Heckler size and rear shock question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Heckler size and rear shock question

Hi, i am planning on buying a heckler frame and I have some questions. I am 5' 10 3/4" tall, which according the Santa Cruz sizing chart sems to put me at the top end of a medium and the bottom end of a large. I was looking for advise on which size to get. I found three frames, the new model in large and medium and last years model in medium. I plan on rinding all kinds of terrain, rough trails, the odd mountain trip and general XC trails with lots of roots etc.

My second question is the rear shock. On the frames I am looking, the large one has a Float R and the other medium has an RP23. The last years model in medium has a DHX air. I prefer the color of last years model but I am not sure about the DHX air. I also have an older Fox Float RL AVA which has an 8" eye to eye, which I think would fit last years model, which I could send to PUSH to replace the DHX air. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    I am 6' and got the Med. with FloatR. I am very happy with it. I like to go a little smaller on the frame. I have a 100 stem and it fits me perfect. The rear shock is ok for most trails so far. I hear the rp23 is very good.
    Last edited by yfdcap; 07-14-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    i'm 5'11.75" (close to you) and I am riding a new LARGE heckler.5 with an RP23...

absolutely love the fit (90mm stem) and the RP23!...the adjustments really change the feel of the bike...you can set it to attack the downs and really firm it up on the climbs...

i have a medium DH frame, but like the large frame for everything between XC and aggressive trail riding...i don't want to be wedged in the cockpit for rides that require pedaling...

another thing you want to consider: the experts say santa cruz frames usually run a little small (top tube)...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 6' and ride a medium as well with a 100mm stem. I absolutely love it. I've got the DHX coil so I can't comment on your shock choice

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 6'1" and ride a large heckler w/ a 65mm stem.

-scoon

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Have you test ridden both sizes?

Before I bought my frame I rode both just around parking lot, medium felt too cramped.
    I'm 5' 11" and ride a large late '06 Heckler, mainly for XC/trails/AM, you can run a shorter stem (70-90mm). I have a DHX Air, works well for trail riding, 1 year + with no air loss/stuck down problems. but I'm light, 160lbs. Heckler w/DHX Air + heavier rider = no mid range support/bottoming problems.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    if it's any help, i'm exactly 6' and i've got a large with a 90mm, 15 degree rise stem. it's absolutely perfect. i ride XC and AM.

this guy looks tallish for his Medium heckler. he seems to like it, but i'm not sure how comfortable he's gonna be on an epic ride:
    As promised - My Heckler pics, Action shots too! - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=315803

i dunno, i kinda like a bit of room in the cockpit, helps climbing significantly and a slightly longer wheel span inspires confidence and allows you more room to shift weight/position when the going gets really knarley. remember: the heckler's got a smallish cockpit anyway, with long legs.

if i were you, i'd go for a Large, albeit with a shortish stem. get aforks with a 20mm thru-axle as well, like 66's or the new 55's.

good luck wigga!!
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    as for shock, i had a 5th element, which was awesome, but eventually f&%ked-out. now i got a DHX 5.0 coil, which is ok, but it ain't as good as the 5th in it's prime. i wouldn't really recommend the DHX. my mate races XC on his heckler and has always had an RP3. he absolutely swears by it, but then again, he's a gun XC rider and only weighs about 70kg.

so, if you're light, maybe try an air shock like the RP23. if you're of a heavier stature, get a coil. personally, i'd really like to try a Rocco coil. even without a stable platform, i hear they're awesome. go on, try something different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy
    as for shock, i had a 5th element, which was awesome, but eventually f&%ked-out. now i got a DHX 5.0 coil, which is ok, but it ain't as good as the 5th in it's prime. i wouldn't really recommend the DHX. my mate races XC on his heckler and has always had an RP3. he absolutely swears by it, but then again, he's a gun XC rider and only weighs about 70kg.

so, if you're light, maybe try an air shock like the RP23. if you're of a heavier stature, get a coil. personally, i'd really like to try a Rocco coil. even without a stable platform, i hear they're awesome. go on, try something different.
    Hey there,
    Hmmm... DHX5 coil works every bit as well as my 5th did but I got it set up in 1/4 of the time. I would definately suggest this shock to people who are replacing their 5th.

-scoon

MRC
    Australien
    Jan 2004
    I'm the same height as you and ride a large. I started with a 5th Element, and just replaced it with an RP23. The RP23 is a lot lighter, but after one ride isn't as plush. Still breaking in no doubt. The back end skips around a bit more I'm noticing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm 5'11" & ride a large with layback seatpost & 100mm stem. It feels short to me & was considering trying a 110mm stem but having considered the above set-ups I'll try get used to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i'm 5'11 and sold my 06 medium heckler to buy a large 09 and am very happy. i always thought the medium was a bit cramped.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    DOH! lawl...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    5"8 on a good day, long torso short legs. Ride a medium with Thomson layback post with 120 mm stem

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Can't comment on frame size since I'm nowhere near your size. On the shock question, I've got the Float R and don't see any reason get get a shock that has low speed compression damping adjustment. The Huckler's single pivot geometry has built-in anti-squat and remains nice and plush when you're not stomping the pedals. Don't sweat the shock choice, just pick the frame size that works for you, ride it and enjoy.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Burl
    I also have an older Fox Float RL AVA which has an 8" eye to eye, which I think would fit last years model, which I could send to PUSH to replace the DHX air.
    The Heckler comes stock with a 8.5" x 2.5" shock. IIRC there is a thread on here about running a shorter i to i shock on the Heckler
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Just got a 2010 "AM" build in Lime Green.
    Rock Shox Sector and Fox Float R
    I added 8" disc up front.
    6'5" 215lbs on an XL frame - fits very well.

Ride mostly technical XC terrain (New England)...have 4-5 rides in and I'm lovin it.
    Still tweaking suspension to dial in full travel/rebound preference but it's pretty close to perfect now.

Climbs surprizingly well (of course not as good as my Trek Fuel but damn good considering the additional suspension travel). I love the 6" travel on the downhills and occasional hits at our ride locations. This is a GREAT all rounder...really happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler size and rear shock question-heckler-left.jpg  

Heckler size and rear shock question-heckler-right.jpg  

12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    5-11 here w/ a large and a 50mm stem. Fits perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm thinking of getting a used previous generation Heckler(up to 2007),but seem to be right in the M-L range.

I'm just over 5'11" with a 32" inseam,and have a long reach.
    I currently ride a 17.5" Cove handjob XC with a 70mm stem,(size chart here);

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I...09%20specs.pdf

I prefer to have the bike on the smaller size(the Cove is just the perfect size for how I like a bike to feel,although if it was any smaller it would be too small!)

I've read that SC bike size a bit on the small side,so am worried that a M would be too cramped on the top tube(I ride mainly XC but want something suitable for AM duties)

Anyone here ride a Handjob & Heckler?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Six foot even with a large and 60mm stem. I wouldn't go any smaller, for sure.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7"ish with a 30" inseam I have a medium that is just right for me. It depends on how you want the bike to ride but I'd probably go Large.

I like the Float/Sektor combo that mine came with. It's taken everything I've tossed at it, and is light.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Members who have read this thread: 1