Warbird Sizing Decision??- Mtbr.com
    Thingamejigger

New question here. Warbird Sizing Decision??

Call out to the Warbird Owners!! What size have you got?

Have a chance of a great deal on a 2014 model 3 and I am trying to decide between the 56cm or 58cm frame. The 58 has a nice high stack height but very close standover for my 33 inch inseam.

I have read a few say that 58cm feels huge so my thoughts were 56cm with a bit of a riser stem if I find it too low.

I have never had a road or gravel bike before, other bikes are a cannondale flash 29er and a 9:zero:7 fat bike which are a little more upright and due to this bike's location I can't try before I buy.

TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Flying Scotsman I am exactly in the same boat so I called out to the Salsa distributor in Europe(I am in Holland) and discussed sizes extensively including taking measurements of all of my bikes to compare and came to the conclusion that I should go with the 58
    I am 188cm 36'' inseam and don't like to sit stretched out on a bike
    Mine will arrive end of the month and I will report back if it was the right choice. I bought the painted ti model with a huge discount.
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

old and slow
    What size MTB do you ride? 19"- tossup, 18"- 56, 20"- 58.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You can make a small bike bigger, but you can't make a big bike smaller.

Use the sizing suggestion in the geometry tab - it's always been pretty much right on for me. If you're right on the border, go smaller.

I ride a 56cm Warbird. I'm 6', with a 32" pants inseam.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    How tall are you?

The 58 warbird is a tall bike but not real long as actual reach is fairly short for a 58cm bike.
    I'm 6'1" and ride a 58 WB with a 110 stem (Thomson -10 degree rise) and no spacers. I could easily go to a 120 stem as my reach is less than I run on my road bikes and the bars are a fair bit higher than on my road.

Saying that the more upright position is comfortable for big days which this bike is made for, quite a few 100+ mile 7+ hour gravel rides on it and loved every minute of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Here is the follow up: I got my Bird in size 58 last thursday and I am glad I didn't go smaller, it is perfect for me! Only 60kms ridden but I know this is to be the exact bike that I missed in my stable.
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joop View Post
    Here is the follow up: I got my Bird in size 58 last thursday and I am glad I didn't go smaller, it is perfect for me! Only 60kms ridden but I know this is to be the exact bike that I missed in my stable.
    Congratulations on your new bird!

I picked one up too, on Monday last week. I was very surprised to find that a 58 fits perfect for me, I'm 6'4" with 35 inseam. I too do not like to be stretched out as it hurts my lower back.
    It's an awesome ride. I have about 150 miles on it already and it does everything I need.
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Took mine out for 25 the other day. What a nice ride! I enjoyed it a lot more than I recall liking my AC Macho Man.

I hate spring wind though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys,

I just picked up a 15 Warbird 3. Im 5'7" and went with the 53. I tend to like smaller bikes , but could not test ride the 511. The 53 seems to fit perfect for me aside from the reach. I like to have a little bit more of an upright stance when riding in city traffic. Question is ....Is there a huge downfall of me swapping out a smaller stem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GPcruiser View Post
    Hi guys,

I just picked up a 15 Warbird 3. Im 5'7" and went with the 53. I tend to like smaller bikes , but could not test ride the 511. The 53 seems to fit perfect for me aside from the reach. I like to have a little bit more of an upright stance when riding in city traffic. Question is ....Is there a huge downfall of me swapping out a smaller stem?
    Short answer - nope.