The future Hightower - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    It does look like the Megatower when you go back to it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    Yup, it's weird that the pale rock has moved to the right, but the stick at the very bottom of the frame that is perpendicular, and the branch directly underneath the cranks are in the same spot. So it's a new photo (taken the exact same day ...) or someone crafty knew to move that one rock lol.
    Yep, and look at where the pale rock used to be. it looks like there is a clone of the short stick that is right below it, and now two of the same "short sticks" are stacked on top of each other.

Pretty sure this is a deep fake

Edit to add: Also this bike has the shuttle guard. Why would the trail bike have that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
    Yep, and look at where the pale rock used to be. it looks like there is a clone of the short stick that is right below it, and now two of the same "short sticks" are stacked on top of each other.

Pretty sure this is a deep fake

Edit to add: Also this bike has the shuttle guard. Why would the trail bike have that?
    Why would someone take the time to do all this ?

mtbr member
    I say fake. It also has a rubber grommet for the cable routing which the new models don’t have. Looks like a merge between HTLT and Megatower.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Why would someone take the time to do all this ?

Are you new to the internet? Trolls love this stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
    Are you new to the internet? Trolls love this stuff.
    True - lotta losers in life

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That pic is real. Only question, is it a Hightower or Tallboy. Looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeti Blue

Phil
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    That pic is real. Only question, is it a Hightower or Tallboy. Looks cool.

Tallboy will maintain an upper link driven suspension. If that picture is real, it’s a hightower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by asuprice View Post
    Tallboy will maintain an upper link driven suspension. If that picture is real, it’s a hightower.

I agree that if that picture is real, it’s of a Hightower. My confidence in that comes from the fact that it’s got a 36 on the front of it, not that it’s a lower link design.

A year ago, after the Bronson/5010 release, the TB getting the top tube mounted link would have been a safe bet. After the Mega came out this spring though, SCB’s lead engineer gave an interview in NSMB saying they were converting all their short travel rigs over to the lower link design as well. I have no idea whether to take that as more of a distant future thing, or if it could start real soon with the TB refresh, but either way, it’s not a given anymore.

mtbr member
    Are they the same adjustable drop out/chainstay length flip chip gadgets I can see?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Wouldn’t the HT eat into MT sales so soon?

Just think a better business model would be a TB redo - unless the TB is getting shelved like the Blur for awhile .

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Looks steep and slack but in reverse....steep HA and slack STA.

mtbr member
    Name:  1254947d1559594145t-future-hightower-santacruz_hightower-2020.jpg
Views: 4308
Size:  91.3 KB

We'll know it's real if the pic gets deleted.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    We'll know it's real if the pic gets deleted.
    We will ? Why

mtbr member
    We will ? Why

Standard on MTBR to delete pics or details if the bike has not been officially released.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by contra1970 View Post
    Not sure i like the baby blue!
    Looks incredible, is the photo legit though? With the megatower there were some subtle shots of the bike before it came out and 1 legit photo of the bike right before it was released and suddenly we have gone from pure speculation to what looks like an official photo. If its legit I like the way it looks, but I'm not holding my breath...

Would be nice if it means that the bike is released today then since a photo is out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Take a look at the new Bronson tho - same components and a full 1.5-2 lbs heavier than its predecessor. That thru shock design flat out needs reinforcement and adds weight to both the frame and longer rear shock swing links. I don't see a way around that... Does a Hightower really need that??? I'd much rather have a lighter poppier trail ripper with modern geometry than another plow bike like the Megatower or Bronson. I've already got a plow bike with my Canfield Balance. The benefits of the lower link don't justify the weight gain for what the HT is designed for IMHO. Plus I can boost more air on a lighter framed bike.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Good points, I didn't realize that. One disadvantage with the old link is that when I rode the HTLT it was kind of harsh on the minor bumps but plush on the big stuff, so the new link should make everything a bit smoother. Of course I didn't notice that problem on the regular hightower so who knows? Also, one video on youtube rode the HTLT and Megatower back to back and apparently climbed quicker with the megatower. Everything else between the two bikes was as expected though, and unless the weight it close there is an advantage for the old bike I think. If the new bike is under 30 pounds for the S build (current is in 28 range) and reviews are good then i'll probably hop on the new one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was expecting the picture to be deleted by now...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxone View Post
    I was expecting the picture to be deleted by now...
    No reason for them to delete it if it's a fake... looks like a Megatower chainstay to me.

I see no reason the HT should have a flip chip in the rear dropout, I would imagine that would stay exclusive to the Megatower... at least for now.

but we'll see ...
    2020 Hightower V2 (soon)
    2019 Stumpjumper (stolen)
    2018 Hightower V1 (loaner)
    2017 Spark 120mm (sold)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pic is gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Pic is gone.
    I still see here on page 7 and the first post on page 6... ?
    2020 Hightower V2 (soon)
    2017 Spark 120mm (sold)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For some reason I dont see it on my Dell laptop but I can see
    it on my Ipad.
    Anyway, it looks like a fake to me. Looks like a photo shopped Bronson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Good points, I didn't realize that. One disadvantage with the old link is that when I rode the HTLT it was kind of harsh on the minor bumps but plush on the big stuff, so the new link should make everything a bit smoother. Of course I didn't notice that problem on the regular hightower so who knows? Also, one video on youtube rode the HTLT and Megatower back to back and apparently climbed quicker with the megatower. Everything else between the two bikes was as expected though, and unless the weight it close there is an advantage for the old bike I think. If the new bike is under 30 pounds for the S build (current is in 28 range) and reviews are good then i'll probably hop on the new one.
    My MT climbs better than my HTLT did no question. The HTLT probably would have the advantage on really flat trails and maybe out of the saddle pedaling...but neither are ideal for that type of riding anyway. My bet is the new HT with a 150mm fork will be more capable than the HTLT both up and down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I’m calling fake on the blue bike.

A couple of observations:

The BB is almost inline the axles, i.e. the bike appears to be running little to no BB drop. The BB drop on the MT is clearly observable from its photo on the SC website. A shorter travel bike is likely to run a greater BB drop than the MT. If you look at the current HT’s photo on the SC website the BB drop is even clearer. I doubt that SC would be releasing a ~140mm 29er with almost no BB drop.

The stick across the rear tire between ‘Minion’ and ‘DHR’ is in the exact same position as on the green MT on the SC website (it’s not there for the black MT).

Would Contra1970 care to divulge where the picture came from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If you zoom in on the forward shock mount, you can see the flaws in the photoshop. The eyelet is not centered.

The other observation someone made was the presence of cableway grommets, new designs from santa cruz do not use them (bronson, mega, etc)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    not an SC guy, so apologize if i come off like a troll, but what's the appeal of a hightower that looks just like a Megatower? Why not just go MT? is there a presumption the HT will pedal better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    not an SC guy, so apologize if i come off like a troll, but what's the appeal of a hightower that looks just like a Megatower? Why not just go MT? is there a presumption the HT will pedal better?
    Hightower will be a mid travel trail bike. Megatower is definitely an enduro bike. The appeal isn't that it looks like a Megatower. Yeah, it would be nice if they had a bit more vareity looks wise but that's pretty common across the industry. I can't tell the difference between a Jeffsy and a Capra or a SB130 and a SB150 other than the amount of travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What do you ride Matt? Who do you think makes best bikes ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    we already had a PM conversation a week ago - i gave you my opinions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I can't tell the difference between a Jeffsy and a Capra or a SB130 and a SB150 other than the amount of travel.
    Same for me with the Nomad and Bronson, aside from colors. Even then I'm a little fuzzy on the low-key matte color ways for the two models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Supah Dave View Post
    If you zoom in on the forward shock mount, you can see the flaws in the photoshop. The eyelet is not centered.

The other observation someone made was the presence of cableway grommets, new designs from santa cruz do not use them (bronson, mega, etc)
    At first I thought all the folks in here looking at sticks and stones were conspiracy theorists. Looking for proof that the moon landings were fake or something.

But I’ve been swayed. First, the mechanical XX1 instead of AXS seems like an unlikely spec. Second, the rubber grommet is super suspect. And then lastly, this front shock mount detail is the final piece of evidence for me.

This thing is fake. Someone sure went to a lot of trouble for that. Pretty weird.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    we already had a PM conversation a week ago - i gave you my opinions.
    Asking what you ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is enough difference at the seat tube/down tube junction between the MT front triangle and this blue bike for me to think this is a legit photo. Though, I do acknowledge it's strange to see the rubber grommet on the cable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesher123 View Post
    No reason for them to delete it if it's a fake... looks like a Megatower chainstay to me.

I see no reason the HT should have a flip chip in the rear dropout, I would imagine that would stay exclusive to the Megatower... at least for now.

but we'll see ...
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchwagon View Post
    There is enough difference at the seat tube/down tube junction between the MT front triangle and this blue bike for me to think this is a legit photo. Though, I do acknowledge it's strange to see the rubber grommet on the cable.
    I'm torn, its a good photo but still seems fishy and the poster just dropped the photo here without saying anything. Not sure what shock is on it but it looks like the same shock as the megatower too, would they put that on a trail bike? IDK.

I'll believe that its legit once instagram photos start popping up of dudes on a new, unidentifiable SC bike.

Also, it feels like every company is making a trailbike in this color now, see the Ripmo, ripley, and stumpjumper expert as an example. I'm wondering why SC would choose to jump on the bandwagon and not pick a different color if this is legit.
    My MT climbs better than my HTLT did no question. The HTLT probably would have the advantage on really flat trails and maybe out of the saddle pedaling...but neither are ideal for that type of riding anyway. My bet is the new HT with a 150mm fork will be more capable than the HTLT both up and down.
    So you are saying that the MT pedals similarly to the HTLT then? One concern for me is that the new linkage on the hightower may not pedal as well on the flat stuff as the old linkage, but that's great news if there isn't much difference. I've ridden both of those bikes and the current hightower but all at different times so it was hard for me to compare them.

mtbr member
    regarding the color, just not sure why SC would use what seems the same blue as the current HTLT, isn't that a sky blue as well? Just different color SC stickers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm torn, its a good photo but still seems fishy and the poster just dropped the photo here without saying anything. Not sure what shock is on it but it looks like the same shock as the megatower too, would they put that on a trail bike? IDK.

I'll believe that its legit once instagram photos start popping up of dudes on a new, unidentifiable SC bike.

Also, it feels like every company is making a trailbike in this color now, see the Ripmo, ripley, and stumpjumper expert as an example. I'm wondering why SC would choose to jump on the bandwagon and not pick a different color if this is legit.

So you are saying that the MT pedals similarly to the HTLT then? One concern for me is that the new linkage on the hightower may not pedal as well on the flat stuff as the old linkage, but that's great news if there isn't much difference. I've ridden both of those bikes and the current hightower but all at different times so it was hard for me to compare them.
    it will likely be more supple off the top. good for tech and feel, not as good for efficiency. lack of response off the top is arguably a weak point for top link driven "VPP" bikes. no free lunch. certainly curious on if they are planning to build in more anti-squat with the HT than the MT.

mtbr member

I think it is similar. The older top driven VVP design was more firm under pedaling and a bit more efficient. The steeper STA on the MT more than makes up for it on the climbs. The only time I miss the older design is when I'm standing up and mashing.

mtbr member
    Current HT and HTLT have upper link-driven shocks with mounting at the down tube, like the v3 (and earlier) Nomads, so a good point of comparison would be to look at how the v4 Nomad pedals against the v3. The answer is that it is much, much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    Yup, it's weird that the pale rock has moved to the right, but the stick at the very bottom of the frame that is perpendicular, and the branch directly underneath the cranks are in the same spot. So it's a new photo (taken the exact same day ...) or someone crafty knew to move that one rock lol.
    Bingo... Look at the curved stick above the bark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The future Hightower-mt.png  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I think the moved rock is a good indication that it's faked too. Who ever did it thought they'd move something obvious so people would say "no the background is different" without paying too much attention. What are the odds of the bike and that curved stick being in exactly the same location for two different shoots...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSunday View Post
    Bingo... Look at the curved stick above the bark.
    Look where the rock was, that's what using the clone stamp/ content aware fill tools produce. Tues came and went, so onto the next rumor!
    5010 v1, @mikerides.mtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ha ha! This shit is entertaining! Keep up the good work guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    we all know that's exactly what it's going to look like though.

The future Hightower-302841.jpg

Waldmeister
    #metoo

XXL people usually don’t qualify for featherweight class. 😂

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    we all know that's exactly what it's going to look like though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	302841.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	1255287
    I'm liking the GEO on that one
    5010 v1, @mikerides.mtb

Waldmeister
    IMHO the HTA is .5° too steep on that one.

