Vaya or Journeyman- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Vaya or Journeyman

I can buy a NOS 2017 Vaya Claris or a used Journeyman Sora for the same price. I want a bike for rails to trails and gravel. No pavement riding. I have a FS mountain bike for trails. Any advice would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    man, tough call. seems like salsa makes a few bikes that do the same exact thing, and these may be an example. i love both those bikes. I think it comes down to preference. I'd probably go vaya because i love the look of steel.

I also prefer a 1X drive train, and it seems like the vaya 2019 no longer comes in a 1X. However, the journeyman does, the apex 1 model. in pink =-)

If you want 650b wheels, journeyman. but if you want 700c wheels, both will suite your needs.

both have carbon fork.

I think in the end, the vaya may be more able to handle heavy touring loads then the journeyman. Salsa says so in the comments below the bike.

good luck and have fun

rth009
    May 2010
    That is a tough call, I dont know much about the builds, but a steel vaya is a forever bike. And its new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ok now it is down to a NOS 2017 Vaya Claris 55 or a used 2015 Vaya 2 56. Same price. Canít ride either. 60 years old, first drop bar, and fit perfect on an 18.5 Trek Fuel EX. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeksox View Post
    man, tough call. seems like salsa makes a few bikes that do the same exact thing, and these may be an example. i love both those bikes. I think it comes down to preference. I'd probably go vaya because i love the look of steel.

I also prefer a 1X drive train, and it seems like the vaya 2019 no longer comes in a 1X. However, the journeyman does, the apex 1 model. in pink =-)

If you want 650b wheels, journeyman. but if you want 700c wheels, both will suite your needs.

both have carbon fork.

I think in the end, the vaya may be more able to handle heavy touring loads then the journeyman. Salsa says so in the comments below the bike.

good luck and have fun

The Journeyman has carbon fork but the Vaya does not. It the low end Vaya

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by anthdan View Post
    The Journeyman . The one i own. has carbon fork but the Vaya does not. It the low end Vaya

You speak the truth. The years in question in this thread, the vaya does have a chromoly Fork. But the 2019 journeyman apex and vaya both have a waxwing carbon Fork. I STAND CORRECTED

Go chromoly Fork!!!!!
    Last edited by squeeksox; 03-09-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Incorrect

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode both when shopping for my son, and I've ridden a few generations of Vaya. Both are nice bikes. We have a bias for steel and the carbon fork is nice. There are other nice bikes like these and Fargos show up used more than others. Kona, Surly, Breezer & more make them if steel is important. The Mongoose are really nice if you're limited by budget and considering AL frames.

To me you should always ride the bike and get the one that just feels right. It's truly a hard to go wrong decision to get a Vaya but delaying the gratification and trying stuff will help make sure you get a bike you love. A bike you love is really important.

FWIW, we found a hardly used Fargo while shopping for Vayas. Everyone in the family liked it most and being used it was for sure the best value too.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There were a couple different Vaya builds in 2015. I donít believe any had a carbon fork. The green Salsa 3 had a 3x9 Sora and the blue Salsa 2 had 105 2x10. Quite the difference.

I bought my vaya as a frame set in 2011. It is still my favorite bike. Mine is currently 105 2x10.

I own a 56 Vaya and test rode the 55 Journeyman and they both fit very well. Iím 5í11Ē

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Another opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by anthdan View Post
    Ok now it is down to a NOS 2017 Vaya Claris 55 or a used 2015 Vaya 2 56. Same price. Canít ride either. 60 years old, first drop bar, and fit perfect on an 18.5 Trek Fuel EX. Suggestions?
    I was not going to reply since I only have experience w my Journeyman. But when I saw first experience w drop bars & 60 yrs old....my comments: drop bars take some getting used to & the Journeyman takes the 650B tires which give lots of extra cushion versus the 700c. I am 62 yrs old & love my Journeyman, but I did tweak/change my stem,bars & tape for comfort & love the 650B wheels. Ymmv