Eleven Six vs DHX2 on a Nomad 3 - Anyone try both and can compare?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eleven Six vs DHX2 on a Nomad 3 - Anyone try both and can compare?

Looking for advice before I shell out for a coil on the Nomad 3. The Eleven Six is well reviewed, and the DHX2 also well reviewed, especially now with climb switch. DHX2 advantages are that its lighter and cheaper. Anyone used both these shocks on a Nomad and can offer comment on whether the Eleven Six performance is worth the extra cost and weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I haven't
    However I guess you are weighing up the following
    Custom tune vs generic. Also generic is generally fine for those right in middle of average weight.
    Pushs time with the Nomad and refining tune
    Two valves so can be a thing you want in setting two. Rather than simply a climb setting - mine is set as more smooth single track
    Rebuildable for you next bike inc shortening or lengthening as required. I justified mine on this basis.
    The Fox will be very good I'm sure but the above are all worth something. How much is up to you

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not sure when the Fox with climb switch will be readily available? Only a few places show having them in stock. There are plenty of people with the DHX2 without the switch that may give you some feedback, but a comparison with the climb switch may be a ways out!?!?!
    Last edited by BluePitch; 05-15-2016 at 07:24 PM.

I'm a doctor too
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Not sure when the Fox with climb switch will be readily available? Only a few places show having them in stock. There are plenty of people with the DHX2 without the switch that may give you some feedback, but a comparison with the climb switch may be a ways out!?!?!

Where do you see them in stock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post
    Where do you see them in stock?

Added them to my cart, but my wallet said hold on!

2017 Fox DHX2 TiN Factory Shock (free reducers) - Pro Bike Supply

mtbr member
    May 2014
    2017 DHX2 2 POS
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80964

if you use vip15 on checkout it'll drop the price to $534 US, cheapest I can find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    2017 DHX2 2 POS

if you use vip15 on checkout it'll drop the price to $534 US, cheapest I can find.
    good find

I'm a doctor too
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    2017 DHX2 2 POS

Cheers, ordered it yesterday. Just got an email from them, the shock is in stock and I should be receiving it on Thursday. Stoked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally Ho View Post
    Looking for advice before I shell out for a coil on the Nomad 3. The Eleven Six is well reviewed, and the DHX2 also well reviewed, especially now with climb switch. DHX2 advantages are that its lighter and cheaper. Anyone used both these shocks on a Nomad and can offer comment on whether the Eleven Six performance is worth the extra cost and weight?
    Here is what I can tell you about the physical differences. The DHX will allow you to tune it within a certain range of the "normal" rider. If you are 180 lbs and ride the style, pace, suspension design and manufacturer specifics that the designers at Fox created the shock for then there will be no difference.

That being said you will NEVER be that person. DW is not the same from Pivot to Ibis nor is VPP or Horst Link the same from manufacturer to manufacturer or even bike to bike (Bronson to Nomad etc). Push is not just changing the dials on the 11/6 for use from one bike to the next, they are actually changing the internal valves and shim stacks based on bike manufacturer, model, rider weight, riding style and typical terrain. There is a massive difference if you are really looking at the performance between shocks, but it is a last 10% type of solution.

For me I was very happy with my standard Monarch Plus setup on the Nomad, but wanted to check out a coil shock. The difference blew me away when I got on it. The amount of additional traction and the way it kept the bike composed was night and day different and it is not just descending that changes.

So the real question becomes can you comfortably afford it because there is no doubt that the value is there.

Bodhisattva
    I'll put in a plug for quality as well.
    I took my year & a half old 11.6 to Push today for a routine service (not that I noticed any performance change, but seemed the right thing to do ).

I watched the service. The fluid drained was just as clean as the brand new fluid with which it was replenished. I've never seen that before in any shock or fork.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-20-2016 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Salespunk and Squeaky Wheel sum it up very well.
    Last edited by SCJG; 05-22-2016 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post
    Cheers, ordered it yesterday. Just got an email from them, the shock is in stock and I should be receiving it on Thursday. Stoked!
    I just ordered mine from my LBS in country Australia, thought I'd have a couple of weeks to save up before it was in stock. Turns out it'll be here tomorrow......better sell my body for sex tonight!
    Pretty pumped to give it a go. I'm 75kgs and have a 350 spring. I have a feelling it'll be a little light but according to the fox calulator it should be right. Time will tell.
    Last edited by B Rabbit; 05-26-2016 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Here is what I can tell you about the physical differences. The DHX will allow you to tune it within a certain range of the "normal" rider. If you are 180 lbs and ride the style, pace, suspension design and manufacturer specifics that the designers at Fox created the shock for then there will be no difference.

That being said you will NEVER be that person. DW is not the same from Pivot to Ibis nor is VPP or Horst Link the same from manufacturer to manufacturer or even bike to bike (Bronson to Nomad etc). Push is not just changing the dials on the 11/6 for use from one bike to the next, they are actually changing the internal valves and shim stacks based on bike manufacturer, model, rider weight, riding style and typical terrain. There is a massive difference if you are really looking at the performance between shocks, but it is a last 10% type of solution.

For me I was very happy with my standard Monarch Plus setup on the Nomad, but wanted to check out a coil shock. The difference blew me away when I got on it. The amount of additional traction and the way it kept the bike composed was night and day different and it is not just descending that changes.

So the real question becomes can you comfortably afford it because there is no doubt that the value is there.
    Well put, and appreciated.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for chiming in on this.