the trade-off if you want more travel upfront.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Folks certainly have different priorities. I would never let a color palette deter me from an otherwise awesome bike.

I didn't like either color on the screen. When I saw both in person, the tan really popped for me, but not the blue. Do wish it was more matte, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    When there are plenty of bikes that are very similar in their abilities available to buy, that opens the door for wanting it to look good too.

Especially when they cost a fair chunk of $$.....and it's much easier to sell when I want to change

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    When there are plenty of bikes that are very similar in their abilities available to buy, that opens the door for wanting it to look good too.

Especially when they cost a fair chunk of $$.....and it's much easier to sell when I want to change
    Fit, Form or Function...........To me Fit and Function outweigh Form to a point. If I were to compare a SB130 over the HT2 on Form......HT2 wins hands down. And I do not own a Santa Cruz, at least not until the TBv4 arrives.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I buy based on fit and function 1st. Donít care about color and Iím not particularly attached to any brand. Currently on a Ripmo and loving it. That said Iíll only buy from solid companies with the following must have requirements. Ability to run 2.5í rear tires, proper fit for my dems, threaded bb and realistic price point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Any opinions on the float dps on the rear of the R build? I know the S build comes with a better shock and brakes and whatnot, however I donít mind buying a lower build and upgrading things in the future to exactly what I want. I guess I just want to know how well it rides with DPS as I donít want to be held back by it in the mean time if it rides like crap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Itís tough, when I look at the difference between the r and the s, the s seems pretty worth it.
    2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    10mm longer fork=half degree slacker HTA and STA. It'll take a few mm off the reach, add a few to the wheelbase. Result in a marginally less optimal climbing position, but still plenty steep and probably well worth the trade-off if you want more travel upfront.
    True on paper, although at sag that 10mm increase in travel is actually only 7 or 8mm and I'd suggest that with more travel, you might increase sag a little and reduce that difference even further.

I dare say SC fully expected people to run 160mm forks on the HT2 and made sure it rode well enough with them when testing on the mules.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAutoGlassGuy View Post
    Any opinions on the float dps on the rear of the R build? I know the S build comes with a better shock and brakes and whatnot, however I donít mind buying a lower build and upgrading things in the future to exactly what I want. I guess I just want to know how well it rides with DPS as I donít want to be held back by it in the mean time if it rides like crap.
    I had a Hightower LT with the DPS and it was fine for trail riding. There's no question that something like an X2 will be better (smoother, calmer, consistent) for aggressive riding. The Super Deluxe is a good shock if it's tuned for your weight but it's probably not something I would buy aftermarket as an upgrade.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I debated between the R and S builds, since my shop had both. To me, the S was a no-brainer given the shock and fork, brakes and the GX vs NX (which is heavy).

mtbr member
    If price became an issue, I would choose aluminum S over carbon R. The extra 2.5 lbs would likely disappear after a couple rides while the superior components would remain.

Two bikes ago, my FS ride was a 34 lbs Giant Trance that I built up and I never had issues with the weight.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    I think Code R and Guide R brakes are equally crappy. I own both, and will advise to not let that sway your decision.

I haven't ridden NX. I do own both GX and X01, and don't think there is any benefit to X01 other than weight. "Snappier" shifting with X01 seems more placebo than real life. GX is an excellent group set. Quite possible NX is great too. Shifters and derailleurs are wear items, so you could always upgrade them when they wear out.

The components that stand out to me on the S vs R builds are the hubs. S gets the DT370. I have their DT350s which I think highly of. I don't know what the SRAM hubs are like. Could be fine, but weary of cheaper hubs like those Novatecs disasters from years past.

I would go with the S build.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    That's a significant difference between the HT2 and Mega! Thanks for sharing this, very eye opening to say the least!
    Eye opening? Sounds like utter nonsense to me.

1 hour 1 min on a Ripmo.
    1 hour 26 min on an HT2
    1 hour 52 min on a MT

Yup, nonsense.

At best, a bunch of meaningless data taken at different points in time when he was at different levels of fitness with different levels of motivation. Not enough experience to put out consistent efforts and properly judge RPE, and thus it's garbage data without a power meter.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for taking my attempt to be helpful and being a d!ck about it. I very clearly stated it was unscientific data and to be taken with a grain of salt. Since you didn't appear to actually read, the HT2 and Mega were three days apart, same trails, same weather, same fitness. The only difference was a was riding with someone on the Mega ride, which likely did slow my overall time somewhat.

If it's not scientific enough for you, Isaac Newton, I invite you to provide your own more helpful data set to the discussion.

Sheesh, lighten up ...

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for taking my attempt to be helpful and being a d!ck about it. I very clearly stated it was unscientific data and to be taken with a grain of salt. Since you didn't appear to actually read, the HT2 and Mega were three days apart, same trails, same weather, same fitness. The only difference was a was riding with someone on the Mega ride, which likely did slow my overall time somewhat.

If it's not scientific enough for you, Isaac Newton, I invite you to provide your own more helpful data set to the discussion.

