Anyone running a Blur 4x w/ coil shock?- Mtbr.com
    Boyeeee

New question here. Anyone running a Blur 4x w/ coil shock?

I've had a 5th Element Air, Roco Air R, and a Push'd Float AVA RL (current) on mine. I like the current setup a lot but am curious about the coil options.

Anyone run a DHX C or TST R on theirs? Any other options... Avy?

I have a Pike 454 Air U-Turn on the front and the bike is used as a trail/am/general bike to complement an Uzzi VPX and a SingleSpeed.

mtbr member
    One guy I ride with has a DHX coil and a Pike u-turn coil on his 4x. But he's one of the fastest guys around here and rides it like a smaller version of his V10.

As a trail bike, I'd just keep an air shock on it. I've used my 4x on shuttle days and wished everything was a little beefier (everyone else was on their DH bikes) but other than that, it's perfect with the air/air setup.

Boyeeee
    Cool. You're probably right. I just have a case of upgrade-itis.

The VPX could use a new set of wheels and the SS needs a nice spiderless crank...

Boyeeee
    Ended up pulling the trigger on a used Fox Vanilla RC. I talked to Push about the shock before I bought it and they said the shock would be an excellent match for the bike. They also recommended a 500 lb spring.

I'll ride the shock for a month or two and likely get it Push'd at the end of the summer.

Boyeeee

Good job! Blur 4x + Push'd Vanilla RC

Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    Ended up pulling the trigger on a used Fox Vanilla RC. I talked to Push about the shock before I bought it and they said the shock would be an excellent match for the bike. They also recommended a 500 lb spring.

I'll ride the shock for a month or two and likely get it Push'd at the end of the summer.
    I lied. The shock ended up being a 2.25" stroke instead of the 2" stroke needed for the Blur 4x, so I didn't end up riding it and just sent it directly in to Push.

Push service was excellent as always and I really like the new scheduling system. Since I couldn't ride it, I sent the shock out way ahead of my appointment and it was shipped back on the day it was scheduled for service.

They tuned it for a 185lb rider (without gear) riding "aggressive trail". The recommended settings were full open compression, 3-5 clicks of rebound from full slow, and the final recommended spring setting was 550lbs. They also installed a .25" spacer to reduce the stroke and supplied a new slotted spring collar retainer with a wider ID to accommodate the spacer.

I was very happy with the Push'd Float AVA RL I had on the B4x before, but the Vanilla is another level. It just seems a lot more controlled. Landings off of jumps and drops to flat just seem to stick whereas the Float would be a little harsher. Small bump compliance is excellent and I haven't noticed any loss of pedaling efficiency or snappiness. Square edge hits are eaten up as well as they can be on a 4.5" travel bike.

Overall, the Push'd Vanilla RC is better in almost every respect than the Push'd Float AVA RL. The only drawback seems to be weight. This is the fourth shock I've had on the bike (5th Element Air, Roco Air R, Push'd Float AVA RL, Push'd Vanilla RC) and it'll probably be the last.

If I had to be picky, the only negative with the service is that the compression recommendation is "full open". It would have been nice for the recommended setting to have been somewhere closer to the middle of the available settings of the shock for better tunability on the trail. I guess another negative is that now I have to figure out what to do with that Float AVA.

Members who have read this thread: 0