5010 V4 is here.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

5010 V4 is here.

It's here. Time to start a clean thread.

Santa Cruz has made significant changes. The 5010 now comes with a 140mm fork which I have on my 5010 V1. Geometry is updated and VPP continues its downward trend. Wider rims, 2.4 tires and no 27.5+ option. Its put on a bit of weight too.

Colors are colors. Some will like them. Some will not. XT option! Nice. No aluminum frame yet.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    What do you mean by VPP continues downward trend?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sportylx View Post
    He's referring to the shock location. SC has moved most of its bikes shocks from the top tube to the down tube location.

5010 V4 is here.-p5pb18839863.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Positioned low on the bike

edit: bike looks great but no AL version to start the season is a mistake. Maybe it's tough to get AL frames made these days, anyone know where the carbon and AL frames for Santa Cruz are made??

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Oh. Makes sense. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Positioned low on the bike

edit: bike looks great but no AL version to start the season is a mistake. Maybe it's tough to get AL frames made these days, anyone know where the carbon and AL frames for Santa Cruz are made??
    Generally the bike manufactures will release the carbon models at launch, with the most expensive builds being available first. After that the less expensive carbon builds. Alloy models will probably be a little later down the road. This practice helps recoup investment costs and make some margin.

My Bronson V3 Carbon frame says made in China.

mtbr member
    To throw in my own two cents, I feel positive towards the new 5010.

I was planning on a new bike this season but put money into my 5010 V1 (upgraded to Eagle GX and new tires). I still liked riding the bike but was thinking that it was time to give 29" a try so I demoed everything I could get my hands on last summer. Ruled out the Megatower, liked the Hightower, really liked the Tallboy and loved the Bronson. The V3 version of the 5010 did not excite me. The V4 version excites me like Santa Cruz did when they introduced the Solo. Lower link works for me.

We shall see where all this leads. I definitely like the blue color whatever it is actually called. Because I have a 140mm Pike on my current 5010 and regularly use 5" of travel, I am hesitant to go back to 130mm on the Tallboy. I also change my mind a lot and study the Hell out of bikes before I lay down 5k and can make no accurate predictions on what bike I end up with when I make my next purchase .....

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Generally the bike manufactures will release the carbon models at launch, with the most expensive builds being available first. After that the less expensive carbon builds. Alloy models will probably be a little later down the road. This practice helps recoup investment costs and make some margin.

My Bronson V3 Carbon frame says made in China.
    That makes perfect sense, but not in 2020.

I have a friend of a friend and she wants a 5010 bad all last year, she's ready to pull the trigger but $4000 USD is about her limit as she's new to mountain biking and has a road bike. Messaged her Sunday about the rumours for a new 5010 and hold off. She's not going to be interested anymore.

But yes, first world problems!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like the small changes. 42mm stem, 30mm rims, 140 fork. Interesting that the shock is the same size as the V3. Glad there is now an XT version too. So I heard from one reviewer the AL versions didn't sell so they aren't including them at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a COVID-19 issue for availability. I'm happy to see the brand still supporting the 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Glad I got a V3. If I wanted a Bronson, I would've bought a Bronson (looks alone, obviously haven't ridden one yet). I just feel like the 5010 has always been the shorter travel thrasher. Now it's getting bigger and IMO, losing it's appeal. If I were in the market for a new trail bike today, I'd totally skip the new 5010 sad to say.

FWIW, I ride a pretty popular trail system and the only Aluminum 5010's I ever see are the LBS's rentals. I don't think they sell well.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    May 2020

I have a friend of a friend and she wants a 5010 bad all last year, she's ready to pull the trigger but $4000 USD is about her limit as she's new to mountain biking and has a road bike. Messaged her Sunday about the rumours for a new 5010 and hold off. She's not going to be interested anymore.

My wife and I had us on order 2- 5010's V3 R+ alloy build. We stretch our budget for this. But we are OUT now that it starts at $4K. I cant see us spending over 8k for the 2 bikes. This style bike was perfect for me. Now i'm up for other suggestions. I would like to support my LBS. They sell (Trek/Scott/SC/cannondale. The other LBS has Specialized/Giant) Any suggestions? Budget is $3500/each

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Looks good, they still kept the CS short even sizing them up, I can't imagine that will put anyone off. I like the colors, sad to think I might not be able to demo one on the east coast possibly all summer..

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    FWIW, I ride a pretty popular trail system and the only Aluminum 5010's I ever see are the LBS's rentals. I don't think they sell well.
    I haven't actually ridden one, but SC AL frames are chunky and I think for that price point, say a Giant or YT you get much better spec and a lighter bike. I actually have been considering a AL nomad though just for park duties, and the occasional rowdy trail.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Chainstays same length but 26mm longer wheelbase for medium size. I'm glad I got V3.

Looks great though. Both colors are kinda girly but they blue is OK. It's smart that they aren't selling two different versions based on tire width anymore. 30mm internal rims is the best compromise for running 2.3s or 2.6s. And so many buyers end up upgrading their wheels anyway...

mtbr member
    Interesting point on the Bronson comparison. I very much like the current Bronson and my first thoughts on the new 5010 were "Bronson Lite." That works for me but I can't shake the feeling that its time to own a 29". With that in mind, I keep going back and forth between the Tallboy and Hightower while the new 5010 calls like it did five years ago when it won my heart over the Bronson, Tallboy and Pivot 429.

Oh, these first world problems are a b!tch.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Doesn't look like they raised the derailleur cable exit port on the seatstay though. The only complaint I have about my bike is the port is so low it makes the housing have a lot of tension with the shimano 12sp derailleurs. Just needs to be moved up about 2" for a perfect cable run.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Wow, $300 increase for a CC frame. Yet Ibis holds at 3k for the new mojo. And the $5400 SLX mojo has fox factory shock and fork.

The xt 5010 at $6k has rock shox suspension (not ultimate) and isn't even the CC frame. Yeah, it has xt instead of slx but their cost difference is probably $40 and the two groups are extremely close in weight. They're not even trying to be a good value anymore thanks to their tight supply control.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So Vital has a video that shows the V3 then the V4 and it's interesting to see the changes that way. Really doesn't look like the STA changes that much so I expect they are using a Effective STA to get that 77 degrees. Clearly see the frame mass moving lower.

https://youtu.be/MtFL5nO4r4U

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sounds like this is the right time for her. If she was wanting the previous version she may be able to find a better deal on one know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Doesn't look like they raised the derailleur cable exit port on the seatstay though. The only complaint I have about my bike is the port is so low it makes the housing have a lot of tension with the shimano 12sp derailleurs. Just needs to be moved up about 2" for a perfect cable run.
    You know, that's a very good point, even on my GX eagle, the angle isn't great, seems like a strange thing to not notice/improve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Wow, $300 increase for a CC frame. Yet Ibis holds at 3k for the new mojo. And the $5400 SLX mojo has fox factory shock and fork.

The xt 5010 at $6k has rock shox suspension (not ultimate) and isn't even the CC frame. Yeah, it has xt instead of slx but their cost difference is probably $40 and the two groups are extremely close in weight. They're not even trying to be a good value anymore thanks to their tight supply control.
    All the lower link bikes frames are at least 200, if not 300 more. I can accept that it's a more complicated mold, I do wish they would just sell C level frames direct though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    So Vital has a video that shows the V3 then the V4 and it's interesting to see the changes that way. Really doesn't look like the STA changes that much so I expect they are using a Effective STA to get that 77 degrees. Clearly see the frame mass moving lower.
    Everyone uses effective STA. SC uses it for the V3 and V4.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    All the lower link bikes frames are at least 200, if not 300 more. I can accept that it's a more complicated mold, I do wish they would just sell C level frames direct though.
    Lets keep it real. The only reason they started moving frames above 3k was because Yeti and Evil did it. Even the "hot new thing" Revel is under 3k for a full carbon frame. There's so much profit in these things it's insane. yeah, I take part in it but I'm not going to accept their weak justifications.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Everyone uses effective STA. SC uses it for the V3 and V4.
    True, but ESTA also takes into account seat height. Just jack it up to get a steeper angle. Kind of a BS number now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Lets keep it real. The only reason they started moving frames above 3k was because Yeti and Evil did it. Even the "hot new thing" Revel is under 3k for a full carbon frame. There's so much profit in these things it's insane. yeah, I take part in it but I'm not going to accept their weak justifications.
    I read numerous times that the Aluminum frames are more costly to build.

