Dropper post for a Tallboy 1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dropper post for a Tallboy 1?

I need to get a dropper post, I'm getting worse on the decents.

I have a Tallboy 1. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ted
    Ted in real life
    I am using a Thomson on my TBc 1. It died after two years and was replaced under warranty. It works well but make sure it does not place the seat too high for you when fully extended. Mine is just barely a fit. I think part of the TBc 2 mod was to make more room for dropper posts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had a Rockshox Reverb on my 2011 Tallboy size L, worked just fine. Though there's plenty of negative posts about Reverb failure, I've had them on 3 different bikes with no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Had a Rockshox Reverb on my 2011 Tallboy size L, worked just fine. Though there's plenty of negative posts about Reverb failure, I've had them on 3 different bikes with no problems.
    Same here, no problems on my 2012. I have to pump it up a bit every 3 months or so, but that's par for the course with small volume air springs. Wasn't too keen at first on the hydraulic hose bit as I travel with the bike but so far no issues.

Another one to consider is the Giant Contact Switch. I have that on another bike and it's been trouble-free with the minor exception of one minor tweak to the cable adjuster. It has a cable which I prefer as it's less likely to get kinked and fail after gentle airline handling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had a reverb on my mine but now have a ks lev which is much better as the cable attaches at the base and doesn't move with the post

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    follow up. What length of travel should I get? I'm riding a large TB. 100mm, 125 mm?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Depends on how much drop you want. I prefer 125mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've got a KS Lev 150mm drop on my TBc1. I'd go 150mm if you ride down any steep stuff. I have a 125mm Reverb on my Pivot Mach 6 and always wish I had more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have had a 125 mm KS 900R on my bike since 2010 and have had excellent results. Anything that has gone wrong has been covered under warrantee and they seem to keep on extending the warrantee at that point. Would recommend the LEV or the new 9Point8 post. (Buy direct from their website.)

Go with the 125 or 150 in order to meet minimum insertion points and have enough travel to get the seat down and out of your way.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dropper post for a Tallboy 1?-dropper-post-002.jpgI had a Specialized Command Post on my TB1c for awhile. The TB1 has the cable stops under the top tube which worked well for this cable-actuated dropper post. It worked fine, but I do prefer the RockShox Reverb that I have on my Solo.

The KS Lev gets good reviews, and has the advantage that the hose doesn't move with the seat. And some folks have drilled holes in the lower seat tube to provide stealth routing, but this might be risky.

This new wireless remote dropper post from Magura looks like a nice solution.
    EB15: Magura Syncs Up New Wireless Electronic Vyron Dropper Post

Regarding the amount of drop, it's personal preference. I lower my seat just slightly for technical downhills, and it doesn't feel comfortable with it lowered all the way. However, some folks above said they like a full 125 or 150mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just got my first dropper, 9point8 fall line for my 5010, 125mm works great, cable actuated and doesn't move with the post. Flawless for the first couple weeks and a game changer for this old guy with a fear of steepness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Gravity Dropper TurboLpand buy a thomson switch. simple, durable, works.