Vaya for Gran Fondo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Vaya for Gran Fondo

Looking for advice. I have a 2011 Vaya. I'm running flat bars(Bend 3 bars from my Mukluk). It is basically my fitness/light touring /everything bike. I'm thinking of putting drops back on and training for a Gran Fondo next summer.
    Talk me into it or convince me to get something lighter and faster. I know it would be plenty comfortable, but would it's lack of full on roadbikeness mess me up. All stories are welcome.

Thanks,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've ridden my 2013 Vaya with the stock Clement MSO's on both paved and mixed gravel/pavement Gran Fondos/Centuries. Works great! Plenty fast for me, I don't feel like it slows me down. I like having the lower gears than most road bikes. I use the Revelate Tangle bag for supplies and like having the 3 bottle cages available, fender/rack options, etc. I get some questions about the tires from folks who assume they can't roll very good, and some sideways looks over the non-race bike, but a lot of thumbs up over it, too. Someday I'll try some smoother 38-40ish wide tires but for now I'm happy riding with the Clements.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am leaning towards sticking with the Vaya for the Gran Fondo. No matter what I decide, the Vaya is staying in the stable for all of the above reasons. Thanks, Wileydog, for the nudge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My guess is that you're wanting to just finish it, and not "win" it. Keep the Vaya. If you want a less aggressive tire, slap a pair of 32c Conti Gatorskins or a set of Panaracer Pasela. The Vaya is a fine bike. More than enough to handle a grand fondo.

Loud hubs save lives!
    32C makes a positive difference for me as well, just makes the bike more responsive to acceleration. I'm using Schwalbe Marathon Supremes.

mtbr member
    I've taken my Vaya on a few century rides with 28c roadie tires. The bike is very comfortable even with the narrow tires. I don't think I gave up anything in terms of speed compared to a road bike(which my friends were on). I say stick with the Vaya. It's touring bike at heart which is perfect for long roads with good friends.

Ride Everything
    I'd stick with the Vaya. Mine was plenty fast when shod with nice (read, light) wheels/tires.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything