2010 Blur LT. Diagnosing creak - Is this gap in the lower linkage normal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

2010 Blur LT. Diagnosing creak - Is this gap in the lower linkage normal?

Trying to figure out where an annoying creak is coming from, and when I was looking at my lower link I noticed that one side has a much larger gap than the other. Is this normal? I never noticed it before, but its possible I just overlooked it in the past.

2010 Blur LT. Diagnosing  creak - Is this gap in the lower linkage normal?-jzpn6xn.jpg

mtbr member
    Have you ever tightened the pivots?
    Assuming you have the collet style pivots and bearings.
    Tech Tuesday: Adjust the Pivot Bearings on Any Santa Cruz VPP Suspension - Pinkbike

If you have the older bearing style, you can retorque as well. The process is simpler. With the old style bearings, once they start to wear, you can't tune out the slop and they'll need replacing.

Do you notice a slight side to side knock if you wiggle the rear wheel/rear triangle?
    That will be slop in the linkage, worn out bearings, or a loose hub. Loose hubs don't usually creak, but loose suspension linkage often will.

Creaking is usually slop in the linkage.
    It can also come from worn out shock hardware-DU bushings.
    If you notice a slight clunk when you lift your bike off the ground by the saddle, your DU bushings need replaced.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have tightened the pivots, hoping it was an easy fix but it didn't do anything. I followed the direction from that video. No knock when I wiggle it side to side, but I do notice a very tiny bit of play when I lift the saddle. Not so much a clunk, but there is definitely a tiny bit of movement somewhere.

mtbr member
    If you've been greasing your pivots and have retorqued them and notice no play, then check out the shock hardware.
    Have you ever replaced the shock mounting hardware and bushings?
    Worn out shock bushings will creak and some VPP bikes wear them out quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ill take a look at the shock hardware, didnt even think to look there before. It really FEELS like its coming from the bottom bracket area.. But I realize that doesnt mean anything and the creak really could be coming from anywhere. I only notice it when I put a TON of pressure when pedaling. It will creak and then when I sit on the bike and engage the suspension a bit it will creak until it gets some movement. I really only notice it when I'm cranking hard on steep inclines. But it's a pretty bad sound.

mtbr member
    Is the creak only when seated? I've had seatpost creaks that sounded liek they were coming form the BB. If the sound goes away when you stand and pedal, I'd suggest giving the seat tube and seat post a good cleaning and tightening.

Hope you find the cause soon, focusing on creaks rather than riding is no fun, been there....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's the shock bushings. Exact same symptoms on my blur ltc. Call fox and order the 3 piece stuff. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Or get a much longer lasting fix with RWC's needle bearings!: http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/g-...es-904449.html

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a blur LT 2009...same gap...just noticed it a few months ago.....none of the other posts seem to address this.....any idea yet????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLaing View Post
    I have a blur LT 2009...same gap...just noticed it a few months ago.....none of the other posts seem to address this.....any idea yet????
    From Santa Cruz FAQ on their website:

It looks like the lower link is off center in my frame- is everything ok?

Yes- this is correct. With our newer pivot system, the pivot axle draws the link over to one side in order to properly preload the bearings. This offset is accounted for in the frame design so everything ends up nice and straight in the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    From Santa Cruz FAQ on their website:

It looks like the lower link is off center in my frame- is everything ok?

Yes- this is correct. With our newer pivot system, the pivot axle draws the link over to one side in order to properly preload the bearings. This offset is accounted for in the frame design so everything ends up nice and straight in the end.

thanks so much....appriciate the reply!