Heckler riders: What length stem are you using?- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Heckler riders: What length stem are you using?

What length stem are you all running on yours? How does it work out for the type of riding you do? Just curious, as I am still fiddling with mine.

I started out with a 90mm x 5deg when I had my Z1 FR, but it was too short for steep or technical climbs, but great for FR type stuff. Switched to a 105mm x 0deg stem and it felt better overall. I have recently switched to a TALAS fork, which dropped the front end almost an inch and steepened my angles. I have a 100mm x (5-10ish, not sure exactly)deg stem and it feels a little short. I am considering a 110mm x 5mm. My only hesitation is that I don't want to sacrifice too much FR geometry. It's really the practical length I am concerned with, as I have some spacers to play around with for height. It's a balancing act, getting the bike set up for both steep/technical up and the same going down.

Thanks
    Kapusta

Ultimate Poseur

Mine is

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    What length stem are you all running on yours? How does it work out for the type of riding you do? Just curious, as I am still fiddling with mine.

I started out with a 90mm x 5deg when I had my Z1 FR, but it was too short for steep or technical climbs, but great for FR type stuff. Switched to a 105mm x 0deg stem and it felt better overall. I have recently switched to a TALAS fork, which dropped the front end almost an inch and steepened my angles. I have a 100mm x (5-10ish, not sure exactly)deg stem and it feels a little short. I am considering a 110mm x 5mm. My only hesitation is that I don't want to sacrifice too much FR geometry. It's really the practical length I am concerned with, as I have some spacers to play around with for height. It's a balancing act, getting the bike set up for both steep/technical up and the same going down.

Thanks
    Kapusta
    I am running a 120*5deg Thomson. Mine is built like an overbuilt XC bike. I have no issues climbing and it rips on downhill sections. I have been considering trying a 110 just to see what the difference is like. Don't think there are many of us Heckler riders that are using stems past 110 in length. Regards.

Jan 2004
    Using Thomson 110 for trailriding. I have a 70mm Thomson for shuttle/sky lift runs. I am 6'1 with a large Heckler

|i|
    120/5 Thomson stem -- Heckler built on the XC side of the coin.

Really it just depends on your style of riding -- for me, I wanted a 5 inch geometry for those just in case moments, but I also didn't want to sacrifice handling. In my case, shorter than 120 and I start having cornering issues.

120 is the reasonable max for this bike, IMO. Anymore and I'd start being endo prone which defeats the purpose of the bike.

Unshaven Yak
    110 5deg Thompson with a couple of spacers. I'm 6'3" on a large frame so I needed the extra length. I have a Z1 on the front.

Good climber & awesome descender. I have ETA but don't actually need to use it except for extreme steeps.

Hella Olde
    I wouldn't bother with too much handwringing over 10mm (1 cm!). I'll bet you will run a shorter and shorter stem over the life of the bike as you progress towards the type of riding the Heckler loves. Just get a 75mm stem and give it a go, If it doesn't feel right now,
    don't worry, it will. At least you will be making a noticeable difference...you don't want to be hunched over the thing too much, do you? I feel that 75mm steers much, much better than 100/110/120.

-EDIT- oops, just reread the original post and my response does not really apply
    I'll stand by it anyway...long stems flat-out suck for FR, just alter your climbing position.

J2K
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I run a 50mm stem on my large heckler. Doesn't really affect my climbing. Short stem puts more of the bike underneath your body, so you can throw the bike around easier. I wasn't sure about using such a short stem but borrowed one from a friend. Do the same. You will like it. What do you have to lose?
    j2k

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J2K
    I run a 50mm stem on my large heckler. Doesn't really affect my climbing. Short stem puts more of the bike underneath your body, so you can throw the bike around easier. I wasn't sure about using such a short stem but borrowed one from a friend. Do the same. You will like it. What do you have to lose?
    j2k
    Well, I definitley prefered the 105mm over the 90mm, which I used for a while, so I am guessing a 50 would not work out too well for me. As it is, my seat is pushed all the way back on a setback post. I liked the short stem for FR and I would use it again for days when that was all I was doing (such as a trip to the ski lifts) but for all around use, which includes long steep climbs, I like a little extra length.

This is really interesting to me to hear the range of setups people have. Everything from 50mm to 120mm. I guess that makes sence considering the diversity in the builds you see. I've got mine more on the XC side (TALAS fork, XC rims, 2.3 continental tires)

Thanks for the input.

Kapusta