Cut and pasted from:

https://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andyman_1970 Nov-17-03, 12:09 PM
"Blur Owners: Whats the widest rear tire you can run?????"
I've heard that the rear tire clearance on the Blur is tight, what is the widest tire you can run on the Blur. I read where a Conti Vertical is too big to run, is this true?

Replies to Message:
Jrm Nov-17-03, 12:17 PM
"No, thats what im using Nm"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nat Nov-17-03, 12:21 PM
"2.4 Mutanoraptor"
fits mine, but others have had less room (somehow).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andyman_1970 Nov-17-03, 12:41 PM
"re:2.4 Mutanoraptor"
Thanks for the info, I'll be able to run my Racing Ralph 2.25's if you can run a WTB 2.4.
Thanks!

BH Nov-17-03, 01:46 PM
"The 2.4 Mutanoraptor isn't 2.4" wide"
It is actually 55mm which is about 2.16". They are very tall though.

shiggy©®™ Nov-17-03, 03:38 PM
"You can check actual tire dimensions here:"
shiggy's Mt. Bike Tire Site
I do not have the Racing Ralph yet.

WarrGuru Nov-17-03, 02:01 PM
"The difference"
between your Blur and others is probably:
1) Different rim widths yield different tire widths

2) Differences form tire to tire

3) Wheel dish, trueness

4) Frame alignment

Low_bias Nov-17-03, 02:43 PM
"re: Blur Owners: Whats the widest rear tire you can run?????"
I run Conti Vertical Pro-Tection 2.3's with plenty of clearance. I have a pic at home...I'll try to post it tonight if I remember. Plenty of clearance, though it could be troublesome if you have a lot of sticky mud where you ride.
The Vert isn't a "true" 2.3" either.

laffeaux Nov-17-03, 03:52 PM
"agreed"
The Conti 2.3 tires look to be about the size of a "real" 2.1 tire. They fit on my Blur.

CraigH Nov-17-03, 03:37 PM
"2.25K IRC Backcountry on Mavic F519 fits. NM"
nm

blurrider Nov-17-03, 05:22 PM
"Intense Sys 4, 2.4 DOES NOT REALLY FIT"
I love my blur but stick to 2.1 xc tires, not the newer "all mountain" or "trailride" wider style. I use Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 in all conditions (including mud) and it works fine, there is plenty of clearance. I tried an Intense System 4, 2.4 that looked like it fit ok but it left no room for dirt, mud, or (most important), little stones. It would pick up stones that would get jammed between the tire and the frame, sometimes to the point where I would have to stop. The Intense sys 4 seems to have a bigger volume vertically, not just in width, but still, the answer is yes the rear end on a blur is kind of tight.

Low_bias Nov-17-03, 11:16 PM
"re: Blur Owners: Whats the widest rear tire you can run?????"
Here you go- this is the tightest point with Conti Vert Pro 2.3's

Nat Nov-18-03, 05:42 AM
"Hey is that a crack in your frame?"
Right there next to the weld...just kidding. How's the bike working out in the sandy conditions you live in? I remember you were concerned about that.

Low_bias Nov-18-03, 07:19 AM
"Hey is that a crack in your frame?"
Working a lot better now that I've replaced the Karmas with Verticals.
I sprained my wrists about a month and a half ago though, and haven't really been able to ride off road since. Before then, we've had 4 sets of family visitors this summer, we've moved, and I've started a new job, so I haven't been able to ride this bike 1/4 as much as I'd like to. Since my injury I've been doing a lot of hiking and finding some cool trails though, so I'll hit the ground pedaling once I'm healed up.

BLUR-KNOW-IT-ALL Nov-18-03, 08:08 AM
"it depends..."
on the tire you use, some 2.3 are wider than others. i have built a couple with 2.3. i would tell ya not to go any bigger than 2.2.

BLUR-KNOW-IT-ALL Nov-18-03, 08:15 AM
"btw..."
22 pounds...

Tscheezy Nov-18-03, 09:26 AM
"Mmmm... polished.... puuuurty.... nm"

bmadau Nov-18-03, 09:37 AM
"polished frame"
How hard is it to maintain that polished frame? Does it stain if you get the wrong liquid on it? Do you have to buff it occasionally? I've got a steel blue ano frame coming and am not totally crazy about the color (function before beauty) and have thought of polishing hte frame but first, don't know if it'd just be to tedious to do, and second, how hard it would be to maintain after that...

CraigH Nov-18-03, 10:45 AM
"I have a polished Bullit..."
Easy to keep looking good, just use a little Mother's Mag polish and it looks like brand new.
I changed to polished as my painted Bullit didn't look very good.

I would have gotten anodized, but they didn't offer anodized Bullits in 03.

Tscheezy Nov-18-03, 11:19 AM
"Ditto. I have a 10-year-old polished Manitou hardtail..."
and it still looks pretty much brand new, and I have never buffed it up. It is a much easier finish to maintain than paint. Anodizing can scratch too, but I don't have much experience with that finish.
tscheezy

Jrm Nov-18-03, 09:39 AM
"eeeewwwwwwwww V-brakes"
just kidding...

CraigH Nov-18-03, 10:46 AM
"Can you post your build? NM"
nm

BLUR-KNOW-IT-ALL Nov-18-03, 07:12 PM
"My build and care of polished frame..."
just posted the build for this in the discussion forum of... i think its "light weight topics" or something like that.
as far as the care of a hand polished frame goes, it will scratch just looking at it. i use a silver ware polish to keep it up, but it looks brand new! do not try and polish your own frame! order it polished, heat causes the aluminum to fail!!! if you get the tube set hot when you polish it your stuck with a frame that will not last one ride! caution!

a polished frame that is kept clean and polished is the coolest looking frame around! this thing sparkles when i pull up to the race start! the other guys get a bit intimidated lol.

will sell this bike and order a new one soon and i cant say i would like to get a anodized or any other color at this time! i love the polished look!

Low_bias Nov-18-03, 10:31 PM
"Then why are you selling it? nm"

CraigH Nov-19-03, 02:07 PM
"Build thread is here, on WW board..."
BLUR-KNOW-IT-ALL "Realisic,REAL Blur Weights? Using Good Parts, Not Flexy" 11/18/03 9:26am

https://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]/7

FriarTuck Nov-19-03, 10:24 AM
"I've tried a few on my Blur"
I started with a set of Conti Vertical Pro 2.3's and there was plenty of room. I also tried a Tioga 2.1 XC (seem to be the same size as the Conti's). Currently, I have a set of WTB Weirwolf's in the new 2.3 size. These are slightly bigger than the Conti's and they were rubbing on one side of the upper chainstays. I dished the rim properly and they are working fine (of course, I'll be screwed if I wack my rear wheel out of true).
Just for shits & giggles, I tried a Tioga 2.3 DH on the wheels from my other bike and as expected, it rubbed. However, I think that a Tioga 2.1 DH might just fit if the wheel is properly dished.

I'm really pleased with the Weirwolfs in the 2.3 size! Nice big-volume tire that seems to have a good amount of grip, without too much rolling resistance. BTW, I tried the Stan's Rimstrips system for the first time with these tires, and can't belive how well they grip!!! Also, after 3 weeks & 6 rides, I have not had to add ANY air since their initial install.

Sorry to take up space posting a picture, but I'm still quite proud to have a new bike (and a Blur, at that!) after so many years, I'll look for any excuse to show it off!!!