Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-28ba90fa-37d5-479e-92cc-6659749b5f03.jpg

X2 mounted in large frame. Tried both lo and hi settings. Plenty of clearance top and bottom. Itís the sides that are very close. There is only enough space for me to slide a sticker in between the shock can and frame. I took the air out and cycled the suspension. Does not touch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithr1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28BA90FA-37D5-479E-92CC-6659749B5F03.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1225266

X2 mounted in large frame. Tried both lo and hi settings. Plenty of clearance top and bottom. Itís the sides that are very close. There is only enough space for me to slide a sticker in between the shock can and frame. I took the air out and cycled the suspension. Does not touch.
    Wow, a sticker thickness of clearance, that is close. I would be surprised if they even had that little of tolerance in manufacturing of the carbon frame. So I would guess that itís quite possible that it wouldnít fit on some frames , unless yours was at the very bottom of the shunnel width tolerance. Will be interesting to see if there is any rub from frame/linkage flex once you have ridden it hard a few times.
    Is great to see people taking the risk to try these changes even though they arenít factory sanctioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    This not the XV can?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well I got it out in the end.. It was seized... SC UK told me they've had the same issue and its Down to the loctite getting on the shaft... I had to dismantle everything to get it out..

But it also got rid of the horrib cracking noise too so not too bad

Every bolt and shaft I took out had hardly any grease on at all

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Also does anyone know where to get touch up pens/paint for SC... I've chipped mine removing the upper link as it's caught on my chain guide which is annoying

It looks very similar to yeti turquoise to my eyes

Is a matte touch pot even possible?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thatís great news, and yip factory assembly could do with some improvements as you and I have found.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone here have experience with the new aluminum version of the Bronson?

I am considering one, but somewhat worried about weight and having only carbon bikes as of late, wondering if I would regret it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
    Anyone here have experience with the new aluminum version of the Bronson?

I am considering one, but somewhat worried about weight and having only carbon bikes as of late, wondering if I would regret it.
    I have an alloy frame on order; supposed to show up mid December. I've seen enough cracked carbon frames (not the new Bronson) to not want to risk one blowing up on me in the backcountry. Small likelyhood, but it's there. I also hate waiting for warranties (not that I haven't had issues with warranties on alloy frames). I've ridden alloy and carbon versions of the same frame for a couple of different bikes, and the weight difference wasn't really noticeable to me - YMMV; not nearly as much as adding/subtracting weight to tires/rims etc. It might be different if I was still at the racing weight I was in my 20s, but my 42 year old DHer body that likes food a little too much makes way more of a difference than 1-2 pounds of frame weight. One more factor is I tend to swap frames every year, and the loss on resale for carbon tends to be higher than alloy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    I have an alloy frame on order; supposed to show up mid December. I've seen enough cracked carbon frames (not the new Bronson) to not want to risk one blowing up on me in the backcountry. Small likelyhood, but it's there. I also hate waiting for warranties (not that I haven't had issues with warranties on alloy frames). I've ridden alloy and carbon versions of the same frame for a couple of different bikes, and the weight difference wasn't really noticeable to me - YMMV; not nearly as much as adding/subtracting weight to tires/rims etc. It might be different if I was still at the racing weight I was in my 20s, but my 42 year old DHer body that likes food a little too much makes way more of a difference than 1-2 pounds of frame weight. One more factor is I tend to swap frames every year, and the loss on resale for carbon tends to be higher than alloy.
    One more thing to mention - the alloy frame/bikes come with the R version of the Super Deluxe. If you want more adjustment you'll need another shock. I bought an RCT off a forum member that I'll probably wind up having custom valved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    If your buying carbon purely for weight savings you are missing out on a lot of other benefits too, and to be honest it is easier to repair a carbon frame than a broken alloy one. But each to there own and I totally here you on the price aspect, these bikes are getting ridiculously expensive these days, just wish I could kick the habit !. Anyone keen to start a BA (bike addict) help group 😆

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    If your buying carbon purely for weight savings you are missing out on a lot of other benefits too, and to be honest it is easier to repair a carbon frame than a broken alloy one. But each to there own and I totally here you on the price aspect, these bikes are getting ridiculously expensive these days, just wish I could kick the habit !. Anyone keen to start a BA (bike addict) help group
    Cost is really on a factor to me in terms of resale value. I'd pay the same amount of money for aluminum as a carbon frame if I had to. Alloy generally dents and doesn't get weaker as it gets scratched, you can't say the same about carbon. I would buy a carbon road or XC bike, just not a AM, enduro or DH bike. That said, lots of people like carbon which I totally get. It's a good time to be a bike nut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Can someone please confirm what type of Bottom Bracket and Crankset I need for a 2019 Carbon CC Frame?

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    73mm threaded bottom bracket as it should be. Whatever crank fits your BB

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    73mm threaded bottom bracket as it should be. Whatever crank fits your BB
    Thx, will the DUB version work?

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
    Thx, will the DUB version work?
    Absolutely, thatís what mine came with

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    68/73mm threaded bb and Boost crankset

mtbr member
    So i just picked up my medium bronson CC, i can confirm that the 170mm oneup dropper does not fit in at full insertion, at max insertion there is still 51mm left between seat clamp and post collar. And how tight the internal routing is it doesnt play super nice with how the oneup dropper actuates the mechanism.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bret56 View Post
    So i just picked up my medium bronson CC, i can confirm that the 170mm oneup dropper does not fit in at full insertion, at max insertion there is still 51mm left between seat clamp and post collar. And how tight the internal routing is it doesnt play super nice with how the oneup dropper actuates the mechanism.
    170mm on a medium?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Anyone figure out the knock on the shock mounts? Mine was louder than a maracas earlier.

mtbr member
    Yes, had a 170 oneup on my medium range and it was slammed to collar. But will not fit in the bronson due to the shock tunnel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The only dropper that would fit "flash" with the seat collar on size Medium would be 125mm. Any other dropper would be sticking out.

For other sizes, add or subtract the delta in seat tube between your frame size and medium to figure out what will fit.

mtbr member
    CC Frame with maxle and super deluxe is 7.3lbs

mtbr member
    Yup, got out for a ride today on my lyrik rct3 170mm. Swapped it from my other bike. Feels super planted, doesnt wander, and front end does not pull up on climbs at all. May drop it to 160 but on the fence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dreys View Post
    The only dropper that would fit "flash" with the seat collar on size Medium would be 125mm. Any other dropper would be sticking out.

For other sizes, add or subtract the delta in seat tube between your frame size and medium to figure out what will fit.
    I take it by 'flash' (maybe you meant flush), you mean at maximum insertion you can insert a dropper. It that correct?

I demoed a medium with a 150 dropper and no issues, but I did have the saddle raised up quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yup, got out for a ride today on my lyrik rct3 170mm. Swapped it from my other bike. Feels super planted, doesnt wander, and front end does not pull up on climbs at all. May drop it to 160 but on the fence.
    Wondering people thoughts pros/cons on a 170 vs 160 for this bike. I have a Fox36 170 ill be throwing on my V3 soon here.

mtbr member
    What is everyone finding for the sweet spot for sag? Im 185 with gear and find the 30% it bottoms out on biggger drops, having to run around 190-200psi to not bottom which puts me between 25-27.5% sag.

I know santa cruz recomends 200psi for 180lb rider, just curious if anyone played around with valving/tunes or more or less spacers.

(Added a knar dog spacer but at 30% still bottoms)
    Last edited by bret56; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Twinning today, got some hero dirt in socal this thanksgiving weekend

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Finally done, Now just need some dry weather.

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-8638ee19-2e78-418c-9899-77d59be6c554.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Help needed. Santa Cruz website is down so I can't get to the tech specs of Bronson 3. Anyone know the torque specs of the shock mounting bolt (hi/lo bolt), and the rear triangle bolt and compression thing?

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alecd View Post
    Help needed. Santa Cruz website is down so I can't get to the tech specs of Bronson 3. Anyone know the torque specs of the shock mounting bolt (hi/lo bolt), and the rear triangle bolt and compression thing?

Hi low bolt and this guy. Or even better anyone have a copy of the b3 tech spec pdf?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Finally done, Now just need some dry weather.

Name:	8638EE19-2E78-418C-9899-77D59BE6C554.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	1226051
    Looks great! What is that where the bottle cage would go? Planning on getting a medium and want to make sure a bottle cage and at least a small bottle will fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CO Chris View Post
    Looks great! What is that where the bottle cage would go? Planning on getting a medium and want to make sure a bottle cage and at least a small bottle will fit.
    Yes it does. Have a medium and a bottle cage and large bottle fit no porblem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-923e873d-6756-44a5-9d33-ec9c8953960d.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-cca70415-5ebc-484c-8da7-c7d041391537.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CO Chris View Post
    Fidlock bottle attachment, is XL frame so plenty of room for a large bottle. They arenít cheap but youíll never loose a bottle and it gives the frame a clean look when not in use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anybody running the DPX2 ? If so how does it feel. I am looking at building one up with fox36 fit 4 forks and potentially a dpx2 would be a good match ? Any thoughts

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Heads up for people interested in a coilshock, extreme shox will be checking to see if the storia lok, and or Arma will fit on the Bronson this week.

mtbr member
    Heads up for people interested in a coilshock, extreme shox will be checking to see if the storia lok, and or Arma will fit on the Bronson this week.
    Interesting

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It will fit. The spring will be tighter than a Cane Creek vat spring or a Fox SLS though.

mtbr member
    This new Bronson is an absolute weapon on the trail. Only have a few wet rides on it now but it is so much fun being on this bike compared to some others im coming off of.
    2019 Santa Cruz Bronson CC XO1

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Added a DVO onyx sc and Topaz. Made this allready great bike even better.

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-154957.jpgThe 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-154933.jpgThe 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-154920.jpgThe 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-155008.jpgThe 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-155029.jpgThe 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-155039.jpgThe 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img-20181127-154943.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
    Anybody running the DPX2 ? If so how does it feel. I am looking at building one up with fox36 fit 4 forks and potentially a dpx2 would be a good match ? Any thoughts
    I finally got my hands on one a few weeks ago. I have always been a fan of the X2 but was not willing to risk the warranty on this bike. Figured the DPX2 was going to be the next best thing. I find it more active than the RS and more controlled. I know most people say the RS is great but it never felt good on my bike (maybe something was wrong with mine). I am running it with a Fox 36 GRIP2 and think it is a good match.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iridepnw View Post
    I finally got my hands on one a few weeks ago. I have always been a fan of the X2 but was not willing to risk the warranty on this bike. Figured the DPX2 was going to be the next best thing. I find it more active than the RS and more controlled. I know most people say the RS is great but it never felt good on my bike (maybe something was wrong with mine). I am running it with a Fox 36 GRIP2 and think it is a good match.
    Don't like my rs either so i ordered a jade coil since my lbs didnt want me to build a dhx 2 for my bronson

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Never owned a 29er but now that I live in SoCal considering a Hightower. Anybody ridden both the Hightower (not LT) and the new Bronson and want to give feedback?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Never owned a 29er but now that I live in SoCal considering a Hightower. Anybody ridden both the Hightower (not LT) and the new Bronson and want to give feedback?
    I've spent a good amount of time on both. The new Bronson is significantly better downhill, especially in the chunder, and also climbs technical trails better. This is almost entirely due to the new VPP suspension that's borrowed from the Nomad (and v10 before that), I also found the stock shock on the HT to be total garbage while the RS Super Deluxe on the Bronson is pretty stellar. The HT does climb smoother singletrack more efficiently though. The Bronson is a bit more playful in my opinion but I think the HT would make a better all around bike. With that said, I wouldn't buy a HT as it's a pretty dated model from SC. If you're stuck on a mid travel 29er I'd check out the SB-130 from Yeti or maybe an Evil Offering, both just came out and would fit the bill.

Another review of the Bronson here https://www.switchbacktravel.com/rev...a-cruz-bronson. Full disclosure, I wrote it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. Currently on a Turner RFX 4.0 love the bike but would like a little steeper seat tube. The Bronson's geo. is about perfect on paper for the changes I might be looking for. Being in the SoCal desert now I was considering a short travel 29er. But if I did that I would still want a longer travel Enduro/Park bike (Nomad). Ideally 3-4 bikes would be ideal and that would include something for the road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Great read . Been waiting three months for mine canít wait

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SwitchbackTravel View Post
    I've spent a good amount of time on both. The new Bronson is significantly better downhill, especially in the chunder, and also climbs technical trails better. This is almost entirely due to the new VPP suspension that's borrowed from the Nomad (and v10 before that), I also found the stock shock on the HT to be total garbage while the RS Super Deluxe on the Bronson is pretty stellar. The HT does climb smoother singletrack more efficiently though. The Bronson is a bit more playful in my opinion but I think the HT would make a better all around bike. With that said, I wouldn't buy a HT as it's a pretty dated model from SC. If you're stuck on a mid travel 29er I'd check out the SB-130 from Yeti or maybe an Evil Offering, both just came out and would fit the bill.

Another review of the Bronson here https://www.switchbacktravel.com/rev...a-cruz-bronson. Full disclosure, I wrote it.
    Thanks for the review. I have been waiting for someone to write a review that was honest and informative, and yours seems to be both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    ^^^ For some reason, I thought that they used to post that it was a medium frame, but this could just be the margarita sunday talking.
    I just threw my large bike on the scale and its .44 lbs heavier than what Santa Cruz lists, so I would say this is accurate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks, and I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. The medium Bronson C "S" build I reviewed came in at 30.69 pounds on my Feedback Sports scale, which is 0.13 pounds heavier than what Santa Cruz has listed on their site. I'd say that's pretty spot on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just took my maiden voyage on my Bronson and there is no way I can say anything informative except that at 5í10Ē with a 31Ē inseam on a size large the bike needs a 170mm dropper. I have >35mm of post showing above the seat clamp with the 150mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Update: Finally got the Ohlins TTX fitted to my XL Bronson. The older standard springs with the larger OD are unlikely to fit as there is an only a few mm of clearance around the lightweight spring.

Only had a couple of riders on it so far. Initial impressions are that there is no detriment to its climbing ability even when spinning up long fire road climbs. Descending it is more supportive in the mid strokes, bike is still quite poppy. I would like it slightly more plush in the initial part of the travel, I think this is partially as Iím running a 525lb spring and I reckon I could really do with a 10-15lb lighter spring but the next step down is 502lbs which I suspect will be a be soft.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by one_happy_hippy View Post
    Update: Finally got the Ohlins TTX fitted to my XL Bronson. The older standard springs with the larger OD are unlikely to fit as there is an only a few mm of clearance around the lightweight spring.

Only had a couple of riders on it so far. Initial impressions are that there is no detriment to its climbing ability even when spinning up long fire road climbs. Descending it is more supportive in the mid strokes, bike is still quite poppy. I would like it slightly more plush in the initial part of the travel, I think this is partially as Iím running a 525lb spring and I reckon I could really do with a 10-15lb lighter spring but the next step down is 502lbs which I suspect will be a be soft.

Looks good. More pics please lol

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Can anyone post a photo of a Bronson v3 running a DPX2? I assume no clearance issues?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rwo View Post
    Can anyone post a photo of a Bronson v3 running a DPX2? I assume no clearance issues?
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-6dykokzct%25osz8vu5lbmyw.jpg
    Lots of room.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by one_happy_hippy View Post

Pretttttty! 😍

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iridepnw View Post

Name:	6dYKOKZcT%Osz8Vu5LBMYw.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	1227229
    Lots of room.
    Cheers, how do you rate it compared to Super Deluxe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Had this a month and loving it. Had difficulty setting the fork up to feel as well as the rear suspension (am now running 2 volume spacers instead of 1 and 15psi less than fox recommends in the front). I'm 70 (74ish with gear) and have 162psi in the shock to get 30% sag.

Great bike until today when I went to relube the bearings and the rear shock bolt was seized! After a month.... Check your bolts and pivots!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by scottaspectdh View Post
    Had this a month and loving it. Had difficulty setting the fork up to feel as well as the rear suspension (am now running 2 volume spacers instead of 1 and 15psi less than fox recommends in the front). I'm 70 (74ish with gear) and have 162psi in the shock to get 30% sag.

Great bike until today when I went to relube the bearings and the rear shock bolt was seized! After a month.... Check your bolts and pivots!

Whoa assegai front and rear. How are they? (Going up and down)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottaspectdh View Post

dude I had the same on the rear shock bolt, its not so much the lack of grease that seized it, it was the blue Loctite had got onto the shaft and seized it, santa cruz informed me of this happening, and were now checking every one they sent out

mine cracked/creaked like a bitch from brand new just pushing down on the suspension, I stripped the whole rear end down, and traced it to that rear bolt, low and behold it was seized on, I had to take the link out to actually get enough purchase to remove the seized bolt
    and it doing so I chipped the paint too, which was annoying as **** given I shouldn't had to have had the issue in the first place! SC weren't really interested, in fact I didn't even get a apology, just a 'yeh its a known issue with the loc tite'

so if you get any creaks or groans, and rule out the pivots, it is very likely that rear shock bolt seized on. mines has been silent since then!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just chucked them on today for a bike park weekend ( a rarity in Australia), only Dh casing ATM but DD and Exo are planned to come out soon which will make them a great front tyre for general riding. Only heard good things from guys who have run them, with them having more grip and lasting longer than a dhf/dhr 2.
    Whoa assegai front and rear. How are they? (Going up and down)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Didzy2009 View Post
    dude I had the same on the rear shock bolt, its not so much the lack of grease that seized it, it was the blue Loctite had got onto the shaft and seized it, santa cruz informed me of this happening, and were now checking every one they sent out

mine cracked/creaked like a bitch from brand new just pushing down on the suspension, I stripped the whole rear end down, and traced it to that rear bolt, low and behold it was seized on, I had to take the link out to actually get enough purchase to remove the seized bolt
    and it doing so I chipped the paint too, which was annoying as **** given I shouldn't had to have had the issue in the first place! SC weren't really interested, in fact I didn't even get a apology, just a 'yeh its a known issue with the loc tite'

so if you get any creaks or groans, and rule out the pivots, it is very likely that rear shock bolt seized on. mines has been silent since then!
    Yeah I had to remove the rear swing arm and hammer the shit out of it with a punch.

Interesting that they know of the issue, all they would need to do is apply the loctite to the flip chip threads and not what seems to be the entire bolt during installation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    While I donít believe it should be necessary, especially on how much these bikes cost, I have gotten into the habit of tearing down my brand new bikes(doesnít matter who the manufacturer is) and reassembling them and checking things like torque and grease. My upper link bolts (the M10x18) were very difficult to remove like always. Lock Tite was like concrete.

I enjoy wrenching on my bikes and since I wrap the frames in 3m it makes it easier when everything is off the bike. While all the parts are off I check those torque values, apply grease, etc.

This allows me to be familiar with everything, and helps when issues arise. I noticed this time my Bronson has the newer bearings, and saw the torque values are much higher than on my previous SC bikes.

I tend have OCD with my bikes, so the extra time I take on set up is fine......but I donít think it should be necessary for everyone to take the steps I take.

Hope SC hears our concerns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    While I donít believe it should be necessary, especially on how much these bikes cost, I have gotten into the habit of tearing down my brand new bikes(doesnít matter who the manufacturer is) and reassembling them and checking things like torque and grease. My upper link bolts (the M10x18) were very difficult to remove like always. Lock Tite was like concrete.

I enjoy wrenching on my bikes and since I wrap the frames in 3m it makes it easier when everything is off the bike. While all the parts are off I check those torque values, apply grease, etc.

This allows me to be familiar with everything, and helps when issues arise. I noticed this time my Bronson has the newer bearings, and saw the torque values are much higher than on my previous SC bikes.

I tend have OCD with my bikes, so the extra time I take on set up is fine......but I donít think it should be necessary for everyone to take the steps I take.

Hope SC hears our concerns.
    Yeh - I hear you - I do actually enjoy it - but I generally give it a few rides before the inevitable creaks from loose pivots start first lol....this one was as bad as ive had as the noise was just there by simply lifting the bike, sitting on the bike, moving the bike sideways, an almight creak/crack noise

shouldn't really have to be tracking down that on a brand new frame tbh, but hey ho I got It sorted and chipped some paint in the process!

more importantly I got the noise sorted mind

FWIW the Loctite aside, there was hardly any grease on any of the pivot axles either, so as you did, I basically did a full service on the pivots before even riding it...which is fine for somebody who enjoys fettling etc, but theres plenty out there who wouldn't have a clue/dare to take it apart especially as its brand new, so if I was in that boat id be pretty annoyed

mtbr member
    Trying to decide on keeping my V3 or getting an Evil Offering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have a new L Bronson frame on the way. I have the factory spec 150mm 27.5+/29 Pike fork from my 16 Hightower OG that I want to use on the Bronson after installing the 160mm spring. It will have an axle to crown of 561mm and the Fox 36 that comes on the Bronson is 549mm. If I understand correctly this raises the front end 12mm, which raises the BB and slacks the head angle out another ~.5 degrees. However the Pike is 51mm offset, which gives a faster steering feel (from what I read...), so does this at all negate the slacker approx .5 degree headtube angle? If I run 2.8 plus tires and put the chip in low, am I closer to the geo from the factory? Or making things worse?

Bottom line, the question is - I am I splitting hairs here or is putting this Pike really going to screw with the setup of the Bronson?

Stressing over this decision because I bought the charger 2 RCT upgrade for the pike and the 160mm Debonair spring. Haven't installed yet, so could return those and put the $230 towards a true 27.5 160mm fork. Need to make a decision.

If I do go new SC is spec'ing 44mm offset Fox forks on these correct? (Can only find 1 post that mentions this)?

Thanks for any advice/input

Phil
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    Have a new L Bronson frame on the way. I have the factory spec 150mm 27.5+/29 Pike fork from my 16 Hightower OG that I want to use on the Bronson after installing the 160mm spring. It will have an axle to crown of 561mm and the Fox 36 that comes on the Bronson is 549mm. If I understand correctly this raises the front end 12mm, which raises the BB and slacks the head angle out another ~.5 degrees. However the Pike is 51mm offset, which gives a faster steering feel (from what I read...), so does this at all negate the slacker approx .5 degree headtube angle? If I run 2.8 plus tires and put the chip in low, am I closer to the geo from the factory? Or making things worse?

Bottom line, the question is - I am I splitting hairs here or is putting this Pike really going to screw with the setup of the Bronson?

Stressing over this decision because I bought the charger 2 RCT upgrade for the pike and the 160mm Debonair spring. Haven't installed yet, so could return those and put the $230 towards a true 27.5 160mm fork. Need to make a decision.

If I do go new SC is spec'ing 44mm offset Fox forks on these correct? (Can only find 1 post that mentions this)?

Thanks for any advice/input
    Sell the pike, return the damper and air spring, and get a 27.5/27.5+ fork or a fork with less offset. Youíll be handicapping the bike with a 51mm offset fork in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by asuprice View Post
    Sell the pike, return the damper and air spring, and get a 27.5/27.5+ fork or a fork with less offset. Youíll be handicapping the bike with a 51mm offset fork in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to read all that. I ended up finding a hugely discounted 2017 Lyric RCT 27.5 160mm that is a much better fit vs the 29 Pike. They should be discounted as I know everyone likes the newer Charger 2 and RC plus Debonair, but I figure the spring is an easy $40 change and I can upgrade to the newer dampner when maintenance is required. Returning the charger 2 for the Pike made this a net $200 change. Plus having the Pike to sell or keep as spare.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/rocksh...SABEgLSgvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Has anyone changed droppers or had to route housing? Probably spent an hour fiddling with this thing replacing the housing. Mine was kinked pretty bad from factory and the cable was difficult to move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SacAndrew View Post
    Has anyone changed droppers or had to route housing? Probably spent an hour fiddling with this thing replacing the housing. Mine was kinked pretty bad from factory and the cable was difficult to move.
    Yes i have, both reverb and oneup. Whats the issue your having?

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yes i have, both reverb and oneup. Whats the issue your having?

Oh just how incredibly tight the routing is. Tight enough that Iíve been searching for a thinner cable housing to buy for any future installs. Iím looking at a OneUp to see if I can squeeze any more drop than 125 on my small frame.

mtbr member

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Oh just how incredibly tight the routing is. Tight enough that Iíve been searching for a thinner cable housing to buy for any future installs. Iím looking at a OneUp to see if I can squeeze any more drop than 125 on my small frame.
    Are u running a reverb right now? Having run both those posts i know how tight the cable housing is, but it def works. U just gotta be patient and push hard. If your routing a cable housing u can push it in from the headfube side port and it will pop up the seat tube. If your routing a reverb hose u have to do it reversed, but route a cable housing and use the double ended cable attachment to pull housings thru frames. (They are a double sided red barb that attaches 2 housings together)

When doing that u have to pull the cable housing while pushing the reverb hose at the same time. It takes some finess but it for sure works.

Also having a medium frame i can bury a 125mm reverb to the clamp, the oneup 170mm i had i could not, at max usable insertion i had around 45mm of post shoring before the collar and had to shim the post to 138mm from 170. Im currently now on a 150mm reverb with the shortest cable attachment to the post and there is still 10mm before the collar and thats burried.

I posted 2 pics to show u the insertions, im sure u can figure which is which. And for ref i have shorter legs with a 29Ē inseam and on a medium frame.

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Wow thanks for the info! Iím running the Racefave Aeffect dropper that came with my R build. I have pretty short inseam right and I have just about 29mm of post showing befor collar right now. If I go by all advertised specs, I should be able to have a OneUp 150 dropper dropped a good deal lower to the collar. Iím not too sure about that and I really donít wonít to pull this dropper out and measure before a weekend ride. Lol

mtbr member
    Wow thanks for the info! Iím running the Racefave Aeffect dropper that came with my R build. I have pretty short inseam right and I have just about 29mm of post showing befor collar right now. If I go by all advertised specs, I should be able to have a OneUp 150 dropper dropped a good deal lower to the collar. Iím not too sure about that and I really donít wonít to pull this dropper out and measure before a weekend ride. Lol
    Just keep in mind that the cable housing goes into the frame in the drive side of the seat tube, and the oneup actuator needs a little movement in the housing to actualte post. And if its too low this will not happen. In my experience u need a little more than what oneup has as the max insertion length, as the cable need to bend to the side as the shock tunnel, if it were to fo straight down this would be a non issue.

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/dropper-step-1

Useful calculator to see what dropper size will fit. Remember you can always shim it down to the exact height you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just keep in mind that the cable housing goes into the frame in the drive side of the seat tube, and the oneup actuator needs a little movement in the housing to actualte post. And if its too low this will not happen. In my experience u need a little more than what oneup has as the max insertion length, as the cable need to bend to the side as the shock tunnel, if it were to fo straight down this would be a non issue.

Same experience here with the OneUp 150 in a medium frame. Theoretically could get more drop with it than a reverb except that it bottoms out earlier coz of the extra space needed by the actuator. 45mm above the collar sounds about right, giving only 105mm drop after shimming. Sold it and got a revive instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Same experience here with the OneUp 150 in a medium frame. Theoretically could get more drop with it than a reverb except that it bottoms out earlier coz of the extra space needed by the actuator. 45mm above the collar sounds about right, giving only 105mm drop after shimming. Sold it and got a revive instead.
    In a medium frame, with a 150 OneUp you had to bring it down to 105mm? Thatís nuts

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    In a medium frame, with a 150 OneUp you had to bring it down to 105mm? Thatís nuts
    Have a short inseam. Smack in between a small and a medium. Was pushing my luck with a 150 dropper anyway. That's why I swapped it out for a revive 125.

The one up 150 worked for me with my previous small Bronson 2 coz there was nothing under the post to bottom out against.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah, all this talk about oneup droppers having the lowest stack in the world. But the actuator mechanism sticks out 30mm beyond the bottom of the post and the cable housing doesnít work well if itís curved. Sold mine too and went to a 9.8 fall line. I would have tried the revive but they donít have a 150.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi mopar , who in NZ are you using for your suspension tech ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, I've got a frame on order in Primer Grey and wanted to double check (saw a similar question earlier) that the matte invisiframe is the one to go for to achieve best match/invisibility?

Separately, I was hoping to use the OneUp 150 on a Medium but looks like I may have to revisit that now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi , can anybody tell me what the offset is on the standard factory provided fork , thx in advance

Pat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Hey, I've got a frame on order in Primer Grey and wanted to double check (saw a similar question earlier) that the matte invisiframe is the one to go for to achieve best match/invisibility?

Separately, I was hoping to use the OneUp 150 on a Medium but looks like I may have to revisit that now.
    Picture of mine is with Matt invisiframe. Looks great, in my opinion actually looks better than the factory paint !

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Picture of mine is with Matt invisiframe. Looks great, in my opinion actually looks better than the factory paint !
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OneUp 150mm and 170mm on Medium frame clarification:

bret56 - you mentioned 45mm showing with max possible insertion with 170mm post
    alecd - you also mention 45mm showing with max possible insertion with 150mm post

I wonder if both can be correct as the 170mm post should have 20mm more length (max insertion is 243mm vs 223mm) so should show by 20mm more than the 150mm post if inserted as much as possible in to the same sized frame?

In terms of thinking about how much "drop" I will use am I correct in the following thought process?

- I usually run a saddle height of 71cm on my road bike with 165mm cranks and 70cm on my current 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB with 175mm cranks so I'm assuming that I will be running c70.5cm with 170mm cranks that I have ordered for the Bronson
    - based on the above I expect a distance to the saddle rails of 66.5cm (deducting 4cm based on current saddles)
    - given seat tube length on the Medium Bronson is 40.5cm, I have 26cm to play with which needs to cover:

A stack height (collar to saddle rail)
    B post showing above seat tube to the collar

In the case of 170mm post this would be:
    A stack height of 207mm
    B leaving 53mm for post showing

In the case of 150mm post this would be:
    A stack height of 187mm
    B leaving 73mm for post showing

So, if the 170mm could be inserted with just 45mm showing then I could still use its full 170mm (as I would have room for 53mm)? If on the other hand its max possible insertion left 65mm showing (i.e. 20mm more than 150mm post) then I would need to reduce the drop by 12mm to 158mm?

Would be great to know exactly how much of the post was showing in both cases. I'm more or less new to my mountain bike having stuck to roads for the last 10 years so not sure whether most people are running their saddles at a max extension that is significantly lower than on a road bike? I've retro fitted a 100mm dropper to my old 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper and find I can run a similar saddle height to my road bike and adjust it slightly down on the fly if required - this would theoretically allow me to use fully the 170mm OneUp dropper if it only showed by 45mm at max possible insertion.

Any thoughts welcome!

mtbr member
    OneUp 150mm and 170mm on Medium frame clarification:

bret56 - you mentioned 45mm showing with max possible insertion with 170mm post
    alecd - you also mention 45mm showing with max possible insertion with 150mm post

I wonder if both can be correct as the 170mm post should have 20mm more length (max insertion is 243mm vs 223mm) so should show by 20mm more than the 150mm post if inserted as much as possible in to the same sized frame?

In terms of thinking about how much "drop" I will use am I correct in the following thought process?

- I usually run a saddle height of 71cm on my road bike with 165mm cranks and 70cm on my current 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB with 175mm cranks so I'm assuming that I will be running c70.5cm with 170mm cranks that I have ordered for the Bronson
    - based on the above I expect a distance to the saddle rails of 66.5cm (deducting 4cm based on current saddles)
    - given seat tube length on the Medium Bronson is 40.5cm, I have 26cm to play with which needs to cover:

A stack height (collar to saddle rail)
    B post showing above seat tube to the collar

In the case of 170mm post this would be:
    A stack height of 207mm
    B leaving 53mm for post showing

In the case of 150mm post this would be:
    A stack height of 187mm
    B leaving 73mm for post showing

So, if the 170mm could be inserted with just 45mm showing then I could still use its full 170mm (as I would have room for 53mm)? If on the other hand its max possible insertion left 65mm showing (i.e. 20mm more than 150mm post) then I would need to reduce the drop by 12mm to 158mm?

Would be great to know exactly how much of the post was showing in both cases. I'm more or less new to my mountain bike having stuck to roads for the last 10 years so not sure whether most people are running their saddles at a max extension that is significantly lower than on a road bike? I've retro fitted a 100mm dropper to my old 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper and find I can run a similar saddle height to my road bike and adjust it slightly down on the fly if required - this would theoretically allow me to use fully the 170mm OneUp dropper if it only showed by 45mm at max possible insertion.

Any thoughts welcome!
    If i remember correct on my medium frame i had a max of 8 1/2Ē of usable seat tube from the clamp, thats because of the cable routing thru the side of the shock tunnel. So thats gonna be including the actuator at the bottom of the post plus add a little bit for the cable movement needed for that oneup atyle actuator. I found the internal cable routing very snug on the bronson and was a little tough to get the cable movement when the post was inserted as much as i could possible do. I went to a reverb 150 and couldnt be happier, the oneup just isnt the greatest option for this frame in my opinion. Worked PERFECT pn my last bike (norco range) with a straight seat tube

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If i remember correct on my medium frame i had a max of 8 1/2Ē of usable seat tube from the clamp, thats because of the cable routing thru the side of the shock tunnel. So thats gonna be including the actuator at the bottom of the post plus add a little bit for the cable movement needed for that oneup atyle actuator. I found the internal cable routing very snug on the bronson and was a little tough to get the cable movement when the post was inserted as much as i could possible do. I went to a reverb 150 and couldnt be happier, the oneup just isnt the greatest option for this frame in my opinion. Worked PERFECT pn my last bike (norco range) with a straight seat tube

Thanks bret56

By useable seat tube do you mean the room to insert the dropper into the seat tube?

So 8 1/2' being roughly 215mm this would have to accommodate:
    - max insertion for the 170mm post of 243mm
    - actuator mech 32mm
    - say 5mm for actuator movement

This would be 280mm in total and therefore Ö 65mm would have to be showing?

Presumably 150mm OneUp should work ok for me given it should show less (given it is shorter)?

I originally looked at the Reverb Stealth as an option but liked the OneUp for its lower weight and simpler operation as well as lower price.

mtbr member
    Thanks bret56

By useable seat tube do you mean the room to insert the dropper into the seat tube?

So 8 1/2' being roughly 215mm this would have to accommodate:
    - max insertion for the 170mm post of 243mm
    - actuator mech 32mm
    - say 5mm for actuator movement

This would be 280mm in total and therefore Ö 65mm would have to be showing?

Presumably 150mm OneUp should work ok for me given it should show less (given it is shorter)?

I originally looked at the Reverb Stealth as an option but liked the OneUp for its lower weight and simpler operation as well as lower price.
    Around those numbers yes. I had about 45mm showing on my 170mm dropper and would have probably had to go to about 50mm from seat clamp to bottom of post collar to get a bit better actuation. Tough to give exact numbers as i dont have the oneup anymore. A few ppl have stated that the revive works a bit better with this frame, and i can see why, with the actuator being a different pull style. The fact that the cable housing had to bend off at an angle kinda doesnt work well with a max insertion post

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Around those numbers yes. I had about 45mm showing on my 170mm dropper and would have probably had to go to about 50mm from seat clamp to bottom of post collar to get a bit better actuation. Tough to give exact numbers as i dont have the oneup anymore. A few ppl have stated that the revive works a bit better with this frame, and i can see why, with the actuator being a different pull style. The fact that the cable housing had to bend off at an angle kinda doesnt work well with a max insertion post

Thanks - some food for thought. Its difficult to imagine this stuff without the frame - probably won't see it this side of Christmas but keeping fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Thanks - some food for thought. Its difficult to imagine this stuff without the frame - probably won't see it this side of Christmas but keeping fingers crossed.
    I hear ya on that. It may take some playing around for u as well. And all depends on your inseam as well, i have short legs so the post had to be farther down with the 170. If i had a 150 it may have been a diff story

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For those of us running the stock Rockshox Super Deluxe RC2, care to share your suspension setup? I know it's all different based on rider weight, riding style, and terrain but I just want to compare notes.

I'm about 95kg kitted up have it setup with 220psi, 3 volume reducers (factory default), -5 clicks rebound from fully closed, and no LSC (I just can't seem to need any LSC!).

mtbr member

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)

For those of us running the stock Rockshox Super Deluxe RC2, care to share your suspension setup? I know it's all different based on rider weight, riding style, and terrain but I just want to compare notes.

I'm about 95kg kitted up have it setup with 220psi, 3 volume reducers (factory default), -5 clicks rebound from fully closed, and no LSC (I just can't seem to need any LSC!).
    What kind of trails do u ride? Are u jumping and dropping or just riding? Whats your style?

Im 82kg geared up, ride the north shore which has a wide variety of terrain from smooth and fast to slow and chunky tech, medium size drops and jumps and usually ride pretty fast. Ive been using full travel on every ride. 205psi/5clicks rebound from fast/6clicks compression. 27.5% sag. May take out 2 spacersand put in a knar dog, would give a total of 3.5 spacers rather than stock 3, just for a little bit of extra ramp for BIGGER stuff or mistakes.

Recent Bikes:
    2017 Norco Range C7.1
    2018 Norco Sight C7.1
    2016 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    74kg in kit
    165 psi
    3 tokens
    3 clicks from fast lsr
    4 clicks lsc

Use full travel every ride, never feel a bottom out unless I case something HARD. Still feels like it hangs up a little on repeated small bumps such a loose small rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ~170lbs/ 77kg in gear
    185 psi
    3 tokens
    2 clicks from fastest LSR
    (no LSC dial)
    sag around 30%

O-ring on shock is bottomed every ride but never feel it happen unless it's a hard case. A bit harsh on small chatter and feels like it's deeper in the travel than it actually is when pedaling or trying to bring the bike off the ground.

Usually ride intermediate to expert trails. (Like trails from Tokul to Glacier) Generally low and fast on expert trails and looking for side-hits and stuff to pop off of on intermediate.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678