Sheesh, lighten up ...
    1:26 on a HT, 1:52 on a MT. The only difference being that you "rode with somebody" on one of the rides.

I'm supposed to buy that, or else I need to lighten up.

Got it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You don't have to buy anything; I don't particularly care what you believe. I posted the data I had as part of the larger discussion. If you don't like it, do what most adults do and move along.

Or, better, provide your own data. Do you have something worthwhile to contribute? Or are you just here to p!ss in our Wheaties?

mtbr member
    You don't have to buy anything; I don't particularly care what you believe. I posted the data I had as part of the larger discussion. If you don't like it, do what most adults do and move along.

Or, better, provide your own data. Do you have something worthwhile to contribute? Or are you just here to p!ss in our Wheaties?
    Appreciated your comparison posts. Haters gunna hate.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Blatant, I got what you were trying to say in your review. You clearly indicated everything anyone needed to know in your review. Not sure why people need to be such jerks sometimes. Move on, it isnít worth your time to feed such nonsense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yeah, let's get back to discussing how heavy the HT2 is...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stock.man View Post
    Yeah, let's get back to discussing how heavy the HT2 is...
    Maybe we will.

mtbr member since 1996
    1 hour 1 min on a Ripmo (In December with great weather)
    1 hour 26 min on an HT2 (July/August in 90s with high humidity)
    1 hour 52 min on a MT (July/August in 90s with high humidity)

Definitely more to those numbers than different bikes, the Ripmo PR is definitely an outlier given the temps and tuning of the bike. Do you have any July/August times on the Rimpo? I know just how much the weather can affect such a ride and your body so a Ripmo time in summer would be a valuable data point.

Have you done the same route again with the HT2, maybe with less heat and humidity?

Its curious to see the HT2 and MT times so far off given similar conditions and a route you ride regularly. [edit...times are just the climb, never mind] Strava would be very interesting to use to compare the two to see where you were faster and slower on each.

5 miles and 1000' is a pretty easy grade climb, is it a fire road that is fairly smooth or trail with usual rocks and "stuff" to give the suspension something to do?
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Good review. Especially for those still debating silly things like the extra weight of version 2, or those who own the OG HT and are wondering if they should upgrade....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbzHvMkRKYI

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    A pic of a rock roll I did on the HT2 in whistler.

Also, I weighed my OGHT with no pedals tonight. I donít believe SCís numbers for the OGHT S build. My large CC X01 enve build with next R cranks is 28.56 lbs without pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-4e1750c5-3d03-4f9d-812b-34b73cc9e20e.jpg  

Hightower V2-69164e80-6ac8-4419-bfad-b6bec3322b6b.jpg  

2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Also, I weighed my OGHT with no pedals tonight. I donít believe SCís numbers for the OGHT S build. My large CC X01 enve build with next R cranks is 28.56 lbs without pedals.
    Makes sense, hard to believe that an S build would be less than your build. Still, your bike has an X2 on it (S build had just a DPS), a rockshox fork (the S build had fox 34 I think?), and who knows what tires on it (I am guessing they aren't 2.3s like the 2019 S build had), all of which may add significant weight compared to the S build. Based on photos of other builds that people weighed, its possible that a smaller framed totally stock S build is close to the claimed weight. At least one user posted their photos of their weighed bike that was closer to the stock s build and it made sense from their photos that the s build could come in at under 29 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    1 hour 1 min on a Ripmo (In December with great weather)
    1 hour 26 min on an HT2 (July/August in 90s with high humidity)
    1 hour 52 min on a MT (July/August in 90s with high humidity)

Definitely more to those numbers than different bikes, the Ripmo PR is definitely an outlier given the temps and tuning of the bike. Do you have any July/August times on the Rimpo? I know just how much the weather can affect such a ride and your body so a Ripmo time in summer would be a valuable data point.
    I agree, were the MT and HT the same build and set up with the same tires, same pressure in the tires, saddle set to same height, etc? Just one of those being different could cause some time differences between the two bikes.

Personally though, I think I took ~20 minutes off of my total riding time (I think it went from 1 hour 50 minutes to ~1 hour 30?) once when I switched from a highroller 2 on the front of my bike to a similarly-equipped dhf, it was really surprising. That was an outlier I think but my total ride time was still many minutes shorter just from switching tires that one time.

The point from that is that little changes can make big differences. If the megatower and HT2 were similar build and set up similarly then there is a chance that the rider is responsible for a big part of the time difference, although I would be more surprised if the megatower and HT2 had the same climbing time for the same build though due to differences in their weight and efficiency.

As a final note, a climb that I did before in 38 minutes on my old bike I did in 40 minutes on the new hightower which weighed about the same but has more travel and much grippier tires and significantly heavier wheels all-around. The bikes are fairly different yet I still got a pretty similar time. So who knows...

I appreciate Blatant's data though and am glad they posted it for the discussion here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Makes sense, hard to believe that an S build would be less than your build. Still, your bike has an X2 on it (S build had just a DPS), a rockshox fork (the S build had fox 34 I think?), and who knows what tires on it (I am guessing they aren't 2.3s like the 2019 S build had), all of which may add significant weight compared to the S build. Based on photos of other builds that people weighed, its possible that a smaller framed totally stock S build is close to the claimed weight. At least one user posted their photos of their weighed bike that was closer to the stock s build and it made sense from their photos that the s build could come in at under 29 pounds.
    Details for my build for comparisons sake:
    CC frame
    Float X2
    150mm lyrik
    Enve M60HV with 240s
    next r cranks
    11 speed x01 with Ethireen cassette (a lot lighter than Gx eagle)
    oneup 170 mm dropper
    Santa cruz carbon bars
    Guide RSC brakes
    2.5 minion / 2.3 aggressor

So my front tire, shock, and maybe the fork (if the old s came with a 34) would be heavier than the S build. Maybe 1 lb if the S build has a 34.

But the frame is 200g lighter, cranks are about 160g lighter, bars are 80-100, wheels are about 1 lb, drivetrain is probably at least 150g (largely driven by the cassette).

I should still be about 1.5 lbs lighter than the S build.
    2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    My mostly stock large S build was 29.5 with 1750g carbon wheels and a 2.3 DHF and 2.3 DHR2 with pedals. In it's final form, it weighed 31.5 lbs with a 2.5 DHF, 2.3 Aggressor, DVO Topaz and an ACS3 in the pike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sick bike and nice build on your V2. I had an OG HT and it was one very fun bike to ride!
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Great objective review; those that question the additional weight of the v2 but havenít actually ridden it should watch this all the way through. 👍

https://youtu.be/SbzHvMkRKYI
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I tried watching it the other day but myyyyyyyy god heís dull, Iím not saying Iím perfect but thatís why I donít do YouTube videos. I got bored and turned it off. Watched a couple of others who all seem to be raving about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I tried watching it the other day but myyyyyyyy god heís dull, Iím not saying Iím perfect but thatís why I donít do YouTube videos. I got bored and turned it off. Watched a couple of others who all seem to be raving about it.
    This +1.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Guy Kestevenís vids are pretty good. He does a bike check vid and then a riding vid narrating the whole time. Heís definitely more engaging and excited.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah Iíve see his, a puppy on steroids about everything he rides. You think itís just the Hightower, watch the new Whyte ebike he did too, same Ďpee on the floorí excitement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yeah Iíve see his, a puppy on steroids about everything he rides. You think itís just the Hightower, watch the new Whyte ebike he did too, same Ďpee on the floorí excitement.

while I enjoy some of the youtube videos from various people I really have gotten tired of all the same buzz words, I don't ever want to hear the words "poppy, playful and slack " ever again. jeez people learns some new words or stop reading the manufacturers marketing papers and tell us what you think? there has to be something not really great about some bike out there.
    I forgot which review I watched on the tallboy but the kid was really honest, does he know what he's talking about who knows but he rides better than I do and he liked the bike and said what he thought was the strong points and the weak points and sounded way more mature than a lot of the popular guys, like what golf_cjick called pee on the floor excitement.
    I've been involved in off road dirt bikes for over 40 years and I'm really new to Mtb riding and in all my life I've never heard or have I ever just road around the woods screaming like a little girl (sorry don't want to offend the lady folks around here) about jumping off a rock and getting 3 inches of air time.
    oh well rant over back to dreaming about buying a new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just got to hop on a Carbon R build at my LBS and needless to say I instantly fell in love.. Iím now frantically trying to figure out how to come up with the money buy it lol.

One thing I figured I would note, I was convinced at 5í8.5Ē 32 inseam that I would be on a size medium, however after being on both the medium and large, I will say the large felt much more comfortable to me. I would just consider using a shorter dropper as it felt just a touch too tall fully extended.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yeah, he could be the privateer's long lost brother in the entertainment regard but in his defence the actual content is pretty good. The other 'reviewers' are at various levels of cringe but if you watch them all and average out the information they are a reasonable method of getting an idea if a bike has any glaring inadequacies.

mtbr member
    Just got to hop on a Carbon R build at my LBS and needless to say I instantly fell in love.. Iím now frantically trying to figure out how to come up with the money buy it lol.

One thing I figured I would note, I was convinced at 5í8.5Ē 32 inseam that I would be on a size medium, however after being on both the medium and large, I will say the large felt much more comfortable to me. I would just consider using a shorter dropper as it felt just a touch too tall fully extended.
    Iím 5í5Ē right in between S and M and talked to lbs yeaterday and he said most people are sizing up on the nomad, bronson v3 and he expect the same for the hightower! he will have a M demo next week Iím gonna ride! So really seems like if in between sizes you should size up!

