Vaya + child seat on the back?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Vaya + child seat on the back?

Hi, I'm looking for a bike that will let me do city riding, and little bit of gravel or fire roads. I also need to be able to put a child's seat on the back for the next few years.

The Vaya seems to fit the bill pretty well, and I enjoyed the one I test rode, but I've found that bikes behave very differently with a kid on the back.

Does anyone have experience putting their kid on the back of their Vaya?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I used the Thule Ride Along on my Vaya a few years ago. It was ridable, but definitely required a little more concentration and focus to ride. The extra weight made the frame flex and the bike could get a little whippy unless I was really smooth with my pedaling/cornering inputs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All bikes will handle poorly with a rear child seat. When I was hauling kids we preferred the Weeride Kangaroo over the rear seat, much better bike balance and more fun for the kids. I mounted mine to a $50 Trek and had it dedicated for kids, no need to ruin your "good" bike at that price.

If you have to have one bike for everything, including hauling kids, the Vaya can't be beat.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks all. Bikes definitely get squirrelly with kids on the back. But my guy's too big for a front seat, and since I ride in the city, I don't want a trailer.

2whl-hoop, you pic looks like the seat is in pretty tight against the saddle, which is nice - I had a Kona Big Rove for kid duty for a while, and my kid was positioned waaaaay off the back, making handling a nightmare.

Looks like the Vaya might work. And I'd get a Vaya out of it

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by subframe View Post
    Thanks all. Bikes definitely get squirrelly with kids on the back. But my guy's too big for a front seat, and since I ride in the city, I don't want a trailer.

2whl-hoop, you pic looks like the seat is in pretty tight against the saddle, which is nice - I had a Kona Big Rove for kid duty for a while, and my kid was positioned waaaaay off the back, making handling a nightmare.

Looks like the Vaya might work. And I'd get a Vaya out of it
    You might consider a flat bar Marrakesh. I would think flat bars would better handle the shifting weight of a child over the rear tire. I know it is better having flat bars with a trailabike.

mtbr member
    I can't see why it would be any more trouble than any other bike.

We have two Copilot seats, extra matching racks so all our bikes are covered, and a Chariot trailer too. Any bike will handle differently with a large rear load. And stepping over it to get on is a pain. A trailer upsets the handling less but makes a lot more work to tow.

My oldest is getting too big for the rear seat at 4yo/40#. He's an old pro on his balance bike and he should be pedaling his 16er by now but he's got rider's block... soon!