2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CS handlebar specs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CS handlebar specs

Purpose:
    - I'm considering how to increase comfort and in comparison to my other bike / friend's bikes, it seems like adding some rise might help.

My Idea:
    - To know the specs of the 5010 CS build handlebars and determine my range of adjustment before making a purchase.

Based on the Santa Cruz website, I can only find the specs on their carbon bars
    Carbon 760 Bar | Santa Cruz Bicycles

Rather than assuming the specs are identical for the AL version on my 5010 CS, it might be best for my wallet to confirm here.

I've google searched for a while and have not found a definitive answer. Maybe its my lack of searching skills , but I've put in the effort anyway.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by speedr; 11-03-2016 at 01:42 PM.

SS Pusher Man
    I'm confused.....

What bars do you have?

What bars do you want?
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sorry If it's not clear. I have the stock raceface bars on the bike and I'm trying to decide what bars to get with the intent of increasing comfort(i.e. Bike fit)

Looking online I see a bit of variation in width/ rise and height and want to know the stock configuration to make my decision on how much rise to add, etc.

Long Live the Gorn!
    It appears the all 2017 5010 *are* spec'd with the SC 760 Bar.
    Thus it is 760mm 20MM rise / 9deg sweep.

More comfort is subjective it could be more rise like 35mm Rise Bar (more like a DH bar) OR more comfort could be wider like 800mm

Depends on what you want. I think that spec'd bar is a solid bar, I would start with that and go from there unless you are *sure* what you are looking for. If that 760 bar is already significantly different from what you are riding today, I would give it a chance first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I believe the 2016 5010 C S come with a Race Face Ride 35 bar 760 wide. 35 being clamp area. It should be 25mm rise from what I remember. I'm not home to check but you can try pulling the bar out of the stem? They generally mark the bar near the stem.....or it's under one of the grips.

Here's a link for specs

2016 Santa Cruz 5010 C S Bike - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by speedr View Post
    Sorry If it's not clear. I have the stock raceface bars on the bike and I'm trying to decide what bars to get with the intent of increasing comfort(i.e. Bike fit)

Looking online I see a bit of variation in width/ rise and height and want to know the stock configuration to make my decision on how much rise to add, etc.
    I would go with these, RACE FACE SIXC 35 20MM RISE HANDLEBAR. My Hightower came with the same 760mm bars you mentioned. I ended up going with the Sixc carbon bars and also swapping out the stock stem for a RF Atlas 35 stem. This setup transformed my bike in terms comfort and performance (and looks too ).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Do you have any spacers below/above your stem? Depending on how the bike was set up they sometimes leave enough that you can simply swap some spacers to raise/lower the bar height. There may be enough to get 5-10 mm of height change before you spend a bunch of $. My bike actually came with 60mm stem, but I think the C S comes with a 50mm stem. Take off the bolts from the stem that hold the bar on to check your stem size and bar size. This will give you a better idea of what direction to go in. It sounds like you want your hands higher, putting a shorter stem with less rise isn't gone help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've been busy with work and haven't been back to the bike for a while.

1) I'll check the stem when I get home. I've previously jankily measured my GT set up vs the 5010 and found the reach to be approximately the same. However, bar height is significantly different (cant remember the amount off the top of my head). So like BluePitch mentioned, potentially the stem should remain ok.

2) Spacers" There are a few spacers added from the factory. It doesn't look like more could be added.

3) Bars: Thanks Cyclejunkie, I'll look into your set up, those bars seem like a reasonable X-mas present my wife can get for me .

I feel weird preferring to ride my old GT hard tail over the 5010 due to comfort. Feels like I've wasted money lol. Need to figure this out asap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2) Spacers" There are a few spacers added from the factory. It doesn't look like more could be added.
    I didn't mean adding more. What you sometimes can do depending on how the stem is set up, you can shift the spacers from above to below the stem. Take a look at the stem here. Simply take some from above and put them below the stem. You may not have this many above your stem but depending on the size and quantity you can get good results this way.

Name:  vinos-4.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  13.3 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks bluepitch, ill also double check that tonight, but from the pics on my phone it looks like all 3 spacers are below the stem so I couldn't adjust any more. The follow up is appreciated as I'm a semi novice for biking in general, so it's realistic I'd miss something like that.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've been busy with work and haven't been back to the bike for a while.

I feel weird preferring to ride my old GT hard tail over the 5010 due to comfort. Feels like I've wasted money lol. Need to figure this out asap!
    Thats a bummer, any chance you have a local shop that you could go get and actual FIT. Sometimes having someone look at you / measure "From the Outside" can really help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yeah, I really enjoy using things that have superior engineering and hope to get that satisfaction out of the 5010.

Living in a super bicycle friendly area and there are many great shops locally(including where I bought the bike) so it'll be easy to find a good place to fit the bike. I guess my asap comment was a little to eager becuse winter is right around the corner anyway. The 5010 has been cleaned and in the basement for a couple weeks and I'll use this winter to talk with shops about bike fit and probably order some new bars if needed. For now it's a beautiful $4500 sculpture in my office lol.

mtbr member
    How's the angle of your bar? Many people are unaware of having their bars "rolled backwards" which is both uncomfortable and makes the effective height lesser. You could try to roll the bar forward a bit and see if it makes things better. The grip ends of the bar should point significantly upwards if you look from the front of the bike.
    You should also check your saddle position. The seat tube angle of the 5010 isn't very steep, so perhaps you should move the saddle forward.

My 5010 CS came with a 60 mm stem and 760 mm bar, which feels very good. If I'd go wider to ~785 mm, I'd also choose a ~50 mm stem to maintain the position of my torso, since spreading the arms makes you lean forward more.