Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

The future Hightower

So, Iím hearing a few of rumours that there going to be updating the Hightower in spring 19, now I have an OG and tempted to buy an LT but donít want to get 9 months down the line to see a new version come out. Anyone eles heard any rumours ?

Cheers

SS Pusher Man
    9 months is an eternity....if you wanna new bike, buy one. Waiting almost a year for something that may or may not come to fruition is a waste. Iíd rather be riding my new bike for the next year.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Yes I have heard multiple rumors of new bikes. Something supposedly released around Sea Otter (Bronson or HT/LT) and another new bike later in the year (Bronson or HT/LT). Bronson is the oldest bike in their lineup right now I believe so it makes sense that they would release that first, but 29 and especially long travel 29's are hot right now so they may move that up. Will be interesting to see if the new bikes use the old style suspension design similar to the existing HT/Bronson or if they go to the new linkage like the Nomad. My guess is that the Bronson and HTLT replacements will get the linkage while the standard HT gets the older setup.

No matter how you look at it, all is speculation right now unless you are either a factory rider or work in their development program. The current LT is an amazing bike and I think they will go toward the Capra 29 end of the spectrum with the replacement. If that is what you want then wait, but if you like the flexibility of the current platform buy it now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Lots to think about, cheers salespunk.

The rumour was there were using the old nomad frame but as you say until it comes out.....

Itís very easy to keep buying new models but especially here in uk the 2nd market is rubbish so can easily cost you 2k every time you change a bike.

Iíll be patient this time

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Santa Cruz's Hightower LT currently doesn't use metric spacing, but the RockShox Super Deluxe is only available in metric sizes. Hmmm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It might be a optical illusion but that linkage looks different where the shock mounts to it, the tab where the shock mounts does not seem anywhere near as big as on the LT. I think its fitted with a 210x55 metric Super Deluxe shock and a different linkage.
    Last edited by Rick Draper; 02-13-2018 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Yes I have heard multiple rumors of new bikes. Something supposedly released around Sea Otter (Bronson or HT/LT) and another new bike later in the year (Bronson or HT/LT). Bronson is the oldest bike in their lineup right now I believe so it makes sense that they would release that first, but 29 and especially long travel 29's are hot right now so they may move that up. Will be interesting to see if the new bikes use the old style suspension design similar to the existing HT/Bronson or if they go to the new linkage like the Nomad. My guess is that the Bronson and HTLT replacements will get the linkage while the standard HT gets the older setup.

No matter how you look at it, all is speculation right now unless you are either a factory rider or work in their development program. The current LT is an amazing bike and I think they will go toward the Capra 29 end of the spectrum with the replacement. If that is what you want then wait, but if you like the flexibility of the current platform buy it now.
    Would they do a refresh/update to the HTLT when they just released it five months ago? I am a little new to the MTB world and how the manufacturers work, but it seems like it would make sense to refresh/update an older bike instead of a recently released bike. Unless there is something glaringly wrong with the HTLT that needed to be fixed.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The LT shares the same front triangle as the regular HT so it seems to me that it is just an interim measure until they release the final version.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The LT shares the same front triangle as the regular HT so it seems to me that it is just an interim measure until they release the final version.
    But didn't they do something similar with the Tallboy LT? That stuck around for three years or so and then became the Hightower correct?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFarris View Post
    But didn't they do something similar with the Tallboy LT? That stuck around for three years or so and then became the Hightower correct?
    Tallboy LT was a complete new model and didn't share any parts.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Tallboy LT was a complete new model and didn't share any parts.
    Ah, okay. Thank you for the clarification.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFarris View Post
    Would they do a refresh/update to the HTLT when they just released it five months ago? I am a little new to the MTB world and how the manufacturers work, but it seems like it would make sense to refresh/update an older bike instead of a recently released bike. Unless there is something glaringly wrong with the HTLT that needed to be fixed.
    As @travisbickle said, the LT was just a new rear triangle which represented the shortest time to market as well as the lowest cost option. It allowed them to respond with a very good bike, but also not take away funds from developing the long travel 29 they really want to build. My guess is that we will see a 160 setup with the Nomad linkage and updated Geo.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm surprised they don't have a replacement already. I'm sure it's their top priority as they have nothing to compete with Slash, Rallon, Wreck, Capra, Sentinel, etc...

As @travisbickle said, the LT was just a new rear triangle which represented the shortest time to market as well as the lowest cost option. It allowed them to respond with a very good bike, but also not take away funds from developing the long travel 29 they really want to build. My guess is that we will see a 160 setup with the Nomad linkage and updated Geo.
    +100
    It would be crazy for them to not introduce a nomad/v10 style LT ASAP. I think this is there number one priority, even if the new bronson should be the next new bike.

edit:
    And please give it a longer rear stays to go with the front center. The new bikes in XL and XXL don't handle right with the super short rears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I'm surprised they don't have a replacement already. I'm sure it's their top priority as they have nothing to compete with Slash, Rallon, Wreck, Capra, Sentinel, etc...
    Yes, can't believe they don't have a 29 heavy hitter to compete with those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I could see them rolling out a competitor to those bikes but I'm not sure it would be the Hightower. I think a huge part of the appeal for the HT and HTLT is they make great all-around bikes. I think it would make more sense for them to add a new model that's basically a Nomad 29er. Maybe consolidate the HT and HTLT into one 150mm bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Considering the number of HTLTs I keep seeing on the trails, I doubt SC is hurting much from missing a long travel 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    From what I have heard as well, they have been developing a LT 29er that is not a "Frankenbike" so to speak. It will replace the HTLT. Yes, as was stated, they quickly did some testing on the new rear triangle with the linkage and combined it with the Hightower front triangle. Because they have their own R&D carbon composite making capability in SC, they can quickly create parts for testing. The HTLT was a quick rush into a big growing segment they were not part of. So far it has paid off. I will say I was very pleased with the HTLT and the shock they chose for it.

There is new one on the way, could even happen this year, who knows, but the HTLT is so good go for it now and sell it later. Why wait? Tomorrow may never come. Besides, there will always be something new.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I could see them rolling out a competitor to those bikes but I'm not sure it would be the Hightower. I think a huge part of the appeal for the HT and HTLT is they make great all-around bikes. I think it would make more sense for them to add a new model that's basically a Nomad 29er. Maybe consolidate the HT and HTLT into one 150mm bike.
    I agree, it's not a Hightower unless they discontinue the old one but it makes sense to keep it for more of an all-around choice.

It could be a Nomad 9'er, maybe w/ 10mm less travel...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I don't know. When you have models like the Rallon that honestly are great enduro sleds but make for great all around bikes as well I think that is where they will aim. The two Hightowers are already there. They just need updated geos. A slacker head angle, more reach, and a steeper seat tube angle to offset that for climbing and the linkage and rear wouldn't even have to change. That said they'll probably also slightly improve the linkage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd be happy with either an aluminum HT or more competitive pricing to compete with other retailers switching to a direct/hybrid sales model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well thanks everyone for there thoughts but I cracked on Friday night and walked out the shop with a lt frame, been on it today and dam it feels amazing 👍

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Tallboy remains unchanged.
    Hightower and HTLT merge into one 140ish 29/27.5 do it all bike.
    Nomad 29er

I don't know what they'll do to the 5010/Bronson. I think those bikes are spot on for their intended purpose. I guess lots of you want even longer reach, but with the low seat tube's on SC bikes many can size up. I guess they have to make changes every few years just so the bike remains relevant in the eyes of the consumer. Maybe they'll merge those two models as well back into a Blur LT 140 bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I heard from a reputable source at an opposing nor cal brand that Santa Cruz will have 5 new bikes this year. They may have been over embellishing but there are a lot of bikes that need an update in the line up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    I don't know what they'll do to the 5010/Bronson. I think those bikes are spot on for their intended purpose. Maybe they'll merge those two models as well back into a Blur LT 140 bike.
    The deciding factor will be the sales of each model. If SC is selling enough Bronsons and 5010s to justify keeping them both going then I can't see why they wouldn't (albeit with revised geo changes). On the other hand, with short-mid travel 29ers (and 29ers in general) being so popular, if the combined Bronson/5010 sales are dropping I could easily see them being merged into a 140mm long-low-slack fun bike for those who like the smaller wheels and don't want/need a Nomad.
    I think you're right about the big-wheel bikes though, Tallboy stays the same, HT sits in that mid-travel spot relatively unchanged, and HTLT is replaced by something new entirely with Nomad-style suspension and 150-160mm rear travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    Tallboy remains unchanged.
    Hightower and HTLT merge into one 140ish 29/27.5 do it all bike.
    Nomad 29er

I don't know what they'll do to the 5010/Bronson. I think those bikes are spot on for their intended purpose. I guess lots of you want even longer reach, but with the low seat tube's on SC bikes many can size up. I guess they have to make changes every few years just so the bike remains relevant in the eyes of the consumer. Maybe they'll merge those two models as well back into a Blur LT 140 bike.
    If they stick with the current methodology

Nomad 275/170
    LT Replacement 29/160
    Bronson 275/150
    HT 29/140
    5010 275/130
    Tallboy 29/120

SC has a hole right now at the 160/True Enduro race bike spot. HTLT is a great do it all trail bike, but it is not an EWS weapon in stock form. If you slack it out the SA gets too slack and you end up using more energy on the steep technical climbs.

I believe that the LT replacement and the Bronson replacement will both receive the new linkage while everything else will stick with the current setup for weight purposes. I also think we will see the LT Reach grow to 460+ for a large, HA 65.5 or less and SA 75+

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I agree with Salespunk assessment. SC will eventually have 2 bikes (650b and 29er) for these 3 full suspension segments: long travel/enduro, mid travel/all mountain, and short travel/trail bikes. For hardtails, who knows, I'd guess the Chameleon sticks around and the 29er highball, I don't think I've ever seen a 650b highball in my life but maybe it sells well in other areas. V10 for DH, Stigmata and Jackal to round out the group.

mtbr member

The future Hightower

Enduro - Nomad/HTLT
    AM - Bronson/HT
    Trail - Solo/Tallboy
    XC - Chameleon/Highball
    Stigmata
    Jackal

The HTLT is a hack and will clearly be replaced quickly, but they already have their lineup this way. Other than the normal evolution of longer/slacker/linkage changes the only gap that is going to be interesting to see whether they fill is the XC market with either a short travel full suss or hard tail (i.e highball change).

Salespunk - from a number of people I know who own a N4 they rave about how well it pedals/climbs so I doubt SC share your view that they donít have a proper Enduro race bike (other than the 29er gap).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nathanbal; 02-19-2018 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    What bike is Ropelato racing on in 2018?
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Most likely the Nomad. All his videos and social feeds have shown him riding it since late last fall. He even did the one of the last national Enduro races back in the east last fall with it.

I'd be completely surprised at this point if he's on something else. The first EWS is what, 4 or 5 weeks away?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Enduro - Nomad/HTLT
    AM - Bronson/HT
    Trail - Solo/Tallboy
    XC - Chameleon/Hightower
    Stigmata
    Jackal

The HTLT is a hack and will clearly be replaced quickly, but they already have their lineup this way. Other than the normal evolution of longer/slacker/linkage changes the only gap that is going to be interesting to see whether they fill is the XC market with either a short travel full suss or hard tail (i.e highball change).

Salespunk - from a number of people I know who own a N4 they rave about how well it pedals/climbs so I doubt SC share your view that they donít have a proper Enduro race bike (other than the 29er gap).

Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Ropelato will be the outlier on the Nomad (yes this will be his race bike). Mark Scott, Iago Garay and even Ratboy were all on the HTLT for the Andes Pacifico as well as the entire EWS season last year. I do believe we will see a lot of these riders switch to the new Bronson when it is released.

