Vaya vs Fargo: 2018 Editions - Poll Inside- Mtbr.com

Poll: Would you buy a Vaya or Fargo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

New question here. Vaya vs Fargo: 2018 Editions - Poll Inside

I am currently looking to buy a rigid utility / commuter / bikepacking bike and am having a hard time deciding between these 2. This would essentially be my 'road' bike plus more, while I'd have a separate full suspension bike for rough singletrack. I have a 2018 Fargo on pre-order discounted for a cool $1440, and can't decide if I should cancel it for the Vaya.

As we look at 2018 editions, it seems as though the Fargo is more dirt touring and the Vaya is very desirable for the skinnier tires and lower weight, yet it does so by having a carbon fork rather than a steel one like the Fargo. Plus there isn't an option to run anything bigger than 50mm if needed on the Vaya.

So which would be better for the "80% pavement, 20% mixture of rough gravel grinder / dirt / random rough" bike?

Here are some 2018 spec comparisons of note for the GX editions at the same price point of $1800 MSRP:

Frame:
    Both CroMoly

Fork:
    Vaya: Carbon
    Fargo: Steel

Drivetrain Gear Range:
    Vaya:
    - 48/32T Crankset
    - 11/36T Cassette
    Fargo:
    - 38/24T Crankset
    - 11/36T Cassette

Head Tube Angle:
    Vaya: 71.5
    Fargo: 69

Tires:
    Both similar WTB rims / tires / tubeless ready

Saddle:
    Vaya: WTB Volt Comp
    Fargo: WTB Volt Sport

Handlebars:
    Vaya: Cowbell 2
    Fargo: Woodchipper 3

Weight:
    Vaya: 24lbs, 7oz
    Fargo: 28lbs, 10oz

The trade offs are difficult to decide upon:
    - Fargo has better low gears, while Vaya has better top end speed.
    - Fargo has more durable fork, while Vaya has a lighter weight carbon one.

Which would you choose, and why?

rth009
    May 2010
    For "80% pavement, 20% mixture of rough gravel grinder / dirt / random rough" there is no question: Vaya. I ride my vaya on singletrack all the time and some of that is pretty rough. Would I ride the rough stuff faster if I was on a fargo with bigger tires, yes, but if 80% of the riding was on pavement, I would just slow down on that and enjoy the fact that my vaya performs better on pavement. The great thing about the vaya is that you can head out on a ride not knowing where you are going to go and choose your own adventure. the 48/32 and 11/36 gearing on the new vayas will be rad.

mtbr member
    Longtime Vaya owner here and my honest answer would be that the Vaya is still too heavy for what it is. However, since you're planning on being on the road most of the time, the choice is clear -- Vaya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Slonie View Post
    Longtime Vaya owner here and my honest answer would be that the Vaya is still too heavy for what it is. However, since you're planning on being on the road most of the time, the choice is clear -- Vaya.
    Yes I noticed that as I compare other bikes in the same class as the Vaya, something like a Niner RLT9 Steel is superior. Although more pricey.

mtbr member
    I might also add that I saw your other post inquiring about the Cutthroat. I've been considering it myself -- As capable as the Fargo* but lighter than a Vaya. The proverbial quiver-killer? The only downside is the cost. And the fact that the local dealer don't seem to really know or care that this model exists so that there's one around to demo ("but we can order it for you!")

*citation needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Slonie View Post
    I might also add that I saw your other post inquiring about the Cutthroat. I've been considering it myself -- As capable as the Fargo* but lighter than a Vaya. The proverbial quiver-killer? The only downside is the cost. And the fact that the local dealer don't seem to really know or care that this model exists so that there's one around to demo ("but we can order it for you!")

*citation needed.
    I've been researching like crazy for the past few months and removed the Cutthroat from my possibilities.

Depends on use case scenario. For me, I considered it as a commuter / main bike to zip around on. Sounded great at first.

I then learned about frame material differences. Carbon is very racey, with a stiff feeling compared to steel. And is not as indestructible when considering it being tossed around and dinged up over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk