Hightower V2 - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 2,000 of 2075

Thread: Hightower V2

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Tempting.....
    Any thoughts on how this will/won't work with the MegNeg?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Meg neg gets a mention in the FAQ"s so all good

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Anybody help with the size of meg neg i need for a standard shock, theres 3 different sizes to choose from??

Regards Stuart

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by cb750stu View Post
    Anybody help with the size of meg neg i need for a standard shock, theres 3 different sizes to choose from??

Regards Stuart

Part # 00.4318.028.000

185/210 x 47.5-55mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
    Part # 00.4318.028.000

185/210 x 47.5-55mm

Awesome man thanks for the info

mtbr member
    The cascade link looks sweet, but the coil option seems limited unless you weigh less than 150 pounds, given that the springs for riders above 150 will probably rub the frame. I rode a Megatower for awhile, but it was too much for local trails, and the kinematics made hauling it uphill along with longer rides a real chore. I think I'll impatiently wait for the next HT to come out, and I'm hoping Santa Cruz does a slight redesign so that the rear shock tunnel can include a coil, or an X2. I am glad the Cascade link can boost the rear travel to between 145-150, that is awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 6' 1.5" with a 33.5" inseam (all without shoes on) and not real long arms. I'm trying to decide between a L and XL frame and wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

I raced for close to 10 years starting in the mid 90's and getting back into riding so have no experience with modern geometry. I used to always get a large or 19" and they fit well. Looking at the HTv2 dimensions, a large looks to be closer to the way my old bikes fit, but per SC recommendations, I'm on high side for a L and in the middle for an XL. Any thoughts?

And are most happy with a 150mm fork? Or has anyone tried and prefer a 160mm or wish they had? Thinking about trying for a lighter build and running a 150mm Pike which won't let me go up to 160 if I wanted to later. If a 160 is preferred by very many then I may go with Lyric instead.

Probably overthinking everything but thought I'd try getting some opinions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaMtnBkr View Post
    I'm 6' 1.5" with a 33.5" inseam (all without shoes on) and not real long arms. I'm trying to decide between a L and XL frame and wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

I raced for close to 10 years starting in the mid 90's and getting back into riding so have no experience with modern geometry. I used to always get a large or 19" and they fit well. Looking at the HTv2 dimensions, a large looks to be closer to the way my old bikes fit, but per SC recommendations, I'm on high side for a L and in the middle for an XL. Any thoughts?
    I am almost the exact same size as you and I ended up going with a large. The extra large just felt too long and too unwieldy. The large feels more playful. I can't say it I have ever felt cramped in the cockpit.

It's definitely personal preference so I would highly recommend demoing both.

Edit: I should add that I ended up installing riser bars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

And are most happy with a 150mm fork? Or has anyone tried and prefer a 160mm or wish they had? Thinking about trying for a lighter build and running a 150mm Pike which won't let me go up to 160 if I wanted to later. If a 160 is preferred by very many then I may go with Lyric instead.

Im 5ft 10 and a bit i went with with a large but i do prefer a slightly larger bike dont like feeling cramped

Im more than happy with my 150mm fox factory 36's, 150mm seems to really suit the geometry

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

I'am 6' and same inseam i went for a large with 50mm stem and i am very happy with it. I think i could go for XL as well with 35mm stem but the wheelbase is too much, i need a nimble bike more than stable. At your height i would go for XL anyway you will be more balanced on the bike IMO.

I run a 150 pike ultimate and i'am about to order the updated debonnair spring with 160mm airshaft. I have not seen anywhere 29 pike is not 160mm compatible. Also there is 160 SAG % on stanchion...

Anyone can confirm ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    highly recommend invisiframe decals, they are a tiny bit larger than original ones

Do you happen to have a picture of the entire bike with the brushed chrome/silver decals? I was looking to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hi just checking that the meg neg upgrade will fit a large cc frame, just thought I'd check before i hit the buy button

Regards Stuart

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I'm 185cm and 88cm inseam. Xl with 35mm stem is nice. This is my first Xl frame, all previous ones were L, but I feel very good on the trails.

I had the opportunity to ride on XL and L before press red button)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi just checking that the meg neg upgrade will fit a large cc frame, just thought I'd check before i hit the buy button

Regards Stuart

The can is outside of the tunnel so it fits fine. I have one on my large CC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    The can is outside of the tunnel so it fits fine. I have one on my large CC.
    It fits just fine on my medium frame, too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngarcia1110 View Post
    Do you happen to have a picture of the entire bike with the brushed chrome/silver decals? I was looking to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    they are not really brushed I think this is probably from washing the bike, I canít really see anything from normal distance, taking this closeup picture was the first time I noticed

here a full bike pic

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

6'2.3" without shoes. Something like a 35" inseam and a plus 1 or 2" ape index. I ended up going with the XL based on SC's sizing recommendations and after a few rides it fits great. I think I could work with a L, but am happy I went with the XL.

I'm running a 160 Fox 36, 50mm stem, 800 bars (that I may chop down to 780), and about 20-30mm of spacers below the stem. I haven't tried it at 150 yet, but I like to run 175 cranks and don't care for pedal strikes. So far the 160 (with 51 offset) feels great and to be honest I wouldn't want the seat tube angle any steeper so I'll probably stick with it.

Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member

I'm 184cm (6'.04") with 33 inseam and went with XL. I was pretty unsure when ordering, but my LBS owner convinced me to order (I demoed both but were still unsure due to old habits). Now that I've been riding 1.5 month with XL there is no going back to small bikes for me!

Most of my riding is local trails that are by Californian standards practically flat and technical roots-in-the-forest -stuff and technical rocky terrains. Yet I'm finding new riding lines from where I thought it would be impossible for me because that larger bike is so much confidence inspiring and that extra reach(for me the reach increased 4.2 cm) puts you to so natural riding position. HT2 is a good bike, but I feel that larger size really makes me "better" rider.

Usually it is said that larger size helps with more speed and steeper descends as the stability is increased. That's a bonus I got, but like I said, zigzagging the trees is not a problem with XL.

My greatest concern with larger size was over-stretched riding position while seated, but that updated geo actually increased ETT just about 1.5cm and with shorter stem (that maker handling faster and more accurate) it's about the same. Increased head tube length actually gives me more upright position than with the OGHT I had earlier and have also better seated riding position as a result.

Highly recommended sizing up, but like you can read, it is up to personal preferences in the end. I hope this helps.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I've been able to demo a large and it felt pretty good but haven't found an XL and don't know if I'm missing something. Demos don't happen often around here so not sure I'll get to try one any time soon. Sounds like I could probably go with either. I do have a -2.5 ape index (new term for me) and my lower back can't do an aggressive bent over/ stretched out (that really doesn't sound good) XC racing type position and will likely use a short stem and riser bar, which might make a L even more feasible but I'm thinking if I had to pull the trigger right now I think I would go for the XL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_79 View Post
    I'am 6' and same inseam i went for a large with 50mm stem and i am very happy with it. I think i could go for XL as well with 35mm stem but the wheelbase is too much, i need a nimble bike more than stable. At your height i would go for XL anyway you will be more balanced on the bike IMO.

I run a 150 pike ultimate and i'am about to order the updated debonnair spring with 160mm airshaft. I have not seen anywhere 29 pike is not 160mm compatible. Also there is 160 SAG % on stanchion...

Anyone can confirm ?
    I could definitely be wrong, and it may only be for the debonair air spring, but I've seen that for 2018+ Pike forks, the 160mm airshaft will only fit the 27.5" fork and not the 29". Of course I'm now not sure where I read this. But if I find some supporting documentation I will provide it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    6í3Ē, short torso, long arms and legs. I got an XXL and am using a 32mm stem. Very pleased. The XL felt like I was too far over the bars. Lo position, 175mm cranks, stock suspension. I was having rock strikes with XT pedals, but went with OneUp for something more narrow. Wouldnít change a thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    I'm 184cm (6'.04") with 33 inseam and went with XL. I was pretty unsure when ordering, but my LBS owner convinced me to order (I demoed both but were still unsure due to old habits). Now that I've been riding 1.5 month with XL there is no going back to small bikes for me!
    I'm 6'1", same inseam and the local shop sold me on an XL too. I've only had a few rides on it but I'm quite happy on the XL. The reach and the long wheel base freaked me out but SC has their geo dialed.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 1/2 View Post
    Lookin good! What's the shock size (eye to eye and stroke)?
    Hi 8 1/2, shock is 210mm x 55mm. I'm using the Fox 30x8mm bearing mount for the lower eyelet and standard fox 20x8mm in the upper eyelet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwun View Post
    Hi 8 1/2, shock is 210mm x 55mm. I'm using the Fox 30x8mm bearing mount for the lower eyelet and standard fox 20x8mm in the upper eyelet.
    @obiwun Have you installed the 500 SLS spring?Any pics from tunnel clearance?

Thanks in advance man

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Currently 475lb. I'm sitting a little low into the sag (about 16.5mm) and hitting bottom a bit more than I'd like. I have a 500lb spring on the way.
    High or low position?
    Total weight ęready to rideĽ?

Another factor to take into account is the weight distribution. Front vs Rear!

While itís mostly dynamic and it changes all the time you can still do a little experiment to help you pick a spring rate depending on your body position.

Put your bike and yourself on a scale (ready to ride). You'll end up with something like for example : rider + bike = 93kg

Now put your front wheel on a scale and put something underneath the rear wheel so the bike is leveled. Now jump on the bike (ready to ride with clothes, shoes, backpack etc ... if you skip this part and guesstimate your weight or weight distribution donít come crying later on because you need the next rate up/down) and put yourself in YOUR attack position. Record the scale reading.

You can do the same for the rear if you want to double check numbers.

Letís say you end up with:

Front: 28kg
    Rear: 65kg

Then weight on the rear is: (65/93)x100=70%

Now how does the weight distribution impact the spring rate?

Here are a few examples:

STOCK link (52.5mm stroke)

Total riding weight: 80
    Frame travel: 140
    Preload: 1
    SAG: 30%
    Average leverage ratio: 2.67

Weight on rear: 65% > Spring rate: 464
    Weight on rear: 70% > Spring rate: 500

STOCK link (55mm stroke)

Frame travel: 147

Weight on rear: 65% > Spring rate: 444
    Weight on rear: 70% > Spring rate: 478

CASCADE link (52.5mm stroke)

Frame travel: 150
    Average leverage ratio: 2.85

Weight on rear: 65% > Spring rate: 497
    Weight on rear: 70% > Spring rate: 535

CASCADE link (55mm stroke)

Frame travel: 157

Weight on rear: 65% > Spring rate: 474
    Weight on rear: 70% > Spring rate: 511

As you can see it does change the spring rate quit a lot, a good 40lbs on average with a 5% shift between front and rear. This might reflect a real life riding position and spring rate on flat(ish) ground but as soon as you drop into steep sections it will become more dynamic ... position, inclinaison, speed etc ... will blend all together and it becomes almost impossible to get an accurate picture of whatís going on but it will put you in the right ballpark and it will be easier to fine tune it to your needs or preferences.

Donít be super focused about all this, what matters most is the feel on the trail but hopefully it might help you decide which one to buy first

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I could definitely be wrong, and it may only be for the debonair air spring, but I've seen that for 2018+ Pike forks, the 160mm airshaft will only fit the 27.5" fork and not the 29". Of course I'm now not sure where I read this. But if I find some supporting documentation I will provide it.
    I think 160mm Pike 29 doesn't exist as a factory build but you can still increase travel to 160 with that airshaft

https://r2-bike.com/ROCK-SHOX-Air-Sh...1-from-My-2018

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think 160mm Pike 29 doesn't exist as a factory build but you can still increase travel to 160 with that airshaft

https://r2-bike.com/ROCK-SHOX-Air-Sh...1-from-My-2018
    I still haven't found where I originally saw this but have found a couple other things. The following site mentions in a couple spots that it's for 27.5 only:

https://www.tftuned.com/debonair-air...ri-lyrik/p3412

And if you go to the service section of Rockshox site and look at either the fork spare parts catalog or the fork technical specs, they both have charts that show the 29 *Boost* forks only going up to 150mm with debonair air spring. They do show forks for 29+ being able to go to 160mm. I'm not sure if that's a non boost version or what the difference is that makes one compatible and the other, presumably, not compatible?

Regardless, it's probably worth a quick phone call to RS if thinking about making the change...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wait, that is with the stock link, right? I didn't think a piggyback coil would work.

I've been reading through the whole thread trying to research if I can fit a coil into my size Large CC frame. I'm about 175 lbs ready to ride.

So far I'm coming to the conclusion that I can run a CCDB Coil IL without rub. I'm thinking I'll try a ~460lb. spring. A VALT spring most likely will not fit, but a SLS would? Please let me know if I've misunderstood something so I don't make an expensive mistake... Thank you guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EV07 View Post
    @obiwun Have you installed the 500 SLS spring?Any pics from tunnel clearance?

Thanks in advance man
    No, I haven't received the spring yet. The postal service has big delays. I'll let you know clearance when I install, hopefully tomorrow. 👍🏻

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velock View Post
    Wait, that is with the stock link, right? I didn't think a piggyback coil would work.

I've been reading through the whole thread trying to research if I can fit a coil into my size Large CC frame. I'm about 175 lbs ready to ride.

So far I'm coming to the conclusion that I can run a CCDB Coil IL without rub. I'm thinking I'll try a ~460lb. spring. A VALT spring most likely will not fit, but a SLS would? Please let me know if I've misunderstood something so I don't make an expensive mistake... Thank you guys!
    Velock,
    I am currently using the stock link in low position only.
    The limiting factor is the spring outside diameter and not much to do with the shock. You can use the CCDBIL or the DHX2 or probably other options too, as long as you can fit the SLS spring. From what I've learnt, the Fox SLS has the smallest OD for a given rate. I am confident the 500lb SLS will fit without rubbing on the stock link. I'd like to try the Vault Progressive spring but it's risky given the greater OD. So, SLS definitely fits, if you want to use a different shock other than CC and Fox, you just need to check if the SLS is compatible.

Judging by Cascades comments, which were very helpful, I'll need to bump up to either 525 or 550lb SLS to use the Cascade link. I'll cross this bridge once I've fitted the 500lb and had a look at the clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    High or low position?
    Total weight ęready to rideĽ?

Another factor to take into account is the weight distribution. Front vs Rear!

While itís mostly dynamic and it changes all the time you can still do a little experiment to help you pick a spring rate depending on your body position.

Put your bike and yourself on a scale (ready to ride). You'll end up with something like for example : rider + bike = 93kg

Now put your front wheel on a scale and put something underneath the rear wheel so the bike is leveled. Now jump on the bike (ready to ride with clothes, shoes, backpack etc ... if you skip this part and guesstimate your weight or weight distribution donít come crying later on because you need the next rate up/down) and put yourself in YOUR attack position. Record the scale reading.

You can do the same for the rear if you want to double check numbers.

Letís say you end up with:

Front: 28kg
    Rear: 65kg

Then weight on the rear is: (65/93)x100=70%

Now how does the weight distribution impact the spring rate?

Here are a few examples:

STOCK link (55mm stroke)

As you can see it does change the spring rate quit a lot, a good 40lbs on average with a 5% shift between front and rear. This might reflect a real life riding position and spring rate on flat(ish) ground but as soon as you drop into steep sections it will become more dynamic ... position, inclinaison, speed etc ... will blend all together and it becomes almost impossible to get an accurate picture of whatís going on but it will put you in the right ballpark and it will be easier to fine tune it to your needs or preferences.

Donít be super focused about all this, what matters most is the feel on the trail but hopefully it might help you decide which one to buy first
    Digev, this is an excellent system for calculating the rate, thanks.
    Reminds of corner balancing my rally cars. We used digital scales under each wheel.
    My method has been more trial and error and I accepted the fact that I will be buying or borrowing 2-3 springs. But at least I get to physically try and feel each option which is invaluable. Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Digev, this is an excellent system for calculating the rate, thanks.
    Reminds of corner balancing my rally cars. We used digital scales under each wheel.
    My method has been more trial and error and I accepted the fact that I will be buying or borrowing 2-3 springs. But at least I get to physically try and feel each option which is invaluable. Cheers
    Trying is hands down the best option, absolutely! But those SLS springs are pretty expensive. Usually when you have more clearance you get the cheap heavy steel springs and you wrap both ends with plastic food wrap (thin plastic film) so you can do some bracketing and narrow down your options. Once youíve found a rate youíre happy with you can send them back and buy the SLS. That being said, you could do the same with any springs and send them back after testing because they are still new with no cosmetic damage.

And if you are in between rates, example 450~500 you can get the 475 SLS because they are offered in 25lb increments. Then ęHappy DaysĽ ... ride and smile until you get another bike

Kudos to you for getting the job done and sharing the outcome with the community

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I still haven't found where I originally saw this but have found a couple other things. The following site mentions in a couple spots that it's for 27.5 only:

https://www.tftuned.com/debonair-air...ri-lyrik/p3412

And if you go to the service section of Rockshox site and look at either the fork spare parts catalog or the fork technical specs, they both have charts that show the 29 *Boost* forks only going up to 150mm with debonair air spring. They do show forks for 29+ being able to go to 160mm. I'm not sure if that's a non boost version or what the difference is that makes one compatible and the other, presumably, not compatible?

Regardless, it's probably worth a quick phone call to RS if thinking about making the change...
    Thank you for these informations, you may be right actually. I just ordered the new debonair airshaft 160mm and i will let you know. At least i could upgrade my 150mm airshaft with new parts. Price is only 10Ä cheaper for upgrade kit than full airshaft so it won't be expensive mistake

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Here are a few examples

STOCK link (55mm stroke)

digev - what is your weight? Sag? What is your preferred shock stroke and set up on your Hightower? Looking for suggestions while I gather parts for my frame.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Can someone please share HSC and LSC settings for Lyrik?
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dickrich View Post
    digev - what is your weight? Sag? What is your preferred shock stroke and set up on your Hightower? Looking for suggestions while I gather parts for my frame.

Thank you.
    I donít own a HT, I posted on this thread to help a friend get a coil on his and thought it might benefit others, looking to do the same ... apparently it did, so thatís cool!

SAG is a funny one but you can aim for 30%-ish and you should probably go for a 55mm stroke with the stock link (if you buy a new shock).

About the weight, read through the past few posts and youíll have your answer about spring rates in relation to ętotalĽ weight and distribution. Make it work for YOU!

If you ever need help about choosing a spring I highly recommend Dougal @ Shockcraft. He made a spring rate calculator based on frequency because it makes a lot more sense than generic calculators.

FYI: Give him the weight distribution if you have it otherwise he will apply the usual 70/30.

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/bike-sp...hockcraft.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I 3D printed a gauge to check the tunnel clearance on my HT2 CC size L. It slips over the RS SDU so it is aligned to the path of the shock. I printed the gauge at 54mm OD which is the max OD for the Cane Creek Vault spring when it is uncompressed. The spring should 'swell' a little when it compresses.

My findings were,

Attachment 1321575

Tunnel clearance is adequate on the non-drive side and the top.
    Attachment 1321577

Tunnel clearance is very tight on the drive side.
    Attachment 1321579

I think the SLS spring is going to be ok but I'm not sure about the Vault or other 54mm OD springs.

Alright everyone, I've got an update on my CC DBIL fitment. I've been pulling the shock and inspecting the tunnel every month. First two months of inspection, I had no rubbing. This was on the linear 450# spring. For reference, I ride 200+ miles of single track a month in the Southeast US. Style of choice is rocky, rooty, natural features/drops with speed.

However, I received the Progressive Vault and finally got around to the install last week. I pulled the shock, swapped the spring, and then gave a look at the tunnel before installing. Low and behold, I had rubbing for the first time since riding this set up for over three months. This was in fact a change over time since the coil that caused it was ultimately the 450# linear.

I've been chatting with the awesome folks over at Cane Creek, and they've been great in dealing with all of this. Shortly after my purchase, they identified the same issue and have been adamant about communicating this with customers who discuss it with them. I slipped through the cracks early on.

All of that said, It's important to note that the rubbing occurred on the upper corner drive side. I've got a Cascade HTv2 LT link pre-ordered, which should put the shock in a better position according to Cascade and as previously mentioned by digev.

In the interim I've re-installed the Super Deluxe, and interestingly, have found it's performance to be pretty decent with 3 tokens (maxed) in the LO position. I weigh 175lb, and am running 167psi. (I personally recommend running 160mm up front if using the LO position.)

Semi Sendy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PissGuh View Post
    Alright everyone, I've got an update on my CC DBIL fitment. I've been pulling the shock and inspecting the tunnel every month. First two months of inspection, I had no rubbing. This was on the linear 450# spring. For reference, I ride 200+ miles of single track a month in the Southeast US. Style of choice is rocky, rooty, natural features/drops with speed.

However, I received the Progressive Vault and finally got around to the install last week. I pulled the shock, swapped the spring, and then gave a look at the tunnel before installing. Low and behold, I had rubbing for the first time since riding this set up for over three months. This was in fact a change over time since the coil that caused it was ultimately the 450# linear.

I've been chatting with the awesome folks over at Cane Creek, and they've been great in dealing with all of this. Shortly after my purchase, they identified the same issue and have been adamant about communicating this with customers who discuss it with them. I slipped through the cracks early on.

All of that said, It's important to note that the rubbing occurred on the upper corner drive side. I've got a Cascade HTv2 LT link pre-ordered, which should put the shock in a better position according to Cascade and as previously mentioned by digev.

In the interim I've re-installed the Super Deluxe, and interestingly, have found it's performance to be pretty decent with 3 tokens (maxed) in the LO position. I weigh 175lb, and am running 167psi. (I personally recommend running 160mm up front if using the LO position.)

Semi Sendy
    Appreciate the update! Have you considered using the smaller OD FOX SLS spring instead, as some have mentioned around here?

I may just stick with my Super Deluxe, and pick up a MegNeg for it. That said if the Fox spring I need (475#) was in stock anywhere right now, I'd probably pick one up to try with a CCDB IL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Does anyone have info on compatibility between the Ohlin's rear shocks and the HT2?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi every one! I will buy a HighTower 2 and I'm 183cm, am I a L size?!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by samu_87 View Post

Thanks!
    really depends you are likely in between sizes and could be a xl as well. But I believe you are more likey a L than a XL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    plenty of clearance with the SLS 475. Still waiting on my 'express shipped' 500lb spring, the postal service in Aus is struggling. I am not expecting any issues fitting the SLS 500.
    Please keep us updated with any info from Cane Creek regarding the Vault Progressive, I'd love to give that a go.

Hightower V2-img_5168.jpg

mtbr member
    That's awesome...pretty sure the 500 lbs spring will work as its OD is below 53mm. Anything above that (and if you weigh more than 160 lbs), it gets dicey in terms of springs fitting, and rubbing that upper drive side of the shock tunnel. I'd love to see/know if the dvo jade with their LS spring - currently seen on the Ripmo AF, would fit. Or if the topaz offers any upgrade over the RS ultimate w/megneg...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Semi Sendy
    Interesting, thanks for the update.
    Please keep us informed if you hear anything further from CC.

Regarding the Super Deluxe, there has been a lot of comment about the MegNeg 'upgrade'. I think its unfair to call it an upgrade, it just feels different, it is good and has merit, it's just very different to the standard can and gives a very different feel. Before trying a coil setup, I actually removed the MegNeg and modified a token so I could have 2.5 tokens in the standard can. I found this to be my favourite setup for the Super Deluxe. Better than the MegNeg for me. I found the MegNeg quite hard to use all the travel, the bike felt more like a tarmac rally car compared to a gravel setup which is softer. At the end of the day you are dealing with a massive increase in air pressure with MegNeg and this creates a firm mid and end stroke. The massive negative chamber helps you get into the initial travel. I suspect the bike would be faster with megneg but it depends what your chasing on your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks!
    I'm a hair taller than you and went with an XL. Definitely the right choice for me.

mtbr member
    Interesting, thanks for the update.
    Please keep us informed if you hear anything further from CC.

Regarding the Super Deluxe, there has been a lot of comment about the MegNeg 'upgrade'. I think its unfair to call it an upgrade, it just feels different, it is good and has merit, it's just very different to the standard can and gives a very different feel. Before trying a coil setup, I actually removed the MegNeg and modified a token so I could have 2.5 tokens in the standard can. I found this to be my favourite setup for the Super Deluxe. Better than the MegNeg for me. I found the MegNeg quite hard to use all the travel, the bike felt more like a tarmac rally car compared to a gravel setup which is softer. At the end of the day you are dealing with a massive increase in air pressure with MegNeg and this creates a firm mid and end stroke. The massive negative chamber helps you get into the initial travel. I suspect the bike would be faster with megneg but it depends what your chasing on your bike.
    can you expand a little bit on the 2.5 token setup compared to stock or your experience with the megneg. I haven't open the shock yet, what's the number of tokens it comes from SC?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    can you expand a little bit on the 2.5 token setup compared to stock or your experience with the megneg. I haven't open the shock yet, what's the number of tokens it comes from SC?
    No worries, the HT2 comes with 1 token in the positive chamber from SC. I found that I bottomed the shock pretty hard with 1 token. Even with 2 tokens and more than 10psi above SC recommended pressure for me I was bottoming a bit too easily. I tried 3 tokens and didn't like the feel. I found the suspension wasn't intuitive, the shock was rampy and the feel changed a lot through the stroke and I never quite knew what was going to get which didn't inspire confidence. I tried to source a Gnar dog spacer which is the equivalent to 2.5 volume spacers but couldn't find any in Aus so I trimmed down a spacer to half the width and sandwiched it between my other two spacers fitted to the shock. you can see in the pic the thickness is half. I should have taken the spacer to our shop and machined the thickness but I managed to just sand the spacer evenly. The setup felt like a good compromise for me and my favourite with the SDU.

I thought I would try a coil after riding with the MegNeg. With the MegNeg, my pressure jumped from 190psi to over 223psi and I removed all positive spacers with the magneg can and sag was sitting a hair over 30%. The spring was more linear. I wasn't bottoming hard at all but I found the negative tuning frustrating and the feeling the negative chamber gives is a little artificial too, its pushing you into the sag area but then you hit a wall of mid stroke support and onwards. I felt like I was trying to emulate some of the linear characteristics of a coil but didnt quite get the consistency or predictability and therefore confidence for me.

I love the predictability of the coil setup, I called it a pallet cleanser because it reveals really what the linkage is doing. It is by far the smoothest I have tried through any rough stuff and seems quite efficient and good at jumping too. But I am bottoming the 475 spring a bit too hard on average size drops and jumps to flat... Not enough spring rate or leverage is not progressive enough on the standard link (well both) for me. The saga continues and so do the compromises. We do ask a lot from our mid travel trail bike. I wish I had contacted EXT and had them build a Storia for me, the shock's hydraulic bottom out control might be key if I want to keep using the stock link. I'm not super keen on pushing my rear travel out to 160mm with the Cascade link yet. I will be keeping my fork at 150mm and don't fancy the stink bug setup.

Hightower V2-img_5003.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Currently 475lb. I'm sitting a little low into the sag (about 16.5mm) and hitting bottom a bit more than I'd like. I have a 500lb spring on the way. With the 475, I'm increasing HSC which definitely helps against harsh bottoming, you can feel when you've gone too far though. I think the 500 spring will be good. The coil is so smooth and still lively and likes jumping.
    It is really hard to measure the sag with a coil on this bike, definitely a two person job. If you don't have a helper, you could use the bump stop, then remove the shock to measure how far the bump stop is pushed down the shaft. Last time weighed myself I was around 77-78 kg.

Zero rubbing with this setup. Large CC frame.
    Good to know! did you weight with or without gear on?
    I'am on Large CC frame as well 6' and 78kg naked

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    We do ask a lot from our mid travel trail bike. I wish I had contacted EXT and had them build a Storia for me, the shock's hydraulic bottom out control might be key if I want to keep using the stock link. I'm not super keen on pushing my rear travel out to 160mm with the Cascade link yet.
    2.25x425/450 EXT springs

OD: 55mm
    ID: 38.5mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

The 2021 DHX2 has been updated with a huge bottom out bumper so it should not bottom out like the previous versions. You should get a nice/supple progression going into the end of the stroke.

If the shaft diameter is the same it might be possible to retro-fit the bumper to the previous generations.

NEW MCU bumper for increased end stroke progression and bottom out control

Lots of development has gone into the new bottom out bumpers. Durometer, shape, how the bumper compresses into the given space were all tweaked to give a better transition into the bumper and a nicer bottom out feel.

mtbr member
    anybody has any idea the OD of the rockshox coil compared to the fox sls?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Thanks!
    I'm 186cm and am happy with XL - I have a longer than average inseam for my height though so found L to be a bit cramped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    anybody has any idea the OD of the rockshox coil compared to the fox sls?
    What spring rate?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No worries, the HT2 comes with 1 token in the positive chamber from SC. I found that I bottomed the shock pretty hard with 1 token. Even with 2 tokens and more than 10psi above SC recommended pressure for me I was bottoming a bit too easily. I tried 3 tokens and didn't like the feel. I found the suspension wasn't intuitive, the shock was rampy and the feel changed a lot through the stroke and I never quite knew what was going to get which didn't inspire confidence. I tried to source a Gnar dog spacer which is the equivalent to 2.5 volume spacers but couldn't find any in Aus so I trimmed down a spacer to half the width and sandwiched it between my other two spacers fitted to the shock. you can see in the pic the thickness is half. I should have taken the spacer to our shop and machined the thickness but I managed to just sand the spacer evenly. The setup felt like a good compromise for me and my favourite with the SDU.

I thought I would try a coil after riding with the MegNeg. With the MegNeg, my pressure jumped from 190psi to over 223psi and I removed all positive spacers with the magneg can and sag was sitting a hair over 30%. The spring was more linear. I wasn't bottoming hard at all but I found the negative tuning frustrating and the feeling the negative chamber gives is a little artificial too, its pushing you into the sag area but then you hit a wall of mid stroke support and onwards. I felt like I was trying to emulate some of the linear characteristics of a coil but didnt quite get the consistency or predictability and therefore confidence for me.

I love the predictability of the coil setup, I called it a pallet cleanser because it reveals really what the linkage is doing. It is by far the smoothest I have tried through any rough stuff and seems quite efficient and good at jumping too. But I am bottoming the 475 spring a bit too hard on average size drops and jumps to flat... Not enough spring rate or leverage is not progressive enough on the standard link (well both) for me. The saga continues and so do the compromises. We do ask a lot from our mid travel trail bike. I wish I had contacted EXT and had them build a Storia for me, the shock's hydraulic bottom out control might be key if I want to keep using the stock link. I'm not super keen on pushing my rear travel out to 160mm with the Cascade link yet. I will be keeping my fork at 150mm and don't fancy the stink bug setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	1326945
    When you tried the MegNeg, were you using all 4 of the negative bands? Sounds like you wanted something in between the std can and the MegNeg can.

mtbr member
    What spring rate?
    I wasnít sure was kinda looking for a comprative between the two, but Iím guessing the SLS has a smaller OD. Iím just 140 soaking wet so Iím guessing on the low end side of spring rates.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I wasnít sure was kinda looking for a comprative between the two, but Iím guessing the SLS has a smaller OD. Iím just 140 soaking wet so Iím guessing on the low end side of spring rates.
    The Superdeluxe coil will only fit in the tunnel without the spring lol they are big suckers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by springs View Post
    The Superdeluxe coil will only fit in the tunnel without the spring lol they are big suckers.
    Iím sure it will be plush!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Riding the HighTower Cascade link ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_YFnHSn...=16bp115a19e3c

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone use fox dpx2 on hightower 2? How much do you weigh and what pressure do you use?

mtbr member
    I just picked up my carbon C hightower. Loving this bike so far. When riding today i noticed my rear thru axle was 1/8 to 1/4 turn loose. how tight should this be to prevent it from loosening during my ride. Im worried that i could easily over tighten it and damage the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2.25x425/450 EXT springs

OD: 55mm
    ID: 38.5mm

Digev, do you know if the Fox SLS would fit over the EXT Storia shock body? Is the SLS OD too tight?

Good call with the 2021 bump stop, I was thinking the exact same thing too. I'm going to try and source one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    When you tried the MegNeg, were you using all 4 of the negative bands? Sounds like you wanted something in between the std can and the MegNeg can.
    Hi Jaks, I tried 2, 3 and 4 bands in the negative side. With 2 bands I needed even more pressure to get close to 30% sag. This made the mid to end stroke travel slightly firmer. I tried up to 4 bands in the negative to try and dial down the effect of the meg neg. It was still very supportive with 4 bands and the bike felt fast and efficient to me. I'd use much less travel compared to the regular can. Megneg changes the whole character of the bike, you'd think it was a different suspension platform. Different and not necessary better or worse for me, I suppose that's the point I was trying to make.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Digev, do you know if the Fox SLS would fit over the EXT Storia shock body? Is the SLS OD too tight?

Good call with the 2021 bump stop, I was thinking the exact same thing too. I'm going to try and source one.
    The EXT spring ID is 38.5mm so nope it wouldnít work!

source: http://www.extremeshox.com/wp-conten..._STORIA_V3.pdf

About the 2021 DHX2 bottom out bumper, yes as soon as they release the part number youíll probably find it for a few $

You'll just need a 9mm shaft clamp and it takes 5mns (you can even add/remove spacers in the meantime to change the stroke if needed)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill29 View Post
    I just picked up my carbon C hightower. Loving this bike so far. When riding today i noticed my rear thru axle was 1/8 to 1/4 turn loose. how tight should this be to prevent it from loosening during my ride. Im worried that i could easily over tighten it and damage the frame.
    Mine came very loose during a ride recently. I have a similar axle on my gravel bike and it can shake itself loose if you're not checking in before each ride. I give a nudge before each ride to keep it snug. I doubt you'll damage it by sensibly hand tightening it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You are supposed to tighten as hard as you can with one hand. Thats what it says on DT Swiss Website i believe. Mine never comes lose

mtbr member
    give it a pretty good snug, it's unlikely to damage the frame don't use any tool, my axle with no handle calls for 9nm I believe but I use my multitool to install the axle since I want to make sure I'm able to remove the wheel if I'm out on a ride. I never had a problem with the axle coming loose, also the axle will bottom out on the dropout before it damages the frame

I've seem quite a few people complaining the axle was coming loose... on both the hightower and megatower. Honestly I'd invest $30 on an axle without the lever, those seem to be better for whatever reason and never come loose!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    give it a pretty good snug, it's unlikely to damage the frame don't use any tool, my axle with no handle calls for 9nm I believe but I use my multitool to install the axle since I want to make sure I'm able to remove the wheel if I'm out on a ride. I never had a problem with the axle coming loose, also the axle will bottom out on the dropout before it damages the frame

I've seem quite a few people complaining the axle was coming loose... on both the hightower and megatower. Honestly I'd invest $30 on an axle without the lever, those seem to be better for whatever reason and never come loose!
    Iíve just installed a Robert Axle Project rear axle
    on my HT2 and they advise to tighten to 12nm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ribbs76 View Post
    Iíve just installed a Robert Axle Project rear axle
    on my HT2 and they advise to tighten to 12nm

Yeah that's what I have the same one the Robert/CK colab axle. I thought it was just 9nm, but I remember thinking it seemed a little too much for an axle when I saw the spec, I use my multi tool and give it a pretty good snug but it's not 12nm definitely, I'd probably wouldn't be able to remove 12nm using my multitool on a ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You really can't damage the frame from tightening too much as the axle bolts into a separate aluminum dropout piece that's replaceable. You might damage the aluminum pieces, however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi Jaks, I tried 2, 3 and 4 bands in the negative side. With 2 bands I needed even more pressure to get close to 30% sag. This made the mid to end stroke travel slightly firmer. I tried up to 4 bands in the negative to try and dial down the effect of the meg neg. It was still very supportive with 4 bands and the bike felt fast and efficient to me. I'd use much less travel compared to the regular can. Megneg changes the whole character of the bike, you'd think it was a different suspension platform. Different and not necessary better or worse for me, I suppose that's the point I was trying to make.
    When I went from 2 neg bands to 3, I thought I would have to lower pressure to get the same sag, but ended up having to use the same pressure, which was unexpected. I also feel like the MegNeg makes it a different ride, but I do like it. I almost use full travel, but leave about 5mm unused so far. I'm going to try all 4 bands and see if that allows me to lower pressure somewhat.

mtbr member
    I might go ahead and buy an axle without a lever. Anyone know where I can find a list of torque specs? my brake calipers need to be adjusted slightly due to some brake rub. I need torque specs I have had a lot of issues with misjudging and stripping threads over the years. I started using a torque wrench as often as possible and now I donít have any more problems.

mtbr member
    I might go ahead and buy an axle without a lever. Anyone know where I can find a list of torque specs? my brake calipers need to be adjusted slightly due to some brake rub. I need torque specs I have had a lot of issues with misjudging and stripping threads over the years. I started using a torque wrench as often as possible and now I donít have any more problems.
    you brake user manual will tell you the torque, it's not much usually in the 6-8 range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Scroll down

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en...tower/2-carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Note the size of the rear axle, itís is 142x12 and not 148x12

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Note the size of the rear axle, itís is 142x12 and not 148x12

This seems like a mistake? How can this fit when the rear hub spec is 148x12.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    This seems like a mistake? How can this fit when the rear hub spec is 148x12.
    No it is correct.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    it's the same on the Bronson, something to do with the 148x12 hub being accommodated by thinner dropouts, but the overall width of the frame still be 142x12....or something crazy like that.

mtbr member
    https://robertaxleproject.com/axle-finder-2/

go here to figure out exactly the axle you need, their axle finder works pretty well!

The correct spec for the axle for the Hightower V2 is M12x1.0 167mm The DT Swiss axle you need is HWQASM00S0233S, but you can buy others from burgtec, chris king, robert axle project and it's for a hub size like said 12x142mm at least this is the DT nomenclature for the axle.

mtbr member
    Αnyone using Burgtec's rear axle?Thinking about ordering one as well as Betterbolts kit for my frame.

mtbr member
    Αnyone using Burgtec's rear axle?Thinking about ordering one as well as Betterbolts kit for my frame.
    I have the Ti bolts from better bolts, nice little touch of bling it comes with 3 pivot bolts and 2 shock bolts! Right now you can find the burgtec axles in the US in case you live here, at the time I was building my bike I couldn't and with shipping from UK it was too expensive and I ended up buying Robert Axle/Chris King colab which is really nice but almost twice the price of the burgtec. If I was buying Today I'd definitely buy the burgtec, first because they are cheaper and I have no reason to believe they are not as good and second because they also come with a dropout bolt which is a nice touch

mtbr member
    I have the Ti bolts from better bolts, nice little touch of bling it comes with 3 pivot bolts and 2 shock bolts! Right now you can find the burgtec axles in the US in case you live here, at the time I was building my bike I couldn't and with shipping from UK it was too expensive and I ended up buying Robert Axle/Chris King colab which is really nice but almost twice the price of the burgtec. If I was buying Today I'd definitely buy the burgtec, first because they are cheaper and I have no reason to believe they are not as good and second because they also come with a dropout bolt which is a nice touch
    Thanks for the reply man,i live in Europe,Robert Axle is available here but too damn expensive.I think the Burgtec one will work just fine.

As for the BetterBolts,i'd like some Ti bolts for my calipers as well.As i'm completely useless on choosing the right size,which ones should i order?

HT2 CC frame,M9120 brakes,180mm rear (no adapter of course) and 203mm front (with shimano adapter).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The EXT spring ID is 38.5mm so nope it wouldnít work!

source: http://www.extremeshox.com/wp-conten..._STORIA_V3.pdf

About the 2021 DHX2 bottom out bumper, yes as soon as they release the part number youíll probably find it for a few $

You'll just need a 9mm shaft clamp and it takes 5mns (you can even add/remove spacers in the meantime to change the stroke if needed)

Hi Digev,
    Thanks for the continued information. I will definitely get hold of a 2021 bump stop to try as soon as I can, I've asked my Fox dealer to keep me informed.

I also spoke to my EXT distributor, he said the threaded portion of the Storia is 34mm OD and the seal cover is 35mm. The ID of my Fox SLS 500lb measures around 35.9mm. So, in theory, if I machined the spring collar I could fit the Fox SLS on the Storia shock. Something to think about anyway. A 2021 progressive bump stop will be a much cheaper item to test next

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply man,i live in Europe,Robert Axle is available here but too damn expensive.I think the Burgtec one will work just fine.

As for the BetterBolts,i'd like some Ti bolts for my calipers as well.As i'm completely useless on choosing the right size,which ones should i order?

HT2 CC frame,M9120 brakes,180mm rear (no adapter of course) and 203mm front (with shimano adapter).
    they have a bolt guide you can print to figure out what you need

https://betterbolts.com/blogs/bolt-measuring-guide

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I'm using the butgtec one its really nice, dont like the twist lock DT Swiss ones,

Burgtec one says 15-17nm on it

I also got the titanium shock bolts in a sale, nicely machined, cant beat a bit of bling

mtbr member
    I have Burgatecs too, and like 'em.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Burgtec one says 15-17nm on it

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    FOX DPS vs Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate

I have a HTv2 Alloy bike. It is custom built from the frame up to my spec.

I've focused on saving as much weight as possible and currently my bike weighs 15.06Kg (33.2lbs), Carbon bars, wheels, cranks, Eagle XO, Vault Mag pedals, etc,

The above weight includes the RS SD Ultimate, which, is a heavy beast at 500g.
    The Fox DPS is much lighter at only 260g, so, in theory, I could get down to 14.8Kg (32.6lbs), which for an Alloy bike, is pretty damn good.

So, my question, how much better is the RS SD Ultimate when compared to the Fox DPS?
    I ride some chunky rocky, Rooty muddy, dry, dusty, wet and muddy UK conditions (for the UK guys here, think Surrey Hills, Afan, Coed-y-Brenin etc)

Keep the RS SD Ultimate and live with the weight penalty? I do of course realise that weight is not the be all and end all and the HTv2 is by no means my first MTB (previous bike was a Bronson v3, before that a Tranny Scout, before that an SB6c, before that a Spesh Stumpy) , but thought it worth having the discussion on the merits of each shock (and no, I do not want a coil shock).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Here is the beast.
    (And stripping to raw saved about 150g).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The above weight includes the RS SD Ultimate, which, is a heavy beast at 500g.
    The Fox DPS is much lighter at only 260g, so, in theory, I could get down to 14.8Kg (32.6lbs), which for an Alloy bike, is pretty damn good.
    The raw alu frame looks really good!

But if you really care about weight, you should have got carbon frame... i would stick with performance over weight and get DPX2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I got an alloy because I like raw alloy.
    The weight comments are a little tongue in cheek.
    More interested in the difference between RSSD Ultimate and Fox DPS

mtbr member
    I also prefer alloy.
    HT came out awesome...congrats
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Beautiful looking bike dude love the raw look, couldn't have a raw frame in Scotland due to the amount of rain fall i dont worry about weight too much i actually prefer a bit of weight in a bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Here is the beast

That is ****ing gorgeous to say the least!
    Specialized Stumpjumper 19 Carbon with lotsa mods

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here is the beast.

- I love the raw-finish too and many, many years ago did it to my Nomad V.1
    Did you have the frame clear-coated or just runnin' it raw?

Oh, and screw the weight. Just RAIL that thing!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Itís not clear coated. Leaving it raw and giving it a quick polish every now and then.

mtbr member
    Here is the beast.

A very nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Forget the weight penalty - Rockshox SD Ultimate is better than the Fox DPS. Also, you have the option of installing the MegNeg if you want.

Your raw Hightower looks fantastic!

mtbr member
    I noticed santa cruz recommends grease on the rear axle. mine came stock with what appeared to be lithium grease. should i continue to use a lithium grease or should I use park tool grease?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Park Tool will be fine

mtbr member
    I noticed santa cruz recommends grease on the rear axle. mine came stock with what appeared to be lithium grease. should i continue to use a lithium grease or should I use park tool grease?
    any waterproof grease will work! don't forget to grease your fork axle as well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anybody ride a cascade link yet?

mtbr member
    Anybody ride a cascade link yet?
    I know someone has ridden a preproduction one but I haven't seen them comment anywhere. We just got all the red links back from the anodizer today so the black and silver ones should be back very soon. Links will be in stock and shipping this week so people should be getting time in on them soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool! Given that the leverage ratio is slightly higher at the beginning of the stroke than the regular link, does this mean that the suspension will be a little bit more sensitive/supple in the initial stroke? Looking for hover bike feel in the initial part.

Also, how is square edge performance?

mtbr member
    Cool! Given that the leverage ratio is slightly higher at the beginning of the stroke than the regular link, does this mean that the suspension will be a little bit more sensitive/supple in the initial stroke? Looking for hover bike feel in the initial part.

Also, how is square edge performance?
    It does! Less pinning off roots and what not. It helps a fair bit with square edge hits. It doesn't go as far as making it practically a MT because well that would be redundant. The change in leverage curve also gives it more bottom out resistance and mid-stroke support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hightower V2-img_5202.jpg

For anyone who's interested, 500lb SLS fitment is fine. No rubbing. Stock link (low position). I think I could probably get away with 550 if/when I want to try the Cascade link too.

Hightower V2-img_5231.jpgHightower V2-img_5227.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    What is the weight of the Cascade link?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    @obiwun
    Framesize and CC or C would be good to know as well since that makes quite a difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tobionassis View Post
    @obiwun
    Framesize and CC or C would be good to know as well since that makes quite a difference.
    Size L CC frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Size L CC frame.
    Thatīs good news - I got a L CC frame as well. Have you already ridden the bike for a while or is this just the "garage test"?
    Iīve heard from quite a few people that while at first there was no rubbing while testing but then after a couple of weeks on the trails....there is rubbed off paint in the tunnel.
    I have a CaneCreek DB IL Coil here but am still unsure wheter I want to risk it or not....Plus Iīd probably need a a different spring. Only got a 450 Vault here. Would probably need a 500 as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

For anyone who's interested, 500lb SLS fitment is fine. No rubbing. Stock link (low position). I think I could probably get away with 550 if/when I want to try the Cascade link too.
    Thank you Obiwun for sharing this it helps a lot.
    A few people here said SLS springs are known for deflecting a little bit, maybe that's why it doesn't rub at the beginning or in "garage mode". It would be interesting to check your tunnel on a longer time ? Anyway i am really tempted to swap my SDL for a CCDB IL as i need 500lb springs as well on my large CC frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thatīs good news - I got a L CC frame as well. Have you already ridden the bike for a while or is this just the "garage test"?
    Iīve heard from quite a few people that while at first there was no rubbing while testing but then after a couple of weeks on the trails....there is rubbed off paint in the tunnel.
    I have a CaneCreek DB IL Coil here but am still unsure wheter I want to risk it or not....Plus Iīd probably need a a different spring. Only got a 450 Vault here. Would probably need a 500 as well.
    Hi, what bottom hardware do you use for your CCDB IL ? i would like to keep the bearing mount as stock. How much do you weigh ready to ride ? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2020

Name:	IMG_5231.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	1330417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5227.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	1330419[/QUOTE]

Thanks Obiwun for your input, I am following the same way: I ordered a Marzocchi Bomber CR and got a Fox SLS spring coil 550lbs waiting for it.
    Going to use this for my uplift days.
    According to my weight, I should be between 550 and 600lbs.
    Can I ask you, your weight please? I weight 86kg full kit

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tobionassis,
    I have ridden the bike for a month now with the DHX2, around 2-3 rides per week. With the 500lb SLS spring installed I've shuttled DH tracks and about had about 4-5 local trial rides. Clearance has been good, no witness marks or rubbing for me.
    I'd say grab a SLS spring and go for it if you've got the shock already!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroJeff29 View Post

Name:	IMG_5231.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	1330417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5227.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	1330419
    Thanks Obiwun for your input, I am following the same way: I ordered a Marzocchi Bomber CR and got a Fox SLS spring coil 550lbs waiting for it.
    Going to use this for my uplift days.
    According to my weight, I should be between 550 and 600lbs.
    Can I ask you, your weight please? I weight 86kg full kit[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeff,
    I honestly haven't weighed myself for about a year. I'm going to need to buy some scales. But when I last weighed i was 77kg. I suspect this might have snuck up a little in recent times. So maybe 78kg. Probably 80kg kitted ready to ride. I was mentioning to Chris_79 that i run 81psi in my 150mm Lyrik with 1 token. I feel like I'm using the front to rear travel quite evenly with my 500lb spring. I can bottom either front or rear on drops and jumps to flats depending on my body position and the trail. So far, I'm really enjoying this setup.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi Obiwum,
    Cool, I used to run 1 token / 150mm front travel in south UK.
    Now I am in the other side of the world, using 4 tokens / 160mm front travel, as I was still bottoming with 3.Our local trails are steep, rooty and rocky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Upgrade of the day 160mm airshaft with new Debonnair on Pike ultimate.
    If any of you are interested, part number 00.4020.552.000

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Also interested in the weight of the link. More importantly, how much heavier (or lighter) is it than the stock link?

mtbr member
    The stock link and the Cascade link are nearly equivalent volumes of machined aluminum, so the weight difference is going to be negligible, and really shouldn't factor in to whether you want one or not.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I don't see how the Cascade Link can go from 150mm to 160mm of travel by changing between a 52.5mm stroke on the shock and a 55mm stroke. Doesn't that imply the linkage has to have a leverage ratio of 4.0 in the last 2.5mm of stroke? From their graph, it's more like a 2.3 leverage ratio.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't see how the Cascade Link can go from 150mm to 160mm of travel by changing between a 52.5mm stroke on the shock and a 55mm stroke. Doesn't that imply the linkage has to have a leverage ratio of 4.0 in the last 2.5mm of stroke? From their graph, it's more like a 2.3 leverage ratio.
    The way I understand it is, the Cascade link gives the suspension greater mechanical advantage over the shock in the initial stages of travel. ie, in the early stages of travel, the wheel moves more for a small amount of shock stroke.
    The result is, the shock needs greater force to support the rider weight and inputs in the initial travel because the wheel has more leverage over the shock. The increased leverage in the initial travel means the wheel will be able to move the shock stroke easier and feel more supple.

The leverage ratio near full compression stroke is similar to the stock link. But the fact that you've increased your spring rate to support the rider in the initial travel means you get greater bottom out support.

It made sense in my head, hopefully it made sense in words.

mtbr member
    Is this what you are trying to figure out or something else -

new shock stroke x travel = x
    x ų old shock stroke = travel

55 x 150 = 8250
    8250 ų 52.5 = ~158mm

mtbr member
    You're entirely correct. Here's what it boils down to... the theoretical amount of travel with the link is actually a little more than 150 mm and with the shock increased to 55 mm is actually a little less than 160 mm. We round our travel numbers to the nearest multiple of 5. The reason we do this as opposed to list the exact theoretical amount is because since we are reverse engineering the frame dimensions there's inherently some error involved and listing travel in 1 mm increments gives a false sense of accuracy. We strive to achieve the most accurate numbers possible, but understand that without CAD data from Santa Cruz there will always be a little disagreement.

If anyone would like to nerd out on math for a moment, one way to arrive at the total amount of travel is to integrate the leverage ratio function with respect to shock stroke. The actual equation for leverage ratio is insanely complex so the best way to actually calculate this is fit a polynomial to the curve or use a Riemann sum. With how fast computers are you can use a very large number of divisions for the sum and it becomes equal to the integral for all practical intents and purposes.

For those of you wondering about weight, It's extremely similar. Too similar to place any value in the difference between the two. We are doing an install video tomorrow and I'll be weighing a production link for this. The prototype link happened to be 10 g lighter than the stock one. How much grease you have packed in the link will have a big influence on which weights more with this small of a difference.

bababooey!

@chris_79

here are all the p/n I used for ordering my shock and hardware. The Lost Co. was able to get me all of it within a week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-17746332-689e-4a6d-824f-f5024e6b5932.jpeg  

Hightower V2-7a6fbc58-e3a6-431b-8050-a394c3e3eab3.jpeg  

Hightower V2-81e936ad-b880-410b-b811-659b40de1ad8.jpeg  

HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    May 2020

@chris_79

here are all the p/n I used for ordering my shock and hardware. The Lost Co. was able to get me all of it within a week.[/QUOTE]

looking goon, those hardware bushings, could you confirm the dimensions? 20x8 / 30x8 , am I right?
    Fox bushings? so compatible with cane creek shock, what eyelet did you buy?
    thanks

bababooey!

looking goon, those hardware bushings, could you confirm the dimensions? 20x8 / 30x8 , am I right?
    Fox bushings? so compatible with cane creek shock, what eyelet did you buy?
    thanks
    RS9220 Fox 5-Piece AL 8mm x .787Ē / 20mm

RS9056 Fox 5-Piece AL Kit 8mm x 1.180Ē / 29.9mm

I have to call Lost Co. about a wheelset I am having built, I can ask which eyelet the shock I bought has. Because it isnít listed in the box, and I lost the receipt.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzc View Post
    RS9220 Fox 5-Piece AL 8mm x .787Ē / 20mm

RS9056 Fox 5-Piece AL Kit 8mm x 1.180Ē / 29.9mm

I have to call Lost Co. about a wheelset I am having built, I can ask which eyelet the shock I bought has. Because it isnít listed in the box, and I lost the receipt.
    Thanks for that.

Someone can confirm the difference between standart and open end eye shock?
    I guess there is no bushing in open end eye ?

What bushings needed to match that Fox bearing mount hardware ?

https://www.tftuned.com/fox-shock-mo...t-8x30mm/p3730

mtbr member
    Just picked up my new 2020 Hightower from River City Bicycles, Portlandia. Great folks! Can't wait to hit the trail this weekend!

Hightower V2-img_3793.jpg
    Vancouver, Warshington

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Upgrade of the day 160mm airshaft with new Debonnair on Pike ultimate.
    If any of you are interested, part number 00.4020.552.000

That is interesting. I believed that Pike goes up to 160 only with 27.5.
    Are you certain that this upgrade can be used for 29?
    Meaning it would transform Pike Ultimate 150mm - 29 (model 2020 ) to 160mm - 29 (i.e. not 160 mm- 27,5)?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't know about that ^^. But I do know I just bought a Pike Ultimate 29 at 150 travel and the fork leg has sag gradients for both 150 AND 160.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    so I've been on my ht2 for 7 months now and it just keeps getting better, just the perfect bike for me.

current set up
    xl cc frame with x01 build
    stock apart from running inserts
    20r 18f
    fork at 160mm no tokens, 75psi 3 lsc 2 hsc
    shock 192psi with 1 extra spacer 32% sag, 55mm stoke with spacer removed.

i feel like I've got the bike as dialled in as good as i can and I'm 90% happy with it, just feel the small bump could be improved that's all, mid stoke is good and the end stroke i find really good. im 75kg naked and run the bike in the high setting, i definitely prefer the curve this provides.

what's peoples thoughts on the megneg and what settings are you running? body weight would be helpful too. seems like an upgrade that could give me the initial small bump im looking for. i prefer the characteristic of air over coil so don't fancy going that route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    just ordered my highland blue c s build with reserve wheels on saturday. im so freaking stoked! i demoed one a few months ago and loved it! now to wait for it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I don't know about that ^^. But I do know I just bought a Pike Ultimate 29 at 150 travel and the fork leg has sag gradients for both 150 AND 160.
    Yes, there are two scales.
    My understanding has been that 150 scale is when used for 29 and 160 scale is for 27,5.
    Am I wrong?

shredthŲgnar
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy17 View Post
    My understanding has been that 150 scale is when used for 29 and 160 scale is for 27,5.
    Am I wrong?
    it does not have to do with wheel size

they've just printed both of them on the same leg. refer to the scale relevant to your air spring setup

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fordo 197 View Post
    so I've been on my ht2 for 7 months now and it just keeps getting better, just the perfect bike for me.

current set up
    xl cc frame with x01 build
    stock apart from running inserts
    20r 18f
    fork at 160mm no tokens, 75psi 3 lsc 2 hsc
    shock 192psi with 1 extra spacer 32% sag, 55mm stoke with spacer removed.

i feel like I've got the bike as dialled in as good as i can and I'm 90% happy with it, just feel the small bump could be improved that's all, mid stoke is good and the end stroke i find really good. im 75kg naked and run the bike in the high setting, i definitely prefer the curve this provides.

what's peoples thoughts on the megneg and what settings are you running? body weight would be helpful too. seems like an upgrade that could give me the initial small bump im looking for. i prefer the characteristic of air over coil so don't fancy going that route.
    Hi ive installed a meg neg very easy install , made a big difference on the initial stroke, running 220psi with 2 x neg bands and 0 tokens in positive just over 30% sag, 4 rebound clicks from open and 6 clicks from open on the compression,

Only had around 5 rides with it so still playing around with it to find the sweet spot

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Am I wrong?
    Again, not positive. But I can tell you the newer sticker says ď29Ē and not ď29/27.5+Ē like the older forks.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    cheers man that's good info, ill use that as a start point.

Hi ive installed a meg neg very easy install , made a big difference on the initial stroke, running 220psi with 2 x neg bands and 0 tokens in positive just over 30% sag, 4 rebound clicks from open and 6 clicks from open on the compression,

Only had around 5 rides with it so still playing around with it to find the sweet spot

bababooey!
    My* link is in the mail!
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    May 2020
    mine too! couldn't decide on colour but went silver in the end, should look pretty sick on the blue frame with silver dmr vaults.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    selling a new XL hightower C S build. Tan color. purchased but loss of employment forces sale. PM me

bababooey!
    mine too! couldn't decide on colour but went silver in the end, should look pretty sick on the blue frame with silver dmr vaults.
    Same here, was really at a crossroads. I needed blue or orange to match my scheme. But Iím more excited about the performance, over looks anyways.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    does anyone know the weight of a size large rear carbon CC triangle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    That is interesting. I believed that Pike goes up to 160 only with 27.5.
    Are you certain that this upgrade can be used for 29?
    Meaning it would transform Pike Ultimate 150mm - 29 (model 2020 ) to 160mm - 29 (i.e. not 160 mm- 27,5)?
    Yes i am certain because i did it and it works fine ! I sent a message to Sram technical service first and they confirmed it was possible. You can also check on the Trailhead all upgrade kits for your fork you just need serial number

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/fr/

New debonnair airspring 160mm, part number 00.4020.552.000

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-20200507_142550.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200511_213723.jpg  

bababooey!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-2910a272-ad0c-4163-9664-b9e107a80927.jpeg  

HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    I bought my Hightower S build Carbon C a couple weeks ago. I was having a hard time deciding on whether or not to get the hightower, the ripmo, the Trek Fuel EX 9.8 or YT Jeffsy. In the end I went with the Hightower because it was in stock at my local bike shop and the others were not available.

This is my first carbon bike. I cant really tell the difference in the ride of carbon vs aluminum. I really like this bike. it is super smooth and quiet (had minor creak from rear axle being slightly loose and GX cassette makes ticking noise in some of the cogs). This bike just absorbs every hit and I have been able to ride over rooty sections much faster.

I really liked my last bike too but I was looking for a change and I wanted to get my brother on a better bike than his old school motobecane. He is super happy too!

Hightower V2-2020-05-09-08.32.31.jpg

Hightower V2-2020-03-01-13.10.56.jpg
    Current Bike: 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower S

Previous bikes: 2019 Trek Fuel EX 7 and 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 27.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    hey,

can you please post a picture once fitted onto the frame, thinking about buying one and wondering how silver would look. Knowing how it rides would be great as well
    Thanks

bababooey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanpaulo42 View Post
    hey,

can you please post a picture once fitted onto the frame, thinking about buying one and wondering how silver would look. Knowing how it rides would be great as well
    Thanks

Iím off the bike for a couple weeks (injury). Iím also dealing with an issue on another part of my bike that I have to get taken care of before returning. Requires full disassembly anyways , so Iíll be waiting a week or two mate.
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    sure no worries bike is already awesome so I'm not really in a hurry to order just curious. Have a speedy recovery

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yes i am certain because i did it and it works fine ! I sent a message to Sram technical service first and they confirmed it was possible. You can also check on the Trailhead all upgrade kits for your fork you just need serial number

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/fr/

New debonnair airspring 160mm, part number 00.4020.552.000

Ok, understand now, Thank you very much :-).

mtbr member
    Loving this bike! Improved on mostly everything from my Tallboy Lt! Totally ripping up all the trails here in the Grand Valley!

Hightower V2-20200412_183536.jpg
    Hightower V2-20200412_183444.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2020

cascade link

hey,

Thanks
    recieved my link today, super fast delivery too, getting from seattle to manchester in 3 days is impressive!

so ive literally just fit it this evening and ill take it for a shakedown tomorrow. lighter than the stock link and looks nice with the blue frame. took all the air out of my shock and on an xl frame there is plenty of clearance with a 210 x 55 shock.

ill report back in a few rides time.

Hightower V2-img_20200513_193956.jpgHightower V2-img_20200513_200612.jpgHightower V2-img_20200513_200620.jpgHightower V2-img_20200513_200651.jpgHightower V2-img_20200513_200654.jpg
    Hightower V2-img_20200513_194006.jpg

bababooey!
    recieved my link today...so ive literally just fit it this evening and ill take it for a shakedown tomorrow. lighter than the stock link and looks nice with the blue frame
    clean the funk off The old one and itís probably about the same weight! Haha, looks great with the blue though. Excited to get mine put in once i deal with my little issue Iím having
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    recieved my link today, super fast delivery too, getting from seattle to manchester in 3 days is impressive!

so ive literally just fit it this evening and ill take it for a shakedown tomorrow. lighter than the stock link and looks nice with the blue frame. took all the air out of my shock and on an xl frame there is plenty of clearance with a 210 x 55 shock.

ill report back in a few rides time.

Name:	IMG_20200513_193956.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	1332733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_200612.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	1332735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_200620.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	1332737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_200651.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	1332739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_200654.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	1332741

Name:	IMG_20200513_194006.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	1332731
    Looks ace is that the standard shock with a meg neg??

Regards

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yes it's the super deluxe ultimate with the Meg neg fitted, I took the spacer out too.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    clean the funk off The old one and itís probably about the same weight! Haha, looks great with the blue though. Excited to get mine put in once i deal with my little issue Iím having

Ha! Good point that, was rushing to get it fitted. Your right though they are pretty similar weight wise

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    silver looks great with the blue frame, do you run the fork in 160 mm of travel as well?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

mtbr member
    May 2020
    silver looks great with the blue frame, do you run the fork in 160 mm of travel as well?
    Yes I've ran it at 160 since I picked up the bike 7 months ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    ok stocked for your feedback on how it runs the bike is already awesome standard

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Hightower V2

Can you still run 27.5 plus wheels on it? Itís got flip chip right, so...

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hey Guys
    Is there any torque settings specs available for the ht v2? struggling to find anything ,cheers in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Scroll down

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en...tower/2-carbon

bababooey!
    edit!
    500lbs CC Progressive Spring doesnít fit with Cascade into XL C frame.

I had bumper on my shock installed proper this time btw!

I think an Orange SLS will match better anyway!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-1a88ef25-0a87-47b9-b8e6-d47923879e21.jpeg  

Hightower V2-e2e1f279-f488-4b6d-a2d4-59215914a22d.jpeg  

Hightower V2-a8dd9f07-36eb-42d0-910c-187ace50a489.jpeg  

Hightower V2-dbd9760e-8705-44b2-8b2e-5d419ed356b0.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Cheers db3266

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    edit!
    500lbs CC Progressive Spring doesnít fit with Cascade into XL C frame.
    Thanks for sharing, but thereís no need for a progressive spring with the Cascade link anyway ... it should make your life easier

I wish you a speedy recovery

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Anyone selling their SD ultimate? Thinking about grabbing one. Or maybe a dpx2

mtbr member
    Will the Fox X2 fit in the Hightower with the Cascade Link?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Hightower V2

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Will the Fox X2 fit in the Hightower with the Cascade Link?
    Nope! The air can is too large.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Highcoiler !!

One more coil shock on Hightower V2 !
    Cane Creek DB IL 210x55 Black Edition and FOX SLS 2.40'' 500lb.
    First ride today with Pike 160mm (2021 debonnair upgrade), this bike is amazing, climbing is still easy with Climb Switch and even faster
    downhill !
    Thanks Digev, Obiwun, Racerzc for your help !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-img-20200515-wa0003.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200518_130350.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200518_130026.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200518_142428.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200518_142414.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200518_142358.jpg  

Last edited by Chris_79; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Happy that youíre stocked!

Fun fact about this setup ... most people donít know but the 210x50/52.5/55 CCDB Coil IL are all a 216x63 with a 6mm internal spacer to reduce the eye-to-eye down to 210mm ... the available stroke length is then 57mm! (once you remove the plastic travel limiter on the shaft)

Pushing the HT2 rear travel to 152mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hi folks

Just noticed when the bike is sitting on the ground and i lift the back end up there is a slight clunk as if the frame is moving up the way, its ever so slight but noticeable, i thought it might be my fox transfer post as they do have slight play in them but that play is normally side to side

Could someone check theirs to see if theirs do it also, ive checked and torqued everything as per SC torque settings

Regards Stuart

shredthŲgnar
    that blue beauty up there rly nice! 7/7

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Happy that youíre stocked!

Fun fact about this setup ... most people donít know but the 210x50/52.5/55 CCDB Coil IL are all a 216x63 with a 6mm internal spacer to reduce the eye-to-eye down to 210mm ... the available stroke length is then 57mm! (once you remove the plastic travel limiter on the shaft)

Pushing the HT2 rear travel to 152mm
    Not all of them have been made like that. Earlier ones were made 210x55 a different way but 57mm stroke is still achievable on them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Not all of them have been made like that. Earlier ones were made 210x55 a different way but 57mm stroke is still achievable on them.
    Good to know! Thanks Rick.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Sounds more like the DU bushing on the front of the shock that mounts to the down tube. Try holding that area while you pick up on the frame and see if you can feel it there.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster View Post
    Sounds more like the DU bushing on the front of the shock that mounts to the down tube. Try holding that area while you pick up on the frame and see if you can feel it there.
    Yeah thats where it seems to be, i take it I'll have to get new bushings for the shock?? I think they are 12mm??

Regards Stuart

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Yeah thats where it seems to be, i take it I'll have to get new bushings for the shock?? I think they are 12mm??

Regards Stuart

yes should be 12.7mm ID bushings in 15mm ID eyelet

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One week riding the new Cascade LT link for the HTv2, with a proper shakedown this weekend. 150/160 with a Helm 29 coil up front and the RockShox Super Deluxe out back.

Between Saturday and Sunday alone we did 10,000í of descending (3k of that shuttled, 7k climbed) in only 32 miles.

This linkage is incredible. I really did not expect such a huge perceivable change.
    The climbing is even a touch better with improved small bump sensitivity. Felt less likely to hang up in the tech. Zero perceivable loss in efficiency.

Descending is insane. I ran a Cane Creek DBIL coil for the last 3 months. Put the RSSD back on for a couple of weeks with the stock link, then left it on for the swap. The performance of the RSSD is transformed. Night and day.

Small bump is buttery for an air shock, high speed chop just gets devoured. I was able to hang with a megatower, a Capra 29 and an s-works enduro, all fast riders, on one of the fastest techies trails in the east, and the minimega just ate and held its own. I was able to drop them on some of the more pedaly downhill trails and clean climbs everyone else was pushing.

Iíll do a more long term and in depth review later, but I wanted to share these initial impressions.

If you're on Facebook and want to see some POV footage I posted riding this set up on Heartbreak and a few other spots in Pisgah last weekend, you can find the post in the SC Hightower and mega tower group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1766...action_generic

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    One week riding the new Cascade LT link for the HTv2, with a proper shakedown this weekend. 150/160 with a Helm 29 coil up front and the RockShox Super Deluxe out back.

Between Saturday and Sunday alone we did 10,000í of descending (3k of that shuttled, 7k climbed) in only 32 miles.

This linkage is incredible. I really did not expect such a huge perceivable change.
    The climbing is even a touch better with improved small bump sensitivity. Felt less likely to hang up in the tech. Zero perceivable loss in efficiency.

Descending is insane. I ran a Cane Creek DBIL coil for the last 3 months. Put the RSSD back on for a couple of weeks with the stock link, then left it on for the swap. The performance of the RSSD is transformed. Night and day.

Small bump is buttery for an air shock, high speed chop just gets devoured. I was able to hang with a megatower, a Capra 29 and an s-works enduro, all fast riders, on one of the fastest techies trails in the east, and the minimega just ate and held its own. I was able to drop them on some of the more pedaly downhill trails and clean climbs everyone else was pushing.

Iíll do a more long term and in depth review later, but I wanted to share these initial impressions.

If you're on Facebook and want to see some POV footage I posted riding this set up on Heartbreak and a few other spots in Pisgah last weekend, you can find the post in the SC Hightower and mega tower group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1766...action_generic
    Nice feedback

Cascade are prototyping a link for the SB130/SB150 so I'll finally enjoy it too

Happy shredding!

See you at the top.
    I've seen various people post about removing the travel spacer in the RSSDU on the HT V2 but I can't find anyone reporting back on the ride. Also I can't find any info on what to remove on line. I am sure I can figure it out but generally, there are gobs of posts on mods such as this but this one is strangely on the DL. Anyone know why? Also curious if anyone is running this setup with a megneg? Any info would be great. Sorry if it is here somewhere but I could not find it.

I have a HT V2 full dentist build. I love it. I had a MT for about a month. I did not like it. Seen a lot of people say its not that different. I sure found it so. Best
    I can't wait till they put condos here. Said no one ever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My build is finished.

https://youtu.be/uzdR_gS4uj4

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Just placed an order for a size L Hightower C S 29. Last bike was a 2016 OGHT which I ran with 29" wheels but in the Hi setting and with a 150mm fork. Excited to compare the ride quality of this HT2 over my OGHT.

My build is finished.

https://youtu.be/uzdR_gS4uj4

The raw alu looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hi folks anybody know what the torque setting for the seat post clamp, can't find anything listed, carbon frame,

Regards

Hi folks anybody know what the torque setting for the seat post clamp, can't find anything listed, carbon frame,

Regards

Guessing... but I would say between 3Nm - 5Nm (with carbon paste)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Highcoiler on the scale, large CC frame. Magic Mary 2.35 front Dissector 2.40 rear.
    29,3 lbs 13,3KG

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-20200519_184227.jpg  

Hightower V2-20200519_190150.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Highcoiler on the scale, large CC frame. Magic Mary 2.35 front Dissector 2.40 rear.
    29,3 lbs 13,3KG

I think my scales must be off lol, I've done my best to get weight off with carbon parts etc but still at 32lbs, maybe im using too much tyre sealant lol

mtbr member

Regards

This is curious since I were looking for the same info for Stigmata and couldn't find one. There are torque specs almost anything else in Stiggy white paper except for the seal collar bolt. The LBS has used the torgue of 7 Nm (or that was the setting in my whrench that unscrewed the bolt. That's quite lot, don't you think? I would have said 5 Nm max for carbon frames...
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member

Regards

santa cruz doesn't spec torque for the seapost clamp, torque to whatever spec the dropper tells you to do. my reverb says 6.7nm, I've been torquing to 6nm without a problem. dropper post torque specs are not going to be anything unreasonable that the frame can't handle so just torque to your post torque spec.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    First ride with the Cascade Link today.
    I set my sag and rebound and went riding.
    It felt amazing.
    235psi, 5 click of rebound from closed.
    Iím about 90kg
    Dynamic sag was 33% so I might up the pressure a tiny bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    First ride with the Cascade Link today.
    I set my sag and rebound and went riding.
    It felt amazing.
    235psi, 5 click of rebound from closed.
    Iím about 90kg
    Dynamic sag was 33% so I might up the pressure a tiny bit.

Awesome can't wait to get my one, i take it your info is based around the standard shock??

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes, Super Deluxe Ultimate.
    I should add that LSC is only 1 click from fully open

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone interested in a Hightower v2 in blue that is pretty much custom head over to the classifieds and check it out.

bababooey!

Still awaiting new cables, and a Brembo setup for the rear. Shipping seems to be at a stand-still coming from certain places still. So I havenít tested the link and this setup yet (CCDBIL w/ 600 pound rate sls). Excited to get back to the coil though, the link will be Icing in the Cake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hightower V2-533ea99f-7173-4b12-bf54-b4437f650a52.jpg  

Hightower V2-112ac45c-4bb2-4647-a801-5c8166086f22.jpg  

HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2020

Still awaiting new cables, and a Brembo setup for the rear. Shipping seems to be at a stand-still coming from certain places still. So I havenít tested the link and this setup yet (CCDBIL w/ 600 pound rate sls). Excited to get back to the coil though, the link will be Icing in the Cake
    Clean!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Nice man

Any indication yet of the 600lb SLS spring will rub on anything??

Would you have the part numbers available for the upper / lower shock mount fitting kits??

What size is the shock??

Regards

bababooey!
    Any indication yet of the 600lb SLS spring will rub on anything??
    There hasnít been any rubbing. I shouldíve measure OD before installing, so I could compare the difference between the 600LB SLS and the 500LB progressive spring. I will once the new DHX2 arrives

What size is the shock??
    The shock came boxed up as a 210x55. But with the link itís 57, if you clip the plastic travel spacer? Donít quote me on that. Iím not sure, digev is the master of numbers.

Would you have the part numbers available for the upper / lower shock mount fitting kits??
    Can Creek Part # BAD1742

Fox p/n:
    803-03-177D FTW 735574 [8mm, Mounting Width 1.180] ref 214-09-018

803-03-236A FTW 728563 [8mm, mounting Width 20mm] ref 215-09-043
    HT V2 C XL

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    There hasnít been any rubbing. I shouldíve measure OD before installing, so I could compare the difference between the 600LB SLS and the 500LB progressive spring. I will once the new DHX2 arrives

The shock came boxed up as a 210x55. But with the link itís 57, if you clip the plastic travel spacer? Donít quote me on that. Iím not sure, digev is the master of numbers.

Can Creek Part # BAD1742

Fox p/n:
    803-03-177D FTW 735574 [8mm, Mounting Width 1.180] ref 214-09-018

803-03-236A FTW 728563 [8mm, mounting Width 20mm] ref 215-09-043
    Awesome man your a star

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Awesome man your a star

Did you use the original shock bolts??
    Also what size of spring is it as in inner diameter??

Regards

mtbr member
    May 2020

Hi , nice build . It seems that you haven't wraped it with frame protection . I receive my HT2 frame next week and i wonder which matte or gloss frame protection choose , this color "sand" or "desert" looks like mid gloss or mid matte and i can't choose.

mtbr member

Hightower V2

Meg neg gets a mention in the FAQ"s so all good

where did you find this FAQ page? I can't find this anywhere...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    where did you find this FAQ page? I can't find this anywhere...
    Hi its on the cascade website, under HT linkage FAQ"s tab

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast