NedwannaB

5010 Wtb i25 afordable wheel upgrade?

Looking to upgrade the stock wheelset on my 2018 D build in the near future to something of better quality and weight. Iím looking at the e13/Hive wheels and live near and know the lead guys at the west coast sales office here in NorCal. As much as I would love to get a carbon set not really in the budget. Anyone have a set of their alloys that could recommend them? Any other manf sets within the $5-600 range?

TIA
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hope/StansFlow - you can find them about that price and pretty good bang for the buck. Drop a little more and you can upgrade hubs and only need carbon hoops/spokes when the budget allows.

mtbr member
    What are the stock wheels first up, then people can give recommendations on what might be considered an upgrade??
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    His title/first post identified the rims, the build and the year.

Front Hub - SRAM MTH 716, 15x110, Torque Cap, 32h
    Rear Hub - SRAM MTH 746, 12x148, 32h
    Rims - WTB ST i25 TCS 27.5
    Spokes - DT Competition (32)

Took 10 seconds to look up prior to recommending.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
    Hope/StansFlow - you can find them about that price and pretty good bang for the buck. Drop a little more and you can upgrade hubs and only need carbon hoops/spokes when the budget allows.
    Nobody "needs" carbon rims.

OP, How much do you weigh? What tires do you want to run? What kind of riding do you do, what kind of terrain? Do you favor light weight or durability?

Your i25 rims are good rims, if maybe a little narrow by modern standards. The hubs are nothing special though. Would you keep your old wheels or sell them?

I'm personally not a big fan of e13 wheels. They use too much proprietary stuff on their hubs and spokes and for me that would be a pain to try and source parts. I prefer j-bend wheels that use parts that can be acquired in any bike shop.

With a $600 budget I'd use Hope or DT Swiss hubs and lace them to i27-i32 rims of your choice (assuming 2.3-2.5" tires) from WTB, Raceface, Stans, DT Swiss, or Spank rims of your choice depending on body weight and riding style. Sapim Race spokes for bang for your buck.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Look for a take-off IBIS 738 wheelset. They're wide and reasonably light. I've bought two of them for about $300 each and they've been great. The hubs are nothing special, but the overall package is great for weight/stiffness/cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You can get nice hand built wheelset with Hope hubs for around $600. I got a Hope/Race Face ARC 30 set built for around that price from CO Cyclist for my Hightower. Nice quality light, strong and still rolling perfectly true.

The Stans Flow/Hope set up is also a good suggestion.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Plug alert... I race on a team that gets support from speedtuned wheels. They actually machine and hand build many wheelsets for large brands in the us. You can build custom wheelsets on their website for incredibly cheap. www.speedtunedwheels.com Their hubs are surprisingly good, maybe a smidge better then BHS/Bitex level, but I usually opt to have them build me a custom set using dt350's.

Regarding cf vs aluminum... I have several wheelsets in both materials. I'm about 180lbs geared and I ride hard. Carbon wheels are nice, but honestly a decent set of aluminum wheels for some one that is not a feather weight isn't much if at all heavier, and they ride pretty much the same.

That being said, there are some cf wheels that ride like butter (sc reserve) but you pay so damn much for them. A good set of dtswiss hoops will be just as compliant and will last a long time.

Re: Stans. I used to be a stans fanatic (other then the fact that I'm too fat to ride crests without murdering them and other then the garbage neo hubs). I am no longer a fan with this current generation. I know many, many, many people in my riding circle that have killed all types of mk3 stans wheels. Flat spots, cracks at the nipple holes etc. All were built by experienced builders. I just cannot suggest them in good faith currently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    You can find takeoff Raceface/DT wheelsets from Santa Cruz's, below your price range. With either 350 or 370 hubs. That would be a solid wheelset that's easy to service.

NedwannaB
    Thanks all for the beta. Sorry I guess a abit more info would help huh:

So Iím 140#ís and riding terrain ment for a 5010 of course!😳 I would label myself aggressive XC/Trail? I guess but at 60+ Iíve scaled it back somewhat. Current tires are 2.3 Maxxis DHF/DHR that came on bike. First time running these. I was thinking to jump up to 2.4/2.5 or 2.5/2.6 (providing they fit) next time. Donít think I want to go over 30 int dimn. The $500 (~$400 actually now that I recall) e13 came from a set I was looking at but they were 35 int and I figured too wide for my tire choice, or am I wrong?

My other bikes are a 22# carbon ht w/Stanís Neo/Arch and 26# V1 Ripley w/Ibis 928 carbon wheelset. So this 30# 27.5 trailbike needs to lighten up abit before Iíll feel the luv.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hh2435 View Post
    You can find takeoff Raceface/DT wheelsets from Santa Cruz's, below your price range. With either 350 or 370 hubs. That would be a solid wheelset that's easy to service.
    Thanks Iíll check those out. Iíve had a wheel with a 240s (135 hub) for years relaxed to different hoops itís been great!
    problem free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Thanks Iíll check those out. Iíve had a wheel with a 240s (135 hub) for years relaxed to different hoops itís been great!
    problem free.
    Yeah! As far as your other Q's:
    - the v2 5010 fits a 2.5in max tire in the rear according to SC. So a 30mm-27mm rim is all you'd need. If you plan to ever run smaller than ~2.3in tires the 27mm would probably be a better choice.
    - Putting wider rims and tires on your bike may have the opposite effect of lightening up the bike depending on how heavy those wtb rims are though.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hh2435 View Post
    Yeah! As far as your other Q's:
    - the v2 5010 fits a 2.5in max tire in the rear according to SC. So a 30mm-27mm rim is all you'd need. If you plan to ever run smaller than ~2.3in tires the 27mm would probably be a better choice.
    - Putting wider rims and tires on your bike may have the opposite effect of lightening up the bike depending on how heavy those wtb rims are though.
    Duely noted.👍

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    problem free.
    I'd avoid wheels with the DT Swiss 370's as you can't upgrade to the 54T star ratchet system, which is a deal killer IMO.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    I'd avoid wheels with the DT Swiss 370's as you can't upgrade to the 54T star ratchet system, which is a deal killer IMO.
    Yeah Iíve heard that, 350 and up.👍 Yeah the lag of engagement sucks on these wheels. Compared to what Iíve been used to.

At the risk of more ďproprietaryĒ ridicule, what about the Mavic DeeMax Pro WTS? They seem to fit my budget, 28 int and 1710g weight seems a decent reduction over the stock.. Plus you get tires!