2016 Fox DPS/EVOL Shock for 5010 and Blur TRc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2016 Fox DPS/EVOL Shock for 5010 and Blur TRc

Anyone try retrofitting their Solo/5010 or Blur TRc with the new 2016 Fox DPS/EVOL Shock?
    I am wondering what the specific shock tune would be for this (as ordered from Fox).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can't you just buy the air can or get a corset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes, but for the relative expense, I would prefer the new 2016 Fox shock, including the DPS damping upgrade. The trick is ordering the correct tune from Fox. I have contacted Santa Cruz ( to no avail, they report that they do not have a tune spec. and offered no help).

mtbr member
    I'm guessing you have a reason for not doing this (e.g. huge price discount), but I would recommend you buy a DBAir or an Inline. When I had a TRc I used a DBAir and loved it. I now have a 5010 and have been using an Inline. The 5010 is new so I haven't had a chance to try the DBAir on it, but it should be great just like it was on the TRc.

bike rider
    Fox says they only offer the aftermarket shock in a single tune. SC has no specific tune advice because they haven't tested that shock on the 5010 but they would use a "light tune". I'm in the same boat and there isn't a good solution. You would have to buy the shock Fox offers and if you don't like the feel get it tuned by Push.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's about the same price as an inline isn't it?

mtbr member
    Anyone know how much the air can upgrade goes for yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Fox says they only offer the aftermarket shock in a single tune. SC has no specific tune advice because they haven't tested that shock on the 5010 but they would use a "light tune". I'm in the same boat and there isn't a good solution. You would have to buy the shock Fox offers and if you don't like the feel get it tuned by Push.

I'm not so sure the Fox doesn't offer a specific shock tune for the 5010 (maybe not the TRC). I am sure SC is looking to spec the new shock for the 2016- 5010 soon. Case in point, I was able to order the new DPS/EVOL shock for my Ibis (w/ Ibis the providing the specific Fox tune/part no.) as a special order through my Fox dealer. You would think Fox would have all the data from the manufactures, they probably prefer not to step on toes by selling the shock only. Guess we will have to wait and see for the 5010. In the meantime the Corset is probably the best option for the TRC as this model is no longer supported by SC. Anyone tried the Corset on a TRC?

bike rider
    ^I asked Fox about buying an aftermarket 2016 Float that would be used on a 5010 and they said they only offer one tune. Seemed weird to me. I at least expected lo, med, hi damping tunes.

I'm told the larger volume negative springs (Debonair, Evol, Corset) help these bikes so if you have a TRc, buying a Corset for it would be a good move.

Illuminati
    santa cruz VPP frames normally use light tune for both compression & rebound. The DPS I purchased recently came stock with medium for both & I vastly prefer it compared to the CTD. It stays higher in the stroke, I'm still getting full travel & the range of adjustment is much wider.

mtbr member
    Just put a 2016 fox shock on the solo. I probably won't be much help as I've only ridden the bike with an evo. Ordered the shock from arts for a 14 solo and a 230 lb rider, have only ridden it in the parking lot over some curbs and down a broken up sidewalk. Shock is much smoother and linear feeling than evo. Setup for 30% sag boosted air pressure from 195 in evo to 250 psi in the new1. Will report back when I get it out in the rocks

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    I'm not so sure the Fox doesn't offer a specific shock tune for the 5010 (maybe not the TRC). I am sure SC is looking to spec the new shock for the 2016- 5010 soon. Case in point, I was able to order the new DPS/EVOL shock for my Ibis (w/ Ibis the providing the specific Fox tune/part no.) as a special order through my Fox dealer. You would think Fox would have all the data from the manufactures, they probably prefer not to step on toes by selling the shock only. Guess we will have to wait and see for the 5010. In the meantime the Corset is probably the best option for the TRC as this model is no longer supported by SC. Anyone tried the Corset on a TRC?
    Any update?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just put the 2016-EVOL shock on my Bronson. It feels very diff. from the Inline I had on the bike. The shock only comes in one tune setup according to Fox . Mine feels firm compared to both original Fox and Inline [yes you can change the Inline to suit.] The shock feels soft initially then 1/2 way into travel it firms up and the bike rides high in the mid-travel position. I have now set the sag at 33% to take advantage of this. To repeat the shock doesn't blow through its travel like before. My plan is to run the sag at 33% and use the trail setting for long smooth climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Do you have any volume spacers fitted?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not at this time, just the stock setting with a little more sag to compensate for the firmer feeling. I tried it today over rocks/roots with the softer sag and just right. The shock rode in the middle of its travel and never bottomed out.

mtbr member
    Got to do some rocks the other day. No high speed stuff just tight tech and like the new shock on this stuff much more compliant at the beginning and it doesn't blow thru the middle. Have the new 34 fork also and it matches well. Still playing with pressures. Don't think the. Shock will work for a super Clyde unless you like a lot of sag or shim accordingly

bike rider
    Okay, today I can break my silence. I've been riding a 2016 5010 with the Monarch Debonair that they are now specced with. It feels great and the spring rate curve seems good though I wish it sagged closer to 25% than the 30% it does. It weighs 300g which is 50-70g more than the Fox Float. I'm using a 2016 34 Talas 150 up front. If someone gave me a Float DPS eVOL I'd try it but I'm not gonna buy one to replace the Monarch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Okay, today I can break my silence. I've been riding a 2016 5010 with the Monarch Debonair that they are now specced with.
    What color is the 2016 frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    What color is the 2016 frame?
    The same as 2015.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    The same as 2015.
    Thanks. I was hoping the site wasn't updated yet.

bike rider
    I don't think they're changing the colors. Mine is the black/white/blue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping the site wasn't updated yet.
    I spoke with SC this morning, the site is correct as is. Whats missing, is not coming back and the new colors, specs and prices are correct too.