Blur XC Carbon Anti grind plate- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Blur XC Carbon Anti grind plate

Hey guys my anti-grind plate on the front swing-arm has faded and begun to chip off in huge chunks after a week of use. I thought this was metal but it appears to just be plastic. Anyone else have trouble with theirs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    mine looks fine with just a few scratches, i've had the bike for a year now...
    My bikes:
    2009 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon, 1x9 "trail monster"
    1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp, 1x9, Hydro V's

mtbr member
    Had mine for almost a year and just scratched up from grimy chain suck.
    I wrap mine with frame wrap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pictures. It's turned a dull gray and is bubbling up.

Give warranty a call?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow- that is some major eating away of that plate . I would agree with the last post to inquire to SC about it. Despite being plastic, it seems it should be a bit more resiliant
    than what is happening to yours.

I was incurring some minor chain slap scratching on that plastic plate so I ended up just pushing the the neoprene lizard skin guard all the way into the curve section. I also put a small piece of duct tape on the rounded pivot section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is only after 2 rides too. I ordered some frame wrap to wrap the chainstay in. The lizard skin thing interferes with the chainrings when pushed up against there.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    warranty for sure - my bltc better not do that

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE
    This is only after 2 rides too. I ordered some frame wrap to wrap the chainstay in. The lizard skin thing interferes with the chainrings when pushed up against there.
    I have the smaller diameter SC lizard skin which wraps very tightlyaround the chainstay and doesnt interfere with the chainrings, i.e. dont have the extra velcro flap as shown in your pics.

Whatever chain action is contributing to the big chips in the plastic plate may likely chip away at frameskin just as thoroughly.

Hope the SC folks are able to assist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I talked to SC and that's the epoxy that bonds the metal plate to the frame. Apparently my plate has fallen off somewhere on the trail or during transport. No word on what they are going to do yet.

mtbr member
    I always use an old inner tube and a couple of zip-ties on the chainstay. On the XCc, I just made sure it went right behind the chain rings too..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks they are sending a new grind plate. Now how do I install the new one? Super Glue? lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Use Epoxy or Polyurethane glue. I reglued my plate after it fell off with the latter and it is not budging for a year now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would expect for them to have provided some basic how-to instructions with the communication that they were sending you a new plate. It should'nt be assumed that
    customers know the repair process for this issue.

Questions I would have for the person at SC you communicating with:

-Any specific epoxy, i.e. that doesnt react adversely to the finish or carbon fiber?
    -How should the surface be prepared so this doesnt happen again? Should the old epoxy be removed? If so, how?

Sorry if these questions seem are obvious but I would want to minimize any risk w/ messing up a $2000+ frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah I asked yesterday about instructions, and have not received a reply yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok the new plate already has epoxy. I just peel off the sticker and slap it on the frame.

Threading freely...
    Did that grind plate hold after the simple peel and slap on? Did you remove the old epoxy first?

I lost mine too, and got a replacement. I was told that I'd have to use epoxy to glue it on, but the metal plate came with a peel off sticker too. Wondering if I should trust the peel and slap on.... Thx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I removed all the epoxy I could without damaging the frame (The frame ended up breaking anyway because of a bad bolt in the linkage system). From my limited experience with the replacement it did not seem to hold very well with the epoxy already on the replacement grind plate. They may have changed things up though.

Threading freely...
    I'll definitely use additionally epoxy then. Thanks for the info.

k^2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mine has done the same thing after about two months. I did not know SC would send you the new grind plate. Will have to talk to them.

Threading freely...
    I called on Monday afternoon and had a new plate in Wednesday's mail. (I do live in the Bay Area.) Great costumer service....

Village Dirtbag
    The epoxy already on the frame looks like it creates the proper shape for the new plate to conform to. I wouldn't remove it- just get it clean. If you want to use a new thin layer of epoxy, give the old layer a little sanding.

whistler
    Mar 2004
    zip-tie the loop side of a velcro strip over the new metal guard - its very durable and your bike will be a lot quieter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yes, good idea

Threading freely...
    I second that--between the neoprene guard and the velcro, it's much quieter.

I used epoxy to glue it one, after sanding the old residue to make a grippier surface. The grind plate glued on perfectly, and is tightly in place.

JBO
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    can someone post a pic of the velcro solution?
    Thanks

Threading freely...
    In my case, I simply used self-adhesive velcro. Just cut the velcro to fit the grind plate, cleaned the grind plate with alcohol, then slapped it on. Seems to hold just fine so far--about 50 miles of riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0