Vaya Tire Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Vaya Tire Suggestions

I'm planning the build of my orange Vaya (since it's 10deg. here today, it's the only cycling activity available to the sane), and I'm looking for some suggestions and/or validation regarding tire selection.

My LBS carries Continental and Schwalbe (and others that don't matter for purposes of this thread). I'm considering the Conti Top Contact 42 or Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 40, both of which are ETRTO 42-622. I'm also considering the Specialized Hemisphere or Crossroads, both of which are available in 42. I'd like to go fatter, but I'm not sure the frame will accept a 47 (which the Conti is available in) or 50 (the smallest 700c size for the Schwalbe Big Apple and the next step up from 42 for the Spec. Hemisphere)
    http://www.conti-online.com/generato...opcont_en.html
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...rathon_extreme
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...1008&scid=1015

This bike will see about 60/40 pavement/gravel & dirt road. Is one of these tires a run-away best option? Are there other options I should be considering that are better?

As always, I appreciate everyone's input.

mtbr member
    It wont accept bigger than a 42.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann C

Others said it does... Maybe it depends on the frame size???

Coque.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My frame will be a 57. Salsa's website says it will take a 42 tire with fenders, so I assume it will accept a somewhat larger tire without fenders. The jump to 47 is probably too much, though. As much as I would like to get everything decided before the frame arrives, I might just have to wait and try a larger tire out. I think the rear will be more of an issue than the front - the pics I've seen look like the fork is pretty roomy.

rth009
    May 2010

Smallest tire size for the vaya complete rims

Im also getting a new vaya, but I have the opposite question. What is the smallest tire I will be able to fit on the DT Swiss X470rims?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    According to this: http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/e90f3c...Datasheet.aspx
    it is 1.5" or about 37mm. Seems kind of wide for a minimum, especially considering that their TK 540 rim is only .3mm narrower (23.6 vs. 23.9) and the minimum tire width is 1" or 25mm. I'm guessing that the intended use as a MTB rim is being factored in to the minimum tire width recommendation on the X 470, and you could probably safely go down to a 28 or 32 for road use. The inner bead width is probably about 18-19mm - Sheldon Brown's rim/tire width chart suggests a range of 28 to 44 on a 19mm inner rim width. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

rth009
    May 2010
    thanks saws. Anybody else have any experience running skinny tires on DT Swiss X470rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a La Cruz and REALLY like the Marathon XR from Schwalbe in a 40c, would definitely suggest you consider it.... I have used Extremes and found them slow and noisy (but very grippy in loose stuff).

?hipster?
    I'm using the stock DT x470 with Conti Tour Rides 42c w/fenders, no problem. There is almost a centimeter clearance on each side to the cs.

I've also used Conti Contac 32c @75 psi w/o a problem. There is a sticker on the x470 that reads 4 bar max, but as SAWS mentions I believe this refers to mtb use. There is an asterisk on the data sheet which refers to the tire max psi rating, which will be much higher than 4 bar.I would like to use a 28c for high speed road riding but that sticker gives me something to think about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Tire Suggestions-p1010733.jpg  

Vaya Tire Suggestions-p1010735.jpg  

rth009
    May 2010
    [QUOTE=MoementumI've also used Conti Contac 32c @75 psi w/o a problem. There is a sticker on the x470 that reads 4 bar max, but as SAWS mentions I believe this refers to mtb use. There is an asterisk on the data sheet which refers to the tire max psi rating, which will be much higher than 4 bar.I would like to use a 28c for high speed road riding but that sticker gives me something to think about.[/QUOTE]

No problem down to a 700c x 32, eh? Thats great news as 32 plenty small for my uses. What do you mean by 4 bar max. Im not familiar with that terminology.

mtbr member
    We've got a Vaya with Bontrager XDX 1.9 tires sitting on our floor. Looks KILLER.
    I'll try and remember to get some pics, super cool. thinking about doing my Vaya this way too.

?hipster?
    1 bar =14.7 psi. 4 bar = 58.8 psi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My Vaya is supposed to ship tomorrow, according to my LBS. Should see the frameset in about a week. The tire question should be pretty easy to answer at that point.

mtbr member
    I hope to God mine ships soon.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

Enjoyin' life....
    My frame is on the way. My Vaya will run with Marathon Supreme 700x40's which were used on my older version Fargo for a while. Admittedly road and path biased but I won't be singletracking with it anyway, the Vaya is for touring. The Marathon's work okay on gravel and have good puncture protection but if I was gravel grinding, I'd use something different. Probably the cross version.
    Wally

mtbr member
    I ordered a complete. I haven't talked to my LBS in about a week. Should probably do that today!

Enjoyin' life....
    Yeah, they are in stock at a few shops and frames are shipping.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    I'll try and remember to get some pics, .

mtbr member
    Will have mine next Wednesday. Can't wait.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann C
    That is with fender - it was designed with the FireCross 45c as a benchmark when not using fenders. Sometimes 1.8 29er tires fit, depending on brand.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    That is with fender - it was designed with the FireCross 45c as a benchmark when not using fenders. Sometimes 1.8 29er tires fit, depending on brand.
    Oh ok I was just relaying information that was listed on the website.

Members who have read this thread: 1