The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3) - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 1,801 to 1,881 of 1881
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    morning all(uk time)

can anyone recommend me a decent fitting waterbottle and cage for the b3?

pics if poosible too.

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

here's a picture of my Bronson for you guys.standard other than the white graphics so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_3094.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Zee ii cage with purist bottle

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Fidlock is great:
    https://ibb.co/HK79fv6

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yip, fidlock, not cheap but it leaves the bike looking nice and clean when you have no bottle on too.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    Great choice. Nice with the 26oz purist for a bit more volume.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    May 2017
    yep purist bottles hold a lot of water and they are 6 bucks at my local shop, plus the carbon sideload zee cage looks dope.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeComponents View Post
    The Bronson is actually not very progressive at all. It's leverage ratio is essentially the same at the end of stroke as it is a the start. Its leverage ratio is the lowest 65% into the shocks stroke and then it rises back to just a hair below its initial value. Here's the leverage curve for the Bronson for reference.
    hey cascade, thanks for this, appreciate the options we have.
    I have couple of questions...
    do you use angular contact bearings or regular ball bearings in your link?
    Are these replaceable should they fail in some time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by palo_lude View Post
    hey cascade, thanks for this, appreciate the options we have.
    I have couple of questions...
    do you use angular contact bearings or regular ball bearings in your link?
    Are these replaceable should they fail in some time?
    We use regular ball bearings. Santa Cruz does the same now. They moved away from angular contact bearings because setting the preload properly was more difficult and the performance increase was negligible. The bearings can be pressed out and replaced if they fail or wear out. The method for doing this is the same as the stock link where there's a slot cut in the bearing spacer for a punch to sit in. The bearings we use are the exact same size as the stock ones but they are the sealed version. We did this because they handle water and dust better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    thanks, much appreciated. I am on Bronson v2, did not know SC switched to bearings in lower link for this newer bikes. very interesting. anyway, great product. you are on my radar based on my new bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ian7 View Post
    morning all(uk time)

can anyone recommend me a decent fitting waterbottle and cage for the b3?

pics if poosible too.

cheers
    Lezyne side load 

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-t86izm5.jpg
    2019 Bronson CC XX1/XO1/Enve.
    1993 Cannondale killer v polished catalogue spec X2

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    im enjoying mine...

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_4491.jpg
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_4496.jpg
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_4498.jpg
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_4493.jpg
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_4494.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Very cool! this is exactly what I was planning to do, im going to use a SAR spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by elynberg View Post
    im enjoying mine...

very nice. I like it.
    do you know if there is any significant difference in weight between the original link and a cascade one?
    are you using 160 fork with it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    It felt heavier but I am not sure if the difference is significant. Yeah 160mm 36 grip 1 w/ vorsprung smashpot coil. It feels like a good match so far for the dhx2 and the link out back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is the link required to be able to run a coil on the B3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elynberg View Post
    It felt heavier but I am not sure if the difference is significant. Yeah 160mm 36 grip 1 w/ vorsprung smashpot coil. It feels like a good match so far for the dhx2 and the link out back.
    The difference is approximately 35 g. It varies bike to bike because the stock link has an inconsistent weight. Of course with the link positioned low and close to the BB the difference will be entirely unnoticeable riding. There are some coils that can be run with the stock link in low, but the stock leverage curve is not well suited to them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mine was only 10g more than stock and build quality is outstanding.

Only one short ride so far with a Storia EXT coil. Was running in High mode before due to pedal strikes but with the link I feel like there is a lot more mid-stroke and it feels great with the new geo.

I was concerned the bike would too plush but I think it retained all its pop while better utilizing the travel.

For reference I have a 475lb SAR spring for 170lb riding weight. I donít do big drops or hucks. Itís a little lower rate than Cascade but felt good to me.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    Today I ran it with one band and one token, aired up to keep at 30% sag, feels way more controlled and still has more mid support and used all travel. Way better than stock but I did like the amount of mid stroke support from yesterday so may try no negative bands later this week.
    Did you try it with no bands? I have run it with 2 tokens and 2 bands and then 3 bands. Agree with your comment on being "choppy" through rough stuff. I attributed that to the higher air pressure. Was thinking about going to 4 bands so I could reduce pressure but seems like you are going the opposite direction. No bottom outs with 1 token? In stock I had to run 3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv4928 View Post
    Is the link required to be able to run a coil on the B3?
    Nope

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I tried 2 and 2. now using all bands and 1 token. works well for me.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-bronson.jpg
    Here's a picture of mine

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    I tried 2 and 2. now using all bands and 1 token. works well for me.
    Iím slightly confused. The rs super deluxe has both bands and tokens? I was going to order some tokens as my ShockWiz suggested more volume spacers and didnít see anything about bands in my search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Iím slightly confused. The rs super deluxe has both bands and tokens? I was going to order some tokens as my ShockWiz suggested more volume spacers and didnít see anything about bands in my search.
    Iím running the Megneg so have all 4 bands (that came with the Megneg) in the -ve chamber and one volume reducer in the +ve chamber (instead of the 3 that it came with as stock).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    bands in the negative (like Fox). tokens in the positive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Didzy2009 View Post
    interesting! yes that's the weird thing, its only on certain terrain im 'feeling/hearing' it....

out and out rocky stuff, I cannot tell anything other than the shock performing well, but then get onto a transition of grass to get to another trail etc, and if the grass is bumpy etc, then you can feel like its almost loose and knocking (its not massively audible) but it almost sounds like a hollow loose noise is best I can describe...but then get on something rocky and its not there....

very strange, I had the rear bearing/shock mount apart from day one, and the bearings were smooth, and there was no play in the bushings (but that's what It feels like a worn bush/or loose)

maybe as the post above yours says, it may well be something internal in the shock, ill see if I can loan a fox and even another RS and see if it goes away...

I'm referring back to posts 802 and 802 made on page 5 of this thread. I too am suffering from this knocking sensation on a 2020 Bronson. Was it concluded that the issue was the shock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Does anyone know how many tokens come stock in a Super Deluxe Ultimate with a CC frame? I can't find it published anywhere and SC hasn't been answering their phone

I know I can pull the aircan and look but I don't have any 15w50 oil on hand and only want to open it once.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does anyone know how many tokens come stock in a Super Deluxe Ultimate with a CC frame? I can't find it published anywhere and SC hasn't been answering their phone

I know I can pull the aircan and look but I don't have any 15w50 oil on hand and only want to open it once.
    3 came in mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iridepnw View Post
    Did you try it with no bands? I have run it with 2 tokens and 2 bands and then 3 bands. Agree with your comment on being "choppy" through rough stuff. I attributed that to the higher air pressure. Was thinking about going to 4 bands so I could reduce pressure but seems like you are going the opposite direction. No bottom outs with 1 token? In stock I had to run 3.
    Yip three, which is max unless you get a gnar dog token

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iridepnw View Post
    Been too wet for me to do any more testing but you may be right. My shockwiz gave me a 100% score on my trail ride the other day on neutral poppy setting but was a slow wet ride and still felt a little harsh to me.(donít always trust the shockwiz and just use it as a guide when changing stuff) Anyway I need to get some dry weather to test at my usual trail speeds and a few laps at the park before I decide which way to go with the bands. To answer your question I have no issue with bottoming with the one token but that is probably helped because of the higher air due to less bands in -ve

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yip three, which is max unless you get a gnar dog token
    And if the Gnar dog isn't enough you need the Sonar or the MegNeg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Iīve tried 0 and 1 band with 0 and 1 token and it was too much midstroke for my riding. The transition from midstroke to endprogression came very suddenly and felt harsh. Then i tried 2 bands with 1 token. The midstroke felt way better but i needed a little more endprogression. 2 bands and 2 token is a bit to progessiv so i made my own 1/3 token. Next day iīll try 3 and maybe 4 bands in the -ve....
    Last edited by Dice8; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hi guys,
    after a long search and thinking, a Bronson cc v3 frame is on it's way to me, very excited about it, however, I have some question marks in my head.

First of all, I heard about this shock knocking issue on certain terrain/situations. Is this a problem for everyone, or just for some? I'm thinking about getting a dpx2 instead of the superdeluxe rct because of it. But then again, my other question is related to this a bit: right now I have a Fox 36 Rhythm fork to build in and it's a 160mm fork, but I'm thinking about getting a Lyrik RC2 in 170mm, with the 37mm offset. Does anyone have experience with this overforking setup? How does it feel compared the 160mm? I like the idea of the matching brand for the fork and the shock, but if I swap both then obviously it's not gonna happen. The Lyrik with the super deluxe sounds neat, but I'm worried about this rattling/knocking issue.

Any thoughts/advices for these?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Been too wet for me to do any more testing but you may be right. My shockwiz gave me a 100% score on my trail ride the other day on neutral poppy setting but was a slow wet ride and still felt a little harsh to me.(donít always trust the shockwiz and just use it as a guide when changing stuff) Anyway I need to get some dry weather to test at my usual trail speeds and a few laps at the park before I decide which way to go with the bands. To answer your question I have no issue with bottoming with the one token but that is probably helped because of the higher air due to less bands in -ve
    I don't think you should aim for poppy/playfull setting if you have issues with harshness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by viktorcsaszar View Post
    Hi guys,
    after a long search and thinking, a Bronson cc v3 frame is on it's way to me, very excited about it, however, I have some question marks in my head.

First of all, I heard about this shock knocking issue on certain terrain/situations. Is this a problem for everyone, or just for some? I'm thinking about getting a dpx2 instead of the superdeluxe rct because of it. But then again, my other question is related to this a bit: right now I have a Fox 36 Rhythm fork to build in and it's a 160mm fork, but I'm thinking about getting a Lyrik RC2 in 170mm, with the 37mm offset. Does anyone have experience with this overforking setup? How does it feel compared the 160mm? I like the idea of the matching brand for the fork and the shock, but if I swap both then obviously it's not gonna happen. The Lyrik with the super deluxe sounds neat, but I'm worried about this rattling/knocking issue.

Any thoughts/advices for these?

Cheers
    I had no issues with knocking. Iím running a Vorsprung Tractive tune on the Super Deluxe and have no desire to run anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I had the noise on my Bronson cc with super deluxe rct from brand new, it felt awful. I also have had as many as 10 private messages on here and around 5 or so on Instagram asking me about how to solve it, so yes it is a real life issue

I went with a dpx2 and it immediately cured the knock, the only downside at the time was it was'nt as smooth and small bump compliance wasn't quite there the same due to the dpx2 using a bushing and the super deluxe using a roller bearing, but 7 months on ive had no knocking or issues with the dpx2 at all, its been faultless.

however im now absolutely delighted with my dpx2 as ive just had it serviced (big shout out to slickandslide suspension, if your in the uk give them a look up) and ive also now had a fox lower bearing mount fitted too, and its now absolutely amazing, back to how I remember the initial smoothness of my super deluxe, but with absolutely no noise, knocking or anything

the lower bearing plays a very very very very important part in the feel of the new santa cruz' IMO, you only have to feel by hand the resistance of the bushing compare to a roller bearing, its night and day, and it translates on the trail too.

so to sum up, if anyones going dpx2 or has one already fitted, I strongly recommend getting the lower bearing mount fitted from the off (or retro fitted), its a big big positive from the bushing on the new sc lower link driven platform

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Didzy2009 View Post
    I had the noise on my Bronson cc with super deluxe rct from brand new, it felt awful. I also have had as many as 10 private messages on here and around 5 or so on Instagram asking me about how to solve it, so yes it is a real life issue

I went with a dpx2 and it immediately cured the knock, the only downside at the time was it was'nt as smooth and small bump compliance wasn't quite there the same due to the dpx2 using a bushing and the super deluxe using a roller bearing, but 7 months on ive had no knocking or issues with the dpx2 at all, its been faultless.

however im now absolutely delighted with my dpx2 as ive just had it serviced (big shout out to slickandslide suspension, if your in the uk give them a look up) and ive also now had a fox lower bearing mount fitted too, and its now absolutely amazing, back to how I remember the initial smoothness of my super deluxe, but with absolutely no noise, knocking or anything

the lower bearing plays a very very very very important part in the feel of the new santa cruz' IMO, you only have to feel by hand the resistance of the bushing compare to a roller bearing, its night and day, and it translates on the trail too.

so to sum up, if anyones going dpx2 or has one already fitted, I strongly recommend getting the lower bearing mount fitted from the off (or retro fitted), its a big big positive from the bushing on the new sc lower link driven platform
    Where do you order the roller bearing? Fox or sc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    im the uk and got mine from slickandslide suspension (who has a fox uk account) so I assume you'll get it from any authorised fox dealer worldwide depending on where you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ask your local Fox dealer for a 812-06-096-KIT roller bearing kit. Maybe 10mins tops to fit and as said it makes a huge improvement.
    2019 Bronson CC XX1/XO1/Enve.
    1993 Cannondale killer v polished catalogue spec X2

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2020 Olive Bronson

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-bronson.jpg

Large 2020 Olive CC Bronson
    RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate
    Fox 36 @ 170mm
    Fox 150mm transfer dropper
    XT 12 Speed
    XT 4Pot Brakes
    Enve M6 wheels on I9 Hydra Hubs
    Enve M6 carbon bar

First ride yesterday. Blown away so far. Massive improvement both up and down over my previous 2016 Intense Recluse.

Suspension platform is brilliant, very plush yet still very supportive. An expensive build for sure... but I am stoked. Also why I continue to drive a very old Toyota van ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb1970 View Post
    Ask your local Fox dealer for a 812-06-096-KIT roller bearing kit. Maybe 10mins tops to fit and as said it makes a huge improvement.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    Mine was only 10g more than stock and build quality is outstanding.

Only one short ride so far with a Storia EXT coil. Was running in High mode before due to pedal strikes but with the link I feel like there is a lot more mid-stroke and it feels great with the new geo.

I was concerned the bike would too plush but I think it retained all its pop while better utilizing the travel.

For reference I have a 475lb SAR spring for 170lb riding weight. I donít do big drops or hucks. Itís a little lower rate than Cascade but felt good to me.
    Is this link you mention the one by Cascade Components ?
    If so how is the clearance between the link and stays, looks very close on their web page gallery and Iím concerned it might be a real rock vs carbon vice if rocks were to enter that region. Looks a lot tighter than the stock link but is hard to tell from the photos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ursavage View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronson.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	1280611

Large 2020 Olive CC Bronson
    RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate
    Fox 36 @ 170mm
    Fox 150mm transfer dropper
    XT 12 Speed
    XT 4Pot Brakes
    Enve M6 wheels on I9 Hydra Hubs
    Enve M6 carbon bar

First ride yesterday. Blown away so far. Massive improvement both up and down over my previous 2016 Intense Recluse.

Suspension platform is brilliant, very plush yet still very supportive. An expensive build for sure... but I am stoked. Also why I continue to drive a very old Toyota van ;-)
    Nice build. Thought that looked like NZ country in the back ground 👍

mtbr member
    Is this link you mention the one by Cascade Components ?
    If so how is the clearance between the link and stays, looks very close on their web page gallery and Iím concerned it might be a real rock vs carbon vice if rocks were to enter that region. Looks a lot tighter than the stock link but is hard to tell from the photos.
    We really should take that photo off as it's of a prototype link that was quite a bit tighter on space. Check these out for a better look at a installed link https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Elynberg/album/bronson-v3/. We've put a lot of time on the link and never encountered any issues with rocks there or anything else for that matter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeComponents View Post
    We really should take that photo off as it's of a prototype link that was quite a bit tighter on space. Check these out for a better look at a installed link https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Elynberg/album/bronson-v3/. We've put a lot of time on the link and never encountered any issues with rocks there or anything else for that matter.
    Thanks for the link, those photos do it justice and it looks well engineered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Someone knows if by changing to Lo setting it makes the Bronson v3 more progressive like the Nomad\Megatower ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Someone knows if by changing to Lo setting it makes the Bronson v3 more progressive like the Nomad\Megatower ?
    Technically speaking yes it does, but unlike the Nomad and Megatower it is such a tiny difference that it's as good as nothing pretty much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    After just over a year of owning this thing, I'm finally getting around to spending a whole ton of money that I don't have to improve it... One of the pros AND cons of working for a MTB-related company are the overly-tempting industry discounts. I'm still loving the ride, but little stuff makes it even better! I'm hoping to get a set of Reserve carbon wheels and a MegNeg for the Super Deluxe R shock within the next year or two.

So far I've added:
    Renthal 40mm Apex Stem
    Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35 bars
    ODI AG-2 grips
    WolfTooth ReMote LA
    RockShox Charger 2.1 damper
    MRP Ramp Control
    SRAM Code RSC brakes and 200mm rotors on both ends
    Rockguardz carbon fiber downtube protector
    OneUp Components bashguard
    Shimano Saint PD-M820 pedals
    SRAM GX derailleur
    Maxxis DHR II 2.4 EXO+ Maxx Terra rear
    Maxxis Assegai 2.5 EXO+ Maxx Terra front

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Im thinking about changing the Bronson v3 HTA with -1 degree (maybe even -1.5 degree) headset while keeping it on Hi setting and with 160mm fork, what should i expect from the change? Im assuming it will increase the wheelbase a bit, the reach and the ETT (top tube length) will be a bit shorter, but how much shorter? And what about the BB hight, BB drop & STA, any changes as well?

Im thinking to order this part from this company, https://www.workscomponents.co.uk , any experience with their parts? or any other option i should look at, and which version should i get that will fit the Bronson v3?

If someone did this, how do you like the Bronson now compare to the original Geo? is it big or subtle change?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Im thinking about changing the Bronson v3 HTA with -1 degree
    as far as I know this isn't possible with the Bronson (or any new SC bikes) now that SC uses an integrated headset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    For anyone still looking for a MegNeg, Worldwide Cyclery just got them back in stock today.
    They have 3 more left...

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...7-5-55mm-black

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PJJ205 View Post
    For anyone still looking for a MegNeg, Worldwide Cyclery just got them back in stock today.
    They have 3 more left...

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...7-5-55mm-black
    Hell yeah! Thanks. I assume it comes with installation instructions?

Also, does it suggest PSI settings for our bike too?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosjsk8 View Post
    Hell yeah! Thanks. I assume it comes with installation instructions?

Also, does it suggest PSI settings for our bike too?
    https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/...pgrade_kit.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Next time I buy a bike, I will not be going base build. I've spent way more money upgrading it than if I would have just taken the initial plunge. Just saw this on my stock WTB ST i29 TCS 2.0 27.5" rear rim.

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-59139845318__5f259b0d-02c3-460b-8d96-5fb603628118.jpg

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-img_4468.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=PJJ205;14345613]Next time I buy a bike, I will not be going base build. I've spent way more money upgrading it than if I would have just taken the initial plunge. Just saw this on my stock WTB ST i29 TCS 2.0 27.5" rear rim.

Name:	59139845318__5F259B0D-02C3-460B-8D96-5FB603628118.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	1282577

I went full custom build and still ended up with the same issue. Raceface turbine ďEnduroĒ wheelset broke 4 spokes in the first 8 months riding and rear rim ended up with most of the spoke beds looking like yours. Raceface distributors did replace no questions asked but now the front rim is starting to crack too. So Iím in the market for a stronger wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I tried to contact Santa Cruz (thru email) 3 weeks ago about the color number for the Bronson v3 Primer Grey color, and till now i didnt got any response...

Someone know the color number\Pantone number for the Primer Grey color and willing to share it?
    Last edited by Muddy-Runs; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I tried to contact Santa Cruz (thru email) 3 weeks ago about the color number for the Bronson v3 Primer Grey color, and till now i didnt got any response...

Someone know the color number for the Primer Grey color and willing to share it?
    Okay this does not really answer your question but it might help a bit. Firstly. For anyone with a 2020 Matte Olive frame the Pantone Number for the colour is 5615C. Plenty of places online will mix you up a touch up pot to order. Just remember to order it in matte not gloss. See my touch up effort. This chip was originally right down to the black carbon

The 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson (v3)-c20bb63f-c38c-427c-a53d-b0990fecb817.jpg

If you donít have the Pantone number or any other ďcolour codeĒ there is an iPhone app called ĎConeí. You can point your camera at any colour and it will give you a range of best fit colour codes. If you are willing to do a bit of trial and error then it should help you get a good match in the end. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anyone using a OneUp dropper post with their V3 Bronson? I was wondering if the 180mm OneUp dropper post fits in a size large frame? If your using one how has it been working? Thanks

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MrFish;14345973]
    Quote Originally Posted by PJJ205 View Post
    Next time I buy a bike, I will not be going base build. I've spent way more money upgrading it than if I would have just taken the initial plunge. Just saw this on my stock WTB ST i29 TCS 2.0 27.5" rear rim.

Name:	59139845318__5F259B0D-02C3-460B-8D96-5FB603628118.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	1282577

I went full custom build and still ended up with the same issue. Raceface turbine ďEnduroĒ wheelset broke 4 spokes in the first 8 months riding and rear rim ended up with most of the spoke beds looking like yours. Raceface distributors did replace no questions asked but now the front rim is starting to crack too. So Iím in the market for a stronger wheelset.
    We are one wheelset, lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=Daxdagr8t;14349827]
    We are one wheelset, lifetime warranty.

I doubt Iíll go the carbon route. Would be too nervous of breaking them on a backcountry ride, and most riders I know feel they give too harsh a ride relative to the gains in directional stiffness. I know that some new manufacturers like crank bros and Zipp are working on this aspect but they are both very expensive.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MrFish;14350181]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxdagr8t View Post

I doubt Iíll go the carbon route. Would be too nervous of breaking them on a backcountry ride, and most riders I know feel they give too harsh a ride relative to the gains in directional stiffness. I know that some new manufacturers like crank bros and Zipp are working on this aspect but they are both very expensive.
    They are not as stiff as enves and i got mine for 1450 with i9 hydras. Or check out fnatik for custom wheelsets, they have cheaper price than most places.

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me the tune id for dpx2 for the bronson? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    [QUOTE=MrFish;14350181]

Weareone agent wheel set with i9 101 are $1000. They do 15% off coupons every once in a while and that is how i picked mine up. $850.00 with a lifetime warranty. They are my first set of carbon wheels and I purchased them because a microspline option was not available with my old hubs. Plus I like weareones business believes and they are doing some really cool stuff with manufacturing in North America. Compared to my old Stans Flow Mk3 they are stiffer laterally for sure. Which I noticed in off camber sections and corners. But I wouldnt describe them as harsh. If it says anything about their strength the Kona enduro team has been riding the same set of wheels all season through practice and races with no breaks according to vital.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Yuge. sry if this is inappropriate here, but also test ride at least one DW-link bike before you pull the trigger. bikes have changed so much in just the last two-three years alone.
    Test rode an HD4 and got a good deal since the HD5 just got released.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Can anyone tell me the tune id for dpx2 for the bronson? Thanks

Thats the custom tune ID im having on my DPX2 Performance Elite -
    2018, SAMPLE, FLOAT DPX2, P-Se, A, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, FOX, ENG, 210, 55, CM, RM, Rezi AFF, No Logo, N/M

Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Suggestions for a coil shock to run with the new cascade components link ?
    Is the CC DB iL any good ?, is it reliable now ?, weight of it is impressive for a coil but wonder if it will hold up to bike park abuse ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by wisegofr View Post
    Anyone using a OneUp dropper post with their V3 Bronson? I was wondering if the 180mm OneUp dropper post fits in a size large frame? If your using one how has it been working? Thanks
    i have the 180mm OneUp Dropper v2 w/ SC adapter and it works amazingly. i used to have the v1 post and it worked but was finiky on a Large Bronson v3. i can not bottom the post to the frame as it kinks the cable, but as i am 5'11" w/ 32" pant leg and i require the post to be about 2 inches raised to get proper seat height

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So I am completely sold on a Bronson V3 after a demo ride. Loved it it was a carbon s model. Question is, how much difference does the carbon make versus the alloy? I can't demo am alloy but it's a massive price difference. Any one experience of both?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by endorium View Post
    So I am completely sold on a Bronson V3 after a demo ride. Loved it it was a carbon s model. Question is, how much difference does the carbon make versus the alloy? I can't demo am alloy but it's a massive price difference. Any one experience of both?
    I'm sure there's a somewhat notable difference between the rides. Question being is it $1,000-1,200 more noticeable. Probly more noticeable between alloy and the CC Reserve models given the carbon wheels and suspension etc..
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I sent WTB photos of the crack and they offered to replace the rim and pay for the labor... pretty cool of them. Unfortunately, they're having problems getting in contact with the shop that's doing the work so tomorrow will be day 7 of attempting to get them to respond to WTB. Should be back up and going sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by endorium View Post
    I demo'd the carbon version, and bought an alloy frame only. From a ride quality perspective I couldn't tell the difference if I was blindfolded. If you stand and lift both the alloy version will be noticeably heavier, but I can't tell riding it. From a % standpoint including the weight of both rider and bike 2lbs is negligible. The bike is still light enough that it doesn't feel heavy moving it around under me in the air, unlike my alloy DH bike. As JMac noted, the carbon rims on the demo were much more noticeable (stiffer). The alloy frame is SOLID. The main reason I avoid carbon is I don't like it's failure mode (I hate the idea of having to carry a broken bike out of the backcountry), and I don't like how easily it can be scratched/chipped (which can lead to failure). I have no such worries with this frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    I demo'd the carbon version, and bought an alloy frame only. From a ride quality perspective I couldn't tell the difference if I was blindfolded. If you stand and lift both the alloy version will be noticeably heavier, but I can't tell riding it. From a % standpoint including the weight of both rider and bike 2lbs is negligible. The bike is still light enough that it doesn't feel heavy moving it around under me in the air, unlike my alloy DH bike. As JMac noted, the carbon rims on the demo were much more noticeable (stiffer). The alloy frame is SOLID. The main reason I avoid carbon is I don't like it's failure mode (I hate the idea of having to carry a broken bike out of the backcountry), and I don't like how easily it can be scratched/chipped (which can lead to failure). I have no such worries with this frame.
    I think you are being overly fearful of carbon. SC carbon frames aren't significantly lighter than their alloy counterparts because from a carbon perspective they are built like tanks. I'm sure SC could make a far lighter frame than even their CC offerings if they were willing to accept a few more in field failures. The fact is that these things are pretty solid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GregorFuk View Post
    I think you are being overly fearful of carbon. SC carbon frames aren't significantly lighter than their alloy counterparts because from a carbon perspective they are built like tanks. I'm sure SC could make a far lighter frame than even their CC offerings if they were willing to accept a few more in field failures. The fact is that these things are pretty solid.
    I've had friends crack Santa Cruz carbon frames, it happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've had friends crack Santa Cruz carbon frames, it happens.
    Iíve seen friends crack alloy frame of various manufacturers, Santacruz included. I personally have had two alloy Turners fail on me. Whatís your point? I never claimed carbon frames were indestructible but I donít see them any more likely to fail than their alloy counterparts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GregorFuk View Post
    Iíve seen friends crack alloy frame of various manufacturers, Santacruz included. I personally have had two alloy Turners fail on me. Whatís your point? I never claimed carbon frames were indestructible but I donít see them any more likely to fail than their alloy counterparts.
    Carbon is more likely to fail catastrophically all else being equal (albeit still rare). There are various sources you can research on the topic, but here's one interview with Noel Bucklely (founder/engineer for Knolly) where he talks a bit about it - https://nsmb.com/articles/knolly-fou...ley-interview/. Are Santa Cruz's so overbuilt that you'd never need to worry about it? None of us have access to the data to know for sure, but for me the upside of carbon isn't there. Obviously your opinion may vary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had two alloy frames from different manufacturers break chainstays while riding.......probably could have ridden it out, sometimes you gotta walk out of the woods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Carbon is more likely to fail catastrophically all else being equal (albeit still rare).* There are various sources you can research on the topic, but here's one interview with Noel Bucklely (founder/engineer for Knolly) where he talks a bit about it - https://nsmb.com/articles/knolly-fou...ley-interview/.* Are Santa Cruz's so overbuilt that you'd never need to worry about it?* None of us have access to the data to know for sure, but for me the upside of carbon isn't there.* Obviously your opinion may vary.
    Talkin bout knolly, only frame I broke is the 1st gen Warden carbon, at the lower shock mount. I was using a coil shock, which in my not so expert opinion contributed to the more than usual stress on the shock mounts in the frame. Still waitin on their 2nd carbon offering, theyre a cool co. from exp...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using ****************android_app_mtbr

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So, finally tally here... for those who are running a MegNeg on their Bronson, what did you guys settle on for bands and tokens? After a brief delay, mine is showing up tomorrow so I'm going to toss it on after work.

I'm looking for some midstroke support and a little more bottoming resistance, while hopefully still maintaining the natural heaps of traction and stability that the Bronson offers in stock form.

To start, I was thinking about trying 3 bands in the negative chamber and having 1 token in the positive chamber. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Suggestions for a coil shock to run with the new cascade components link ?
    Is the CC DB iL any good ?, is it reliable now ?, weight of it is impressive for a coil but wonder if it will hold up to bike park abuse ?
    Ever get any recommendations for this? I'm wondering the same thing...I'm considering the EXT Storia V3 as a high-end option, but if there's something on the cheaper end that feels great, I'd love to hear about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by halfjewjace View Post
    Ever get any recommendations for this? I'm wondering the same thing...I'm considering the EXT Storia V3 as a high-end option, but if there's something on the cheaper end that feels great, I'd love to hear about it.
    I have ran a DB coil cs shock, a DHX2 and a EXT Storia V3.

The EXT is very nice, definitely if I had a choice of the DHX2 with a SLS spring or the EXT I would choose the EXT every single time, the performance was amazing (an EXT isn't much more with 2 springs here int he UK than the DHX2 with one SLS spring). The DB coil is a great shock, better than the DHX2, it has a far better climb switch than the DHX2 and can be bought a lot cheaper than the DHX2.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910