Carbon is the shiny object that people are willing to pay for. I also participate. Some days, I wonder why I don't just go out and buy a dirt bike for half the cost. lol

mtbr member
    True, but ESTA also takes into account seat height. Just jack it up to get a steeper angle. Kind of a BS number now.
    Santa Cruz is one of the few companies that lists the STA for each frame size based on the average inseam it was designed for. So it's one of the most accurate and honest ways of stating the STA.

DPC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

SICK Bike - New SantaCruz

So sick and just the right amount of travel too!!

What's up with the crazy wheelset? Did Santa Cruz release a new crazy 16 spoke rim?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5010 V4 is here.-screen-shot-2020-06-16-9.19.58-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPC View Post
    So sick and just the right amount of travel too!!

What's up with the crazy wheelset? Did Santa Cruz release a new crazy 16 spoke rim?
    Yeah, it's the perfect amount of compliance. Should keep your fingers from fatiguing as quickly.

mtbr member
    That's a pic of the miniature bike. Look close....no labels on the shock, funky RD, no chain, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I'm in a rock and a hard place now... Mojo 4 or 5010.... which one, which one... pfft.
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

DPC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That's a pic of the miniature bike. Look close....no labels on the shock, funky RD, no chain, etc.
    LMAO!!!! What!! A little model bike for $4400

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPC View Post
    LMAO!!!! What!! A little model bike for $4400
    It's a lot more maneuverable than a traditional bike.

mtbr member
    My 2c as per the old thread...

Changing chainstay length and STA with sizes.
    Colours.
    Burlier looking frame.
    150mm tall headtube on a L frame.

Too bad for those who want to try a mullet or run a 150mm fork...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Glad I got a V3. If I wanted a Bronson, I would've bought a Bronson (looks alone, obviously haven't ridden one yet). I just feel like the 5010 has always been the shorter travel thrasher. Now it's getting bigger and IMO, losing it's appeal. If I were in the market for a new trail bike today, I'd totally skip the new 5010 sad to say.

I see tons of 5010's in Utah. Almost every ride. They dont seem to sell as good as the HT around here though.

Edit - oh I think you meant Aluminum 5010s - yeah I rarely see those.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    2021 5010 or 2020 Bronson?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel95 View Post
    2021 5010 or 2020 Bronson?
    Get the lighter bike.... Bronson! New 5010 frame must be really heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    5010- 31.34lbs
    Bronson - 31.5lbs

and a $300 difference

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks like they have made changes to the chunnel so you can fit more choices of shocks. When you read the tech support there is no mention that X2 and Double Barrel won't fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    + Bird Aether 7

mtbr member
    I got a quote for a Rascal *with* a Pike Ultimate, CC headset and they throw in a chain guide for sub $3K. I ended up going with a V4 Ripley.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    I'm okay with the colors which is a change for me with most SC bikes the last several years. I still can't believe the weight on an X01 build for an $8K bike. My V2 5010 was 28.2 and my 2020 Ibis HD5 with a Fox 36 and SC Reserve 37's is only 29.64 with a bottle cage.
    Carpe Diem!!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I got a quote for a Rascal *with* a Pike Ultimate, CC headset and they throw in a chain guide for sub $3K. I ended up going with a V4 Ripley.
    Wow. Under 3 for that package is fantastic. Those frames are beautifully made. Better finishing than my SC. I didn't like the one I demod though. If there was a Rail available to try in my area things might have been different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks like they have made changes to the chunnel so you can fit more choices of shocks. When you read the tech support there is no mention that X2 and Double Barrel won't fit.
    I read somewhere (can't remember where) that all shocks fit including Float X2.

Edit: Bike Mag said it here FWIW: https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-the-new-5010/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel95 View Post
    5010- 31.34lbs
    Bronson - 31.5lbs

and a $300 difference
    I was going by X01 builds
    5010 - 29.55
    Bronson - 29.39 with a Lyrik

LCW
    mtbr member

Yep... artificially constrict supply... drive up demand... pump up your margins... SC isnít the small company it used to be.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

LCW
    mtbr member
    Probably because they seemed to be more and more married to SRAM on their builds...

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Each version update the bikes grows in weight. They are being ridden harder as the geometries are allowing it. Loose Dog and the crew are a testament to the abuse the frame can take.

I'm sure SC is over building the frames....kind of have to when you have a lifetime warranty.

Look at the extra material near the shock tunnel on the 5010

5010 V4 is here.-scb_my21_5010_details-08.jpg

compared to the Bronson

5010 V4 is here.-scb_my20_coal_detail-06.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Are we sure it's a 37mm offset?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Probably because they seemed to be more and more married to SRAM on their builds...
    Turns out I was totally wrong about this. They DID raise it quite a bit. The port on my v3 is pretty much right next to the axle.
    My apologies SC.
    5010 V4 is here.-img_20200616_225001.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The new 5010 is longer than my Evil Insurgent LB for the same size. My Insurgent is super stable and a trail slaying machine. No, the 5010 doesn't have the travel my Insurgent has, but considering how long trail bikes are getting, I'm wondering what is going to happen to enduro bikes. Is there any limit to longer wheelbases? Not that I'm complaining; I bet the new bike kills it down hill.

mtbr member
    I think enduro and trail bikes will be defined more by the differences in travel than geometry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Does someone know the fork offset?? is it 37mm or 46mm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by agisbert View Post
    Judging by the pictures, I bet its a 46mm one. given the angle of the frame, Iīm not even sure it has clearance enought for a 37mm fork.

TBS...

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Changing chainstay length and STA with sizes.
    Maybe I should look in the old thread, but I hate this evolution. A significant portion of the reason I went with this bike was short CSL. And now the large will have a longer CSL than the V3. So when/if my V3 dies, this is my likely replacement. Boo.

In a couple of years when it's new bike time, hopefully someone has produced my perfect bike 27.5x2.6 bike with 65-66* HTA, 13" BBH, 18" reach, and 16.5" CSL. V3 5010 was as close as I could get.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Judging by the pictures, I bet its a 46mm one. given the angle of the frame, Iīm not even sure it has clearance enought for a 37mm fork.

TBS...
    The Mojo 4 uses a 37mm fork and putting both bike side by side (with the lack of info of the 5010 and no response from SC) it looks similar in rake.
    (It's hard to tell through pictures though...) :\
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5010 V4 is here.-ibis.jpg  

5010 V4 is here.-sc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    The Mojo 4 uses a 37mm fork and putting both bike side by side (with the lack of info of the 5010 and no response from SC) it looks similar in rake.

I think the picture of the mojo is not really straight.

Look at the stumpjumper evo vs the normal stumpjumper, those have 37 vs 46 mm forks.

37 ones really look as if the stanchions do not have any offset with regards the headtube at all. The ones in the 5010 look like they do have some offset.

mtbr member
    Love the looks of this bike and geometry, beautiful.

I used to be surprised when I saw trail bike geometry converging with downhill / Enduro / free ride geometry. Now it's pretty clear this is the way of the world. Seems geometries may not differ that radically for bikes across the use case range ( 5010 > Bronson > Nomad), they will be more differentiated by travel.

This makes sense to me as I ride a nomad 4 with similar head angles really without issues across a wide variety of trails. This is however quite different from how people used to think about bike geo - i.e. you need / want a 67 degree head angle to ride swoopy flowy single track otherwise your bike will be a pig.

Would love see steeper seat post (and more insertion) on the Nomad, which it would appear are on the come for the next generation given what the 5010 is. Also would guess it will be a bit slacker with 180mm and possible dual crown or mullet compatibility.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

So the 5010 has a 1 degree steeper STA??

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's interesting to see how the seat tubes compare on these bikes. SC says the 5010 is 77.2 while the Ibis Mojo 4 is 76.6 degrees on size larges. The 5010 sure looks slacker than the Mojo 4.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle from SC
    A 150mm fork will work fine on your 5010- You can use any fork offset you want, but for optimal handling, we recommend a fork in the 44-46mm range. You can find a little bit more information on the bike Archive page here.

Cheers,

Kyle B.

Rider Support Coordinator.
    here you go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    It's interesting to see how the seat tubes compare on these bikes. SC says the 5010 is 77.2 while the Ibis Mojo 4 is 76.6 degrees on size larges. The 5010 sure looks slacker than the Mojo 4.
    Yup, they are full of shit.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Gotta remember it's effective, but using a protractor quickly on these images, the SC I measured 77, so pretty close, but the Ibis comes in at like 80. So clearly the Ibis is steeper - which is obvious as day even without measure, but I think their published number is wrong, vs SC's. Not sure how Ibis would get 76.6 from that...

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    This bike seems perfect for the trails in Florida near me (small drops and steep hills/technical/tight turns/roots and rocks). Thing is, I'm a new rider and not big on "tricks" or big jumps, I'm just looking for a good all around bike, is this only good for people who want a big "bmx" bike or could it be a good all around trail bike for me?

mtbr member
    Itís a great all around bike for a new rider. Thereís potential for you to outgrow it eventually, of course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Picked up new 5010 v2 a few years ago when I got back into mtb. Iím not great at wheelies or bunny hops but this is a great bike for practicing those things and all around trail riding. If I were to upgrade, Iíd be torn between the new 5010 and the Tallboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just had a look at the ibis mojo's geo, kind of weird - they have just drawn a line from the centre of the BB to the center of the seat tube and kept it going to be level with the top of head tube. This is neither effective or actual.

mtbr member
    Itís nearly the same definition of seat tube angle as Santa Cruz. The only difference I see is Santa Cruz is pulling a horizontal line across from the top of the head tube at its center. Ibisí horizontal line is lower. You can see how itís below the horizontal line that defines stack. Moving that line up would move the crossing with the actual seat tube centerline rearward, thus slackening the seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theyseemerollin View Post
    This bike seems perfect for the trails in Florida near me (small drops and steep hills/technical/tight turns/roots and rocks). Thing is, I'm a new rider and not big on "tricks" or big jumps, I'm just looking for a good all around bike, is this only good for people who want a big "bmx" bike or could it be a good all around trail bike for me?
    Central Florida rider here. Haven't ridden the V4 but the V3 is a great bike for new riders. Can't imagine the V4 wouldn't be.

mtbr member
    I've ridden the original 5010 for six years and it would be a very good bike for the conditions you describe. I'm not sure something like a Blur or Tallboy wouldn't be better though.

I'm an old rider who isn't into tricks or big jumps either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Central Florida rider here. Haven't ridden the V4 but the V3 is a great bike for new riders. Can't imagine the V4 wouldn't be.

Thanks for the advice! Now I just wish it was in stock to test over here. Have you rode yours on balm boyette or Alafia trails? Plenty of travel for those trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the advice! Now I just wish it was in stock to test over here. Have you rode yours on balm boyette or Alafia trails? Plenty of travel for those trails?
    Travel is relative, remember your legs and arms have a lot more travel than the bike, but if I were to keep it simple, in most cases, more travel just means a bike is more stable on fast rough stuff, and more cushy on big hits/drops. The 5010 can hold it's own in all of those scenarios, it's just not going to be enduro fast, or DH plush, but it rewards you with a more lively and fun bike. If you've seen the YT channel Blindstuff mtb, he's ridden most if not all of FL, he had the 27.5 Jeffsey for a while which is in a similar category, he recently got the 29, which I think has a bit more travel now.

mtbr member
    I haven't yet, mainly because I'm one of the builders in the Vortex area at Santos so I'm seemingly always riding there. I hit our big drops, the D2 line (easily the biggest tables in Central Florida, if not all of Florida), the flow trail, etc.

Basically my V3 handles everything I can throw at it in Florida. Even more so after upgrading to a 150mm fork. In my personal opinion, anything bigger than a 150mm bike is overkill for Florida, just like riding DHF/DHR tires here, they're not at all needed and just make the bike feel sluggish from my experience.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I haven't yet, mainly because I'm one of the builders in the Vortex area at Santos so I'm seemingly always riding there. I hit our big drops, the D2 line (easily the biggest tables in Central Florida, if not all of Florida), the flow trail, etc.

Basically my V3 handles everything I can throw at it in Florida. Even more so after upgrading to a 150mm fork. In my personal opinion, anything bigger than a 150mm bike is overkill for Florida, just like riding DHF/DHR tires here, they're not at all needed and just make the bike feel sluggish from my experience.
    What sort of tires would you consider for FL trails?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Honestly, sounds like you need a Blur TR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I really don't like how Santa Cruz markets this bike. The bike is a perfect mountain bike for people looking to ride trails, not race them. Too much of the industry is all about how fast you can go on a bike. I've very happy with my 5010 and I've never done tricks or big jumps on the bike. It's a very capable trail bike that works really well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I really don't like how Santa Cruz markets this bike. The bike is a perfect mountain bike for people looking to ride trails, not race them. Too much of the industry is all about how fast you can go on a bike. I've very happy with my 5010 and I've never done tricks or big jumps on the bike. It's a very capable trail bike that works really well.
    Thanks for the insight! I really donít care how fast I go and am not a racer just looking to have fun and get some exercise.

mtbr member
    What sort of tires would you consider for FL trails?
    I ride a 2.6" Rekon in the front and a 2.6" Ardent Race in the rear. For my setup and riding, it's perfect. Enough grip for Florida trails yet fast rolling unlike DHF/DHR combos. My last setup was a 2.6" Rekon in the front and a 2.35" Ikon in the rear, also a good setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My tire setup on my v2 is Dissector 2.4 front / Rekon 2.4 rear and it's been so much lighter on its feet than when I had my DHF/Aggressor setup. I'm in Eastern PA. Don't buy into all the hype that you need enduro tires, especially when you'r riding the undulating trails we have in the East Coast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So true... I was looking at this bike for my next trail bike, a step down to my remedy when I want to take it easy and do some climbing. All the review or videos are about jumps, drop gap and doing acrobatics, second guessing buying this bike, I am not the targeted rider I guess...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterSoonerNow View Post
    My tire setup on my v2 is Dissector 2.4 front / Rekon 2.4 rear and it's been so much lighter on its feet than when I had my DHF/Aggressor setup. I'm in Eastern PA. Don't buy into all the hype that you need enduro tires, especially when you'r riding the undulating trails we have in the East Coast.
    Agreed. I'm running specialized eliminator front/ground control rear, both 2.6. Rolls super fast but plenty of grip on all east coast surfaces.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    All the review or videos are about jumps, drop gap and doing acrobatics, second guessing buying this bike, I am not the targeted rider I guess...
    While I don't disagree with the sentiment about the marketing angle, don't read too much into it eh. I'm sure if you believed the hype you'd need to be on a downcountry short travel 29er if you're not ripping laps of the bikepark or jibbing off trees, but there's a lot of people out there riding mid-travel 27.5 trail bikes and having a blast without doing any of the above...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The minion SS also works well as a rear, rolls nice, and has chunky side lugs and silkworm protection.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Looking foward for a regular guy review of this bike.
    Wonder how good/efficient it is at climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anybody know what the ship times are looking like? My dealer said that SC hasnít released open stock and that they are still fulfilling initial back orders. Not sure what that means from an ETA standpoint

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by RxBike View Post
    Anybody know what the ship times are looking like? My dealer said that SC hasnít released open stock and that they are still fulfilling initial back orders. Not sure what that means from an ETA standpoint
    I just placed order for the blue R from my LBS. They said it should arrive around July 7th. I also saw it in stock on competitive cyclist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Large, Loosely Blue Carbon C R-Build will be up at JensonUSA.com very soon... possibly even today or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For info Ive been in touch with SC about the new frame with a couple of specific questions about parts. As a result I know that - The 5010 V4 takes a 46mm fork and will happliy take a 2.6 tyre on a reserve 37 wheel.
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independant Kayak Site. No BS!

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking

mtbr member
    Anybody know what the ship times are looking like?
    Around 12 days (Ī 1 day) for me.

Received word today from my LBS of shipment of my bike. It was ordered on the 17th, maybe the 18th. Today is the 30th and maybe they got word yesterday on the 29th.

Hope this helps,

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by unsponsored View Post
    For info Ive been in touch with SC about the new frame with a couple of specific questions about parts. As a result I know that - The 5010 V4 takes a 46mm fork and will happliy take a 2.6 tyre on a reserve 37 wheel.
    Didnít the v3 take 2.8?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iíd agree 100% my goal on a bike is fun and safety.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Didnít the v3 take 2.8?
    Have 2.6 on mine (actual width 2.5) and there lots of extra space. Sometimes people at SC give wrong answers though. I was told V3 rear rotor minimum was 160, it's 180.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just ordered a medium Raspberry Sorbet frame only at Cal Coast Cycles in San Diego. ETA 9-15-2020. They are prioritizing full builds over frames apparently. When I had called Competitive Cyclist a couple days ago, they said there was no info on frames in their system.
    Last edited by Socalstoic; 07-02-2020 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    EDIT: build spec updated

(3) 2021 Santa Cruz 5010 C S-builds left in stock at JensonUSA, but more coming at some point.

1- Medium Loosely Blue
    1- Medium Raspberry Sorbet
    1- Large Raspberry Sorbet
    Last edited by PJJ205; 07-02-2020 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PJJ205 View Post
    (3) 2021 Santa Cruz 5010 C R-builds left in stock at JensonUSA, but more coming at some point.

1- Medium Loosely Blue
    1- Medium Raspberry Sorbet
    1- Large Raspberry Sorbet
    Im not seeing them on the site?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Around 12 days (Ī 1 day) for me.

Received word today from my LBS of shipment of my bike. It was ordered on the 17th, maybe the 18th. Today is the 30th and maybe they got word yesterday on the 29th.

Hope this helps,
    I ordered a medium X01 build in raspberry sorbet last Thursday. Bike surprisingly showed up today (less than a week). My shop is smaller too. First ride tonight. Definitely need to ride it again but itís still plenty lively! Going to be hard to decide to ride this or the tallboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Check again tomorrow or early Friday morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone wanna sell their purple xl 5010 or black lemme know .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ordered a medium X01 build in raspberry sorbet last Thursday. Bike surprisingly showed up today (less than a week). My shop is smaller too. First ride tonight. Definitely need to ride it again but itís still plenty lively! Going to be hard to decide to ride this or the tallboy
    After a few rides, can you give us your thoughts on how your 5010 compares to your Tallboy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ride report please! How does it climb and handle on technical up and down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Ride report please! How does it climb and handle on technical up and down.
    Also a few pics so to see the color better!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Haha ok gents, I will ride it again this evening and report back. Honestly, my initial impression from ride one was that it felt smoother and more stable than the V3. Still poppy and snappy though. Biggest difference was going from 29 to 27.5 wheels again. I found that I was initially understeering the 5010, but the bars were left at 800mm (a medium sized bike doesn't need 800s ha) and I think that played a lot into it. Chopped them down to 760mm. Taking it back out now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Can someone whoís ordered and received verify the offset on the forks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Alright, here is a "brief" review. It is important to remember that this is not a long term review. I now have three rides on the V4 5010 - medium, CC X01 build, reserve 30s. I ride in Idaho, typically pedaling up 2k feet to turn around go back down some single track. Im going to do it in a few sections - overall impressions, comparison to V3 5010, comparison to the tallboy.

Overall: The bike is fun as hell. Still poppy and playful. Super maneuverable a flicky. Picking lines is super easy and intuitive. Everything that the 5010 has always been. "Fun" is the perfect way to describe the bike for me and I understand that is subjective to whoever is riding it. I've had a massive grin on the downs each day, though...which isn't always the case for me when I ride a 29er.

Climbing: First, if you are going for KOMs, then look elsewhere. There are other lighter and faster pedaling bikes out there. However, it still climbs well and doesn't feel like a slug. I have noticed getting hung up on sharper edges which I attribute to the 27.5 size tires. 29ers just roll better. The climbing position is excellent. It feels just like my tallboy and I find it to be comfortable. The suspension is active in rougher stuff and provided plenty of grip but doesn't bob a ton. I haven't locked out the shock yet. I am not disappointed in how it climbs by any means, but 29ers and my tallboy are a little faster.

Descending: Fun, fun, fun. Not the fastest bike, but that is ok because it wasn't designed to be. The suspension feels dialed (lower VPP is just better than upper VPP - there I said it). More composed than previous iterations, which was the first thing that I noticed when getting into some more rough and technical terrain.

Comparison to V3 5010: Overall, I think the V4 takes the win. Better climbing position and I think it is slightly more efficient than the V3. Note, I have a DHF Exo Grip 2.5 up front and a DHR 2 Exo grip 2.4 on the rear (not the tires that it comes with). With a more XC-ish tire set up, it will of course pedal quicker. I also find that the V4 wonders around the trail less than the V3 - maybe it is in my mind, but the V4 goes where I want it to. As for the downs, definitely as lively and fun as the V3. V4 is more composed and stable though, which I noticed right away. On my V3, I felt like I was getting bounced around the trail more, especially in rough stuff. I haven't felt that way on my V4 yet, I'm sure it will happen based on trail and line selection. I think SC nailed it.....the V4 is more stable but still retains that fun BMX character.

Comparison to tallboy: I almost don't even want to do this because I don't think the bikes are super similar (outside of geo). 29ers are just faster. I haven't clocked anything and I probably won't, but the tallboy feels like a faster climber. That is probably the wheel size. As for the downs, neither bikes are the fastest bikes. The 5010 is more intuitive for me, I feel like I am riding more within the bike whereas I feel slightly more on top of the tallboy. My definition of fun on a MTB is popping off everything, spending time in the air, flicking turns, hopping over stuff, slashing burms etc. etc.....the 5010 is the bike for all of those things. Not saying that the tallboy doesn't do those things, but the 5010 just does those things easier and better. I do love the tallboy, it was my first 29er, and I will not be getting rid of it because of the 5010. I will be riding the tallboy on longer rides and more sustained climbing rides. Either way, it makes me a little sad knowing that one of them has to stay in the garage while the other one gets dirty.

Pictures of my bikes:
    5010 V4 is here.-img_2457.jpg5010 V4 is here.-img_7712.jpg5010 V4 is here.-img_4549.jpg5010 V4 is here.-img_6876.jpg5010 V4 is here.-screen-shot-2020-05-18-1.48.11-pm.jpg5010 V4 is here.-screen-shot-2020-05-18-1.49.46-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nice looking bike! Havenít seen one yet! Is the raspberry red or more towards pink? Looks different on every photo Iíve seen. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    RxBike, thanks for the detailed review. Nice to hear that the 5010 is still a 5010. My demo experience with past Tallboys is also similar to yours, which is why I've stuck with the 5010.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Alright, here is a "brief" review. It is important to remember that this is not a long term review. I now have three rides on the V4 5010 - medium, CC X01 build, reserve 30s. I ride in Idaho, typically pedaling up 2k feet to turn around go back down some single track. Im going to do it in a few sections - overall impressions, comparison to V3 5010, comparison to the tallboy.

Overall: The bike is fun as hell. Still poppy and playful. Super maneuverable a flicky. Picking lines is super easy and intuitive. Everything that the 5010 has always been. "Fun" is the perfect way to describe the bike for me and I understand that is subjective to whoever is riding it. I've had a massive grin on the downs each day, though...which isn't always the case for me when I ride a 29er.

Climbing: First, if you are going for KOMs, then look elsewhere. There are other lighter and faster pedaling bikes out there. However, it still climbs well and doesn't feel like a slug. I have noticed getting hung up on sharper edges which I attribute to the 27.5 size tires. 29ers just roll better. The climbing position is excellent. It feels just like my tallboy and I find it to be comfortable. The suspension is active in rougher stuff and provided plenty of grip but doesn't bob a ton. I haven't locked out the shock yet. I am not disappointed in how it climbs by any means, but 29ers and my tallboy are a little faster.

Descending: Fun, fun, fun. Not the fastest bike, but that is ok because it wasn't designed to be. The suspension feels dialed (lower VPP is just better than upper VPP - there I said it). More composed than previous iterations, which was the first thing that I noticed when getting into some more rough and technical terrain.

Comparison to V3 5010: Overall, I think the V4 takes the win. Better climbing position and I think it is slightly more efficient than the V3. Note, I have a DHF Exo Grip 2.5 up front and a DHR 2 Exo grip 2.4 on the rear (not the tires that it comes with). With a more XC-ish tire set up, it will of course pedal quicker. I also find that the V4 wonders around the trail less than the V3 - maybe it is in my mind, but the V4 goes where I want it to. As for the downs, definitely as lively and fun as the V3. V4 is more composed and stable though, which I noticed right away. On my V3, I felt like I was getting bounced around the trail more, especially in rough stuff. I haven't felt that way on my V4 yet, I'm sure it will happen based on trail and line selection. I think SC nailed it.....the V4 is more stable but still retains that fun BMX character.

Comparison to tallboy: I almost don't even want to do this because I don't think the bikes are super similar (outside of geo). 29ers are just faster. I haven't clocked anything and I probably won't, but the tallboy feels like a faster climber. That is probably the wheel size. As for the downs, neither bikes are the fastest bikes. The 5010 is more intuitive for me, I feel like I am riding more within the bike whereas I feel slightly more on top of the tallboy. My definition of fun on a MTB is popping off everything, spending time in the air, flicking turns, hopping over stuff, slashing burms etc. etc.....the 5010 is the bike for all of those things. Not saying that the tallboy doesn't do those things, but the 5010 just does those things easier and better. I do love the tallboy, it was my first 29er, and I will not be getting rid of it because of the 5010. I will be riding the tallboy on longer rides and more sustained climbing rides. Either way, it makes me a little sad knowing that one of them has to stay in the garage while the other one gets dirty.

Pictures of my bikes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2457.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	538.8 KB 
ID:	1346319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7712.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	1346321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4549.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	1346325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	396.0 KB 
ID:	1346327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.48.11 PM.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	474.7 KB 
ID:	1346333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.49.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	482.6 KB 
ID:	1346335
    Damn that is awesome great pics - throw up some video of riding In Iowa - I imagine that must be a great environment to ride.

3 questions- does it ride high in its travel / pedal striking ?
    2- whatís the widest tire it takes ?
    3- the wheelbase is Hightower like , does it feel like a boat cutting corners ?

Thx

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    Nice looking bike! Havenít seen one yet! Is the raspberry red or more towards pink? Looks different on every photo Iíve seen. Thanks
    I think it is one of those SC colors that depends on the lighting. It looks more pink in direct sun light but more red in the shadows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Damn that is awesome great pics - throw up some video of riding In Iowa - I imagine that must be a great environment to ride.

3 questions- does it ride high in its travel / pedal striking ?
    2- whatís the widest tire it takes ?
    3- the wheelbase is Hightower like , does it feel like a boat cutting corners ?

Thx

I failed to mention that I have been riding it in the "low" position. I haven't noticed any issues with pedal strikes yet. I actually rolled over a big rock that made me surprised that I didn't hit the bottom bracket ha. I tend to do a decent job avoiding pedal strikes though, so experiences may vary depending on the rider.

Not sure about the widest tire that it will take, I could eye ball it later today.

No I don't think it feels like a boat. I've found it to handle the corners really well. Thought it went up switchbacks better than the tallboy as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I found that I was initially understeering the 5010, but the bars were left at 800mm (a medium sized bike doesn't need 800s ha) and I think that played a lot into it. Chopped them down to 760mm. Taking it back out now!
    I just picked up a medium v4 5010. Glad you mentioned the size of the bars, that's really the only complaint I have about the bike, otherwise it's damn near perfect (at least for my needs). Maybe I'm just old school but holy cheese and crackers those 800mm bars feel ridiculously wide to me. I've been reluctant to cut them down thinking maybe I just need to get with the times & I'll get used to it but I'm losing hope that day will come.

Just a few rides so far but I can attest that you don't need to be hucking big air and tricks to enjoy this bike. I'm about as average as they come on a bike, slightly over the hill, not getting any skinnier, younger or prettier and way beyond the days of having any delusions that I'm gonna turn pro with just a little more time It's a super fun, nimble bike which seems to perform quite well in most all types of riding. Are there better downhill bikes? Yup. Better bikes for uphill, for super technical single track? Absolutely. Faster bikes? Oh yeah. But the magic of this bike is in being a bike that does little bit of everything quite well. I just need to find my hack saw to make one small modification.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	396.0 KB 
ID:	1346327

Holy sh!t, the 5010 looks super thick and beefy around the shock/bb area! Interesting to see more "real" pictures rather than the studio shots.

Your Tallboy is damn fine too.

shredthŲgnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Thriller View Post
    I just picked up a medium v4 5010. Glad you mentioned the size of the bars, that's really the only complaint I have about the bike, otherwise it's damn near perfect (at least for my needs). Maybe I'm just old school but holy cheese and crackers those 800mm bars feel ridiculously wide to me. I've been reluctant to cut them down thinking maybe I just need to get with the times & I'll get used to it but I'm losing hope that day will come.

Just a few rides so far but I can attest that you don't need to be hucking big air and tricks to enjoy this bike. I'm about as average as they come on a bike, slightly over the hill, not getting any skinnier, younger or prettier and way beyond the days of having any delusions that I'm gonna turn pro with just a little more time It's a super fun, nimble bike which seems to perform quite well in most all types of riding. Are there better downhill bikes? Yup. Better bikes for uphill, for super technical single track? Absolutely. Faster bikes? Oh yeah. But the magic of this bike is in being a bike that does little bit of everything quite well. I just need to find my hack saw to make one small modification.
    unless ur near 185cm or upwards just cut em. lots of taller dudes also go way narrower. and given thte playful nature of 5010 I dont tthink theres much to benefit from too wide

mtbr member
    I experimented with wide bars on my V3 5010. I'm 5'7", fwiw. Started out at 800mm, because wider is better (or so I keep hearing), they were much too wide. Cut down to 780, still a bit too wide. Cut them down, again, to 755 and that seems to be perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post

Holy sh!t, the 5010 looks super thick and beefy around the shock/bb area! Interesting to see more "real" pictures rather than the studio shots.

Your Tallboy is damn fine too.
    It is by far the beefiest lower VPP bike that I have owned (Bronson, nomad, tallboy, 5010). The bottom bracket below the shock is pretty wide and the shock tunnel is the thickest and widest that I have seen. Makes me wonder if that is going to be the direction that SC goes for the upcoming iterations of their new bikes....doesn't exactly say "weight savings"..

mtbr member
    The thing that catches my eye is the apparent corners or edges along the outside of the shock tunnel. Less smoothly curved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    The thing that catches my eye is the apparent corners or edges along the outside of the shock tunnel. Less smoothly curved.
    I think this looks ugly compared to previous frames, but beauty is specific to the viewer.

LCW
    mtbr member
    It is by far the beefiest lower VPP bike that I have owned (Bronson, nomad, tallboy, 5010). The bottom bracket below the shock is pretty wide and the shock tunnel is the thickest and widest that I have seen. Makes me wonder if that is going to be the direction that SC goes for the upcoming iterations of their new bikes....doesn't exactly say "weight savings"..
    Probably what happens when you decide to offer lifetime warranty... Stuff tends to get overbuilt. They are probably realizing that now and finally updating to suit their policy better.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As geometry evolves, the capabilities of the bikes get pushed out. When you increase those capabilities you gotta strengthen the frame.

My Nomad V3 X01 weighed in at 27ish pounds.

5010 V4 X01 is 29.55 pounds.

Frames are getting beefier!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    V3 does take up to 2.8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    I think this looks ugly compared to previous frames, but beauty is specific to the viewer.
    Thereís probably someone out there that likes the look of that raw metal Tesla truck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    Right there with you. Someone will have to pry my V3 from my cold, dead hands. To each their own, though. I do like the colors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I don't know if it might save someone a few $$, but I was chasing the rear shock setup on my v3 (dpx2 kashima) and I picked up a CC Air IL, and wow, I am pretty sure I don't have it dailed in yet, but it's really smooth, like I thought I had a flat tire first ride smooth. It also seems to magically retained the poppyness. Once I spend more time on it, I'll swap back to back and let you know, but I was seriously considering stepping up to a bronson before trying this shock. So if you have a v3 already and are envious of the lower link plushness, maybe try a new shock first.

mtbr member
    Makes me wonder if that is going to be the direction that SC goes for the upcoming iterations of their new bikes....doesn't exactly say "weight savings"..
    Who knows, larger diameter may equal similar strength and better rigidity with the same amount of material. I'm sure we all thought the same when fat tubed aluminium frames stated getting popular in the 90s!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Climbing

I have a 2019 Hightower CS, I love the bike but I have to climb 2,800-3,500 feet of elevation where I live to get a good 14-mile ride in. Do that 3-4 times a week and the old legs are dying. That's a lot of climbing for a short, late 50s stocky guy. I love my Hightower but would like something lighter/more efficient and easier to maneuver to haul up these hills. Does this new 5010 climb no better or worse than the 2019 Hightower? The 27.5 tire is nimbler and easier to move around for a shorter person like me, but will it make climbing any better with the new VPP and steeper seat angle? I almost pulled the trigger on the 5010 a year and a half ago because I felt I was part of the bike, but got talked into "more travel" and the "superior" 29er wheel. In comparison, I have on order the new YT Izzo Pro Race coming in at 26.4 lbs with 130mm/130mm and is supposed to be livelier than my Hightower, but it's still a 29er. Yeah, two different styles and it's another month from being shipped and I c an get the 5010 this week. Am I drifting too much towards being a weight-weenie all a sudden?
    Last edited by reb4; 07-08-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    My wife and I had us on order 2- 5010's V3 R+ alloy build. We stretch our budget for this. But we are OUT now that it starts at $4K. I cant see us spending over 8k for the 2 bikes. This style bike was perfect for me. Now i'm up for other suggestions. I would like to support my LBS. They sell (Trek/Scott/SC/cannondale. The other LBS has Specialized/Giant) Any suggestions? Budget is $3500/each
    My brother-in-law and my sister were in the same boat. They ended buying this Trance Advanced 2 for $3,100 in 27.5+ and she bought the Liv women's version of it and they are happy as can be. It's Carbon or carbon hybrid for that price, so check it out https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-advanced-2

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reb4 View Post
    I have a 2019 Hightower CS, I love the bike but I have to climb 2,800-3,500 feet of elevation where I live to get a good 14-mile ride in. Do that 3-4 times a week and the old legs are dying. That's a lot of climbing for a short, late 50s stocky guy. I love my Hightower but would like something lighter/more efficient and easier to maneuver to haul up these hills. Does this new 5010 climb no better or worse than the 2019 Hightower? The 27.5 tire is nimbler and easier to move around for a shorter person like me, but will it make climbing any better with the new VPP and steeper seat angle? I almost pulled the trigger on the 5010 a year and a half ago because I felt I was part of the bike, but got talked into "more travel" and the "superior" 29er wheel. In comparison, I have on order the new YT Izzo Pro Race coming in at 26.4 lbs with 130mm/130mm and is supposed to be livelier than my Hightower, but it's still a 29er. Yeah, two different styles and it's another month from being shipped and I c an get the 5010 this week. Am I drifting too much towards being a weight-weenie all a sudden?
    The part about almost getting a 5010 because you "felt like part of the bike" is really all you needed to say. I can't speak to the V4, but that feeling is exactly why I got my V3. All the other bikes I tried were 29ers and felt like I was a passenger instead of the driver.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    The part about almost getting a 5010 because you "felt like part of the bike" is really all you needed to say. I can't speak to the V4, but that feeling is exactly why I got my V3. All the other bikes I tried were 29ers and felt like I was a passenger instead of the driver.
    Curious if you tried the TB3 or newer. I felt that way about 29ers too including the TB1 and 2, then I tried the 3 which I ended up buying and mostly loving. Only complaint is it doesn't jump/drop as well as my longer travel 27.5. It's more a roll and pump bike, probably because of the short travel.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Curious if you tried the TB3 or newer. I felt that way about 29ers too including the TB1 and 2, then I tried the 3 which I ended up buying and mostly loving. Only complaint is it doesn't jump/drop as well as my longer travel 27.5. It's more a roll and pump bike, probably because of the short travel.
    I did try the new tall boy. Actually had the first ride on the demo my dealer has. Nice bike, but didn't feel as nimble as I wanted. I was riding Canfield hardtails with super short chainstays for 7 years and the 5010 was the only thing that had that BMX bike feel I like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Can someone whoís ordered and received verify the offset on the forks?
    the sticker on the fork claims that the offset is 46

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    SC confirmed 46 fork offset to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    the sticker on the fork claims that the offset is 46
    Interesting!

mtbr member
    5010 V4 is here.-img_0879.jpg

New bike day!

5010 CC X01 Reserve L in Loosely Blue. Picked it up a few days ago from Peak Sports. Only changes from stock are blue Ergon GE1 grips, Shimano Saint brakes with 203F/180R rotors, plus a pair of Crankbrothers Mallet E LS pedals, in blue of course.

The blue doesn't quite "pop" like the photo I uploaded in person and to my eye is more of a turquoise than, say the pink/blue Nomad from 2014 that I used to own.

First ride was 16mi in the McDonald Forest outside Corvallis (photo from atop McCulloch Peak). About 3200ft of climbing up various gravel roads, all descending on trails.

Everything feels dialed, and rides essentially like a smaller version of my Nomad (without coil obviously). I only noticed a hiccup from the whole "long low slack" change compared to my old 5010 v2 once, right at a narrow/awkward/slow spot on a very old-school (I'm talking 1990s) fall-line XC trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Looks great that blue! How tall are you? Iím between sizes L/XL 6,1 35 leg and have just sold my XL tallboy3 with 475mm reach! Not sure Iíd want to go up to 500mm on the 5010 XL. I saw the raspberry sorbet Size large at my lbs and didnít know what to make of the colour! Didnít dislike it but it didnít stand out! Didnít have a test ride or see the blue! Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    Looks great that blue! How tall are you?
    6ft even, 32in inseam. I'm also on a L Nomad (v4). The 5010 has 15mm more reach and a 2.7deg steeper seat tube angle, but the distance from the nose of my saddle to the center of the bars is the same on both my bikes. Both bikes fit me very much the same when I'm seated or standing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

New bike day!

5010 CC X01 Reserve L in Loosely Blue. Picked it up a few days ago from Peak Sports. Only changes from stock are blue Ergon GE1 grips, Shimano Saint brakes with 203F/180R rotors, plus a pair of Crankbrothers Mallet E LS pedals, in blue of course.

The blue doesn't quite "pop" like the photo I uploaded in person and to my eye is more of a turquoise than, say the pink/blue Nomad from 2014 that I used to own.

First ride was 16mi in the McDonald Forest outside Corvallis (photo from atop McCulloch Peak). About 3200ft of climbing up various gravel roads, all descending on trails.

Everything feels dialed, and rides essentially like a smaller version of my Nomad (without coil obviously). I only noticed a hiccup from the whole "long low slack" change compared to my old 5010 v2 once, right at a narrow/awkward/slow spot on a very old-school (I'm talking 1990s) fall-line XC trail.
    That is one great looking bike. Congratulations on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just build my new 5010. i am loving the new frame, the shapes are so sexy 😍 and the colour is great.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5010 V4 is here.-5502fc2a-011c-4bca-8809-cb3b2aa5e80f.jpg  

5010 V4 is here.-45211f74-2042-48ae-9e24-cc6a404516d0.jpg  

mtbr member
    teknik, my LBS couldnít get a frame-only order. Did you get one, or did you swap parts to build yours?

Northshore, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The shop I bought this bike ordered a fully XO1 Kit and I only took the frame and the Fork and swapped everything else from my 5010V3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tekknik View Post
    Just build my new 5010. i am loving the new frame, the shapes are so sexy and the colour is great.

Awesome looking bike love the colour

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Delays

I ordered through my lbs and was supposed to ship two weeks ago, then last week, now they are saying it is shipping this week, anyone else seeing delays or long waits on their 5010?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I ordered through my lbs and was supposed to ship two weeks ago, then last week, now they are saying it is shipping this week, anyone else seeing delays or long waits on their 5010?
    It's typical with a new release, some shops get them when expected, and some don't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bike releases get behind during normal times(especially if the bike is popular).....add in Covid and its gets delayed more.

Buddy of mine just bought from a different brand, but its a popular model. They are telling him September.......he bought it in June.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I ordered a 5010 mid June and it arrived about 10 days later. Ordered a Furtado for the wife at the same time and we've been getting the same story from Santa Cruz/Juliana as you. They've been saying "this week" for about 3 weeks now. I guess I was just really lucky getting the 5010 quickly. Waiting for a bike is like dog years, one day feels like one year.

If I could just remember where the hell I left my chew toy I'd feel better.

mtbr member
    anyone else seeing delays or long waits on their 5010?
    Mine took about 4 weeks from when I placed the order to my local bike shop to when I had the bike in my hands. I had some work done on the bike so some of that delay was likely the turnaround time once it landed in the shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Sizing

Sounds like shipments are quite unpredictable. While I am waiting, I was also second guessing the size I chose, Im 5í9 and went with a Medium, i rode the med at the shop it felt okay but now not sure. Anyone else in between?

mtbr member

5'11" here

At 5'11" I ride a large 5010. My son is 6' and bought a used medium Heckler and aside from changing the stem, has no issues with the fit. I've been using his bike this week and the change from large to medium was seamless for me too.

For your size, the medium should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Sounds like shipments are quite unpredictable. While I am waiting, I was also second guessing the size I chose, Im 5í9 and went with a Medium, i rode the med at the shop it felt okay but now not sure. Anyone else in between?
    I'm 5'9" and have a medium. The medium feels great to me. A large might work if a 5'9" rider has long arms. The way I see it though is the purpose of the 5010 is a bike they market as being nimble, poppy and in their words "Feels (almost) like the BMX bike you had as a kid". Seems like a bigger frame might not feel as nimble and "BMXey". However in the end it's most important to get the size that feels right to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    For those that have been riding the V4....have any of you noticed a clicking noise/ creak coming from the rear end? It is pretty rhythmic and is worse when pedaling under load (steeps). Also happens seated or standing, so I don't believe it is the seat or post collar. I have cleaned and re-greased everything that needs grease to no avail.

I get it, "mountain bikes always make noise"....but none of my other santa cruzs do and this bike is brand new, so I find it pretty annoying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For those that have been riding the V4....have any of you noticed a clicking noise/ creak coming from the rear end? It is pretty rhythmic and is worse when pedaling under load (steeps). Also happens seated or standing, so I don't believe it is the seat or post collar. I have cleaned and re-greased everything that needs grease to no avail.

I get it, "mountain bikes always make noise"....but none of my other santa cruzs do and this bike is brand new, so I find it pretty annoying.
    My Bronson V3 did this when new. It was very annoying for a brand new bike. It did eventually go away. I believe it was the Super Deluxe.

mtbr member
    No such noise from my 5010, after a few rides so far.

My v4 Nomad did this. Most often when pedaling DH for speed in smallest cog. Kind of a creak with every pedal stroke.

Shop couldnít find the issue. Eventually the freehub died; I noticed it when going to wash the bike and the cassette wobbled off-axis to the touch. Shifting had been unreliable on the ride just prior. When I took it in and my tech saw it he actually yelled ďDude. Holy shit!!!!Ē Took about 8 weeks to get the warranty freehub, no damage to any other drivetrain parts.

Works great now and the noise that bothered me for a year is gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I chased a noise years ago and it turned out to be the plug used to mate the wheel hoop ends during manufacturing. This plug slides between the spoke holes inside the hoop depending where it is clocked as it rotates. I found it very strange but apparently it's not uncommon at all. When climbing I hear it all the time, when I speed up it appears centrifugal force holds it in place. Good luck, I hate chasing noises.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone running a 150mm fork on a 5010 V4?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Bike wait

Still waiting on my 5010 cs turq that I ordered 8 wks ago, was supposed to ship 7 weeks ago. My bike shop cant seem to get any info from santa cruz. Anyone else experiencing this? Thinking about cancelling and ordering an ibis mojo online, anyone have any experience with the mojo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Still waiting on my 5010 cs turq that I ordered 8 wks ago, was supposed to ship 7 weeks ago. My bike shop cant seem to get any info from santa cruz. Anyone else experiencing this? Thinking about cancelling and ordering an ibis mojo online, anyone have any experience with the mojo?
    Heard from a dealer in Canada a week or two ago that they were supposed to start quoting March 2021 as the availability date of all SC frames. Not sure if that also applied to complete builds as well.

mtbr member
    The shop I bought this bike ordered a fully XO1 Kit and I only took the frame and the Fork and swapped everything else from my 5010V3.
    Did you weight the frame before you built it?
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    Did you weight the frame before you built it?
    No sorry I didn't weight the frame but the new build with all the components from the old bike, except the new Pike replacing the fox34, weights 400g more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Just build my new 5010. i am loving the new frame, the shapes are so sexy  and the colour is great.

I think that's just a lovely bike. Surprised that some folks think otherwise, but beauty is indeed subjective.

Shartacular Spectacular

I canít say for certain which carbon products are produced in the same factory, but there is evidence to suggest Ibis and Santa Cruz (and Enve for that matter) both receive shipments from Skybox in Taiwan. As such I wonder if they split a production schedule and if/how the pandemic / potentially sharing production time affects these things...
    18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Delay

Just heard back on my 5010 cs that was supposed 8 wks, new ship date is first week of October, had to cancel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone running a 150mm fork on a 5010 V4?
    I'll answer my own question as I have done it. 150mm Lyrik fitted to a large V4 5010 with a 40mm Renthal Stem and 800mm wide bars. Climbs really well. Lyrik feels much better than the 2019 Fox 36 Grip 2 I had on the V3.

Happy so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have a CC Xo1, medium, red....planning to sell it. Only been on the bike 5 times. It isn't getting the love it deserves. If anybody is interested, message me. Asking $5500.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What size 5010 would you recommend for 5í9? Iíve seen the new bike is slightly larger then previous years

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Loskey View Post
    What size 5010 would you recommend for 5í9? Iíve seen the new bike is slightly larger then previous years
    You are right on the board line. I'd demo a Medium and see how it feels.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You are right on the board line. I'd demo a Medium and see how it feels.

Just re-measured myself with my cycling shoes on and Iím 5 10 which is 177. Iíve tried the large and it felt ok but was a short ride . The shop didnít have a medium which is frustrating.

I have a v2 5010 in medium and that definitely feels cramped

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just re-measured myself with my cycling shoes on and Iím 5 10 which is 177. Iíve tried the large and it felt ok but was a short ride . The shop didnít have a medium which is frustrating.

Then I'd go large. It will feel more stable at speed and as long as you don't feel too stretched out you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I know that some people are still waiting for their 5010 to show up and are canceling orders.... so here is the link to mine that is for sale on pinkbike. It is in 10/10 condition. Let me know if you are interested or if you know someone that might be!

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/jferroRx/buysell/

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

I'm 5 9, without shoes, and I ride a large V3. It feels good to me, but I think I could ride a medium as well. I would be tempted to go with a medium in the V4 just because of the longer wheel base since my local trails have some tight turns. I'm not a geometry expert, but if you look at the geometry for the V2, V3, and V4, the effective top tube length is pretty similar. The reach is what's getting bigger in each version. From my understanding, the seated position should feel similar between versions, but there will be more room when standing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ugadawg View Post
    I'm 5 9, without shoes, and I ride a large V3. It feels good to me, but I think I could ride a medium as well. I would be tempted to go with a medium in the V4 just because of the longer wheel base since my local trails have some tight turns. I'm not a geometry expert, but if you look at the geometry for the V2, V3, and V4, the effective top tube length is pretty similar. The reach is what's getting bigger in each version. From my understanding, the seated position should feel similar between versions, but there will be more room when standing.
    I could have written this exact post, I agree.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    I'll answer my own question as I have done it. 150mm Lyrik fitted to a large V4 5010 with a 40mm Renthal Stem and 800mm wide bars. Climbs really well. Lyrik feels much better than the 2019 Fox 36 Grip 2 I had on the V3.

Happy so far.
    Hi unsponsored, which body size you have? I`m 5`11 or 180 cm. On a testride two weeks ago I felt like the large was a tiny little to small.

Also, I felt that in stock suspension the 140 fork and damper is rather harsh for my trails. I will buy the frame and go for a 150 pike or lyrik as well. Maybe even try to swap the damper for one with 55mm stroke.

Is it possible to measure the seat angle from bb up to the saddle mount -for your rider hight? Using my phone app I get a quite reliable value. Sorry to ask such a picky question, but it would be great to know about the seat angle for real life saddle hight

Coffee Drinker
    Just got tracking numbers on a C S 5010, still waiting for the XO1 5010 to ship.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by schlegus View Post
    Hi unsponsored, which body size you have? I`m 5`11 or 180 cm. On a testride two weeks ago I felt like the large was a tiny little to small.

Also, I felt that in stock suspension the 140 fork and damper is rather harsh for my trails. I will buy the frame and go for a 150 pike or lyrik as well. Maybe even try to swap the damper for one with 55mm stroke.

Is it possible to measure the seat angle from bb up to the saddle mount -for your rider hight? Using my phone app I get a quite reliable value. Sorry to ask such a picky question, but it would be great to know about the seat angle for real life saddle hight
    Sounds like you want a bronson?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    6ft1"

I'm running a 40mm stem and 800mm bars. 20mm of spacers under the stem. Lyrik is 2021 150mm model.

I have had large SC bikes but they have progressively been getting bigger.

Large SC 5010 V2 with a Fox 36 140mm
    Large SC 5010 V3 with a Fox 36 140mm
    Large SC 5010 V4 with a RS Lyrik 150mm

I don't find it small at all.

I'll have a go at getting an angle for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Idea! 2020 vs 2021 dilemma

Need some wisdom from the experienced

actually happy with my st 29er and wanting to add the diversity of a nice 27.5
    want to stay st...needs to be quick and pop

my choices are 3...each around 5k
    1. mojo 4
    2. 2021 5010 C S
    3. 2020 5010 cc xo1 with 37 mm reserves...lightly used demo
    do not have an opportunity to ride the mojo, but have ridden the 5010s
    actually preferred the spirit of the 2020 a little more but am worried about:
    a. No warranty on a demo
    b. Those big rims if I want to tuna little skinnier rubber

advice? Anyone run <2.5 rubber on those 37mm reserves?

thanks in advance
    AJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonte541 View Post
    Need some wisdom from the experienced

actually happy with my st 29er and wanting to add the diversity of a nice 27.5
    want to stay st...needs to be quick and pop

my choices are 3...each around 5k
    1. mojo 4
    2. 2021 5010 C S
    3. 2020 5010 cc xo1 with 37 mm reserves...lightly used demo
    do not have an opportunity to ride the mojo, but have ridden the 5010s
    actually preferred the spirit of the 2020 a little more but am worried about:
    a. No warranty on a demo
    b. Those big rims if I want to tuna little skinnier rubber

thanks in advance
    AJ
    Most shops can still give warranties on demo bikes, you should check if they can.

Coffee Drinker
    Assembled and got to 'test ride' a new CS 5010 today! I'm in love!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Sounds like you want a bronson?
    suspension-wise yep, a Bronson would fit..But, Iīd like to go with a steep seat angle, which the current Bronson does not have.. and new 2022 Bronson will likely have a too slack head angle for the terrain I ride.. So bumping up the 5010`suspension could give the best of both worlds -hopefully

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by schlegus View Post
    suspension-wise yep, a Bronson would fit..But, Iīd like to go with a steep seat angle, which the current Bronson does not have.. and new 2022 Bronson will likely have a too slack head angle for the terrain I ride.. So bumping up the 5010`suspension could give the best of both worlds -hopefully
    9point 8 released a headset called slack-r you can run it backwards and steepen the head angle, but it adds 10mm of lower stack, otherwise it seems to work well. I installed it on my v3 5010.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonte541 View Post

AJ
    Plenty of people running maxxis 2.4WT tires on rims that wide. Haven't seen any complaints. Honestly though, you may want to get 2.6s if you buy the bike. My specialized 2.6 tires measure a true 2.5, which is perfect goldilocks size for me.

Main thing is, if you think you prefer the more compact nature of the 2020, and the price is a good discount, go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Well if any of you guys are looking for a size M 5010 C S build, in loosely blue, let me know. Bike has around 60 miles of ride on it. Still spankin' new and upgrading the levers to the code RSC's.

I'm contemplating of letting it go with a baby on the way (and upgrade to a bike with a bit more travel for my riding style once I can get time to ride again).

Nov 2005
    Got mine 5010 V4 for over 3 weeks now. Have tested the stock 140/130 setting and the extended 150/143 setting by fitting a 150mm fork as well as removing the travel spacer in the stock super deluxe ultimate to make it 55mm stroke.

The rear tire does not contact the frame or the saddle at full bottom out with 55mm stroke shock. The added travel does make this bike a true all rounder. The bike is still a very supportive ride works well for a 84kg active rider not sure for lighter rider. It might be too harsh of a ride.

So stock 140/130 vs extended 150/143. If you mostly ride flow trail the stock 140/130 is the best. The extended 150/143 setting can pretty much replace the current Bronson V3. It is more responsive and pedals better than Bronson v3. Bronson is probably still better at the rougher stuff but I do not miss it.

Also note, 5010 is a very response ride. For it work on rough trails. It requires a active riding style and proper braking technique. As soon as you slow down or try to brake while your in the rough, on the rocks or roots it will become a harsh ride ie not very forgiving. However if you are charging or can maintain good speed over rough, it is a very rewarding the supportive ride.

As to sizing. I think these days unless you are at the extreme ends of the size chart, most people can fit either 2 or 3 sizes depending on your riding preference.

At 6" 2.5 with shoes I can fit XL, L and M. XL is a relax fit, straight lining charge, L is in middle and M is a performance fit, crazy responsive, trick off any side hit.