Does anyone know what they photoshopped out in the rear triangle?

mtbr member
    I agree with TBMaddux, and can confirm it as a HTLT owner who has demoed the MT and recently picked up an MT frame. The MT definitely pedals uphill better, just with the different geometry and better traction with the rear suspension. On flats it's a toss-up, I'd probably give the nod to the HTLT just because it's a svelter frame and therefore has a bit better acceleration. But that also holds the LT back on the serious downs versus the MT, which just eats up anything plus just feels way more settled in the turns, again with the better traction/tracking with the new suspension.
    The LT is still a great bike - it's fantastic as an aggressive trail bike. But the high linkage lineage for the longer travel bikes will end with it.
    I imagine, as most people here do, the new HT will be a lower-linkage 140/140 deal (much like Evil's Offering that can be over-forked), and will differentiate the 29" line like the 27.5" line. Tallboy/Hightower/Megatower for 29ers and 5010, Bronson and Nomad for the 27.5, with the Blur and V10 being the specialist outliers rounding out the brand's full suspension line-up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Just think a better business model would be a TB redo - unless the TB is getting shelved like the Blur for awhile.
    I haven't mentioned it because this is a Hightower thread, but there is another Tallboy coming out soon as well. From what I heard it's going to 120mm rear travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Or maybe, if the Mt is too much, just choose Ripmo + angleset headset -1 *

mtbr member
    ^^That's one of the three options I'm considering (along with the SB130 and the new HT if it ever comes along).

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    nothing?!? how long till dealers can start making orders? a week or so?

last I talked to lbs they were expecting mis june for orders...

wait is killing me!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    nothing?!? how long till dealers can start making orders? a week or so?

last I talked to lbs they were expecting mis june for orders...

wait is killing me!
    +1
    Ready to order and been watching this thread daily in hopes of an announcement. At least if SC announced it, folks could make a choice between ordering the current model or waiting a few weeks for the new one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    if theyre all going to look the same and use the same design, they should just use the naming convention that bontrager does with their tires; have a 1-5 based on aggressiveness. could even match it to avg travel.

for 29 - Hightower 5, 6 7, with 7 being the nomad.
    for 27.5 Bronson 5, 6, 7

too many models with too much overlap. nobody shops motocross bikes based on 12mm differences in travel or .5 degrees in head angle.

mtbr member
    they should probably start at 9 so they would go up to 11

mtbr member
    if theyre all going to look the same and use the same design, they should just use the naming convention that bontrager does with their tires; have a 1-5 based on aggressiveness. could even match it to avg travel.

for 29 - Hightower 5, 6 7, with 7 being the nomad.
    for 27.5 Bronson 5, 6, 7

too many models with too much overlap. nobody shops motocross bikes based on 12mm differences in travel or .5 degrees in head angle.
    Nobody has to pedal a motocross bike either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    130-130 - 75.6 STA

mtbr member

The future Hightower

130-130 - 75.6 STA

I hope not! where is this coming from? There would be no more tallboy!

mtbr member
    Should we call it Talltower or Highboy? Or Boy Tower?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    megaboy. power tower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    130-130 - 75.6 STA

Agreed, this info stands against the current info and doesn't make sense so I'm curious where this comes from. If you mean the new hightower will be 130/130, then the 120mm tallboy becomes kind of pointless, unless the next gen tallboy goes down in travel too. But if you mean the tallboy will be 130mm, then its also extremely similar to a 135 or future 140mm hightower, so also pointless. Probably a good bike, but it doesn't make sense for the SC lineup at this point in time.

mtbr member
    Agreed, this info stands against the current info and doesn't make sense so I'm curious where this comes from. If you mean the new hightower will be 130/130, then the 120mm tallboy becomes kind of pointless, unless the next gen tallboy goes down in travel too. But if you mean the tallboy will be 130mm, then its also extremely similar to a 135 or future 140mm hightower, so also pointless. Probably a good bike, but it doesn't make sense for the SC lineup at this point in time.
    The current info is nothing more than speculation.

mtbr member
    that’s what we all love to do! it’s coming very soon! I can’t wait to see what SC has to show us!!!

mtbr member
    New Hightower will be announced between the last week of June and first week of July.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    First time poster. Thanks for all the info everybody. I tried to buy a HTLT in early April, and LBS said that delivery would be in July. Then a few days later, delivery changed to “TBD.” I got a call last week that they wanted me to come in this Wednesday (6/12/19) to “discuss options.” They informed me that they are operating under a signed NDA, but that Santa Cruz typically releases new models in July, and they expected this year’s release to be consistent with that timeline.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    So much for that nda lol. Funny theyre doing that for what will just be a megatower lite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbend View Post
    First time poster. Thanks for all the info everybody. I tried to buy a HTLT in early April, and LBS said that delivery would be in July. Then a few days later, delivery changed to “TBD.” I got a call last week that they wanted me to come in this Wednesday (6/12/19) to “discuss options.” They informed me that they are operating under a signed NDA, but that Santa Cruz typically releases new models in July, and they expected this year’s release to be consistent with that timeline.
    You had to make a special trip to your LBS to be told they singed an NDA and bikes will be available in July?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Did you put $ down?

I Know the price is over the $4889 mark of last year ...
    5K plus

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Yes. I put down 50% of the HTLT pricing. Tempted by competitive cyclist, but I need an XXL frame, and have never seen that size frame discounted in last 12 mos. My understanding is that the current HT and HTLT platforms will no longer be available through LBS. Figured being loyal and exercising some patience will hopefully be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes. I put down 50% of the HTLT pricing. Tempted by competitive cyclist, but I need an XXL frame, and have never seen that size frame discounted in last 12 mos. My understanding is that the current HT and HTLT platforms will no longer be available through LBS. Figured being loyal and exercising some patience will hopefully be worth the wait.
    New XXL ..... can’t wait to see that. I’m on a 18 XXL Hightower and really really love this bike. Hope the new HT does not pedal as well for us Clyde’s , that way I won’t want to replace my 18 that is about to become a worthless sack of potatoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    You had to make a special trip to your LBS to be told they singed an NDA and bikes will be available in July?
    Pretty average in my house

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So you’re skipping new model for xxl HTLT ?

I also need an xxl I don’t think CC has any ..

My lbs had one and it was NX - @ almost 5k

No chance - I despise NX

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    So you’re skipping new model for xxl HTLT ?

I also need an xxl I don’t think CC has any ..

My lbs had one and it was NX - @ almost 5k

No chance - I despise NX

I’m waiting to see what is available. If there is a new HTLT available, I doubt it’ll be more than a new paint job. Can’t really imagine 29er models at 140, 150 and 160 travel. If the HT has a new suspension design similar to Nomad/Bronson/MT, I will probably buy that with the GX build (unless the 130-130 post was accurate). Struggling over reserve wheels, tempted because they’re less expensive with the build than aftermarket.

mtbr member
    dealer likely is getting info from SC mid week and will have all the info to show you by then!

isn’t reserve wheels $1k upgrade? doesn’t look that much less expensive than building aftermarket

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    dealer likely is getting info from SC mid week and will have all the info to show you by then!

isn’t reserve wheels $1k upgrade? doesn’t look that much less expensive than building aftermarket
    Under current pricing, Reserve upgrade is $1200. Aftermarket is $1600. Not a giant savings, but $400 is $400.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I’m waiting to see what is available. If there is a new HTLT available, I doubt it’ll be more than a new paint job. Can’t really imagine 29er models at 140, 150 and 160 travel. If the HT has a new suspension design similar to Nomad/Bronson/MT, I will probably buy that with the GX build (unless the 130-130 post was accurate). Struggling over reserve wheels, tempted because they’re less expensive with the build than aftermarket.
    No new HTLT - similar to Bronson / Nomad - exactly

mtbr member
    Under current pricing, Reserve upgrade is $1200. Aftermarket is $1600. Not a giant savings, but $400 is $400.
    but how much are the alloy wheels worth as a take off? also that’s assuming you pay retail for the wheels, doesn’t look like a good deal to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The anticipation intensifies... :O

So much for that nda lol. Funny theyre doing that for what will just be a megatower lite.
    At first I was annoyed that it was probably going to be a megatower lite, but now the more I ride my current XC/Trail 29er and with all the other feedback on the site so far about the lower link, etc., I am actually getting pretty excited about the new hightower. I basically do half downhill riding where a more enduro focused bike is definitely better and half trail where a shorter travel bike is proffered, so I can go either way. But as long as the new bike isn't too heavy I am sure its going to be amazing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Struggling over reserve wheels, tempted because they’re less expensive with the build than aftermarket.
    I've got a take on this: buy aftermarket Reserves if you're buying the S build.

Buying Reserves as part of the build is just a rim upgrade at whatever spec the bike is otherwise equipped with. DT Swiss 370 at the S build, DT 350 at the X01 level, maybe I9 Hydra at the XTR/XX1 level. So, at the S level, you're paying $1200 for some nice rims built around hubs that are low-end OE spec. They're just shy of garbage.

Buy the Reserves aftermarket for $1600, and you upgrade to DT 350s which are excellent workhorse hubs. You can recoup some of the price difference by selling the unused stock wheels, or just have a $400 set of backup wheels around, which may come in handy someday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    New Hightower will be announced between the last week of June and first week of July.
    My prediction, based on Santa Cruz release history, will be Tuesday July 2nd as a release date.

I’m ready to order :-)
    2020 Hightower V2 (soon)
    2017 Spark 120mm (sold)

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, there are no Hightower or Hightower LT available at Santa Cruz demo's being held at east coast location in the coming months. Megatower and Tallboy are available as are 5010, Bronson and some others.

This proves nothing though, does it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    For what it's worth, there are no Hightower or Hightower LT available at Santa Cruz demo's being held at east coast location in the coming months. Megatower and Tallboy are available as are 5010, Bronson and some others.

This proves nothing though, does it?
    not really,

They haven’t had the OG Hightower on their trucks since the LT came out, and now that the mega is out as the LT replacement, that’s what they have on the truck now

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_A View Post
    not really,

They haven’t had the OG Hightower on their trucks since the LT came out, and now that the mega is out as the LT replacement, that’s what they have on the truck now

Respectfully, the Megatower was not released as a replacement to the HTLT and Santa Cruz has never stated that (just a few confused journalists).

It was released as a brand new bike to fill the long travel Enduro 29’er spot that was so lacking in Santa Cruz’s lineup, and that the LT was “kinda” filling in for during the wait for the Megatower.

The new Hightower will have 140 mm travel rear with the lower link design , and will be designed for 140 - 160 forks. IT will replace both the OG HT and the HTLT as Santa Cruz’s proper mid travel 29’er bike. And it will be more capable than both the OG HT and the HTLT on the downs and faster on the ups....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    Respectfully, the Megatower was not released as a replacement to the HTLT and Santa Cruz has never stated that (just a few confused journalists).

It was released as a brand new bike to fill the long travel Enduro 29’er spot that was so lacking in Santa Cruz’s lineup, and that the LT was “kinda” filling in for during the wait for the Megatower.
    Agreed, that’s what I meant, the LT was their “long travel” bike that they didn’t have produced yet, the megatower fills that role now

mtbr member

The new Hightower will have 140 mm travel rear with the lower link design , and will be designed for 140 - 160 forks. IT will replace both the OG HT and the HTLT as Santa Cruz’s proper mid travel 29’er bike. And it will be more capable than both the OG HT and the HTLT on the downs and faster on the ups....
    Where did you get this info? Source?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019

Itd be amazing if the HT had some kind of flip chip that allowed for 150mm rear. The ultimate all in one shred sled

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Where did you get this info? Source?

Check his post history and the first two letters of his name.

mtbr member
    Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure it'll be a bit of a step up from my v1 TB.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

....and 76 seat tube angle?

Regards

old school...
    Reserve upgrade is rims only. Hubs come from the build kit. Notice that with S-kit hubs are DT370s. Aftermarket wheels are complete wheels, rims and hubs. Wheel builds starting from DT350 hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by miqu View Post
    Reserve upgrade is rims only. Hubs come from the build kit. Notice that with S-kit hubs are DT370s. Aftermarket wheels are complete wheels, rims and hubs. Wheel builds starting from DT350 hubs.
    Thank you! Would be very disappointed to find D370s on the upgraded wheels.

mtbr member
    Check his post history and the first two letters of his name.
    Not sure what you are hinting at.
    Non of his older post indicate his information is any more reliable than anyone else's here...
    First two letters of his name only tells me he might be a SC fan
    I am not saying he is wrong, I am just asking where did he get the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Oh I wish I could say something!

mtbr member
    so a couple more days and the dealers will have the info?!?! gotta get back there this week!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

The future Hightower

Dealers have it. Without a shadow of a doubt, they now have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Demo truck yesterday had NO hightowers... hmmm btw why do they only have ONE medium of each bike?
    5010 v1, @mikerides.mtb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Someone has to know something, can share something, please for the love of...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bremmick View Post
    Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman3371 View Post
    Dealers have it. Without a shadow of a doubt, they now have it.
    So we're all dying to know.. what are the colors??!

mtbr member
    My checking account is ready! :-D

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

The future Hightower

I can tell you this..

I have a detail email with all the specs.

With that being said... I am waiting on a frame only. I want to build it. I am tight with my shop and the last thing I want to do is break their trust.

7/2 - take that date to the bank.

mtbr member
    As in the big reveal is Tuesday, July 2nd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bremmick View Post
    see above

mtbr member
    I can tell you this..

With that being said... I am waiting on a frame only. I want to build it. I am tight with my shop and the last thing I want to do is break their trust.

This man speaks the truth, I can confirm from reliable sources. The specs, colors etc have already been seen by dealers which had an option to buy in early. Some did, some didn't, but everyone agrees it will be worth the wait.

I'm also debating between new frame-up build vs prebuilt vs saving $$$ and buying the current gen.

We can also count on seeing an updated Tallboy.

mtbr member
    I'm also doing a frame up build! can anyone confirm it's a 44/42 fork offset? Seems like it's already confirmed you can run 140-160, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a short offset but want to confirm before I pull the trigger on a fork!

gloss and matte color?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's been awhile since I've done a frame build up. Pretty sure I just sticker shocked myself. Now to determine if the C versus CC frame is worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The SC colors have been asinine of late ...
    Nobody ever wished for “ mustard yellow “

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchris View Post
    It's been awhile since I've done a frame build up. Pretty sure I just sticker shocked myself. Now to determine if the C versus CC frame is worth it.
    They don't offer the C in frame only. CC is your only option if you just want the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I just want to know what colors will be available now, the green on the megatower is pretty awesome and based on current SC bikes, I am guessing there will be one neutral grey/white/black/etc. color option and one much more colorful option.

Apparently the staff at SC disagree and think all the color options are awesome, based on my interaction at a demo bike event. Admittedly a lot of the colors have grown on me, like that clay color on the last hightower lt version, but some other colors have been questionable, especially that super bright pink color that was available on one of the men's bikes a few years back. Sadly, Mustard yellow has failed to grow on me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just want to know what colors will be available now, the green on the megatower is pretty awesome and based on current SC bikes, I am guessing there will be one neutral grey/white/black/etc. color option and one much more colorful option.

Apparently the staff at SC disagree and think all the color options are awesome, based on my interaction at a demo bike event. Admittedly a lot of the colors have grown on me, like that clay color on the last hightower lt version, but some other colors have been questionable, especially that super bright pink color that was available on one of the men's bikes a few years back. Sadly, Mustard yellow has failed to grow on me...
    Imo I wouldn’t take a green MT over an older cool color HT... I think it looks ridiculous

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    They don't offer the C in frame only. CC is your only option if you just want the frame.
    Yeah I meant GX level build with C frame and swap out stuff I don’t want versus buying a CC frame and build up from there.

mtbr member
    short offset? anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Imo I wouldn’t take a green MT over an older cool color HT... I think it looks ridiculous

Ridiculous is my middle name! I guess that leaves more green bikes for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    short offset? anyone?
    Virtually guaranteed. An SCB employee told me last year that they made a running change for MY2019 to spec all their 29ers with short offset forks. I’m not sure if that was meant literally to include the Highball and the Blur, or if she was just talking about trail bikes. Regardless, they’ve already moved to 44mm offset, so I can’t imagine why they’d go back at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

^^^That’s a wrong opinion^^^

The mustard is dope. I like it better on the stigmata with white decals more than I like it with the slate blue on the Hightower, but I like it in both cases.

And the forest service green on the Mega? Super rad.

mtbr member
    Virtually guaranteed. An SCB employee told me last year that they made a running change for MY2019 to spec all their 29ers with short offset forks. I’m not sure if that was meant literally to include the Highball and the Blur, or if she was just talking about trail bikes. Regardless, they’ve already moved to 44mm offset, so I can’t imagine why they’d go back at this point.
    that’s what I’m thinking as I’m about to pull the trigger on a lyrik 42mm! btw, isn't the blur coming with a 44mm offset already?
    Last edited by mfa81; 1 Week Ago at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member

The mustard is dope. I like it better on the stigmata with white decals more than I like it with the slate blue on the Hightower, but I like it in both cases.

agree! I really like the mega colors, would prefer some colored santa cruz sticker on the black frame but it’s not the end of the world!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Agree the Stigmata is beauty

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm also doing a frame up build! can anyone confirm it's a 44/42 fork offset? Seems like it's already confirmed you can run 140-160, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a short offset but want to confirm before I pull the trigger on a fork!

gloss and matte color?
    fork offset isn't as dependent on frame design as they'd have you think. really depends on the trails you ride and the feel you're looking for.

mtbr member

The future Hightower

fork offset isn't as dependent on frame design as they'd have you think. really depends on the trails you ride and the feel you're looking for.
    went ahead and pulled the trigger on a lyrik 42mm! now I just need the frame, small detail!
    Last edited by mfa81; 1 Week Ago at 04:01 AM.

mtbr member
    I can tell you this..

That's the date I predicted earlier.
    2020 Hightower V2 (soon)
    2017 Spark 120mm (sold)

used to be RipRoar
    So true, thats how Knolly markets it....

That said I got a PUSH Factory Fox 36 GRP2 44mm offset ACS3 Green spring lightly used I am willing to work a deal on.

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116961

mtbr member
    LBS still playing dumb with me... anything guys?!?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    LBS still playing dumb with me... anything guys?!?
    What are you trying to figure out that we don't already have a loose outline of? Maybe just try to be calm and patient, and respect the fact that your shop is honoring the commitment that they've made to a respected business partner.

mtbr member
    I'm okay with my LBS not sharing stuff, I'm not pushing I simply say "okay, I will be in touch" but like everybody else it's hard to be patient knowing the bike is about to be released, I pretty much have all the parts in the garage to build a frame except for a headset/bb/dropper... it's hard to stay calm! :-D

I guess they want to sell and I'm sure they will reach out to order as soon as they can!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    SC thinks highly of themselves : as the industry leader - the top carbon, lifetime warranty , etc
    Having lbs sign a NDA adds to that prestige.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I guess think of it as a kid waiting for Christmas and Santa to come, you know he's coming soon but you don't know what will come on that day.

It's sounding like Christmas in July will be July 2nd, which is just 3 weeks away! I hope to hear more about the bike before then but it sounds 99% true that a new hightower will be coming in the next few weeks (based on this thread, SC employees, and bike shops) so patience will pay off either way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I guess think of it as a kid waiting for Christmas and Santa to come, you know he's coming soon but you don't know what will come on that day.

It's sounding like Christmas in July will be July 2nd, which is just 3 weeks away! I hope to hear more about the bike before then but it sounds 99% true that a new hightower will be coming in the next few weeks (based on this thread, SC employees, and bike shops) so patience will pay off either way.
    And then another couple of weeks until the frame is actually ready to ship. I'm still waiting for my Megatower size L.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    SC thinks highly of themselves : as the industry leader - the top carbon, lifetime warranty , etc
    Having lbs sign a NDA adds to that prestige.

Embargoes and NDAs are standard operating procedure in the bike industry. It is by no means a Santa Cruz thing.

mtbr member
    FWIW, it's historically been very difficult to get a frame only from SC on new bikes for the first 3 months after release. The megatower has reinforced that. If you want this bike and you want to for sure, have it in your hands before october... then order a complete build.

Otherwise make sure you have lots of patience, and another bike to ride in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Embargoes and NDAs are standard operating procedure in the bike industry. It is by no means a Santa Cruz thing.
    Yes but I’ve been in trek dealers where I got every bit of info

mtbr member
    to be fair to the lbs I called them and texted, so I have not gone back to the shop! we have a SC demo this Saturday in town, I hope to find out aome info by then

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post
    And then another couple of weeks until the frame is actually ready to ship. I'm still waiting for my Megatower size L.
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    FWIW, it's historically been very difficult to get a frame only from SC on new bikes for the first 3 months after release. The megatower has reinforced that. If you want this bike and you want to for sure, have it in your hands before october... then order a complete build.

Otherwise make sure you have lots of patience, and another bike to ride in the meantime.
    This. I planned on getting one of the build kits and not a frame only option, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get a frame-only option for many months from now. I don't know how long it took for non-frame only megatowers to arrive after their announcement, but it seemed like there were plenty of riders on here who had them weeks after the bike was announced. If I could have a new Hightower delivered by mid-august i'd be pretty stoked.

As usual though, I will read all the pinkbike and the inevitable 10's of other reviews that come out on launch day before I buy the bike. I'm usually a late adopter for new tech but i've been holding on forever and am not willing to sink anymore money in repairs on my current bike, so i'm ready to order pretty soon. But I want to be objective and not just a SC fanboy who buys it because its a new SC, I want to make sure its actually a good bike with no glaring errors. The large SC megatower is probably the best fitting bike i've ever ridden so I have a lot of confidence that at least the fit will be good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

The future Hightower

X01 solid build

Last edited by Milkman3371; 5 Days Ago at 04:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    GX ordered

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You guys have ordered the bike already ?

mtbr member
    for those who ordered build any potential ETA on frame only? were you guys able to order one if tou wanted despite the longer wait?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    for those who ordered build any potential ETA on frame only? were you guys able to order one if tou wanted despite the longer wait?
    My order was vague. They already had down payment from HTLT attempt. LBS expects HTLT AND HT current platforms to no longer be available. We talked sizing and preferences but LBS honored NDA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What if you despise the colors ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    What if you despise the colors ?

I’ll pull the down payment and pick up a Ripmo. But I’m not really that worried about it

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I’ll pull the down payment and pick up a Ripmo. But I’m not really that worried about it

I’m guessing light blue & tan

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm guessing that pic we saw was real...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm guessing that pic we saw was real...

Then I hope the tan looks good

mtbr member
    would like a matte color but a matte tan doesn’t really seem it’s gonna look good

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My X01 is ordered. Decided against a frame.

Will build from there.

GX ordered

So is the new shimano xt drivetrain not an option? Or are you just mentioning the GX and XO1 names instead of S, etc. build because we don't know what the details are yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Was it possible to put down payment for the new Tallboy as well ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    This is the colors.

mtbr member
    Damn, I like neither. Honestly, those are almost deal breakers for me...
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Damn, I like neither. Honestly, those are almost deal breakers for me...
    They look good when you see the complete bike. At least to me.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Gloss or matt?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Then post the full pictures

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by foxone View Post
    Then post the full pictures
    You’ll have to be patient

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_rider View Post
    They look good when you see the complete bike. At least to me.
    We all have personal preferences. I don't think that either one of those colors represent what is considered as "temperate" such as black, grey or dark blue/red. To invest ~7k worth of money to a bike with a color you dislike...
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It’ll be the accent colors that make the colors for me. Wasn’t a fan of the brown HTLT, but the blue one could be cool with the right accent. However it looks like it’ll be the sky blue from the recent HTLT as you can see the corner of Z with what seems to be that color.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Desert and royal blue ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think the best looking bike SC has made recently is the White on Black Blur ... I also thought the 2019 Tallboy oxblood was sharp

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    So is the new shimano xt drivetrain not an option? Or are you just mentioning the GX and XO1 names instead of S, etc. build because we don't know what the details are yet?
    Correct. I didn’t look at spec sheets or anything. My preference is the “GX” or whatever the nicer build kit on the C frame is.

Basically conversation went like if in fact SC merged HTLT and HT, and has lower link, I want in.

mtbr member
    Desert and royal blue ?

Baby shait and pivot blue?
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That blue looks pretty awesome like the KC Royals hat blue

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    They look very like the original Nomad 4 colours: tan and blue.

mtbr member
    No matter what colors they release, people will complain about how bad the color choice was. Now if they only offered in pink on orange or clown barf or something actually weird then it's a valid point. Both of those colors are very normal though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    SC colorways are the Gap of bikes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The future Hightower-yard2018_cs_gap_spring_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    SC colorways are the Gap of bikes.
    You really hate SC don't you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You really hate SC don't you?
    No, pretty much indifferent. SC serves a great role in the market as an everyman's bike. I reserve my hate for Yeti

FWIW i think their minimalist colorway scheme is a good strategy for said market. There's nothing wrong with it at all - and this is from someone who loves the off the wall combos coming out of Intense, which most folks seem to dislike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No matter what colors they release, people will complain about how bad the color choice was. Now if they only offered in pink on orange or clown barf or something actually weird then it's a valid point. Both of those colors are very normal though.
    A matte hot pink bike would be kinda cool. Not gonna lie

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Did anyone see the new full review that pinkbike released on the megatower? Saying that a bike is "Stiff & Solid, But Not That Sensitive" in a bike review title seems to be as savage as you can get, doesn't seem like they loved the bike. Definitely makes me a little concerned about how the regular hightower will be with the new linkage. I think the criticisms of the megatower were mostly the same though as the initial impressions article, so I will probably know if the new SC is worth it on launch day.

The review is here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...ower-2019.html

edit: I forgot too, saying that the downhill felt like it deserved the name of "city of subdued excitement" doesn't exactly make me want to run out and buy the bike either. I rode the megatower though so I understand what the reviewer is getting at.
    This is the colors.
    <images cut due to size>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Baby shait and pivot blue?
    *Laughs in firebird 29* I see the pivot resemblance for sure. Neither color is my first choice but the blue will do.

Honestly I like the blue on the photoshopped bike a few pages back better.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchris View Post
    It’ll be the accent colors that make the colors for me.
    This too, would be great to know what accent colors will be there. The blue is probably too dark to have black graphics, so I wonder what color will go there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Also, to add to the above, most people seem to blame the issues with the megatower on the rockshox superdeluxe rear shock. I know the first year hightower also had rockshox instead of fox and one hightower owner I saw on the trail had swapped out his rockshox for fox and complained about the original shock.

Maybe then, the decision to get the new hightower should be: Has fox rear shock? Probably great. Has rockshox? Spend a bunch of $ to replace it or just buy a different bike.

Anyone agree/ disagree?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No, pretty much indifferent. SC serves a great role in the market as an everyman's bike.
    I would think Specialized and Trek are way more "everyman's bike" (whatever that term means anyway)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This too, would be great to know what accent colors will be there. The blue is probably too dark to have black graphics, so I wonder what color will go there.
    You can see just the slightest bit of the Z from the Santa Cruz logo in the pic of the blue. I think it looks white, but it's just such a sliver and so low resolution that it's hard to say for sure. Could also be a baby blue.

mtbr member
    Also, to add to the above, most people seem to blame the issues with the megatower on the rockshox superdeluxe rear shock. I know the first year hightower also had rockshox instead of fox and one hightower owner I saw on the trail had swapped out his rockshox for fox and complained about the original shock.

Maybe then, the decision to get the new hightower should be: Has fox rear shock? Probably great. Has rockshox? Spend a bunch of $ to replace it or just buy a different bike.

Anyone agree/ disagree?
    Totally agree and commented on that article myself. I found the Super Deluxe to be very unsupportive. It was either compliant and wallowed terribly or I could pump it up and get it kind of supportive and harsh. Running a bit over 30% sag it was actually super plush and would float through the rock gardens but would wallow and bottom out on 18" drops. I don't have much time on the X2 yet but it's a total 180 from the super deluxe. It's very supportive with no big dip in the middle of the stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Totally agree and commented on that article myself. I found the Super Deluxe to be very unsupportive. It was either compliant and wallowed terribly or I could pump it up and get it kind of supportive and harsh. Running a bit over 30% sag it was actually super plush and would float through the rock gardens but would wallow and bottom out on 18" drops. I don't have much time on the X2 yet but it's a total 180 from the super deluxe. It's very supportive with no big dip in the middle of the stroke.
    air can volume tuning is pretty universal. the Pinkbike article is pretty laughable really because they apparently didn't tune LSC bleed OR positive volume OR negative volume.

their inability to articulate the issue is really a huge issue for the average consumer that looks to outlets like that for solid reviews.

If I was Santa Cruz i'd be pissed, and apparently they are, because Kazimer is now saying in the comments "Well i didn't want to say too much because we're coming out with an in-depth tuning article". Yea. Because Santa Cruz is forcing you to do so.

There's nothing wrong with the shock or bike. These journalists just don't know what the fk they're doing. See: Chris Cocalis bikerumor interview.

mtbr member
    No, pretty much indifferent. SC serves a great role in the market as an everyman's bike. I reserve my hate for Yeti

FWIW i think their minimalist colorway scheme is a good strategy for said market. There's nothing wrong with it at all - and this is from someone who loves the off the wall combos coming out of Intense, which most folks seem to dislike.
    I'm indifferent to Intense which is why you don't see me posting anything in the Intense sub forum. I'm pretty sure Intense bikes are just for people who want to buy a new 4 year old Santa Cruz anyway. 2nd hand style and suspension design.

The future Hightower-s1600_fullsizerender_8.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    I would think Specialized and Trek are way more "everyman's bike" (whatever that term means anyway)
    nobody likes proprietary bullshit. Until the big three stop trying to differentiate themselves with all that proprietary garbage for the sake of being unique they can and will continue to intimidate the journeyman bike enthusiast.

people want simple, solid bikes with solid customer service that do everything pretty well. The Stumpjumper is a dog and the Trek looks like about five or six other brands out there (ironically) despite their theft of split pivot/ABP(TM), some knockblock(TM) garbage for a Straighshot(TM) downtube, and some opaque, blackbox references to damping tech supposedly co-developed with Penske that doesn't seem to hold up to actual mountainbiking for any acceptable period of time.

Joe Graney:
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en...pension-design

-We’ve been using VPP® suspension since 2001. Rather than contracting a series of kooky inventors to try to build ever more complex and wack-a-doo suspension designs or proprietary shocks so the Marketing department has something to talk about, we’ve stuck with what is an extremely versatile and high-performance mechanism.VPP® is designed to work with the best available technology from suspension manufacturers that will be supported long-term. It doesn’t require novelty shocks and hardware that offers dubious long-term support.

-Everyman's bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm indifferent to Intense which is why you don't see me posting anything in the Intense sub forum. I'm pretty sure Intense bikes are just for people who want to buy a new 4 year old Santa Cruz anyway. 2nd hand style and suspension design.

you have to be a fanboy to post in here is what it sounds like you're saying. all brands have their pros and cons and i appreciate all for what they are. your characterization of intense is far less charitable than my own of Santa Cruz, which leads me to believe you are easily triggered and/or lack comprehension.

i'm sorry.

mtbr member
    air can volume tuning is pretty universal. the Pinkbike article is pretty laughable really because they apparently didn't tune LSC bleed OR positive volume OR negative volume.

their inability to articulate the issue is really a huge issue for the average consumer that looks to outlets like that for solid reviews.

If I was Santa Cruz i'd be pissed, and apparently they are, because Kazimer is now saying in the comments "Well i didn't want to say too much because we're coming out with an in-depth tuning article". Yea. Because Santa Cruz is forcing you to do so.

There's nothing wrong with the shock or bike. These journalists just don't know what the fk they're doing. See: Chris Cocalis bikerumor interview.
    I'm not saying the Super Deluxe is a bad shock but it definitely wasn't working for me on the Megatower. I went through every combination of volume spacers (except the max), LSC from open to closed, pressures from 236-255 psi, etc. However, it was clear to me the problems we're due to the shock before I tried a different one. I agree it sounds like he either didn't bother to setup the shock well enough or doesn't realize it's a shock tuning and/or damper issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i agree that RS probably sets their stuff up OOB to be more parkinglot plush and it's less than ideal.

mtbr member
    you have to be a fanboy to post in here is what it sounds like you're saying. all brands have their pros and cons and i appreciate all for what they are. your characterization of intense is far less charitable than my own of Santa Cruz, which leads me to believe you are easily triggered and/or lack comprehension.

i'm sorry.
    Nah, I'm just messing with you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Matt Knows his shit

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Anyone agree/ disagree?
    i sorta covered, but mostly disagree.

Superdeluxe is more tunable than DPX2. Monarch is/was a dog though. X2 is a great shock, but the least user-friendly of them all, and not just in setup.

They probably spec the SD a) for packaging/weight b) SRAM forces it in OEM agreement. I don't think it's a cost-cutting measure per se. It's a solid shock that sadly has had it's reputation sullied by the half-ass predecessor, the Monarch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Could just be a color change per one guy’s opinion

mtbr member
    Could just be a color change per one guy’s opinion

very unlikely, that's one thing the dealer confirmed to me. new hightower design replacing both LT and OG hightowers with a lower link shock design to be released early July.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This is the colors.

Hey Dan, got any insight on 5010 colors?? please!
    5010 v1, @mikerides.mtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Regarding the megatower shock, it sounds like a split decision then. I am the "average" consumer who sets the bike in climb mode when I climb then just runs it wide open the rest of the time so a simple, user friendly shock is always beneficial for me. Its probably why I liked all the bikes with the DPS I rode, it seemed like whoever I was demoing the bike from could just air up the shock for my weight and send me on my way and it would feel good regardless. An idiot-proof shock is probably better for me than one that has a sweet spot and has lots of fine tuning options.

You can see just the slightest bit of the Z from the Santa Cruz logo in the pic of the blue. I think it looks white, but it's just such a sliver and so low resolution that it's hard to say for sure. Could also be a baby blue.
    I see, I thought that was just light shining on the frame but you might be right. Dark blue with white would look interesting if that's what they go for.

mtbr member
    I can tell you this..

Ok this is good info.

I am looking at replacing my V1 5010 with a 29er Considering the Ibis Ripmo and Evil Offering. Also the Hightower, but with knowledge a new HT is coming soon it makes sense to wait and see before drop money on any bike to be sure. Maybe I will like specs or maybe not. I can wait a month to find out however. Last time I bought a new bike the new Blur was announced 2 days after I bought an Epic. Now I do love my Epic and might have bought it anyway, but it would have been nice to properly consider a Blur. Not going to make that mistake this time around.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    if you like the hightower, might also keep an eye out for the new Intense Primer due in August.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I might be putting a payment down tomorrow....

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I might be putting a payment down tomorrow....

I might not be after seeing those colours lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Oh that Tan with some orange accents....

mtbr member
    Regarding the megatower shock, it sounds like a split decision then. I am the "average" consumer who sets the bike in climb mode when I climb then just runs it wide open the rest of the time so a simple, user friendly shock is always beneficial for me. Its probably why I liked all the bikes with the DPS I rode, it seemed like whoever I was demoing the bike from could just air up the shock for my weight and send me on my way and it would feel good regardless. An idiot-proof shock is probably better for me than one that has a sweet spot and has lots of fine tuning options.
    I get that but in my experience with swapping an X2 onto two different bikes now, just setting the dampers based on Fox's tuning guide was a huge improvement over the shocks I took off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    There some sick deals on top HTLT builds up for sale right now on PB and FB

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Santa Cruz makes solid stuff but they are closer to being Trek or Specialized than say Evil or Transition. I’m amazed how many people want Santa Cruz bikes just because. I’d have no problem riding/buying one, heck I bought one for my wife, but they are starting to become an everyday brand from my perspective.

mtbr member
    maybe because they make good bike! I don’t get the point of the need to be exclusive! they are getting bigger, but I don’t see them making worse bikes than they used to... they have great CS reputation, great warranty just not a boutique bike brand anymore, I don’t thing you can even compare their sales numbers with transition, evil or even pivot, yeti!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    maybe because they make good bike! I don’t get the point of the need to be exclusive! they are getting bigger, but I don’t see them making worse bikes than they used to... they have great CS reputation, great warranty just not a boutique bike brand anymore, I don’t thing you can even compare their sales numbers with transition, evil or even pivot, yeti!
    I don't get it. Why can't you compare sales numbers of these brands?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Santa cruz marketshare is probably greater than three of those combined.

mtbr member
    Jeeeez... this forum is starting to sound like the Yeti or Ibis forums... "What colorways are they?" "What accents should I do?", "Where can I find matching stickers for my fork and my matching ass tat?" "Do you think it will match the color of my purse?" FOR REAL??? You guys would nix the new HT because of it's color??? WTF?! I thought this was the Santa Cruz forum but I guess everyone has gone soft these dayz. Just give me the goods with updated geometry please, colors be DAMNED!

FLAME ON!... SMH

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jeeeez... this forum is starting to sound like the Yeti or Ibis forums... "What colorways are they?" "What accents should I do?", "Where can I find matching stickers for my fork and my matching ass tat?" "Do you think it will match the color of my purse?" FOR REAL??? You guys would nix the new HT because of it's color??? WTF?! I thought this was the Santa Cruz forum but I guess everyone has gone soft these dayz. Just give me the goods with updated geometry please, colors be DAMNED!

FLAME ON!... SMH

G MAN
    Hahahaha... exactly!

Now I am off to find matching blue grips... do you think the Ergon Fat GA2 in blue will match the lettering? .... LoL
    2020 Hightower V2 (soon)
    2017 Spark 120mm (sold)

mtbr member
    May 2017

FLAME ON!... SMH

G MAN
    I've decided I'm going rattle can black..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    I've decided I'm going rattle can black..
    I'm pretty much in the same boat... there should always be a stealth option available.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Trek are in their own league ....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...dvocacy-2017-4

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

FLAME ON!... SMH

G MAN
    A buddy of mine @ Trek would explain to you that people buy a bike based on color ... and ride their bike more if they love the color.

mtbr member
    while I might not like the colors the riding experience will win it all, if the bike rides like how I expected I will order doesn’t matter what colors they come, but I will still talk shit about the color!
    Last edited by mfa81; 4 Days Ago at 12:24 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast