Widest 29" Tire for Vaya?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Widest 29" Tire for Vaya?

I'm gearing up for a weekend Bikepacking trip with lots of sandy fire roads. What is the widest tire you have successfully run on a Vaya? I'm currently running 42 Mondials with fenders but will be pulling that setup off for this trip.

I've seen several threads suggesting 29x1.9 is doable but most of those threads are several years old and there are newer tire options these days. Also, bearing in mind that many tires may measure less than there suggested width, I'd love some recommendations. Will be running a set of Stans Arch Rims. I thought about a set of WTB Nano 40c but would prefer more float for sandy conditions.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Specialized Renegade 29 x 1.8" is a pretty rad tire

Ride Everything
    Most manu's 1.8-1.9 will clear the Vaya's frame/fork. If you want more volume, convert to 650B.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    Specialized Renegade 29 x 1.8" is a pretty rad tire
    Those look sweet. It looks like they have a 1.95 as well. Hmmm, wondering if it will fit...

Human Test Subject
    I had to take out the fender bolt between the chain stays and I could fit a 48mm tire. You can go bigger if you have the new Ti frame. I'd go with smaller. They'll be lighter and you have more choices in the 40ish mm size.

Personally I'd never use Nanos unless I also had TCS/UST rims.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Most manu's 1.8-1.9 will clear the Vaya's frame/fork. If you want more volume, convert to 650B.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations on something that will handle variable conditions, including loose sand, in the 1.8-1.9 size range?

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by igere View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations on something that will handle variable conditions, including loose sand, in the 1.8-1.9 size range?
    Personally, no. If I need something wider than a 40mm tire, I use a different bike.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I had to take out the fender bolt between the chain stays and I could fit a 48mm tire. You can go bigger if you have the new Ti frame. I'd go with smaller. They'll be lighter and you have more choices in the 40ish mm size.

Thanks for the info. If I did the Nano's it would be the race version but I think I'd prefer to go wider than 40c

rth009
    May 2010

Why is this? I was planning on putting some 40c TCS Nanos on Stan's Crest rims on my vaya.

mtbr member
    You might consider these:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=76951

I haven't tried them I my Vaya, but I'd like to. They seem like a good mixed terrain tire.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Why is this? I was planning on putting some 40c TCS Nanos on Stan's Crest rims on my vaya.
    It's about 100g heavier than Challenge Gravel Grinder and the reviews seem to be about the same. The advantage comes in the ease of tubelessness on TCS.

Gravel Grinders are a few bucks cheaper, too.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

rth009
    May 2010
    The advantage comes in the ease of tubelessness on TCS.
    Do you mean that it will be very difficult to even get the TCS tire on a Stan's crest rim? I looked into it elsewhere and it seems the TCS bead is a real tight fit on Stan's rims such that I might be able to get it on at home but field servicing will be very difficult. Perhaps I'll try the "Race" version with the aramid bead.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    TCS tires are not recommended on Stan's rims. I watched a coworker struggle for hours to get his on, then struggle to get it to bead, then it wouldn't hold air. He eventually replaced it after walking home a few times.

I have run the Race version of wtb tires tubless on Stans rims for years with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I rode the Oregon Outback last year on my Vaya and ended up using WTB Nine Line tires which are 29x2.0". They fit just fine, it was tight but not too tight. Not a lot of mud clearance and we ended up riding through plenty of mud but it was wet enough to not be an issue. Any thick clayed up mud would be a major problem though. I was using Stan Grail rims which are 20.3 internal width for reference. My bike is a size 57cm. Widest 29" Tire for Vaya?-dsc05735.jpg

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    dude... please post more pictures of your bike.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Gravel Hunter View Post
    I rode the Oregon Outback last year on my Vaya and ended up using WTB Nine Line tires which are 29x2.0". They fit just fine, it was tight but not too tight. Not a lot of mud clearance and we ended up riding through plenty of mud but it was wet enough to not be an issue. Any thick clayed up mud would be a major problem though. I was using Stan Grail rims which are 20.3 internal width for reference. My bike is a size 57cm. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05735.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	1053931
    Glad that the 2.0's worked out. I ended up running a 650b wheelset with 2.2's and I regretted it in the mud. Not enough clearance to get through that section on the back side of the Ochocos. A lot of scraping out mud around the tires and then I broke my derailleur hanger due the clay mud getting bound up in the chain.
    I ride at ludicrous speed