Not saying it can't be done, but there are a lot of people in my riding group with both and the efficiency of the Nomad is not on par with the HTLT, nor should it be. I don't think the designers ever saw the new Nomad as a race bike, but instead as a 1 bike solution for people that ride Park and very steep rough trails regularly.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Not saying it can't be done, but there are a lot of people in my riding group with both and the efficiency of the Nomad is not on par with the HTLT, nor should it be.
    How much of that difference is due to the 29" wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    How much of that difference is due to the 29" wheels?
    Not sure to be honest, but in my riding I have never found a difference between 275 and 29. I had both for a while a rode them back to back I could not find any advantage vs the clock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Salespunk; 02-19-2018 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not sure to be honest, but in my rising I have never found a difference between 275 and 29. I had both for a while a rode them back to back I could not find any advantage vs the clock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I would think minimal advantage at best. With the Nomad being aimed at freeride that's where I would imagine the HT variants gain on it in efficiency.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Enduro - Nomad/HTLT
    AM - Bronson/HT
    Trail - Solo/Tallboy
    XC - Chameleon/Hightower
    Stigmata
    Jackal

-I think you have your Tallboy and Hightower switched around brother......

Also, hearing another bike beginning with a B in the works.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -I think you have your Tallboy and Hightower switched around brother......
    He's actually got HT next to Bronson in AM and Hightower next to Chameleon in XC. So yes, it's a puzzling list.

mtbr member
    I meant Highball !

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I revive this thread instead of raising new one. Looking for new bike for the 2019 season and with my height (192 cm) I am focused to HTLT. Now I am confused because the rumors says that the release of the bike will be on April and firs bike delivery to Europe (based on Bronson experiences) we could expect in late June. Now I am facing to decision if buy the current one, or wait for the new. Now I am riding the 26" hardtail bike for local trail. Any new rumors or information regarding the new Hightower?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Who knows Hejsa!

I reckon nathanbals speculation is solid though:
    - New HTLT which will be updated geo (a bit longer, steeper STA, a little slacker) with the shock on the lower linkage like the new Nomad/Bronson for a better leverage curve
    - Original HT geo will be tweaked in line with current trends and with a bit more room in the rear triangle for wider rubber, remaining as a 27+/29 Swiss army knife - XC, AM and all day adventurer
    - Imagine they'll both go metric shocks too

All that said, the current models are still awesome bikes - I wouldn't hesitate to grab one if the price was right. Better to be riding in the present than dreaming of a future bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hejsa View Post
    I revive this thread instead of raising new one. Looking for new bike for the 2019 season and with my height (192 cm) I am focused to HTLT. Now I am confused because the rumors says that the release of the bike will be on April and firs bike delivery to Europe (based on Bronson experiences) we could expect in late June. Now I am facing to decision if buy the current one, or wait for the new. Now I am riding the 26" hardtail bike for local trail. Any new rumors or information regarding the new Hightower?
    If you're on a 26 hardtail it seems you keep a bike for years of good riding.
    You'll keep your new bike a long time.
    Ride your current bike until the new model comes out.
    Get that.
    Last edited by eb1888; 11-20-2018 at 08:14 AM.

The New New Hightower LT might not be the bike you actual want. I feel that it will by a 29er nomad. In other words a super plush, plow threw everything park style bike. VPP4 gives up some of the pop for plow. I have a buddy with a Hightower and Nomad 4. He only rides the Nomad on shuttle days as it's too much bike for trail riding. He had the Nomad 2 and 3 and they where his favorite bikes.

If your going to be riding up and over a current generation will probably suit you better. Bikes are getting super focused and the new Hightower is going to be in the big bike category with the Pivot firebird 29, Evil wreckoning and YT Capra 29.

Bikes like the Ripmo, SB150 and current Hightower still fit into the top of the trail bike category.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    The New New Hightower LT might not be the bike you actual want.
    Yeah, I don't understand why people are holding out for a new HTLT when they don't even know what it will be and there's probably something similar already on the market that will fit their needs. If it's just for the novelty of having the 'latest and greatest'...the novelty fades very quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hi all, thank you for your advices. Actually for lift riding I have a DH bike 27,5 (Propain rage in carbon) so thats why I focusing into 150mm travel bike that suits my local mountain need. In my short list were as well FOXY r29 (good bike, but not like the suspension and tire clearance) and Devinci spartan (maybe to much travel for me and size TT 636mm is issue as well). But the hightower meets all my needs (just the seat angle could be more steeper for mi height). I will consider it again and maybe buy current model. Thank you again for your advices

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's highly likely SC updates their entire 29er lineup July 2019.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    It's highly likely SC updates their entire 29er lineup July 2019.
    Thanks for info, thus when will be released in july it is clear to buy current HTLT. Winter is comming here in central europe, so I will ride my hardtail and wait till January if something SC moves and then will decide to delivery about March.

mtbr member
    I doubt they will wait until July. They typically have a release in Spring and that would make the most sense for the Hightower/LT release.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The updated Hightower will be the bike in SC line to compete with Yeti SB150. Expect the usual staff - longer reach, slacker ha, steeper sta.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    My bet is the release around Sea otter and then first bikes in europe 10 weeks later - end of June

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, I don't understand why people are holding out for a new HTLT when they don't even know what it will be and there's probably something similar already on the market that will fit their needs. If it's just for the novelty of having the 'latest and greatest'...the novelty fades very quickly.

Waiting can give you the chance to get a great deal on the "outgoing model" and see if the future model is a must have.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    My bet is the release around Sea otter and then first bikes in europe 10 weeks later - end of June

-This is probably a pretty safe bet Hejsa!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hey Hejsa

As you probably know from the spartan Thread I am in the same boat. As the new SC HTLT will undoubtely be a killer bike, I am not willing to wait that Long. I want an Enduro race bike by beginning of next season. If you wait till they release the new bike in spring, you probably wont get it until the end of the season...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hi Foxy, yeah you right, I am now on the market and deciding about new bike so in the same boat like you. I have my time to decide till the second mid of January so I will see what will happen if SC will surprise us. the Spartan looks like good and sufficient alternative

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...z-bronson.html

PB is doing a 2019 bike "field test" of various categories. If you watch the Bronson review they elude to a 29" version of the Bronson coming in the future. No specific date unfortuantely...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi Foxy, yeah you right, I am now on the market and deciding about new bike so in the same boat like you. I have my time to decide till the second mid of January so I will see what will happen if SC will surprise us. the Spartan looks like good and sufficient alternative
    To be honest, if I already had an (might as well older) Endurobike, I would wait to see what SC brings out. But I have just received a 2019 Trek Remedy frame as a swap for my warranty case of my slash 2015. So I built it up as a long legged trail bike that I don't want to race. Its a great allrounder but I don't think its up there with the big boys considering the downs. So that's why I want a bike to race on for next season and season starts in april in my area.

If I wouldn't be in that "situation" I would wait. But I am not, so that's why I probably will go with the Spartan or the Sb150 and order by the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...z-bronson.html

PB is doing a 2019 bike "field test" of various categories. If you watch the Bronson review they elude to a 29" version of the Bronson coming in the future. No specific date unfortuantely...
    I don't think they know anything more than we do. Just that everyone expects the HTLT redesign to come out next year with the new suspension layout.

mtbr member
    I don't think they know anything more than we do. Just that everyone expects the HTLT redesign to come out next year with the new suspension layout.
    This.

Everyone wants to see SC create a 29er Enduro bike with the lower link V10 design. The Nomad works so well but for so many their race bike must be on 29" rolling stock so Nomad is not considered. I'm certainly in that boat. If I decide to stop racing Enduro then I'd definitely buy a 27.5 bike as it would be fun to go back just to mix things up but 29 is undeniably faster for my terrain and body size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Everyone wants to see SC create a 29er Enduro bike with the lower link V10 design.
    from this article about the Bronson and 5010 v3:

The future Hightower-screen-shot-2018-12-05-2.01.43-pm.png

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know a guy who works for Santa Cruz and he couldnt tell me much other than there will be new models released. People there are pretty good with keeping their mouth shut over there.

Hoping their new 29er will give the sb150 a run for its money.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithr1 View Post
    I know a guy who works for Santa Cruz and he couldnt tell me much other than there will be new models released. People there are pretty good with keeping their mouth shut over there.

Hoping their new 29er will give the sb150 a run for its money.
    If itís half as good as the Bronson, it will kick complete ass. The Bronson rear end is amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Patiently waiting on this bike.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hoping for the HTLT and HT to separate, give me a HT to go against the Evil Offering, Yeti SB130, etc... and a HTLT replacement to go against the SB150, Ripmo, etc... basically keep the HT a trail bike and go full enduro on the LT.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I think youíll get your wish.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    I think youíll get your wish.
    Iíll bite. Do you have any real info or is it just based on wishful thinking like the rest of us?

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    They have two models now. I donít see them getting out of the huge mid-travel 29 category if they update the LT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    My guess is it will be like when they replaced the TBLT. The TB stayed similar and the TBLT was replaced with a new model. Iíd guess the HT stays a mid travel bike and the HTLT gets replaced with a new model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    They have two models now. I donít see them getting out of the huge mid-travel 29 category if they update the LT.
    Of course not. As Salespunk suggested earlier, looking at the 27.5 line-up it would make sense if the 29ers went something like;
    XC 100mm travel Blur,
    light trail/XC 120mm Tallboy,
    trail/AM 140mm Hightower,
    enduro/AM 160mm "Nomad-29er".

Either that or the Tallboy will get bumped up to a 125-130mm all-rounder and the Hightower will go up to 150mm as the enduro race bike/heavy duty trail/AM, but only if they don't feel there's enough of a market for three trail/AM/enduro 29ers (plus the XC bike). Which I think is pretty unlikely as I'm guessing their 29ers in that category will be every bit as popular as the 27.5s, if not more, and there's three of them, so...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I hope the TB does not faint too much travel. They did this with the Trek fuel and it felt to be too much bike.

Maybe an update to stiffen the rear (like other bikes have gotten) and a bump to 115-120 rear and 130 front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I hope the TB does not faint too much travel. They did this with the Trek fuel and it felt to be too much bike...
    Agree with that. '16 FEX was great. '17+ too low and slack for my preferences (and dopey knock block). I like the current TB3 too. Do not want it go the way everything else is going.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Agree with that. '16 FEX was great. '17+ too low and slack for my preferences (and dopey knock block). I like the current TB3 too. Do not want it go the way everything else is going.
    I really got to see and ride the evolution of the Fuel. I had a 2011 EX8, 2014 EX8, 2017 EX9. The 2017 is a really stout bike. It was just too AM feeling for me. After owning a Rip 9 2014, the fuel just did not pedal how I liked. The TB 3 has all my boxes checked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Of course not. As Salespunk suggested earlier, looking at the 27.5 line-up it would make sense if the 29ers went something like;
    XC 100mm travel Blur,
    light trail/XC 120mm Tallboy,
    trail/AM 140mm Hightower,
    enduro/AM 160mm "Nomad-29er".

Either that or the Tallboy will get bumped up to a 125-130mm all-rounder and the Hightower will go up to 150mm as the enduro race bike/heavy duty trail/AM, but only if they don't feel there's enough of a market for three trail/AM/enduro 29ers (plus the XC bike). Which I think is pretty unlikely as I'm guessing their 29ers in that category will be every bit as popular as the 27.5s, if not more, and there's three of them, so...
    My thought is that the Tallboy and Hightower will be combined and there will be three 29ers to choose from.

100mm Blur for XC
    120/130 Tallboy/Hightower for trail
    150/160/170 Hightower LT for AM/Enduro.

mtbr member
    I'd hope that they go like this Blur @ 110 for XC racing, Tallboy @ 130 mm softer trails, Hightower @ 150 harder trails and this new 29" "nomad" @ 160-170 for enduro.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Leaving aside when Santa Cruz typically releases new bikes, think about what this hypothetical "Bronson/Nomad 29er" is for. An enduro race bike. The first event of the EWS for 2019 is March 24th, in Rotorua, NZ, the Giant Toa Enduro. So you figure they have to have it announced before then, because their riders will be on that new bike anyway and everyone will notice it. Sea Otter is a few weeks later, making it arguably too late.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've been speculating about the new Hightower for a while. I can't wait to upgrade to the newer design.

It's a no brainer that the next Hightower LT will resemble the linkage on the Bronson and Nomad. I bet the standard Hightower will get a little travel bump to 140 mm and will essentially be redesigned to be a 29er 5010.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Leaving aside when Santa Cruz typically releases new bikes, think about what this hypothetical "Bronson/Nomad 29er" is for. An enduro race bike. The first event of the EWS for 2019 is March 24th, in Rotorua, NZ, the Giant Toa Enduro. So you figure they have to have it announced before then, because their riders will be on that new bike anyway and everyone will notice it. Sea Otter is a few weeks later, making it arguably too late.
    The racers could be on the bike before it's officially released like the V10. Or maybe not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Super boost plus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I like your idea. There is bet in another thread that the release date will be in the Andreas Pacifico 18-24 Feb. The race is supported by SC and is good opportunity to show new bike in action. This idea is as well aligned with yours

mtbr member
    Is it too much to ask from SC, that they follow suit to some of the other companies and offer some type of a high end, aluminum frame build for shredding hard? ie...Limited YT Capra, Stumpy Evo....

Not sure if we'll ever see SC do this, but it sure would be nice.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I bet the standard Hightower will get a little travel bump to 140 mm and will essentially be redesigned to be a 29er 5010.
    Isn't that more the Tallboys sorta role, especially now with the Blur to cater to the XC crowd? Hightower seems more like a 29er Bronson to me.

mtbr member
    Here's current models and rear travel, from largest to smallest rear travel:

Model Ė Rear travel
    Nomad Ė 170mm
    Bronson & HTLT Ė 150mm
    Hightower ó 135mm
    5010 ó 130mm
    Tallboy ó 110mm
    Blur ó 100mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's current models and rear travel, from largest to smallest rear travel:

Model Ė Rear travel
    Nomad Ė 170mm
    Bronson & HTLT Ė 150mm
    Hightower ó 135mm
    5010 ó 130mm
    Tallboy ó 110mm
    Blur ó 100mm
    From what I've read, the blur is so capable it means the tallboy can now become less XC oriented. I would expect the new Tallboy to be ~120mm of rear wheels travel (fitting 120-140mm forks) and then the Hightower and HTLT merge into one beast, with nomad linkage, that picks up where the tallboy leaves off. The sister bike to the Bronson. And if there's a 29er with 170mm rear like the nomad it better be called the Bullet!

mtbr member
    My frame snapped other day and while going through warranty process, I was hinted that there are new stuff coming in the spring, so I will be patiently waiting... It wont be easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by themanro View Post
    My frame snapped other day and while going through warranty process, I was hinted that there are new stuff coming in the spring, so I will be patiently waiting... It wont be easy.
    Oohh well that's interesting. I would certainly hold out for a few more months for a "new" replacement.

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Just curious, did SC give you an option of waiting for the new frame or are they replacing yours with a current gen HTLT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwo View Post
    Just curious, did SC give you an option of waiting for the new frame or are they replacing yours with a current gen HTLT?
    Option to wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is cool of them. Should be a good bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Did they give you any indication as to how long the wait would be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoTheo View Post
    Did they give you any indication as to how long the wait would be?
    Spring. I'd go by EWS calendar. Sometime in March perhaps, before the first race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another reason to buy SC - been hearing random issues with Yeti's 130/150 (bushing play, swingarm flex) - the fact SC is giving you the warranty replacement option for the updated frame is pretty killer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Did they tell you if you'd be able to use your current shock on it? Or are you fine with buying a new shock?

I mainly ask because I have a 2019 and just bought an x2 shock, but if they update the linkage I wouldn't mind buying the new frame if I could use my x2 on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phclaw View Post
    Another reason to buy SC - been hearing random issues with Yeti's 130/150 (bushing play, swingarm flex)
    This is true...

And at $3,800 (frame only) for all that drama, nah... I think many people are waiting to see what SC has up their sleeve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phclaw View Post
    Another reason to buy SC - been hearing random issues with Yeti's 130/150 (bushing play, swingarm flex) - the fact SC is giving you the warranty replacement option for the updated frame is pretty killer.
    yeah we all know santa cruz doesnt have issues with the pivots

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    yeah we all know santa cruz doesnt have issues with the pivots
    Any info or just got sand in your gina cause you own a yeti?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Spring sounds promising, I can hear similar rumors from more and more sources by now. Think I will wait a bit more before I pull the trigger and buy a new steed then.
    Really hope new HTLT will be much more aggresive than it is now, think there is a good market for such super capable 29ers. Something like the Bronson on 29" (or even a bit closer to 29" Nomad) with even longer reach, steeper STA, capability to accept even bigger shocks like Float X2/DHX2, framesize-specific chainstay length and (I wish) those adjustable rear dropouts from the new V10 would be a dream. Just my two cents, if someone from Santa Cruz reads this

mtbr member
    They haven't. Thats a bit too early for that. I have a X2 as well. If the eye-to-eye changes or they go metric, you might be able to have fox swap out few parts to fit the new frame. Or I beleive you can pay SC to ship the frame with the shock it comes with.

Quote Originally Posted by afalts View Post
    Did they tell you if you'd be able to use your current shock on it? Or are you fine with buying a new shock?

I mainly ask because I have a 2019 and just bought an x2 shock, but if they update the linkage I wouldn't mind buying the new frame if I could use my x2 on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Any info or just got sand in your gina cause you own a yeti?
    read the blur thread, and my 5010 bearings had to be replaced in under a year while riding in dry socal

mtbr member
    It would be nice if the new HT had the geometry and travel close to the new YT Jeffsy. Aggressive trail/AM bike with 140-150mm front and rear travel. 66*-66.5* HTA. 78* STA. 450-460mm reach for Medium, 470-480mm Large.
    And the new HTLT (or whatever it will be named) 170-180mm front and rear travel. 64-65* HTA. 78* STA. Basically an aggressive enduro/freeride/bike park bike
    Longer CS for larger sizes (this will most likely not happen though)
    Both with lower pivot mounted shock.
    3rd bike could be revised Tallboy with 120mm rear travel and 130mm front.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 2 Days Ago at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    They haven't. Thats a bit too early for that. I have a X2 as well. If the eye-to-eye changes or they go metric, you might be able to have fox swap out few parts to fit the new frame. Or I beleive you can pay SC to ship the frame with the shock it comes with.
    Iím almost certain they will spec a metric shock on the new HT. They already have on all their new models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    It would be nice if the new HT had the geometry and travel close to the new YT Jeffsy. Aggressive trail/AM bike with 140-150mm front and rear travel. 66*-66.5* HTA. 78* STA. 450-460mm reach for Medium, 470-480mm Large.
    And the new HTLT (or whatever it will be named) 170-180mm front and rear travel. 64-65* HTA. 78* STA. Basically an aggressive enduro/freeride/bike park bike
    Longer CS for larger sizes (this will most likely not happen though)
    Both with lower pivot mounted shock.
    3rd bike could be revised Tallboy with 120mm rear travel and 130mm front.
    Yes please!!!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    read the blur thread, and my 5010 bearings had to be replaced in under a year while riding in dry socal
    Did you clean and repack your bearings at any stage or just wait until they were stuffed? Bearings will wear quickly if not maintained. Some bearings seem to miss the part where grease is applied to the balls so it pays to do regular repacking if you want them to last.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    2200 miles on my original Hightower bearings. Still smooth. Itís pays to do the occasional bearing maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast