2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!

Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 03-20-2018 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/blur

Man, you've gotta be quick around here!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looks like they caved in after saying they wouldn't make a full suss xc bike again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This would go nice next to my Hightower.....but I must resist......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

k^2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wish it also came in 27.5 flavor. Nonetheless, I am glad they came to their senses and made a pure XC oriented light full suspension bike. Honestly I was expecting they would name it Tallboy XC. Now any takers for my Tallboy 2CC? .

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I wish we couldve gotten the pinkbike ride report on the Blur/34 combo. That interests me more than a stepcast or SID.

mtbr member
    I just dropped $$$ on new Epic last week. Last wheel the lightest most XC FS Santa Cruz was the Tallboy... Now...

Well can't go back so time to stick my head in the sand.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I just dropped $$$ on new Epic last week. Last wheel the lightest most XC FS Santa Cruz was the Tallboy... Now...

Well can't go back so time to stick my head in the sand.
    There's always ebay, craigslist, etc!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    I wish we couldve gotten the pinkbike ride report on the Blur/34 combo. That interests me more than a stepcast or SID.
    - Just KNOW it will be better than the aforementioned Stepcast/SID. Slap a Dropper on there and get the middle-width SCB Wheels and you'll have a sub 25# WEAPON.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Would be good to see a real world review rather than the Santa Cruz marketing machine going to town. While Santa Cruz make nice bikes they don't always make fast bikes, so feeling skeptical about the new blur as a xc race bike.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VERT1; 03-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Moderator Moderator
    Filmed on my home trails!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Yes, love it! I can ride those Skeggs trails blind-folded.

mtbr member
    There's always ebay, craigslist, etc!
    Yeah, but the real question is how the bike side by side. Impossible to know for sure right now. I know the Epic is fast bike and the blur has similar numbers. In the flesh on the trail is real judge. I believe the Blur will be competitive at the very least. It is too bad this came out now rather than a few weeks ago. Then I could given the blur a strong considerations. I alreay have two Santa Cruz bikes. My highball is really nice and I think underrated as XC HT. The 5010 is good, but not light and that in part due to how I built it. Still like it alot. The Epic is replacing the Highball and I would have given consideration to the Blur had I not already placed my order. In fact bike should be in my hands as early as today.

Good to see SC getting back in to this market as while the Tallboy is good not everyone wants a $5000 29lbs bike.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mine gets here thursday

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This new Blur seems to bridge the Specialized Epic to Camber gap that I was struggling to decide between. I was looking at Tallboys this week, but they seemed too trail for my racing aspirations, but then the Epic is too XC for my trail aspirations ....

Is there any of the online dealers who do 20% site wide sales etc that would cover bikes from Santa Cruz? Cambria? Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    This new Blur seems to bridge the Specialized Epic to Camber gap that I was struggling to decide between. I was looking at Tallboys this week, but they seemed too trail for my racing aspirations, but then the Epic is too XC for my trail aspirations ....

Is there any of the online dealers who do 20% site wide sales etc that would cover bikes from Santa Cruz? Cambria? Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist etc?
    Very unlikely an online retailer will give a discount on a brand new SC bike.
    These bikes might be hard to get for few months.
    SC bikes go on sale on BC or CC just before a replacement model is announced or when a new colors come out, which usually happens around 18 months into the models life.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    thats cool, he did one for the new highball as well so put that on that thread, he used to write and still does for some mountain bike mags in the uk, he has loads of other bikes on his you tube channel

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire View Post
    thats cool, he did one for the new highball as well so put that on that thread, he used to write and still does for some mountain bike mags in the uk, he has loads of other bikes on his you tube channel
    I like his style, very entertaining. Also, a great rider. Those trails are more technical than they look on the video, particularly when they are wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Is it a mistake in the spec sheet that shows the c-s and c-xe have non-boost front forks? They're shown as 100x15, yet the base s and x01 and xx1 reserve are boost.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Register to ActiveJunkey. gets you usually 8-12% off With CC or Backcountry.
    Oren

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What size at 5-9? It seems in the past these run small but the wheel base on a lg looks long and the reach numbers don't make a lot of sense compared to others...dealer doesn't have one to sit on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    What size at 5-9? It seems in the past these run small but the wheel base on a lg looks long and the reach numbers don't make a lot of sense compared to others...dealer doesn't have one to sit on.
    I'm a little taller, but also unsure of size. Their Large is only an 18.5'', yet in some other brands a Large is more nominally 19''. Definitely going to have to demo this (annoyingly the SC demo page says Blur is not in the mobile demo fleet, but that surely can't be true).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OrenPerets View Post
    Register to ActiveJunkey. gets you usually 8-12% off With CC or Backcountry.
    Oren
    My digging the last few days concluded the same thing.

1) Order through ActiveJunky from BC or CC
    2) Have shipped to where I'm going on vacation and they have no sales tax (hopefully this works)
    3) Buy on my 2% cashback credit card.

That'll all add up to about 20% savings over buying locally (I don't even know who sells SC in my area, so not like I'm cutting a LBS out of the deal ... I don't even have an LBS).

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, this doesn't help. as I mentioned the large wheel base is "too long" for a typical medium rider and not sure why with only a 69 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think that's what I will do as well. Last year I ordered a 4.5 and had it shipped to Vegas but they redirected the package to CA which saved me from paying sales tax.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm a little taller, but also unsure of size. Their Large is only an 18.5'', yet in some other brands a Large is more nominally 19''. Definitely going to have to demo this (annoyingly the SC demo page says Blur is not in the mobile demo fleet, but that surely can't be true).
    Seat tubes are so short these days that they don't provide an accurate measure of appropriate frame size. Better to use reach and stack - and better still to demo as you suggest.

bike tester
    st is shorter to make more room for a dropper. people still pick frame sizes based on sth other than reach or ett?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm looking at reach too, and I would describe their Large as on the smaller side (I'm talking 1/2'') than some of the other options I'm looking at. I'm using that geometry geek website to make sure I look at all dimensions.

Going back to 2006, when I last bought a full suspension mountain bike, I was never sure if I should go Medium or Large (in many brands). I ended up with a Large Titus (after first buying a medium and selling it after one ride). Now fast forward to 2016, and a friend who's a solid 1.5-2.0 inches shorter than me and came off a Medium Tomac, and went for a Large Blur TR. He loves it, fits him well, a good choice.

Now I'm not saying a Large isn't right for me, just that it appears that where I used to be on the cutoff between medium and large, now I'm definitely Large, but maybe even XL if I want to have a long top tube and short stem.

Demo or rental will be mandatory on this purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thinking hard of replacing my yeti ASRC with the blur. I had a tallboy 2 and the yeti at the same time. I loved the VPP of the tallboy but the front end of the yeti. I thought about a tallboy 3 but it was just so heavy and too close to my Hightower. The blur seems perfect, like an evolution of the Tallboy 2. I would use my 120mm pike on it and add a dropper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
    Thinking hard of replacing my yeti ASRC with the blur. I had a tallboy 2 and the yeti at the same time. I loved the VPP of the tallboy but the front end of the yeti. I thought about a tallboy 3 but it was just so heavy and too close to my Hightower. The blur seems perfect, like an evolution of the Tallboy 2. I would use my 120mm pike on it and add a dropper.
    There are the rumors about the ASR-C replacement to be announced at Sea Otter ... and it sounds pretty cool. (although all rumor).

Right now Blur tops my list. Given we've still got snow and the trails don't dry out until May/June, I'll have time to a) demo a Blur and b) see what the ASR replacement is like before I have to pull the trigger.

Seems like a great year to buy a xc/endurance/marathon/light trail bike.

I am Walt
    What's the max tire this will take? Did I see 2.4 somewhere? Will a 2.35 Ikon fit in the back?
    Ride more; post less...

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It has arrived in my garage. I just need to build it

2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-img_20180327_205638.jpg

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    It has arrived in my garage. I just need to build it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180327_205638.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	1189904
    Sweet

Ride more; post less...

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My blur is for sale if anyone in the sf bay area wants it. Its a size large X01 kit and I'll take 6200. Some assembly required

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Ahhh- thatís pretty.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    I guess itís safe to say that the suspension lock out hardware isnít included in frame only purchase?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The one you just got? What happened?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I decided I want a sniper more. I'm frustrated with the build kit because the wheels are crap (and centerlock!), theres no provisions for a chainguide, I cant get the stupid esi grips off, the stem is really long, theres no dropper post, and the ha is too steep. and even on a $6400 x01 build you have to suffer with that fox grip damper instead of a fit4

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My blur is for sale if anyone in the sf bay area wants it. Its a size large X01 kit and I'll take 6200. Some assembly required
    Wow! Impulse shopping + buyer's remorse. That was fast, but life's too short to ride the "wrong" bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I decided I want a sniper more. I'm frustrated with the build kit because the wheels are crap (and centerlock!), theres no provisions for a chainguide, I cant get the stupid esi grips off, the stem is really long, theres no dropper post, and the ha is too steep. and even on a $6400 x01 build you have to suffer with that fox grip damper instead of a fit4
    show a pic of the fork. it should be a fit 4 performance elite even though it looks like a performance grip it is a blacked out fit4 if it says elite under the 32 on the side. If it is a grip they sent you the wrong fork.
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 kona unit rigid

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hmm it does say elite. also evol but nowhere does it say fit4.

I put it together and weighed it. size large with xt brakes instead of level. including bottle cage and xt pedals its 23.6lbs

I am Walt
    hmm it does say elite. also evol but nowhere does it say fit4.

I put it together and weighed it. size large with xt brakes instead of level. including bottle cage and xt pedals its 23.6lbs
    That is a nice weight!

Ride more; post less...

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    25.25 with dropper

2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-img_20180328_161144.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    25.25 with dropper

Name:	IMG_20180328_161144.jpg 
Views:	2764 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1190081
    That was fast! Nice ride!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the fox dps comes with the largest 0.95 spacer already installed

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    25.25 with dropper

Name:	IMG_20180328_161144.jpg 
Views:	2764 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1190081
    That blue tape for the dropper cable is actually pretty cool! I,ll find some nice colored tape for my yellow TB, nicer than zipties now that i saw your pic. Thanks! (Selling the reverb unused and using my old trusty gravity dropper insread.. maybe update later to something modern but reliable, which reverb is not.)

mtbr member
    Sounds like you definitely got the wrong bike with respect to HTA and chain guide capability, but FWIW: If the fork has a blue lever and black knob on top, it's FiT4. The Grip dampers have a big blue knob with a pointer. To get ESI grips off, I have someone hold the bike and pull the inside edge of the trip toward the end of the bar with my finger tips. You can cut them off pretty easily too. There are adapters to mount six bolt rotors on C/L hubs. And, of course, you can fit a dropper.

Also FWIW: I wouldn't call riding a Grip damper suffering. They're pretty darn good in my experience, though I haven't ridden the one in the 32 forks.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    so anybody else got one yet? pictures

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    underneath the downtube rock guard is an access hole in the frame for routing an internal dropper.

you cant just buy the parts from fox to remove the remote, the factory has to do a full damper rebuild on the shock for $250. for the fork you can do it at home but you still have to swap the damper top cap

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How did that bike get up to 25.25?
    If it weighs 22.4 out of box plus dropper add 1/2lb and pedals add 3/4 lb = 23.65 round up for size = 24 what am I missing for another 1.25 lbs?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How did that bike get up to 25.25?
    If it weighs 22.4 out of box plus dropper add 1/2lb and pedals add 3/4 lb = 23.65 round up for size = 24 what am I missing for another 1.25 lbs?
    22.4 is a lie? also bottle cage and shimano brakes rather than level

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, that is my concern. I know the xo tall boy says ~26.5 on their site but when the mags weighed it was 29+...that hurts when you spend $6700...on a bike
    I am looking at the blur XE and wondering what it will really weigh when it says 24.11lbs. If it gets to be 26 before decent tires and pedals it is trail bike weight with 100mm fork

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think the 22.4 number is with the reserve wheels. but the price is without, which is what I have so that about explains the weight difference

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Weight is listed as a medium no paint matt carbon bike.
    Paint adds .4-.5 lb
    Each size adds .4-.5 lb
    Dropper and hardware is .75-1 lb
    Pedals add .65-1lb
    Water bottle cage is .1 lb
    If you change out the grips you add .1-.2 lb
    Bigger brakes and adapter add .1-.3
    Everything adds up fast. Tires and dropper are the biggest gains.
    If you want an Hard core XC bike it will be lite. As soon as you start going trail it will gain "good" weight and be far more versatile. Putting a 34 on this bike is crazy and you should just get a tallboy, as an identical complete build will be only be 1 lb heavier and a much better trail bike.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The web site says 22.37 with reserve wheels

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The tall boy is more versatile but weighs a lot more and the rear suspension is not as xc race friendly, no lock outs and actual weights are a lot more. As I mentioned MTB mag weighed the xo / $6700 version TB and it was 29.3lbs with pedals. The web says 26.5lbs and the only change was pedals. All mfg bend truth but I believe SC really pushed it regarding true weight of TB. (we will see on blur) A lot of people that race are running 100 rear, as light as "reasonable" combined with 120 forks to have a 25lb bike. If I look at an XE for example (black medium $4800) at 24.10 lbs plus real tires (add.75total) and pedals (add.75/300g) you are at 25.6...add a 34 x 120mm(1lb) and you are at 26.6lbs.(race wheels deduct 1lb as an option) A TB would be 29-30 lbs with pedals and would not pedal as well or have remote lock outs.(and long wb) 3.0 lbs is a lot combined with long wheelbase and less efficient pedal tune etc.

The tall boy is more versatile but weighs a lot more and the rear suspension is not as xc race friendly, no lock outs and actual weights are a lot more. As I mentioned MTB mag weighed the xo / $6700 version TB and it was 29.3lbs with pedals. The web says 26.5lbs and the only change was pedals. All mfg bend truth but I believe SC really pushed it regarding true weight of TB. (we will see on blur) A lot of people that race are running 100 rear, as light as "reasonable" combined with 120 forks to have a 25lb bike. If I look at an XE for example (black medium $4800) at 24.10 lbs plus real tires (add.75total) and pedals (add.75/300g) you are at 25.6...add a 34 x 120mm(1lb) and you are at 26.6lbs.(race wheels deduct 1lb as an option) A TB would be 29-30 lbs with pedals and would not pedal as well or have remote lock outs.(and long wb) 3.0 lbs is a lot combined with long wheelbase and less efficient pedal tune etc.
    A tallboy is not as good of a XC race bike for the reasons you mentioned. Your weights are off though. A tallboy frame with paint is 1-1.5 lb heavier. If you look at identical builds the frame weight will be the only difference.
    My XXL tallboy with pedals and DHF 2.5 tires is 28.3 lb.

Frame weights
    Tallboy medium gray 2630g
    Blur medium black 2060g
    Blur red adds about 200g
    570g = 1.25lb
    Last edited by alexbn921; 04-03-2018 at 01:42 PM.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    A tallboy is not as good of a XC race bike for the reasons you mentioned. Your weights are off though. A tallboy frame with paint is 1-1.5 lb heavier. If you look at identical builds the frame weight will be the only difference.
    My XXL tallboy with pedals and DHF 2.5 tires is 28.3 lb.
    Sorry if my post was confusing or offensive as the frame, fork and tires are the majority of the weight difference. All combined ~3-4lbs on equal $$ build, The frame seems to be 1.5+lbs of that as you said.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The web site says 22.37 with reserve wheels
    sounds right then. i have the dt 350/xr316 wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Anyone of you lovelies able to tell me or show pics of the tire clearance? Would a 2.4 with some knobs on maybe i25 fit?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Anyone of you lovelies able to tell me or show pics of the tire clearance? Would a 2.4 with some knobs on maybe i25 fit?
    I believe SC site says max tire size is 2.4 but doesn't specify wheel used. However, seeing that some come wit a 24IW It seems logical it would fit

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any one have a chance to ride the new blur and compare to a tb3? Am thinking of going with the new blur and swapping parts over from my tb3. Need a bike to do a 7 day race over technical terrain this summer. Love my tb3 but am thinking that the blur might climb better thus save some energy. Would put a 120 fork on the blur if I do the swap. Any thoughts?

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Be prepared: someone will tell you if you are going to run a 34- stick with your Tallboy, apples to apples the Tallboy will be better with a 34. Jury is still out on that one.
    I think the happy spot is a Blurr cc frame with stock fork- i26 rims (Stanís or carbon)- dropper-front tire with cornering knobs. Then youíll have a modern geo ish- not overboard on slack & floppy - sub 25 pound bike, ready for 98% of what mortals ride- but climb like a ďmonkeyĒ or goat/ your choice on critter.
    Currently challenge is buying frame only and getting Santa Cruz to send you a 32 SC 100mm with matching color decals 44mm offset- as off shelf ďI thinkĒ are all 52mm offset- not how SC designed it. However a ďgood to greatĒ bike shop can get that done, if you are nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If anybody is building a new Blur up from scratch, Colorado Cyclist has a nice deal on the Fox 32 x country race fork.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/fox-...-kabolt-orange

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    If anybody is building a new Blur up from scratch, Colorado Cyclist has a nice deal on the Fox 32 x country race fork.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/fox-...-kabolt-orange
    good deal but wrong wheel size. blur needs a 29er fork
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 kona unit rigid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672 View Post
    good deal but wrong wheel size. blur needs a 29er fork
    Sorry didn't catch the wheel size LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fbc1967 View Post
    Any one have a chance to ride the new blur and compare to a tb3? Am thinking of going with the new blur and swapping parts over from my tb3. Need a bike to do a 7 day race over technical terrain this summer. Love my tb3 but am thinking that the blur might climb better thus save some energy. Would put a 120 fork on the blur if I do the swap. Any thoughts?
    I've got a few rides, including one race, on my new Blur, and test rode a Tallboy a couple times. The geometry comes out very close with a 120mm fork, so if you're keeping that a lot of it will come down to any difference in the rear suspension.

If it's mostly technical singletrack, the TB might not give up much in the climbing department. I'd say its rear suspension is a tad more supple, as you'd expect from the longer travel/shock stroke. That could actually come in handy if you're hunting for traction a lot of the time.

On the other hand, if there are significant sections that might have you wishing for a hardtail, the Blur, especially with its lockout, is what you'll want. I can't imagine violent accelerations play a big part in such a race, but that is one area where the Blur really shines.

I'm a big fan of the second bottle mount on the Blur, and it seems like that might have some application for your intended use? Otherwise I'd say they're more alike than different (with a given fork/build), just comes down to whether you want to prioritize climbing efficiency or bump absorption from the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Blur with new 120 stepcast: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15777430/

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Blur with new 120 stepcast: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15777430/
    I know what fork I am putting on my blur

Can anybody tell me if I swap for a 120mm fork should it be the same offset as the 100mm fork ie 44mm?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny12345 View Post
    I know what fork I am putting on my blur

Can anybody tell me if I swap for a 120mm fork should it be the same offset as the 100mm fork ie 44mm?
    "Should it"
    The answer is up to you. I believe in 44 offset as 51 over steer however, some would say more slack make steering quicker with 51. Intense is running a 44 on 67.5 ht and I don't like 51 so I'd say 44but...that's just one opinion

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Did some searching...It seems the step cast 120 34 is only .18lbs lighter than a standard 34 factory. @120 (if all numbers are honest) Not saying I wont take .2 lbs but the price has gone up $150 ish as well and you cant adjust a step cast down the road if you decide to insert on a trail bike. If you see different weights let me know but I am sure the "old" 34's will be discounted as well. Don't be confused with the 1/2lb savings as they are comparing apples and oranges with a 27.5 in the mix. I called Fox, could not confirm weight of new 34/29/sc....I think if it was substantial they would be saying it loud and proud...hope I am wrong

Did some searching...It seems the step cast 120 34 is only .18lbs lighter than a standard 34 factory. @120 (if all numbers are honest) Not saying I wont take .2 lbs but the price has gone up $150 ish as well and you cant adjust a step cast down the road if you decide to insert on a trail bike. If you see different weights let me know but I am sure the "old" 34's will be discounted as well. Don't be confused with the 1/2lb savings as they are comparing apples and oranges with a 27.5 in the mix. I called Fox, could not confirm weight of new 34/29/sc....I think if it was substantial they would be saying it loud and proud...hope I am wrong
    a factory 29er 34 is 1840 with star nut and crown race + qr axle
    Step cast 29er 34 is 1665 with same setup.
    So 175g, 0.386lb which is pretty damn good for a burly XC fork. Kabolt will drop another 40g.
    This will make the Blur a true long distance trail slayer.
    https://www.ambmag.com.au/news/first...ep-cast-488660
    Last edited by alexbn921; 04-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    a factory 29er 34 is 1840 with star nut and crown race + qr axle
    Step cast 29er 34 is 1665 with same setup.
    So 175g, 0.386lb which is pretty damn good for a burly XC fork. Kabolt will drop another 40g.
    This will make the Blur a true long distance trail slayer.
    I like your numbers more. Clearly I am using a different and hopefully wrong publication. BTW FOX said initial offset release is 51 only and not available until mid May (assume oem orders filled first) We shall see..

mtbr member
    my 2018 Fox 32 SC 100mm is 1362 grams with cut steer tube and star nut with a Kabolt.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Good to know! Iím looking at a frame build + 100mm SC.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    my 2018 Fox 32 SC 100mm is 1362 grams with cut steer tube and star nut with a Kabolt.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    SC Blur - ? Low BB ? Spec says 326 but did anyone measure as they tend to round up...pedal strikes suck

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    I raised the effective B.B. height by 5mm by speccing a 170mm crank, Iím average height 5-11. Call me crazy but I canít tell the difference as I ride a 175 on my other bike. 5mm helps, but Iíll have a solid idea of the blurrs pedal strike- low B.B.- or if the low B.B. raises the fun factor in carving turns as my frame is in and being built ASAP

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    I raised the effective B.B. height by 5mm by speccing a 170mm crank, Iím average height 5-11. Call me crazy but I canít tell the difference as I ride a 175 on my other bike. 5mm helps, but Iíll have a solid idea of the blurrs pedal strike- low B.B.- or if the low B.B. raises the fun factor in carving turns as my frame is in and being built ASAP
    Ok so you compensated the low bracket for short cranks...not something I am willing to do as I can tell a difference for certain.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    excellent. I didn't do it for the Blur specifically, I'm moving them from a previous build - not to start a physics discussion, but it could be argued that 170 cranks fit "a lot" of riders - it has to do with leverage and angle of femur - acute vs obtuse - top of stroke- really nit picky fit options... I know - here we go down the rabbit hole of crank sizes... sorry I will concede- your are definitely more "in the know" on crank sizes.
    Luckily there are options for all of us. I just saw the Yeti released their secret trail bike. No buyers remorse here. HTA 67, Wheel base 46.?... I prefer a 69 hta & shorter Wb. Once again different strokes for different folks. I "thought" Yeti might make me regret my decision, IMHO: but they have built a very capable & "kinda" heavy and long trail bike -xc bike that will certainly slay XC courses and be perfect for many riders. But what makes me super resilient in my choice is 4Lbs for like builds (in other words the Yeti is heavier). Yes that's probably due to 120 vs 100 forks, dropper, & tires. But on a climb, if I can leave a 3 bricks at the bottom of the trail instead of carrying them up, I'll take it. The blur is definitely the bike for me, however I know many folks will dig the new Yeti. I'm going to go ride my damn bike as soon as it's GTG!
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

No "regrAts"

First ride - Loved it. 25 awesome pounds. I did not go weight weeny max. I'll enjoy it "as is" for a while as a light fun competent trail - XC bike before I shredding grams. I loved the lock out on FS road climb, and dropper on decent and dropped seat made carving on flow trail - a blast. Admittedly it's early for a thorough review. But... it currently has Maxxis 2.35 Ikon rear - 2.35 Ardent Race front ( good compromise for weight - grip imho). KS Dropper- 26mm internal Arch Rims - Alum. handlebar. So far - so Good. This bike checks a lot of boxes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-img_0546.jpg  

[I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Can anyone confirm if the CC frame only comes with lockout controls?

In the middle of gathering parts for the frame up. I am building one with a F34. Iím not a super light rider (185-190).

I have read and a lot of people agree the deflection in the F32 is better for lighter guys. While Iím certainly not a fat guy, Iím not a skinny as a rail 150lb rider!

Like the double strut rear on this bike, 100mm is enough for local rides.

I have a Tallboy 3 ground up with with a F34/130, DPX2 rear. Maxxis DHF 2.5/Maxxis Ikon 2.35 rear on Ibis 942/I9 build wheels. Itís efficient but I want a TAD more XC with my TB feel. It def has been my go to rig. I have a Hightower as well but is reserved for days when I know I need more travel. It doesnít get used much but thatís ok.

I have Pillarcarbon Trails/I9 straight pull hubs ordered. I was going to go Reserve but I am so confident and in love with the spoke system of the I9 sets... I could not help myself!
    Last edited by Milkman3371; 04-17-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Yes- mine came with lock out controls. If you want to lock out the 34 you will have to get the conversation hardware. Itís a solid firm climbing rig. I went 100mm factory specfork- with lock outs you can mash up most climbs. I love it. Iím 195lbs and find the 32 good to go. You canít point it and let the bike do all the work on the really steeps, but itís more than capable. I would ride it anywhere I previously rode 130mm fork bike. Have fun.
    Last edited by fat-but-slow; 04-17-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

Illuminati
    does anyone in the UK/europe have one yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scant View Post
    does anyone in the UK/europe have one yet?
    Based in the UK

I ordered mine on the 27th March from Leisure Lakes. Last update was last week and that they will be in the UK 30th April.

Have you ordered yours yet? Do you have an ETA?

Illuminati
    I was hoping to see one first. you know more than me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes- mine came with lock out controls. If you want to lock out the 34 you will have to get the conversation hardware. Itís a solid firm climbing rig. I went 100mm factory specfork- with lock outs you can mash up most climbs. I love it. Iím 195lbs and find the 32 good to go. You canít point it and let the bike do all the work on the really steeps, but itís more than capable. I would ride it anywhere I rodemy previous 130mm fork bike. Have fun.
    I'm very interested in the Blur, but I'm holding out for a TR version with the new Step Cast 34! That would be the perfect replacement for my TB2c on my local trails.

Quote Originally Posted by sns1294 View Post
    I'm very interested in the Blur, but I'm holding out for a TR version with the new Step Cast 34! That would be the perfect replacement for my TB2c on my local trails.
    LOL. They already have the TR and it called a Tallboy 3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    To each his own. The TB3 is more weight and more slack than needed "here". A 120mm Blur would be the happy medium between what the TB2 was and the TB3 is, at least for me and my local rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Couldnít you just get a blur and put the 34 step cast on it.

I think thatís what Iím going to do.

The tallboy is too heavy...especially since I have a Hightower.

Quote Originally Posted by sns1294 View Post
    To each his own. The TB3 is more weight and more slack than needed "here". A 120mm Blur would be the happy medium between what the TB2 was and the TB3 is, at least for me and my local rides.
    FYI TB3 and blur have identical HTA with a 120 fork. A blur with a 120 fork would make for a great light duty trail bike.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    This is what I know. After riding the Blur as Santa Cruz intended it and decreasing minutes off a sustained climb Iíve ridden many times on Super lightweight hard tail Singlespeeds & FS bikes and beating all of them significantly & having a helluva fun time on the climb & descent... Iíd take Santa Cruzís lead and leave it alone.
    But telling some folks theyíd be happier with ďlessĒ suspension is like giving a chubby kid a salad for dinner. That is cruel, and Iíd never do it. So go ahead and turn an awesome lightweight XC-trail rig with perfect geo into a Tallboy 2.75.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Iím not sure why people are getting wound up about a fork. I think some of it is where you ride. Here in Tucson the trails are so rough and rocky that the extra stiffness of a beefier fork ends up being a good trade for the weight. I had a fox 32 on my tallboy 2 and it was killing me, put a pike on it and I ended up being quicker due to the bike being more able to suck up the chatter. So for me, I want a lightweight fast bike that can handle my local trails.

A blur with a dropper and 34 SC will still be 1.5 lbs lighter than a top shelf tallboy 3.

mtbr member
    Iím not sure why people are getting wound up about a fork. I think some of it is where you ride. Here in Tucson the trails are so rough and rocky that the extra stiffness of a beefier fork ends up being a good trade for the weight. I had a fox 32 on my tallboy 2 and it was killing me, put a pike on it and I ended up being quicker due to the bike being more able to suck up the chatter. So for me, I want a lightweight fast bike that can handle my local trails.

A blur with a dropper and 34 SC will still be 1.5 lbs lighter than a top shelf tallboy 3.
    Agreed, but then again here in SD it is rocky and lots of climbs. If you go 120 you will give up that gorgeous 74 degree seat tube angle and make the bike 73 degree seat tube angle. BB will be raised also.

Turtle Rider
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    If you go 120 you will give up that gorgeous 74 degree seat tube angle and make the bike 73 degree seat tube angle. BB will be raised also.
    Has anyone given it a good ride with a 120 and can comment around the change in seat tube angle? Could you even feel any difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SideSwip View Post
    Has anyone given it a good ride with a 120 and can comment around the change in seat tube angle? Could you even feel any difference?
    Built mine up with a 120, so can't really comment on the difference, but should be ~10mm, or well within the range of adjustment on most saddles. Mine is centered to get the proper set back to BB, so I actually prefer the 73* STA.

Keep in mind the bike only has 100mm of rear travel and is a very crisp pedaler (even when not locked out) so its not like it's going to be sinking deep into its travel when climbing. In turn, a super steep STA is not required to keep weight on the front end.

Formerly of Kent

Apparently my local SC dealer isnít going to stock these. Despite sponsoring a road/CX/XC team. Weird.

So, as I havenít seen one in person, can someone tell me:

Does the shock/remote only have two settings? Just fully open and locked out? Or an open/firmer/locked like a ďnormalĒ Fox DPS?

No review Iíve seen clarifies that. Nor does their website.

Death from Below.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    locked and open only. I suspect they did this for the euro market because it seems dumb to me but euros love that. I sent my shock in and had it converted to 3 way adjust

Formerly of Kent
    locked and open only. I suspect they did this for the euro market because it seems dumb to me but euros love that. I sent my shock in and had it converted to 3 way adjust
    The funny thing is that one of the most popular bikes in Euro-land, the Spark 900, comes with a three setting remote.

Strange.

Death from Below.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    also I forgot to mention that you cant just remove the remote because the shocks default to locked out.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    also I forgot to mention that you cant just remove the remote because the shocks default to locked out.
    If you use a small section (say an inch long) housing and run the cable through it and turn shock to the open mode and secure cable it is now left open. Not sure I explained that well but easy.
    The oem setting I call push to plush. The lock out is as rigid as you'll find too for both fork and rear.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you use a small section (say an inch long) housing and run the cable through it and turn shock to the open mode and secure cable it is now left open. Not sure I explained that well but easy.
    The oem setting I call push to plush. The lock out is as rigid as you'll find too for both fork and rear.
    yeah there are ways around it but its so lame. for the fork I removed the remote hardware and 3d printed a knob to replace it

2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-img_20180330_171323.jpg

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yeah there are ways around it but its so lame. for the fork I removed the remote hardware and 3d printed a knob to replace it

Name:	IMG_20180330_171323.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	1193738
    Creative, and very nice work but I would never remove lock out form the fork. If anything, maybe the rear, but I like having the option to lock fully out otherwise just pedal

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    where did you send it to have it converted? How much is it to have done? What was the turn around time? I don't understand why a company wouldn't offer both a non lockout and a lockout option. I was not considering the blur because of the lockout(I have zero use for one) but if the shock can be converted that would work.
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 kona unit rigid

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672 View Post
    where did you send it to have it converted? How much is it to have done? What was the turn around time? I don't understand why a company wouldn't offer both a non lockout and a lockout option. I was not considering the blur because of the lockout(I have zero use for one) but if the shock can be converted that would work.
    fox. turnaround is 3-4 business days. fill out an online RA form.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Creative, and very nice work but I would never remove lock out form the fork. If anything, maybe the rear, but I like having the option to lock fully out otherwise just pedal
    well it still has lockout I just have to reach down and twist the knob. the remote would only get in the way of the dropper

Turtle Rider
    Apr 2005
    Agreed, but then again here in SD it is rocky and lots of climbs. If you go 120 you will give up that gorgeous 74 degree seat tube angle and make the bike 73 degree seat tube angle. BB will be raised also.
    Found this web app https://bikegeo.muha.cc/

Not sure how accurate it is but here is the model with the Fox 32 vs Fox 34

2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-2018_santa_cruz_blur_120mm_geometry_impact.png

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    can anyone figure out why sc maxed out the volume spacer rather than just specing a small volume eyelet? its kind of taken away a lot of our tuning options

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

That's where I'm at. My TB2 had the 120mm Fox 32 and at 200lbs I definitely could tell it was flexy under me. My local riding is Midwest singletrack so a lot of tight twisty XC with some punchy ups and downs. I've got a bigger trail bike for rowdier locations, but the Blur 34 combo would be a perfect local trail ripper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SideSwip View Post
    Found this web app https://bikegeo.muha.cc/

Not sure how accurate it is but here is the model with the Fox 32 vs Fox 34

Name:	2018_Santa_Cruz_Blur_120mm_Geometry_Impact.PNG 
Views:	418 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	1193984
    Nice, thanks for that. Reach is also shortened.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice, thanks for that. Reach is also shortened.
    Indeed, thanks. The 120 fork resulting in 72.7 seat angle is a deal breaker for me combined with a shortened reach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What would result be using 100mm fork with 51mm offset on new Blur?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Indeed, thanks. The 120 fork resulting in 72.7 seat angle is a deal breaker for me combined with a shortened reach.
    Not challenging as each is own and I generally like a steep sa too. However, I am just curious why the seat tube angle is so sensitive. I set my fore and aft the same as I believe that is critical, But most of my bikes always have rear offset posts. With a straight post I set up a slack seat post bike (same as blur at 74) and it worked fine with straight post, in fact I was front justified on the rails (could slide seat back plenty) Also with a long reach (sc calls 440) that is about 10 longer than epic, heihei etc so running a 120fork will reduce reach by 10 to around the "popular" 430. I believe there is room to drop plenty of stem shims or invert to maintain stack.
    Again, I normally have been a steep seat tube firm believer but not sure why anymore?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not challenging as each is own and I generally like a steep sa too. However, I am just curious why the seat tube angle is so sensitive. I set my fore and aft the same as I believe that is critical, But most of my bikes always have rear offset posts. With a straight post I set up a slack seat post bike (same as blur at 74) and it worked fine with straight post, in fact I was front justified on the rails (could slide seat back plenty) Also with a long reach (sc calls 440) that is about 10 longer than epic, heihei etc so running a 120fork will reduce reach by 10 to around the "popular" 430. I believe there is room to drop plenty of stem shims or invert to maintain stack.
    Again, I normally have been a steep seat tube firm believer but not sure why anymore?
    The hei hei large 29 frame reach is 455 with 100mm fork. I was mistaken. I thought it was 455 with 120 fork. So the blur is longer. Only diff is SA is 75 vs 74. Hmmmm, this may open things back up again.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The hei hei large 29 frame reach is 455 with 100mm fork. I was mistaken. I thought it was 455 with 120 fork. So the blur is longer. Only diff is SA is 75 vs 74. Hmmmm, this may open things back up again.
    If it helps, your fork in the chart was a touch long too. a 34 is 527 changing head angle and seat angle to 67.91 and 72.91 respectively at 120.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anyone have any miles on yet? Wondering about the bb height; The geo chart says 328 but told measures more like 325, pretty low. My riding has a ton of rocks and roots and not sure about pedal strikes as you really pedal through the stuff (yes, aware of ratcheting or shorter cranks but prefer to pedal like current rides)

mtbr member
    Anyone have any miles on yet? Wondering about the bb height; The geo chart says 328 but told measures more like 325, pretty low. My riding has a ton of rocks and roots and not sure about pedal strikes as you really pedal through the stuff (yes, aware of ratcheting or shorter cranks but prefer to pedal like current rides)
    3mm?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    3mm?
    Forgive me, I thought 328 was low, and when reality is closer to 324 it reinforces the question/concern. Yeti 331, epic 332,, intense 330 for example and seeing some people change cranks from 175 to 170 with pedal strikes clearly 5-7mm is a difference.(especially in my terrain) Most bikes are 330+ (except scott)
    Last edited by 17j; 04-25-2018 at 03:21 AM.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    seems like a 110 fork might be the way to go. too bad the 32sc cant be extended

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    seems like a 110 fork might be the way to go. too bad the 32sc cant be extended
    Bet someone cuts down the air shaft on Fox 120mm 34.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    bushing overlap. but you can get a 34sc and add a 10mm spacer on the air shaft

bushing overlap. but you can get a 34sc and add a 10mm spacer on the air shaft
    I think he meant cut down a 34 air shaft for a 110mm 34 step cast. 32 stepcast can not be extended.
    Fox no longer uses spaces for travel adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    "Fox has told us that later in the year you will be able to buy shorter air springs in order to space it down to 110mm or 100mm, which could be an ideal option for heavier XC racers." from SingleTracks review

mtbr member
    If you go for it, please let us know how it compared to the TB2.
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Picked up a new XL blur to replace my 10 year old 3x9 HT.

Got the R trim.

Plan is 120 34 step cast and a dropper.

mtbr member

Blur in process of being built up - final pics coming soon. The color in real life is absolutely stunning. It is less red in person.

mtbr member

FINALLY got my Blur and took it for a test ride today.

Initial impressions is that this bike is extremely fast, an excellent climber and confidence inspiring on downhills. No, it isn't as good as say a Hightower for shredding the gnar, but for its intended purpose, I feel very confident. My past XC bike in comparison was a medium Pivot 429 Carbon. I was originally thinking I would upgrade the fork to 120, but honestly, I don't need it. The longer reach on this bike gives a lot of confidence, and I didn't even use all of the travel over almost 30 miles of riding.

I am 5'10" and got a large. I weigh 215 lbs kitted up and set the fork and shock to 25% sag.

I added a LEV Ci 150mm dropper, and it took a bit of fiddling to get the actuator button to play nicely with the lockouts but all is good now. Of note is the lockout locks BOTH front and rear shock out at the same time. There is no provision to lock one or the other. I found the feature useful to hammer out some standing climbs during my ride.

I used my own LB wheelset with an Ardent on the front, and an Ardent Race on the back just to familiarize myself with the bike. After getting back from the ride, I put the Aspen's on so we will see how that goes. Bike porn below:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I actually love the Aspens. I've been out twice now and those tires are extremely fast. I used to run 2.35 Ikons on the front on my previous bike and had the front wipe out on me once and a few close calls. The Aspen is actually super confidence inspiring comparatively.

When I go up to the Alpine trails I may put something more aggressive on like I usually do but here in Dallas I think it's perfect.

I think you're right about the fork too. I may go to a 34 SC 120mm eventually so I can run a 200mm rotor when I go up to Colorado on some trails I get terrible brake fade on but the 100mm seems perfect right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    I actually love the Aspens. I've been out twice now and those tires are extremely fast. I used to run 2.35 Ikons on the front on my previous bike and had the front wipe out on me once and a few close calls. The Aspen is actually super confidence inspiring comparatively.

When I go up to the Alpine trails I may put something more aggressive on like I usually do but here in Dallas I think it's perfect.

I think you're right about the fork too. I may go to a 34 SC 120mm eventually so I can run a 200mm rotor when I go up to Colorado on some trails I get terrible brake fade on but the 100mm seems perfect right now.
    The Aspens donít have the EXO casing - any concerns for punctures?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Aspens donít have the EXO casing - any concerns for punctures?
    It's not that interesting here in Dallas I will never ruin a tire here..

Although I split an EXO casing tire in Arkansas though so my confidence in that casing isn't the best.

mtbr member
    It's not that interesting here in Dallas I will never ruin a tire here..

Although I split an EXO casing tire in Arkansas though so my confidence in that casing isn't the best.
    Cool - the 540 grams is definitely hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    A Blur with the new Fox 34 Stepcast will be my next bike. I originally had a 120mm Fox 32 on my Tallboy 2. After switching to a Fox 34 last year I'll never own another 32. By the way I'm 6'0" 210 pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So today was meant to be new bike day but have been told its delayed by 15 more days before its in the UK

Anybody in the uk / eurorpe got theirs yet?

Illuminati
    So today was meant to be new bike day but have been told its delayed by 15 more days before its in the UK

Anybody in the uk / eurorpe got theirs yet?
    i'm in the UK & heard the same

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got mine today (DK). But it will take some time to build. I need to find another fork and maybe shock.

mtbr member
    Just posting my bike weight.

Lev Ci 150mm dropper
    Maxxis Aspen Exo 2.25 tires
    Light Bicycle XC rims (24mm IW)
    XTR pedals
    Specialized Henge Expert saddle
    XO1 build

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First ride aboard the new Blur today. I'm all ready in love
    #selfie 😉
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-img_20180503_162841.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Esben View Post
    First ride aboard the new Blur today. I'm all ready in love
    #selfie 😉
    Fox 34 on the front 120mm travel? What size frame is it? Any idea of the weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, that's a Fox 34/120 from my Tallboy. I use a Grpdhift micro index for the rear shock.
    It's a size medium.
    With another fork and no dropper, but still a strong xc build 9.5 kg is not a problem to reach. A weight weenie setup could end up around or below 9 kg.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis Prince View Post
    A Blur with the new Fox 34 Stepcast will be my next bike. I originally had a 120mm Fox 32 on my Tallboy 2. After switching to a Fox 34 last year I'll never own another 32. By the way I'm 6'0" 210 pounds.
    Curious about what size Santa Cruz you'll be on at 6.0''.

Seems Large's are being ridden by people down to 5'10'' ... so if that means you and I (I'm a hair shorter than you) are on XL, that would mean anyone over like 6'3'' is just not catered for ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kriedel View Post
    "Fox has told us that later in the year you will be able to buy shorter air springs in order to space it down to 110mm or 100mm, which could be an ideal option for heavier XC racers." from SingleTracks review
    At 180 +/- 10 lbs, a Fox 120mm 34 that I can relatively easily adjust from 100 to 110 to 120mm ... that is definitely going to be on the list of upgrades.

Now if I'm changing the fork, should I just get the base Blur and save my money? I'll do the Fork and could easily swap out the groupset for one from an online store. I was tending towards the $4400 version ... but maybe it would be more efficient to go base and upgrade ....

Thoughts ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    At 180 +/- 10 lbs, a Fox 120mm 34 that I can relatively easily adjust from 100 to 110 to 120mm ... that is definitely going to be on the list of upgrades.

Now if I'm changing the fork, should I just get the base Blur and save my money? I'll do the Fork and could easily swap out the groupset for one from an online store. I was tending towards the $4400 version ... but maybe it would be more efficient to go base and upgrade ....

Thoughts ?
    That's why I got the base. I wanted the GX Eagle groupset too but 34 Fork later this year send me from the S to R

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Curious about what size Santa Cruz you'll be on at 6.0''.

Seems Large's are being ridden by people down to 5'10'' ... so if that means you and I (I'm a hair shorter than you) are on XL, that would mean anyone over like 6'3'' is just not catered for ...
    Anyone at 6'4-6'5 on an XL would have 10+ inches of seatpost extension and a 100-120mm stem from the 70mm stock. It would be ok maybe not ideal. But yeah there's no 6'8" version..

At 6'3" with a 36" cycling inseam I have 9.5" of seatpost extension and a 90mm stem. I kept stock handlebar height because I don't want to smash my controls on the top tube but I could have dropped it a bit and kept the stock stem.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    After putting over 200 miles & approx. 20k climbing on my Blur ( ks dropper- stans Arch 26mm rims- Ikon 2.35 r, Ardent Race f- XO Build- stock 100mm fork)This is the bike I wanted when I sold my TB1. I love the dual lock outs, it glides ďuphillĒ, lock for rigid efficiency, open for comfort, but zero bouncing. Itís simple: lightweight bikes weighing closer to 20 pounds are fun. The Geo on the 100mm and semi slack hta with dropper allows for effective ABS ( A$$ Behind Seat) fast descending! Itís a keeper.2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-img_0630.jpg
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    After putting over 200 miles & approx. 20k climbing on my Blur ( ks dropper- stans Arch 26mm rims- Ikon 2.35 r, Ardent Race f- XO Build- stock 100mm fork)This is the bike I wanted when I sold my TB1. I love the dual lock outs, it glides ďuphillĒ, lock for rigid efficiency, open for comfort, but zero bouncing. Itís simple: lightweight bikes weighing closer to 20 pounds are fun. The Geo on the 100mm and semi slack hta with dropper allows for effective ABS ( A$$ Behind Seat) fast descending! Itís a keeper.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	1196575
    Couldnít agree more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just posting my bike weight.

Lev Ci 150mm dropper
    Maxxis Aspen Exo 2.25 tires
    Light Bicycle XC rims (24mm IW)
    XTR pedals
    Specialized Henge Expert saddle
    XO1 build

other then lake hodges, where in SD do you ride where you can do a nice distance where an xc bike would be better then a bigger bike?

mtbr member
    Whats the exact, real frame weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone at 6'4-6'5 on an XL would have 10+ inches of seatpost extension and a 100-120mm stem from the 70mm stock. It would be ok maybe not ideal. But yeah there's no 6'8" version..

At 6'3" with a 36" cycling inseam I have 9.5" of seatpost extension and a 90mm stem. I kept stock handlebar height because I don't want to smash my controls on the top tube but I could have dropped it a bit and kept the stock stem.
    Thanks. So weird to me to have gone from being between a Medium and Large when I bought a bike last time, to being between Large and XL this time ... and if anything I'm shorter now than I was in my 20's ... I really don't feel I should be on an XL ... That seems crazy when there are so many people around taller than me.

It would suck to be a tall mountain biker, as like you say, 6'6'' and you're really out of luck ... even with 29ers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Worker View Post
    Whats the exact, real frame weight?
    Plenty of articles online that mention this.

mtbr member
    May 2007

It would suck to be a tall mountain biker, as like you say, 6'6'' and you're really out of luck ... even with 29ers.
    Trek makes XXL

mtbr member
    Plenty of articles online that mention this.
    Yes, but for me only your pics of the frame on a scale Do really count.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Worker View Post
    Yes, but for me only your pics of the frame on a scale Do really count.
    Lol not going to disassemble bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I demoed a Medium size.2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-blur2.jpeg

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    what kind of volume reducers and air pressure are you guys running in your 32sc and whats your weight? having a lot of trouble getting this thing dialed

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks. So weird to me to have gone from being between a Medium and Large when I bought a bike last time, to being between Large and XL this time ... and if anything I'm shorter now than I was in my 20's ... I really don't feel I should be on an XL ... That seems crazy when there are so many people around taller than me.

I was a little surprised when I saw that Reggie Miller (6í7Ē) has been riding and racing an XL blur. Iím 6í5Ē on an XXL Tallboy 2 and the Blurís reach looks fine but the stack height appears way too low. But he seems to make it work, so I dunno, maybe itís doable:

https://instagram.com/p/BiGBYawhi6L/

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    How do you do that? How to secure the cable to left the shock open? thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    I was a little surprised when I saw that Reggie Miller (6í7Ē) has been riding and racing an XL blur. Iím 6í5Ē on an XXL Tallboy 2 and the Blurís reach looks fine but the stack height appears way too low. But he seems to make it work, so I dunno, maybe itís doable:

https://instagram.com/p/BiGBYawhi6L/

I am 6'3 and I demoed an XL, felt great, near felt tight at all, actually reach was more comfortable than my 2016 Epic. My XL will be in first of June.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKNG View Post
    I am 6'3 and I demoed an XL, felt great, near felt tight at all, actually reach was more comfortable than my 2016 Epic. My XL will be in first of June.
    Iím 6í5Ē and would have to trouble riding the XL. Iím currently on an XXL TB3 which is only 15mm more in reach but has a higher stack. I like the lower stack on the Blur because it an XC machine. Iím also not a huge fan of shorty stems on XC Bikes so Iíd go with a 70 or 80mm.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I need to write up a full review but this bike is the best. It is so fast!

I've never had a FS bike before so maybe that is part of the wow factor but the geometry of this thing is just great. I've been clearing terrain I wasn't able to before. Definitely made me a better rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    C frame, Large, Performance Elite, no axle, with seatpost clamp, no remote, no cables, no headset bearings etc - bare frameset...

2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-bxc.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Large CC black frame including rear axel and seat collar, no remote, straight out of the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Santa Cruz Blur....IS HERE!-481002af-98d0-4163-b634-a1c82dc88d58.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Glad to know that, thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana View Post
    Large CC black frame including rear axel and seat collar, no remote, straight out of the box.
    Interesting! With rear axle you say...

Wonder how much of this difference is C vs CC, our measuring devices or... paint.
    Regardless - red is ALWAYS faster in the end

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah interesting aye. Probably a bit of everything. SC came back with this before I bought my frame...

"Medium CC Frame with rear shock in Matte Carbon - approx 2060g
    Medium C Frame with rear shock in Matte Carbon - approx 2310g (+250g)

You are correct on the paint. Paint weight can be comparatively significant if you are counting grams...
    The Gloss Sunset/Red is typically 100g heavier than the Matte Carbon."

So my frame is 190g more than what they suggested, but then I guess their weight may not have included the rear axel or seat collar - and was for a medium frame? Regardless, I have built it up to be 22.35lbs including pedals and a dropper - light enough for me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    manamana, can you please tell us your spec choice for your build to get to 22.35lbs with pedals and a dropper and a large frame? That is quite light.

I was thinking of building it up with a SC100 fork, ENVE 525 wheels, 2.25 Racing Ralph tires, and full XX1, but am doubtful I could get south of 23lbs with a dropper and my XTR race pedals. Thanks!

mtbr member
    fox. turnaround is 3-4 business days. fill out an online RA form.
    What does fox charge to swap the lockout?
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    What does fox charge to swap the lockout?
    Thanks!

its the same as a rebuild which I think is $180. unless you can convince them to do it under warranty. I thought about buying a new shock with kashima and a small volume eyelet instead but this size is custom for santa cruz and not available aftermarket

mtbr member
    its the same as a rebuild which I think is $180. unless you can convince them to do it under warranty. I thought about buying a new shock with kashima and a small volume eyelet instead but this size is custom for santa cruz and not available aftermarket
    Ugh, yeah I was thinking about just buying a new shock vs having the lockout removed if I buy the frame; guess that is not an issue. I've demoed the bike a couple of times and the lockout is lost on me.
    How has the bike been locally (maybe this is a norcal forum question)?
    Thank you for the info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongerken View Post
    manamana, can you please tell us your spec choice for your build to get to 22.35lbs with pedals and a dropper and a large frame? That is quite light.

I was thinking of building it up with a SC100 fork, ENVE 525 wheels, 2.25 Racing Ralph tires, and full XX1, but am doubtful I could get south of 23lbs with a dropper and my XTR race pedals. Thanks!
    Yeah sure...
    Large CC frame incl lockout
    Fox 32 SCFactory incl lockout
    Full XX1 Eagle
    Wren Stem
    Enve Sweep bars
    XTR race brakes
    Light Bicycle rimes on DT240 hubs (sub 1300g)
    Nobby Nic 2.35 front, Racing Ralph 2.25 rear
    Lev Ci dropper
    EC90 saddle
    ODI lockon drips
    XTR pedals
    Next SL cranks with Stages powermeter

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks manamana, that helps.

Comparing that to the XX1 they have, your weight savings must be in your wheels or something, as not much else should save that much weight.

How to you like the XTR race brakes? I had the 988 XTR Trail brakes and now have Guide Ultimates. Both have been good, the guides take more fiddling to get them to not make noises but have awesome modularity. The 988 XTRs were bombproof and never needed anything, but were definity an on-off kind of thing with little lever pull.

I have been toying with doing the X01 alloy build (since the frame only and XX1 builds are both unavailable right now, but the X01 build is a week out), swapping the wheels for the ENVEs, swapping the crank for a quarq XX1, and swapping the level LTMs for M9000 (xtr race) brakes (with adapters).

Does the LEV Ci lever work okay with that stupid Fox lockout lever? Do you find you ever even use the lockout?

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Comparing that to the XX1 they have, your weight savings must be in your wheels or something,
    You can get carbon rims down to 280g or so. The reserve 25s are 390g. That's half a pound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You can get carbon rims down to 280g or so. The reserve 25s are 390g. That's half a pound.
    With 2.25-2.35 tires, I like to stick with a min of 24mm internal. I'm not sure if I know of any 25mm internal rims under 340g, but I might have just missed them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    With 2.25-2.35 tires, I like to stick with a min of 24mm internal. I'm not sure if I know of any 25mm internal rims under 340g, but I might have just missed them.
    Yeah I wasn't comparing like for like but SC doesn't make ultra light 20mm internal reserves.

I think you are making the right call but yeah minimum is 350 or so at that width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Comparing that to the XX1 they have, your weight savings must be in your wheels or something, as not much else should save that much weight.

How to you like the XTR race brakes? I had the 988 XTR Trail brakes and now have Guide Ultimates. Both have been good, the guides take more fiddling to get them to not make noises but have awesome modularity. The 988 XTRs were bombproof and never needed anything, but were definity an on-off kind of thing with little lever pull.

I have been toying with doing the X01 alloy build (since the frame only and XX1 builds are both unavailable right now, but the X01 build is a week out), swapping the wheels for the ENVEs, swapping the crank for a quarq XX1, and swapping the level LTMs for M9000 (xtr race) brakes (with adapters).

Does the LEV Ci lever work okay with that stupid Fox lockout lever? Do you find you ever even use the lockout?

Thank you for your help.
    Yeah I think I saved about 300ish g on the wheels? The Wren stem is about 70g and cheap too.

The remote for the Lev works well actually. Itís not the shifter style lever, cause that could cause issues, but the lightweight one that comes with the dropper fits in nicely with the lockout remote.

I havenít had too many rides on it yet but I have a feeling if it didnít come with the lockouts I would be just as happy.

Yeah, the ID of the LB rims isnít as big as some others, but I have a trail bike for when I need it so I thought Iíd go lightweight with this build. So far I havenít had any issues.

The XTR brakes seem fine. I havenít ridden Guides for a long time to compare.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I should have bought the frame only :/ Just ordered my Fox 34 Step cast today to finish things off..

I'm about to have almost 0 stock parts from my XL R spec

* Bike yoke Revive Dropper
    * X01 Eagle groupo
    * BTLOS Carbon "All Mountain" 25% T800 Layup 25 Inner Diameter wheelset @ <1400g
    * Fox 34 SC
    * Shimano XT Brakes 4 piston front 2 piston rear w/ 203 and 180 rotors (For Colorado Alpine descents)
    * Cane Creek 40 Headset
    * WTB Vigilante Tires

Build is more oriented for 2 trips to colorado this summer but I can pare it back down for the local trails by dropping the travel to 100, lighter tires and lighter front brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    was between the yeti sb100, blur or sniper for my yeti asrc replacement but decided on the blur and pulled the trigger on a black large frame yesterday. I have had so many santa cruz's in the past it just felt like the right decision and best fit for the eastern PA trails I ride 99% of the time. Going to send the shock to fox to remove remote as soon as it arrives. Have all new parts ready to go on. Here is what it will have.

large matte black frame
    fox 32sc factory
    enve 55mm stem
    enve rsr 760 lo rise bar
    formula r1 race brakes
    formula 160/160 2 piece rotors
    lev ci 150mm dropper with one up lever
    fabric scoop pro carbon saddle
    enve m525 wheels
    schwalbe nobby nic 2.25 front
    schwalbe rocket ron 2.25 rear
    sram xx1 dub cranks/bottom bracket
    sram xx1 11 speed der/shifter
    sram xg-1195 cassette
    crankbrothers eggbeater 11 pedals
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 kona unit rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anybody know whats going on with the shipping and availability. My bike has been delayed for the 4th time now been waiting nearly 2 months and keeps getting pushed back.

Based in the uk ordered blur red x01 build

The distributer in the uk will not tell the shop what is going on or so i have been told.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Anybody know whats going on with the shipping and availability. My bike has been delayed for the 4th time now been waiting nearly 2 months and keeps getting pushed back.

Based in the uk order blur red x01 build
    Hate hearing that, mine is the Matte Black, X01, was told first week June here in the US, hoping its still on schedule but haven't checked with the LBS in a couple weeks, guess I should make a call.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKNG View Post
    Hate hearing that, mine is the Matte Black, X01, was told first week June here in the US, hoping its still on schedule but haven't checked with the LBS in a couple weeks, guess I should make a call.
    Tempted to cancel I have the option of an S build. Santa Cruz uk wont provide any detail on whats going on which is poor! Almost makes me want to get the a sb100.

mtbr member
    Tempted to cancel I have the option of an S build. Santa Cruz uk wont provide any detail on whats going on which is poor! Almost makes me want to get the a sb100.
    Just wait. Bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I building a Blur ground up. Can anyone enlighten me on the stem size coming on factory builds? I looked on SC website and it doesn't say.

I am building a medium and was thinking a 60mm. I have a 60 on my Tallboy and my HT. The Tallboy is a tad long as they spec them at 50. I am used to it. The HT is spec with 55 and 60 feels good on it.

I was thinking of keeping all my rigs at 60. I know its rider preference but I just wanted to have a good starting point!

parts are all in EXCEPT for the fork:
    F34SC
    XX1 Eagle - complete with new XX1 DUB crank, all gold! BLING!
    Guide Ultimates
    Fox Transfer post, Kashima Coat
    Raceface Carbon bars
    Raceface Turbine Stem, (still figuring length, 60 is in)
    Industry Nine 32 spoke Pillarcarbon Trail straight pull spokes, all black spokes, gold hubs. (they look sexy)
    Ardent Race/Ardent tires.
    WTB Volt Ti seat
    XTR pedals

Thanks!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    my large came with a 75

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can probably call them up and ask

My XL came with a 75mm I think. I put on a 90 and dropped the bars a bit so they just barely clear the top tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just wait. Bike is awesome.

Thanks for the advise I waited and had an email today to say it has appeared in the uk! Cant wait!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    SC is usually good on the phone. I tried calling two days in a row and got sent to a voicemail. 60 is in. I may stick with it and go from there. I know this is more of a XC bike than trail but I tend to run a little more relaxed on fit (not low and out front)

Iím an still playing with fit on my other bikes. Do you think a 60 will feel cramped?

Thanks!

Illuminati
    hi all. does anyone know the 148 x 12mm axle type please?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hi all. does anyone know the 148 x 12mm axle type please?
    1.0 pitch 167mm length. Im using this one from universal

Item #: 84690-201392
    Description: DT Swiss RWS Aluminum Plug-In Lever Skewers - Rear 142mm x 12mm Thru, Plug-In (Flat Washer)

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman3371 View Post
    Iím an still playing with fit on my other bikes. Do you think a 60 will feel cramped?

Thanks!
    the only way to know for sure is to try it. personally I think yes since the steep seat angle reduces the effective top tube more than the reach number would suggest

mtbr member
    the only way to know for sure is to try it. personally I think yes since the steep seat angle reduces the effective top tube more than the reach number would suggest
    I am 5 10 and run a 50mm stem and 760 bars on a size large. Absolutely superb bike fit.

Illuminati
    1.0 pitch 167mm length. Im using this one from universal

Item #: 84690-201392
    Description: DT Swiss RWS Aluminum Plug-In Lever Skewers - Rear 142mm x 12mm Thru, Plug-In (Flat Washer)
    hi, thanks for replying, but thats 142 x 12mm. the blur uses boost 148 x 12mm. I'm looking for an aftermarket bolt on axle, but cant work out the pitch/axle dimensions in the minefield of various available sizes. thanks

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the axle is for 142. the hub size is not the same as the axle size. my post is correct. the part number is for the bolt on axle that Im using on my blur

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    the axle is for 142. the hub size is not the same as the axle size. my post is correct. the part number is for the bolt on axle that Im using on my blur
    Rox is correct, and the e-plug DT is the best design.

SC worked the shape of the dropouts to keep the same axle length between their non-boost (I.e Nomad3) and boot bikes.

Illuminati
    thats awesome, thanks guys, i didnt realize they'd kept the same rear axle!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thats awesome, thanks guys, i didnt realize they'd kept the same rear axle!
    i have these on all my bikes. this is the one for santacruz. great bang for buck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HardLite-Sc...53.m2749.l2649
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 kona unit rigid

mtbr member
    I just order an XL frame. I assume the frames come with seat clamp and rear axle right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I just order an XL frame. I assume the frames come with seat clamp and rear axle right?
    Right. At least mine came.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This bike is fast!

First ride on it-knocked over 2 minutes off My PR on a trail (5.4 miles) I have ridden over 100 times.

Nice KOM for the Blur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana View Post
    My XL CC black frame with seat collar is 2300g.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Interesting my Blur R has a Cane Creek 10 lower bearing, Full cane creek 40 top guts including bearing, that extra spacer and a Cane Creek 10 upper cap. No plastic parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    How is the stiffness of the frame on rougher trails?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast