Warbird Carbon or Ti?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Warbird Carbon or Ti?

This decision is driving me crazy. Do I go with carbon or the Ti? I want the carbon due to the new improvements but the Ti's longevity seems better. I've never owned a carbon bike before but really love this new warbird. I guess I am worried about the "life expectancy" of the carbon over the Ti. I know the geo is a little different but damn! They both just rock! Interested in any feedback. I plan on using this for road and riding lots of maintenance roads here in Florida and will be doing some overnight bike packing. Thanks

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh? In my experience carbon is better for heavier riders. Titanium has some real flex to it which is why it's so comfortable but for larger riders it doesn't seem stiff. I don't know if that's an illusion or reality but I have friend who rides a ti bike and tells me that he has to get down to his Summer weight of 210 before riding it.

Carbon they can make feel both stiff and compliant if it's done right. That doesn't mean that some manufacturers don't go to the extreme and make bricks but I doubt the carbon Warbird would be in the that category.

All this is moot if you aren't big. I wouldn't worry about the life expectancy of either. Both can break like any frame or be around 20 years from now if treated properly. The biggest issues to me would be the weight of the rider and the price difference between the materials.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    How much do you weigh? In my experience carbon is better for heavier riders. Titanium has some real flex to it which is why it's so comfortable but for larger riders it doesn't seem stiff. I don't know if that's an illusion or reality but I have friend who rides a ti bike and tells me that he has to get down to his Summer weight of 210 before riding it.

Carbon they can make feel both stiff and compliant if it's done right. That doesn't mean that some manufacturers don't go to the extreme and make bricks but I doubt the carbon Warbird would be in the that category.

All this is moot if you aren't big. I wouldn't worry about the life expectancy of either. Both can break like any frame or be around 20 years from now if treated properly. The biggest issues to me would be the weight of the rider and the price difference between the materials.
    Thanks for the response and it was a good one. I am a bigger rider at 230 but am dropping weight but not on a fast track to racing! I am getting the bike as I am only able to ride my horsetheif on the weekend as it takes like 45 minutes to get to dirt so I figured if I got the warbird I could get some more miles in. And thought I could hit some maintenance and jeep style roads of some of the paved stuff. Doc says I need to drop 30 lbs and that I am plateauing and I need more consistent exercise. So If I get the bike I can do 20-25 maybe more depending on what I have going on for work in the am and hit the gym in the afternoons. Thanks for the advise!

Too busy looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    This decision is driving me crazy. Do I go with carbon or the Ti? I want the carbon due to the new improvements but the Ti's longevity seems better. I've never owned a carbon bike before but really love this new warbird. I guess I am worried about the "life expectancy" of the carbon over the Ti. I know the geo is a little different but damn! They both just rock! Interested in any feedback. I plan on using this for road and riding lots of maintenance roads here in Florida and will be doing some overnight bike packing. Thanks
    I'm late to respond, but hopefully in time to perhaps be helpful. I got a 2015 Ti Warbird before the new carbon models were announced. I have no regrets, like yourself I have a soft spot for Ti, and I'm not particularly tempted by the carbon models.

But there's one factor I recommend you consider, and that's rear tire clearance. The Ti model is a bit limited with claimed max width of 38 cc. I like to run 40 cc Clement MSOs but they just fit, with little room to spare. The new carbon models have more room (44 cc claimed). Not sure what your tire volume preferences would be, or typical riding conditions (Florida can be muddy, right?), but keep this in mind when you make your decision.

I'm in Colorado and mud is rare. I had one occasion where I expected mud in advance on a long ride, so I threw on some 35 cc Clement USH tires (the ones that came with my Warbird). This was a very wise choice for that ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser View Post
    I'm late to respond, but hopefully in time to perhaps be helpful. I got a 2015 Ti Warbird before the new carbon models were announced. I have no regrets, like yourself I have a soft spot for Ti, and I'm not particularly tempted by the carbon models.

But there's one factor I recommend you consider, and that's rear tire clearance. The Ti model is a bit limited with claimed max width of 38 cc. I like to run 40 cc Clement MSOs but they just fit, with little room to spare. The new carbon models have more room (44 cc claimed). Not sure what your tire volume preferences would be, or typical riding conditions (Florida can be muddy, right?), but keep this in mind when you make your decision.

I'm in Colorado and mud is rare. I had one occasion where I expected mud in advance on a long ride, so I threw on some 35 cc Clement USH tires (the ones that came with my Warbird). This was a very wise choice for that ride.
    I also got the Ti Warbird my friend! Thanks for the response. It is an awesome machine and im glad I got it. orderingg a Ti seat post for it next