Vaya Tire Reccomendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Vaya Tire Reccomendation

Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on some new tires for my Vaya. Currently I'm running 700x35 Panaracer T Servs, which I like for the most part. But I've found the ride on them to be a little harsh due to high psi (90).

I think I'd like to try a wider tire in the 40 to 45 range that would perform as good on pavement/bike paths/hard dirt trails, but be more grippy on gravel, mud, and looser surfaces. Ideally I'd like a tire that would work well commuting or running errands, but that I could also confidently hop onto a gravel road or path on.

I was looking at the Kenda Happy Mediums, Continental Tour Rides, Schwalbe Marathon Cross, Marathn RLX, and Smart Sams, or Marathon Supremes.

Any suggestions?

Ballstein Models
    I've been riding the Happy Mediums in 40 on my new Vaya. Love em. I have the bike setup up primarily for gravel but have to traverse at least 10 miles of pavement each ride. THey really handle both quite well.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Take a look a look around for some Small Block 8's too. They ride bigger than they are rated.

mtbr member
    The Tour Rides came stock on my Vaya. I found them impervious to flats but slow rolling. My go to tire for gravel grinding is the Ritchey Speedmax 700x35 or 700x40. I think they are fairly quick on the paved trail and great once you hit the gravel. Worth a look.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For your purposes, I was very happy with Schwalbe Marathon Mondials (as long as you're not looking for super-zippy fast). A comparison of stark contrast: Continental Cyclocross Speed and Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Tire Reviews | ridingagainstthegrain

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I run Panaracer T-Serv 700x32s on my La Cruz at 70psi. No problems so far. (I weigh 185lbs). Gives a bit more cushion to the ride. I figure since I run my mountain bike tires at pressures way below the recommended minimum without an issue, there's no reason not to do the same thing with road tires.

Birthday Collector
    Dragonsnack, unless you are a really large or heavy rider (or unless you really like to plow into things without unweighting) 90 psi is really high for that tire. If you are around 200 lbs geared up, 70 would be about as high as I would run, unless you are on a glassy-smooth surface. I'd say about 60 minimum and 85 max, if you were 200 lbs. If you "ride light" you can probably run that tire down to the mid-30's on a smoother trail. A 180-lb friend of mine races 'cross on 32's and runs in the 30 - 34 psi range (tubeless), and I don't recall him flatting this last season... At that 90 psi, you are probably spending a lot of energy just lifting the bike over little bumps as you are propelling yourself forward. Softer tires will take less energy to flex the casing compared to lifting the rider/bike over small bumps. Thor29 has it down pretty low it sounds like too!

As long as the tire doesn't feel "squirmy" in turns and you aren't getting a lot of rim bottoms/pinches, you can go lower until it feels that way, then add a few psi. See how your tires feel at a lower pressure - and maybe you'll keep them. If not, I'd recommend Conti or Schwalbe lines - they both make some great tires, tread depending on where you ride...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Lawfarm I had read that exact same article! :-)

Thor29 & ATBScott,

Thanks. I had the same thought. Last Wednesday I dropped both tires down to 80 PSI and went for a short five mile ride. I don't know if it was bad luck but my rear tire flatted. Had a little thorn get between the tread and hit the tub. I'll try running them at 70 and see how that feels.

Members who have read this thread: 0