BLTc Downtube/Link Protector?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BLTc Downtube/Link Protector?

OK, so Ive seen a lot of people with the molded plastic-y downtube/link protector on their Tallboys, but I was wondering if anyone made such a thing for the BLTc. And if so, how do you attach it, since there are no water bottle mounts on the underside like the Tallboy has. I've run searches on this forum and havent found a good solution. I have some clear frameskin on the bottom of the downtube, but I dont trust that that will protect me against nailing my frame (or link) on a step up ledge. I find myself riding very cautiously up ledges lately because Im afraid of hitting my linkage/BB shell.

Anyone have any links?

b a n n e d
    SC makes a thick vinyl patch, though it won't extend down to the BB shell or the lower link.

Ask Pau11y . . . he ordered something from a guy overseas that made custom molded stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    OK, so Ive seen a lot of people with the molded plastic-y downtube/link protector on their Tallboys, but I was wondering if anyone made such a thing for the BLTc. And if so, how do you attach it, since there are no water bottle mounts on the underside like the Tallboy has. I've run searches on this forum and havent found a good solution. I have some clear frameskin on the bottom of the downtube, but I dont trust that that will protect me against nailing my frame (or link) on a step up ledge. I find myself riding very cautiously up ledges lately because Im afraid of hitting my linkage/BB shell.

Anyone have any links?
    Leoseven from Nice/France makes these protections in a super carbon quality.
    You can ask him to email you photos how to attach the protections on a Blur LTc.
    He is owner of a Blur LTc

A picture of my protection (Blur TRc)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A picture of my protection (Blur TRc)

[/QUOTE]

Always thought the BLT could have used DT bottle mounts for this reason.....I made a nice DT protector for my TRc out of 3mm plastic in 1/2hr and bolted it up....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sooner518 - check out the BLTc pic/build thread. On one of the later pages dialogue takes place on downtube protectors. Pics and a vendor are listed. If I recall a group buy was put together to save on shipping from a vendor in Europe.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the suggestions. im mostly worried about the very lowest point on the bike, the pivot axles on the rear triangle. Zip tying a carbon plate to the bottom of my bike doesnt appeal to me, so I guess I'll look into putting some heavier duty tape down there.

Someone mentioned something called Rescue tape which looks nice and thick. That would probably be strong enough so long as its not in an area where there is likely to be alot of chain slap. I rarely pedal in granny ring (I live in Texas, so I could easily get away with a 1X9, just havent done it yet) so this would probably be a good solution. Thanks

b a n n e d
    You could also check into waterproof electrical tape. Its really thick stuff, easy to work with and lasts a long time. I've wrapped my chainstay with it and after a year of riding, its just now starting to show wear. Home Depot sells it for ~$10 a roll and and all you were doing was the link, that would last you the life of the bike I'd guess

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    You could also check into waterproof electrical tape. Its really thick stuff, easy to work with and lasts a long time. I've wrapped my chainstay with it and after a year of riding, its just now starting to show wear. Home Depot sells it for ~$10 a roll and and all you were doing was the link, that would last you the life of the bike I'd guess
    im looking for this on homedepot.com and not finding any luck. any help with a link or something?

I did find this, which looks like similar to that Rescue Tape. it sticks to itself, so I wonder how well it would work on the irregularly shaped part of the rear triangle that Im worried about. Stretch and Seal 1 in. x 10 ft. Silicone Sealing Tape-684201 at The Home Depot

b a n n e d
    Try this: 1 in. x 10 ft. 2228 Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape-50727-BA-5 at The Home Depot

This stuff seals to itself too and on the Chainstay, it really quiets the chainslap too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Try this: 1 in. x 10 ft. 2228 Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape-50727-BA-5 at The Home Depot

This stuff seals to itself too and on the Chainstay, it really quiets the chainslap too.
    awesome. ill pick up a box on my way home and hopefully that will put my mind at ease. i dont like seeing little chips on my bike, even if it is just clearcoat and paint.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Shelter

Check this stuff out.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    awesome. ill pick up a box on my way home and hopefully that will put my mind at ease. i dont like seeing little chips on my bike, even if it is just clearcoat and paint.

When you put it on, make sure you stretch it a bit as it will form a better adhesion to itself and to whatever surface you are attaching too. For odd shapes (e.g., link pivot), stretch out a larger piece, affix it to the bike and then trim to fit with a razor.