Vaya - Marrakesh- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Vaya - Marrakesh

This is not a versus thread)
    i really can't decide between vaya 2017 and Marrakesh drop 2017.
    i will use most for road/gravel touring. It seem vaya have a more "relaxed" geometry, lighter and don't know. Marrakesh has brooks, heavier and don't know. What are your impressions? Advices? Pros? Cons?
    thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I own a 2016 drop Marrakesh and I've done road and gravel touring on it.
    First of all the bike is a tank! Mine is around 35lbs unloaded. The weight isn't bad until you start going uphill of course. I installed a 24t chaining on it and it helps a little on the steep stuff.
    It rides like a Cadillac on the road, super comfortable. It took about 600 miles to get some break-in on the Brooks saddle. The frame combined with the 700x38 tires absorb a lot of road vibration and small bumps.
    Gravel riding the Marrakesh for me isn't very pleasurable. On fine gravel or smooth dirt roads it's not bad. Larger sized loose gravel and rough dirt roads are going to beat you up after a while, especially if you keep the Brooks on it.
    I can't speak for the Vaya but I have a 2017 Salsa Cutthroat and if you really want an awesome bike that can do it all, and if it's in your budget, get one.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thank you scotttminot,
    very clear explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by scottminot View Post
    I own a 2016 drop Marrakesh and I've done road and gravel touring on it.
    First of all the bike is a tank! Mine is around 35lbs unloaded. The weight isn't bad until you start going uphill of course. I installed a 24t chaining on it and it helps a little on the steep stuff.
    It rides like a Cadillac on the road, super comfortable. It took about 600 miles to get some break-in on the Brooks saddle. The frame combined with the 700x38 tires absorb a lot of road vibration and small bumps.
    Gravel riding the Marrakesh for me isn't very pleasurable. On fine gravel or smooth dirt roads it's not bad. Larger sized loose gravel and rough dirt roads are going to beat you up after a while, especially if you keep the Brooks on it.
    I can't speak for the Vaya but I have a 2017 Salsa Cutthroat and if you really want an awesome bike that can do it all, and if it's in your budget, get one.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've done a few thousand miles of touring on a Vaya. I've owned a regular Vaya as well as my current Vaya Travel.

The Vaya is sort of an in-between - burlier and more stable than a gravel racer like a Warbird, but not as burly as a Marrakesh.

It's good for a light to mid touring load, as in throw some small panniers on the fork and standard size on the back and go. You can do a cold weather tour if you pack light, but it's really best for 3-seasons touring in relatively civilized areas. It's not as good with a full load - those bikes you see with huge panniers front and back and another duffel bag on top of the rear rack, well, that's Marrakesh territory. That type bike can take you across a continent.

I haven't ridden the Marrakesh, but if it's anything like the Surly Long Haul Trucker (which it seems to be), it will be optimized for carrying a load. The handling and stiff tubing of a Trucker almost need 40-50 pounds of gear on it to make it feel right.

The Vaya, however, is just a really smooth, stable, comfy bike. I like to tour with it because when I take off the bags and explore a city for a while, it's really fun. It's great on gravel - I've taken it on a bunch of single track and dirt roads, and even done a cyclocross race. It's the single most comfy bike I've ever ridden. If I had to narrow down to one bike it would be that one.

I'd say if you want a 'do it all' that spends a lot of time on the road and dirt/gravel roads, the Vaya is a great choice. If you are a hard-core self-supported tourer, get the Marrakesh.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi Schnee,
    ty you alot for the answer,
    your info have been very very useful to clear my doubts and thoughts!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    I've done a few thousand miles of touring on a Vaya. I've owned a regular Vaya as well as my current Vaya Travel.

The Vaya is sort of an in-between - burlier and more stable than a gravel racer like a Warbird, but not as burly as a Marrakesh.

It's good for a light to mid touring load, as in throw some small panniers on the fork and standard size on the back and go. You can do a cold weather tour if you pack light, but it's really best for 3-seasons touring in relatively civilized areas. It's not as good with a full load - those bikes you see with huge panniers front and back and another duffel bag on top of the rear rack, well, that's Marrakesh territory. That type bike can take you across a continent.

I haven't ridden the Marrakesh, but if it's anything like the Surly Long Haul Trucker (which it seems to be), it will be optimized for carrying a load. The handling and stiff tubing of a Trucker almost need 40-50 pounds of gear on it to make it feel right.

The Vaya, however, is just a really smooth, stable, comfy bike. I like to tour with it because when I take off the bags and explore a city for a while, it's really fun. It's great on gravel - I've taken it on a bunch of single track and dirt roads, and even done a cyclocross race. It's the single most comfy bike I've ever ridden. If I had to narrow down to one bike it would be that one.

I'd say if you want a 'do it all' that spends a lot of time on the road and dirt/gravel roads, the Vaya is a great choice. If you are a hard-core self-supported tourer, get the Marrakesh.