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member

Picked up an S build today

Hey all,

I picked up a large S build with Cushcore today and took it out to Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz, then headed to some more familiar trails in the South Bay. Overall, I feel like this bike is "fast" compared to the MT (which I had and sold). I think the geo may have a lot to do with it, and climbing efficiency was terrific. Collectively, I like it more than the large MT I had as it felt more controllable and playful. I was whipping by people on Wild Boar and Wilder Trails. It just feels lighter and more maneuverable to me. If I compare it to my SB150, in which you can really feel the unique geo for climbing, it feels more playful but not as "planted" as the SB. I don't know how the bike feels/would feel without cushcore, but overall, my one word summary would be "traction." I left the shock open all day and I didn't feel/notice any pedal-bob. Great climber. Based on my app, I was going faster on my familiar trails, and while in SC I was passing people quite a bit. Anyway, need more time with the bike, but after owning a V3 Bronson, V4 Nomad, HTLT, MT, this one is a keeper...

Chib
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-img_4280.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    His videos may not be dramatic and exciting but I think they are the most informative, for example in his megatower video* he rode the HTLT and megatower on the same trail (split screen) and timed them so it was interesting to see how much quicker the megatower was and I also thought he had good feedback. I only watched part of his HT2 video but if you are really on the fence about buying a bike then his reviews may let you know all you need to know.

*It was the same reviewer, I am assuming the video was on that channel then but I don't have the link right now.

I have a shorter inseam than you although I am taller than you and happy with my size large HT2. By the size chart you should be on the medium but if you have longer legs then maybe the large is right for you.

TRANCER
    Guy Kestevenís vids are pretty good. He does a bike check vid and then a riding vid narrating the whole time. Heís definitely more engaging and excited.
    I enjoy Guys videos. Now if only I could understand the other half of what he says.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What the hell is that bloke doing with his smartphone on the trail measuring angles. He really has no clue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    What the hell is that bloke doing with his smartphone on the trail measuring angles. He really has no clue.
    I couldnít help but laugh when he started doing that lol. Especially when he started measuring the angle of the fork at different parts of the fork hahaha

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Hahah right... once I saw that my faith in humanity dropped instantly to zero.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    I couldnít help but laugh when he started doing that lol. Especially when he started measuring the angle of the fork at different parts of the fork hahaha
    he was probably expecting it to match the sta and hta at some point!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, these are the same people who feel compelled to grace these very forums with their deep knowledge and experience. Sadly, most "professional" bike reviews are so generic that everyone with a go-pro can do it too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    image1...pdf

Just picked up the new Hightower a couple weeks ago... Pretty awesome ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have had this bike for exactly 1 month, and have ridden it at a minimum 4 times a week. Everything from 5 hour epics (training for a 50mile / 10K elevation ride/race in September), to quick 1 hour townie trail rides. And everything in-between....

Hands down, the best bike I have ever ridden, and I go through bikes pretty frequently. The extra weight of the frame from previous OGHT in a non issue. The new bike handles the climbs with way more ease. For those of you worried about weight, please understand the benefits of a totally redesigned frame. The new benefits far outweigh the extra weight.

A recap:
    I bought the R build from my LBS as its all they had the first week it was released with a waiting period for the S build... And I wanted to support local (and I wanted it now...)

Upgrade / swap-over from previous OGHT:
    - Charger 2.1 damper upgrade
    - i9 hubs / Stans Arch wheelset (very light)
    - 170 Raceface Next SL crank
    - DHF / DHR2
    - GX 11 speed (NX Eagle is a massive boat anchor)
    - Flip chip in HIGH position (much more pedal friendly in Vermont, and doesn't sacrifice ride experience - actually makes it better, IMHO)

I had the Teravail Honchos on originally, but I had very little trust in those tires. They were pretty slippery in almost every scenario (dry, loose, wet, etc...) They just didn't inspire confidence. Plus the rear sidewall was already weaping sealant in under a season of use. Switched to the old reliable Minions 3C Maxx Terra rubber. Confidence is restored.

Bike with very few upgrades is around 30lbs, I am more then happy with that weight as its a complete beast when its needs to be, however pedals real spritely when needed as well. There hasn't been a situation (so far) were the bike felt sketchy, but also never felt like I had too much bike on easier trails.

For those who know Vermont this bike has ridden: Brewster, Perry, HTF, Carse, Sleepy, Stowe, all FOTW trails, Kingdom, Richmond/Cochrans, and GMT. Some trails are rowdy, some are solid intermediates.

I imagine I will be keeping this bike around for a good deal of time, as its perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-ht2.jpg  

Hightower V2-ht2-1.jpg  

Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can someone explain the difference between the "Select+" and "Ultimate" suspension kit? Basically, I'm trying to decide between the S and X01 builds. I don't care about the drivetrain upgrades, but if there's a material difference in the fork and shock, that might make a difference to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I have had this bike for exactly 1 month, and have ridden it at a minimum 4 times a week. Everything from 5 hour epics (training for a 50mile / 10K elevation ride/race in September), to quick 1 hour townie trail rides. And everything in-between....

