What front rack on a Fargo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What front rack on a Fargo?

Anyone running a front rack on their Fargo? With the recent drop of Surly's new front racks, that got me thinking of putting one on my Fargo. I usually use dual Anything Cages, but I would really like to have a platform in the front for a little more versatility. I like the Surly racks, but I don't really care for their prices.

Anyone have experience with any other front racks on their Fargo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Anyone running a front rack on their Fargo? With the recent drop of Surly's new front racks, that got me thinking of putting one on my Fargo. I usually use dual Anything Cages, but I would really like to have a platform in the front for a little more versatility. I like the Surly racks, but I don't really care for their prices.

Anyone have experience with any other front racks on their Fargo?
    I probably don't have much info you don't already know, but I believe to a certain extent, what rack you would/could use would depend on what front fork you have.

For example, Salsa's DownUnder rack, I believe, is intended to be used with the Firestarter steel fork. The steel fork has a threaded mounting point on the inside of the fork for that particular rack, which the carbon fork does not, for example. And that rack doesn't have a platform; mainly intended for panniers.

I like OMM racks, which can even be used with a thru-axle fork. But that is not a cheap option by any means.

If I end up with a Fargo, I'll be installing my Minimalist rack. I think it will go well with the stock steel fork.

The new Surly 8/24 Pack Racks aren't priced horribly bad. Look at Nitto if you want to see over-priced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    If I end up with a Fargo, I'll be installing my Minimalist rack. I think it will go well with the stock steel fork.

The new Surly 8/24 Pack Racks aren't priced horribly bad. Look at Nitto if you want to see over-priced.
    Does Salsa still make the Minimalist rack? I've been looking for one of those for some time now.

You are right, the new racks are definitely not over priced compared to Nitto racks. But with those prices I'd just as well buy the Surly Front rack IMO.

I have been looking at the Racktime front rack at REI that usually runs for around $50, which might be perfect for my needs.

Minimalist has been discontinued for some time now. Luckily I bought one beforehand. Nitto makes a similar rack but again, $$.

Nitto's are nice made racks. And maybe I should clarify: perhaps "overpriced" isn't the right term. They make some high quality stuff. Premium quality dictates higher prices. I have owned a few of their racks and would have zero problems buying another.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    Awesome, I was looking at that specific rack. Any pics?

mtbr member

Surly Rack

What front rack on a Fargo?-img_5165.jpg
    Found a used Surly Front rack, had its quirks on installation, but alls good now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Altenative to Minimalist rack

I really wanted the minimalist rack, but not available any longer. After a long search I bought a Racktime Fold-it rear rack for $35 off Amazon. It is a very stought but light rack. All of the legs and brackets are removable with nuts and bolts. The rack has two sets of legs that attach at a bikes drop outs. It also has fully adjustable arms that normally attach near the seat post. One leg set is shorter than the other.
    I took off the leg set closest to what would be considered the front of the rack as they were not needed. I also made a bracket so I could attach it to the top of the fork at the crown, using the arms. I attached the other two legs to the inside brase-ons of the fork. In the end the rack sits backwards on the front of the bike. I should note that I have a 700c Vaya. But there was plenty of space around the tire. It is very solid with a high weight rating. It weighs a little less then a pound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What front rack on a Fargo?-vaya-rack-3.jpg  

What front rack on a Fargo?-vaya-rack-4.jpg  

What front rack on a Fargo?-vaya-rack-5.jpg  

Last edited by DrummerGal; 12-02-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add photos

Ride Everything
    While not cheap, the Pass and Stow racks are very nice. The rack below is the standard height model, but a tall should fit a Fargo.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Tires
    What about for the Carbon fork, that doesn't have the mid-blade mounts? Do carbon forks like extra weight like that? Should I forget about adding a rack to the carbon firestarter? Maybe just get a steel fork for those heavy flow days?
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

Did I catch a niner+?
    The carbon fork from what I can see does not have mid blade mounts and I would not force any rack on that fork, it also looks like it does not have lower mounts either for fenders just anything cage mounts it seems.

If it's worth it to you get a fargo v2 steel fork for the "heavy flow days", I actually have both the topit and the minimalist rack and I would say the minimalist rack is a better option if you can find one on ebay or CL or someone who never throws anything away (how I got mine). The topit is nice if you want to use the snap-it system, but the salsa rack is far more adjustable and able to get lower.

But if you're most interested in the topit which is a nice rack let me know I will probably sell it and just keep my minimal for my heavy flow days.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    UPDATE: I have received a number of inquiries about the bracket I used at the crown. I made the bracket from aluminum stock. It is possible to make it with a hacksaw, hand drill, thread cutting tap, and sand paper........But.......it may not be accurate. I used a chop saw with a metal blade, a drill press, as well a grinding wheel to get the curve shape to fit the crown.

The most difficult part is cutting the threads for the cap screws. If ya don't experience with this, please research it.

The screw holes are the same size as the typical metric attaching points on all frames and forks. Another detail that I do; I use nylon washers between racks and the frame/fork. The soft nylon helps to preserve the paint as well as eliminating squeeks or noises at the attaching points. And of course I put white grease in all screw holes on a frame and fork.
    Last edited by DrummerGal; 08-06-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add info