2015 Enduro Elite vs 2015 Bronson Carbon S- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

2015 Enduro Elite vs 2015 Bronson Carbon S

HI guys,

My Specialized dealer has given me a smoking deal on Specialized Enduro Elite (4200, thats 800 bucks off). The Elite comes with Pike fork, CCDB Inline shock, SRAM X01, Guide R brakes. It's basically the same components on the Expert model, except the Elite as an Aluminum frame instead of Carbon.

However I was originally looking for a Bronson and he is not a Santa Cruz dealer however he was able to source one and also make me a great offer, 4300 for the Carbon Bronson with the S build (Pike fork, Dropper post etc)

And now i am totally confused on which bike to go for. I know both would excell downhill, with the edge maybe going to the Enduro? But which of these would be the more "playful" and responsive bike? I've seen people on here complaining about the longer chainstays on the bronson, but does that really affect it?

And which of these bikes really comes with the better components?

Please help me make my decision!

Disclaimer: I have a similar thread in the other forum.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Without a doubt i'd be taking the Enduro over a Bronson (of any spec).

A more fair comparison would be an Enduro Vs Nomad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Without a doubt i'd be taking the Enduro over a Bronson (of any spec).

A more fair comparison would be an Enduro Vs Nomad.
    I suppose this is where I should mention my type of riding. I'll be doing mainly trails, some XC, and trying to get Downhill as often as I can but there are no Lift parks or anything like that where I live and no real DH stuff so im thinking 150MM travel is good enough, but coming from a Motocross background I plan to be getting as adventurous as I can get around here. But i'm curious as to why you would choose the Enduro, please elaborate. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a buddy who is on a carbon Enduro (same spec) and he says it climbs like his TBLTC and descends like a DH bike. Fast up and down. But not as playful as my Bronson. Do you want playful or speed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I have a buddy who is on a carbon Enduro (same spec) and he says it climbs like his TBLTC and descends like a DH bike. Fast up and down. But not as playful as my Bronson. Do you want playful or speed?
    Im not sure. Is there a noticeable difference? Im leaning towards more playful. My main concern is that the Enduro elite is alloy whereas there bronson is carbon. Is this that much of a deal breaker?

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Got for the one that your gut tells you to get. Otherwise you will always wonder...
    GRAPHIC DESIGN : PRINT : SOLUTIONS
    assembly1.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtek5 View Post
    Im not sure. Is there a noticeable difference? Im leaning towards more playful. My main concern is that the Enduro elite is alloy whereas there bronson is carbon. Is this that much of a deal breaker?
    Any consideration towards Alloy vs Carbon?

And can someone advise me on whether the Elite is coming with better components?

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I would personally go for the carbon bike, they're super stiff, fun to ride, and extremely durable now a days. The deal breaker for me on the Specialized is the PF30 bb, small detail but I'd rather just unthread my bb put another one with out going to my LBS or investing in a new set of tools.

Do you also like to try out new bikes every 2-3 years? Santa Cruz frames have a higher resale value than the big 3 (Spesh, Trek, Giant).

You really can't lose now these days on which bike, they are all really good! But the small details are what make my decision. I like working on my bikes and I like trying new frames every 2-4 years and so I'd go for the Santa Cruz.

It's a trade off really, somewhat better components (depending on who you ask) or a carbon frame? 1x11 or 2x10, Sram brakes stink. Plus its cheaper to upgrade your components as they wear out or break, not your frame. 1x11 are great but it looks like the Spesh has a 34T front? Big gear for climbing, take that into consideration where you live too. There are many small details in the components but since I like to try components out a lot, I would get the Bronson. But that's me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Go for the carbon bike. It's easy to upgrade components; not so much a frame.

Where do you live? I have a carbon Bronson and it's plenty of bike for most riding. I've rode Squamish and the PNW on my Bronson and it's just fine. I currently live in Alberta and the Bronson is a good bike for flat and rolling terrain as well. It's very efficient for a bigger bike.

Considering in one of your last posts, you were debating between a 5010 and a Bronson, I think the Enduro is getting too far into the AM side of the spectrum. Just get the Bronson. Based on your previous post history, it's the bike you want. You're not going to be happy with anything else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Go for the carbon bike. It's easy to upgrade components; not so much a frame.

Where do you live? I have a carbon Bronson and it's plenty of bike for most riding. I've rode Squamish and the PNW on my Bronson and it's just fine. I currently live in Alberta and the Bronson is a good bike for flat and rolling terrain as well. It's very efficient for a bigger bike.

Considering in one of your last posts, you were debating between a 5010 and a Bronson, I think the Enduro is getting too far into the AM side of the spectrum. Just get the Bronson. Based on your previous post history, it's the bike you want. You're not going to be happy with anything else.

Hi man, thanks for the input. Would any of you guys be able to help me compare the components on the Carbon S to the components on the Elite? I understand the suspension componenets but need some help comparing he SRAM drive trains etc.

The other thing I liked about going with Specialized was that this dealer is extremely helpful and is willing to give me discounts wherever possible etc and I'm thinking ill get better support on the Enduro since he is a Specialized dealer vs the bronson which he has to Source for me and I wouldn't then have a direct relationship with wherever he sources from.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    hi man, thanks for the input. Would any of you guys be able to help me compare the components on the carbon s to the components on the elite? I understand the suspension componenets but need some help comparing he sram drive trains etc.

The other thing i liked about going with specialized was that this dealer is extremely helpful and is willing to give me discounts wherever possible etc and i'm thinking ill get better support on the enduro since he is a specialized dealer vs the bronson which he has to source for me and i wouldn't then have a direct relationship with wherever he sources from.
    bump!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I prefer the steep seat tube on the Bronson. It's better on the climbs for my anatomy. The drivetrain on the Enduro is higher-end, but as someone else said, SRAM brakes suck (in my experience). Actually, I'll just second everything VO2 Lax said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Cactus Cuddler
    Ridiculous answer is that you'd arguably be happier with the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, Santa Cruz Solo/5010, Trek Remedy 27.5, RockyMountain Altitude MSL.

The SLX-XT w/ Pike build kit on the Carbon 5010 would absolutely scream downhill, and be a lot better pedaling everywhere else - as much as the travel seems like it would be a limitation it's a 5" travel bike (up against a 6.2").

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks Guys. I went with the Bronson S in Black and Magenta!

Now my next question is regarding pedals. Are you guys running mainly clipped in? Or regular pedals? Which are generally preferred? I have a voucher to use at the shop and would like to ship them with the bike one time. Let me know, thanks!

Cactus Cuddler
    I live on flats, unless you're already somewhat comfortable clipless the sort of stuff the Bronson can handle may not be the ideal place to get really familiar with unclipping in a hurry... but that's been my reasoning for just running flats on everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Guys. I went with the Bronson S in Black and Magenta!

Now my next question is regarding pedals. Are you guys running mainly clipped in? Or regular pedals? Which are generally preferred? I have a voucher to use at the shop and would like to ship them with the bike one time. Let me know, thanks!
    Sweet! Which spec did you end up going with?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Nice! Black and Magenta looks really good on that bike!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Flats versus clipless is one of those questions in the forums along the lines of wheel size. I ran clipless starting out for about two seasons and then after one too many crashes because I couldn't clip out, switched to flats and five tens. Never been happier. Other people prefer clipless. Since you are asking the question, I assume you are new to mountain biking??? If so, get a good pair of flats and five ten shoes and use them for awhile. Maybe some shin guards also, the spikes on flats can do a number on your shins. Once you have some time riding, then you can make the decision to move to clipless based on your experience riding your local trails.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Exactly RDB, I grew up on clipless from the mid 90s so that's all I know. I tried flats and it did actually make me a better rider in some areas-taught me to pump through sections vs pedaling through them but just prefer the feel of being clipped in. If you are newish I would start with flats.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    LOL....oh no, not the clipless/flats question!!!! My history and experience and ultimate recommendation is exactly the same as "azdog" above. I'd only add: wear shin guards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Sweet! Which spec did you end up going with?
    Ended up going with the S build! Guys at Competitive cyclist hooked me up!

Just looking for some advice on which pedals now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    Flats versus clipless is one of those questions in the forums along the lines of wheel size. I ran clipless starting out for about two seasons and then after one too many crashes because I couldn't clip out, switched to flats and five tens. Never been happier. Other people prefer clipless. Since you are asking the question, I assume you are new to mountain biking??? If so, get a good pair of flats and five ten shoes and use them for awhile. Maybe some shin guards also, the spikes on flats can do a number on your shins. Once you have some time riding, then you can make the decision to move to clipless based on your experience riding your local trails.
    HI man. Well I come from a motocross background, but new to "high end" mountain bikes. I actually do some road cycling because my dad has a Pinarello Dogma that he never uses (Lucky me!!) so i'm familiar with being clipped in, but it seems a lot of guys in mountain biking world are running regular pedals and shoes......speaking of shoes, what would be a good set to go with if I go with regular pedals like the Shimano Saints or the like?

mtbr member
    Just looking for some advice on which pedals now.
    It's completely up the rider which they prefer.

For me, I've been riding with SPD pedals since 1995 and could nor imagine riding off-road without them. I'll commute and ride to the grocery store with flat pedals, but that's it. However, a lot of downhill racers and BMXer use only plat pedals and they do just fine - better than me in most cases. Either pedal works.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Shoes: 5.10 Five Ten - Home

I split my time 70/30 clipless to flats. While on flats I wear fiveten impact vxi shoes. They have supper tacky soles and are relatively stiff. Only downside they don't dry all that quickly and my gad they get to stinkin' real bad. The wife has kicked them out of the house and even complains about their stink in the garage. That said, on the bike with flats they are great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For shoes I use 5.10 freerider pros and they're great. Really grippy. I like flat pedals. I also come from a motocross background and I'm more comfortable with my feet not clipped in. I still jump off my bike often enough during tricky climbs that I wouldn't want to be clipped in. As my skill level increases, I may change.

A couple of my buddies rave about clipless for climbing but I'm in good shape and have no problem out climbing them with flat pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks guys...i'lll be sure to post pics when the bike gets here and let you know how its going!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Does the bike come with a shock pump in box? Maybe I should be ordering one...

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They ship a grease gun, but not a shock pump. I would buy one locally and return it if by some chance there was a shock pump included. They aren't that expensive and it is a must have item for setting up a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I bought the exact same bike, from the same place. Just arrived a few days ago. No shock pump.