Heckler size delimma...Shipped size too small, go larger?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Heckler size delimma...Shipped size too small, go larger?

I know this comes up kinda often...would appreciate some advice

I just received my new Heckler after a month of wait...but now have a bit of a dilemma.

I originally ordered a medium from my LBS, but started to question that a bit. So I took a Large Blur LTc out for demo (no Heckler demo bikes, and the Blurs have the same geometry). Felt super nice. Didn't even feel like I needed to "get used to the bike". Railed through banked switch backs, climbed well, etc. But I didn't do any chunky technical terrain with it. So I changed the order to a large Heckler, but was sent a Medium by mistake three weeks later. The LBS did the build without noticing.

I notified the bike shop after getting it home and measuring to confirm it was actually a medium. Was told to go ahead and ride it several times and if I wanted they would do a rebuild with a new large frame and just sell my current frame as used. Sweet!

I've ridden the bike several times now, and first ride didn't seem as nice as the Blur. I know the VPP and carbon frame is nice, but it seemed different in some other way. Made some fork adjustments and went out again. Lots of climbing, fast downhill, chunky tech downhill. Much better outing than the first time. And was out again today, again nice ride.

I'm 5'10", 32" pants inseam, so I fall right in between the size guidelines. My hardtail has a 23.5" Eff. top tube, and my loaner 120mm full susp bike i've been on since moving out to SoCal is also 23.5 ETT. The Medium Heck is only 22.5, while the large is 23.5. I'm still really debating if I should swap over to the Large like I originally ordered. The medium feels alright now, but maybe thats b/c I'm already starting to compensate. At times I think that I feel a little tall on the bike (especially in some of the tight, fast corners), but I really question if the extra inch in ETT would make that much difference.

SS Pusher Man
    SC bikes have short top tubes....at your height, the L would probably have been a better choice. At 6' w/32" inseam, I felt more comfortable on a XL.....the L felt too short if I had to do any pedaling.

You are going to feel on top of the medium frame, because it is on the small side for you.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Och aye the noo
    You are in the grey area of the SC size chart and with SC bikes having short top tubes I would say that a large would be a better fit but can also depend on how long your upper body is compared to your legs.

See if you can get a ride on a large Heckler back to back with your medium. That should help you decide.

Or you could get the shop to swap your medium Heckler to the large LTc demo frame that you tried. If they have good customer service they should do you a deal.

mtbr member
    Its really a matter of personal preference. I am 5'10" and I own a Medium Nomad and a Medium Heckler. I like to be able to throw them around a little so i like them small

mtbr member
    Hi, I'm 5' 8" and getting a Heckler soon, would an M size be ok?
    My previous bike was an S sized (16") Giant Trance X.
    And I do occasional jumps and drops too...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ended up swapping the frame to a Large and prefer it over the medium. You'd probably like the medium. The main dimension to look at is the effective top tube length between your current bike and the one you want to get. Seat tube length isn't that important really b/c you can adjust your seat height, but you have less options in adjusting the reach. In my opinion, Santa Cruz runs small for their stated size. For instance a Medium Yeti has very similar geometry to a Medium Santa Cruz bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Will be getting a medium since the geometry is almost the same with the Trance X size S.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is good info... I'm debating on a Heckler or a Butcher and I need all the info I can get.

I'm also 5'10 with a 32 inseam

mtbr member
    You can either get a large or a medium according to Santa Cruz's rider height chart.
    Btw, can't get the Heckler any time soon due to unseen circumstances...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi, I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and moved to the Heckler form a Commencal Meta medium frame (which always seemed small )
    Went for a size large and its the best thing I've ever done. Really feels like I sit 'in' the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Im 5'11 with 32' inseam. Rode a L Heckler but just changed over to a L Butcher with 50mm Stem.......it perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphereza View Post
    You can either get a large or a medium according to Santa Cruz's rider height chart.
    Btw, can't get the Heckler any time soon due to unseen circumstances...
    I'm 5'8'' and my 2011 medium is a perfect fit- love the bike. Hopefully unseen circumstances will allow you to get one soon!

MRC
    Australien
    Jan 2004
    Go Large. I'm the same size, Medium is too short

mtbr member
    totally personal preference. I rode a Medium with a 50mm stem and I am 5'10"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    totally personal preference. I rode a Medium with a 50mm stem and I am 5'10"
    Agree. Smaller bikes feel more nimble and "flickable" as well, though you sacrifice some climbing ability. I am 6'3" riding an XL Butcher and on some tighter trails, I feel almost as if I should have gotten the L. Oh well, live and learn.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I own a medium Butcher and I'm about 5'8" tall, and weigh about 150+. I know a large would of been way too big for me. The bike feels big to me for a medium, it feels like a large with 70mm crank arms, a 50mm stem, and a fork set at 150mm. When I'm sitting on the seat, I can barely touch ground. Good luck

gwm
    heckler and jekyll
    We used to be on the same boat, I'm 5'10" as well and I used to own a M heckler and always thought I was cramped in it, it felt good at first then when came those long epic rides I'd get really uncomfortable. So when I decided to go get my Blur LT2 I went Large.

Best damn choice I ever made on a bike. You feel more "in" the bike rather than "on" it. Give it some time and choose a stem your comfortable with (I use an RF 70mm atlas and it's perfect)

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    SC bikes flat out run small. I'm 5'9" but only have a 30" inseam so I have a long torso and short legs. Sucks because medium is too small and large too big. When in doubt go bigger with a shorter stem I say - the longer wheelbase will be welcomed when pointing downhill, trust me!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-30-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" with a 31-inch inseam (I'm always between 30-32 inches) and got the large Heckler with a 90mm stem... definitely the right choice. It seems to fit more like the medium bikes I Have too- Specialized, Salsa, Trek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hi, i had a bit of a dilemma also. ordered a SMALL 2011 heckler to replace my Small (but 17") 08 el guapo. but when i built it up, i noticed the standover is a bit higher than the el guapo (even though the seat tube is 15"). i am 5'5" and also fall on the gray area of SCB's sizing chart. i have tried my brother's '05 MEDIUM heckler and i think the standover fits me fine (with a little bit of balls touching the top tube).
    The top tube on the medium and small fits me fine both using 50mm stems. At. first I was annoyed with the standover because I wanted a little bit of leeway for my balls in the event of a crash. but what the heck, it's the smallest size and it rides awesome. sucks being short..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had /have the same problem, went from a Large Superlight to a medium Heckler.Im 5 11
    with a 30.5 inseam.The SL was definitely too long but my buddies Med Heck seemed like it had to be too small with only a 22.5 ETT, thing is every time I ride it I can't quit smiling. I went back and forth, ordered a L, cancelled and rode my buds bike some more. Ended up ordering the Med this am. Im sure anybody that saw me on a it would say I was way too big for that frame but it is so much fun, handles like a razor ,point and shoot, rips the switches...........hopefully I don't regret the choice, didnt have a L to try and didn't want to risk losing the feel/handling that the Med has.May change my mind after a few trips OTB?

Members who have read this thread: 0