Where's the Woodsmoke love?- Mtbr.com
    650b me

Where's the Woodsmoke love?

I had the chance to demo a Woodsmoke set up with 27.5 x 3.0" wheels and I was very, very impressed. Where are the Woodsmoke lovers out there?!

I know the frame aesthetics don't appeal to everyone, but I dig it. Reminds me of origami, or one of those Escher-esque optical illusions. I love how Salsa chose to play up the elevated chainstay with the two-tone paint job, rather daring. But of course, the ride's the thing, and IMO Salsa nailed it with the geometry. Great all-rounder. I could see this being my one-and-only mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't get the value in the 27.5+ GX1. $3,000 and it weighs only 9 ounces less than the $1,400 Timberjack. Same brakes and shifters. Gets a Yari fork.

But maybe I am only looking skin deep.

650b me
    Well Sparty, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value than the Timberjack anywhere, that's for sure. Can't speak to the ride of the Timberjack, I've only ridden the Woodsmoke. This past weekend I demo'ed a Pivot Mach 5.5 on the same trails I rode the Woodsmoke on - a mix of easy/moderate/difficult trails. Would you believe that I'd take the Woodsmoke over the Pivot without hesitation? And this coming from a longtime Pivot (Mach 4) owner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yeah, am a novice for sure so I tend to look at things on the surface. Sram Level bottom tier brakes on a $3,000 hard tail? - I don't love these brakes on the TJ. And if its the carbon that people will pay for, the whole bike is only 9 ounces less? I've no doubt its fun to ride though. The Top level Woodsmoke looks like a better deal.

Maybe Salsa is not listing the exact brake and maybe its a T or TL or TLM.

mtbr member
    My demo of the 27.5+ Woodsmoke was underwhelming. Didn't feel like a $3000 hardtail for some reason.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only disappointed with the price/weight ratio of the Woodsmoke. While I enjoyed my demo ride of the 27.5+ version very much (those short stays are so fun on tight singletrack), I can't see paying $3k for a 30lb hardtail. What's the point of paying the premium for carbon when I can get an aluminum plus bike for about half the price at the same weight? Heck, the Santa Cruz Chameleon low-end build at $1700 is several pounds lighter. I love my Spearfish and my Fargo, and I'm sure I would enjoy a Woodsmoke, but not at that price point.

650b me
    Setting aside the value proposition between the Woodsmoke and the Timberjack, are there any Woodsmoke owners out there that would like to chime in? I mean, the Timberjack thread is up to 7 pages. There's no comparable thread for the Woodsmoke. Anyone out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So I've been a Timberjack owner for 2 weeks and now a Woodsmoke owner for a day. Without any demos available, I didn't want to spend a fortune jumping into a HT 27+ bike right away. I was able to locate a small Timberjack 27.5+ GX in Denver (not easy) and brought it home with a Pike (so i spent a small fortune anyway).
    I was sold on the plus wheels immediately and felt I could easily live without rear suspension in this format. But there was a certain harshness unrelated to the suspension and I was coming from a carbon Yeti.
    The shop had a small Woodsmoke NX 29 with an end-of-model-year discount. It was calling to me every time I went in there (and thanks to some (now corrected) BB issues with the Timberjack, it was often).
    So I rationalized that I could buy the Woodsmoke, do a parts swap to essentially make the Woodsmoke a 27.5+ GX (plus the Pike) and the Timberjack a NX 29 to sell. I've only gone on one, short ride since bringing it home yesterday, but the difference was apparent immediately. However, I can't say it's 100% a carbon vs. alloy thing, though I'm sure it's a factor. The reason I can't definitively say this is I had the shop adjust the alternator dropout to half way between short (default for 27.5+) and all the way out, primarily to help with steep, techy climbs. I think stretching the wheelbase (especially on a small) smoothes things out a bit as well.
    I didn't have any of the heel rub issues that some reviews have mentioned. I did notice that if I extend my drive side leg all the way straight, I tend to rub the inside of my knee against the seatstay, but not when I'm actually pedaling. Adjusting the saddle position might alleviate that.

Where's the Woodsmoke love?-img_0640.jpg

Oh, and if you are near Denver and want to buy a basically new Timberjack:
    https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...285178238.html

edit: This is a nice review (that's less bikepacking-centric) I found (which gave me the idea to adjust the alternator dropout: https://www.ambmag.com.au/feature/te...75-plus-461221

mtbr member
    I like the idea of the Woodsmoke, but like most of you here I don't see the price and weight matching up...

650b me
    Rufhausen, thanks for the first ride impression. Feel free to add a more thorough review here when you've had more time on your Woodsmoke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Rufhausen, thanks for the first ride impression. Feel free to add a more thorough review here when you've had more time on your Woodsmoke.
    Iíve now gone on a couple of good rides on the Woodsmoke - the 25 mile IMBA loop at Buffalo Creek (CO) and my house to Indian Creek Campground and back via Waterton Canyon (37mi). My experience with the bike is in comparison to the Yeti ASR I rode for 18 months and the Timberjack I road for 200 miles.
    The bike feels pretty amazing. With the Timberjack, I convinced myself I didnít miss the rear suspension (and wrote some posts here reflecting that). However, the ride was a little harsh at times. I havenít felt that way with the Woodsmoke once - still not sure if itís the carbon frame or lengthening the wheelbase via the alternator dropouts, or both. The bike climbs like a goat over waterbar switchbacks and the like. And the grip with the tires on Front Range sandy trails is ridiculous.
    Iíve added some protection around the BB area using part of a tube since it looks a bit exposed.

The bike (small) currently weighs 28.4lbs with pedals and a 9point8 Fall Line dropper.

Where's the Woodsmoke love?-fullsizeoutput_1518.jpgWhere's the Woodsmoke love?-img_0668.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufhausen View Post
    My experience with the bike is in comparison to the Yeti ASR I rode for 18 months and the Timberjack I road for 200 miles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1518.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1156018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	1156019
    Any thoughts about the wheelset the Woodsmoke comes with? Is it the same set of wheels as the Timberjack gets? (Aside from 29+ vs 27.5+, is it the same as far as alloy Whiskey rims and Salsa hubs)?
    Reason I ask is bc I can get a takeoff wheelset for pretty cheap and I need a new rear wheel on my Stache. It's been hard to find long-term opinions... are the wheels durable or do they cause problems to soon? Thx....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JScoot View Post
    Any thoughts about the wheelset the Woodsmoke comes with? Is it the same set of wheels as the Timberjack gets? (Aside from 29+ vs 27.5+, is it the same as far as alloy Whiskey rims and Salsa hubs)?
    Reason I ask is bc I can get a takeoff wheelset for pretty cheap and I need a new rear wheel on my Stache. It's been hard to find long-term opinions... are the wheels durable or do they cause problems to soon? Thx....
    The wheels I have are actually off the Timberjack I bought first, but I think they are the ones that come with the Woodsmoke GX. Between both bikes, I probably have 400 miles on the wheels so far and havenít had any issues. However, I canít find any info on them (weight, etc), which Iíd like to know for when I consider upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufhausen View Post
    I probably have 400 miles on the wheels so far and havenít had any issues. However, I canít find any info on them (weight, etc), which Iíd like to know for when I consider upgrading.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, good to know. I've heard they are heavy, but glad they've been holding up well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Just showing some love

I made an account just to show my Woodsmoke love

Where's the Woodsmoke love?-img_20180609_194931.jpg
    Where's the Woodsmoke love?-woodsmoke2.jpg

Custom built by me! Medium frame, 29+, fox 34 boost fork 120mm(please forgive the miles of spacers, still finding perfect fit), XT brakes, XT cassette (11-46), SLX cranks(170mm boost), 28t wolftooth chainring, XTR shifter, SLX derailuer, maxxis DHF/DHR, sunringle duroc 40mm internal rims.

Only one ride so far (two very young kids keep me busy), but it is a hoot. just so much fun.