Going from gen 2 to gen 3- Mtbr.com
    zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Going from gen 2 to gen 3

I am getting a crash replacement for my 2014 Tallboy and it will be a 2017 Tallboy C. Unfortunately it doesn't look like much from my '14 can be used on the '17.
    What I have identified so far is the rear shock, front der, rear wheel, seatpost, and possibly crank need to be updated. The biggest thing is the "Boost" issue with the rear wheel. I will either have to get an adapter for my Haven wheel to go 148x12 or a new wheel.
    Not sure if I need a new crank as well, (add 3mm spacer to drive side?). I run 2x10 and hope to keep it that way to save $$.
    And finally, what size is the seat post clamp diameter?

Any input on what can be swapped over and what needs to be replaced?

Last edited by zon; 03-07-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Dark Meat
    Seat post is 31.6, rear hub is 148, cranks are boost spacing...wolf tooth offers the boostinator Boostinator ? wolftoothcomponents.com
    I'm pretty sure the rear shock will transfer to the new frame???

mtbr member
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read that Santa Cruz still uses non-boost cranks on their bikes.
    Either way, I'd try your existing crank. Maybe the chainline will work for you.

As griz mentioned above, your new seat post will be 31.6, but seatpost shims/sleeves are available so you can use your 30.9 post.

Out of curiosity, how much does Santa Cruz charge for the crash replacement on a complete frame?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    quick, cheap and easy spacer kit to make your rear wheel and brake work.

shim the seatpost. hell, even one made from a talboy can (hah!) works well.

all you gotta' do.

not perfect, but you can then not worry about spending more dough on a proper boost rear wheel until later.

cranks shouldn't be an issue. there is enough leeway with spacers and whatnot between the cassette and BB to get things for a decent chainline.

have recently done the same thing going from the prior gen. 5010 to the newest.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    If your running a double you will need a new crank. Single just the ring. Frame should come with a rear shock 184x44. otherwise your list is correct.

mtbr member
    Zon,

Sell the replacement frame and buy a used TB2 frame and you will save lots of money and frustrations.
    TB3 is a different animal, take one for a test ride on your local trail and see if you like it.
    Unless you really like it over the TB2, (I didn't, but to each his own)) I think you should consider following my advise.
    Good luck
    Yeti SB100
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    Zon,

Sell the replacement frame and buy a used TB2 frame and you will save lots of money and frustrations.
    TB3 is a different animal, take one for a test ride on your local trail and see if you like it.
    Unless you really like it over the TB2, (I didn't, but to each his own)) I think you should consider following my advise.
    Good luck
    That's sound advice.

mtbr member
    I don't believe there is a boost adapter for the easton haven wheelset. the crash replacement frame should come with a shock, if it does not, force them to provide one. The framesets have specific damping requirements that the shocks on that particlar frame need to have perform at it's best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Zon,
    Similar situation (warrantee replacement) - I had to replace the headset also.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I don't believe there is a boost adapter for the easton haven wheelset. the crash replacement frame should come with a shock, if it does not, force them to provide one. The framesets have specific damping requirements that the shocks on that particlar frame need to have perform at it's best.
    Yeah,, ended up buying a new wheelset,, went with Mavic Elite.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Members who have read this thread: 0