Hands down, the best bike I have ever ridden, and I go through bikes pretty frequently. The extra weight of the frame from previous OGHT in a non issue. The new bike handles the climbs with way more ease. For those of you worried about weight, please understand the benefits of a totally redesigned frame. The new benefits far outweigh the extra weight.

A recap:
    I bought the R build from my LBS as its all they had the first week it was released with a waiting period for the S build... And I wanted to support local (and I wanted it now...)

- DHF / DHR2
    - Flip chip in HIGH position (much more pedal friendly in Vermont, and doesn't sacrifice ride experience - actually makes it better, IMHO)

I had the Teravail Honchos on originally, but I had very little trust in those tires. They were pretty slippery in almost every scenario (dry, loose, wet, etc...) They just didn't inspire confidence. Plus the rear sidewall was already weaping sealant in under a season of use. Switched to the old reliable Minions 3C Maxx Terra rubber. Confidence is restored.

Bike with very few upgrades is around 30lbs, I am more then happy with that weight as its a complete beast when its needs to be, however pedals real spritely when needed as well. There hasn't been a situation (so far) were the bike felt sketchy, but also never felt like I had too much bike on easier trails.

For those who know Vermont this bike has ridden: Brewster, Perry, HTF, Carse, Sleepy, Stowe, all FOTW trails, Kingdom, Richmond/Cochrans, and GMT. Some trails are rowdy, some are solid intermediates.

I imagine I will be keeping this bike around for a good deal of time, as its perfect.
    did you do those downtube decals yourself? or did your lbs customize like that prior to purchase? have seen that colour on a few HT2 now and itís growing on me. Still like the original one for now though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ribbs76 View Post
    did you do those downtube decals yourself? or did your lbs customize like that prior to purchase? have seen that colour on a few HT2 now and itís growing on me. Still like the original one for now though.

I did them myself. I am a Design Director at a Contemporary Art Center and have access to a vinyl plotter. The Cyan logotype in my opinion pretty sweet. The original Tan/Beige (don't get me wrong - I like earthtones a lot), didn't seem to match anything. It was super random. At least the cyan is monochromatic with the frame's blue.
    Pivot Trail429
    Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I did them myself. I am a Design Director at a Contemporary Art Center and have access to a vinyl plotter. The Cyan logotype in my opinion pretty sweet. The original Tan/Beige (don't get me wrong - I like earthtones a lot), didn't seem to match anything. It was super random. At least the cyan is monochromatic with the frame's blue.
    lucky you. donít disagree, been trying to figure colours out. originally went with gold scarab pedals and was considering the brown/gold chromag grips, but it got all a bit too earthy for me. I prefer some kind of pop....considering red, but iíve tended to reserve red for matte black bikes! I need to decide before putting up $ on some new coloured hubs

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    After a few rides on my new hightower, a few observations:

-Although the carbon SC rims on the demo bike I rode were kind of harsh compared to the aluminum ones, the carbon allowed you to really feel the trail and know where your front end is. I like how the aluminum wheels are more affordable and almost the same weight, plus they kind of numb the trail and float over the small bumps. But there are some advantages to the carbon rims I think, if that's what you are looking for.

-I really wish the bike could fit a wider rear tire, in reality the 2.4 DHR2 is kind of as much tire as anyone will probably need but I would like to try a 2.5 aggressor and based on the old hightowers it sounds like that tire will be a very tight fit and may rub in some cases. There's also several interesting 2.6 tires that i'd be interested in trying that I won't be able to. Besides the 2.4 DHR2, the only other big Maxxis tire options are the 2.4 Rekon and now the 2.4 Dissector, which I hope to try when it becomes available. Beyond that, some 2.35 Schwalbe tires may fit, like the Hans Dampf, otherwise the next biggest options that I see are all 2.3 tires and I feel like a bike this capable should be running something bigger than 2.3's. So, although 2.4's may be ideal, the tire clearance of the bike definitely limits tire options I think.

-The geo is great and I haven't had any issues until trying to ride some super tight technical stuff the other day where the bike size finally became an issue. On my old shorter travel bike with a short wheelbase I just sort of rocketed up over slow tech stuff while its just a different approach on the hightower. I should be able to figure things out though and learn to ride the bike on super tight tech stuff though.

-I have just about used full travel on the rear of my bike but I seem to always have 20-30mm at least left on the fork. The fork feels amazing but I think I can remove a spacer to be able to use that extra travel, right? I have never done this before but I am considering it as an option.

So I am pretty happy with the bike and would recommend checking it out but those are some of my other random thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Can someone explain the difference between the "Select+" and "Ultimate" suspension kit? Basically, I'm trying to decide between the S and X01 builds. I don't care about the drivetrain upgrades, but if there's a material difference in the fork and shock, that might make a difference to me.
    The ultimate is lighter and has more adjustability as far as I know. For example, the lyric ultimate has high speed compression adjustability while the select+ doesn't. For the rear shock though IDK.

Really there probably isn't a huge world of difference though.

lucky you. donít disagree, been trying to figure colours out. originally went with gold scarab pedals and was considering the brown/gold chromag grips, but it got all a bit too earthy for me. I prefer some kind of pop....considering red, but iíve tended to reserve red for matte black bikes! I need to decide before putting up $ on some new coloured hubs

The orange grips look amazing on the blue hightower, it kind of reminds me of last year's blue ripmo that came with orange grips and accents. I think it really wakes up the looks of the hightower and I am too looking for a nice accent color for mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

-Although the carbon SC rims on the demo bike I rode were kind of harsh compared to the aluminum ones, the carbon allowed you to really feel the trail and know where your front end is. I like how the aluminum wheels are more affordable and almost the same weight, plus they kind of numb the trail and float over the small bumps. But there are some advantages to the carbon rims I think, if that's what you are looking for.

-I really wish the bike could fit a wider rear tire, in reality the 2.4 DHR2 is kind of as much tire as anyone will probably need but I would like to try a 2.5 aggressor and based on the old hightowers it sounds like that tire will be a very tight fit and may rub in some cases. There's also several interesting 2.6 tires that i'd be interested in trying that I won't be able to. Besides the 2.4 DHR2, the only other big Maxxis tire options are the 2.4 Rekon and now the 2.4 Dissector, which I hope to try when it becomes available. Beyond that, some 2.35 Schwalbe tires may fit, like the Hans Dampf, otherwise the next biggest options that I see are all 2.3 tires and I feel like a bike this capable should be running something bigger than 2.3's. So, although 2.4's may be ideal, the tire clearance of the bike definitely limits tire options I think.

-The geo is great and I haven't had any issues until trying to ride some super tight technical stuff the other day where the bike size finally became an issue. On my old shorter travel bike with a short wheelbase I just sort of rocketed up over slow tech stuff while its just a different approach on the hightower. I should be able to figure things out though and learn to ride the bike on super tight tech stuff though.

-I have just about used full travel on the rear of my bike but I seem to always have 20-30mm at least left on the fork. The fork feels amazing but I think I can remove a spacer to be able to use that extra travel, right? I have never done this before but I am considering it as an option.

So I am pretty happy with the bike and would recommend checking it out but those are some of my other random thoughts.

The ultimate is lighter and has more adjustability as far as I know. For example, the lyric ultimate has high speed compression adjustability while the select+ doesn't. For the rear shock though IDK.

The orange grips look amazing on the blue hightower, it kind of reminds me of last year's blue ripmo that came with orange grips and accents. I think it really wakes up the looks of the hightower and I am too looking for a nice accent color for mine.
    agree, i put on some orange ergon gd1 grips.

mtbr member

for what is worth, I'm going red with the blue frame. red headset / bb / lyrik. still havent decided if I'm keeping the SC logo desert color or not... I saw one with chrome decals that was really nice it's on Greg Minnaar bike shop instagram gmcycles

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1DemKqHZeT/

mtbr member

Hightower V2

A recap:

- DHF / DHR2

what size frame? 30 lbs isn't bad! what did you like better about riding in high vs low position?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    for what is worth, I'm going red with the blue frame. red headset / bb / lyrik. still havent decided if I'm keeping the SC logo desert color or not... I saw one with chrome decals that was really nice it's on Greg Minnaar bike shop instagram gmcycles

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1DemKqHZeT/
    chrome is great. i like the Oil look as well.

Stupid question time, but all you do is find a way to get the decals made, clean the logo area, line it up and stick on like any frame protection process?

mtbr member
    chrome is great. i like the Oil look as well.

Stupid question time, but all you do is find a way to get the decals made, clean the logo area, line it up and stick on like any frame protection process?

thatís it! stikrd, invisiframe, slik graphics should all be able to make one any color

mtbr member

I have a 2.5 Aggressor on mine right now. It fits better than the OG HT - about a centimeter of clearance between the tire and black lower linkage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My frame shipped today, almost three weeks earlier than expected. This could be good news for others who are waiting. Iím very excited.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a 2.5 Aggressor on mine right now. It fits better than the OG HT - about a centimeter of clearance between the tire and black lower linkage.

That's good news, could even a 2.5 dhf clear then you think?

Once the DHR2s wear out I may try the 2.5 aggressor rear in that case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Love the color way, where did you get the custom colored decals?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallak View Post
    Hi, if anyone is wondering, the DVO Topaz fits fine on the new Hightower v2. I have been using DVO's on my recent SC bikes and it works like a dream.

20mm mounting kit front and 30 mm rear.

Coming from the current Bronson this "BrohTower 160" is like a 29'er Bronson! Playful but still confident when things get burly.

mtbr member
    That's good news, could even a 2.5 dhf clear then you think?

Once the DHR2s wear out I may try the 2.5 aggressor rear in that case.
    I think it might - it will be tighter, but there is enough clearance with the Aggressor 2.5 that makes me think its possible Also depends on terrain - if you collect a lot of mud, it may be too tight. When I put the Aggressor 2.5 on my OG HT it would pick up rocks and the lower lower linkage would get scratched. The shape of the lower linkage on the new HT gives it more clearance.

mtbr member
    An update on my new HT2 after about 10 rides.

Geo, and suspension of this bike are just amazing. Still feel this is a better climbing bike (requires less energy) and extends the capability of the HT into more rowdy terrain. Lower mounted shock definitely improves bike performance.

However, I am not getting along with the Code RSC brakes (I typically run Shimano). Also one of the brakes is now out for warranty replacement (front brake lever slow to return) - SRAM gave LBS crap and tried to reject warranty claim. In the process I have opted to just swap them out for Shimano 8020's (4 piston).

Additionally, two different RS Reverb Stealth dropper seatposts were creaky / moving around inside the stanchions causing a ton of noise on the trail. Third seatpost seems to be stable and noise free.

Driving my LBS crazy as I sort through all of these issues from a brand new bike.

So not a fan of SRAM brakes and dropper seat posts thus far. Otherwise, the bike is amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Geo, and suspension of this bike are just amazing. Still feel this is a better climbing bike (requires less energy) and extends the capability of the HT into more rowdy terrain. Lower mounted shock definitely improves bike performance.

However, I am not getting along with the Code RSC brakes (I typically run Shimano). Also one of the brakes is now out for warranty replacement (front brake lever slow to return) - SRAM gave LBS crap and tried to reject warranty claim. In the process I have opted to just swap them out for Shimano 8020's (4 piston).

Additionally, two different RS Reverb Stealth dropper seatposts were creaky / moving around inside the stanchions causing a ton of noise on the trail. Third seatpost seems to be stable and noise free.

Driving my LBS crazy as I sort through all of these issues from a brand new bike.

So not a fan of SRAM brakes and dropper seat posts thus far. Otherwise, the bike is amazing.
    Do you know which reverb the bike comes with? There's a new "C1" revision, and I believe the old one was "B1" or something like that.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/new-rocksh...-c1-announced/

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I generally like Code brakes, but I pulled mine and sold them; mostly because I had a set of Hope Tech 3 E4 sitting on my workbench. While the Reverb isn't my favorite post, I've so far been impressed with the speed and smoothness of the new one on my HT2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Sorry to hear of your ongoing woes with components on a new bike - it must be frustrating. I thought SRAM had sorted out their sticky brake levers a long time ago but clearly not!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by I am a user View Post
    Do you know which reverb the bike comes with? There's a new "C1" revision, and I believe the old one was "B1" or something like that.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/new-rocksh...-c1-announced/
    i have the old one. was told that first builds were built before new post came out so early orders missed out on upgrade, curious if later builds have it. i expect so

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    i have the old one. was told that first builds were built before new post came out so early orders missed out on upgrade, curious if later builds have it. i expect so

I placed an order for the carbon S build back in late July and my LBS won't receive it until around September 9th - 13th. I hope by that time, they ship with the latest version of the RockShox Reverb Stealth (C1).

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crj5 View Post
    My frame shipped today, almost three weeks earlier than expected. This could be good news for others who are waiting. Iím very excited.
    Did you order frame-only? Size/color?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Did you order frame-only? Size/color?
    Yes, large CC frame only in blue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mind if I ask where you ordered your frame from? Thanks!

LCW
    mtbr member
    Thanks man

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
    Mind if I ask where you ordered your frame from? Thanks!
    Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member

Hightower V2

awesome, they told me end of the month for a M blue frame, but I couldnít find a demo yet to make sure the about the size :-(

you should be getting it tomorrow :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Same here, but in medium blue. Hoping status changes to "Shipped" from "Shipping". No idea regarding the difference between the two,

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Has anyone tried installing a Float X2 on the alloy version of the v2 HT? SC are not recommending it, but it's not clear if this applies to both frame materials.
    Has anyone tried and can confirm where the shock would foul the frame? Seat tube split not wide enough, our does it clout the upper link?

mtbr member

I agree that better tire clearance is a good think. I also think the Aggressor is almost unnecessary in the Maxxis line up. It rolls slightly better than the DHR2 but it probably gives up more traction than it gains in rolling speed. I have an e13 semi-slick on my Megatower and it has nearly as much climbing and braking traction as a 2.3 Aggressor. If the Dissector really does roll faster than the DHR2 then I don't see much need for an Aggressor. I'd bet the 2.4 Dissector has better braking and cornering traction than the 2.5 Aggressor btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My wife picked up her maverick on Sunday. Stoke levels are high coming off a 26Ē Ď11 Sworks stumpjumper. So much more confidence inspiring for her.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I'm guessing you called in to order? As frame-only isn't even listed on either Competitive or Backcountry.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'm guessing you called in to order? As frame-only isn't even listed on either Competitive or Backcountry.
    Yea, I had been in contact with them leading up to the release then placed the order over the phone on release day. I should be able to weigh the frame+shock tonight for anyone interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    At Santacruzbikes.ch they mention 3.45kg or 7.6 lbs as the frameweight (carboncc incl damper). Will probably not be much less I guess.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Does anyone buy , demoed or has expirienced with SC aluminium frames?

New HT v2 S build in Alu is not to bad and no to expensive compare to Carbon S build is littel bit expensive and I wonder if its better to wait and collect more money for carbon version or is not to much differance between alu ?

mtbr member

How do you like the 8020s? How is it next to the shifter? Are you using a single mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoGram View Post
    Has anyone tried installing a Float X2 on the alloy version of the v2 HT? SC are not recommending it, but it's not clear if this applies to both frame materials.
    Has anyone tried and can confirm where the shock would foul the frame? Seat tube split not wide enough, our does it clout the upper link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karzel View Post
    Does anyone buy , demoed or has expirienced with SC aluminium frames?

New HT v2 S build in Alu is not to bad and no to expensive compare to Carbon S build is littel bit expensive and I wonder if its better to wait and collect more money for carbon version or is not to much differance between alu ?
    I don't believe the aluminum model is available yet. I haven't seen any in public. I emailed SC about the aluminum frame availability, but never heard back from them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Large CC frame and shock is 7.4 lbs on my bathroom scale (me standing on it without the frame subtracted from me standing on it holding the frame).

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    I don't believe the aluminum model is available yet. I haven't seen any in public. I emailed SC about the aluminum frame availability, but never heard back from them.
    Ah.. Thanks for that. Watching this space closely, that will be a bonzer frame. Hoping for better shock compatibility!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I agree that better tire clearance is a good think. I also think the Aggressor is almost unnecessary in the Maxxis line up. It rolls slightly better than the DHR2 but it probably gives up more traction than it gains in rolling speed. I have an e13 semi-slick on my Megatower and it has nearly as much climbing and braking traction as a 2.3 Aggressor. If the Dissector really does roll faster than the DHR2 then I don't see much need for an Aggressor. I'd bet the 2.4 Dissector has better braking and cornering traction than the 2.5 Aggressor btw.
    Good points, the 2.3 aggressor on the rear with a 2.3 dhf up front was my "go-to" combo on my old bike so i've considered going to the 2.5 versions of those, but I had my skepticism about the 2.5 aggressor from the demo bikes I rode that had them on it. I like that it has more volume and is quicker rolling, plus at least the 2.3 worked good in my dry terrain.

For now I am happy with the dhr2 combo and nobody has the Dissector in stock so for now its 2.4 dhr2 front and rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How does it compare with the Nomad 4?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoGram View Post
    Hoping for better shock compatibility!
    I doubt it will be any different than the carbon

mtbr member
    anybody ever shopped at mikeís bike? I havenít called but seems like they might be offering deals on the new bikes!

anybody able to buy for less than msrp?

mtbr member
    anybody ever shopped at mikeís bike? I havenít called but seems like they might be offering deals on the new bikes!

I bought off of my LBS because I prefer to. But in doing my due diligence I spoke with a large online retailer as well and the discount they were "able to offer" was pretty negligible and the dude straight up said that SC just wasn't really letting them do anything yet on the HT2. And I am just guessing this is the retailer that does more volume for SC than anyone else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Competitive will offer 5% off any bike if you just ask. A Local LBS offers 10% off anything for members of the local cycling club or the local trail advocacy group.

It's not hard to find 10% off if you have any kind of relationship with your local shop

mtbr member

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    How do you like the 8020s? How is it next to the shifter? Are you using a single mount?
    Havenít had them on a ride yet but always feel like Shimano brakes are just what my mind perceives as the ďrightĒ feel.

Yes, I got two Problem Solvers mis match 1.2 clamps. Pics below as well as Aggressor 2.5 clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

My LBS going to give me $600 off of a carbon R build. I donít even know them that well. Youíll have better luck getting a deal through your LBS than any of the online retailers in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Yeh---go demo---these initial reviews are not of much use as they have a marketing bent for sure...
    No, not all the reviews are paid reviews. You can take what its worth from the "unsponsored" YT guys, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGc7SrnqJG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RjKCnO9LyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbzHvMkRKYI

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I doubt it will be any different than the carbon
    Hmm, happy to be surprised! They generally use quite a bit more volume with carbon to reinforce the form around radii etc. Would not be surprised at all if you can fit a larger diameter shock through the seat tube split on an alloy frame, looking at the execution on the Nomad AL. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoser...1110666270.jpg https://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/...oy-2018-16.jpg

mtbr member
    Selling my 2017 Hightower in case anyone is interested:

Large CC X01 - $3500

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...957856763.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-img_2868.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I cracked my HT LT a while ago but I was still able to ride for several more months. I contacted SC immediately when the V2 came out a few weeks back and they were quick to send me the frame. I had the frame sitting for a minute waiting for the Lyrik to arrive. I sticker bomb the rear triangle bc it's okay to be different

Hightower V2-01.jpg

Hightower V2-02.jpg

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast